Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
UncleMonkey
Jan 11, 2005

We watched our friends grow up together
And we saw them as they fell
Some of them fell into Heaven
Some of them fell into Hell
Anybody else have a weird printing issue with Daytripper #9? Like, the third to last page, when Bras is on the beach with the windsock fish and finds the typewriter. Like 80% of the page looks like it's obscured with streaks of ink-- like what a newspaper looks like if you get it wet and then dry it out. The very last panel on the page is nearly impossible to read.

Is it just me? I think I'll contact my LCBS about it as well.

That said, good issue, though.

Also, The Unwritten continues to be awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Was Taters
Jul 30, 2004

Here comes a regular
Wah.

Unwritten just made me gasp aloud.

bairfanx
Jan 20, 2006

I look like this IRL,
but, you know,
more Greg Land-y.

gorgeous west posted:

Trying to pace myself with the few trades I've already bought so I don't have to endure too much dead time before my next purchase. A lot of you guys must know that feeling.

When I started reading Lucifer, there was a day that, in the morning (around 10 or 11), I went in to the comic shop and picked up a trade. I think it was 7 or 8. I then, having finished that volume and after weighing it on my mind, went back in to the store before they closed to buy the other one. By the time I was going to bed, I regretted not buying the third trade, knowing I would have gotten that far.

I know that addiction that is Lucifer, but I do not know the restraint you seem to have.

UncleMonkey posted:

Also, The Unwritten continues to be awesome.

And this. A million times this. The reveal shocked me, and it was then that I realized that I was actually emotionally invested in the series. Carey's got another wonderful series on his hands.

bairfanx fucked around with this message at 07:56 on Aug 12, 2010

Fuck Your Website
Nov 29, 2003
FUCK YOU, AND FUCK YOUR WEBSITE

RevKrule posted:

Icon is Marvel's Vertigo.
It's really not. Icon is just an imprint for Marvel-exclusive creators to release creator-owned material through so they don't have to go to Image or whatever. Vertigo develops most of their books in conjunction with the creators and a good amount of it is not creator-owned material. The two are very little alike.

bairfanx
Jan 20, 2006

I look like this IRL,
but, you know,
more Greg Land-y.
I've decided to undertake writing annotations for The Unwritten, as the thing is loaded with references. I finished the first issue, and if anyone's interested, have it on a blogspot (along with an article about Animal Man/Morrison/"mature" comics).

In rereading, they sound a little more opinionated than I'd like, but the meat of the first issue is there at least

Fight My Dad!
Mar 9, 2008

I wish I had Paul Newman's eyes
That would be nice.

BetterTasteThnU posted:

a good amount of it is not creator-owned material

Madame Xanadu and Hellblazer are the only two still being done, though. I can certainly see that that is the direction DC is pushing Vertigo.

UncleMonkey
Jan 11, 2005

bairfanx posted:

I've decided to undertake writing annotations for The Unwritten, as the thing is loaded with references. I finished the first issue, and if anyone's interested, have it on a blogspot (along with an article about Animal Man/Morrison/"mature" comics).

In rereading, they sound a little more opinionated than I'd like, but the meat of the first issue is there at least
Nice! I've bookmarked it and I'm definitely going to be checking it out. Thanks!

sixteenstraws
May 7, 2009

slave to a label but I own my masters
Is there an order I should Fables/Jack of Fables in? I've just finished the 10th Fables trade.

bairfanx
Jan 20, 2006

I look like this IRL,
but, you know,
more Greg Land-y.

UncleMonkey posted:

Nice! I've bookmarked it and I'm definitely going to be checking it out. Thanks!

Thank you. Harsh criticism is appreciated, as I'd like them to get better in quality.

Phoon
Apr 23, 2010

sixteenstraws posted:

Is there an order I should Fables/Jack of Fables in? I've just finished the 10th Fables trade.

You need to read up to the Big Book of War in Jack of Fables before you read Great Fables Crossover, apart from that it doesn't matter so much.

Edit: And including.

Phoon fucked around with this message at 16:14 on Aug 16, 2010

choobs
Mar 25, 2004
Never bring a duck to a cock fight.

Phoon posted:

You need to read up to the Big Book of War in Jack of Fables before you read Great Fables Crossover, apart from that it doesn't matter so much.

Yeah, they didn't intersect hardly at all until the crossover.

Phoon
Apr 23, 2010

And then the crossover is a Fables trade but is the conclusion of the plot that's been building in Jack and has very little to do with whats been happening in Fables.

Elijah Snow
Dec 10, 2006

some-something man
RE: Unwritten 16, that was a load of bullshit. A huge powerful organization fails to realize what was going on in China, when it had been rumoured on television already a few issues earlier?

Augh.

tokar
Aug 13, 2010
embarking on PREACHER Vol.8 tonight. EXCITING.

sixteenstraws
May 7, 2009

slave to a label but I own my masters

Phoon posted:

Edit: And including.

Thanks!

Colonel Pancreas
Jun 17, 2004

So I just found out that Greek Street and Madame Xanadu are both getting early deaths. What the hell is up with that? Between wrapping up Air early and both of these (plus Unknown Soldier), does Vertigo just want to cancel every good book it has going?

bairfanx
Jan 20, 2006

I look like this IRL,
but, you know,
more Greg Land-y.
I don't know about Madame Xanadu, but I still haven't met someone who really liked Greek Street too much. It's anecdotal evidence, but I really don't know who was buying it (aside from you, obviously)

Colonel Pancreas
Jun 17, 2004

bairfanx posted:

I don't know about Madame Xanadu, but I still haven't met someone who really liked Greek Street too much. It's anecdotal evidence, but I really don't know who was buying it (aside from you, obviously)

I've seen it mentioned in quite a few times in shipping threads, so I know it gets at least some support around here. I get the impression that Milligan saw 100 Bullets, decided it was loving awesome, and wanted to do his own version of it. It's not a very good crime book, and it definitely isn't perfect, but it was starting to develop its own identity. The pacing of the first arc was terrible - it started dragging like no one's business in the middle. Ironically enough, I think the second arc, which just finished, may have benefited from the cancellation. I have the feeling that he had to cut it short in order to wrap up some of the dangling plot threads with the three issues he has left, and once he had to make things tighter it instantly climbed a few notches on the totem poll. I was literally on the verge of removing the book from my list the day part 1 of Ajax came out, but after I finished it I abandoned the notion instantly.

I'm a huge mythology nerd, and I thought the book was off to a decent enough start that I was going to stick with it for a while. I think he may have spent a bit too much time working on exposition with part one at the expense of an actual plot, and it's a shame they aren't giving him enough time to really make the book succeed. I remember having an similar reaction to 100 Bullets at the beginning - it wasn't until I got to Loop's story that I was like, "Okay, this book is loving going places."

At least I could see Greek Street, Vol. 2 working if they ever give him another chance. If he did indeed plan on following the 100 Bullets plot structure of various vignettes coming together to form an overarching story, he could jump right in with the next protagonist and eventually bring back the plot we have so far in. I guess it just isn't a big enough seller to justify that, though.

Edit: This is a pretty fair breakdown from FBB, and I guess it wasn't doing stellar. But God help me, if iZombie has a longer run than Greek Street, I will never read a Vertigo book again. Maybe I'll just have to try Scalped:
http://funnybookbabylon.com/2010/07/21/number-crunching-looking-at-vertigo-cancellations/

Colonel Pancreas fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Aug 17, 2010

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

iZombie is awesome, you're nuts.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Thrilling the forums since 2001

I hate to say it, but there's probably zero chance I'd be reading iZombie were it not for Allred's awesome art.

As for Greek Street, I found it mostly enjoyable and was starting to hit its stride. I'm sad it's going but I understand the loss.

Thanks for reminding me there's no more Loveless too. :(

Was Taters
Jul 30, 2004

Here comes a regular
I like iZombie a lot, but the story is starting with a slow burn and I think that's a mistake.

The Action Man
Oct 26, 2004

This is a good movie.

Was Taters posted:

I like iZombie a lot, but the story is starting with a slow burn and I think that's a mistake.

I feel like most Vertigo titles make this mistake these days. The $1 first issues are a great idea, but it still doesn't change the fact that almost every Vertigo title isn't worth checking out until the first trade hits.

Fight My Dad!
Mar 9, 2008

I wish I had Paul Newman's eyes
That would be nice.

The Action Man posted:

I feel like most Vertigo titles make this mistake these days. The $1 first issues are a great idea, but it still doesn't change the fact that almost every Vertigo title isn't worth checking out until the first trade hits.

I counter with Sweet Tooth. Well, that said, the thing is still slow-burning, but I think that's less "it's built around trades" and more "this is a slow-paced book"

tokar
Aug 13, 2010
just finished PREACHER and looking to start another series. im loving Ennis and was thinking about THE BOYS, but there are other Vertigo titles that are "must reads" i.e. SANDMAN and Y THE LAST MAN.

After spending a few too many dollars on the PREACHER trades, I'm not sure I want to get myself addicted to SANDMAN. But hey, ive always been susceptible to peer pressure...

UncleMonkey
Jan 11, 2005

tokar posted:

just finished PREACHER and looking to start another series. im loving Ennis and was thinking about THE BOYS, but there are other Vertigo titles that are "must reads" i.e. SANDMAN and Y THE LAST MAN.

After spending a few too many dollars on the PREACHER trades, I'm not sure I want to get myself addicted to SANDMAN. But hey, ive always been susceptible to peer pressure...
Yeah, Sandman and Y are both must reads. On the Ennis front, I say give his run on Hellblazer a try (also a Vertigo book). Other Vertigo books you might check out are Alan Moore's run on Swamp Thing, Warren Ellis' Transmetropolitan, and Brian Azzarello's 100 Bullets.

tokar
Aug 13, 2010

UncleMonkey posted:

Yeah, Sandman and Y are both must reads. On the Ennis front, I say give his run on Hellblazer a try (also a Vertigo book). Other Vertigo books you might check out are Alan Moore's run on Swamp Thing, Warren Ellis' Transmetropolitan, and Brian Azzarello's 100 Bullets.

YES! as a matter of fact im collecting Moore's Swamp Thing (in back issues) now. i know its expensive but its a series i want to have in issues.

I might give Hellblazer a try, keeping the Constantine thing going.

WHOOPS
Nov 6, 2009
I'm in the middle of PREACHER right now myself and holy god do I hate Steve Dillon. There is just something terrible uninteresting about the way he dras his characters.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo
Does anyone have one of the "oh my God, she caught Steve Dillon face!" images?

tokar
Aug 13, 2010

KFCB posted:

I'm in the middle of PREACHER right now myself and holy god do I hate Steve Dillon. There is just something terrible uninteresting about the way he dras his characters.

dillon definitely draws ALL of his characters in the EXACT SAME style and that is annoying. the violence/gore along with glen fabry's covers kept me going though. i'll be finishing PREACHER Vol. 9 tonight. something extraordinary better happen!

Yeti Yeti Yeti
Mar 27, 2010

tokar posted:

Have you checked if your library has comics? That's how I read both Sandman and Y The Last Man.

Yeti Yeti Yeti fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Aug 18, 2010

choobs
Mar 25, 2004

Yeti Yeti Yeti posted:

Have you checked if your library has comics? That's how I read both Sandman and Y The Last Man.

That's how I read Lucifer a while ago. Which was totally awesome by the way.

WHOOPS
Nov 6, 2009
I will also voice support for reading trades from the library. It's how I read Y, Sandman and am currently reading Preacher.

And I just remembered Wolverine: Origins was also drawn my Steve Dillon. It wasn't a great book but Dillons big jawed faces sure poo poo didn't help.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005
Ennis' early run on Hellblazer was character defining for Constantine, but he's got some later issues that I think he did around the time Hitman was out (another worthwhile Ennis book, although poorly collected, so you'll need to either find a bunch of issues, accept that there are only a few trades, or :filez: it) that has some dumb-rear end mafia guys that felt completely out of place (and like a Hitman side story).

I think Preacher was the first Dillon book I've read, followed by his MK Punisher, and outside of those I can't stand his art. If Preacher is your first Dillon book, then you get to see each character he draws fresh and it isn't so bad. He's really good at illustration overall but whatever causes him to draw so many familiar faces (whether technique or motivation or a crippling inability to differentiate faces in real life)is really annoying.

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.
Dillons style is definitely a bit samey, but at least it's clear what's going on and each character is consistent. I prefer that to some of the badly drawn mainstream/TV tie in (the latter are the WORST) comics where you really can only tell who's who because they have distinctive costumes.

Is Lucifer worth reading right from the get-go? It has one writer for the whole run which is usually a big plus, does it take him long to hit his stride?

choobs
Mar 25, 2004

Fatkraken posted:

Dillons style is definitely a bit samey, but at least it's clear what's going on and each character is consistent. I prefer that to some of the badly drawn mainstream/TV tie in (the latter are the WORST) comics where you really can only tell who's who because they have distinctive costumes.

Is Lucifer worth reading right from the get-go? It has one writer for the whole run which is usually a big plus, does it take him long to hit his stride?
I found the mini series that preceded it (and set up the whole series) to be a little meh, not bad, but not great, and the first story arc didn't really grab me, but from the second story arc on, it is non-stop :rock:

bairfanx
Jan 20, 2006

I look like this IRL,
but, you know,
more Greg Land-y.

Fatkraken posted:

If you buy the first trade, it comes with the Sandman Presents: Lucifer miniseries as well as the first story arc. I'll agree with Choobs that the first arc is a little slow going, but I actually am a big fan of the miniseries that kicks it off.

There are a fair number of people (or at least goons) that like Lucifer more than Sandman.

As far as hitting his stride, the third trade is probably one of my favorites and brings a lot to the series.

Seldom Posts
Jul 4, 2010

Grimey Drawer

UncleMonkey posted:

Voicing my support for 100 Bullets. That series was what convinced me to start buying comics again after a 15 year hiatus. (And I heard about it here on BSS--thanks guys!)

Bitchin Kitchen
Jun 2, 2006
Capital!
Got the first Unwritten trade, thanks guys, my Mike Carey obsession just grew again. God drat that man is amazing.

Edit: N.H. comic store had 50% off so I also got the first Scalped trade because of this thread. You guys have pretty great taste. (And finally picked up the last Doom Patrol and Hellblazer: Family Man. How many issues of Delano's run are left uncollected? And the gap in that trade, is that the stuff from Rare Cuts? I have almost all the Hellblazer books but I'm missing that one.)

Bitchin Kitchen fucked around with this message at 15:13 on Aug 25, 2010

gorgeous west
Feb 17, 2007

Man in the Planet
Any of you guys read Fogtown? I hadn't really noticed it in the store, it just popped up in a google search and the few reviews I checked over were a little meh. I'm a gay dude into a lot of straight-guy stuff when it comes to comics/movies/etc, and it sounds like it could be kind of adorable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Bitchin Kitchen posted:

Got the first Unwritten trade, thanks guys, my Mike Carey obsession just grew again. God drat that man is amazing.

Edit: N.H. comic store had 50% off so I also got the first Scalped trade because of this thread. You guys have pretty great taste. (And finally picked up the last Doom Patrol and Hellblazer: Family Man. How many issues of Delano's run are left uncollected? And the gap in that trade, is that the stuff from Rare Cuts? I have almost all the Hellblazer books but I'm missing that one.)

His run is collected up to 32 and his run ended at 40 so there needs to be one more trade. This storyline is all about his twin brother . The missing ones are Grant Morrison and Neil Gaiman's that are collected in Rare Cuts and Neil Gaiman's Midnight Days. He also wrote the original graphic novel Pandemonium

• Locked thread