Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MoFauxHawk
Jan 1, 2007

Mickey Mouse copyright
Walt Gisnep
This guy worked at my dad's labor firm. That's the firm he's talking about. I even mentioned something to #lawgoons once or twice about there being a "fashionable Asian guy" working at my dad's office. I swear my dad's firm is more enjoyable than biglaw, despite what he says! Sure makes you not want to be a lawyer, huh?

Edit: Wow, go to his website, his stuff is good.

MoFauxHawk fucked around with this message at 05:18 on Aug 19, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

in absentia
Mar 20, 2006
So I worked for the government this past summer, and am now waiting for a round of pointless interviews before the budget decides if I get a permanent job. Should I stick with Jameson for the next few months or is there a better nightly whiskey regimen for this situation?

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

in absentia posted:

So I worked for the government this past summer, and am now waiting for a round of pointless interviews before the budget decides if I get a permanent job. Should I stick with Jameson for the next few months or is there a better nightly whiskey regimen for this situation?

Yes, a much cheaper one. I recommend Banker's Club.

in absentia
Mar 20, 2006

JudicialRestraints posted:

They think that it will give me a 'better life than they had.'

I disagree.

E: My mom talked to her boss (a lawyer) about the job market. His advice was "do 3L OCI it worked for me." I'm thinking of drinking a Svedka/Draino cocktail

My hippie parents wanted to know "where they went wrong."

Also, JR, if my tales of how our 3L OCI looks have taught you anything, it's that you'll want to just go straight Liquid Plumber.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

in absentia posted:

If it isn't scottish, its crap.

in absentia
Mar 20, 2006

evilweasel posted:

Yes, a much cheaper one. I recommend Banker's Club.

Probably a wise choice. I'm thinking I should only drink whiskeys that come in a plastic bottle until I have an offer letter (i.e., never).

Mookie
Mar 22, 2005

I have to return some videotapes.

nm posted:

If it isn't scottish, its crap.

This and this and also this want to gently lull you into a drunken stupor.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

in absentia posted:

Probably a wise choice. I'm thinking I should only drink whiskeys that come in a plastic bottle until I have an offer letter (i.e., never).

The great thing about Banker's Club is that when the mood strikes you, you can have a different flavor of their fine selection of artifically flavored grain alchohol. Not in the mood for whisky? What about a burbon that looks and tastes the same? What about a gin that's actually just vodka that pine needles soaked in? Vodka with sugar, better known as "rum"? If you're looking for any of those, or even just your standard rubbing alcohol labeled as vodka, Banker's Club has got you covered.

billion dollar bitch
Jul 20, 2005

To drink and fight.
To fuck all night.
redacted out of the desire to conceal my depression. oops.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

in absentia posted:

Evan Williams was my go-to before I got too broke for even that. Then it was cheap vodka. Now it's nothing, which isn't really a financial thing I guess though the money saved is kind of nice. I'm trying to go back to the days when drinking was something you did for fun in the company of friends rather than something you do alone in your room until you fall asleep

this is the addiction megathread right? sometimes i get my bookmarks mixed up

Ainsley McTree fucked around with this message at 08:15 on Aug 19, 2010

Solomon Grundy
Feb 10, 2007

Born on a Monday

Mookie posted:

This and this and also this want to gently lull you into a drunken stupor.

Way, way too expensive for the unemployed.

Kid, stick to the staples in these tough times. Tullamore Dew and The Big Fellow (Michael Collins) will see you through the tough times.

Defleshed
Nov 18, 2004

F is for... FREEDOM
I used to like Maker's Mark, but I've been told by the few people left who care about me that it makes me mean so I switched to basically any dark rum I can find but it's not whisking me away to an island paradise as promised...

Neon Belly
Feb 12, 2008

I need something stronger.

I didn't mean to stab him. The Maker's Mark. It makes me mean.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
My doctor told me if I keep drinking the way I do I will 100% get cirrhosis by the age of 40 and be dead by 45. So now I only have beer and wine during the week and liquor only on weekends or at special events or when I can sneak it while my wife is in the bathroom. Oh and I open a secret tab at restaurants so the waiter can give me "sparkling water with lime" and I don't have to hear about it.

Neon Belly
Feb 12, 2008

I need something stronger.

Secret to covert drinking: actually order quinine water for a few months. Then start adding vodka/gin/tequila.

lipstick thespian
Sep 20, 2005

by Ozmaugh

Phil Moscowitz posted:

My doctor told me if I keep drinking the way I do I will 100% get cirrhosis by the age of 40 and be dead by 45. So now I only have beer and wine during the week and liquor only on weekends or at special events or when I can sneak it while my wife is in the bathroom. Oh and I open a secret tab at restaurants so the waiter can give me "sparkling water with lime" and I don't have to hear about it.

This is what thinking like a lawyer really means.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Defleshed
Nov 18, 2004

F is for... FREEDOM
I think we should take all the drinking quotes where we're being "funny and ironic" and add them to the OP

Also, what the gently caress is this forum cancer thing

e: VVVV gently caress that. LF is a wasteland of bad/boring posting and pseudo-intellectual circle-jerking. D&D is alright but LF is about as related to that as YCS is to Games.

Defleshed fucked around with this message at 16:19 on Aug 19, 2010

Lykourgos
Feb 17, 2010

by T. Finn
I drank a bottle of miller light last night, so sorry you lot but I win the game of losing.

On the other hand, I only drink in the company of friends and family, and don't drink it constantly in crippling amounts. I'm going to have the world to myself when you're all gone; imagine the possibilities.

Defleshed posted:

post in lf and find out

billion dollar bitch
Jul 20, 2005

To drink and fight.
To fuck all night.
Last night was a Hoptical Illusion, a glass of Hendrick's, and a rejection from MoFo.

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.

MoFauxHawk posted:

This guy worked at my dad's labor firm. That's the firm he's talking about. I even mentioned something to #lawgoons once or twice about there being a "fashionable Asian guy" working at my dad's office. I swear my dad's firm is more enjoyable than biglaw, despite what he says! Sure makes you not want to be a lawyer, huh?

Edit: Wow, go to his website, his stuff is good.

If you haven't noticed before, you will meet many people in law school with talents that make you want to shake them and ask why the hell they're in law school.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

TyChan posted:

If you haven't noticed before, you will meet many people in law school with talents that make you want to shake them and ask why the hell they're in law school.

I've met so many formerly interesting people who only want to talk about the law now.

I refuse to talk shop with drat near everyone.

Elotana
Dec 12, 2003

and i'm putting it all on the goddamn expense account
One of my LSAT students has like four black belts and owns an MMA gym. All I can do is shake my head.

Elotana fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Aug 19, 2010

zzyzx
Mar 2, 2004

Defleshed posted:

If you're on Firefox, a guy in the comments forum posted this, which can be added to <profile>\chrome\userContent.css to get rid of the opacity effect. Seems to do the trick.

code:
@-moz-document url-prefix(http://forums.somethingawful.com) {
 td.postbody .cancerous { opacity: 1 !important; }
}

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

For who knows what is good for a person in life, during the few and meaningless days they pass through like a shadow? Who can tell them what will happen under the sun after they are gone?

zzyzx posted:

If you're on Firefox, a guy in the comments forum posted this, which can be added to <profile>\chrome\userContent.css to get rid of the opacity effect. Seems to do the trick.

code:
@-moz-document url-prefix([url]http://forums.somethingawful.com[/url]) {
 td.postbody .cancerous { opacity: 1 !important; }
}

You can also use AdBlock to block the avatars and the custom CSS that makes the RFA forums unreadable.

Stunt Rock
Jul 28, 2002

DEATH WISH AT 120 DECIBELS
Quote of the day from a client I was appointed to defend on a prostitution charge, to the black arresting officer after he offered to release her to her husband:

"Oh no, please don't. I don't want him to know I was going to gently caress a black guy."

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Stunt Rock posted:

Quote of the day from a client I was appointed to defend on a prostitution charge, to the black arresting officer after he offered to release her to her husband:

"Oh no, please don't. I don't want him to know I was going to gently caress a black guy."
Nice
Cheatin'? Who cares
Whorin'? Who cares
Black dude? Oh poo poo!

billion dollar bitch
Jul 20, 2005

To drink and fight.
To fuck all night.
Okay I'm one and seven for callbacks/rejections. I don't think I've ever been more depressed. 20 interviews outstanding.

CmdrSmirnoff
Oct 27, 2005
happy happy happy happy happy happy happy happy happy

billion dollar bitch posted:

Okay I'm one and seven for callbacks/rejections. I don't think I've ever been more depressed. 20 interviews outstanding.

Callbacks as in offers or callbacks as in "come to another interview"? I'm not sure how youse guys' system works.

I registered for our law society's articling database. There are a whopping 5 postings province-wide for 2011 grads. :smithicide:

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Leading us to the promised land (i.e., one tournament win in five years)

CmdrSmirnoff posted:

Callbacks as in offers or callbacks as in "come to another interview"? I'm not sure how youse guys' system works.

I registered for our law society's articling database. There are a whopping 5 postings province-wide for 2011 grads. :smithicide:
Come in for another interview.

Lykourgos
Feb 17, 2010

by T. Finn

billion dollar bitch posted:

I've heard worse. In terms of the private market, I was something like twenty for one. That one also consisted of being flown out to some place in Ohio, just to be told that they only had room for an URM. :bahgawd:

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender
Formerly Diplomaticus/SWATJester

Phil Moscowitz posted:

My doctor told me if I keep drinking the way I do I will 100% get cirrhosis by the age of 40 and be dead by 45.

I read this, then took poured myself a glass of Chivas and screamed out PHIL WITH IT in my apartment and scared the poo poo out of my cat.

Solomon Grundy
Feb 10, 2007

Born on a Monday

Phil Moscowitz posted:

The fun part is when you deny the drinking to your doctor but your liver enzymes are still elevated for unknown reasons so you have to go through a battery of tests looking for bizarre and esoteric causes for your liver dysfunction.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Phil Moscowitz posted:

Solomon Grundy posted:

The fun part is when you deny the drinking to your doctor but your liver enzymes are still elevated for unknown reasons so you have to go through a battery of tests looking for bizarre and esoteric causes for your liver dysfunction.

These are additional reasons why I'm trying to stop drinking so much. I'm only 26 I figure there's still time to save myself from that

probably

nm
Jan 28, 2008

Ainsley McTree posted:

These are additional reasons why I'm trying to stop drinking so much. I'm only 26 I figure there's still time to save myself from that

probably

And it gets expensive without health insurance

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Leading us to the promised land (i.e., one tournament win in five years)

Solomon Grundy posted:

Why would you lie about drinking to your doctor?

Solomon Grundy
Feb 10, 2007

Born on a Monday

gvibes posted:

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

nm posted:

Oh yeah, THAT thing

in MA I'm required to have it or else I won't get a refund on my state taxes on all that income I have

Lykourgos
Feb 17, 2010

by T. Finn

nm posted:

okay, but don't PDs get government health care or something? we get total coverage for a few dollars a month.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

1st Sgt. Matthews and the men have Procured for me a cummerbund from a traveling gypsy, who screeched Victory shall come at a Terrible price. i am Honored.

gvibes posted:

Doctors get all kinds of preachy when you admit any sort of substance abuse to them, it gets annoying.

Edit: Though this may be because I go to the Seventh Day Adventist clinic, but jesus if I wanted to get bitched at I could save myself the copay and have my wife do it.