Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

Even Ron Simmons could magically appear from just off-camera every time. Is he in the wings, always waiting to say drat but surprising people (who can probably see him from their position) by jumping in from behind the camera? What is the storyline explanation for this?!?

Ron Simmons is the camera man.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manic_Misanthrope
Jul 1, 2010

Beef Jerky Robot posted:

Are Gavin Loudspeaker and Louden Noxious the same person? If so, why the name change?

On an episode of the Chikara podcast, the power went out so Dasher Hatfield and Louden Noxious had to go find the fuse box. However, Dasher messed up and they both got electrocuted causing Dasher to have memory card problems and Louden to turn into Gavin Loudspeaker.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Chop Licker posted:

shut up fags
Thank you for your valuable input on this topic.

Lone Rogue posted:

WCW was the company that acted like it was a real sport. Hence why guys would play to the camera in WCW and recognize it was there.
I didn't really realize it until you said this, but I came up on WCW so that's probably why it bothers me so much and why I want my fake wrestling to pretend it's real. If you'll notice, the time WCW's fans finally abandoned them was when they started booking like the WWF and having wrestlers ignore the camera and such-all. That's most certainly not the only reason but it's big'n.

Thanks for pointing that out.

Also, I started a thread about this once since it seems such a common derail but it didn't last more than two pages much like every other thread I've ever started. If anybody thinks this topic warrants discussion, I wouldn't mind a thread. Otherwise we should probably just do what OneThousandMonkeys and I did last time and just admit that we're all set on our opinions and let the topic go. We'll never convince one-another. I'm sorry I even started arguing again.

Tyma
Dec 22, 2004

I love Leinster and I couldn't be happier that Jordie Barrett has signed with them on a short term deal.

LividLiquid posted:

We'll never convince one-another. I'm sorry I even started arguing again.

And we'll all be happy wrestling friends again!

What was the deal with Vader's last WWF promo, where he called himself a fat piece of poo poo, and just walked off, leaving forever? Was WWF trying to kill the Vader character's heat, before he took the gimmick and just popped up somewhere else?

Manwithastick
Jul 26, 2010

Why had Kaiju slowed down as much as it has, theres only been 2 shows this year and the site is never really updated

Manwithastick fucked around with this message at 13:20 on Aug 18, 2010

WeaselWeaz
Apr 11, 2004

Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Biscuits and Gravy.

Tyma posted:

And we'll all be happy wrestling friends again!

What was the deal with Vader's last WWF promo, where he called himself a fat piece of poo poo, and just walked off, leaving forever? Was WWF trying to kill the Vader character's heat, before he took the gimmick and just popped up somewhere else?

Pretty much. They had started burying Vader by that point.

SamuraiFoochs posted:

Larry Sweeney had some kind of mental illness issues and that's why he disappeared for a while, right? Or did I just dream that?

More specific answer, he's bi-polar and he went off his meds. People were very, very concerned for his well-being.

ZoDiAC_
Jun 23, 2003

What was up with that episode of Raw where HBK (and possibly HHH too, maybe a DX angle?) were stalking Coach backstage? I remember it was borderline psychedelic, it had lots of weird lighting and music and was hilarious. Think it was from 2007.

I'd love a video of this but "HBK Coach backstage" on Youtube doesn't turn anything up.

Does anyone know what the hell I'm talking about?

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Fallon posted:

What was up with that episode of Raw where HBK (and possibly HHH too, maybe a DX angle?) were stalking Coach backstage? I remember it was borderline psychedelic, it had lots of weird lighting and music and was hilarious. Think it was from 2007.

I'd love a video of this but "HBK Coach backstage" on Youtube doesn't turn anything up.

Does anyone know what the hell I'm talking about?

It was towards the beginning of the '06 DX Reunion Tour (tm)

Y'know, the one that was actually a markout moment for a week or two and then became awful

DEAR RICHARD
Feb 5, 2009

IT'S TIME FOR MY TOOLS
What is the real story behind Randy Orton's motorcycle crash? I'm under the impression that the whole thing is bullshit, but I've been wrong before.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

I've been having problems tracking this match down online, so any goon assistance would be appreciated.

Several years back (I'd like to think it was 04-05ish), Flair and Shawn had a match on a Raw taped in Japan. The thing I remember most about that match was that the entire crowd was clapping along in time to HBK's music, which was :3: as hell.

Anybody know where I can find that match online?

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

anakha posted:

I've been having problems tracking this match down online, so any goon assistance would be appreciated.

Several years back (I'd like to think it was 04-05ish), Flair and Shawn had a match on a Raw taped in Japan. The thing I remember most about that match was that the entire crowd was clapping along in time to HBK's music, which was :3: as hell.

Anybody know where I can find that match online?

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x9daxd_raw-2005-shawn-michaels-vs-ric-flai_sport

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

What was up with the referee holding the ropes open for Flair? Some kind of respect thing?

Also - Japanese fans are awesome.

HulkaMatt
Feb 14, 2006

BIG BICEPS SHOHEI

I heard the SmackDown! Pop a few times in that.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Deathlove posted:

Fill in the blank memories:

NWA, late 80s. Kevin Sullivan and the Varsity Club drag someone down the aisle using a coat hanger? in any case, dragging them using something around their neck. Someone comes to save the dragged, via full-ring slide; I'd've bet money the saver was Sting, but google and youtube turn up nothing based on what I'm searching for.

Million Internetbucks if you can come up with a video of it, as well.

Kevin Sullivan used the coat hanger a lot. The last time it was used as a major plot point was the Varsity Club's feud with "Gorgeous" Jimmy Garvin. Like A Dapper Man mentioned, Precious at one point got ahold of it and used it against Sullivan.

The Croc
Dec 19, 2004

A-well-a everybody's heard about the bird!

OH YEAH!

The A-Team Van posted:

What is the real story behind Randy Orton's motorcycle crash? I'm under the impression that the whole thing is bullshit, but I've been wrong before.

Never been out and out confirmed but the rumour was and still is that he got a welleness violation. This was before they named who got strikes.

DEAR RICHARD
Feb 5, 2009

IT'S TIME FOR MY TOOLS

The Croc posted:

Never been out and out confirmed but the rumour was and still is that he got a welleness violation. This was before they named who got strikes.

IIRC it was said to have happened when he was already out with an injury/suspended.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Sweet. Thanks!

That round of applause for the Flair Flop :3:

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...
Opinion question: Has Evan Bourne always been this good or did he actually improve since coming to WWE?

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

I think he's a lot crisper now than he ever was in ROH but he was never like, bad or anything.

Lazy like a Fox
Jul 8, 2003

EKO SMASH!

Kerck Pnameless posted:

Opinion question: Has Evan Bourne always been this good or did he actually improve since coming to WWE?

He was pretty good in ROH- One of the Death Before Dishoner DVDs (either 5 or 6) has a crazy awesome street fight with him in it where he does an SSP off of the top of a set of bleachers. But he's definitely gotten more comfortable working "the WWE style" (whatever that means).

warbrides
May 11, 2009

was it actually austin who took the hit and run bump at survivor series? i was a fully blown mark back then and genuinely thought he was legit hurt BECAUSE of the crash, not that he was taking time off for his neck or whatever.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

warbrides posted:

was it actually austin who took the hit and run bump at survivor series? i was a fully blown mark back then and genuinely thought he was legit hurt BECAUSE of the crash, not that he was taking time off for his neck or whatever.

Pretty sure his neck was totally hosed then, so would have been a stunt guy by necessity.

Rusty Shackelford
Feb 7, 2005

warbrides posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eNVATMCw60Y Stunt man.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Lazy like a Fox posted:

He was pretty good in ROH- One of the Death Before Dishoner DVDs (either 5 or 6) has a crazy awesome street fight with him in it where he does an SSP off of the top of a set of bleachers. But he's definitely gotten more comfortable working "the WWE style" (whatever that means).

That was actually Matt Cross. Sydal did some nutty stuff but his highlight was that he worked the street fight in I believe a polo shirt.

I do think he's gotten a bit better in WWE, or just stands out more than he did on the indies where lots of people do insane high flying on a regular basis.

Jay 2K Winger
Oct 10, 2007

What are you looking for?

MassRayPer posted:

That was actually Matt Cross. Sydal did some nutty stuff but his highlight was that he worked the street fight in I believe a polo shirt.

Pretty much this. I was there live for that match. Sydal and Cross fought up onto the bleachers, Sydal got knocked off, and Cross kicked off the wall before doing a flipping senton onto him.

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

No retro Raw/Nitro tonight?

Eleanor Pwnsevelt
Dec 25, 2003

I don't know where to post this but I just got off the phone with Paul London about an hour ago. I messaged him my # a while back and wasn't really expecting him to call but we talked for a good 5-10 minutes. I honestly just got smacked in the side of the head with a mallet no less than 15 minutes before he called so I was a little disoriented at the time (and I still am). He's a real nice guy though. Didn't talk about anything in particular, I asked him about Orlando Jordan since I originally messaged him about it. London said he has nothing against gay people or whatever but that he was a creepy dude- I believe him. I wish I would've had a little more concentration at the time. Anyway, you'll probably hear me onthebearskinrug soon- probably sounding like a huge jack rear end.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
My wrestling question is why did you get hit in the head with a mallet?

Are you a looney toons?

Eleanor Pwnsevelt
Dec 25, 2003

I was playing hardcourt bike polo tonight. Some noob swung their mallet wildly and it came around and struck me in the temple on the other side of my head. I was driving home and looking for my phone when Paul London called. The rest is history.

I meant to ask him about concussions actually.

Sotar
Dec 1, 2009
Does anyone know what podcast the audio from the Botchamania title sequence where someone screams MINUS FIVE STARS is from?

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Sotar posted:

Does anyone know what podcast the audio from the Botchamania title sequence where someone screams MINUS FIVE STARS is from?

It is from Bryan Alvarez's review of Victory Road 09 on Wrestling Observer Radio right after the PPV.

Carbon Tiger
Nov 4, 2008

MassRayPer posted:

It is from Bryan Alvarez's review of Victory Road 09 on Wrestling Observer Radio right after the PPV.

I have to break down and subscribe to WOR one of these days because call me an idiot but I love not only the news aspects but when Alvarez totally flips his poo poo.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Carbon Tiger posted:

I have to break down and subscribe to WOR one of these days because call me an idiot but I love not only the news aspects but when Alvarez totally flips his poo poo.

I subscribed 3 years ago basically to just hear him flip his poo poo. Then I got the Observer on top of that and it was gravy.

WHICH WAY MADNESS
Apr 28, 2009

You recall this living nightmare, you take comfort in its familiar pain. You smell fermentation and can hear a dull, unending beeping. Someone shouts in a language you do not know.
You love your family. YOU. LOVE. THEM.
Welcome to Red Lobster. Come see what's fresh. Today.
What in the hell?

Rusty Shackelford
Feb 7, 2005

Shitty_Wok posted:

What in the hell?

Where to begin?

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Shitty_Wok posted:

What in the hell?

It's just one of those things that maybe was meant to be something bigger but fell through at the last moment, or just another dumb idea. It's considered one of the worst moments in WWF history. Also that article is not very encyclopedic!

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

It's just one of those things that maybe was meant to be something bigger but fell through at the last moment, or just another dumb idea. It's considered one of the worst moments in WWF history. Also that article is not very encyclopedic!

It is, however, very wikipedic.

Hank Morgan
Jun 17, 2007

Light Along the Inverse Curve.
The Gooker happened around the time that Undertaker debuted and a lot a people thought that he would be the one getting the egg man gimmick rather then the dead man gimmick.

Ziggy Tzardust
Apr 7, 2006

Mr. Carlisle posted:

No retro Raw/Nitro tonight?

Oh crap. Forgot to mention. I have to be up early on thursdays for the next month or so. I'm afraid this means that retro-night will have to go on a brief hiatus. Sorry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

Ziggy Tsardust posted:

Oh crap. Forgot to mention. I have to be up early on thursdays for the next month or so. I'm afraid this means that retro-night will have to go on a brief hiatus. Sorry.

Not a problem - I look forward to it's return and thanks for going through the trouble of sorting through and uploading them for us to laugh at.