Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

That Hornswoggle "Looney Tunes" bit was loving awful, mostly because it was just completely out of place on the show. In a different context it might have been funny (unlikely, Looney Tunes stuff is funny in Looney Tunes cartoons, not so much in any other context) but on a wrestling show it's just plain dumb.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Jerusalem posted:

That Hornswoggle "Looney Tunes" bit was loving awful, mostly because it was just completely out of place on the show. In a different context it might have been funny (unlikely, Looney Tunes stuff is funny in Looney Tunes cartoons, not so much in any other context) but on a wrestling show it's just plain dumb.

an example in which it was funny - Farscape, an example of when it is not - a wrestling show

reality_groove
Dec 27, 2007

I think it's more a consistency problem. If Hornswoggle had always used bizarre leprechaun powers to appear and disappear and escape at will, less would have been made of it.

It's the fact that he did it once and never again.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
I presume that Ron Simmons also wanted free ice cream sandwiches.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Jerusalem posted:

If anyone follows the Red Letter Media movie reviews (the guy who did those super long reviews of the Star Wars Prequels) he did a great examination of real world cartoon physical comedy in his review of Baby's Day Out that explained this well. But if one doesn't want to spend 25 minutes understanding it, those two sentences explain it pretty well!

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
Kane shot lightning from his hand once.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Burrito posted:

Kane shot lightning from his hand once.

Yeah, I thought that was silly too, just not as dumb as Hornswoggle creating a magical hole in the wall that only exists for him to run through.

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe

reality_groove posted:

I think it's more a consistency problem. If Hornswoggle had always used bizarre leprechaun powers to appear and disappear and escape at will, less would have been made of it.

It's the fact that he did it once and never again.

As Livid Liquid said, they set the rules for their universe. WWE is no different than any other TV show. In a TV show, you set up your reality, and you deem what is and isn't cool. In WWE, zombies kidnapping the daughter of the company's owner is legit. Looney Toons wackiness is not.

The AV Club did a great summary of a universe breaking its own rules in their review of the season premiere of Futurama:

quote:

To put it another way: I love The Simpsons, like any reasonable person should, and I can't stand what the show has become. I blame Frank Grimes. Season 8 is the last full season I own, and while I've seen later episodes, and enjoyed many of them (and yeah, I liked the movie), "Homer's Enemy" is where I mark the beginning of the end. Not because it's a terrible episode, but because it fundamentally and permanently undermines the series' core. "Enemy" has newcomer Frank Grimes railing against Homer's stupidity, his luck, his sloth, his grotesque ineptitude. It's a clever piece of meta-commentary on certain basic elements that have been with the show since the beginning. It gets laughs out of pointing out how ridiculous these characters are, and how monstrous they would appear to an outsider. Since the show relies on us caring about these people, this seems like an odd approach, especially eight seasons in.

Now, "Enemy" is hilarious, no question. The rub is, The Simpsons can't support that level of darkness without losing its heart. The series at its best tempered Matt Groening's Looney Tunes brand cynicism with James L. Brooks' deft emotional touch (I am grossly oversimplifying here), giving the audience the safety net of family to fall back on during even the most vicious comedy. Season 8 overall works to systematically remove that safety net (despite the sweetness of "Grade School Confidential" and "The Secret War of Lisa Simpson," among others), and "Enemy" is, for me, the breaking point. It ruins the tenuous reality of the series so profoundly that nothing they've done since has been able to entirely recover from the loss.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

bobkatt013 posted:

an example in which it was funny - Farscape, an example of when it is not - a wrestling show

Farscape was funny? News to me.

Gotta agree that the Hornswoggle bit is stupid if he only does it once, although Ron Simmons can save pretty much anything.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

Jerusalem posted:

Yeah, I thought that was silly too, just not as dumb as Hornswoggle creating a magical hole in the wall that only exists for him to run through.

Why does everyone want everything to make sense all of a sudden?

I just want to watch midgets run through walls and grown men slap each other in the chest.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Burrito posted:

I just want to watch midgets run through walls and grown men slap each other in the chest.

I will be happy with the former only if the wall breaks and he's wearing a glittery stormtrooper mask.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

Jerusalem posted:

I will be happy with the former only if the wall breaks and he's wearing a glittery stormtrooper mask.

Who was it that was Shockmaster in that backstage segment a few months back?

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Burrito posted:

Arn Anderson.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Captain Charisma posted:

The AV Club did a great summary of a universe breaking its own rules in their review of the season premiere of Futurama:

The Grimes episode was one of the best Simpsons episodes ever. What a terrible example.

Ziggy Tzardust
Apr 7, 2006

Lone Rogue posted:

The Grimes episode was one of the best Simpsons episodes ever. What a terrible example.

Yeah. The guy seems like a bit of a miserable guy. Perhaps he lives above a bowling alley and below another bowling alley.

El Axo Grande
Apr 2, 2005

by T. Finn
There is literally no one on this earth more pathetic than a television critic.

My son could be a murderous nazi hooker but if he ever became a television critic I would disown him

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Everyone knows the true mark where the Simpsons went down hill is the 200th episode with Homer getting a wacky job, celebrities, a ridiculous deus ex machina ending and everything else.

Umbra Dubium
Nov 23, 2007

The British Empire was built on cups of tea, and if you think I'm going into battle without one, you're sorely mistaken!

Burrito posted:

Santino wore the helmet, Arn Anderson did the voice.

Ziggy Tzardust
Apr 7, 2006

MassRayPer posted:

Everyone knows the true mark where the Simpsons went down hill is the 200th episode with Homer getting a wacky job, celebrities, a ridiculous deus ex machina ending and everything else.

Howwever, that one did have one of my favourite lines in the show

"Woah. Staff only"
"Potato man"
"Where the hell have you been?"

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

MassRayPer posted:

Eh, I'm more lenient than that and say that Phil Hartman's death was what ultimately killed the show for me.

Anyway, content: As far as Daniel Bryan's technique is concerned, is there really any difference between the omoplata crossface and the arm trap version? I was looking at some gifs and pictures of it, and I couldn't really tell the difference.

Ziggy Tzardust
Apr 7, 2006

Kerck Pnameless posted:

Eh, I'm more lenient than that and say that Phil Hartman's death was what ultimately killed the show for me.

Anyway, content: As far as Daniel Bryan's technique is concerned, is there really any difference between the omoplata crossface and the arm trap version? I was looking at some gifs and pictures of it, and I couldn't really tell the difference.

The arm-trap basically has the arm between the thighs or calves and pulls the shoulder away from the torso with leg strangth. The omoplata version loops the arm around the near-leg and wrenches the arm upwards like a hammerlock/Kimura-lock.

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

Ziggy Tsardust posted:

The arm-trap basically has the arm between the thighs or calves and pulls the shoulder away from the torso with leg strangth. The omoplata version loops the arm around the near-leg and wrenches the arm upwards like a hammerlock/Kimura-lock.

It also looks like it would make it more difficult to escape from, because you're not going to get any leverage on the trapped arm; can't push against the mat or against Bryan to ease the tension. You're probably also going to have trouble rolling out of it like people would do to Benoit, since you'd be putting a hell of a lot of stress on your arm if you did.

El Axo Grande
Apr 2, 2005

by T. Finn

Ziggy Tsardust posted:

It also acts as an elbow lock along with the chokehold. If you notice, Bryan does it so he is bending the arm back the wrong way too.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Burrito posted:

I will respond to you with the same response I hear when anyone says something dumb has happened on wrestling: it's wrestling.
So you must think Bischoff/Hogan/Warrior in the mirror moment was just fine and dandy.

warbrides
May 11, 2009

Say what you will about HHH, he's fantastic at selling.

El Axo Grande
Apr 2, 2005

by T. Finn

LividLiquid posted:

So you must think Bischoff/Hogan/Warrior in the mirror moment was just fine and dandy.

Actually back when I watched that I had literally no problem with it because that was the only way the angle could have worked

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

El Axo Grande posted:

Actually back when I watched that I had literally no problem with it because that was the only way the angle could have worked
...Really?!

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

LividLiquid posted:

Take Bischoff out of it, it would have been fine. Had Hogan gone in the dressing room, Warrior appears in the mirror, Hogan freaks out and throws a chair at the mirror, Bischoff runs in and Hogan claims he seen Warrior in the mirror. Bischoff questions Hogan's sanity, scene. Instead, Bischoff is there the entire time and because the viewer saw it and Hogan saw it, it makes Bischoff look like a complete idiot.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...

LividLiquid posted:

...Really?!

Its not really that surprising, Ax is pretty consistently post modern in his view of things and I don't think respecting the logical integrity of pro wrestling is a very important criteria to his enjoyment of the product.

I thought that the mirror poo poo was dumb as hell but I was like 18 then and also though Rush was the greatest band ever. It wouldn't bother me now.

El Axo Grande
Apr 2, 2005

by T. Finn

LividLiquid posted:

...Really?!

Look at it like this

If Hogan saw it, but the audience couldn't, then it would have lost the eerie supernatural effect the entire thing was going for. If Bischoff could have seen it, it would have lost the sense of the Warrior's "power" over Hogan. Also, it would have made the viewer see the effect as a parlor trick, and not as the Warrior having magic or whatever. The announcers, in my opinion, always act like a companion to the viewer, not the wrestlers. They are like the Greek chorus narrating events in a way that breaks the fourth wall. If you consider it like that, of course the announcers had to have seen it in order to relate the narrative to the audience.

While Hogan seeing Warrior in the mirror when Bischoff couldnt but everyone else could made no logical sense, it made perfect narrative sense. For what they were trying to go for with the segment, that was the most effective way to present it.

El Axo Grande fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Aug 18, 2010

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Whilst watching a basketball game, would you buy this kind of thing happening? We are supposed to be watching a sport.

This, and only this in a very broad sense, is why wrestling isn't cool anymore. It's a live action cartoon and not treated as the sport it is pretending to be. UFC is eating wrestling's lunch and poo poo like that is exactly why.

If you, as a booker, ever say, "It's only wrestling. Who cares?" then nobody will.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...

LividLiquid posted:

If you, as a booker, ever say, "It's only wrestling. Who cares?" then nobody will.

Thats not what he said, at all.

El Duke Silver
Aug 15, 2008

rarely goes out and should never be approached

El Axo Grande posted:

Look at it like this

If Hogan saw it, but the audience couldn't, then it would have lost the eerie supernatural effect the entire thing was going for. If Bischoff could have seen it, it would have lost the sense of the Warrior's "power" over Hogan. The announcers, in my opinion, always act like a companion to the viewer, not the wrestlers. They are like the Greek chorus narrating events in a way that breaks the fourth wall. If you consider it like that, of course the announcers had to have seen it in order to relate the narrative to the audience.

While Hogan seeing Warrior in the mirror when Bischoff couldnt but everyone else could made no logical sense, it made perfect narrative sense. For what they were trying to go for with the segment, that was the most effective way to present it.

The announcers not saying anything during the segment and ending the show on it would have been better, IMO. I agree that they are narrators for the show, but the problem is they can't be considered truly like a traditional chorus, as they are regularly involved. The entire thing put them in an odd position, and I think the best way to handle it would have been to remove them from it entirely.

Ice To Meet You
Mar 5, 2007

LividLiquid posted:

Whilst watching a basketball game, would you buy this kind of thing happening? We are supposed to be watching a sport.

Maybe you are.

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

LividLiquid posted:

I would buy it if I was watching jokey fake sports like Rollerjam or wrestling. also, "whilst" lol

El Axo Grande
Apr 2, 2005

by T. Finn
Hey, remember that baseball game last night?

The one where Alex Rodriguez was filmed backstage with the coach plotting on how they were going to doublecross Derek Jeter by joining the Red Sox?

It was just before the Undead Lord of Darkness hit that homerun pitched by the Leprechaun

WeaselWeaz
Apr 11, 2004

Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Biscuits and Gravy.

El Axo Grande posted:

The one where Alex Rodriguez was filmed backstage with the coach plotting on how they were going to doublecross Derek Jeter by joining the Red Sox?

It was just before the Undead Lord of Darkness hit that homerun pitched by the Leprechaun

Just because we accept a lot of ridiculous poo poo doesn't mean we have to accept all of it.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

WeaselWeaz posted:

Just because we accept a lot of ridiculous poo poo doesn't mean we have to accept all of it.

I think Ax was simply commenting on the flat out ludicrousness of the basketball analogy.

Edwardian
May 4, 2010

"Can we have a bit of decorum on this forum?"

El Axo Grande posted:

I would watch a gently caress of a lot more baseball if Ax held the book.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carbon Tiger
Nov 4, 2008

WeaselWeaz posted:

I think it's more of a problem of plotting then outright silliness in a lot of cases. The Chavo tunnel on wall bit is good for a chuckle but man it totally does not fit at all. It breaks too many of the internal rules of the WWE Universe as it were and as it's set up.

Chakira's outright silliness fits perfectly in it's own little comic book universe of evil cults, magic gems, secret finishing moves, and whatever the hell Dragon Dragon is because their consistent in their plotting. For all of the silly involved the fact the fed has storyline elements going back three years speaks to how good their pacing is.

Magical leprechauns doesn't fit the WWE's in story reality at all. On the other end of the spectrum stuff like "I just kicked Stan!" does fit and still manages to be funny. As for WCW and the magical mirror Warrior that's just a case of WCW having no idea what the gently caress their doing at a base level and totally messing up on every level and only getting across that Bish is a gigantic tool.