Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

my cat is norris posted:

ssshhhhrrrruuuuggg

The non flammible gas is strong in this one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slantedfloors
Apr 29, 2008

Wait, What?

thrawn527 posted:

:confused:

Are you saying I shouldn't be rooting for Thrawn?

Well, you probably should.

But no, in general, Thrawn should not really be rooted for. Sure, if he won the galaxy would be a much much much better place, but...uh....hmmm......

Well, I'm sure there's some downsides.

Azzmo
Jul 2, 2007
STUPID MINORITIES ALWAYS MAKING ME FEEL UNCOMFORTABLE TO BE A WHITE MALE

Slantedfloors posted:

Well, you probably should.

But no, in general, Thrawn should not really be rooted for. Sure, if he won the galaxy would be a much much much better place, but...uh....hmmm......

Well, I'm sure there's some downsides.

Philosophical quandry:

Is it better to be free and miserable or guided but secure + provided for?

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
How could you even think to support Thrawn unironically? :psyduck:

He's a grand admiral for the EMPIRE. The EMPIRE

Slantedfloors
Apr 29, 2008

Wait, What?

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

True, but he's actually competent.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

If Thrawn was real and campaigned under the banner that thrawn527 has in his avatar, I think he could at least win a primary, if not the whole election. The right would love him for his military experience, and the left would love him for his appreciation of the arts.

DougieFFC
Mar 19, 2004

We are Fulham, super Fulham, we are Fulham, fuck Ch*lsea.

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

I cam across this site which details all the different tropes (storytelling devices) used within literature and other media, and has a pretty good article on the Thrawn trilogy. On Thrawn they have this to say:

quote:

Affably Evil: Thrawn and Pellaeon

A Lighter Shade Of Grey: Compared to the Imperials from the movies, and to the Imperials written by just about every other Expanded Universe author, Zahn's Imperials really aren't that bad. They're... people, who happen to be the enemies of our heroes, and who do things our heroes wouldn't do.

Thrawn is still not good people, though. He has absolutely no qualms about betraying Mara to get to Karrde in Dark Force Rising, kidnapping someone's children and delivering them to be corrupted by an Ax Crazy Complete Monster, and his military strategy involves growing his own slave soldiers by the thousands and throwing them at the Republic. Thrawn is certainly A Lighter Shade Of Grey, and he's no Card Carrying Villain, but it should always be remembered that he is a ruthless son of a bitch.

The list of devices is huge by the way, and I really enjoyed reading it.

Also, Zahn's original plans for the novel:

quote:

What Could Have Been: Originally Zahn wanted the character that became Joruus C'baoth to be an insane clone of Obi-Wan Kenobi, and the clone he unleashes on Luke at the end of The Last Command to be a clone of Darth Vader. Lucasarts (sic) vetoed both of these, which might be just as well, as it could have led to the same kind of Death Is Cheap scenario that made Dark Empire so unpopular with some fans.

Slantedfloors
Apr 29, 2008

Wait, What?

WampaLord posted:

If Thrawn was real and campaigned under the banner that thrawn527 has in his avatar, I think he could at least win a primary, if not the whole election. The right would love him for his military experience, and the left would love him for his appreciation of the arts.

And the undecided dullards would be won over by his promises of free pretzels, and perhaps beer nuts if the budget allows for it.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

DougieC posted:

I cam across this site which details all the different tropes (storytelling devices) used within literature and other media...

NO! Run, you fool, RUN!!!!

DougieC posted:

And so TV Tropes has claimed another innocent life.

AcridWhistle
Aug 20, 2003

Feasting on the flesh of a recently killed zombie probably wasn't the smartest of moves

Throb Robinson posted:

Not sure but I remember once that SOE once ported any reported credit farmers into the Nightsister instance.

Don't know but early on I remember with lag quite a few people would log back in and find themselves at (0,0) on the planet map.

Tough to make out but my character is about 20 meters in the air, this was after dieing in one of the battlegrounds maybe a few weeks after launch.

Click here for the full 1024x768 image.

Levitating creatures.

Those other pictures earlier weren't tents / camps. This was (excuse the gay manpile and horrible angles, missing the giant dome + tons of other features), the final ranger tent / camp. It was bigger than most player buildings.

DougieC posted:

According to tvtropes every plot device ever is a trope. Really. Don't believe me ? http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/Beowulf
http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/TheEpicOfGilgamesh

AcridWhistle fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Aug 19, 2010

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

AcridWhistle posted:

According to tvtropes every plot device ever is a trope. Really. Don't believe me ? http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/Beowulf

They're using the term "trope" to mean "a common or overused theme or device," not the more specific definition of "a use of figurative language."

Also, remember that TV Tropes Will Ruin Your Life, and Your Vocabulary, but interestingly it will also Enhance Your Life.

Pththya-lyi fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Aug 19, 2010

DougieFFC
Mar 19, 2004

WampaLord posted:

NO! Run, you fool, RUN!!!!

And so TV Tropes has claimed another innocent life.

I....what?

I thought it was quite good! Made me appreciate how good Zahn's novels were (I'm just done reading their bit on the Thrawn duology).

Is this a really famous website I've somehow missed through an inexplicable internet blind spot?

DougieFFC fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Aug 20, 2010

Doctor Krieger
Apr 8, 2007

...because these corporate bag-munchers owe me $630 for my GODDAMN FLEX ACCOUNT!

DougieC posted:

I....what?

I thought it was quite good! Made me appreciate how good Zahn's novels were (I'm just done reading the Thrawn duology).

Is this a really famous website I've somehow missed through an inexplicable internet blind spot?

Yes, it is well known. And it's good. But it is the ultimate timesink and some people don't like the fact it can have so drat much 'spergin on anime and fanfic.

I love it. It has stolen days of my live from me though!

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

DougieC posted:

I....what?

I thought it was quite good! Made me appreciate how good Zahn's novels were (I'm just done reading their bit on the Thrawn duology).

http://xkcd.com/609/

Exactly this has happened to us all.

DougieFFC
Mar 19, 2004

Powered Descent posted:

http://xkcd.com/609/

Exactly this has happened to us all.

I'm still on it.

I like that they thought LOTF was dogshit.

T-1000
Mar 28, 2010

Slantedfloors posted:

Didn't SOE fling hundreds of players into space one time for questioning them?
http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2004/8/25/ covers this. It reflects pretty poorly on SOE.

I never played it, but from what I heard they took one game and slowly transformed it into another that nobody liked.

Why did you have to link to TvTropes? I'd broken the habit.

T-1000 fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Aug 20, 2010

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

SOE's lowest hour (at least prior to the NGE) was when they closed one of their servers due to constant player protests. The time where the put hundreds of players into space was during one of them. What happened was that someone in the game figured out a way to dupe the in game currency in the trillions. SOE, in their brilliant wisdom decided to ban EVERYONE who had any of the duped credits. However, since there was absolutely no way for someone in game to know whether the credits were genuine they were spread all over the server as people continued to buy things and give money to other people. You could even give someone money without their consent using the /tip command and there was not a drat thing they could do about it. Everyone who had the duped credits was banned.

Mister_Eel
Jun 29, 2007

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

SOE's lowest hour (at least prior to the NGE) was when they closed one of their servers due to constant player protests. The time where the put hundreds of players into space was during one of them. What happened was that someone in the game figured out a way to dupe the in game currency in the trillions. SOE, in their brilliant wisdom decided to ban EVERYONE who had any of the duped credits. However, since there was absolutely no way for someone in game to know whether the credits were genuine they were spread all over the server as people continued to buy things and give money to other people. You could even give someone money without their consent using the /tip command and there was not a drat thing they could do about it. Everyone who had the duped credits was banned.

I swear SOE is the most incompetant company to ever make video games. I hope they burn in video game hell.

Captain von Trapp
Jan 23, 2006

I don't like it, and I'm sorry I ever had anything to do with it.
I really dislike the EU for reasons well enumerated in this thread and the last - basically, that it's usually incredibly stupid. As such I generally avoid it. Still, two books keep popping up here that most posters seem to think are pretty good. I just read one of 'em, Luke Skywalker and the Shadows of Mindor.

Good points of Shadows of Mindor:
1) Set pretty much right after ROTJ, so very little of the ridiculous baggage of the post-ROTK EU timeline is in effect. The characters are free to be basically the ones in the films.
2) Also because of its position in the timeline, very little of the ridiculous baggage of the PT is evident.
3) No crazy superweapons.
4) It's not yet another iteration of Jedi vs. Sith.
5) The villain, his motivation, and his plan are all interesting.
6) The space battles are well-written, and the action is suspenseful.

Less good points of Shadows of Mindor:
1) There is an EU tendency to treat the Force as fantasy-style magic that can be controlled and manipulated via machinery. However, the book is intelligent enough to keep it to a minimum and it turns out that the Force-controlling tech is basically alive anyway, which fits pretty well with the more mystic Force of the OT.
2) The whole thing is pretty tech-heavy by space opera standards, but at the same time the science isn't up to SF quality.
3) The plot is rather grim. This isn't bad, just a little eyebrow-raising in places.

But those are minor quibbles. It's a quite a good book. Well worth a read even if you usually hate the EU.

Gustavus
May 27, 2008

Lock up your sons and daughters.
Say what you will about SWG and SOE, but it was one of my favorite MMO experiences, and with some tweaking, I'd love to play another game like it.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Gustavus posted:

Say what you will about SWG and SOE, but it was one of my favorite MMO experiences, and with some tweaking, I'd love to play another game like it.

I loved SWG too but SOE was still god awful in every way.

Throb Robinson
Feb 8, 2010

He would enjoy administering the single antidote to Leia. He would enjoy it very much indeed..
Personally I don't blame SOE for loving up SWG. I think its Lucasarts or Lucas Ltm Or whatever SOE deals with. I mean SOE can run a MMO, The first everquest is still getting a new Expansion and still continues to have a huge crowd playing it.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Gustavus posted:

None of us are hating on SWG, just the broken creepy trading card obsessed post NGE thing that barely resembles it now.

Gustavus
May 27, 2008

Lock up your sons and daughters.

SeanBeansShako posted:

None of us are hating on SWG, just the broken creepy trading card obsessed post NGE thing that barely resembles it now.

Yeah, I had stopped playing before the NGE and tried to pick it up again a while ago but could only think to myself Why would they ruin a perfectly good game like this?

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Gustavus posted:

Yeah, I had stopped playing before the NGE and tried to pick it up again a while ago but could only think to myself Why would they ruin a perfectly good game like this?

Considering that SWG right from the start was a billion times more original that the MMO it tried to beat (Warcraft) which is the same basic RPG Light/MMO stuff just rehashed to be used friendly to a certain extent they didn't really have to do anything but some minor balancing and bug fixes with occasionally addition of related content.

SWG was doomed from the start though, being released at a time where two more prequal films had yet to be launch or just being launched and LA went completely retarded trying to push all sorts of prequal related games to get as much sales as possible.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

I actually enjoyed Rage of the Wookiees and Trials of Obi-Wan. But it was clear that Lucasarts was pushing them to do stuff.

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x38: FLOPPY_INTERNAL_ERROR

Are there any good EU books out for Kindle? When I searched for Star Wars most of it was LotF stuff, which thanks to this thread I know to stay far away from.

Also,

sniper4625 posted:

- The original R2-D2: dead, replaced by replica

When did this happen?

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

I actually enjoyed Rage of the Wookiees and Trials of Obi-Wan. But it was clear that Lucasarts was pushing them to do stuff.

The new content was great, but gently caress them for making the quest items stuff uncraftible.

The term Galactic Civl War Revamp still oddly pisses me off to this day.

T-1000
Mar 28, 2010

Kazy posted:

- The original R2-D2: dead, replaced by replica
When did this happen?
I admit, I made it up. He gets blown up at the end of ANH and miraculously restored a short period of time later. And then proceeds to not tell them anything useful that he knew from the prequels.
Also, they blew up the Death Star but the Imperials knew where the rebel base was. Rather than repairing him, it'd be a lot faster to just scrap the original R2, reformat another astromech you had lying around, and then start packing your stuff.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

T-1000 posted:

I admit, I made it up. He gets blown up at the end of ANH and miraculously restored a short period of time later. And then proceeds to not tell them anything useful that he knew from the prequels.
Also, they blew up the Death Star but the Imperials knew where the rebel base was. Rather than repairing him, it'd be a lot faster to just scrap the original R2, reformat another astromech you had lying around, and then start packing your stuff.

That does make a lot of sense.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

R2 gives Luke video recordings of Anakin and Padme in the Dark Nest trilogy.

AcridWhistle
Aug 20, 2003

Feasting on the flesh of a recently killed zombie probably wasn't the smartest of moves

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

So he just waited 35 or more years?

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

AcridWhistle posted:

So he just waited 35 or more years?

And then went HAL9000 over it.

That's literally how bad Troy Denning is.

Loopyface
Mar 22, 2003
Why didn't Luke or Leia ever ask Ghost Obi-Wan who their mother was?

Throb Robinson
Feb 8, 2010

He would enjoy administering the single antidote to Leia. He would enjoy it very much indeed..

Loopyface posted:

Why didn't Luke or Leia ever ask Ghost Obi-Wan who their mother was?

Cause until It was official in revenge of the sith Luke and Leia could give less then a poo poo who their mom was.

T-1000
Mar 28, 2010

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

I freaking hate how they shoehorn references to the prequels into the EU as the movies came out. People only made passing references to it for forty years, then it's like everyone only just remembered all those things that happened.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

T-1000 posted:

I freaking hate how they shoehorn references to the prequels into the EU as the movies came out. People only made passing references to it for forty years, then it's like everyone only just remembered all those things that happened.

My EU book actually covers this. It's about a powerful Sith named Darth Al-Zeimer who made everyone forget everything that happened up until the events of a New Hope. His goal was to buy planets everyone had forgotten about and sell them at ridiculously high prices when they were rediscovered. He is eventually defeated by the Jedi Rhett Conn.

Barudak fucked around with this message at 04:39 on Aug 20, 2010

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

T-1000 posted:

Yeah, early EU books made it seem like that era was completely purged from the galaxy. Not just records but people's memories too. Luke had to fight and dig for every single tiny little bit of information regarding the Jedi that he could find and usually considered himself lucky to find the equivalent of a doodle drawn by Yoda on a napkin.

Along comes the PT and the EU needed to shoehorn poo poo in and now everyone has a loving story or item from that era

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

Here is my Geeky Star Wars Question that's really more of a Geeky Star Wars argument but not one I feel like posting on theforce.net for the obvious reasons... How do we account for Yuuzhan Vong society being what it is during the Swarm War? I mean, I know caste system, religious zealotry, yada yada :words:, but it seems like the only ones who really do anything at all are the shapers. They don't need the warriors to fight anything out in the void between galaxies, and it's the shapers who really control every facet of life by controlling the biotech (meaning everything from clothes to ships). They should naturally become an entrenched uber-caste over the span of the few generations, which is how long they were all in deep space. What's up with EU authors not understanding social forces and dialectic materialism?

WhyteRyce posted:

Along comes the PT and the EU needed to shoehorn poo poo in and now everyone has a loving story or item from that era

Maybe they stumbled upon the Empire's version of the Soviet archives, conveniently not on Coruscant, sometime around the Terrible Bullshit Trilogy Swarm War?

yronic heroism fucked around with this message at 05:56 on Aug 20, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

I wonder what would have happened if George Lucas decided to not do the PT and allowed the EU to cover the years prior to the OT....