Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

xpander posted:

I've got a question about synth parameter automation. I've done tons of automation before, but I seem to have trouble with a few soft synths. I was working on a new track with a friend, and we want to automate a filter sweep with Superwave. We try changing parameters on the synth, but nothing is populating in the parameter dropdown menus. I loaded up a few different synths, some work, some don't. Has anyone else had this experience, and is there another way of doing it?

Try hitting the 'Configure' button in the top right corner of the External Instrument item. It will go green, similar to how the macros in Instrument Rack do when pointing them at parameters. Then click on or tweak parameters in your plug-in window. They should appear as horizontal sliders next to the X-Y pad in the External Instrument, and you should now have control in the track parameter menu. Sometimes this doesn't work, though, and I find that you have to keep said parameters at full-scale (in the plug window) and work from there because Live treats the movement of the External Instrument faders as percentage of the parameter's set value, similar to how clip automation works in percentage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

colonp
Apr 21, 2007
Hi!

colonp fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Mar 8, 2014

workinonit
Jul 11, 2009

oredun posted:

i had a old whitebook 2ghz and i just bought a 2.4 c2d 13" pro and its the poo poo. it does easily twice as much VSTs as my old one, i think its due to the awesome rear end video card cause i run it with a 23" monitor.

just get the cheapest one, they will all burn through ableton no problem.

thank you goons, you've just cost me thousands! (in a good way, hopefully :) )

RizieN
May 15, 2004

and it was still hot.
You wont regret it.

Vanmani
Jul 2, 2007
Who needs title text, anyway?

colonp posted:

I don't see it. Do you mean the regular automation dropdown thing that you use for synth/track/FX automation? Screenshot would be appreciated!

Actually, now that I think about it, you may need to double click on the recorded track in the arrangement view... when the clipview comes up at the bottom, click the little E icon.

I'll double check when I get home.

RivensBitch
Jul 25, 2002

Vanmani posted:

Actually, now that I think about it, you may need to double click on the recorded track in the arrangement view... when the clipview comes up at the bottom, click the little E icon.

I'll double check when I get home.

You can automate either the clip automation, or the track automation. To automate the clip, double click it and then click on the circled E icon. To automate the track, there are two dropdown menus to the left of the track names, to the right of the clips themselves. The top box chooses different categories of automation (mixer, devices, fades), and the dropdown below it selects which parameter to automate.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ib_f2XGzZM4

(you know guys this poo poo is really easy to find with a simple google search...)

bedtime for dogs
Jun 23, 2005

lollin irl
Finally purchased ableton suite with the nice 40% student discount.. good feeling being legit.

Also anyone with an apc40 has to check out these midi remote scripts if they haven't already, adds a lot of functionality that really should have been out of the box.
http://remotescripts.blogspot.com/p/support-files.html#APC40_22

Vanmani
Jul 2, 2007
Who needs title text, anyway?

Nindoze posted:

Finally purchased ableton suite with the nice 40% student discount.. good feeling being legit.

Also anyone with an apc40 has to check out these midi remote scripts if they haven't already, adds a lot of functionality that really should have been out of the box.
http://remotescripts.blogspot.com/p/support-files.html#APC40_22

Being able to easily use the APC40 as a drum pad is nice, but it's a pity the pads aren't velocity sensitive.

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003
Hmm, I still haven't found the right notebook for playing out – I feel a little overwhelmed with the market right now. Can anyone give me a little direction on what to look for?

Mental Filler
May 5, 2007

She can ride or walk
either leave it or love it

wayfinder posted:

Hmm, I still haven't found the right notebook for playing out – I feel a little overwhelmed with the market right now. Can anyone give me a little direction on what to look for?

What's your budget?

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003
About 1500-1800 euros

edit: that's including any necessary audio interfaces

RivensBitch
Jul 25, 2002

What kind of audio interface do you need? That sounds like enough to get a solid macbook pro and a decent 2-4 channel interface.

dj bobby bieber
Oct 9, 2003

the fanciest whale

RivensBitch posted:

What kind of audio interface do you need? That sounds like enough to get a solid macbook pro and a decent 2-4 channel interface.

MBP + Duet is pretty awesome

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003
Hmm, I'd rather get more bang for the buck than a macbook. 15" MBPs start at 1800 euros, so meh... With an i7, it's 2200 already.

edit: http://h10010.www1.hp.com/wwpc/us/en/sm/WF06a/321957-321957-64295-3740645-3955549-4097214.html i7 @2.66GHz, 15" 1600x900, Windows7 Pro, can get it for 1600 Euros

Any obvious no-nos in this? Also what kind of interface would be good for this, it doesn't have firewire?

edit2: Lenovo Thinkpad T510 NTH5KGE 15,6" WXGA++ LED i7-620M 4GB 320GB NVS3100 UMTS Win7Pro64 (http://www.thinkpadtoday.com/lenovo-thinkpad-t510-full-launch-review-complete-rundown-and-video.htm) this also looks good, 1750 euros

I'm undecided...

wayfinder fucked around with this message at 07:35 on Aug 21, 2010

RivensBitch
Jul 25, 2002

My 2.4ghz dual core macbook pro at $2000 US has way more bang for my buck than the $600 quad core PC I built myself. Just sayin.

If you're concerned about money buy used, windows 7 is ok but it's got nothing on snow leopard

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003

RivensBitch posted:

My 2.4ghz dual core macbook pro at $2000 US has way more bang for my buck than the $600 quad core PC I built myself. Just sayin.

If you're concerned about money buy used, windows 7 is ok but it's got nothing on snow leopard

How do you define bang there?

Unfortunately, I can't get hardware at US prices :(

Mental Filler
May 5, 2007

She can ride or walk
either leave it or love it
For your consideration: http://store.apple.com/de/browse/home/specialdeals/mac/macbook_pro?mco=OTY2ODcxOQ

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003

Wow, thank you!

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea
You could also get a 17" core i7 with 4gb of ram and a 500gb HD for under a grand. To get a slower core i5 macbook it's about £1800.
edit: from dell. They're good these days. My laptop had an overheating problem because i'd left it on in a basement all night. I was doing a dj set 2 days later and managed to get dell to bring me a brand new one and swap them on the spot. I was beyond impressed.

If you're just using it for music there wont be any difference between them anyway - the only time you'll see the OS is browsing sample folders.

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003
A 15" dell with a core i7-720, 4gb of ram and even just a 250gb hd costs 1800 euros :(

edit wait I somehow got into small busniess mode on that stupid loving website

edit2: well that's the most bang for the buck so far at 1500 euros for a 17" i7-720, 6gb ram, 1tb HDD

edit3: found a 5% coupon code so there's 1384 euros on the bill now. I think i'll just go ahead and do that.

edit4: dude im gettin a dell

wayfinder fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Aug 21, 2010

ZeldaLeft
Oct 15, 2004
Waiting in the mirrors of the Hotel Lobby
I've got several instruments, fl studio, and vsts routed to separate audio channels. What I'd like to do is be able to record loops on the fly, save them, and be able to play them and sequence them, while doing something else with that instrument. Can someone tell me what I need to do/learn to accomplish this? And maybe a suggestion to a good way to map it to a midi controller?

RivensBitch
Jul 25, 2002

wayfinder posted:

How do you define bang there?

Unfortunately, I can't get hardware at US prices :(

Lower latency, higher track counts, more real time inputs with real time effects on them, more plugins, fewer (if any) crashes, more reliable sleep/wake time, more compatability with hardware (I have several different audio interfaces, a powercore firewire DSP unit, and an access virus TI), less headaches when upgrading drivers/software.

And I'm not exaggerating in the slightest, it's a better platform and It's quadrupled my productivity.

Computer Jones
Jun 22, 2005

cubicle gangster posted:

If you're just using it for music there wont be any difference between them anyway - the only time you'll see the OS is browsing sample folders.

There are Windows-only and Mac-only VSTs/AUs, though.

colonp
Apr 21, 2007
Hi!

colonp fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Mar 8, 2014

dj bobby bieber
Oct 9, 2003

the fanciest whale

RivensBitch posted:

Lower latency, higher track counts, more real time inputs with real time effects on them, more plugins, fewer (if any) crashes, more reliable sleep/wake time, more compatability with hardware (I have several different audio interfaces, a powercore firewire DSP unit, and an access virus TI), less headaches when upgrading drivers/software.

And I'm not exaggerating in the slightest, it's a better platform and It's quadrupled my productivity.

How do you like your TI? My friend is selling a Polar for 1500 and I'm thinking about getting it to replace my Gaia

Computer Jones
Jun 22, 2005

melee beats posted:

How do you like your TI? My friend is selling a Polar for 1500 and I'm thinking about getting it to replace my Gaia

Gaia SH-01? What's up with it then? I thought they sounded kinda cool.

dj bobby bieber
Oct 9, 2003

the fanciest whale

Computer Jones posted:

Gaia SH-01? What's up with it then? I thought they sounded kinda cool.

The build quality leaves a lot to be desired. It's a good synth, but right now I'm using it mostly for my Talkbox. I am really looking for a companion to my Voyager, and a TI Polar seems right up my alley.

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

Damn, this is good coffee.
Well, after playing with Ableton Live with my keyboard and mouse for a little while, I decided to man up and spend some of my discretionary income on an Akai APC40. Should be here by Friday or so, I'm really, really looking forward to playing with it :)

Any reading I should do in the meantime?

RizieN
May 15, 2004

and it was still hot.

RivensBitch posted:

I can attest to this. Making music on my old PC and making music on my Macbook Pro is like having sex with a condom(PC) and having sex without a condom(mac).

RivensBitch
Jul 25, 2002

melee beats posted:

I have a snow and it's great, I wish I'd gotten the full desktop so I could use all 16 instruments instead of 4. You should grab that polar, $1500 is a steal.

RizieN posted:

I can attest to this. Making music on my old PC and making music on my Macbook Pro is like having sex with a condom(PC) and having sex without a condom(mac).

And yet the PC is much more prone to being infected...

dj bobby bieber
Oct 9, 2003

the fanciest whale

RivensBitch posted:

I have a snow and it's great, I wish I'd gotten the full desktop so I could use all 16 instruments instead of 4. You should grab that polar, $1500 is a steal.
I don't think I'd ever need to buy a synth again if I had the Polar and the Voyager, haha

Tostito
Sep 5, 2007

life is good
Besides Akai APC40, what is your favorite way to control Ableton?

What is your favorite audio effect?

colonp
Apr 21, 2007
Hi!

colonp fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Mar 8, 2014

pass me a natty bro
Jun 18, 2010

by angerbot

Tostito posted:

Besides Akai APC40, what is your favorite way to control Ableton?

The Bridge :smuggo:

Anyone else here testing out the bridge?

RivensBitch
Jul 25, 2002

pass me a natty bro posted:

The Bridge :smuggo:

Anyone else here testing out the bridge?

I have a bridge in Brooklyn I can sell you

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea

wayfinder posted:

edit4: dude im gettin a dell
Did you get one of the fancy designed cases?

My favourite audio effect is distortion (guitar hardware/maschine) and I like to control ableton with a mouse!
My maschine is just for beat stuff, I export and arrange seperatly.

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003

cubicle gangster posted:

Did you get one of the fancy designed cases?

My favourite audio effect is distortion (guitar hardware/maschine) and I like to control ableton with a mouse!
My maschine is just for beat stuff, I export and arrange seperatly.
I got a studio 17 with a multitouch screen, can't wait to see if that helps with playing music

colonp
Apr 21, 2007
Hi!

colonp fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Mar 8, 2014

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea
I'd actually get max for live if I had that - it cant be too hard to learn how to make a bigger button that does the same as a smaller button. Custom controllers rock.
You could probably whip up most of what the lemurs controls do if you knew enough max.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

I can't seem to hook up the midi channel on M-Audio Fast Track Pro to Ableton Live. I also can't seem to record stuff from different channels of the M-Audio device separately. If this is the wrong thread for the question, could you point me in the right direction?