Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NiknudStunod
May 2, 2009
This is the best GoG to be released to this date!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
I'm looking to get Two Worlds when I finally pick out a new laptop, and it looks like Two Worlds off GOG isn't compatible with Windows 7 (which my laptop will most likely be). I also know a good chunk of their games don't work on 7 yet, is there a timeframe for changing that? Or is there some sort of "XP/Vista Compatibility" mode in 7? I admit I know almost nothing about it...

Su-Su-Sudoko
Oct 25, 2007

what stands in the way becomes the way

C-Euro posted:

I'm looking to get Two Worlds when I finally pick out a new laptop, and it looks like Two Worlds off GOG isn't compatible with Windows 7 (which my laptop will most likely be). I also know a good chunk of their games don't work on 7 yet, is there a timeframe for changing that? Or is there some sort of "XP/Vista Compatibility" mode in 7? I admit I know almost nothing about it...

I haven't had any problem with any of the GOG games I've played on my W7 computer (Two Worlds isn't one of them, though), but if there's a problem there is an XP compatibility mode.

kuddles
Jul 16, 2006

Like a fist wrapped in blood...
I actually bought Two Worlds off GoG about a month ago, and it ran fine on Windows 7 64-bit. I thought the game was complete garbage, but it ran perfectly.

In most cases the game works fine in 7 if it's Vista-compatible, GoG is just hesitant to say it's officially compatible unless they are certain, as some of these old games have issues that don't crop up until hours into them.

glug
Mar 12, 2004

JON JONES APOLOGIST #1
Another Windows 7 64bit GOG.com two-worlds user who had absolutely no problems, including far less crashes than my current re-run of Dragon Age still has.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Total Annihilation? Shoot, why did I buy Earth 2150? Which, by the way, has all the polish of an open source Linux game.

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages

Blodskur posted:

Total Annihilation: Commander Pack (Contains Total Annihilation, The Core Contingency and Battle Tactics) is now on GOG for $5.99.

Hell. Yes.

First Raptor and now this. Per NBA Jam rules: They're heating up and they could be on fire next week!

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

doctorfrog posted:

Total Annihilation? Shoot, why did I buy Earth 2150? Which, by the way, has all the polish of an open source Linux game.

I don't know what you're talking about - 2150 is awesome.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
gently caress.. I was all happy to see the idea of DRM free games from my youth, until I looked and didn't find either Crusader game or Carmageddon 2.

Still, I will keep an eye out on the page. I like the idea of "buy it and play it, no hoop jumping needed".

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

gently caress.. I was all happy to see the idea of DRM free games from my youth, until I looked and didn't find either Crusader game or Carmageddon 2.

Still, I will keep an eye out on the page. I like the idea of "buy it and play it, no hoop jumping needed".

Good luck, we have all been waiting for those. But considering the magic they have been pulling.... we might see Carmageddon. I doubt we ever see any EA owned stuff. Hey, who does own Carmageddon? SCI? Are they around? I know like Jowood or some silly company like that did that horrible Carmageddon TRD 2000 whatever copy it was called

Drlupinmario
Aug 18, 2010

by T. Finn
This place loving rocks

I have I would estimate 30 games from this place. I cant help it! They are just so cheap!

The place has great games to go put on netbooks and stuff

Woebin
Feb 6, 2006

Blodskur posted:

Total Annihilation: Commander Pack (Contains Total Annihilation, The Core Contingency and Battle Tactics) is now on GOG for $5.99.
I don't know if anyone will play this when Spring can be played instead, but it's worth the price for the soundtrack alone. It's fantastic.

Farquar
Apr 30, 2003

Bjorn you glad I didn't say banana?

AxeManiac posted:

Good luck, we have all been waiting for those. But considering the magic they have been pulling.... we might see Carmageddon. I doubt we ever see any EA owned stuff. Hey, who does own Carmageddon? SCI? Are they around? I know like Jowood or some silly company like that did that horrible Carmageddon TRD 2000 whatever copy it was called

God what a disappointing sequel that was. :(

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Woebin posted:

I don't know if anyone will play this when Spring can be played instead, but it's worth the price for the soundtrack alone. It's fantastic.

I might just play TA because I missed out on it so long ago. So far, it seems to hold up pretty well.

As for Spring RTS, can you recommend a game with relatively straightforward and simple co-op against the AI? I might want to rope some friends in for some casual play. The 1944 mod looks pretty cool.

Woebin
Feb 6, 2006

doctorfrog posted:

I might just play TA because I missed out on it so long ago. So far, it seems to hold up pretty well.

As for Spring RTS, can you recommend a game with relatively straightforward and simple co-op against the AI? I might want to rope some friends in for some casual play. The 1944 mod looks pretty cool.
Afraid I can't, sorry. I never managed to get Spring working well enough for me to play much. I guess that might make me an exception to my own statement :shobon:.

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades

Farquar posted:

God what a disappointing sequel that was. :(

I remember I was at E3 the year that was coming out, the PR dude was embarrassed of it, like, "Oh, well the company is trying to shy away from this, we just made it" and kept trying to show me their family friendly games instead.

TDR replaced all humans with zombies, green blood, make you a good guy trying to save the world or something. It was a mess.

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
It had pretty impressive physics for its day, though.

Bats
Sep 6, 2003

With great power comes great responsiblity...TO ROCK OUT!
Was that in like the Euro/Germany version of TDR 2000? I don't recall there being zombies, I specifically remembered the wholesale slaughter of humans in my game. I played TDR 2000 a lot. Carmageddon is my favourite series. The biggest problem I had with TDR2000 was the stupid 'mission' levels in between races, since the engine just wasn't built for that, and they were drat buggy, I could never pass the one where you are supposed to steal a bomb from a vehicle and then like get it to another spot. I honestly just want them to remake Carmageddon 1 and be done with it. I didn't care for 2 as much, it just was way way more sluggish and the destruction model was crappier and such, it was like they went full 3d but it was crappy 3d at the time.

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture
Every iteration of Carmageddon (1, 2, TDR 2000) could be found in at least 2 versions of differing violence level depending on region. They all had a red-blooded human variant (which I think you could always get back with a patch), and another version with robots or zombies.

9-Volt Assault
Jan 27, 2007

Beter twee tetten in de hand dan tien op de vlucht.
New promo:

quote:

Until Thursday, August 26 at 11:59 p.m. EDT you can grab 4 great games from JoWooD - Gothic 2 Gold, Spellforce Platinum, Painkiller and The Guild Gold 40% cheaper, while the Realms of Arkania games are all 25% off.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

Woebin posted:

I thought Spring was multiplayer only, was I wrong?

Su-Su-Sudoko
Oct 25, 2007

what stands in the way becomes the way

Dudley posted:

There are some AI opponents you can play with, but there's no campaign or anything like that.

Woebin
Feb 6, 2006

Dudley posted:

As Flashduck said there are bots but no campaign. I actually forgot about the campaing altogether, probably since I never made it through it myself and don't remember it being very good. Then again that was many years ago, maybe it's worth another shot.

I don't seem to know what I'm talking about this point, so just ignore everything I've said except that the soundtrack is fantastic. That point remains valid, at least.

Kashwashwa
Jul 11, 2006
You'll do fine no matter what. That's my motto.
I tried hard to justify buying TA, but I literally happened to dig up the original CDs by accident last night while going through my closet looking for something.

Gothic 2 on sale... that was an awesome game.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Kashwashwa posted:

I tried hard to justify buying TA, but I literally happened to dig up the original CDs by accident last night while going through my closet looking for something.

Gothic 2 on sale... that was an awesome game.

I already have Gothic 2 and the Realms of Arkania games (and I put Gothic 2 and Realms of Arkania 2 on my list of best RPGs of all times). Considering getting Painkiller and those other two. Any info about "Spellforce" and "The Guild"? Both seems interesting, but never heard of then,.

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

Wine can of their wits the wise beguile,
Make the sage frolic, and the serious smile.
The Guild is an amazing genre-breaking game. In it you play an aspiring nobleman in the 1400s. Here is an abbreviated list of what you can do in the game:

• Break into other noble's homes and steal their poo poo
  • Marry a rich woman and lock her in a basement until she dies in order to get her money
  • Bomb other people's homes
  • Torture your enemies for justice or just for some personal vendetta
  • Extort money from any and all wrongdoers
  • Work your way up the political ranks so that you can declare the businesses of your opponents illegal
  • Own a cemetery with the sole goal of raising the people that PAY to be buried there to become your undead (and unpaid!) workforce.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
SpellForce is an interesting RTS with heavy RPG elements. Wasn't my cup of tea because I hate RTSes, but it was pretty successful critically. The Guild is an economic management game and is apparently one of the best in that (fairly limited) genre, and way better than The Guild 2 which was on sale on Steam a few weeks ago.

ImpactVector
Feb 24, 2007

HAHAHAHA FOOLS!!
I AM SO SMART!

Uh oh. What did he do now?

Nap Ghost

Elias_Maluco posted:

Any info about "Spellforce" and "The Guild"? Both seems interesting, but never heard of then,.
Spellforce is kind of a neat RTS/RPG hybrid where you have a main character and a party of other dudes that you equip with weapons and level up but the RTS portion of the game is pretty shallow.

The Guild is kind of a renaissance dynasty simulator. You play as a business owner (smith, inkeeper, priest, etc) and pretty much just attempt to make yourself as powerful as possible. There are city council elections and underhanded deeds to screw over other people. Also, when you die at the ripe old age of 40 you take on the role of one of your kids (so you need to marry and have kids early of you're hosed). I thought it was pretty sweet. I just picked up the sequel on Steam and I'm not sure which one I like better yet.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

ImpactVector posted:

Spellforce is kind of a neat RTS/RPG hybrid where you have a main character and a party of other dudes that you equip with weapons and level up but the RTS portion of the game is pretty shallow.

The Guild is kind of a renaissance dynasty simulator. You play as a business owner (smith, inkeeper, priest, etc) and pretty much just attempt to make yourself as powerful as possible. There are city council elections and underhanded deeds to screw over other people. Also, when you die at the ripe old age of 40 you take on the role of one of your kids (so you need to marry and have kids early of you're hosed). I thought it was pretty sweet. I just picked up the sequel on Steam and I'm not sure which one I like better yet.

Oh, well, I guess Im buying. I hope one day I even get to play then.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Gothic II is one I've looked at once or twice- worth it?

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

C-Euro posted:

Yes. The controls take some getting used to, but are now second nature.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

C-Euro posted:

Easily the best on the Gothic series, an awesome game. Think Oblivion, but with actual content and challenge.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

GreenNight posted:

Yes. The controls take some getting used to, but are now second nature.

When I tried to play the original Gothic, I got killed almost immediately and had no idea what I was doing.

Is Gothic II any better? How you do a thing, that's all explained in the manual, right?

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages

Overwined posted:

The Guild is an amazing genre-breaking game. In it you play an aspiring nobleman in the 1400s. Here is an abbreviated list of what you can do in the game:

• Break into other noble's homes and steal their poo poo
  • Marry a rich woman and lock her in a basement until she dies in order to get her money
  • Bomb other people's homes
  • Torture your enemies for justice or just for some personal vendetta
  • Extort money from any and all wrongdoers
  • Work your way up the political ranks so that you can declare the businesses of your opponents illegal
  • Own a cemetery with the sole goal of raising the people that PAY to be buried there to become your undead (and unpaid!) workforce.

A good friend was hooked on this game for a while and basically told me the same thing, but I'm wondering how hard it is to get into the game? It sounds like one of those over-complicated PC games with 300-page manuals or something and I was just never into those. I like the "easy to learn, difficult to master" games.

ImpactVector
Feb 24, 2007

HAHAHAHA FOOLS!!
I AM SO SMART!

Uh oh. What did he do now?

Nap Ghost

Charles Martel posted:

A good friend was hooked on this game for a while and basically told me the same thing, but I'm wondering how hard it is to get into the game? It sounds like one of those over-complicated PC games with 300-page manuals or something and I was just never into those. I like the "easy to learn, difficult to master" games.
You can tailor the complexity of the game based on what profession you choose. Priest is one of the simpler ones. You have an easy/passive way to make money (indulgences) and your production options are pretty simple (your workers are scribes and mostly just need paper and a few other things). Innkeeper is another good one, with the added bonus of being able to make beer. :cheers:

Avoid some of the more abstract ones like rogue and town guard if you want simple -- stick to professions that make something.

Edit: Oh, and I forgot the best part of being a priest: You get to denounce people you don't like in your sermons. :catholic: Who wouldn't love that? The only real issue is that building spaces for churches are pretty limited, so you're not going to be able to own lots of production buildings. Pretty sure there was a way to "multiclass" over time though.

ImpactVector fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Aug 19, 2010

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Searching for a gameplay vid of the Guild on YouTube is an exercise in frustration.

SheepNameKiller
Jun 19, 2004

Agreed posted:

When I tried to play the original Gothic, I got killed almost immediately and had no idea what I was doing.

Is Gothic II any better? How you do a thing, that's all explained in the manual, right?

Uh, in that respect it's pretty much the same. It's slightly better than 1 but Gothic 2 still has a steep difficulty curve. For what it's worth though Gothic 2 is quite possibly one of the best PC RPGs ever released.

GoldenNugget
Mar 27, 2008
:dukedog:

Agreed posted:

It's still as difficult as I.

Basically if you're getting killed you don't know how to use the fighting controls (it's not very intuitive but becomes very useful once you learn them), are attacking npcs you shouldn't be fighting, or are going into very very high level areas you shouldn't be going into (aka orc territory). It's neat if you have the patience since you can kill orcs at low levels; it's just very tedious but you get a ton of xp.

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

Wine can of their wits the wise beguile,
Make the sage frolic, and the serious smile.

Charles Martel posted:

This is a "easy to learn, difficult to master" game. Each of the game mechanics is pretty obvious. The main obscurity lies in the fact that you have no idea about everything you are able to do. There are really a billion paths to take. However, running your basic market supply and demand businesses (blacksmith, perfumery, alchemist, joiner, and tailor) are all very straight forward and play pretty much the same. Each of those buildings has a unique perk, but other than that they run the same. So, you can get a good income coming from that then you can explore on your own all the good poo poo you can do without worrying about going bankrupt. Also, basic business functions can be handed over to the AI to take your mind off them.

I once read a guide for the game that stressed you not even dabble in politics until your third generation and I'd say that's a pretty good rule of thumb. I admit that the controls and options can be obscure sometimes but the functionality is straight forward. Also, holding down the RMB on just about anything gives you a good deal of useful information.

You can "multi-class" very easily. After some time you reach Level 6 in each of the mastercrafts. At that point you can spend more AP to switch mastercraft occupation. You retain all the knowledge from past mastercrafts as well--as do your heirs. So, after some time you could become a grand master in everything. FYI, you do this by getting to Level 6, then clicking on your name. A menu appears (this menu can have many options and can scroll up and down FYI) and you just need to choose "Your occupations" to switch.

Overwined fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Aug 19, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Irony.or.Death
Apr 1, 2009

The Spellforce games are pretty cool conceptually but far too shallow to pull it off. You're in more danger of falling asleep mid-mission than of losing at any point, and they spend way too much time on poorly written story. If you have some massive surplus of spare time you need to dispose of you could do worse, but you're not missing out on anything by skipping them.