Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
I always got a kick out of walking up 85 degree inclines on mountains. Terrain did not affect your speed on foot or in a vehicle at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AcridWhistle
Aug 20, 2003

Feasting on the flesh of a recently killed zombie probably wasn't the smartest of moves
They ever fix the NPC naming? I only played maybe for 4 months when it first came out.

Click here for the full 1024x768 image.

Sadly most of my screenshots are completely confusing (way way too many characters on screen), humping things, or sitting in odd areas (enemy spawns, inside bushes, levitating 50 meters in the air, etc)

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
I love how they only had one dying animation rigged for all humanoids.

Shoot some dude, watch as they jump backwards awkwardly into the air, then he flops onto ground.

Mister_Eel
Jun 29, 2007

AcridWhistle posted:

They ever fix the NPC naming? I only played maybe for 4 months when it first came out.

Click here for the full 1024x768 image.

Sadly most of my screenshots are completely confusing (way way too many characters on screen), humping things, or sitting in odd areas (enemy spawns, inside bushes, levitating 50 meters in the air, etc)

I would LOVE to see some shots of bugs and stuff. I remember in the old thread somone posted shots of 100 foot tall people and another one outside a cantina where there was like 50 vehicles with no one on them because there was a bug that didnt remove the vehicle once someone dismounted. Any other shots you just think are cool would be nice to see too.

Throb Robinson
Feb 8, 2010

He would enjoy administering the single antidote to Leia. He would enjoy it very much indeed..
When I get home from work I'll dig up a few. I know I have this great shot of a woman running around without a face just two big eyeballs.

As for the 100 foot tall guys SWG had the best DMs who would run around spawning level 500 Vaders to kill everyone or making people stupidly huge.

Throb Robinson
Feb 8, 2010

He would enjoy administering the single antidote to Leia. He would enjoy it very much indeed..
Spergy question of my own.

Is there some horrible In universe answer as to why Han doesn't know what a Jedi is in a New Hope now?

I understand that originally when there were only 2 Jedi left about it sorta made sense and you got the feeling what Happened to the Jedi happened alot longer then 18 years ago. But now that the prequels came out and made Jedi all over the space TV and a major part of everything it just makes Han look like a Space redneck who revels in ignorance.

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

I thought he knew what Jedi were, just didn't believe in the Force.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Throb Robinson posted:

Is there some horrible In universe answer as to why Han doesn't know what a Jedi is in a New Hope now?

I understand that originally when there were only 2 Jedi left about it sorta made sense and you got the feeling what Happened to the Jedi happened alot longer then 18 years ago. But now that the prequels came out and made Jedi all over the space TV and a major part of everything it just makes Han look like a Space redneck who revels in ignorance.

Han would have been what, 4 or 5 when the Old Republic fell? Given how easily Order 66 poo poo-canned the Jedi order and how quickly the Empire closed and destroyed their teaching information, I don't think it'd be difficult to convince people from less educated backgrounds that the Force was never real.

Han probably attended the minimum amount of schooling, barely paid attention, and his teachers belonged in the "the worst teachers you ever had" thread. Besides, there's only one Jedi left you could reasonably expect to run into, and when he shows up somebody is gonna die.

Slantedfloors
Apr 29, 2008

Wait, What?

Throb Robinson posted:

During the Purge, Quinlan Vos erased his memory of the Jedi and their abilities, as well as his belief in the Force.

I am so so sorry you had to find that out.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

While I never did it myself, it's funny how in SWG it was possible to play as a "female" and take massive advantage of people more so than in any other game. "Female" dancers made a loving killing if they played it right.

I did this. Playing a Twi'lek female dancer got me:

- Tipped 10,000 credits (back when that meant something)
- Given a full set of one of the best armors in the game
- Got given a free "skimpy outfit" costume that would go on to get me many more credits

God, Star Wars nerds are lonely and horny. I only felt a little ashamed.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Read the Bria sub section forum archived on the internet and don't be. Since Throb will be sharing when gets around to it here are some SWG screenshots of mine own.

I don't actually regret not cutting the UI out because I sort of miss it :(.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/33393854@N03/

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

T-1000 posted:

Wouldn't the reason you use ray guns instead of bullet guns be the fact that bullets punch holes in your body, injure your internal organs and cause blood loss, while ray guns disintegrate you? I just assumed armour and shielding on spaceships and stormtroopers rendered conventional weapons ineffective.

This makes sense, until you remember Stormtrooper armor couldn't even render rocks ineffective.

Throb Robinson posted:

It's not that Han doesn't know about Jedi. His issue is with the Force itself. Keep in mind, just because you've seen or heard about Jedi that move things with their minds, doesn't mean they have access to an all powerful life force that is the cause of all things in the universe. Think of the X-Men. These guys have mutations that let them have awesome powers. Can the people in their universe see that their powers exist? Sure. Do all those people assume that the mutants are Gods that understand the meaning of the universe? Of course not, they just have cool powers.

You can believe that Jedi have powers beyond what normal people have, but you don't have to believe that the Jedi are right in their philosophy of where these powers come from. They could just have won the genetic lottery and be able to move things with their minds. It's like if someone honestly believes David Copperfield can fly. They're not sure how he does it, but they've seen it so it must be true. That doesn't necessarily mean they're going to start listening to him about his views on religion. (hopefully)

Han may have seen Jedi use their powers, or heard about it from other people, but what he has issue with is that the Force is something that controls everything in the universe. That makes perfect sense to me. Same goes for the Imperial officer that talks back to Vader in that Death Star meeting room. Sure, he knows that Jedi (and Sith) have powers, but he's belittling those powers because they didn't stop the Jedi from being wiped out, and he feels that Vader being able to choke a guy from across the room means nothing when he can now blow up a planet. Neither he nor Han say, "You don't have powers beyond normal beings", they both just minimize the importance of the Force.

thrawn527 fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Aug 19, 2010

Slantedfloors
Apr 29, 2008

Wait, What?

thrawn527 posted:

Reasonable Idea for Han's disbelief in the Force
No, seriously. Quinlan Vos erased his memories of seeing Jedi use the Force. He literally couldn't remember or understand the idea of the Force until he started hanging around Luke.

It sounds retarded, but...you know. Star Wars.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Yeah well, Quinlan Voss is a girls name. In your face stupid fictional Clone Wars spawned character!

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Slantedfloors posted:

No, seriously. Quinlan Vos erased his memories of seeing Jedi use the Force. He literally couldn't remember or understand the idea of the Force until he started hanging around Luke.

It sounds retarded, but...you know. Star Wars.

Wait, I thought you were kidding about that. The Wookieepdia article on Quinlan Vos just mentions a couple of encounters with a young Han, but doesn't say anything about erasing memories. Where does this come from?

If that's actually true, it's going to be filed away in my "didn't actually happen" folder in my P-canon.

Slantedfloors
Apr 29, 2008

Wait, What?

thrawn527 posted:

Wait, I thought you were kidding about that. The Wookieepdia article on Quinlan Vos just mentions a couple of encounters with a young Han, but doesn't say anything about erasing memories. Where does this come from?

It's from one of the comics. I forget the reason why he did it; either so he couldn't be interrogated about where Vos went or to keep him from being disappointed that Vos was leaving and he'd never be a Jedi.

It was absolutely retarded and I feel dumber for having read it.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Speaking of comics, what is the series where Vader hunts down these annoying Clone Wars Jedi while being an Enforcer for the Empire keeping rogue Imperial General and Revolutionaries in line while handing whatever crazy Sith training P-Spiffy threw at him?

Slantedfloors
Apr 29, 2008

Wait, What?

SeanBeansShako posted:

Speaking of comics, what is the series where Vader hunts down these annoying Clone Wars Jedi while being an Enforcer for the Empire keeping rogue Imperial General and Revolutionaries in line while handing whatever crazy Sith training P-Spiffy threw at him?
It's Purge. Also known as "That Awesome One Where Vader Slaughters a Dozen Jedi in a Minute and a Half".

It sounds like you're mixing it up with the first Arc of Empire, though. Where Vader wipes out an "Anti-Sith Coup" that wants to keep the Empire but get rid of Palps/Vader.

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

thrawn527 posted:

If that's actually true, it's going to be filed away in my "didn't actually happen" folder in my P-canon.

If you read the article for the comic it was in (Ghost, I think) it says this is not canon anyway so we're safe this time.

Slantedfloors
Apr 29, 2008

Wait, What?

Nemesis Of Moles posted:

If you read the article for the comic it was in (Ghost, I think) it says this is not canon anyway so we're safe this time.
YOU'VE HEARD IT! YOU CAN'T UN-HEAR IT!

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

I don't see why Han would even believe in the superpowers. For all he knows it could just be republic propaganda and fairy tales. He does think that blocking lasers without even being able to see them is fairly ridiculous after all.

TannhauserGate
Nov 25, 2007

by garbage day

BonHair posted:

I don't see why Han would even believe in the superpowers. For all he knows it could just be republic propaganda and fairy tales. He does think that blocking lasers without even being able to see them is fairly ridiculous after all.

If you would rather believe that Han seriously did not know about Jedi and thought it was a bunch of mystic bull just like he said, then sorry, you probably want to stick to the original trilogy.

If you feel it's better if there's some extremely complicated backstory behind that seemingly simple remark that involves complex plots that interconnect this character with other major characters, especially ones that only appear outside the movies, congratulations! You're going to love the EU.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Slantedfloors posted:

It's Purge. Also known as "That Awesome One Where Vader Slaughters a Dozen Jedi in a Minute and a Half".

It sounds like you're mixing it up with the first Arc of Empire, though. Where Vader wipes out an "Anti-Sith Coup" that wants to keep the Empire but get rid of Palps/Vader.

Both sound like the Star Wars I want to read in comics and now are on to be purchased list.

As soon as I finish getting the rest of The Goon.

Slantedfloors
Apr 29, 2008

Wait, What?

SeanBeansShako posted:

Both sound like the Star Wars I want to read in comics and now are on to be purchased list.

I'm not aware of how the TPB are collected, but make sure the Empire one has "To The Last Man".

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Slantedfloors posted:

I'm not aware of how the TPB are collected, but make sure the Empire one has "To The Last Man".

I'll be sure to get it as Empire is one of my favourites. At least most of the comics stay true to the spirit of the thing compared to the books.

Also Ricky, when your done with Death Troopers will you be doing this terrible smashed together storyline comics of FUTURE STAR WARS with (ugh) Cade Skywalker?

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo

SeanBeansShako posted:

FUTURE STAR WARS with (ugh) Cade Skywalker?

Back off. Legacy is awesome. :colbert:

It has a protagonist who's like "gently caress you!" to everyone; the Sith, the Jedi, the Alliance, the Empire, Luke's Force ghost. Because Cade is sick of dealing with the burden of being a Skywalker, I like to think of the character as a disillusioned Star Wars fan who's sick of Star Wars, but no matter how hard he tries, it won't go away.

Also, he's an addict overcoming his dependence on death sticks. (Better than it sounds...)

Echo Chamber fucked around with this message at 02:11 on Aug 20, 2010

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

It was good for the first few comics, but it squandered what promise it had. Plus it pretty much solidfied Jagged Fel staying Emperor.

It could have been much better man. The first two or three comics can be left alone but the rest is fair game.

Also, if you have Battlefield 2142 kicking around and can be bothered First Strike has a major content release on the 28th of the month.

Slantedfloors
Apr 29, 2008

Wait, What?

Echo Chamber posted:

The main Cade plot is pretty godawful, but the issues that deal with the Galactic Alliance Remnant and Fel Empire are pretty cool.

Gar Stazi is basically a Thrawn that it's okay to root for.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

They don't suck, but they could have been so much better and there were some pretty silly ideas in it.

Sort of like Dark Empire. Not Dark Empire II don't worry.

Bene Elim
Feb 9, 2010

The beast from Crete that can't be beat!

Slantedfloors posted:

Yet again I am reminded why the only bit of EU literature I have read is the Phantom Menace novelization (I thought it was pretty good). I thought the Yuuzan-Vong sounded pretty retarded, I thought Krayt sounded unspeakably daft, but this is beyond everything.
gently caress you, Lucas.

Throb Robinson
Feb 8, 2010

Darth Krayt maybe the worst villian concept Ive ever heard of. That being said SWG Bug time.

First off when they tossed new Ships in the game they came into the game horrible textured. The first fix for that turned the insides of the ships into Easter egg creamscicles.

Sometimes I would walk clear out of game and thru the walls of buildings.

Sometimes DM's would wander by and make things huge for no reason at all.

Having particle objects in space will turn your screen into a rave.

And if you load up swg never ever ever Log out in Space or you get stuck there til SWG's super slow customer service comes and removes you.

That being said I have a bunch of Shots I think are OT Star Warsy as poo poo but I don't want to throw them up unless people are interested. Here are a few teaser screens.

"Stay on Target!"

Slantedfloors
Apr 29, 2008

Wait, What?

Throb Robinson posted:

And if you load up swg never ever ever Log out in Space or you get stuck there til SWG's super slow customer service comes and removes you.

Didn't SOE fling hundreds of players into space one time for questioning them?

Throb Robinson
Feb 8, 2010

Slantedfloors posted:

Didn't SOE fling hundreds of players into space one time for questioning them?

Not sure but I remember once that SOE once ported any reported credit farmers into the Nightsister instance.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

BonHair posted:

I agree. It's like if one of us were to encounter a ninja. Sure, they can do some impressive fighting tricks, but we'd probably still be a little skeptical if they started talking about their Qi and the Tao and all that jazz.

Another point: Compared to the size of the galaxy, there weren't all that many Jedi to start with. So meeting one (let alone seeing them do something impressive) would be pretty rare. In Episode I, Nute Gunray says he's never encountered one, and he's a fairly important fellow. For a nobody like Han, it's entirely possible that not only had he never seen a Jedi, but he'd never even met anyone who had.

Even during the war, not many people would have run across Jedi doing their thing. In the prequels it sure looked like Clones vs. Droids. Neither one would be telling many tales, and I didn't see many regular Joes who enlisted to fight for their chosen side.

Dave Syndrome
Jan 11, 2007
Look, Bernard. Bernard, look. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Bernard! Bernard. Bernard. Look, Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard! Look! Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Look, Bernard! Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Bern

Echo Chamber posted:

I'm reading it at the moment, and while it's pretty good, some of the Sith names are just ridiculous. "Darth Krayt" I can live with, especially since he turns out to be a sort-of-Tusken from Tatooine, but Darths Maladi, Kruhl, Maleval, Havok, Rauder, Reave, Stryfe, and Ruyn?
I know they're among the lines of similarly crappy names like Plagueis and Nihilus, but it's literally like watching fifteen-year-olds arguing about what to name their first garage Death Metal band.

Where are Darth Baddthyngz, Darth Spottofbotha and Darth Slite'Inkonvenyenz?

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Throb Robinson posted:

I'm pretty sure if it ever does come to light the show will be more like BSG. A "Dark Edgy" Star Wars for adults. That would blow big time. If anything it should be a adventure serial like SG-1. Nothing ever too heavy.

I know that a few years ago some LFL person said that they had hired writers from BSG, Lost, and Heroes to work on the scripts for the show. Speaking of Doctor Who I know Russel T. Davies also said that he was approached by Lucasfilm to write for the show but turned them down because he could never imagine working on sci-fi again after the utter pinnacle of the genre that was his run on Doctor Who (thank god). That being said from the tone of recent Star Wars products as well as Lucas' comments early on that the show would concentrate on bounty hunters and fighter pilots (and the fact that Rome is apparently his favorite TV show), I definitely see them as using BSG as a pattern for the live-action show.

Personally I've always seen Farscape as the ideal model for what a Star Wars show should be like. Ragtag band of multi-species rebels, militaristic human government as the enemy, use of puppets over CGI for aliens, compelling stories that had lots of drama and action while still retaining jokes and lightheartedness - Farscape always seemed a lot more Star Warsy to me than the Star Wars prequels themselves.

tribbledirigible
Jul 27, 2004
I finally beat the internet. The end boss was hard.

Dave Syndrome posted:

I'm reading it at the moment, and while it's pretty good, some of the Sith names are just ridiculous. "Darth Krayt" I can live with, especially since he turns out to be a sort-of-Tusken from Tatooine, but Darths Maladi, Kruhl, Maleval, Havok, Rauder, Reave, Stryfe, and Ruyn?
I know they're among the lines of similarly crappy names like Plagueis and Nihilus, but it's literally like watching fifteen-year-olds arguing about what to name their first garage Death Metal band.

Where are Darth Baddthyngz, Darth Spottofbotha and Darth Slite'Inkonvenyenz?

To continue: Darth Stroyer, Darth Trocious, Darth Sploder, Darth Urderer, and Darth Ithead.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

I'm still waiting for Darth Zeppelin.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Slantedfloors posted:

Gar Stazi is basically a Thrawn that it's okay to root for.

:confused:

Are you saying I shouldn't be rooting for Thrawn?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

SeanBeansShako posted:

I'm still waiting for Darth Zeppelin.

ssshhhhrrrruuuuggg