Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
StickySweater
Feb 7, 2008
Does anyone know when Chinatown is coming to Blu Ray? I've never seen it, but I figure the first viewing should be on Blu Ray if at all possible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Space_Butler
Dec 5, 2003
Fun Shoe

Unmistakeable Fire posted:

Where's my King of the Hill blu rays :( ?
I'd be happy with them just releasing the rest of the series on dvd, but for blu-ray versions I'd probably sell an organ.

BitterAvatar
Jun 19, 2004

I do not miss the future

doctor thodt posted:

WB has added TV shows to their DVD2Blu program. I'm gonna hang on to my Deadwood set now just in case.

http://www.dvd2blu.com/

You send in just the dvd but do you get the blu-ray and a new case back or just a blu-ray disc to be used in your old dvd case?

BitterAvatar fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Aug 19, 2010

blast0rama
Aug 13, 2003

Tingly.

BitterAvatar posted:

You send in just the dvd but do you get the blu-ray and a new case back or just a blu-ray disc to be used in your old dvd case?

My understanding is a factory sealed blu-ray.

Which leads to the question - what the hell do you do with your empty DVD box?

emgeejay
Dec 8, 2007

doctor thodt posted:

Anchorman details:

This has the Unrated and the Theatrical cut, right?

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
Apparently A Zed And Two Noughts has received a nice Blu-Ray thanks to BFI. It's region-free, too. Does FFD know about this?

bmmello
Jul 11, 2002

Magic Hate Ball posted:

Apparently A Zed And Two Noughts has received a nice Blu-Ray thanks to BFI. It's region-free, too. Does FFD know about this?

I haven't seen it, but it seems like a film bound to have tits. Where are they?

Anyway, this looks good, I might check it out. I have never seen a Greenaway.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
The only film of his I've seen is The Belly Of An Architect (which was almost operatic), but I'm intrigued by the screencaps.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

bmmello posted:

Greenaway almost always has tits. And schlongs. Can't remember if there are specifically any in ZOO, but probably. I don't recall the film very well (and last time I tried to watch it, I wasn't that into it) but I might take a chance and buy it anyway. I might as well do my part to encourage more Greenaway releases.

edit: gently caress it, went ahead and pre-ordered it

FitFortDanga fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Aug 19, 2010

FirstCongoWar
Aug 21, 2002

It feels so 80's or early 90's to be political.

bmmello posted:

They're on one of the posters.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
I wish Greenaway had better representation on DVD. The local library has one copy of The Cook, The Thief, His Wife, and Her Lover, but it's "lost".

FirstCongoWar posted:

They're on one of the posters.

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Watching Hamlet and it's not nearly a Gladiator-level disaster. The pq is generally acceptable, but leaves much to be desired.

doctor thodt fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Aug 19, 2010

Psmith
May 7, 2007
The p is silent, as in phthisis, psychic, and ptarmigan.
For the people that never bought the original gladiator blu and therefore arent doing the exchange program is the new one available in stores yet? Is it like the SPR reissue where the barcode is yellow?

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

I would almost kill a man for a great BD of The Pillow Book. Greenaway rules. That would be so gorgeous.

BitterAvatar
Jun 19, 2004

I do not miss the future
So if I'm going to take part in the Warner Bros exchange program are there any movies that have bad transfers I should avoid or are they generally all decent?

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I can think of very few Blu-Rays that aren't an upgrade over their DVD counterparts, and none of them are from WB. The only thing is that some of their older releases don't have lossless audio.

BitterAvatar
Jun 19, 2004

I do not miss the future
Just found my Gladiator replacement sitting outside my door in a tiny fedex pak.

Nothing in there but the Blu Ray in a little paper slip case, but at least it's here.

Shalkore
Oct 11, 2007

Welcome to 2012!
I figured this would be the thread to ask in. Which release of The Good The Bad and The Ugly had the best picture quality? Is the Man with no Name Trilogy boxset worth getting. I adore all three films but don't actually own any. Can you blu-ray buffs help me with a recommendation?

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

The Italian edition has much better color and lacks the noise reduction of MGM's version.

http://forums.highdefdigest.com/blu-ray-imports-subforum/92291-fistful-dollars-italian-blu-ray-group-buy-4.html#post1720029

No English audio or subs, though.

MGM's edition is junk, though. The Italian edition has color timing pretty much spot-on with the 35mm restoration print.

Egbert Souse fucked around with this message at 04:19 on Aug 20, 2010

hitze
Aug 28, 2007
Give me a dollar. No, the twenty. This is gonna blow your mind...

If you have both the Mondo and MGM discs you could always use this script to rectify that predicament. http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showpost.php?p=17366501&postcount=427.

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The Red Riding Trilogy reviewed. All 3 movies on one disc :sigh: Still, it doesn't look terrible.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
The preorder for the America Lost and Found: The BBS Story is up on Amazon. $87.49 or about $12.50 per movie. That's an amazing price but in the back of my mind, I'm thinking "wait for the Barnes & Noble sale"

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003ZYU3SC?ie=UTF8&tag=evdaisafi-20&linkCode=as2&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B003ZYU3SC

doctor thodt posted:

The Red Riding Trilogy reviewed. All 3 movies on one disc :sigh: Still, it doesn't look terrible.

I'm glad studios are starting to experiment on what they can put on a disc. Three movies on one disc is pushing it but at least they are passing on the savings, of only using one disc, to the consumer. Can't beat getting three films for $27, as long as they didn't totally gently caress up the transfers.

Call Me Charlie fucked around with this message at 07:26 on Aug 20, 2010

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

While I don't really like the idea of multiple features on one disc, just out of principle, the bitrate chart seems all over the place much moreso than most films. Tons of peaks and valleys, with peaks as high as the format currently permits (or so it seems from just eyeballing the graph). I'm guessing the encoding process was working especially hard to give the complex shots what they needed, while much more aggressively compressing what it was programmed to figure it could get away with. (This language is highly general and sucks, but I think you guys know what I mean)

I guess what I mean is that if you've just gotta fit a few movies onto one BD, that seems like the best way to do it. They should all look a heck of a lot better than they would on individual DVDs, with modern compression algorithms and a respectably higher average bitrate at least double that of the biggest features on DL DVDs, and really closer to triple since so many features are around 5GB. Not trying to start back up any kind of higher bitrate ALWAYS equals higher quality stuff from the start of the thread, you guys were right about all that, I yield - but when we're talking about BD films with average bitrates well below the industry standard in order to accomplish an unorthodox goal I think it gets interesting.

I don't know anything about the production itself so I don't know if it's something I should try to run out and get or what. At a hair under $30, the price seems at on the one hand a little high, but on the other pretty fair. High because I remember that I got Planet Earth on BD for just $20 more than that, roughly, and it has a ton of BDs in it; but fair, because three BD features would usually run closer to $60. Ultimately, though, I don't think the trade-offs are worth it.

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
October :sigh:

Moulin Rouge 10/19
Romeo + Juliet 10/19

Bill Hunt on Aliens:

quote:

Here's the deal: Everyone we trust who was involved, and/or has actually SEEN the new Aliens HD master for Blu-ray, reports to us that the film looks terrific. To the degree that DNR was used, it was applied carefully and with a light hand, with an eye toward striking the proper balance between maintaining the detail and integrity of the image and the desire to reduce grain and address the deficiencies of the stock used at the time. There is apparently STILL grain left in the image, it's just no longer excessive or distracting. Plus, Cameron is no slouch when it comes to the presentation quality of his films on disc, and he approved this transfer and master. Look, there's a VERY big difference in digital mastering when the filmmakers are directly involved in the process, as opposed to when they're not. So we're told the disc looks great, we trust that it looks great and I'll personally work to directly confirm that. My own feeling is that Predator was probably an aberration. Fox has generally been doing very good mastering work for Blu-ray in the last year or so, and I suspect this is going to be a non-issue when we all get our hands on the Aliens disc. 'Nuff said for now.

Jay Dub
Jul 27, 2009

I'm not listening
to youuuuu...

doctor thodt posted:

Bill Hunt on Aliens:

This has me very excited for the Alien collection. Any word on whether or not they'll release each film individually? If so, I'm tempted to just get Aliens.

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

Rome: The Complete Series is currently CDN$73.99 at Amazon.ca. I've never seen it that low, even on eBay, so I ordered it instantly.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

quote:

The Blu-ray release of "The Office" Season 6 will allow fans to access content like never before via BD-Live. Through their Internet-connected Blu-ray; player using BD-Live;, purchasers will now have an opportunity to watch the latest five episodes from Season Seven after they air on their home televisions. Season Seven episodes will be available in HD, pending individual Internet connection speeds.

http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/news/Office-Season-6-Extras/14286#ixzz0xASLzlIq

Now that is something I hope catches on. I wonder if they will include commercials.

FirstCongoWar
Aug 21, 2002

It feels so 80's or early 90's to be political.
I bet it's just a link to the hulu page.

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009

Egbert Souse posted:

The Italian edition has much better color and lacks the noise reduction of MGM's version.

http://forums.highdefdigest.com/blu-ray-imports-subforum/92291-fistful-dollars-italian-blu-ray-group-buy-4.html#post1720029

No English audio or subs, though.

MGM's edition is junk, though. The Italian edition has color timing pretty much spot-on with the 35mm restoration print.
drat, what a difference in colour, if only they had english audio.

Robert Analog
Feb 16, 2008

shyah

Sporadic posted:

I'm glad studios are starting to experiment on what they can put on a disc. Three movies on one disc is pushing it but at least they are passing on the savings, of only using one disc, to the consumer. Can't beat getting three films for $27, as long as they didn't totally gently caress up the transfers.

I think we had this conversation before about It's Always Sunny but I'm on the opposite end. For some reason I just feel like I'm getting less with all three movies on one disc. I'd prefer to pay a little extra and get a multi tiered case with three individual discs. Something about it also reminds me of those double/triple feature dvds you see at Walmart with like 3 horrible Chuck Norris movies on them. It'll be interesting to see how people respond though.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

The Digital Bits posted:

Both Lolita and Barry Lyndon are currently being prepared for Blu-ray Disc release by the studio in 2011. And here's the even better news: They hinted that the films are going to be available both as singles AND as part of a new Stanley Kubrick Blu-ray Collection! We're waiting on more details, and no doubt it will be a while before the release gets officially announced, but it appears that Warner plans to really do their Kubrick catalog up right on Blu-ray in the new year!

With Criterion releasing Paths of Glory, and almost certainly The Killing sometime in the not-too-distant future, things are looking sweet for Kubrick fans.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
I don't care if this is a year and a half away, I'm excited as hell.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

FitFortDanga posted:

With Criterion releasing Paths of Glory, and almost certainly The Killing sometime in the not-too-distant future, things are looking sweet for Kubrick fans.

About goddamn time, every time I go on Netflix, I am taunted with Barry Lyndon available in HD (on your TV)

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
Sorry for the double post but the Jim Henson Fantasy Film collection is the lightning deal at Amazon for the next 25 minutes.

$37.99 for Labyrinth, Mirrormask and The Dark Crystal

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002G9UHLK?ie=UTF8&tag=evdaisafi-20&linkCode=as2&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B002G9UHLK

dead dead dead

Call Me Charlie fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Aug 21, 2010

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

drat, 100% claimed already. I was going to jump on that. Oh well.

How are the BDs of those, anyway? I could pick up two of them locally for about $30. I love Labyrinth and Mirrormask, I've got them on DVD, but I haven't seen The Dark Crystal since I was a kid. I remember Mirrormask seemed like its production values weren't uniformly high even though it had some amazingly evocative imagery... Sometimes CG that isn't up to the highest standards of quality looks worse when it makes the transition to high definition, but then I remember things like the pair of living statue things that just blow me away on the DVD, and I wonder if it holds up on BD.

Agreed fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Aug 21, 2010

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Agreed posted:

drat, 100% claimed already. I was going to jump on that. Oh well.

No, it's only 1% claimed. I don't know what's going on with it. Did you try going all the way to the end of checkout to see if they took the money off at the end?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/goldbox

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

Proceeding to checkout, it wants to charge me the full $60+, and it says "Sold Out!" on my view of the lightning deal page.

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I see 100% claimed as well. Shame, that would have made for a great gift.

Agreed posted:

How are the BDs of those, anyway? I could pick up two of them locally for about $30. I love Labyrinth and Mirrormask, I've got them on DVD, but I haven't seen The Dark Crystal since I was a kid. I remember Mirrormask seemed like its production values weren't uniformly high even though it had some amazingly evocative imagery... Sometimes CG that isn't up to the highest standards of quality looks worse when it makes the transition to high definition, but then I remember things like the pair of living statue things that just blow me away on the DVD, and I wonder if it holds up on BD.

I haven't gotten around to watching Mirrormask, but Labyrinth and The Dark Crystal look like completely different films on BD. Sony did an unbelievable job with both.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Agreed posted:

Proceeding to checkout, it wants to charge me the full $60+, and it says "Sold Out!" on my view of the lightning deal page.

Weird, Opera is still showing 1% after refresh while Internet Explorer is showing 100%

Sorry about that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

doctor thodt posted:

Sony

Enough said. I'll definitely pick them up.

• Locked thread