Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aws
Dec 5, 2005
I'm working on befriending some feral kittens and I'm curious about dad. He's very large and looks nothing like the cats I usually see around here. Can anyone recognize a breed?

Click here for the full 1076x720 image.

Also,

Click here for the full 482x720 image.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dietcokefiend
Apr 28, 2004
HEY ILL HAV 2 TXT U L8TR I JUST DROVE IN 2 A DAYCARE AND SCRATCHED MY RAZR
What the gently caress is with the cost of dog parks :psyduck:

Two within driving distance are pay-only for a yearly permit. One is like 45 a year and is an open field fenced off. Another is 325 a year, pools, waterfall, fitness court, etc. :wtc:

Kerfuffle
Aug 16, 2007

The sky calls to us~

dietcokefiend posted:

What the gently caress is with the cost of dog parks :psyduck:

Two within driving distance are pay-only for a yearly permit. One is like 45 a year and is an open field fenced off. Another is 325 a year, pools, waterfall, fitness court, etc. :wtc:
I imagine this is help keep assholes out and they probably have sets of rules like requiring dogs to be fixed (or I would hope). The trouble is even paying people can be complete idiots about their dogs so I'm not sure what the point is other than maybe management of the park?

:laffo: at idea of a dog fitness court with a loving waterfall

dietcokefiend
Apr 28, 2004

Kerfuffle posted:

I imagine this is help keep assholes out and they probably have sets of rules like requiring dogs to be fixed (or I would hope). The trouble is even paying people can be complete idiots about their dogs so I'm not sure what the point is other than maybe management of the park?

:laffo: at idea of a dog fitness court with a loving waterfall

http://wagspark.com/

:psypop:

Sad thing is I am actually considering it.

Meow Cadet
May 2, 2007

friendship is magic
in a pony paradise
don't you judge me

Gookistamano posted:

I'm working on befriending some feral kittens and I'm curious about dad. He's very large and looks nothing like the cats I usually see around here. Can anyone recognize a breed?

Domestic Short Hair (DSH). Unless you have a pedigree, you have a DSH/DMH/DLH cat. It might look like a Canadian Mouser* or a Brazilian Fluff*, but unless you can prove it, call it a DSH.

*these breeds do not exist

Lackadaisical
Nov 8, 2005

Adj: To Not Give A Shit
I got my cat vaccinated and microchipped yesterday and today she isn't eating or drinking. I'm working on the food aspect, but is it safe to give my cat smartwater to try and rehydrate her?

Kerfuffle
Aug 16, 2007

The sky calls to us~

dietcokefiend posted:

http://wagspark.com/

:psypop:

Sad thing is I am actually considering it.

Hahaha is ridiculous as the stuff is, at least they have a solid set of requirements. I'd never pay that much for a god drat dog park though.

except these:

# Excessive barking dog(s) must be removed from WagsParkŪ.
# Owners must stop their dogs from digging and immediately fill any holes.

What? Some dogs are just barkers and I thought one of the perks of dog parks was being allowed to dig up the ground :I

Woozy
Jan 3, 2006
Just adopted a two month old kitten and I'm a little concerned at how lethargic she seems. She drinks, eats, and poops fine but she doesn't seem to want to play at all--even laser pointers and strings don't hold her interest. She loves to sleep and purrs when I pet her and otherwise seems like a healthy little kitten but her temperament is way off what I've come to expect from kittens. She isn't bouncing off the walls or harassing me when I'm at the computer or anything. Just sleep, sleep, eat, sleep. Is she just stressed or do I need to be worried? :(

Edit: Before anyone asks, I did not want to separate her from mom that early, but the family she was with had a child with a serious emotional/personality disorder and was considered a risk for abuse.

Woozy fucked around with this message at 06:07 on Aug 17, 2010

Rat Patrol
Feb 15, 2008

kill kill kill kill
kill me now
^^ Kitten might just be adjusting. When we got my old cat Chessi as a kitten, the first few days she just slept and slept, cuddling and purring. In a week, she was exploring and falling in love with her jingle bell toy and climbing people to sit on their shoulders to watch them play solitaire (I miss her).

If you're really worried, take her to the vet, but she may just be settling.

Woozy
Jan 3, 2006
Thanks. I'll absolutely see the vet because it she obviously needs the "just got adopted" checkup anyway. I'm pretty sure I'm just being a paranoid cat parent but god dammit she is just so precious I'd be sick if there was anything wrong with her. :(

4 Day Weekend
Jan 16, 2009
Not sure if this is in the right section, but I saw today that a Taiwanese zoo had bred ligers, which is apparently illegal. Why is that? Genetic defects or something?

Kerfuffle
Aug 16, 2007

The sky calls to us~

4 Day Weekend posted:

Not sure if this is in the right section, but I saw today that a Taiwanese zoo had bred ligers, which is apparently illegal. Why is that? Genetic defects or something?

I recall the poor things are so big that they can't really support their own bodies well and have extremely poor lifespans. Last I hear they can't breed to second generations either.

a life less
Jul 12, 2009

We are healthy only to the extent that our ideas are humane.

4 Day Weekend posted:

It's because tigers are an endangered species and the zoo is essentially wasting precious resources by breeding the two species together as the offspring cannot be used in any future breeding program.

A quick google brought up this information:

http://www.lairweb.org.nz/tiger/hybridisation2.html posted:

Since hybrids are, for the most part, incapable of breeding, usually the only way to produce more of these unusual specimens is to cross-breed other valuable purebred and mixed heritage cats. Here, several issues arise:

This often involves the use of two animals better used to further increase limited purebred populations.

The cross-breeding of animals, even those of a mixed heritage, incurs costs in housing, feeding and veterinary care. This money would better be spent ensuring the survival of purebred endangered species.

Zoos can only house so many animals and every place taken by a hybrid is one less place for an animal that can be listed in a studbook and used for breeding. White tigers are an example of this problem. The studbook for the purebred white Bengal tiger counts only 43 animals, the rest seen are of unknown heritage or they are hybridised.

Cross-breeding means the characteristics of both species are lost; therefore many conservationists consider this just another step towards extinction.

Hybridisation adds nothing to wildlife conservation as these animals never existed in the wild anyway.

Hybrids are more susceptible to illness and early death.

4 Day Weekend
Jan 16, 2009

a life less posted:

It's because tigers are an endangered species and the zoo is essentially wasting precious resources by breeding the two species together as the offspring cannot be used in any future breeding program.

A quick google brought up this information:

*article*

Thanks for that, makes sense.

dietcokefiend
Apr 28, 2004
I think one of the cats that was previously thought of as a neighbors outdoor cat is a stray. She came up to my house today meowing, petted her, and felt she was a bag of skin n bones. Very very thin.

This cat is already around my home to begin with. Is there any harm in putting out foot for it to eat? It might make it stay closer to my house, but at this point I would rather deal with that then let it die from lack of food. Dog-wise my Aussie is pretty calm around the outdoor cats when she sees them and this particular cat has been equally cautious and never showed aggression towards us together.

Kerfuffle posted:

Hahaha is ridiculous as the stuff is, at least they have a solid set of requirements. I'd never pay that much for a god drat dog park though.

except these:

# Excessive barking dog(s) must be removed from WagsParkŪ.
# Owners must stop their dogs from digging and immediately fill any holes.

What? Some dogs are just barkers and I thought one of the perks of dog parks was being allowed to dig up the ground :I

Well right now that is one of two within reasonable driving distance and if I am paying for anything, regardless of cheap or expensive, the entire purpose is to get Ellie around other dogs. The cheaper dog park seemed sparce on first viewing so it would be pretty lame for her. This one if there are lots of dogs might be a bit nicer.

My only beef right now is the 45 dollar a year park has a permit valid from Jan 1 2010 to Dec 31 2010. Getting one now is still 45 bucks and its only valid for another 3 months. Paying 45 for that I could deal with. If the 325 buck park had the same poo poo, gently caress that. If its one year from date you sign up, then perhaps.

EDIT: called and verified. The WagsPark is one year from purchase date.

dietcokefiend fucked around with this message at 15:34 on Aug 17, 2010

Shebrew
Jul 12, 2006

Is it a party?
This certainly doesn't seem like it warrants a new thread, so I'll ask it here! I had a cat with my ex, but after we broke up, he got custody :( Ever since then, the thought of adopting a kitty that no one can take away has been constantly on my mind. I wanted to wait till this summer when I was back after being abroad and after a friend's wedding in a different state so I could spend as much time with my new kitty as possible (I'm a student currently so no work in the way either)

Now, all the events between me and adoption that I wanted to wait for have passed, and I have begun the process of cat-proofing my apartment and half assed-ly looking at cats on petfinder.com. Initially, I intended to go to one of the kill shelters in NYC and just look for a cat that I felt a connection with, but looking online led me to find a cat who I can't get out of my head!

http://www.petfinder.com/petdetail/16541228

I think she's adorable :3: My question, then, is what are people's opinions generally on adopting a cat via petfinder where you may not get to meet the animal until it comes to live with you versus shelters where you can meet and spend time with the cat (or other animal) first? My only reservation with her is just that: I don't think I could meet her first.

Either way, when a kitty is adopted I will be sure to post lots of pictures.

Abbeh
May 23, 2006

When I grow up I mean to be
A Lion large and fierce to see.
(Thank you, Das Boo!)
That cat does seem to be at a shelter... maybe call them up to see if you can visit her first? I doubt they'd have a problem with it. Here, they even have a phone number: (800) 880-2684

Shebrew
Jul 12, 2006

Is it a party?

Abbeh posted:

That cat does seem to be at a shelter... maybe call them up to see if you can visit her first? I doubt they'd have a problem with it. Here, they even have a phone number: 1 (800) 880-2684

Their website (http://emptycagescollective.wordpress.com/adopt/) seems to suggest not meeting her first, though I've e-mailed them already and asked if I could.

Edit: Tried the phone number. It just asked me to leave a message and they would return the call. So I guess I'll just wait to see what they say via e-mail.

Shebrew fucked around with this message at 16:30 on Aug 17, 2010

Power Dips
Feb 6, 2008
hey bobby malone, it's good to have you home, a couple months on the couch while you figure things out, won't do you wrong.
My 4 month old male kitten has started digging a paw through his ceramic water bowl, it's cute but it flicks water out of the bowl and all over the floor.

Nothing new has happened or changed, any ideas? Or what to do to stop him? I'm worried he and his brother will be without water for hours if he does this when I'm not in the house :(

ETA: just like this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o-eNTf7Chq4

And I change the water at morning and night, I run the tap for minutes so it's fresh, their dishes are all clean. It seems from googling quite a lot of cats do this, but how to discourage it?

Power Dips fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Aug 17, 2010

Panic at the Costco
Aug 14, 2000

*an extremely loud "BOOYA" comes thundering from beyond the hills breaking windows all around u*
I have a 13 year old chihuahua. She has cataracts and has recently become completely blind. As a result, she rarely is able to make it outside to go potty. I've been helping her out several times a day, but I can't do it every time and she's been making messes on the carpet. Is there anything I can do to prevent more messes on my carpet?

I've tried the poopy pad things but she doesn't use them at all. I also tried a night light to help her get around but she seems to be too blind for that.

Shebrew
Jul 12, 2006

Is it a party?
Update: I found a different website that says that it's possible to make appointments to meet the animals there. I called and left a message in addition to my e-mail. I really want to me her :3:

skoolmunkee
Jun 27, 2004

Tell your friends we're coming for them

Power Dips posted:

And I change the water at morning and night, I run the tap for minutes so it's fresh, their dishes are all clean. It seems from googling quite a lot of cats do this, but how to discourage it?

Some cats just like splashy water. Most people report that getting a fountain cuts down on manual kittysplashing considerably. Even my cat who didn't splash drinks more water with the fountain.

AveMachina
Aug 30, 2008

God knows what COVIDs you people have

Is there any kind of first-aid I can do for my kitty? I'm keeping her inside. She can't walk on one of her hind legs, and it's very swollen. No visible injury, though. Taking her to the vet tomorrow, but is there anything I can do in the meantime?

Enelrahc
Jun 17, 2007

Jr. posted:

Is there any kind of first-aid I can do for my kitty? I'm keeping her inside. She can't walk on one of her hind legs, and it's very swollen. No visible injury, though. Taking her to the vet tomorrow, but is there anything I can do in the meantime?

You should probably take her to the e-vet. It's not that awesome to spend a night with a possibly broken limb. What happened to her?

Shebrew
Jul 12, 2006

Is it a party?

Shebrew posted:

Update: I found a different website that says that it's possible to make appointments to meet the animals there. I called and left a message in addition to my e-mail. I really want to me her :3:

Update 2: Going to an event in Brooklyn that they'll be having this Saturday. The person I e-mailed said she'd be sure to bring her there :3:

So excited for getting a kitty!

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
I have a question about cats, dogs, and newborn human babies.

I'm not planning on having kids for another 2 years or so, but I'm curious as to what other people did with the newborn/toddler when they own cats and dogs who love to snuggle.

Do you keep the newborn in its own room with the door locked every time the baby lays down to sleep?

When the baby lays on the floor or is just starting to crawl, do you put the dogs in a gated room so the baby doesnt get stepped on or knocked over? I have a half-retarded super-excitable lab who regularly knocks me head over rear end...

The cats would love to curl up with anything warm, so if the baby is taking a nap on the couch it could theoretically have a dog and 2 cats trying to curl up with it.

How bad is the cat and dog hair that is probably floating around the air for the newborn?

Damn Bananas
Jul 1, 2007

You humans bore me
I think I have figured out the reason (or at least noticed a peculiarity) why my cat wasn't eating much this past week. I moved houses, so I thought it was stress, but I also started schedule-feeding her. Today instead of giving her a breakfast of 1/3cup, I gave her the whole day's worth of 2/3 cup. She ate over half of it in about 2 hours. YAY WE'RE CURED! but what the hell? Has anyone heard of something similar: a cat who only eats if she thinks there will be leftovers? Is this the cat equivalent of storing cans and water bottles in a bunker for Y2K?

Cats :psyduck:

Damn Bananas fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Aug 18, 2010

AveMachina
Aug 30, 2008

God knows what COVIDs you people have

Enelrahc posted:

You should probably take her to the e-vet. It's not that awesome to spend a night with a possibly broken limb. What happened to her?

Took her to the evet, looks like a dog bite. Antibiotics for five days.

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte

drat Bananas posted:

I think I have figured out the reason (or at least noticed a peculiarity) why my cat wasn't eating much this past week. I moved houses, so I thought it was stress, but I also started schedule-feeding her. Today instead of giving her a breakfast of 1/3cup, I gave her the whole day's worth of 2/3 cup. She ate over half of it in about 2 hours. YAY WE'RE CURED! but what the hell? Has anyone heard of something similar: a cat who only eats if she thinks there will be leftovers? Is this the cat equivalent of storing cans and water bottles in a bunker for Y2K?

Cats :psyduck:

Some of them like to graze. Others just like to show you who's in control.

Fire In The Disco
Oct 4, 2007
I cannot change the gender of my unborn child and shouldn't waste my time or energy pretending he won't exist

Spermy Smurf posted:

I'm not planning on having kids for another 2 years or so, but I'm curious as to what other people did with the newborn/toddler when they own cats and dogs who love to snuggle.

Do you keep the newborn in its own room with the door locked every time the baby lays down to sleep?

When the baby lays on the floor or is just starting to crawl, do you put the dogs in a gated room so the baby doesnt get stepped on or knocked over? I have a half-retarded super-excitable lab who regularly knocks me head over rear end...

The cats would love to curl up with anything warm, so if the baby is taking a nap on the couch it could theoretically have a dog and 2 cats trying to curl up with it.

How bad is the cat and dog hair that is probably floating around the air for the newborn?

My cats do just fine with Cecilia (4.5 months) and have been since birth. One of them likes to snuggle near her, and the others mostly avoid her. She's only in a closed room at night, when she sleeps with my husband and me in our bed-- the cats were banned from the bedroom at night because one of them likes to eat my hair.

I vacuum about three times a week to try to keep the hair to a minimum, but I don't think there's any way to prevent it entirely short of not having pets.

Cecilia also never naps on the couch unless it's on me (nursing generally), so I don't worry about that. The couch isn't really a safe place for a baby to nap since they could easily roll off.

With your semi-retarded dog, I would gate him off during play time on the floor.

bamzilla
Jan 13, 2005

All butt since 2012.

Our cats are snugglers, but when the baby came along they wanted nothing to do with her. We had one cat that would watch over her as she slept, though. Now, as she's becoming a toddler the cats steer clear of her as she is a little too high energy for them.

El Gar
Apr 12, 2007

Hey Trophy...

Spermy Smurf posted:

Generally your newborn isn't napping on the couch, they nap in their crib or bassinet. Couches are soft and therefore dangerous to sleep on.

Cats + newborns went well for us. Ours is like Bam's she mostly just wanted to watch the baby. Wanting to cuddle w/ her didn't come till she was a few months old, old enough to be in her own room where we could shut the door, and old enough to fend for herself against the cat at least.

Mostly it's sleeping nearby:

Though sometimes she's more persistent (in reality she's trying to cuddle with US, the kid is just in the way)

Cat hair in the air is a nonissue in our house I guess you could brush your animals and vacuum more if it's a problem for you?

No clue on the dog, they smell therefore we own none.

Fire In The Disco
Oct 4, 2007
I cannot change the gender of my unborn child and shouldn't waste my time or energy pretending he won't exist
Cecilia, approx 2 months old, sitting up on my lap after nursing. Luna decided she needed to be a part of the snuggle. :3:

Click here for the full 720x540 image.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
A neighbor of mine moved away a few months ago and left the cat behind. He has been living under my deck and royally pissing off the cat I already have. I can't take care of him because my cat really dislikes other cats and I really doubt feliway would help. I've called the nearby shelters and either they won't take him because I'm in the wrong county (shelter 5 miles away) or they simply refuse and say call animal control.

Animal control says sure. But they won't come out to get him. And their closest shelter is about 1hr or so away in Martinez.

I live in San Ramon and Contra Costa County sucks for pets I guess.

I want this cat to be taken care of but having to drive so drat far with a pissed off cat seems really dumb. Any ideas?

Lackadaisical
Nov 8, 2005

Adj: To Not Give A Shit
Post in the SF goonmeet thread and see if anyone locally wants him.

You could also contact these people and see if they can help.

e: Welp, I didn't see that their website says they can't take any more cats. Still, they might know of other places in the area that will take the cat.

Meow Cadet
May 2, 2007

friendship is magic
in a pony paradise
don't you judge me

ded posted:

A neighbor of mine moved away a few months ago and left the cat behind. He has been living under my deck and royally pissing off the cat I already have. I can't take care of him because my cat really dislikes other cats and I really doubt feliway would help. I've called the nearby shelters and either they won't take him because I'm in the wrong county (shelter 5 miles away) or they simply refuse and say call animal control.

Animal control says sure. But they won't come out to get him. And their closest shelter is about 1hr or so away in Martinez.

I live in San Ramon and Contra Costa County sucks for pets I guess.

I want this cat to be taken care of but having to drive so drat far with a pissed off cat seems really dumb. Any ideas?

Do you have a friend in the 'right' county that could take him to the shelter 5 miles away for you?

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

Meow Cadet posted:

Do you have a friend in the 'right' county that could take him to the shelter 5 miles away for you?

You know what. I think I just might. Why didn't I think of that!

aunt moneybags
Jun 11, 2006

I like gin, and I don't like hugs.
I just applied soft claws to one of my cats. He hates them and will not stop chewing on them and I am concerned (based on some horror stories I have read) that he's going to chew his nails off to the quick. Is there any way to get these things off before they just shed off? I am pretty sure I did not get them on the nail far enough either, so he's able to get to the base of the nail.

e: I trimmed the tips off and managed to get 2 off by cutting pieces off the top. He's calmed down a little so hopefully they'll either shed off naturally or he'll chew them off without hurting himself. We'll see.

aunt moneybags fucked around with this message at 02:25 on Aug 19, 2010

Phallacracy
Jul 28, 2004
I have a couple of large-ish cats that will need to go on a six hour road trip soon, neither of whom travel well. I figured I could take them to the vet and get some drugs to zonk them out for the duration of the trip. When I called the vet to schedule an appointment, the vet recommended I try giving them half a Benadryl which he said should be enough to put them out the entire time. I called a couple other vets about the Benadryl thing just to make sure my vet hadn't told me to do something that would kill my cats and it turns out his advice was legit.

Before I try this I wanted to get PI's advice on how to deal with the long distance transportation of cats that don't like traveling. What are the alternatives to drugging? If Benadryl is a good solution, what is the best way to feed a cat a solid pill?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Damn Bananas
Jul 1, 2007

You humans bore me
My vet gave my cat a prescription of Acepromazine when we moved and had to face a 4 hour road trip. I got 4 doses for about 15 bucks (but you only need 1 dose per car trip though), and it worked pretty well. You don't want to actually knock out your cat, just have her zonked out of her freakin mind. I put mine in a ball of tuna, but make sure she didn't watch you prepare it and make sure she eats the whole thing.

We gave it 2 hours before we expected to leave, and left her and her open carrier in the bathroom. When we were ready to leave we loaded her up and the most she did the whole way was a pitiful "mew" or 5 every now and then. Also their third eyelid comes up a bit so don't freak out if you get this med and see that. She was also wobbly on her legs for the rest of the day.