Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

T-1000 posted:

The concept of a lightsaber can be understood by a three year old or a caveman, but Bioware want to interpret it differently? gah.

How do we know said Jedi didn't have those weird personal shields on that the Jedi Knight and KOTOR series has introduced?

Fanwanking makes things easier for me with this franchise these days.

Anywho another one of the many reasons that LOTF sucks Daala ends up as the leader of the Imperial , gently caress off. And gently caress off LOTF for killing off Pellaeon.

I can't understand why moronic characters made by KJA end up ontop while much better ones are killed off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

SeanBeansShako posted:

How do we know said Jedi didn't have those weird personal shields on that the Jedi Knight and KOTOR series has introduced?

Fanwanking makes things easier for me with this franchise these days.

Anywho another one of the many reasons that LOTF sucks Daala ends up as the leader of the Imperial , gently caress off. And gently caress off LOTF for killing off Pellaeon.

I can't understand why moronic characters made by KJA end up ontop while much better ones are killed off.

More like Daala ends up the leader of the New New Republic. And somehow a fighter jock got elevated to the Emperor spot in the same paragraph.

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

I just want to thank all of you for continuing to keep me away from all the Star Wars EU books I've been avoiding.

I've only ever read Zahn's books. I had no idea that so much other poo poo was out there.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

arioch posted:

More like Daala ends up the leader of the New New Republic. And somehow a fighter jock got elevated to the Emperor spot in the same paragraph.

Is there any way we can choose Emperor Bowie still?

Slantedfloors
Apr 29, 2008

Wait, What?

arioch posted:

Didn't Turr Phennir end up as the head of the military or something?

Terrible.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

More like Mediocrity of The Force.

AcridWhistle
Aug 20, 2003

Feasting on the flesh of a recently killed zombie probably wasn't the smartest of moves

SeanBeansShako posted:

How many ways are there to defeat a lightsaber now? In the OT trilogy weren't they pretty much only countered by another lightsaber? Then again the some of the original artwork showed stormtroopers carrying shields but that was when they had lightsabers also.

MANDALORIAN Iron

Telekinesis, apparently

Sith Alchemy

Phrik, which General Grievous's magnaguards staffs were made out of

Cortosis which when pure kills whoever touches it (so wear layers) - Hilariously this shorts out the lightsaber, shutting it down for a while

Force Weapons - just imbue that spork with the force, it is magic

Darkswords

Edit: According to wookieepedia the ideal range for a Blaster rifle is between 30 and 60 meters.

AcridWhistle fucked around with this message at 15:18 on Aug 18, 2010

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

The Lightsaber is pretty much Star Wars when you think about it. Awesome yet not very practical and bound to get and more short comings the longer it has been around.

This raises another question, why are blasters so crap anyways?

Throb Robinson
Feb 8, 2010

He would enjoy administering the single antidote to Leia. He would enjoy it very much indeed..

AcridWhistle posted:

How many ways are there to defeat a lightsaber now? In the OT trilogy weren't they pretty much only countered by another lightsaber? Then again the some of the original artwork showed stormtroopers carrying shields but that was when they had lightsabers also.

MANDALORIAN Iron

Telekinesis, apparently

Sith Alchemy

Phrik, which General Grievous's magnaguards staffs were made out of

Cortosis which when pure kills whoever touches it (so wear layers) - Hilariously this shorts out the lightsaber, shutting it down for a while

Force Weapons - just imbue that spork with the force, it is magic

Darkswords

Edit: According to wookieepedia the ideal range for a Blaster rifle is between 30 and 60 meters.

poo poo like this is why I hate the EU. Instead of coming up with something clever to try and kill luke and company with we will use super secret rare poo poo that only ever shows up once.

Slantedfloors
Apr 29, 2008

Wait, What?

SeanBeansShako posted:

This raises another question, why are blasters so crap anyways?
Because they're like the most impractical science-fiction weapon ever. It's a weapon that fires invisible boiling plasma, fueled by two seperate power sources (The ever nebulous "Power pack" and Tibanna Gas), with seemingly arbitrary classifications (Pistols and Rifles have different ranges, despite it still being the exact same mechanism for firing? What?)

My favourite part of the Star Wars Weapons Technical Manual (or whatever) was the section on "slugthrowers" (actual guns) where they had to come up with really terrible reasons for why everyone isn't using them.

AcridWhistle
Aug 20, 2003

Feasting on the flesh of a recently killed zombie probably wasn't the smartest of moves

Slantedfloors posted:

My favourite part of the Star Wars Weapons Technical Manual (or whatever) was the section on "slugthrowers" (actual guns) where they had to come up with really terrible reasons for why everyone isn't using them.

quote:

A typical slugthrower pistol had an effective range of around 60 meters, while on a rifle this was extended to 300 meters. Sniper rifles had been known to pick off enemies from over a mile in the hands of skilled snipers and marksmen...

Slugs also varied; some were made of metal, some ceramic or even hardened plastics...

While a blaster bolt would dissipate after it has reached passed it's maximum effective range, it would not drop thus was considered superior in terms of accuracy, a slug however would drop to the ground once it has far surpassed it's maximum effective range....

mercenaries fearing an intervention by Jedi Knights used rapid-fire slugthrowers that were impossible to completely deflect, unlike blaster bolts.They were also popular amongst forces looking to take advantage of the explosive nature for intimidation or to ensure destruction.

whatever they lacked in functionality, they regained in stealth. A slugthrower could be silenced while a blaster usually could not. Also, blaster rounds were almost always visible. Although this could be seen as an advantage, non-tracer rounds used by slugthrowers added an extra element of confusion and surprise, not allowing the target to see where the shots were coming from.

Furthermore, slugthrowers were generally cheaper and more easily repaired than blaster.

Why would anyone not use a slugthrower over a blaster?

AcridWhistle fucked around with this message at 16:16 on Aug 18, 2010

Throb Robinson
Feb 8, 2010

He would enjoy administering the single antidote to Leia. He would enjoy it very much indeed..
If I remember its cause a blaster takes like pennies per shot while a Gun costs like 20$ a shot.

Slantedfloors
Apr 29, 2008

Wait, What?

AcridWhistle posted:

Why would anyone not use a slugthrower over a blaster?

For anyone not paying attention:

- Handguns have the same range as a Blaster rifle
- A slugthrower can still kill past max range, blasters can't
- Jedi can't deflect bullets
- Slugthrowers can be silenced, blasters can't
- Slugthrowers are cheaper by an order of magnitude
- Slugthrowers once saved a child from drowning
- Any idiot can make a Slugthrowers in a machine shop
- Slugthrowers use one surce of ammunition, Blasters use two

It is literally pants-on-head retarded that everyone uses Blasters instead of Slugthrowers (I loving hate that name). I guess a Glock isn't very sci-fi, but come on, at least give Blasters some benfits if you insist on using them.

Throb Robinson posted:

If I remember its cause a blaster takes like pennies per shot while a Gun costs like 20$ a shot.
Bullets are no where near $20.

AcridWhistle
Aug 20, 2003

Throb Robinson posted:

Makes sense for George Lucas I guess

quote:

Tibanna gas was a frequently favored medium...

Tibanna was a rare form of matter found in both gas and liquid form. In its natural state as a gas, tibanna comprised the atmospheres of several planets, most notably that of Bespin, where it was processed at Cloud City; and the planets Taloraan, Kril'dor, and Rendili.

vs

Find some metal (most any on your planet will do), melt it down, pour melted metal into this form, shove explody stuff behind it.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

AcridWhistle posted:

Makes sense for George Lucas I guess

vs

Find some metal (most any on your planet will do), melt it down, pour melted metal into this form, shove explody stuff behind it.

Is blaster fire undodgeable in Star Wars? As in it travels so fast that there is no need to factor wind or the motion of the target to guarantee a hit?

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Spergy Answer to this: The Corporate Sector! those greedy slug thrower hating suits and their love for pushing over priced gas to fund wars!

Slantedfloors
Apr 29, 2008

Wait, What?

Barudak posted:

Is blaster fire undodgeable in Star Wars? As in it travels so fast that there is no need to factor wind or the motion of the target to connect with?
Blaster fire is actually invisible superheated gas, so I can't see why there would be a way for wind to hamper accuracy. It's slow enough to dodge/block/shield yourself, so that's another penalty against bullets.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Hilariously, if the Empire used camo lightly armoured soldier with slug thrower armed trained soldiers they would be more of a threat.

Maybe Stormtroopers are actually decent shots and it really is the guns fault all along?

AcridWhistle
Aug 20, 2003

Barudak posted:

Is blaster fire undodgeable in Star Wars? As in it travels so fast that there is no need to factor wind or the motion of the target to guarantee a hit?

How good are you at dodging a gun at below 60 meters? A 1911 has a muzzle velocity of around 320 meters a second.

quote:

This combination of light and plasma formed the deadly bolt fired from a blaster.

Who knows, it sounds like a projectile to me and appears that way in the movies (in which it moves a hell of a lot slower than bullets) but it isn't affected by gravity.

Edit: Odd the info about range came from blaster rifles but in the description of the E11 Blaster rifle (the iconic stormtrooper rifle) it lists maximum as 300 meters, optimum 100 meters. The gas is listed as holding 300 shots and the power coil at about 100 depending on settings. Apparently the stormtroopers were really stringy with firing for some reason.

quote:

Stormtroopers carried E-11 rifles throughout the Galactic Civil War. The design was based on that of the DC-15 series of blaster rifles, carbines, and pistols favored by the Republic clone troopers. Some stormtroopers were known to complain that the original E-11 had been poorly designed to compensate for recoil, leading to diminished accuracy in firefights, and preferred the carbine model instead.

So blasters even have decent recoil also.

AcridWhistle fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Aug 18, 2010

mynnna
Jan 10, 2004

About the only advantage I can think of when it comes to blasters is that they're (in theory) lighter. Or at least, the ammo is lighter, and you can carry less of it for a given weight/volume.

Or something. I don't know.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

AcridWhistle posted:

How good are you at dodging a gun at below 60 meters? A 1911 has a muzzle velocity of around 320 meters a second.

Sorry, what I meant by that was the following. If a target is moving horizontally away from you at full pace a good distance away you typically need to lead the shot slightly to ensure a hit. Does the projectile from the blaster move so fast that this is unnecessary and so long as the barrel points over the target it will connect?

quote:

Who knows, it sounds like a projectile to me and appears that way in the movies (in which it moves a hell of a lot slower than bullets) but it isn't affected by gravity.

So if it isn't affected by gravity or wind resistance, it at minimum makes an excellent sniping weapon alternative over slug-throwers. There are sniper-blasters correct?

AcridWhistle
Aug 20, 2003

Barudak posted:

So if it isn't affected by gravity or wind resistance, it at minimum makes an excellent sniping weapon alternative over slug-throwers. There are sniper-blasters correct?

I would believe so but I am having problems finding anything on wookieepedia

Would you settle for a Blastsword ?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

AcridWhistle posted:

I would believe so but I am having problems finding anything on wookieepedia

Would you settle for a Blastsword ?

Thank you EU, for making Gunblades even stupider.

So I guess the reason to use Blasters over slug throwers is that they are lighter, contain more rounds per charge, are immune to gravity and wind resistance, and have sufficient velocity to negate dodge attempts within the firing range of the weapon.

So I'd wager that the reason you see them everywhere is because if you have the choice between a weapon which is point and shoot versus one which may be more effective with proper training, most people are going to take the point and shoot one. Especially with a massive army like the Empires.

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

I think slugthrowers aren't used anymore because stuff like Stormtrooper armour and personal shielding pretty much renders them useless

quote:

The most obvious function of the armor was protection against weapons fire and battlefield hazards. The armor, and the body glove worn beneath, were designed to disperse the energy of a blaster bolt and insulate the wearer, lessening injury. Although standard armor lacked the durability to make the wearer immune to cannon fire, it could deflect low, medium, and high blaster bolts,but it would take about 3 shots to kill the trooper .

It also deflected stun beams, and served as protection against explosions and shrapnel. It was almost impossible to kill a stormtrooper with a slugthrower unless the bullet was abnormally large, specifically armor piercing, or if it hit the body glove or visor. Although this armor provided less protection from blaster weapons than Phase I and Phase II armor, it offered superior protection from the elements.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Directorman posted:

I think slugthrowers aren't used anymore because stuff like Stormtrooper armour and personal shielding pretty much renders them useless

In that quote it says "specifically armor piercing." How armor piercing are we talking? Because even modern handguns can launch rounds that can go through small amounts of steel.

AcridWhistle
Aug 20, 2003

Directorman posted:

quote:

As blaster usage increased, the popularity of personal armor declined - while extremely effective against most slugs, even modern armor could not stop a direct blaster hit, and as a result the wearing of bulky or cumbersome protective gear seemed to offer little benefit, while still obstructing movement. Thus, the blaster arguably increased the usefulness of the slugthrower.

Except against stormtroopers or droids I guess.

Perhaps droids were the real reason slugthrowers went out of style.

mynnna
Jan 10, 2004

AcridWhistle posted:

So blasters even have decent recoil also.

Wookiepedia claims that there's two types of blasters. The first, less common, turns a gas into a plasma and fires that through some sort of magnetic bottle/gauss field thing. Presumably they get a high, perhaps even hypersonic muzzle velocity, but the mass being fired is very, very low - its just a packet of high density, high energy gas.

On the other hand, particle weapons (which it says are far more common) just take the gas, "excite" it, and fire it. In real world terms (because there has been real world research into such weapons!) they're accelerating subatomic particles to extremely high (significant fractions of c) velocities. How much recoil that sort of weapon would have is up in the air, but there's a reasonable bit of fun theory here that you can extrapolate from and conclude that it's "not very much"

So really, the idea that blasters have any sort of significant or noticeable recoil is probably pretty retarded. :v:

AcridWhistle
Aug 20, 2003

Torael_7 posted:

So really, the idea that blasters have any sort of significant or noticeable recoil is probably pretty retarded. :v:

Physics being dumb in Star Wars? Nah

Blame it on the force.

SeanBeansShako posted:

Maybe Stormtroopers are actually decent shots and it really is the guns fault all along?

Wasn't there a weird rumor that BlasTech or one of the companies supplied faulty E-11s and most of them ended up on the DeathStar (explaining how those Stormtroopers in particular were such lousy shots).

AcridWhistle fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Aug 18, 2010

mynnna
Jan 10, 2004

AcridWhistle posted:

Physics being dumb in Star Wars? Nah

Blame it on the force.

More like people being dumb with physics.

Inaccurate stormtroopers on the death star is easy to explain. As far as actually seeing combat goes, the death star is pretty backwater. They were all just really, really out of practice. :colbert:

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!

dadsdementia.jpg posted:

Is Anikin's midichlorean count lower after he gets all his arms and legs and stuff chopped off?

Sort of. I can't remember the exact source but there is mention that his powers were a bit limited once he became Vader because of all the machinery. He still had quite a bit of power but wasn't anything near what he used to be.

Tumblr of scotch
Mar 13, 2006

Please, don't be my neighbor.

Barudak posted:

I got a question, which I'm sure comes up all the time but it was bugging me at work today. What os the canonical explanation for the staggering number of humans seen in the films/books. Is it that the central part of the galaxy is particularly rife with them, humans killed everybody off in a series of brutal wars, or did they get really frisky with a cloner to outpace everyones reproductive cycles?
Manifest destiny, basically. Humanocentrism and the belief that humanity is destined to rule the stars goes all the way back to the first time humanity launched a sleeper ship into space. What better way to rule said stars than by loving like rabbits so you have as much of a presence as possible?

Torael_7 posted:

About the only advantage I can think of when it comes to blasters is that they're (in theory) lighter. Or at least, the ammo is lighter, and you can carry less of it for a given weight/volume.

Or something. I don't know.
You're exactly right, actually. A power pack for even a simple blaster pistol can provide anywhere from 50 all the way up to 100 shots (and rifles can have even more) and be changed out in under a second. Slugs, on the other hand, weigh a lot more, and you generally have to reload more often and take a little longer doing so. It's about efficiency. Slug magazines are usually larger than power packs, too, even disregarding the number of shots per.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

On a side note, BlastTech is a pretty terrible name for a Weapons Company. Though I would love to actually hear a company in real life that manufactured guns and ammo called BangTech never the less.

Slantedfloors
Apr 29, 2008

Wait, What?

Bonzo posted:

Sort of. I can't remember the exact source but there is mention that his powers were a bit limited once he became Vader because of all the machinery. He still had quite a bit of power but wasn't anything near what he used to be.
The reduced power level also had the side-benefit of making him less of a threat to Palpatine.

No cloning or Force Healing for you, Vader! You get bulky machine crap everywhere!

mynnna
Jan 10, 2004

Flagrant Abuse posted:

You're exactly right, actually. A power pack for even a simple blaster pistol can provide anywhere from 50 all the way up to 100 shots (and rifles can have even more) and be changed out in under a second. Slugs, on the other hand, weigh a lot more, and you generally have to reload more often and take a little longer doing so. It's about efficiency. Slug magazines are usually larger than power packs, too, even disregarding the number of shots per.

Although some weapons...well, one of those articles mentions how the E-11's power pack is good for 100 shots while the gas canister is good for 500...or vice versa.

Either way, that's got to get confusing in the heat of battle. You'd think they'd make them the same size, and then go a step further and just make them the same package so you don't have to swap two things out...

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Throb Robinson posted:

If your going to mention the Mustache twirling you have to mention the fact that the dude is being a Stereotypical evil villain on purpose. The baddie is very self aware of the fact he is playing the role of the bad guy to Luke and Company.

The absolute best part about Shadows of Mindor isn't even that, it's how that is explained in the last few pages of the book That the entire novel, minus the forward and afterward which are set in the "real world" of the Star Wars universe, is actually an in-universe propaganda holonovel written by that New Republic Intelligence guy to glorify Luke and the New Republic's campaign against the Empire

DougieFFC
Mar 19, 2004

We are Fulham, super Fulham, we are Fulham, fuck Ch*lsea.

Chairman Capone posted:

The absolute best part about Shadows of Mindor isn't even that, it's how that is explained in the last few pages of the book That the entire novel, minus the forward and afterward which are set in the "real world" of the Star Wars universe, is actually an in-universe propaganda holonovel written by that New Republic Intelligence guy to glorify Luke and the New Republic's campaign against the Empire

I think it's only insinuated. Brilliant novel though.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Someone needs to recon that for the Marvel comics. Especially since, thanks to LOTF, it's harder to ignore.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

WhyteRyce posted:

Someone needs to recon that for the Marvel comics. Especially since, thanks to LOTF, it's harder to ignore.

Surely you mean MOTF? truly the only Legacy of that book series was needlessly killing off good EU characters lovely choices for the future of EU and letting Travis wank about with pointless Mandalorian shite.

God that book series makes me so angry.

Throb Robinson
Feb 8, 2010

Hey! Hey!

Marvel Star Wars is Awesome. :colbert:

Only sperglords can't find Marvel comics fun cause they don't fit into Canon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

You skim over my posts man :( check back on the last page. Everyone loves the Marvel comics.

Well the cool ones anyway.