Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Albu-quirky Guy
Nov 8, 2005

Still stuck in the Land of Entrapment
I am apparently Royro Mache.

Bene Elim posted:

Actual question: What is the benefit, if any, to holding a lightsaber in a reverse-grip, as Starkiller, Ashoka and apparently now Revan do?

Somewhere on Wookieepedia it mentions different saber styles - one of them is geared toward defending against multiple opponents using blasters. Supposedly that one teaches the use of the backwards lightsaber, as it is somehow a better grip for waving your blade around deflecting blaster bolts I guess.

Edit: Oh hey there new page, I found you the link: http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Form_V:_Shien_/_Djem_So

Albu-quirky Guy fucked around with this message at 02:22 on Aug 18, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drighton
Nov 30, 2005

Throb Robinson posted:

Off topic.

I can't get over the fact this picture is canon. Satyrs and spears and arrows. Add this to EU.jpg please.

Is this supposed to be from that era where Jedi had their lightsabers tethered to battery-fanny-packs?

Milky Moor posted:

Gentlemen, I give you peak EU.jpg:

THIS WAS IN AN ACTUAL PUBLISHED BOOK. Play 'Spot the thing from Lord of the Rings', there's a lot of them!

There is the dude in the middle, totally firing an arrow in the wrong direction, that looks like he's from Rohan. Actually he looks like the old fart that shot the first arrow in Two Towers.

Drighton fucked around with this message at 02:58 on Aug 18, 2010

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

Drighton posted:

Is this supposed to be from that era where Jedi had their lightsabers tethered to battery-fanny-packs?

No, that picture takes place 2,000 years after KoTOR.

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

Re: ToR space combat. Looks a lot more fun now that I've seen the video.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I guess I'm Froth Chann now, the best Barista in the Galaxy.

I got a question, which I'm sure comes up all the time but it was bugging me at work today. What os the canonical explanation for the staggering number of humans seen in the films/books. Is it that the central part of the galaxy is particularly rife with them, humans killed everybody off in a series of brutal wars, or did they get really frisky with a cloner to outpace everyones reproductive cycles?

Albu-quirky Guy
Nov 8, 2005

Still stuck in the Land of Entrapment

Barudak posted:

I guess I'm Froth Chann now, the best Barista in the Galaxy.

I got a question, which I'm sure comes up all the time but it was bugging me at work today. What os the canonical explanation for the staggering number of humans seen in the films/books. Is it that the central part of the galaxy is particularly rife with them, humans killed everybody off in a series of brutal wars, or did they get really frisky with a cloner to outpace everyones reproductive cycles?

Someone mentioned in the last thread that humans are overall more adaptive than most other intergalactic species. In a universe where nearly every planet has the same climate, we are apparently better suited to surviving in new habitats.

Beef Hardcheese
Jan 21, 2003

HOW ABOUT I LASH YOUR SHIT

SmokaDustbowl posted:

Oh man, are you serious? That sounds loving awesome. I was always disappointed how ineffectual Jedis were without their sabers. I've gotta check that out now.

This reminds me of something I daydreamed or maybe remembered about back before Episode II; rumors of them trying to cast Jet Li as a "Sith Ninja" of some sort. I pictured him letting himself become captured, having his lightsaber taken away, and someone snidely commenting about how he is now helpless without his weapon. To which he responds, "For a Jedi, a lightsaber is a crutch. I am no Jedi." And then proceeds to flip the gently caress out and kill everyone with ninja Force powers. :black101:

It would have served as an interesting counterpoint when compared to both Yoda lifting the X-Wing out of the swamp, and Palpatine's spitting dismissal of Luke's "Jedi weapon". I wish the prequels had shown more Jedi / Sith doing things without their lightsabers. :(

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro
Man, Star Wars was cool enough as it as. It doesn't need giant-rear end regal weasels and stegosaurus mounts.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Simon Draskovic posted:

This reminds me of something I daydreamed or maybe remembered about back before Episode II; rumors of them trying to cast Jet Li as a "Sith Ninja" of some sort. I pictured him letting himself become captured, having his lightsaber taken away, and someone snidely commenting about how he is now helpless without his weapon. To which he responds, "For a Jedi, a lightsaber is a crutch. I am no Jedi." And then proceeds to flip the gently caress out and kill everyone with ninja Force powers. :black101:

It would have served as an interesting counterpoint when compared to both Yoda lifting the X-Wing out of the swamp, and Palpatine's spitting dismissal of Luke's "Jedi weapon". I wish the prequels had shown more Jedi / Sith doing things without their lightsabers. :(

That would have been cooler than anything in the prequels.

DorianGravy
Sep 12, 2007

Simon Draskovic posted:

I'm glad you brought up that point about Palpatine being so dismissive of lightsabers in Jedi. It just showed how above things he was, further cementing the point that Yoda, in Episode II, should have had something special up his sleeve rather than just spinning around wildly with his lightsaber.

Beef Hardcheese
Jan 21, 2003

HOW ABOUT I LASH YOUR SHIT

DorianGravy posted:

I'm glad you brought up that point about Palpatine being so dismissive of lightsabers in Jedi. It just showed how above things he was, further cementing the point that Yoda, in Episode II, should have had something special up his sleeve rather than just spinning around wildly with his lightsaber.

Exactly. Yoda and Palpatine both understood (in their own, diametrically opposed ways) deeper truths about the Force beyond what anyone else did in the OT. To see them bouncing and spinning around in the prequels really took a lot away from that.

That being said, are there any Force-users in the EU who manage to have Yoda or Palpatine-type levels of understanding of the Force, and are able to hold themselves apart in a similar fashion? The only one that immediately comes to mind might be Kreia from KOTOR II.

Thunderscreech
Aug 18, 2009

DorianGravy posted:

The novelization of RoTS (I think it was that) had an interesting tidbit about Palpatine. Master of the long con, he put his lightsaber into a statue a decade earlier then had it put in his office. Then when it was finally time for him to deal with the approaching jedi arrest squad, he just turned it on and let it extract itself. 10 years... This was one patient guy.

Throb Robinson
Feb 8, 2010

He would enjoy administering the single antidote to Leia. He would enjoy it very much indeed..

Simon Draskovic posted:

That being said, are there any Force-users in the EU who manage to have Yoda or Palpatine-type levels of understanding of the Force, and are able to hold themselves apart in a similar fashion? The only one that immediately comes to mind might be Kreia from KOTOR II.

I will take every chance I can get to pimp Luke Skywalker and the shadows of Mindor. The Force philosophy in there while Eventually wrong is so killer and well done that you buy it when your reading.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Throb Robinson posted:

I will take every chance I can get to pimp Luke Skywalker and the shadows of Mindor. The Force philosophy in there while Eventually wrong is so killer and well done that you buy it when your reading.

Do you mind spoiling this? I went on Wookiepedia to find more but they don't even have a summary that gives me the scantest bit of info on what you're talking about.

Darth Freddy
Feb 6, 2007

An Emperor's slightest dislike is transmitted to those who serve him, and there it is amplified into rage.

Pththya-lyi posted:

Speaking of terrible Star Wars names, here's how you make up your own! This is buried deep in the last thread, but I think it's worth posting again.

-For the first name, take the first three letters of your surname and add the first two letters of your first name.
-For the surname, take the first two letters of your mother's maiden name and add the first three letters of your birthplace.

For example, John Smith's mother's maiden name was Baker and he was born in New York City, so his Star Wars surname is Smijo Banew.

My name is Linka Huwas, and I sound like a Clone Wars-era Jedi who died like a punk at Geonosis. :downsbravo:

EDIT: Bolded important parts in the example.

I am Smifr Bualm....it kind of works wow.

Throb Robinson
Feb 8, 2010

He would enjoy administering the single antidote to Leia. He would enjoy it very much indeed..

Barudak posted:

Do you mind spoiling this? I went on Wookiepedia to find more but they don't even have a summary that gives me the scantest bit of info on what you're talking about.

The baddie in the book teaches Luke how there is no Light and Dark Side. Only a Dark Side with no light side at all. Its really depressing and talks about how entropy is the only constant of life. The kicker of it all is at the end Luke figures out how there is a Light and Dark side in the philosophy the Baddie spouts. Those few pages about the light side are one of the best the EU has to offer.

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

While we are requesting descriptions of things from books, one thing I've always wanted more explanation for was the "Darth Vader space-googles his son; Mara catches him". Just curious as to how that actually went down.

Throb Robinson
Feb 8, 2010

Its pretty much as it sounds. Mara Jade walks into a place that in my mind looks like a college computer lab late at night to find Vader on the computer googling Luke in the Imperial database. Vader flips his poo poo when he sees her looking over his shoulder and starts ranting. Its great.

Mister_Eel
Jun 29, 2007

SmokaDustbowl posted:

Oh, okay! I mean poo poo! Darth Vader just hit Obi Wan once and he disappeared! Totally lame. And man, all those space fighters just shooting around everywhere!

I could try and explain my views on why I think it's stupid to have over the top crap, but I'm honestly not that good with words. But someone already did it for me! Yay!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ORWPCCzSgu0

Skip ahead to 5:50 and you'll understand exactly what I'm talking about.

What makes Star Wars so great isn't just the fighting, its about the characters, the internal conflicts people have to deal with(like resisting the dark side), and all that other "deep" stuff. Once you start having these over the top choreographed fight scenes, it takes away from the struggle the characters are actully going through. I really wish people would watch this video where he talks about how you can move the audience without flashy effects and unnecessary "dancing" during fight scenes. That's what made the OT duels so great. Like Luke losing his poo poo and chopping off Vader's arm, or the way Obi-Wan gets cut down. They're not good because of the choreography, they're good because you see what the characters are going through emotionally and you actually see the characters evolve in front of your eyes. You see Luke mature in his use of the force after he chops off dad's hand. He would rather let the Emperor kill him then use the dark side.

I know a lot of what I'm saying sounds like I'm over-analyzing things, but I believe that a lot of the reasons the prequels suck so hard is because of bullshit like these retarded lightsaber duels, and once everything becomes so choreographed it looks like people are dancing when they should be fighting.

On a final note, if you also go to 9:40 on that video you can hear Lucas talk about special effects. To hear him talk like that honestly makes me a little teary eyed. To think that Lucas actually thought that way at one point, then to look at the way he is now honestly depresses me as an adult fan of Star Wars.

The Prequels could have been so great. They could have recaptured the magic of the OT. Instead they are garbage that were made for nothing other then toy sales, and I honestly believe it all began with someone saying something along the lines of "Lets make the Jedi over the top!".

Anyways enough of my rant. I think I'm just depressed because of how much of an effect Star Wars use to have on me. Now I "psh" at just about everything not related to the OT or Thrawn.

Mister_Eel fucked around with this message at 05:08 on Aug 18, 2010

Throb Robinson
Feb 8, 2010

Mister_Eel posted:

Now I "psh" at just about everything not related to the OT or Thrawn.

I fail to see an issue.

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

Throb Robinson posted:

The baddie in the book teaches Luke how there is no Light and Dark Side. Only a Dark Side with no light side at all. Its really depressing and talks about how entropy is the only constant of life. The kicker of it all is at the end Luke figures out how there is a Light and Dark side in the philosophy the Baddie spouts. Those few pages about the light side are one of the best the EU has to offer.

Don't forget how the bad guy, in true mustache twirling fashion, tries to Force-possess Leia only to find out that she is way more of a unbreakable than even Luke is.

dadsdementia.jpg
Jul 17, 2010

by Ozma
Is Anikin's midichlorean count lower after he gets all his arms and legs and stuff chopped off?

Traxus IV
Sep 11, 2001

it's our time now
let's get this shit started

Mister_Eel posted:

I think I'm just depressed because of how much of an effect Star Wars use to have on me. Now I "psh" at just about everything not related to the OT or Thrawn.
Yeah, I'm pretty much this same way. I loved Star Wars for so long that I've essentially burnt out on it and am just so tired of all the garbage that gets included in every new Star Wars project. The wide-eyed wonder of the original movies has given way to the cynical sneer of everything else (save for a few rare gems, like the Thrawn stuff). But I keep reading summaries and following Star Wars news because I can't let it go even though I have zero interest in these new books and games and everything. Star Wars might be great again someday, and I really want to give it that chance. I feel like a battered spouse. :(

Pththya-lyi posted:

Speaking of terrible Star Wars names, here's how you make up your own! This is buried deep in the last thread, but I think it's worth posting again.

-For the first name, take the first three letters of your surname and add the first two letters of your first name.
-For the surname, take the first two letters of your mother's maiden name and add the first three letters of your birthplace.
Going by these rules I'd be Krama Whwya. Authentic Star Wars Name terribleness! How would you even say that poo poo.

Mister_Eel
Jun 29, 2007

Traxus IV posted:

Yeah, I'm pretty much this same way. I loved Star Wars for so long that I've essentially burnt out on it and am just so tired of all the garbage that gets included in every new Star Wars project. The wide-eyed wonder of the original movies has given way to the cynical sneer of everything else (save for a few rare gems, like the Thrawn stuff). But I keep reading summaries and following Star Wars news because I can't let it go even though I have zero interest in these new books and games and everything. Star Wars might be great again someday, and I really want to give it that chance. I feel like a battered spouse. :(

Going by these rules I'd be Krama Whwya. Authentic Star Wars Name terribleness! How would you even say that poo poo.

Yeah I'm pretty much the same way. I still buy Lego Star Wars sets and the occasional action figure. I still hold out hope that one day it will recapture my imagination.

Throb Robinson
Feb 8, 2010

Angry Midwesterner posted:

Don't forget how the bad guy, in true mustache twirling fashion, tries to Force-possess Leia only to find out that she is way more of a unbreakable than even Luke is.

If your going to mention the Mustache twirling you have to mention the fact that the dude is being a Stereotypical evil villain on purpose. The baddie is very self aware of the fact he is playing the role of the bad guy to Luke and Company.

Thunderscreech
Aug 18, 2009

Mister_Eel posted:

To think that Lucas actually thought that way at one point, then to look at the way he is now honestly depresses me as an adult fan of Star Wars.
Sadly, between then and now he discovered that he gets his powers from moneychlorians.

DorianGravy
Sep 12, 2007

Mister_Eel posted:

Yeah I'm pretty much the same way. I still buy Lego Star Wars sets and the occasional action figure. I still hold out hope that one day it will recapture my imagination.

If you don't take it too seriously, and kind of regard it without comparing it to the original trilogy, the ongoing Clone Wars cartoon is really pretty entertaining. The characters are actually rather bearable, unlike the prequels, and some pretty neat stuff happens.

If you're at all interested, two episodes are available on the website for streaming: http://www.starwars.com/theclonewars/. Just go down to "Watch episodes online." For the most part, watching episodes in order isn't too important, so you can just jump in anywhere. Neither are top-notch episodes, but will give you a feel for the show. Whatever you do, though, don't watch that awful "movie" that started the show.

Mister_Eel
Jun 29, 2007

DorianGravy posted:

If you don't take it too seriously, and kind of regard it without comparing it to the original trilogy, the ongoing Clone Wars cartoon is really pretty entertaining. The characters are actually rather bearable, unlike the prequels, and some pretty neat stuff happens.

If you're at all interested, two episodes are available on the website for streaming: http://www.starwars.com/theclonewars/. Just go down to "Watch episodes online." For the most part, watching episodes in order isn't too important, so you can just jump in anywhere. Neither are top-notch episodes, but will give you a feel for the show. Whatever you do, though, don't watch that awful "movie" that started the show.

Yeah I actually watched a couple of them, the ones where they were chasing come kind of Seperatist ship with a super-emp-pulsing thingamajiger on it. I stopped once they flew through a herd of space animals or something. I thought it was a little too cheesy.

Thunderscreech posted:

Sadly, between then and now he discovered that he gets his powers from moneychlorians.

I can't really blame him for wanting to make money, but he really is the definition of a sell out.

Not A Bear
Nov 4, 2009

my cat is norris posted:

Re: ToR space combat. Looks a lot more fun now that I've seen the video.

It really does, I was fearing some WoW or EVE hybrid, which would have been the worst possible thing imaginable, I'm just hoping for customizable ships now! Looks like you'll be able to wander around inside some of the bigger ones as well, which is another fantastic addition!

Literally cannot wait for this to come out, even after swearing off MMO's completely!

Kemper Boyd
Aug 6, 2007

no kings, no gods, no masters but a comfy chair and no socks

T-1000 posted:

I can think of maybe three competent bad guys, the rest are just moustache-twirling eeeevil.

Thrawn, Zsinj and Isard?

I thought about it for a moment, and Isard is pretty much interchangeable with Daala, except Isard actually manages to appear competent at something, but ultimately falls because of her flaws.

Zsinj is interesting because of how Allston has written him. He appears as an actual military and political threat instead of just a big bad evil.

Bene Elim
Feb 9, 2010

The beast from Crete that can't be beat!
^^ I'd have said Kreia or Darth Revan were pretty competant. Hell, even Mandalore the Ultimate. Ok, so they were all eventually defeated, but not by their own stupidity.

Mister_Eel posted:

Speaking of which, are there any Jedis that fight hand to hand?
There is a group of Jedi that do this. They are known as Force Warriors. I quite like the concept, partially because telekinetically punching someone across the room is awesome, but mostly because so many jedi are so quick to get their lightsabers out for go god-damned reason. Any Jedi with the slightest amount of skill should be able to block a blaster shot with the Force. Trigger happy idiots.

ahem...

Albu-quirky Guy posted:

Somewhere on Wookieepedia it mentions different saber styles
Stop. Now. The idea that there are different forms using different movements that Jedi practice and that you can see which ones they're using in the films is one of my biggest gripes at the moment. There's more than enough Sperging about them done on various forums, so suffice to say drop them, never talk much about them and never take them seriously. The 'Forms' have grown purely out of the choreographed crap that filled the prequels.

Milky Moor posted:

THIS WAS IN AN ACTUAL PUBLISHED BOOK. Play 'Spot the thing from Lord of the Rings', there's a lot of them!
Is that a giant Laser canon on that for want of a better word Oliphant's back? Yet another level of WTF.

T-1000
Mar 28, 2010

Kemper Boyd posted:

Thrawn, Zsinj and Isard?

I thought about it for a moment, and Isard is pretty much interchangeable with Daala, except Isard actually manages to appear competent at something, but ultimately falls because of her flaws.

Zsinj is interesting because of how Allston has written him. He appears as an actual military and political threat instead of just a big bad evil.
That was a bit of a throwaway line on my part. I guess they'd be the best I know of. I haven't read any of the later stuff.
Isard actually ruled the entire empire for what, a few years at least? And created a supervirus that killed a crapton of aliens. If her biotechs had been better she could have pulled that plan off. She ultimately fell because her top agent double-crossed her (because she was such a bitch) and because someone escaped her inescapable prison. Otherwise she could have stayed put a while longer, sending out more sleepers to do various acts of nastiness.

As opposed to Daala who - if I recall KJA's abomination of a series - pushed papers and twiddled her thumbs at some secret base for a decade, not bothering to wonder why they'd had no contact with the outside world at all.
Then she proceeded to lose a star destroyer every battle, then lost some more ships, then ran off and sulked. I can't remember. Did she ever win a battle? And then she came back later in some craptacular books?

Zsinj was fun because he had a million schemes running at once, and schemes within his schemes - tracking robots and ion minefields and evil alien experiments and cloaking devices and stealing star destroyers. Little touches like only showing visitors a fake bridge, full of squabbling officers, dueling stormies and guys playing TIE Fighter. Or luring enemies to an asteroid field and blowing up the asteroids. He's the closest thing star wars has to Lex Luthor.

Bene Elim posted:

^^ I'd have said Kreia or Darth Revan were pretty competant. Hell, even Mandalore the Ultimate. Ok, so they were all eventually defeated, but not by their own stupidity.
I can't say, I'm not particularly familiar with any of them. Still finishing KOTOR 1. Revan isn't a developed enough character to compare to the others.

Bene Elim posted:

Stop. Now. The idea that there are different forms using different movements that Jedi practice and that you can see which ones they're using in the films is one of my biggest gripes at the moment. There's more than enough Sperging about them done on various forums, so suffice to say drop them, never talk much about them and never take them seriously. The 'Forms' have grown purely out of the choreographed crap that filled the prequels.
Spot freaking on. Different forms of fictional swordfighting with different made-up names for them is an incredibly stupid idea. Just tie it to the characters. Obi Wan has a cautious, defensive style. Samuel L. Jackson has a more elaborate, aggressive style (at least, I rememeber more lunging and swinging his arms around). Luke Skywalker has no clue what he's doing in ESB, is more balanced by the start of ROTJ, and goes totally nuts at the end. Vader is just a bastard who does whatever is easy at the time.

edit:

Bene Elim posted:

Any Jedi with the slightest amount of skill should be able to block a blaster shot with the Force. Trigger happy idiots.
One of the coolest bits in ESB is when they open the door on Cloud City and Vader is just standing there, Han draws and shoots him straight away, Vader just handblocks the shot and pulls the gun out of his hand. Such a simple sequence that conveys so much more than techno-chaos. They pretty much abandoned this in the prequels and every video game I ever played - it's all lightsaber. The only book I ever read of it in was I, Jedi where the main guy and his grandfather specialise in pulling energy out of blaster shots, lightsabers and explosions - cool but maybe going a bit too far.

T-1000 fucked around with this message at 09:03 on Aug 18, 2010

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Zsinj was probably the greatest villain ever, sharing first place with Thrawn. Courtship of Princess Leia was such a terrible book for him to die in :(

SubHorror
Jul 25, 2007

"Take her to my quarters. It's time to begin her training..."

T-1000 posted:

One of the coolest bits in ESB is when they open the door on Cloud City and Vader is just standing there, Han draws and shoots him straight away, Vader just handblocks the shot and pulls the gun out of his hand. Such a simple sequence that conveys so much more than techno-chaos. They pretty much abandoned this in the prequels and every video game I ever played - it's all lightsaber. The only book I ever read of it in was I, Jedi where the main guy and his grandfather specialise in pulling energy out of blaster shots, lightsabers and explosions - cool but maybe going a bit too far.

Well, they are able to block lightsabers with their hands in ToR, so what Vader does on Cloud City should be the easiest trick in the book for any Jedi.

By the way, my Star Wars name would be Wolfl Drwie and even in the last thread no one could bind it to any species or occupation. I just don't know anymore, maybe I'm not cut out for being in Star Wars. :saddowns:

ZeeToo
Feb 20, 2008

I'm a kitty!

T-1000 posted:

As opposed to Daala who - if I recall KJA's abomination of a series - pushed papers and twiddled her thumbs at some secret base for a decade, not bothering to wonder why they'd had no contact with the outside world at all.
Then she proceeded to lose a star destroyer every battle, then lost some more ships, then ran off and sulked. I can't remember. Did she ever win a battle? And then she came back later in some craptacular books?

I've been going through KJA's stuff for that Book Barn thread (shameless plug), and I can safely say that, yes, Daala wins in Darksaber. :unsmith: Exactly one battle. :smith: Against space Amish with no weapons or defensive-anything. And it took her 200 Star Destroyers to do that. :smithicide:

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

Drighton posted:

There is the dude in the middle, totally firing an arrow in the wrong direction, that looks like he's from Rohan. Actually he looks like the old fart that shot the first arrow in Two Towers.

I'm pretty sure that's Gamling. And it's from when he rides under the Mumakil and shoots arrows at it.

quote:

Is Anikin's midichlorean count lower after he gets all his arms and legs and stuff chopped off?

I'm pretty sure George Lucas said it is, which is why Palpatine wanted a new apprentice to eventually replace Vader since he was weakened after his battle with Obi-Wan.

T-1000
Mar 28, 2010

SubHorror posted:

Well, they are able to block lightsabers with their hands in ToR, so what Vader does on Cloud City should be the easiest trick in the book for any Jedi.
The concept of a lightsaber can be understood by a three year old or a caveman, but Bioware want to interpret it differently? gah.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

ZeeToo posted:

I've been going through KJA's stuff for that Book Barn thread (shameless plug), and I can safely say that, yes, Daala wins in Darksaber. :unsmith: Exactly one battle. :smith: Against space Amish with no weapons or defensive-anything. And it took her 200 Star Destroyers to do that. :smithicide:

how did she even get 200 star destroyers?

T-1000
Mar 28, 2010

Biplane posted:

how did she even get 200 star destroyers?
Didn't she somehow get every warlord in one room and kill them? Every warlord that had spent a decade trying to kill each other. Every warlord that would have reason to be paranoid for traps from the republic or each other. Not representatives of every warlord, not a conference call with holograms. Every warlord, physically in one room, unarmed and defenceless.

Although killing the leader the first time made the empire fragment, killing the sub-leaders forged them all back together.

And even though Pellaeon had actual combat experience compared to the desk admiral, he just went along with it. The best excuse I can think of is as soon as Thrawn went down, Pellaeon kind of ran his life into the gutter and became a bit of a nihilist. Those were the lost years, where he just went along with whatever crazy plan sounded entertaining. Every night he'd sit alone on the darkened bridge, drinking heavily and screaming obscenities at the TV screen like Hervé Villechaize did.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bene Elim
Feb 9, 2010

The beast from Crete that can't be beat!

T-1000 posted:

The concept of a lightsaber can be understood by a three year old or a caveman, but Bioware want to interpret it differently? gah.
It's less 'grab the blade' and more 'put up a telekinetic barrier that stops it touching them'.

Yoda's done it (as a third party) against Ventress in the CG series, Shaak Ti did it against Grievous in the 'original' clone wars cartoon, and the girl in the 'Hope' cinematic did it as well. I suppose you could even attribute it to the KotOR characters, at least the Jedi ones who survive lightsaber fights unarmed (the non-jedi ones are just plain lucky).

One of the reasons I love KotOR (II) so much is the flawless intertwining of force powers into lightsaber combat(and making it look good) and the use of unarmed combat. My favourite trick in TSL is to freeze the Sith bum-rushing you in place and then go slap him to death. I really hope you can do that in TOR.