Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

xzoto1
Jan 18, 2010

How's life in a bigger prison, Dae-su?

Nemesis Of Moles posted:

This has been bugging me all day. Its a comedy movie and all I can remember is that the characters go to a Japanese karaoke bar and one of the characters gets up and sings really well. It probably had some very silly lyrics and it may have had sing-a-long style subtitles as it went. Anyone know what I'm talking about?

Is it Lost in Translation?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

xzoto1 posted:

Is it Lost in Translation?

No, it was defiantly a lot sillier than that one.

Telegnostic
Apr 24, 2008
Could be (500) Days of Summer.

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

Nope, not that one either. The song itself was in Japanese.

Edit: To expand, I'm sure it was like an Owen Wilson/Ben Stiller style actor. The song was completely in Japanese and though out the song the character was acting like they couldn't see the words properly cause of the lights or something. The whole thing is shot like one of those karaoke machines in Japan that will make a recording of you singing. Complete with a really tacky background and poorly translated subtitles.

I'm starting to wonder if this is even a movie. Also starting to wonder if I'm just going mad.

Nemesis Of Moles fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Aug 14, 2010

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

xzoto1 posted:

This will either be easy or hard:

I just watched Fincher's Zodiac for the second time and for some reason I feel like I missed a scene. I thought for some reason Ruffalo's character is onto the Zodiac (after the Zodiac used a phone from a booth) and when Ruffalo goes to get the prints from the phone, he accidentally smears them out of being nervous and as a result, the prints are ruined. Did I miss a scene or is this from a different movie? Or did I just happen to read this and somehow imagined this as a scene from Zodiac or a different movie?

That scene isn't in Zodiac, though it does sound vaguely familiar.

Chili
Jan 23, 2004

college kids ain't shit

Fun Shoe
Ok, got a request from the dark annals of my childhood. This may well be a made for TV, impossible to identify flick but I'm hoping for some answers. My brother and I were 4 and 8 respectively and we turned on the TV to find some demonic little blonde child, probably around 10 or so, playing with marbles or something in his house.

He went upstairs, into a bath room and his mom was in the tub taking a bubble bath. He plugged in a toaster he happened to have with him and started swinging it around. His mother said, "That's not a toy" and then, and I'll never forget this for as long as I live he just went "I... know that" and then he swung it into the bathroom and killed.

Then the kid goes out to the pool. His younger sister is on the diving board. Kinda sucks cause she can't swim. The kid goes out to the diving board and starts bouncing it up and down. His sister protests but he keeps on bouncing away and she falls into the pool and of course, she drowns.

Father comes home, he sees the daughter and starts to rush out. Of course our little demon child was ready for this. He had laid out a bunch of marbles on the floor. Father fall, kid wails on him with a baseball bat.

Cut to a scene of him crying on the porch steps with the police walking around.

I don't know what else happened because my brother and I were sprinting downstairs crying like maniacs.

Any help on this? I kinda want to write the director a nasty letter.

The title of the flick would be awesome and if anyone knows why that little butthorn went and murdered his whole family, that would be nice. I have no explanation to go on now and I'm just confused.

Glass Joe
Mar 9, 2007

Chili posted:

Ok, got a request from the dark annals of my childhood. This may well be a made for TV, impossible to identify flick but I'm hoping for some answers. My brother and I were 4 and 8 respectively and we turned on the TV to find some demonic little blonde child, probably around 10 or so, playing with marbles or something in his house.

He went upstairs, into a bath room and his mom was in the tub taking a bubble bath. He plugged in a toaster he happened to have with him and started swinging it around. His mother said, "That's not a toy" and then, and I'll never forget this for as long as I live he just went "I... know that" and then he swung it into the bathroom and killed.

Then the kid goes out to the pool. His younger sister is on the diving board. Kinda sucks cause she can't swim. The kid goes out to the diving board and starts bouncing it up and down. His sister protests but he keeps on bouncing away and she falls into the pool and of course, she drowns.

Father comes home, he sees the daughter and starts to rush out. Of course our little demon child was ready for this. He had laid out a bunch of marbles on the floor. Father fall, kid wails on him with a baseball bat.

Cut to a scene of him crying on the porch steps with the police walking around.

I don't know what else happened because my brother and I were sprinting downstairs crying like maniacs.

Any help on this? I kinda want to write the director a nasty letter.

The title of the flick would be awesome and if anyone knows why that little butthorn went and murdered his whole family, that would be nice. I have no explanation to go on now and I'm just confused.

Sounds like Mikey. Here's a better plot summary.

Detective Thompson
Nov 9, 2007

Sammy Davis Jr. Jr. is also in repose.
The first one I saw when I was really young, so mid-late 80s. From what I remember of the quality, it was probably made around the same time frame. I only recall some little bits, mainly that it was a sci-fi film set possibly on the moon, but definitely not on Earth. It was probably the first film I ever saw that demonstrated the lack of sound in an airless atmosphere. Anyway, the part that sticks out to me is the main character and his buddy having some drinks at a bar. I don't really remember the main guy, but I remember his buddy being kind of a gruff, sloppy dude with a rough beard going on. Another part I seem to recall is that these guys were space miners or roughnecks, and they are doing some drilling out on the surface of wherever they lived, and I think the buddy gets attacked, maybe sawed in half by a robot. I also seem to recall the buddy coming back as a half-human, half-robot monster. That's not a lot to go on, but maybe it'll spark something.

The other thing I'm trying to recall is if Leviathan had a part where a small, spidery kind of sea creature makes its way back onto the crew's ship or whatever, then ends up getting killed in a hallway by a sharp piece of metal. The creature probably caused all sorts of havoc before being killed, and I want to say the person that killed it was a female crew member. Again, this is another movie I saw when I was young and I'm not sure about.

Chili
Jan 23, 2004

college kids ain't shit

Fun Shoe

Glass Joe posted:

Sounds like Mikey. Here's a better plot summary.

And we have a winner. Thanks buddy.

Slasherfan
Dec 2, 2003
IS IT WRONG THAT I ONCE WROTE A HORROR STORY ABOUT THE BUDDIES? YOU KNOW, THE TALKING PUPPIES?

Detective Thompson posted:

The other thing I'm trying to recall is if Leviathan had a part where a small, spidery kind of sea creature makes its way back onto the crew's ship or whatever, then ends up getting killed in a hallway by a sharp piece of metal. The creature probably caused all sorts of havoc before being killed, and I want to say the person that killed it was a female crew member. Again, this is another movie I saw when I was young and I'm not sure about.

I think Deep Star Six has a spidery sea monster. Haven't seen either in years and oddly enough ordered them both on DVD yesterday.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Slasherfan posted:

I think Deep Star Six has a spidery sea monster. Haven't seen either in years and oddly enough ordered them both on DVD yesterday.

Deep Star Six is similar but he is thinking of Leviathan, about 1/3 of the way in a small, mutated, spidery crab unrelated to the rest of the stuff gets on board. They chase it around a bit in a panic and Amanda Pays stabs it with some torn piece of metal.

Secks
Oct 10, 2002

The city is alive tonight

xzoto1 posted:

This will either be easy or hard:

I just watched Fincher's Zodiac for the second time and for some reason I feel like I missed a scene. I thought for some reason Ruffalo's character is onto the Zodiac (after the Zodiac used a phone from a booth) and when Ruffalo goes to get the prints from the phone, he accidentally smears them out of being nervous and as a result, the prints are ruined. Did I miss a scene or is this from a different movie? Or did I just happen to read this and somehow imagined this as a scene from Zodiac or a different movie?

You could possibly check out this version. It came out around the same time.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

The first one I saw when I was really young, so mid-late 80s. From what I remember of the quality, it was probably made around the same time frame. I only recall some little bits, mainly that it was a sci-fi film set possibly on the moon, but definitely not on Earth. It was probably the first film I ever saw that demonstrated the lack of sound in an airless atmosphere. Anyway, the part that sticks out to me is the main character and his buddy having some drinks at a bar. I don't really remember the main guy, but I remember his buddy being kind of a gruff, sloppy dude with a rough beard going on. Another part I seem to recall is that these guys were space miners or roughnecks, and they are doing some drilling out on the surface of wherever they lived, and I think the buddy gets attacked, maybe sawed in half by a robot. I also seem to recall the buddy coming back as a half-human, half-robot monster. That's not a lot to go on, but maybe it'll spark something.

Possibly Outland?

Starscream
Aug 17, 2000

The first half sounds like Outland but the second half sounds a lot like the old Bruce Campbell sci-fi flick Moontrap.

xzoto1
Jan 18, 2010

How's life in a bigger prison, Dae-su?

Secks posted:

You could possibly check out this version. It came out around the same time.

Nope, never seen it. I must have read something about a murderer or whatever and somehow tangled it up in the movie thinking there was a scene about it.

Detective Thompson
Nov 9, 2007

Neo Rasa posted:

Deep Star Six is similar but he is thinking of Leviathan, about 1/3 of the way in a small, mutated, spidery crab unrelated to the rest of the stuff gets on board. They chase it around a bit in a panic and Amanda Pays stabs it with some torn piece of metal.

Thanks for confirming that for me. Been bugging me for a bit.

100 Years in Iraq posted:

Possibly Outland?

Starscream posted:

The first half sounds like Outland but the second half sounds a lot like the old Bruce Campbell sci-fi flick Moontrap.

Thanks, I'll give these a look and see if they're what I'm thinking of.

Portfolio
Dec 10, 2004
The Department of Redundancy Department
There's a hipster hot dog restaurant type establishment here in Calgary called Tubby Dog. They have a projector set up that tends to be playing old kitschy cartoons most of the time, but they use it for other things like Street Fighter tournaments and Seinfeld nights, and if you're there later at night they tend to be play some pretty bizarre films.

I was there a few weeks ago and the film that was playing on the screen was so bizarre I just have to know what it was. There was a band playing, so it was really loud, and there were a lot of people lined up, so I didn't want to bother any of the staff (and as I mentioned, they wouldn't have heard me anyway). So I now turn to you, CD.

It was a mostly animated film, but it had bits of live action shots in it as well, mostly as background stuff. The segment I saw looked to be some sort of super-stylized gangster-type stuff. It seemed to be set in something like an ultra-gritty 1940s-ish Chicago or New York or something. The characters were mostly black, and like I said, a super-stylized, some might say offensive type of black--big lips and noses, etc. I unfortunately couldn't make out any of the dialogue, because of the aforementioned background noise, but the plot of the small bit that I saw seemed to involve some pimp-looking character and some goons driving around doing fairly standard gangster business. Oh, and that's the other thing--there were tits. Lots of tits. Live action tits, a few shots of strippers.

If anyone has the slightest idea what film this could possibly have been I would be very much obliged.

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

Portfolio posted:

It was a mostly animated film, but it had bits of live action shots in it as well, mostly as background stuff. The segment I saw looked to be some sort of super-stylized gangster-type stuff. It seemed to be set in something like an ultra-gritty 1940s-ish Chicago or New York or something. The characters were mostly black, and like I said, a super-stylized, some might say offensive type of black--big lips and noses, etc. I unfortunately couldn't make out any of the dialogue, because of the aforementioned background noise, but the plot of the small bit that I saw seemed to involve some pimp-looking character and some goons driving around doing fairly standard gangster business. Oh, and that's the other thing--there were tits. Lots of tits. Live action tits, a few shots of strippers.

If anyone has the slightest idea what film this could possibly have been I would be very much obliged.

I haven't seen it in an incredibly long time, but could this be Ralph Bakshi's Coonskin? It could also possibly be Heavy Traffic, too.

You Are A Werewolf fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Aug 15, 2010

Detective Thompson
Nov 9, 2007

A film noir that came out four or five years agao with the stereotypical self-narrating private eye, but he's investigating a death at a monastery, I think a Buddhist one. The thing I remember most from the trailer is a monk holding up two halves of an orange in front of his eyes. I think that was also the image on the poster.

Edit: Nevermind, the name just came to me. It's Zen Noir.

Detective Thompson fucked around with this message at 08:59 on Aug 17, 2010

M_E_G. ADI. K
Dec 11, 2006

Science fiction movie, set on an alien planet. Protagonist has a violin. The natives vocabulary is very very small and a word pronounced something like 'Koo' features heavily in it. By the end you can kind of work out roughly what the meaning they're trying to communicate is from context and tone. The title sounds something like 'Kayahyah'. Google has failed me.

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

:derp:   :kayak:                                     

M_E_G. ADI. K posted:

Science fiction movie, set on an alien planet. Protagonist has a violin. The natives vocabulary is very very small and a word pronounced something like 'Koo' features heavily in it. By the end you can kind of work out roughly what the meaning they're trying to communicate is from context and tone. The title sounds something like 'Kayahyah'. Google has failed me.

Don't remember the violin but the rest sounds like Kin-Dza-Dza

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0091341/

M_E_G. ADI. K
Dec 11, 2006

Schweinhund posted:

Don't remember the violin but the rest sounds like Kin-Dza-Dza

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0091341/

That's almost certainly it! Thanks.

Portfolio
Dec 10, 2004
The Department of Redundancy Department

You Are A Elf posted:

I haven't seen it in an incredibly long time, but could this be Ralph Bakshi's Coonskin? It could also possibly be Heavy Traffic, too.

If it's not Heavy Traffic, it's something almost exactly like it. Thanks a lot.

Elohssa Gib
Aug 30, 2006

Easily Amused

Competition posted:

I saw this on TV a few years ago:

Plot:
A spaceship crew on a mission to wherever awaken from hibernation to find their captain (someone who's job was to wake up a week or so prior to everyone else to get things set up) had hung himself.
After some digging they find a video (that I think the captain had tried to delete) of the population of Earth being wiped out in a nuclear war during their hibernation.

This leads to tensions between the crew (who're a bunch of multinationals), maybe another suicide or two, etc... Until it is revealed that one of the crew (A British woman) is an android and that this has been a training scenario and that they never infact took off from earth. Something goes wrong and they have to fight the android (there may have been more than one) and all but two of the crew die to stop the android/end the training scenario.

However upon getting out of the lab where the scenario was taking place they step into the real world and find out that while the training mission had occured there was in fact a nuclear war that wiped out everyone, I think the final scene is the image od a destroyed new york.

Date: It looked late 80s-mid 90s

This is a long shot but reading this, what came to mind was Crash and Burn
I'm probably wrong though.

Professor Clumsy
Sep 12, 2008

It is a while still till Sunrise - and in the daytime I sleep, my dear fellow, I sleep the very deepest of sleeps...

Nemesis Of Moles posted:

Edit: To expand, I'm sure it was like an Owen Wilson/Ben Stiller style actor. The song was completely in Japanese and though out the song the character was acting like they couldn't see the words properly cause of the lights or something. The whole thing is shot like one of those karaoke machines in Japan that will make a recording of you singing. Complete with a really tacky background and poorly translated subtitles.

I'm starting to wonder if this is even a movie. Also starting to wonder if I'm just going mad.

I think this might be an episode of Flight of the Conchords, they definitely did a very similar scene there.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

Nemesis Of Moles posted:

ProfessorClumsy posted:

I think this might be an episode of Flight of the Conchords, they definitely did a very similar scene there.

Came here to post what the good Professor said. See if it's this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=shP1IRGigbo

If it is, you're thinking of the HBO show Flight of the Conchords, which is great. Check the rest of it out.

Flynner Magee
Nov 24, 2005
.....bad craziness.....

Enigmatica posted:

I'm trying to remember the name of a movie that I watched about 10 years ago on either IFC or the Sundance channel. I believe it was set in Australia, but I could be wrong. For some reason, a man is harassed by a local dickhead cop, and the man stands his ground. The man stays in his farmhouse (with his girlfriend) and this results in a huge standoff with authorities. Near the end of the film, his friends and his supporters camp out on his farmland while the police continue trying to negotiate with him. A police sniper accidentally shoots the mans dog, but it lives and gets patched up. I can't remember much beyond that. I would be eternally grateful to the person that helps me identify this. Thanks in advance!

Think this might be Mr Reliable
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0117101/

Gossamer
Dec 13, 2006
We all enter the world screaming and covered in blood. The fun doesn't have to end there...
Got a really hard one here:

Older movie, probably made in 60's, 70's, or maybe 80's has a scene where some guy is driving another guy's car really hard and fast to get somewhere important and the guy who owns the car is in the back seat yelling hysterically about how the car can't take the speed/being driven that way and that it's going to give out and also how it's not his car or was his father's car maybe or something...

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

God drat. Thanks you two. That show looks pretty hilarious. I must have watched it on the plane one time and just completely forgot about it.

Thanks again.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Gossamer posted:

Got a really hard one here:

Older movie, probably made in 60's, 70's, or maybe 80's has a scene where some guy is driving another guy's car really hard and fast to get somewhere important and the guy who owns the car is in the back seat yelling hysterically about how the car can't take the speed/being driven that way and that it's going to give out and also how it's not his car or was his father's car maybe or something...

There are probably a lot of scenes like this, but it seems kind of like the scene in "Fast Times at Ridgemont High" where Spicoli (Sean Penn) is driving the car of football star Charles Jefferson (Forrest Whitaker) who is out of town, and Jefferson's little cousin is riding in the car worrying about what will happen as a result of Spicoli's reckless driving.

Which of course results in the inevitable, and then this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A5cneCgNA9U

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004
And yet, somehow, now it's my fault ...
Two movies that have chewing at my mind. The first should be easy, the second not so much.

Band-based horror film: Film dates from maybe the early 80s? At least part of the story takes place in an abandoned house. There's lots of use of blue filters and mysteriously slamming doors as faint snippets of music can be heard. The music is from a 50s / 60s band (with an early rock sound something like Bill Haley or Buddy Holly) who it is implied sold their souls to achieve success. The oft heard snippet of music goes "Shivers down my backbone ..."

Edit: thus turns out to be "Black Carrion", which is an episode of "Hammer House of Mystery and Suspense" from 1986.

Enigmatic french film: I barely remember anything about this, but it must have been produced around 1980. I remembered it as being essentially a modern French version of "The Draughtman's Contract", so much that I assumed it was by Peter Greenaway for many years. It has an off-kilter, slightly malevolent air about it. I think the plot was about a young French man doing work for a family (or publishing house) and (inevitably) having acrobatic sex with his sultry employer. The usual poster for this is two of them going at in a chair. (Of course I remember that bit.)

Edit: and this turns out to be "Peril en la demuere" or "Death in a French Garden" from 1985.

nonathlon fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Sep 5, 2010

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

outlier posted:

The oft heard snippet of music goes "Shivers down my backbone ..."

If it helps at all, that's probably the song "Shakin' All Over".

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004
And yet, somehow, now it's my fault ...

FitFortDanga posted:

If it helps at all, that's probably the song "Shakin' All Over".

That's absolutely the song. Which after a long chain of google searches leads me to Black Carrion, which turns out to actually be an episode of "Hammer House of Mystery and Suspense" from 1986. (Figures that a Hammer Horror TV show from 1986 looks just like a film from 1980.) No wonder I couldn't find it before. Thanks!

Enigmatica
May 22, 2007

Flynner Magee posted:

Think this might be Mr Reliable
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0117101/

That's it! Thank you very much for the help.

Sir Juan
May 5, 2009
I'll be very surprised if someone can help me with this.

The movie takes place in some major European city, possibly in France. The antagonist, who I think had an European accent, had either captured or tracked down the protagonist but has just lost him and tells his henchmen to "look for him in the cardinal's rear end". Or something along those lines.

The movie probably came out in the late 90's or the early 2000's. I remember watching in at my friend's house on DVD maybe five years ago.

foodfight
Feb 10, 2009
Trying to remember a film that I saw on here. I thought it starred Rutger Hauer but browsing his IMDB is coming up blank. I recall it being a sci fi cop movie but one of the characters is deaf or blind or something.

e: nevermind, its Blind Fury

Competition
Apr 3, 2006

by Fistgrrl

Elohssa Gib posted:

This is a long shot but reading this, what came to mind was Crash and Burn
I'm probably wrong though.

Sorry not it.

Competition
Apr 3, 2006

by Fistgrrl
Just found it infact, http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0114533/

Anyway here is another (that got answered in the last thread, but I haven't got access to it anymore and I lost the answer)

Set in a high school (Early 2000s) where inspired by the stories of an old pupil who used to cause mayhem, a group of current pupils start rebelling as they see school as a prison. Eventually the group turn on one another as the leader goes too far with massive destruction of property and permanent records.

The antagonist is a stern teacher who the leader hates and initially comes off as quite harsh, however throughout the stories we get flashbacks that eventually develop to reveal how he found the old pupil who inspired this all half-dead after cutting his wrists from punching out every school window throughout the night, the pupil then either died or was put in a mental hospital, and we see that the teacher is being stern because he is trying to stop it all happening again.

Stonelegs
Apr 15, 2003

I'll have a coke...
When I was a kid (80s) I saw a movie at home (movie channel or rental) where a guy, who was probably a secret agent of some type, was driving a military cargo vehicle or a troop transport. He hit some button and the cab sunk down, then he burst out the front of the vehicle in a sports car. I think it may have been yellow.

That's all I've got.

Action Jacktion posted:

Condorman?

(The only clip I could find is dubbed but you can watch it to get the idea.)

Hot drat. That's exactly what I was talking about. Awesome job Mr. Jacktion.

Stonelegs fucked around with this message at 16:19 on Aug 22, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Action Jacktion
Jun 3, 2003

Stonelegs posted:

When I was a kid (80s) I saw a movie at home (movie channel or rental) where a guy, who was probably a secret agent of some type, was driving a military cargo vehicle or a troop transport. He hit some button and the cab sunk down, then he burst out the front of the vehicle in a sports car. I think it may have been yellow.
Condorman?

(The only clip I could find is dubbed but you can watch it to get the idea.)