Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elotana
Dec 12, 2003

and i'm putting it all on the goddamn expense account

CaptainScraps posted:

gently caress this let's go be professors and feed the beast.
We can give Texas-style deposition lessons to lawyers from the Middle East who want to do oil and gas law and teach them our favorite Jamail-isms

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Draile
May 6, 2004

forlorn llama
Why is the AMA good at protecting the interests of doctors but the ABA is actively out to ruin the legal profession

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

I never get the last word, and it makes me very sad.

Draile posted:

Why is the AMA good at protecting the interests of doctors but the ABA is actively out to ruin the legal profession

I thought screwing everyone was the whole point of being a lawyer.

Totally Normal
Mar 29, 2003

WELLNESS!

Draile posted:

I don't know where you got the idea that the AMA is protecting the interests of doctors. They're just like the ABA (if that article represents how the ABA nomrally does bizzzzness)

billion dollar bitch
Jul 20, 2005

To drink and fight.
To fuck all night.
Finally broke my callback drought! Horray! (This is the bad part about interviewing with DC: Northern charm, Southern efficiency)

J Miracle
Mar 25, 2010
It took 32 years, but I finally figured out push-ups!
Welp didn't even get picked for an interview this year with a firm that I had 2 callbacks, a strong recommendation from faculty (former senior partner, I've gotten As in five of his classes), getting invited to a dinner thing with single-malt scotch and lox and poo poo, and bullshitting with a senior partner at a tailgate party last year.

3L OCI starting off NICE

Transcendi
Jan 6, 2004

SGT. GRUUUUUUMMBLES!

billion dollar bitch posted:

Finally broke my callback drought! Horray! (This is the bad part about interviewing with DC: Northern charm, Southern efficiency)

From what I remember, DC is generally slower on the callback turnaround time, whereas New York will basically let you know on the day of, or the day after. I wouldn't worry so much.

HooKars
Feb 22, 2006
Comeon!

J Miracle posted:

Welp didn't even get picked for an interview this year with a firm that I had 2 callbacks, a strong recommendation from faculty (former senior partner, I've gotten As in five of his classes), getting invited to a dinner thing with single-malt scotch and lox and poo poo, and bullshitting with a senior partner at a tailgate party last year.

3L OCI starting off NICE

Just have that faculty member send your resume to the firm through his own channels. It's probably preferable over OCI anyway.

I got an offer from a firm that didn't give me a callback after OCI. I just ignored that I ever interviewed with them and sent my resume in another way.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.
guess who has two thumbs, speaks limited french, and has a postgrad job

this moi :mmmhmm:

prussian advisor
Jan 15, 2007

The day you see a camera come into our courtroom, its going to roll over my dead body.

Soothing Vapors posted:

guess who has two thumbs, speaks limited french, and has a postgrad job

this moi :mmmhmm:

What kind of job?

Lykourgos
Feb 17, 2010

by T. Finn
He's a grocery bagger at Carrefour

prussian advisor
Jan 15, 2007

The day you see a camera come into our courtroom, its going to roll over my dead body.

Lykourgos posted:

He's a grocery bagger at Carrefour

Or maybe fellowship at http://www.hippopotamus.fr/

Sky's the limit when you speak a lil french...

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.
haters goan hate

prussian advisor
Jan 15, 2007

So you aren't denying it then?

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

chez hippopotamus looks p. sweet, I would totally work there

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost

Draile posted:

ABA is for-profit, AMA isn't. Also the actual cost of legal education is dirt cheap - you just need a few books in your library (all donated), a few professors, and some real estate. Law schools are a HUGE money maker for otherwise cash strapped universities. Med schools need to buy cadavers, MRI machines, scalpels/bandages, do clinics for poor people, etc etc etc.

Plus the AMA is in charge of a profession with actual skill, the ABA can suck dues out of anyone dumb enough to become a member.

BigHead fucked around with this message at 02:22 on Aug 18, 2010

franzkafka
Jun 30, 2006

kafkabot mk. II: stronger, faster & more alienated

prussian advisor posted:

Do you know any 3Ls who either worked at a firm and didn't get an offer, or who worked at non-firm jobs that either aren't in a position to make an offer yet or won't be hiring anyone next year? If so, what are they up to exactly?

I clerked for a firm for 5 of the 6 semesters of law school, summers and winters to no avail... they're too recession-screwed to hire anyone. Lucky for that CS degree or I'd still be freaking unemployed: "welcome to the IT help desk, how can I help you today?"

I'm actually helping a local gym incorporate a non-profit powerlifting program for at-risk youth, digitizing their records, doing accounting work, building excel spreadsheets (my CS thesis was in AI theory), etc. I'm thinking of calling it "of counsel" experience.

chinchilla
May 1, 2010

In their native habitat, chinchillas live in burrows or crevices in rocks. They are agile jumpers and can jump up to 6 ft (1.8 m).
The op is excellent, thanks to everyone that contributed, but one thing wasn't entirely clear. What difference does your focus in undergrad make? Any at all? Would a degree like music history (mine) be a disadvantage?

Elotana
Dec 12, 2003

chinchilla posted:

The op is excellent, thanks to everyone that contributed, but one thing wasn't entirely clear. What difference does your focus in undergrad make? Any at all? Would a degree like music history (mine) be a disadvantage?
Science makes a difference to IP firms since you can do patent prosecution (and there's a tier system there with electrical engineers at the top and biologists at the bottom). Other than that there's no difference in either the admissions game or the job market.

Ersatz
Sep 17, 2005

Gadamer posted:

what the hell is "complex Algebra"?
Enjoy.

evilweasel posted:

can I take CS courses I love programming

GregNorc posted:

can I take law courses I love arguing
I used to think you were incredibly annoying GregNorc, but you're alright.

chinchilla posted:

Some backgrounds can be advantageous if you're trying to break into a specific field of law, but so long as there's some writing involved no undergraduate major is really a disadvantage. Think of law school as starting over.

JudicialRestraints
Oct 26, 2007

Are you a LAWYER? Because I'll have you know I got GOOD GRADES in LAW SCHOOL last semester. Don't even try to argue THE LAW with me.
If someone interviewing me tells me to give HIM a call, what the gently caress does that mean?

Ersatz
Sep 17, 2005

JudicialRestraints posted:

If someone interviewing me tells me to give HIM a call, what the gently caress does that mean?
Did he wink?

JudicialRestraints
Oct 26, 2007

Are you a LAWYER? Because I'll have you know I got GOOD GRADES in LAW SCHOOL last semester. Don't even try to argue THE LAW with me.

Ersatz posted:

Did he wink?

I wish he did, I'm pretty sure sexual favors would be considered very favorably.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Anyone know of any law schools that offer auditing for their courses?

Konstantin
Jun 20, 2005
And the Lord said, "Look, they are one people, and they have all one language; and this is only the beginning of what they will do; nothing that they propose to do will now be impossible for them.

Why would you want to study US law abroad? I don't think many firms would bother with getting H1-B visas for foreigners. Maybe they'll outsource legal consultation to India and hire just enough local lawyers to make court appearances.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Konstantin posted:

Why would you want to study US law abroad? I don't think many firms would bother with getting H1-B visas for foreigners. Maybe they'll outsource legal consultation to India and hire just enough local lawyers to make court appearances.

For "legal consultation" read "transactional work" and you've just killed off every biglaw associate.

Defleshed
Nov 18, 2004

F is for... FREEDOM

BigHead posted:

ABA is for-profit, AMA isn't. Also the actual cost of legal education is dirt cheap - you just need a few books in your library (all donated), a few professors, and some real estate. Law schools are a HUGE money maker for otherwise cash strapped universities. Med schools need to buy cadavers, MRI machines, scalpels/bandages, do clinics for poor people, etc etc etc.

Plus the AMA is in charge of a profession with actual skill, the ABA can suck dues out of anyone dumb enough to become a member.

The ABA is actually a non-profit, it's just operated like a (terrible) business.

The truth of the matter is that the AMA has actually done quite a bit to protect the Medical profession, despite not everyone in the field agreeing with their approach. Working to limit the amount of doctors in the country via stringent medical school limitations has done quite a bit to not only insure that Americans are served by people who really really really want to be doctors and are therefore very good at what they do, but has also protected the profession by ensuring that the stringent requirements to become a doctor create a relative scarcity which ensures a decent standard of living for those who make the cut.

The ABA... sells overpriced books, dabbles in political battles it has no business in, and accredits any law school that can fill out an application. It's a shame that we don't have a national organization truly interested in protecting the profession.

Lykourgos
Feb 17, 2010

by T. Finn

Baruch Obamawitz posted:

For "legal consultation" read "transactional work" and you've just killed off every biglaw associate.

A good start

Roger_Mudd
Jul 18, 2003

Buglord

Defleshed posted:

It's a shame that we don't have a national organization truly interested in protecting the profession.

I'm staring a union, who's in?

GamingHyena
Jul 25, 2003

Devil's Advocate

Defleshed posted:

The ABA is actually a non-profit, it's just operated like a (terrible) business.

The truth of the matter is that the AMA has actually done quite a bit to protect the Medical profession, despite not everyone in the field agreeing with their approach. Working to limit the amount of doctors in the country via stringent medical school limitations has done quite a bit to not only insure that Americans are served by people who really really really want to be doctors and are therefore very good at what they do, but has also protected the profession by ensuring that the stringent requirements to become a doctor create a relative scarcity which ensures a decent standard of living for those who make the cut.

The ABA... sells overpriced books, dabbles in political battles it has no business in, and accredits any law school that can fill out an application. It's a shame that we don't have a national organization truly interested in protecting the profession.

I think what you're describing is part of the larger problem with the legal industry today. At some point, we're going to have to decide whether we're a profession (with all the regulations and limitations imposed on attorneys) or a business (subject to the ravages of globalization). If we're a profession, then more needs to be done to raise the barriers of entry to ensure the benefits of being an attorney are worth the extra hassle. If we're a business, then practicing law needs to be deregulated to allow us to innovate and compete globally.

What we have now is the worst of both worlds. People spend a lot of time and money getting licensed only to find out that they are forced to compete against "lawyers" in India or websites that generate legal documents. Of course no one is entitled to a job, but as members of a profession shouldn't we at least be entitled to a job market?

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

Roger_Mudd posted:

Dibs on arbitrator

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
cats are all like get this poo poo out of here

_areaman
Oct 28, 2009

Phil Moscowitz posted:

cats are all like get this poo poo out of here

I got a 175 and decided devoting my life to LSAT was more worthy than a career in law

Elotana
Dec 12, 2003

I've never heard of Knewton, are they yet another TM/PS/BP splinter group? $100/hr for teaching sounds way too good to be true.

entris
Oct 22, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Elotana posted:

I've never heard of Knewton, are they yet another TM/PS/BP splinter group? $100/hr for teaching sounds way too good to be true.

Knewton's big thing is that they are online-only test prep, if I remember correctly. Personally I am skeptical but it probably works for some people.

Defleshed
Nov 18, 2004

F is for... FREEDOM

Roger_Mudd posted:

The Wobblies are back (and headquartered in Chicago!)...

http://www.iww.org/

The problem is too many of us (well to many of you anyway) are considered the oppressor.

JudicialRestraints
Oct 26, 2007

Defleshed posted:

The Wobblies are back (and headquartered in Chicago!)...

http://www.iww.org/

The problem is too many of us (well to many of you anyway) are considered the oppressor.

My parents worked in factories and I had to work 30 hours a week (in a union) to put myself through state school. Can I sign up?

Neon Belly
Feb 12, 2008

I need something stronger.

JudicialRestraints posted:

My parents worked in factories and I had to work 30 hours a week (in a union) to put myself through state school. Can I sign up?

what do you parents feel about you also going to law school?

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.
Who has more influence over the ABA? The AmLaw 100? Plaintiff attorney organizations? I feel that accrediting foreign law schools would be complete suicide for the sector as it is shaped right now. I am surprised it even got past a committee.

_areaman posted:

I got a 175 and decided devoting my life to LSAT was more worthy than a career in law

Maybe she has kids and/or hates being a lawyer. If you quit early on enough in your career, there's not much else to do with your 1-2 years of work experience and 3 years of law school except tutor or do LSAT prep.

Maybe you could clerk, but from what I understand, most judges like clerks who are on their way to doing other things and not just looking for a shelter from the real world.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JudicialRestraints
Oct 26, 2007

Gadamer posted:

what do you parents feel about you also going to law school?

They think that it will give me a 'better life than they had.'

I disagree.

E: My mom talked to her boss (a lawyer) about the job market. His advice was "do 3L OCI it worked for me." I'm thinking of drinking a Svedka/Draino cocktail

JudicialRestraints fucked around with this message at 04:52 on Aug 19, 2010