Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tolerabletariff
Jul 3, 2009

Do you think I'm spooky?
The Machine, I'm glad you got your post in--I hadn't seen any of Nroo's films so I had almost nothing to base a recommendation off of. Go aheead and watch Sunset Boulevard; classic film noir, I saw this movie in the one film studies class I took. If I recall, Gloria Swanson is fantastic as a washed-up silent movie star waiting for her big return to the screen.

As for me, I just finished No Country for Old Men. Javier Bardem's psychopathic killer is by far one of the creepiest, most menacing, and incredibly chillingly evil characters I've ever seen on screen, stage, or page. Even his voice seems devoid of soul. An absolutely terrifying character. I was a little surprised to see (seriously, huge spoiler, don't mouse over this if you're planning on watching it) the primary protagonist die halfway through the film but Tommy Lee Jones carried the spotlight quite well through the remainder. I did find his character and relations with the deputy very similar to Margie from Fargo, another fantastic Cohen film.

Here's my reorganized list:
Alexandr Nevsky: I've seen it but at a concert (long story, but at Wolftrap a full orchestra plays movies scores with the accompanying film) and I was too young to remember it. It will also be a chance to work on my fledging Russian.

No Country For Old Men: I tend to watch a lot more older movies than newer ones, but I do try to see the Best Picture and nominees. This won recently and I've been meaning to see it.

There Will Be Blood: Same reason as above, except as a nominee.

Animal House: I've never seen it and I'm in a fraternity. Rather shameful, I'd say.

Old School: Another movie that the guys I live with liked a lot, but I haven't seen. I'm a Will Ferrell fan (don't judge!) so I think I'll like it.

Once Upon A Time in the West: I love spaghetti Westerns, Sergio Leone, and Enmio Morricone, so this definitely has a spot on my list.

Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas: I've heard it's great, but evidently you need to be hosed up to get enjoyment out of it. I dunno, that's what my friend said, I believed her because she knows about movies and drugs.

The Seventh Seal: I like Ingmar Bergman, and haven't seen nearly enough Medieval-period films.

The Killing Fields: I'm a big fan of Sam Waterson and this is a somewhat different take on the Vietnam War film, so I've been meaning to see this for a while.

*Added* The Usual Suspects: I feel like if a film is going to get its title from a line in the greatest movie ever made, it has to meet certain quality standards. I've heard this is a "smart" movie with a plot that isn't as predictable as most that have come out recently, so I'm interested.

Well, let's hear it!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

von Braun
Oct 30, 2009

Broder Daniel Forever
I just finished Rashômon and I must say that it is a great film. I am familiar with Mifune's crazy acting since before, but oh man this was wild. His laughter really added to the already slightly eerie setting of this film. It feels like it is a necessary film because of its subject; what is really the truth?

modestduty: If you love spaghetti westerns, watch Once Upon A Time In The West. It has everything you would want from a western. Also the score is fantastic.

UPDATED:
1. 400 Blows
I bought this together with Diary of a Country Priest on Criterion but since I had not wanted to see The 400 Blows for as long as Country Priest, I never got around to it. Also, I have never seen French New Wave before.

2. Lolita
On my shelf I have every Kubrick movie which I was going to through chronologically (I have seen Full Metal Jacket, Clockwork Orange and 2001 before), but when I got up to Lolita I just stopped. I have seen bits on TV but it looks so bland... I love Kubrick so I will give it a shot.

3. Hamnstad (Port of Call)
When I heard about Criterion's Eclipse series I was really excited about this since Ingmar Bergman is a person and director I hold in high respect, but I just stopped watching when I got to this. Also after I finish this box I will watch...

4. Jungfrukällan (The Virgin Spring)
No real excuse here.

5. M
We were going to watch it in film class but I was sick that day so I never got around to it.

6. Metropolis
Had it for the longest time, never watched it.

7. Rashômon
I really enjoy the few (Two) Kurosawa I have seen and this is what I really want to see next and then eventually all of them.

8. Psycho
I really do not have a good excuse here, though I have not seen too many Hitchcock's either except from Vertigo, Rear Window and The Man Who Knew Too Much.

9. Three Colours
Never seen a Kieselowski before but I know I should.

10. Let The Right One In
Really ashamed of this one. Had it for the longest time too.

Edit: Mistakes in the text.

mikewozere
Jun 2, 2008

Aiiiii
Just finished watching 2001: A Space Odyssey. I'm going to be honest and incur the wrath of many and say it wasn't really my cup of tea. I really liked the score and a lot of the shots in the film but it almost felt like more of an art experience than a film experience. It was like walking round a gallery or something. A lot of it was beautiful but I didn't really find it enjoyable

von Braun I'm going to recommend Let The Right One In again because it's just brilliant.

Updated List:

Casablanca
Cool Hand Luke
It's a Wonderful Life - Need to get some James Stewart down me.

2001: A Space Odyssey
North by Northwest - I loved Rear Window and thought I'd add another Hitchcock.

Amadeus
Rear Window
Psycho - Might as well replace Rear Window with another Hitchcock film, seeing as I enjoyed it so much. Hope the parodies don't ruin this one, although I think I've already seen the infamous shower scene.

Seven Samurai
The Magnificent Seven - Seems fitting to replace Seven Samurai with this. Westerns are a genre that's almost completely missing from my repertoire, having only really watched Sergio Leone's and some of the more modern, post 90's ones. I put this down to my Dad's ceaseless watching of them when I was growing up and him being able to actually quote the next lines in pretty much any Western that was on.

Once Upon A Time In America
Zatoichi - Can't remember when or who recommended this to me but it's been sat in my DVD collection for about 4 years and I haven't watched it.

Bande á part - I bought this on DVD knowing it shared the name with Tarantino's production company. Never got round to watching it, though.

Jackie Brown - While we're on the subject of Tarantino, this is another film that has never compelled me to watch it, despite a friend of mine relentlessly quoting Samuel Jackson's lines.

Children of Men
The Deer Hunter
Sunset Boulevard - Know nothing about this film.

Badlands
The Graduate - I really don't know much about this film and I've not seen any of Hoffman's work before Rainman, really. Never had the opportunity to watch this.

Downfall
Serpico - Big fan of Pacino but never sat down and watched this.

Bodnoirbabe
Apr 30, 2007

mikewozere posted:

The Graduate - I really don't know much about this film and I've not seen any of Hoffman's work before Rainman, really. Never had the opportunity to watch this.

I just watched The Graduate and it was good, but I just want to add that if you want to see more of his work prior to Rainman, you HAVE to see Little Big Man. One of my favorite films and Hoffman is excellent in it.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

mikewozere, I felt the same way about 2001. Sunset Boulevard is what you get to watch next.

The Traveling Players is the first true dud for me with this thread. I've had a few I didn't like much but at least they weren't 4 hours of boredom. It's not strictly a bad film but everything is very mundane, it's hard to really get a grasp on, or care about, any of the characters and it seems to expect a greater knowledge of Greek history than I have.

Updated list:

America, America There's a Cahiers du cinéma top 100 films list out there and I have only 2 left. This is the one I would have a hard time making myself watch otherwise. A Kazan film about the American dream that's 3 hours long, that really doesn't sound very interesting but who knows.

Nostalghia Tarkovsky's cool, guess I need to see this.

Dr. Mabuse: The Gambler Replacing one long Lang silent with another.

Beau Travail I've never seen anything from Claire Denis, this sounds like a good place to start.

Europa '51 Another highly regarded Italian director I'm kind of meh on, but it does have Ingrid Bergman.

The Devils I've heard good stuff about this and the only Ken Russell film was a very pleasant surprise so I'd like to check out more.

Reds This is something about communists right?

Five Fingers of Death I hear this is a good kung fu film.

Werckmeister Harmonies I hear lots of good things.

Lilja 4-ever I'm under the impression this is very depressing but very good.

For the hell of it, here's what I've seen so far:
Last Tango In Paris 7.5/10 , Lola Montes 8.5/10 , First Blood 8.5/10 , Lolita 8.5/10 , The New World 8.5/10 , The Decalogue 9.5/10 , Neotpravlennoye pismo 10/10 , A Passage to India 8.5/10 , Yi-Yi 8.5/10 , The Last Emperor 7.5/10 , In a Year with 13 Moons 8.5/10 , The Big Red One 8.5/10 , Les Vampires 9.5/10 , Ballad of a Soldier 9.5/10 , Chelsea Girls 7.5/10 , Kin-Dza-Dza 9/10 , My Life as a Dog 8/10 , The Man who Fell to Earth 8/10 , Red Beard 8.5/10 , Satantango 9/10 , Napoleon 10/10 , Faces 9/10 , Godzilla 7/10, Olympia I 9.5/10 II 8.5/10 , Bad Day at Black Rock 9/10, Soy Cuba 9.5/10, Ossessione 8/10, Greed 10/10, Hoop Dreams 9.5/10, The Burmese Harp 9.5/10 , Éloge de l'amour 6.5/10 , Woodstock 7.5/10 , Die Nibelungen Siegfried 9/10 Kriemhild 8.5/10, Ceddo 10/10 , Wrath of Khan - 7/10 , Shoah 9/10 , City of Sadness 8.5/10, Fires on the Plain 9/10 , Berlin Alexanderplatz 9/10 , Heima 6.5/10 , Angels with Dirty Faces 8.5/10 , Juliet of the Spirits 7/10 Kings of the Road 8.5/10 , Farewell My Concubine 7.5/10 , Dodesukaden 10/10 , The Shootist 7/10 , Goodbye Lenin 9.5/10 ,
La hora de los hornos 9/10 , The Traveling Players 5/10

Arkane
Dec 19, 2006

by R. Guyovich
PA you are getting the only movie I've heard of, and that is Reds. Good luck with the commies, they're a nasty bunch.

I watched The Elephant Man and - cognizant of the fact that it's so adored - I didn't particularly care for it. For me, the vignette-style editing was a turn off, the really unrealistic plot felt forced for Hollywood storytelling, and at the end I didn't care for the character as much as I should have. There was a powerful story to tell here, and for just about everyone, such a story was told. But for me it wasn't, unfortunately. The Adagio for Strings was a great touch, though, as was the final scene and final shot.

Updated List:

It's a Wonderful Life - Tier 10, Mr. Smith Goes to Washington - Tier 10
The Adventures of Robin Hood - Going to veer off the Capra/Stewart track for a Claude Rains movie I haven't seen.

Singing in the Rain - Tier 9
Dancer in the Dark - I have seen one von Trier movie, which I thoroughly hated. However, I believe this film will be a bit more accessible, so I'll give him another try I suppose. I've also wanted to see this movie for a while, but never had occasion to watch it.

On the Waterfront - Tier 9, A Streetcar Named Desire - Tier 10
East of Eden - I have seen Rebel Without a Cause and fell asleep halfway through Giant with little interest in returning (oh it's "sprawling" alright), but the one film of Mr. Dean's that I haven't seen is East of Eden. Also directed by Elia Kazan. I am eager to see this one.

Aguirre: The Wrath of God - Tier 8, The Elephant Man - Tier 5
I, Claudius - 1970s miniseries - featuring Mr. John Hurt - about the Roman empire. I've heard of the book, but didn't know this was a miniseries. With a 9.3 on IMDB, color me interested.

The Graduate - Tier 9, Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf? - Tier 7
A Man for All Seasons - Also based on a play, this beat Virginia Woolf in nearly every category in the Oscars en route to a near-sweep of its categories. Surely must be good (I think?). This wasn't ever on my RADAR, and I have no clue what it's about outside of characters, but now I'm looking forward to it.

Stand by Me - Tier 7
Hannah and her Sisters - I've seen pretty much all of Woody Allen's early work and all of his recent work, but nothing in between. Seems like a good enough place to start.

8 1/2 - Tier 9, Amarcord - Tier 7
Nights of Cabiria - Would like to continue with the Fellini filmography (feel free to recommend an alternate Fellini work!).

Ed Wood - Tier 9, Fear & Loathing in Las Vegas - Tier 7, Shakespeare in Love - Tier 9
Elizabeth - Joseph Fiennes again? What the hell is going on.

The Last Waltz - Well-reviewed documentary directed by Scorsese, but the fact that much of the focus is on music performances hasn't ever turned me on to this.

City Lights - Never had any interest in watching this movie, but I gather it's rather brilliant for the times (or any time).

nah
Mar 16, 2009

Arkane, you have to watch Elizabeth. I thought it was very interesting. Not my favorite but I dunno what else to pick from your list :v:

I watched All About Eve and I was very surprised with it; didn't expect such a full, rich story, and the dark comedy elements were pretty drat great. Loved it.

1. Seven Samurai - I guess the daunting length has prevented me?
2. Rear Window - Haven't seen much Hitchcock.
3. Once Upon a Time in the West - Haven't found any westerns I care for, other than The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly.
4. Sunset Blvd - This one always seemed "meh" to me
5. Aliens
6. M - I enjoyed Metropolis...
7. Spirited Away - I find Miyazaki to be pretty weird.
8. Amadeus
9. All About Eve
10. Annie Hall - Woody strikes me oddly...
11. The Grapes of Wrath - Years of puns on the title have scared me away.
12. City of God - Like with Aliens, I have no idea why I haven't gotten around to it. Sounds right up my alley
13. The Pianist - No reason for this one.

von Braun
Oct 30, 2009

Broder Daniel Forever

Arkane posted:

I watched The Elephant Man and - cognizant of the fact that it's so adored - I didn't particularly care for it. For me, the vignette-style editing was a turn off, the really unrealistic plot felt forced for Hollywood storytelling, and at the end I didn't care for the character as much as I should have. There was a powerful story to tell here, and for just about everyone, such a story was told. But for me it wasn't, unfortunately. The Adagio for Strings was a great touch, though, as was the final scene and final shot.

It isn't that unrealistic.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Elephant_Man_(film)#Historical_accuracy

TannhauserGate
Nov 25, 2007

by garbage day

bananasinpajamas posted:

1. Seven Samurai - I guess the daunting length has prevented me?

Do it, and get the awesome new Criterion version if at all possible. I will always try to recommend this film to people.

For me: Lawrence of Arabia is surprisingly good, with surprising and good in equal parts. The surprising was a film of that era having such a flamboyantly gay main character portrayed well. The good is primarily the visuals, which are just amazing. Many of the desert scenes are jaw-dropping.

-One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest
-The Great Dictator- I don't think I've ever seen a Chaplain film all the way through.
-Once Upon a Time in the West- Love Good/Bad/Ugly and so forth, didn't catch this one.
-Vertigo- Don't generally like Hitchcock, I've always thought of giving this a chance.
-Lawrence of Arabia
-The Curious Case of Benjamin Button- Not usually a tear-jerker sort of person.
-Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind- That chick from Titanic is hot, but something about the marketing threw me off.
-Raging Bull- I usually don't jive with deNiro, I didn't even like Taxi Driver.
-Inglourious Basterds- Missed it at box office, haven't caught it since.
-Brazil- I saw 12 Monkeys, so don't give me that look!
-Star Trek(2009)- No matter how many people recommend it, I can't get past the iPod visuals.
-Ikiru
-M- Metropolis is my #1 movie, all-time, haven't seen any other Lang

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

TannhauserGate watch Eternal Sunshine.

Reds was pretty drat good. I thought it would be yet another film set in the post WWII burgeoning cold war era, but it was actualy set in the 1910s which I found really interesting. The rise of the international workers movements, the Russian revolution and the many conflicting perspectives of how a worker's revolution could be achieved and what it even means were explored through the life of John Reed, someone I wasn't acquainted with at all. I really liked it a lot, it's long but has a lot of detail into the characters and the backdrop of the state of both the world and U.S. politics.

Updated list:

America, America There's a Cahiers du cinéma top 100 films list out there and I have only this one left, which I would have a hard time making myself watch otherwise. A Kazan film about the American dream that's 3 hours long, that really doesn't sound very interesting but who knows.

Beau Travail I've never seen anything from Claire Denis, this sounds like a good place to start.

Europa '51 Another highly regarded Italian director I'm kind of meh on, but it does have Ingrid Bergman.

The Devils I've heard good stuff about this and the only Ken Russell film was a very pleasant surprise so I'd like to check out more.

Five Fingers of Death I hear this is a good kung fu film.

Taegukgi hwinalrimyeo A Korean war film that's really highly rated on Imdb, hadn't watched it beacuase I thought it was long but two and a half hours doesn't seem that long now.

Last Tango In Paris 7.5/10 , Lola Montes 8.5/10 , First Blood 8.5/10 , Lolita 8.5/10 , The New World 8.5/10 , The Decalogue 9.5/10 , Neotpravlennoye pismo 10/10 , A Passage to India 8.5/10 , Yi-Yi 8.5/10 , The Last Emperor 7.5/10 , In a Year with 13 Moons 8.5/10 , The Big Red One 8.5/10 , Les Vampires 9.5/10 , Ballad of a Soldier 9.5/10 , Chelsea Girls 7.5/10 , Kin-Dza-Dza 9/10 , My Life as a Dog 8/10 , The Man who Fell to Earth 8/10 , Red Beard 8.5/10 , Satantango 9/10 , Napoleon 10/10 , Faces 9/10 , Godzilla 7/10, Olympia I 9.5/10 II 8.5/10 , Bad Day at Black Rock 9/10, Soy Cuba 9.5/10, Ossessione 8/10, Greed 10/10, Hoop Dreams 9.5/10, The Burmese Harp 9.5/10 , Éloge de l'amour 6.5/10 , Woodstock 7.5/10 , Die Nibelungen Siegfried 9/10 Kriemhild 8.5/10, Ceddo 10/10 , Wrath of Khan - 7/10 , Shoah 9/10 , City of Sadness 8.5/10, Fires on the Plain 9/10 , Berlin Alexanderplatz 9/10 , Heima 6.5/10 , Angels with Dirty Faces 8.5/10 , Juliet of the Spirits 7/10 Kings of the Road 8.5/10 , Farewell My Concubine 7.5/10 , Dodesukaden 10/10 , The Shootist 7/10 , Goodbye Lenin 9.5/10 ,
La hora de los hornos 9/10 , The Traveling Players 5/10 , Reds 9/10

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Peaceful Anarchy posted:

This is my favorite out of the stuff on your list. And since you liked Satantango, it seems like a safe bet.

Plan 9 from Outer Space - This is not "the worst movie ever made" (a stupid appellation invented by The Biggest Dipshit Ever Born, Michael Medved). Yes, its amateurish inadequacies are well-documented: the cheap sets, the laughable dialogue, the outrageous disregard for the most basic continuity, the absurd science, the hilarious attempt to conceal Lugosi's posthumous double, the subpar performances and baffling characterizations. But gently caress it, it's a minor miracle to get any movie made, especially with just a few friends and a miniscule budget. I'll reserve my "worst movie ever made" title for something that has some big studio money behind it and still manages to be awful. Something like Empire Records. And this movie is also not "so bad it's good". Well... it is, but that's not all it is. It's rather entertaining in its own right, and maybe this is just me projecting based on Burton's biopic, but you can feel that there is a certain passion for the material. It's mostly a lot of fun, both because of and despite all its ineptitudes. And besides... Wood actually pulls off a few interesting shots, some of the performances aren't that bad, and the score is really quite good. It doesn't merit the "worst ever" title, nor does it merit a fanatical cult following. I'd watch it again... and to me that's the most important indicator of quality. Rating: 7

I'm still going with the "Criterions I've been avoiding" theme (except the first two), although I'll probably swap some titles out next time. After trying to get through the Costa set recently, I've given up on trying to see every Criterion.

1. The Haunting - This is supposed to be good, right? Robert Wise is hit or miss with me, but at least I've liked all his film noir.

2. Two English Girls - The only Truffaut movie I haven't seen. I would have gotten to it eventually, now you can force me to!

3. Samurai II - I've forgotten most of Samurai I, so don't recommend this if it's a prerequisite.

4. Insomnia - Well, I saw the remake and wasn't too thrilled with it, although I know that has no bearing on whether or not I'd like the original.

5. And God Created Woman - I dunno.

6. W.C Fields: 6 Short Films - I really hate W.C. Fields.

7. The Element of Crime - Von Trier is interesting... I think I started watching this once, but I've forgotten why I turned it off.

8. Mona Lisa - Not a big Bob Hoskins fan.

9. Withnail and I - I watched the first 15-20 minutes and it annoyed the gently caress out of me. But if I'm going to watch the entire Criterion Collection, I guess I have to finish it someday.

10. Carl Th. Dreyer: My Metier - Does this even count? It does if I want to get OCD about the checklist at ListsOfBests.com

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

FitFortDanga posted:

6. W.C Fields: 6 Short Films - I really hate W.C. Fields.

Having watched this despite hating Fields I can say that he's not quite as bad in shorts, since the drawing poo poo out tactic he so loves is limited by the length. They're still pretty damned bad, though, and don't belong on your list. Pool sharks is the best because not only is it the shortest, but it's also silent.

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

Take me to the green valley,
lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong

FitFortDanga posted:

Plan 9 from Outer Space - :words:

I saw Plan 9 for the first time when I was 13 and it was easily the worst movie I had ever seen, but in hindsight it's probably the best movie he made. Glen or Glenda is far more amazingly campy, not to mention Bride of the Monster. I'd recommend either of those if you really wanted to see Wood in his terrible element.

tolerabletariff
Jul 3, 2009

Do you think I'm spooky?
FitFortDanga, I honestly have no idea what to tell you. I wish I had even heard of any of the films on your list. Well, that's not quite true. I think I've heard of Insomnia, so go watch that. Sorry I don't have more to base this off of.

Once Upon a Time in the West was terrific. The score was fantastic, and the way the harmonica's significance became clear in the end was brilliant. It did, however, tend to ramble at times, more in dramatic cinematography (the three gunmen who get a ton of camera time in the long opening scene are completely irrelevant) than in dialog. The writing was good but not great, although I found both Bronson and Fonda superb; Jason Robards, the other significant male lead, was not as good. I also found the decision to play the rather whimsical theme as Cheyanne dies in the end rather odd. I didn't like it quite as much as The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly, but it was still an excellent film. I think this may have the first time I've seen Bronson in anything.

So, moving on:
Alexandr Nevsky: I've seen it but at a concert (long story, but at Wolftrap a full orchestra plays movies scores with the accompanying film) and I was too young to remember it. It will also be a chance to work on my fledging Russian.

No Country For Old Men: I tend to watch a lot more older movies than newer ones, but I do try to see the Best Picture and nominees. This won recently and I've been meaning to see it.

There Will Be Blood: Same reason as above, except as a nominee.

Animal House: I've never seen it and I'm in a fraternity. Rather shameful, I'd say.

Old School: Another movie that the guys I live with liked a lot, but I haven't seen. I'm a Will Ferrell fan (don't judge!) so I think I'll like it.

Once Upon A Time in the West: I love spaghetti Westerns, Sergio Leone, and Enmio Morricone, so this definitely has a spot on my list.

Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas: I've heard it's great, but evidently you need to be hosed up to get enjoyment out of it. I dunno, that's what my friend said, I believed her because she knows about movies and drugs.

The Seventh Seal: I like Ingmar Bergman, and haven't seen nearly enough Medieval-period films.

The Killing Fields: I'm a big fan of Sam Waterson and this is a somewhat different take on the Vietnam War film, so I've been meaning to see this for a while.

The Usual Suspects: I feel like if a film is going to get its title from a line in the greatest movie ever made, it has to meet certain quality standards. I've heard this is a "smart" movie with a plot that isn't as predictable as most that have come out recently, so I'm interested.

Added to this is A Fistful of Dollars: I liked Once Upon a Time in the West and loved The Good, The Bad, and the Ugly, so this is logical.

Well, let's hear it!

tolerabletariff fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Aug 17, 2010

von Braun
Oct 30, 2009

Broder Daniel Forever

von Braun posted:

Let The Right One In - What can I say? Good film, but I went in with a bit too high expectations. The two child actors (Kåde Hedebrant and Lina Leandersson) made a good debut, but it felt like Kåde (Oskar) was lacking something.
Some parts seemed slow but I was still glued to the screen the whole way through thanks to the great cinematography.

modestduty: Go for Fear and Loathing In Las Vegas. This is a movie you will either love to death or hate. It's screwed up and awesome.

UPDATED:
1. 400 Blows
I bought this together with Diary of a Country Priest on Criterion but since I had not wanted to see The 400 Blows for as long as Country Priest, I never got around to it. Also, I have never seen French New Wave before.

2. Lolita
On my shelf I have every Kubrick movie which I was going to through chronologically (I have seen Full Metal Jacket, Clockwork Orange and 2001 before), but when I got up to Lolita I just stopped. I have seen bits on TV but it looks so bland... I love Kubrick so I will give it a shot.

3. Hamnstad (Port of Call)
When I heard about Criterion's Eclipse series I was really excited about this since Ingmar Bergman is a person and director I hold in high respect, but I just stopped watching when I got to this. Also after I finish this box I will watch...

4. Jungfrukällan (The Virgin Spring)
No real excuse here.

5. M
We were going to watch it in film class but I was sick that day so I never got around to it.

6. Metropolis
Had it for the longest time, never watched it.

7. Rashômon
Yojimbo
Might as well continue with the Kurosawa. I ordered this with Sanjuro before the box-set with the two from Criterion was released but it was out of stock at the time.

8. Psycho
I really do not have a good excuse here, though I have not seen too many Hitchcock's either except from Vertigo, Rear Window and The Man Who Knew Too Much.

9. Three Colours
Never seen a Kieselowski before but I know I should.

10. Låt Den Rätte Komma In (Let The Right One In)
The Royal Tenenbaums
Bought this on Criterion for cheap on an auction site and it has been sitting left unseen on my shelf ever since. Also, never seen a Wes Andersson.

Edit: Didn't really check modestduty's list good enough when I recommended movie.

von Braun fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Aug 16, 2010

Nroo
Dec 31, 2007

von Braun, you get to watch Yojimbo.

M was a great movie. Very impressive camerawork for the early ‘30s, considering how the inclusion of sound was very limiting at first. Plus it had a really ballsy message even for its time, empathizing in a way with a child murderer. It even seemed to become a more relevant as a social commentary: He can’t control is compulsion to kill, and neither can the mob that seeks to punish him. Looking forward to seeing more from Fritz Lang. 9.3/10

My Shameful List:

1. Vertigo – I’ve watched a criminally small amount of Hitchcock.

2. The Rules of the Game – I’m going down the TSPDT list and this is right after Vertigo, I don't know much about it though.

3. 8 ½ - I've never watched a single Fellini film and I’ve recently bought the BluRay at the insistence of a friend with usually questionable tastes in film.

4. Tokyo Story – More unseen film from the TSPDT list.

5. Metropolis – I haven’t seen that many silent films and this one intrigues me the most.

6. O Brother, Where Art Thou? – I really dig the Coen Brothers and I’ve heard lots of good things about this one

7. Rear Window – Like I said, I need to watch more Hitchcock.

8. The Shawshank Redemption – IMDB loves this movie, I should see what the fuss is all about.

9. Ikiru – One of the famous Kurosawa films I haven’t seen yet.

10. The Conformist – Criticker says I’ll give it a 100, might as well check it out.

Watched: Raging Bull – 9.8, The New World – 9.4, Pan’s Labyrinth – 9.5, Barry Lyndon – 9.0, The Trial – 9.6, Amadeus – 9.7, M – 9.3

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

Nroo, nice list you get Vertigo because it's my favourite Hitchcock.

Werckmeister Harmonies was really good, maybe even great. I love the long takes and the beautiful cinematography and the general mood as well. Despite liking it a lot and being something I'd be more than willing to revisit, I feel like I wish I could like it more. Like with Satantango it doesn't quite hit that last note that brings something up from great to a personal favourite.

Updated list:

America, America There's a Cahiers du cinéma top 100 films list out there and I have only this one left, which I would have a hard time making myself watch otherwise. A Kazan film about the American dream that's 3 hours long, that really doesn't sound very interesting but who knows.

Five Fingers of Death I hear this is a good kung fu film, I've not seen many kung fu films.

Taegukgi hwinalrimyeo A Korean war film that's really highly rated on Imdb, hadn't watched it beacuase I thought it was long but two and a half hours doesn't seem that long now.

Koyaanisqatsi I've had the DVD for a while and I've come this close to putting it on a couple of times yet something seems to come up to distract me. Give me that extra push.

La hora de los hornos 9/10 , The Traveling Players 5/10 , Reds 9/10 , Werckmeister Harmonies 9/10[/b]

Arkane
Dec 19, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Wait for the Blu-ray on Koyaanisqatsi or see it in theaters. Don't be tempted to watch it in low-def!

tokillthesunflower
Oct 18, 2009

WHAT DID YOUR FATHER TEACH YOU?

Peaceful Anarchy posted:

Five Fingers of Death I hear this is a good kung fu film, I've not seen many kung fu films.

Kung-fu sounds like a great idea right now.

I really liked The African Queen. The story was quite engaging, and I absolutely fell in love with the two characters. If you only have two characters on screen for an hour and a half, Katharine Hepburn and Humphrey Bogart are two fantastic actors to spend that hour and a half with.

New List:

A Fistful of Dollars I hated westerns when I was younger. Funnily enough the one that changed my mind was The Good, The Bad and The Ugly. Still not sure why I haven't seen the first two.

The Conformist Just recently found out about this movie, and it has not yet made it up my Netflix.

Sunrise Same as The Conformist

The Rules of the Game Honestly never even heard of this film.

La Dolce Vita Saw 8 1/2, liked it well enough, but haven't gone any further into Fellini's films.

The Gold Rush Continuing my Chaplin journey.

Ordet Excited to watch this after having recently seen The Passion of Joan of Arc.

L'Avventura I've never seen any Antonioni, but I'm finding I really like Italian film from this period.

Persona IhaveneverseenanIngmarBergmanfilm. :ohdear:

Andrei Rublev After reading up on this on IMDb, it sounds really interesting.

Finally watched: Lawrence of Arabia, Annie Hall, Vertigo, Braveheart, Battleship Potemkin, It's a Wonderful Life, Tokyo Story, The Bicycle Thief, Rashomon, Night of the Hunter, La Grande Illusion, City Lights, The Grapes of Wrath, The General, Les Enfants Du Paradis, Dr. Strangelove, The Passion of Joan of Arc, Seven Samurai, Breathless, Apocalypse Now, The 400 Blows, The African Queen

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.
Wow, tons. If anything, the Consensus Depository has really shown me what I'm missing out on.

Adaptation.
Citizen Kane: No, seriously. Never seen it.
Brazil: This, along with a few other Gilliam films (Munchausen and Time Bandits) really bother me.
Doctor Zhivago
Vertigo: The mix of Jimmy Stewart and Hitchcock was amazing before, so why shouldn't this be just as great?
A Clockwork Orange: In the last few years, I've really gotten into Kubrick's films, even the lesser ones like Eyes Wide Shut.
Spirited Away: Howl's Moving Castle and Princess Mononoke are two great films, and two of my favorite Japanese animated films, so I'd think this must be necessary viewing.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Red, you need to pick something for tokillthesunflower to watch.

mikewozere
Jun 2, 2008

Aiiiii
Just finished Sunset Blvd. and was very impressed. It seems very innovative for it's time. I'm not sure how many other films before it have began with the death of the main character, or even been narrated by a dead character. The madness of Norma was very chilling and it is tragic how Joe gets caught up in it all. It reminded me of the relationship between Dr.Garrigan and Idi Amin in The Last King of Scotland; the sense of being trapped but not being able to do anything about it. I loved the film-noir style of it all too. Classic film.

I guess I'll keep the thread moving and recommend for both of you. tokillthesunflower you get A Fistful of Dollars as I too hated Westerns until I saw The Good, The Bad and The Ugly. Fistful of Dollars might well have been the next Western I saw, too.

Red you get to watch A Clockwork Orange because it's ace.

Updated List:

Casablanca
Cool Hand Luke
It's a Wonderful Life - Need to get some James Stewart down me.

2001: A Space Odyssey
North by Northwest - I loved Rear Window and thought I'd add another Hitchcock.

Amadeus
Rear Window
Psycho - Might as well replace Rear Window with another Hitchcock film, seeing as I enjoyed it so much. Hope the parodies don't ruin this one, although I think I've already seen the infamous shower scene.

Seven Samurai
The Magnificent Seven - Seems fitting to replace Seven Samurai with this. Westerns are a genre that's almost completely missing from my repertoire, having only really watched Sergio Leone's and some of the more modern, post 90's ones. I put this down to my Dad's ceaseless watching of them when I was growing up and him being able to actually quote the next lines in pretty much any Western that was on.

Once Upon A Time In America
Zatoichi - Can't remember when or who recommended this to me but it's been sat in my DVD collection for about 4 years and I haven't watched it.

Bande á part - I bought this on DVD knowing it shared the name with Tarantino's production company. Never got round to watching it, though.

Jackie Brown - While we're on the subject of Tarantino, this is another film that has never compelled me to watch it, despite a friend of mine relentlessly quoting Samuel Jackson's lines.

Children of Men
The Deer Hunter
Sunset Boulevard
Hard Boiled - Never seen this and I've no idea why. It looks like the sort of movie I'd like and I've heard great things about John Woo.

Badlands

Downfall
Serpico - Big fan of Pacino but never sat down and watched this.

Baktus
Jan 30, 2008
mikewozere you get to watch Jackie Brown.

I just watched The Third man. I thought it was a good movie, the whole mistery behind Harry Lime was great. I just wished we could get a better idea behind his motives, his friends didn't seem to believe he was involved. But the short time he is on screen he does act like scum. Maybe it is a double edged sword I can't have the great mistery of Harry Lime and a satisfying conclusion that isn't just money. As it is exactly that mistery that makes him a good character. I feel like the motives behind the whole mistery are not equal to the effort that was put in hiding the crime.
I just finished watching so maybe it will grow on me. I think this might be one of Orson Welles top roles. 8.5/10

The Gold Rush: I find Charlie Chaplin to be an extremely interesting person. I am pretty well read about him personally but haven't seen his movies.

Sunset Blvd
The Lost Weekend: Sticking with Billy Wilder theme here.

The Third Man:
The Maltese Falcon: This is a genre I definitely need to catch up to.

High Noon: Has been put on hold many times in favour of other westerns too many times.

M: I have a very vague idea what this movie is about. I know it is directed by Lang.

The Conversation
Dial M for Murder: This is a random pick from Hitchcock movies I have not seen.

The Hustler: I feel like I'm missing out on the legend of Paul Newman. Hoping to make amends.

Sleuth: Heard of this movie from these forums. It has been recommended pretty often so I'll put my trust in that.

The Treasure of Sierra Madre: This movie just never peaked my interest and always had to suffer defeat in the harsh world of movie picking filled with prejudice. But I'm now very willing to give it a go.

The Bridge on the river Kwai: This has always escaped my memory and everytime I do remember I don't feel in the mood to watch a long war movie. Maybe pressure from the internet can solve that.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

What the hell, I'll just eat some trash.

Baktus posted:

I just watched The Third man. I thought it was a good movie, the whole mistery behind Harry Lime was great. I just wished we could get a better idea behind his motives, his friends didn't seem to believe he was involved. But the short time he is on screen he does act like scum. Maybe it is a double edged sword I can't have the great mistery of Harry Lime and a satisfying conclusion that isn't just money. As it is exactly that mistery that makes him a good character. I feel like the motives behind the whole mistery are not equal to the effort that was put in hiding the crime.

The dude got paid boatloads of money. He never had to see the people he was hurting so it didn't bother him. He was just more of a sociopath than anyone realized - it's kind of like Kane in that way, everybody thought they knew Welles but only got a side of him. I don't know what more you could want from it, I think anything more complex than that would feel contrived and needlessly complicated.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

Baktus, the internet pressures you to watch The Bridge on the river Kwai

Five Fingers of Death is an entertaining kung fu film. I don't see greatness in it but it's solid fun that I enjoyed.

Updated list:

Koyaanisqatsi I've had the DVD for a while and I've come this close to putting it on a couple of times yet something seems to come up to distract me. Give me that extra push.

Ong-bak Is this any good? I've seen it mentioned a bunch of times. At least it fits into my attempt to see more martial arts films.

La hora de los hornos 9/10 , The Traveling Players 5/10 , Reds 9/10 , Werckmeister Harmonies 9/10 , Five Fingers of Death 8/10

Baktus
Jan 30, 2008

penismightier posted:

The dude got paid boatloads of money. He never had to see the people he was hurting so it didn't bother him. He was just more of a sociopath than anyone realized - it's kind of like Kane in that way, everybody thought they knew Welles but only got a side of him. I don't know what more you could want from it, I think anything more complex than that would feel contrived and needlessly complicated.

He was always described as a racketeer or a petty thief. I got the impression he was a criminal who masterminded this whole scheme and then to what end? Thinking of him as a sociopath puts a different spin on that. I wrote my entry right after seeing the movie so I put down my immediate thoughts. But as his apathy towards Anna shows that he just doesn't care for other people, at all. I felt like I needed a small reason to believe why this thief would go through this trouble. Putting him down as a socipath gives me a reason.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

What the hell, I'll just eat some trash.

Baktus posted:

He was always described as a racketeer or a petty thief. I got the impression he was a criminal who masterminded this whole scheme and then to what end? Thinking of him as a sociopath puts a different spin on that. I wrote my entry right after seeing the movie so I put down my immediate thoughts. But as his apathy towards Anna shows that he just doesn't care for other people, at all. I felt like I needed a small reason to believe why this thief would go through this trouble. Putting him down as a socipath gives me a reason.

Yeah, he just didn't give a gently caress. The ferris wheel scene really puts the whole thing into perspective - remember his childish joy about the chaos he causes and the whole bit about stopping one of those "dots" from moving.

EDIT: Ehh, better spoilertag that.

penismightier fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Aug 18, 2010

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.
Whoops - tokillthesunflower, you need to watch A Fistful of Dollars. All three films in the 'Man with No Name' trilogy are great, and if you liked Good/Bad/Ugly, you'll dig this as well.

Vertigo Ambrosia
May 26, 2004
Heretic, please.
Peaceful Anarchy, the only film on your list I know anything about is Dr. Mabuse: The Gambler, so there you go.

I thought Let the Right One In was a bit slow at first, but once it got going I realized how touching the relationship between Oskar and Eli is, and it's great to see a vampire movie that's about a bit more than vampires,

Updated list:

quote:

1. Chinatown - No excuse besides general film deprivation.

2. Solaris - The plot sounds really interesting, but I'm wary about the length.

3. Bullitt - I hear this Steve McQueen is a pretty cool guy... (thanks for reminding me about this, toro) Dog Day Afternoon - I almost put Serpico here, but after hearing about the plot, I feel like I really need to see this.

4. Imitation of Life - I was sick the day I had to watch this for class; I loved Written on the Wind, so I should really just watch it already.

5. A Fistful of Dollars - I've only seen two westerns ever, and only one Eastwood movie, so I figure I'd start here.

6. Badlands - I have never seen a Terrence Malick film.

7. North by Northwest - I've seen Rear Window, and I'm not really that into Hitchcock, but he's another director I feel like I need to see more of. Psycho - I've seen probably the first 20 minutes or so, and besides, I've got to (hopefully) redeem myself for North by Northwest.

8. The Player - I've never seen anything Altman, and after my boss at my internship said that it sometimes reminded him of his job, I've begun to feel like I should have seen it.

9. Infernal Affairs - I was interested in The Departed when it came out but never ended up seeing it, and I also feel like I need to see more Chinese film, or at least one that hasn't left me in tears at the end (Crouching Tiger did because it was beautiful, Farewell My Concubine did because it crushes your soul within the first 30 minutes and then keeps going).

10. Let the Right One In - I wanted to see this so bad when it came out, but never got the chance. Apocalypse Now - It's a classic, so of course I should see it, but I really got interested after I read that Coppola said that Aguirre, Wrath of God inspired him while making this.

sexual rickshaw
Jul 17, 2001

I AM A SOCIALIST COMMUNIST MARXIST FASCIST FREEDOM-HATING NAZI LIBERAL CZAR!
Vertigo Ambrosia, you get to watch Chinatown, as it's the only movie I can stand Jack Nicholson in.

My list:

1) Let the Right One In - I've heard so many good things about this, also the American version is coming out soon, so I figured I should watch the original before it comes out, but I'm lazy.

2) In the Mood for Love - I really have no excuse for this one - I had rented it from Netflix, but never got around to watching it, mainly because I wasn't in the mood for dramas at the time. I did eventually watch the "sequel" 2046, and was blown away by it, so it would only make sense to check out the other two films in the "trilogy".

3) Once Upon a Time in America - Sergio Leone + Jewish mobsters. Plus I do like Leone's directing style, but I'm concerned about the length, as I had a hard time keeping focus on Once Upon a Time in the West, despite really enjoying it.

4) Paris, TX - After hearing/reading about Wender's Until the End of the World, I wanted to check out one of his "road" movies, but as everything goes, I haven't gotten around to this because I'm lazy.

5) North By Northwest - Admittedly, I've only seen one Hitchcock film: Notorious. I want to fix that.

6) The Great Dictator - I saw the ending (and Chaplin's brilliant speech), want to see the rest.

7) Young Frankenstein - Saw Blazing Saddles for the first time last year (believe it or not), and yet, I haven't gotten around to watching other early Brooks film.

8) Ran - After managing to sit through the entirety of Criterion's second release of Seven Samurai (the three-disc version) and Yojimbo, Ran sounded interesting, as it looked a lot more epic than Seven Samurai (which I thought was brilliant, but it was small scale compared to what I've read about Ran).

9) Videodrome - Never seen any early Cronenburg, been too lazy to do anything about it unfortunately.

10) Tokyo Drifter - Saw Branded to Kill, thought it was weird enough to warrant viewings of Suzuki's other films, but one can probably guess why I haven't at this point.

So, someone help me fix my general apathy towards film viewing!

marioinblack
Sep 21, 2007

Number 1 Bullshit

sexual rickshaw posted:

7) Young Frankenstein - Saw Blazing Saddles for the first time last year (believe it or not), and yet, I haven't gotten around to watching other early Brooks film.
One of the all time great comedies.

I wish I were younger when I watched Back to the Future, but even now it is a fun movie. Really gives you a sense of wonder even now.

marioinblack posted:

1. Casablanca
Aliens
The Great Escape - I guess I'll use this to throw movies in more of an action type mold together. Although this movie may be loosely using the term, still don't know why I've never seen it.

2. Citizen Kane
To Kill a Mockingbird - I've seen a few bits but never the entire thing.

3. Rear Window - I haven't seen a Hitchcock movie in a long long time.

4. A Clockwork Orange
Dr. Strangelove - Might as well throw another Kubrick out there.

5. Goodfellas
Raging Bull - I'll have to put another Scorsese film on here since I enjoyed Goodfellas so much.

6. Godfather Part I
Godfather Part II
On the Waterfront - I guess I've thrown a Brando one out there already, might as well do another.

7. Wall-E
Ratatouille - To continue the Pixar spree.

8. Chinatown
One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest
The Shawshank Redemption
Schindler's List - Another film from the same period I don't know much about other than it's praise.

9. 12 Angry Men
Mr. Smith Goes to Washington - The only James Stewart movie I've seen is It's a Wonderful Life, which I regard highly.

10. Gone With the Wind
Do the Right Thing
Back to the Future
Saving Private Ryan - Don't know much about this movie other than Tom Hanks and World War II.

Kassoon
Nov 16, 2005

gonna hit you with his cockatrice

penismightier posted:

Kassoon, watch City of God. It's good.

It was indeed, thanks :).

I was quite worried at the end that Rocket would get killed, since movies like that just love to do that sort of thing, like The Wire, which the movie reminded me quite a bit of. Even Knockout Ned was a lot like Omar. I especially liked the part where Rocket flirts with crime wanting to stick people up, but keeps going against it because everyone is too cool. Many a fun night as a young delinquent started off with the intent to get up to no good and failing. Benny's death was broadcasted from a mile away though. A solid film and a breath of fresh air after the parade of terrible films I've watched the past year. I enjoyed it and that is all I was hoping for.

marioinblack posted:

One of the all time great comedies.

I wish I were younger when I watched Back to the Future, but even now it is a fun movie. Really gives you a sense of wonder even now.

drat, lots of good stuff to pick from. Ratatouille and Dr. Strangelove are lots of fun, but you just got done watching a fun movie, so you get Schindler's List.

Updated list:

Inception - Both a modern and on the top 250. I hear it's sort of like Memento? I don't know, I haven't read much on it. The last time modern and top 250 have aligned like this was with The Dark Knight, and I really enjoyed it.

Casablanca - I really think I won't enjoy it, but I won't deny one of you the schadenfreude of making me watch it.

City of God

Citizen Kane - Supposed to be Orson Welles' masterpiece, same deal as Casablanca.

Fantastic Mr. Fox - Apparently great, but released during a time I wasn't watching movies.

Saw - Apparently now a classic horror film, I never saw it because it just seemed like a vessel for gratuitous violence, but it's one of those films I keep seeing references to, so maybe it's good?

The Curious Case of Benjamin Button - Apparently great, just didn't go see it.

Little Shop of Horrors - My wife recommended this, but the last time she recommended a movie we watched Wet Hot American Summer because she watched it drunk in college once and thought it was great. It was not.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Because I get excited by spreadsheets, I compiled a list of uncompleted assignments.

LOST CAUSES (assigned in June)
pre:
Assignee		Film			Date Assigned
Fayez Butts		Schindler's List	06/01/10
Jay Dub			Blue Velvet		06/01/10
Kieselguhr Kid		Chinatown		06/01/10
Knoddus			Chungking Express	06/01/10
OneThousandMonkeys	Chinatown		06/01/10
Sporadic		The Seventh Seal	06/01/10
sursumdeorsum		The Godfather		06/01/10
the Bunt		Lawrence of Arabia	06/01/10
TheBigBudgetSequel	Night of the Hunter	06/01/10
Yoshifan823		Crimes and Misdemeanors	06/01/10
A Futbol Injustice	It Happened One Night	06/02/10
Beef Jerky Robot	Pulp Fiction		06/02/10
Original Name		Badlands		06/02/10
Psmith			North By Northwest	06/02/10
Hockles			2001: A Space Odyssey	06/03/10
InfiniteZero		Solaris			06/03/10
JohnnyDavidson		Rosemary's Baby		06/03/10
OregonDonor		Dog Day Afternoon	06/03/10
Robert_Deadford		Pan's Labyrinth		06/03/10
TonTon			It's a Wonderful Life	06/03/10
uncle jimbo		Eternal Sunshine of... 	06/03/10
Aces High		Alien			06/04/10
halokiller		Memento			06/04/10
Jeff Wiiver		The Godfather: Part II	06/04/10
Skeesix			The Matrix		06/04/10
Kyle Hyde		Network			06/05/10
TequilaJesus		Metropolis		06/06/10
iastudent		Hoosiers		06/07/10
Awcko			The Godfather		06/09/10
ThePineapple		Spirited Away		06/09/10
Bedevere		E.T.			06/10/10
cool kids inc.		Close Encounters of...	06/10/10
mid			2001: A Space Odyssey	06/11/10
Soundtrack To Mary	The Usual Suspects	06/13/10
Fiction D		Casablanca		06/14/10
elendilmir		Grosse Pointe Blank	06/15/10
Wilhelm Scream		Barry Lyndon		06/15/10
Delvaris		Blade Runner		06/16/10
LesterGroans		City of God		06/16/10
Demented Guy		Monty Python and the...	06/17/10
Jim Barris		Nosferatu		06/17/10
Mrens			Dr. Strangelove		06/17/10
Admiral Goodenough	An American Werewolf...	06/20/10
blakout			Vertigo			06/21/10
Clogproof Orifice	It's a Wonderful Life	06/21/10
SneakySneaks		Solaris			06/21/10
Doug			Alien			06/24/10
Eggnogium		Butch Cassidy and...	06/26/10
Twin Cinema		Wall-E			06/26/10
Cantskate43		Cool Hand Luke		06/27/10
Wolfgang Pauli		Jules and Jim		06/27/10
Arturo Ui		The Grapes of Wrath	06/28/10
Popelmon		Fanny and Alexander	06/28/10
SLOWPOKES (assigned in July)
pre:
FreudianSlippers	Let the Right One In	07/02/10
Criminal Minded		Streetcar Named Desire	07/04/10
Tewratomeh		Rosemary's Baby		07/04/10
Circusmacabre		Eraserhead		07/05/10
Neilpeartnoy		Network			07/09/10
SKEET SKEET		Mean Streets		07/09/10
codyclarke		The Godfather		07/10/10
Admin Understudy	The Seventh Seal	07/12/10
morestuff		The Bridge on the River	07/12/10
Mr. George Kaplan	To Kill a Mockingbird	07/12/10
Papercannon		Dog Day Afternoon	07/12/10
Fag Boy Jim		Bicycle Thieves		07/14/10
Mollsmolyneux		The Godfather		07/14/10
RussianGuyovich		Aliens			07/14/10
Waterhaul		Blade Runner		07/14/10
Skwirl			High and Low		07/15/10
ProfessorClumsy		Gone With the Wind	07/16/10
toro913			Written on the Wind	07/21/10
thegloaming		Berlin Alexanderplatz	07/23/10 (special assignment)
axleblaze		Sex, Lies and Videotape	07/26/10
JVO			The Squid and the Whale	07/26/10
meanmikhail		Time Bandits		07/26/10
Jolo			Jaws			07/27/10
Miles O'Brian		The Prestige		07/27/10
thegloaming		Stalker			07/28/10
Adhesion		Vertigo			07/29/10
rangi			Annie Hall		07/29/10
Tropicana		Cool Hand Luke		07/29/10
feedmyleg		Lawrence of Arabia	07/30/10
Diabolik900		The Trouble With Harry	07/31/10
Sheldrake		Woman in the Dunes	07/31/10
CURRENT ASSIGNMENTS (assigned in August)
pre:
TipsyMc			The Professional	08/01/10
York_M_Chan		Tombstone		08/02/10
dotCommunism		Apocalypse Now		08/03/10
caiman			The Bridge on the River 08/04/10
No Wave			It's a Wonderful Life	08/04/10
Zogo			Some Like It Hot	08/05/10
Kull the Conqueror	The Bridge on the River 08/07/10
Hell Diver		McCabe & Mrs. Miller	08/08/10
Hellbunny		Lock, Stock and Two...	08/08/10
KCChiefsDude		From Russia With Love	08/09/10
zandert33		The Searchers		08/09/10
Skutter			Rocky			08/10/10
Voodoofly		What Time Is It There?	08/10/10
VorpalBunny		City of God		08/10/10
Magic Hate Ball		The Color Purple	08/12/10
penismighter		M. Hulot's Holiday	08/12/10
Swartz			The Good, the Bad and..	08/12/10
FancyMike		Raging Bull		08/12/10
Bodnoirbabe		Rocky			08/13/10
CloseFriend		Apocalypse Now		08/13/10
krupa			Seven Samurai		08/13/10
Noxville		Barry Lyndon		08/13/10
The Machine		Sunset Blvd		08/13/10
Arkane			Elizabeth		08/15/10
bananasinpajamas	Seven Samurai		08/15/10
TannhauserGate		Eternal Sunshine of...	08/15/10
FitFortDanga		Insomnia		08/16/10
modestduty		Fear and Loathing in...	08/16/10
Nroo			Vertigo			08/16/10
von Braun		Yojimbo			08/16/10
Baktus			The Bridge on the River 08/17/10
mikewozere		Jackie Brown		08/17/10
Peaceful Anarchy	Dr. Mabuse: The Gambler	08/17/10
Red			A Clockwork Orange	08/17/10
sexual rickshaw		Young Frankenstein	08/17/10
tokillthesunflower	A Fistful of Dollars	08/17/10
Vertigo Ambrosia	Chinatown		08/17/10
marioinblack		Schindler's List	08/18/10
Some other stats...

Most assignments completed:
Peaceful Anarchy - 51 !!!
tokillthesunflower - 21
dotCommunism - 17
marioinblack - 15
Arkane - 15
Twin Cinema - 12
penismightier - 12
Magic Hate Ball - 12
Hellbunny - 11
CloseFriend - 11
mikewozere - 11

Most commonly assigned films:
Casablanca (10)
City of God (7)
12 Angry Men (7)
The Godfather, Part II (7)
The Godfather (6)
Dr. Strangelove (6)
It's a Wonderful Life (6)
Seven Samurai (6)
Lawrence of Arabia (6)

Number of the 6 Lawrence of Arabia assignments made by Peaceful Anarchy: 5

toro913
Aug 7, 2007
Kassoon watch Casablanca and you better like, or else.

Written on the Wind was good, but nothing special for me.
I also watched a lot of the ones on the list on my own.

Battle of Algiers
Anything by Guy Maddin, as a Canadian I should be ashamed

Any Satyajit Ray: just haven't taken the plunge

Metropolis
Battleship Potemkin: Haven't seen any early Russian films.

Evil Dead 2
Eyes Without a Face: I need more classic French thrillers in my life.

Once Upon a Time in America
Either of the Resnais headtrips: Last Year at Marienbad or Hiroshima mon Amour.

Written on the Wind
The Sound of Music: Had absolutely no intrest when I was younger.

1933 King Kong: I pretty much know the story already.

The Last Picture Show
Any Ozu or Mizoguchi other than Tokyo Story or Ugetsu.

Das Boot: I started watching it, had to stop and never returned.

Easy Rider
Bullitt: other than Steve McQueen and cars, no clue what it's about

toro913 fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Aug 18, 2010

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

FitFortDanga posted:

Because I get excited by spreadsheets, I compiled a list of uncompleted assignments.

morestuff The Bridge on the River 07/12/10

I had no idea I was this far behind. I'll wrap this up tonight.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

toro913 you get Last Year at Marienbad. Resnais is great.

Dr. Mabuse: The Gambler was a little long at 4 hours but most of it was a really thrilling crime film. Silent Lang seems to be much more consistent than sound Lang. I loved the expressionistic touches.

Updated list:

Ong-bak Is this any good? I've seen it mentioned a bunch of times. At least it fits into my attempt to see more martial arts films.

The Testament of Dr. Mabuse Let's what trouble he gets into with sound.

La hora de los hornos 9/10 , The Traveling Players 5/10 , Reds 9/10 , Werckmeister Harmonies 9/10 , Five Fingers of Death 8/10 , Dr. Mabuse: The Gambler 9/10

Bodnoirbabe
Apr 30, 2007

FitFortDanga posted:

Spreadsheet nerdery.

This is fantastic! Any way we could get it added to the OP with an update each month?

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

FitFortDanga posted:

Number of the 6 Lawrence of Arabia assignments made by Peaceful Anarchy: 5

I've also recommended Casablanca 4 times. If I see them my hands are tied, they have to be recommended.

I hope I can make it to 60 before the summer is out because after that things will slow down, but so far I'm really happy with what this thread has made me watch even if a couple have been duds.

VorpalBunny
May 1, 2009

Killer Rabbit of Caerbannog

FitFortDanga posted:

I am so excited I am not a Lost Cause or Slowpoke! Once I get my Netflix account back (I loaned it out for work reasons) then I can get on CITY OF GOD. I also recorded VERTIGO in HD off a cable channel this weekend, so I can knock two movies off my list. I might even try for BODY HEAT later this week on Netflix streaming. Woo! I'm going to try to get to double-digits before the end of the month.

And Peaceful Anarchy, I salute you!

:patriot:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sheldrake
Jul 19, 2006

~pettin in the park~

FitFortDanga posted:

Some days you frighten me. And I'm working on it, Peaceful Anarchy actually told me to watch the entire boxset so I'm doing it this weekend. :woof: