Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!

EC posted:

It depends on any number of things. What OS you're using, what video player you want to use, etc. VLC opens just about everything. Some people use ZoomPlayer for the various features it offers. If you're using a front-end, it might have it's own decoding engine (like XBMC) or it might rely on what codecs you have installed (like WMC).

I've never had a problem playing a file from XBMC.

XBMC has its own codes so you don't need to install anything else. And yes, VLC is a good alternative if you just want to click on a file and play it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

EC posted:

It depends on any number of things. What OS you're using, what video player you want to use, etc. VLC opens just about everything. Some people use ZoomPlayer for the various features it offers. If you're using a front-end, it might have it's own decoding engine (like XBMC) or it might rely on what codecs you have installed (like WMC).

I've never had a problem playing a file from XBMC.

Bonzo posted:

XBMC has its own codes so you don't need to install anything else. And yes, VLC is a good alternative if you just want to click on a file and play it.

I'd be using Window 7 and I'd prefer a front end as I'd like to use it with my Logitech Harmony One remote.

Into The Mild
Mar 4, 2003

Last week I bought myself a New HTPC, I went with the ASROCK ION-330HT in white. I didn't get it with the Blu-Ray player for two reasons, 1.) I cant get that in White, and 2.) I'm not going to be watching blu-ray movies

I upgraded the RAM from 2gb to 4gb, and added Windows 7 and Mediaportal with the StreamedMP Skin, Sabnzbd, and Sickbeard.

I personally have always really liked the streamedMP skin for Mediaportal, because it adds soo much more.. but this isnt that thread.

The ION-330HT is an amazing HTPC, its small, really really quiet, and handles 1080p with subtitles via DXVA like a dream.

Heres some pictures

Eventually I will add in a new external hdd enclosure like this ICY BOX One.. something with multiple drives via the same esata cable would be fantastic, as my 2TB is getting quite filled up

Into The Mild fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Aug 19, 2010

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Mr. Apollo posted:

I'd be using Window 7 and I'd prefer a front end as I'd like to use it with my Logitech Harmony One remote.

You can do this with XBMC. You'll need to purchase a cheap MS media center remote with an IR reciever. You can then program your harmony with the other remote.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Bonzo posted:

You can do this with XBMC. You'll need to purchase a cheap MS media center remote with an IR reciever. You can then program your harmony with the other remote.
OK cool. My other question then would be if I'm just goign to be using this to play video files, will one of these prebuilt Atom/ION HTPCs be OK or should I be looking at building my own? They say they can handle up to 1080p content. I'm not going to be gaming on it, not going to be watching Flash videos on it, just watching stuff I've downloaded.

Mr. Apollo fucked around with this message at 01:27 on Aug 20, 2010

Xythar
Dec 22, 2004

echoes of a contemporary nation
I have an Aspire Revo R3610 and it works fine. I run XBMC on it, have uTorrent and a bunch of other things going in the background and do Internet browsing on it occasionally and it's pretty responsive overall for the specs.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Xythar posted:

I have an Aspire Revo R3610 and it works fine. I run XBMC on it, have uTorrent and a bunch of other things going in the background and do Internet browsing on it occasionally and it's pretty responsive overall for the specs.

If you're just using a HTPC for watching movies, is there any reason why you'd want a C2D/i3/i5 based system? I understand it would obviously be more powerful but it'll also be bigger, more expensive, and maybe louder.

I just want to make sure I'm not overlooking something obvious here before I go out an buy one of these systems.

Lolcano Eruption
Oct 29, 2007
Volcano of LOL.
I want the cheapest way to be able to playback 1080p videos, record cable TV, and stream netflix. Is a HTPC for me?

Xythar
Dec 22, 2004

Mr. Apollo posted:

If you're just using a HTPC for watching movies, is there any reason why you'd want a C2D/i3/i5 based system? I understand it would obviously be more powerful but it'll also be bigger, more expensive, and maybe louder.

I just want to make sure I'm not overlooking something obvious here before I go out an buy one of these systems.

Only if you want to do your decoding without hardware acceleration. The Atom can decode 1080p just fine as long as you use a player that supports GPU acceleration / offloading (recent versions of XBMC for either Linux or Windows do, as does the latest VLC).

Basically no, you don't need one of those processors and an Ion-based system will do you fine and will have a massive advantage in size, energy usage and noise. My Revo is a little smaller than the Wii, is barely audible over the sound of my fridge from all the way across the room and apparently uses something like 27W to run.

Lolcano Eruption posted:

I want the cheapest way to be able to playback 1080p videos, record cable TV, and stream netflix. Is a HTPC for me?

Depends what format your videos are in and how much additional functionality / interface you want. There is probably a PVR that does those things for cheaper.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Xythar posted:

Only if you want to do your decoding without hardware acceleration. The Atom can decode 1080p just fine as long as you use a player that supports GPU acceleration / offloading (recent versions of XBMC for either Linux or Windows do, as does the latest VLC).

Basically no, you don't need one of those processors and an Ion-based system will do you fine and will have a massive advantage in size, energy usage and noise. My Revo is a little smaller than the Wii, is barely audible over the sound of my fridge from all the way across the room and apparently uses something like 27W to run.
So it sounds like I could buy something like a Revo, install XBMC, get a cheap MS media center remote so I can have the IR receiver and I'm good to go. Is that right?

Xythar
Dec 22, 2004

Mr. Apollo posted:

So it sounds like I could buy something like a Revo, install XBMC, get a cheap MS media center remote so I can have the IR receiver and I'm good to go. Is that right?

That's what I've done, although I have no Harmony so I'm using the media centre remote as well via EventGhost.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Xythar posted:

My Revo is a little smaller than the Wii, is barely audible over the sound of my fridge from all the way across the room and apparently uses something like 27W to run.

What a coincidence my Revo is the same way! :D

Xythar
Dec 22, 2004

No way! We should be Revo buddies.

clockworx
Oct 15, 2005
The Internet Whore made me buy this account
I have a Zotac Ion. Can I play too? :smith:

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Xythar posted:

That's what I've done, although I have no Harmony so I'm using the media centre remote as well via EventGhost.

I've been lazy in getting an IR remote so I've just been using the wireless mouse and don't really have any complaints. I'm still using the batteries it came with 6 months ago.

blankooie
Jul 21, 2009

clockworx posted:

I have a Zotac Ion. Can I play too? :smith:

I have a zotac ion! I was a very early adopter. I've run mine overclocked in a hot enclosure (180-190 degree cpu temps) for MONTHS at a time with USB tv tuners. She still runs like a dream today.

ozmunkeh
Feb 28, 2008

hey guys what is happening in this thread
I've used the PS3 as a media player for the last couple years but had to drag out my old Xbox over the weekend to watch a region 3 DVD. I also have a whole bunch of R2 DVDs I've been unable to watch for a while (no, I'm not buying them all again on Blu-Ray!)

Anyway, it reminded me how awesome XBMC was and how much I missed having a proper library available. I've read back a few pages and it seems the ASRock ION330-HT is perfect. I'd go for an Acer Revo 3610 but I want a DVD drive, so..

Couple questions before I take the plunge:

1. I'd rather not waste the cash on a Windows license for this machine - how's the linux support?
2. Can I region-hack the DVD drive it comes with? If it can't I'm sure I can find one but I'd rather avoid the hassle.

Trustworthy
Dec 28, 2004

with catte-like thread
upon our prey we steal

Is there any reason the Lenovo Multimedia Remote/Keyboard nano dongle wouldn't work on a USB extension cable? In my experience USB extensions can be flaky and weird sometimes.

I get okay reception to my HPTC across a room and through a wall, but I wouldn't mind improving the situation (i.e., snaking the dongle through the wall so it's in the same room as the remote, which would eliminate about five feet of distance).

EDIT: NEVERMIND! I remembered that I had an old Monoprice USB Active Extension / Repeater Cable lying around, and it works great. Now my nano dongle :laugh: is quite a bit closer, and reception is great.

Trustworthy fucked around with this message at 14:05 on Aug 24, 2010

jink
May 8, 2002

Drop it like it's Hot.
Taco Defender
I know the Revo is the wanted item in this thread. Are there any thoughts on the Shuttle XS35GT?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16856101099

ION2 with a drive.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Looks nice. I think I would rather have a BD drive then DVD-RW. Also, the Revo has a SATA port so you can connect an external drive (2TB in my case).

Also it ships with no OS so unless you want to run Linux you'll have to shell out for a Win7 license.

Also, there is no keyboard and mouse.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

jink posted:

I know the Revo is the wanted item in this thread. Are there any thoughts on the Shuttle XS35GT?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16856101099

ION2 with a drive.

It seems like a nice thingamajig.

Guess it all depends on whether you want an optical drive enough to justify the extra $50 over the Revo 3610.

Sulphuric Sundae
Feb 10, 2006

You can't go in there.
Your father is dead.
About 6 months ago, I posted about how I got the cheap Kworld USB tuner (UB435-Q) and it was working great for me. Well, I had to reinstall Windows 7, had the TV working in WMC last night, turned it off to update. Turned it on this morning, and now every time I try to watch TV, it plays the channel for a split second with no sound, then gives me this error: "Files needed to display video are not installed."
Reinstalled the drivers for the tuner a couple times, and tried it with Kworld's software (which worked) and MediaPortal (which unfortunately doesn't play TV well enough on my Acer Revo 1600 to let it replace WMC, but still played something).
I haven't tried the nVidia drivers yet, but that's next. I don't want to drop $60 on a better TV tuner if this issue isn't related. Any ideas?

anothertenbux
Aug 17, 2010

by Fistgrrl
Are there any good up to date guides on building an HTPC? The ones in the OP are from 2008 or earlier and the only continuously updated one (on the AVS forums) is an enormous newbie-unfriendly monster.

In particular, I'm interested in off the shelf small form factor HTPCs where I could connect them up to some external HDs and then stream movies and TV shows over wifi to my laptop, iPhone or PS3.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

anothertenbux posted:

Are there any good up to date guides on building an HTPC? The ones in the OP are from 2008 or earlier and the only continuously updated one (on the AVS forums) is an enormous newbie-unfriendly monster.

In particular, I'm interested in off the shelf small form factor HTPCs where I could connect them up to some external HDs and then stream movies and TV shows over wifi to my laptop, iPhone or PS3.

Are you actually going to have the HTPC hooked up to your TV? You're describing more of a server to stream to your laptop, iPhone and PS3

anothertenbux
Aug 17, 2010

by Fistgrrl
My TV is a Dell 2406WFP that already has my laptop, PS3, Wii and TV running into it. I'd like to be able to have an HTPC connected to the monitor as well (I have a spare DVI and a spare DP socket) so I can use that to browse and play my movies. At the same time, I'd like to be able to use my laptop to access movies on the HTPC if I'm in the bedroom over wifi or use the PS3 to stream stuff from the HTPC if I'm on the sofa and can't be bothered to get up to change the input etc.

So really I'm looking for a joint HTPC/server, if that makes sense?

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

anothertenbux posted:

My TV is a Dell 2406WFP that already has my laptop, PS3, Wii and TV running into it. I'd like to be able to have an HTPC connected to the monitor as well (I have a spare DVI and a spare DP socket) so I can use that to browse and play my movies. At the same time, I'd like to be able to use my laptop to access movies on the HTPC if I'm in the bedroom over wifi or use the PS3 to stream stuff from the HTPC if I'm on the sofa and can't be bothered to get up to change the input etc.

So really I'm looking for a joint HTPC/server, if that makes sense?

Pretty much any HTPC will be able to do this if it has a network card. Just share the folder with your media and you're done.

Lolcano Eruption
Oct 29, 2007
Volcano of LOL.

Xythar posted:

Depends what format your videos are in and how much additional functionality / interface you want. There is probably a PVR that does those things for cheaper.

Which PVRs have the ability to record cable TV? And what part do I need for a HTPC to record shows?

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Lolcano Eruption posted:

Which PVRs have the ability to record cable TV?

That's what a Tivo's whole purpose is.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Lolcano Eruption posted:

Which PVRs have the ability to record cable TV? And what part do I need for a HTPC to record shows?

Your cable company should have a PVR/Cable box you can use. Or you can get a capture card or USB device to latch onto your HTPC.

Keep in mind that most cable companies, like Rogers in :canada:, won't let you record HD content unless you are using their PVR. If you live in a rather good sized city, just leave out the cable box all together and get your HD signal from over the air.

Kynetx
Jan 8, 2003

Full of ignorant tribalism. Kinda sad.
Don't forget about cable cards.

DarkSol
May 18, 2006

Gee, I wish we had one of them doomsday machines.

Zotac just released two new boxes of their own. Any opinions of these would be good for an HTPC or not?

ZBOX HD-ND22

ZBOX HD-NS21

Citycop
Apr 11, 2005

Greetings, Rainbow Dash.

I will now sing for you a song that I hope will ease your performance anxiety.
I haven't built a computer in 10 years and trying to figure out what is compatible and what's better is really difficult. My goal is to get a small quiet system that plays 1080p for as little $$ as possible.

I am looking at this Jetway book system on newegg:

Jetway Mini-TOP HBJC600C99-52W-BW Intel Atom D525 CPU NM10 Next-Generation NVIDIA ION with dedicated 512MB DDR3 Barebone System
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16856107072

Call me crazy but Newegg is a bit vauge on the details of the system. Best I can figure 'barebones' means no HDD or Memory.

Soooo..

4GB of ram:
Crucial 4GB 200-Pin DDR2 SO-DIMM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Laptop Memory Model CT51264AC800
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820148288

and a SSD:
OCZ Vertex Series OCZSSD2-1VTX60G 2.5" 60GB SATA II MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820227394

Total price $466.98 without OS

Will this system run Win7 64 bit?
Is there a good performance boost there as opposed to the 32 bit?
Can I build a better full size system for this price?

Kynetx
Jan 8, 2003

Well, 4 gigs for an HTPC might be a bit of overkill, but it certainly won't hurt. 64-bit Windows will get you no performance benefits outside of being able to use 4+ gigs of RAM. I believe the driver model for 64-bit is a little different, but I don't recall exactly how or what the benefit is. I have a vague recollection of a stability benefit, but I very well may be wrong.

An SSD is also kind of pointless for this application. Arguments could certainly be made for it, i.e. faster boot, faster application load times, etc, but the size is going to be a major issue unless you plan on streaming off a server. It will certainly be quieter though.
Since money is an issue, I'd recommend ditching the SSD and getting a Caviar Green or some other low-power drive. They are typically quieter (and hard drives are pretty quiet these days anyway) by vitue of a lesser rotational speed. I think. Even though that's a really good price for that SSD, you get a 33,333.33% size increase by going to the mechanical drive for the same money. If you go to a 640-gig Caviar Green the price drops to $55.00.

Citycop
Apr 11, 2005

Greetings, Rainbow Dash.

Kynetx posted:

Well, 4 gigs for an HTPC might be a bit of overkill, but it certainly won't hurt. 64-bit Windows will get you no performance benefits outside of being able to use 4+ gigs of RAM. I believe the driver model for 64-bit is a little different, but I don't recall exactly how or what the benefit is. I have a vague recollection of a stability benefit, but I very well may be wrong.

An SSD is also kind of pointless for this application. Arguments could certainly be made for it, i.e. faster boot, faster application load times, etc, but the size is going to be a major issue unless you plan on streaming off a server. It will certainly be quieter though.
Since money is an issue, I'd recommend ditching the SSD and getting a Caviar Green or some other low-power drive. They are typically quieter (and hard drives are pretty quiet these days anyway) by vitue of a lesser rotational speed. I think. Even though that's a really good price for that SSD, you get a 33,333.33% size increase by going to the mechanical drive for the same money. If you go to a 640-gig Caviar Green the price drops to $55.00.

Thanks for the input.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

4gb of ram and an SSD is way overkill for an HTPC. An SSD will speed up the launching of applications, but the whole idea of an HTPC is that you're going to launch the frontend software like XBMC or Windows Media Center and leave it on, not constantly relaunching applications. You can even get buy with no HDD and just use a flash drive for storage if you're gonna using something like XBMC.

If you want to get a pre-built system, the HTPC favorite Acer Aspire Revo for $329 or the Lenovo IdeaCentre Q150 for $358 are both complete solutions that have wireless keyboards/mice, wifi, and nVidia ION chipsets that will handle GPU decoding in XBMC windows or linux. It'll probably be cheaper and easier to go that route.

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

One argument that can be made for SSD in HTPC would be that they make no noise.

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland
is anybody using the Lian Li PC-C34F HTPC case.

Or the Zalman HD503

They're both a little more than I want to spend ideally but I'm a big fan of both brands and I really want something with hot-swap bays.

Are there better alternatives I should look at? I'm a little concerned because the video card I'm using is somewhat large, it's an eVGA 7950gt ko that I had in my old computer before I rebuilt.

Citycop
Apr 11, 2005

Greetings, Rainbow Dash.

BorderPatrol posted:

4gb of ram and an SSD is way overkill for an HTPC. An SSD will speed up the launching of applications, but the whole idea of an HTPC is that you're going to launch the frontend software like XBMC or Windows Media Center and leave it on, not constantly relaunching applications. You can even get buy with no HDD and just use a flash drive for storage if you're gonna using something like XBMC.

If you want to get a pre-built system, the HTPC favorite Acer Aspire Revo for $329 or the Lenovo IdeaCentre Q150 for $358 are both complete solutions that have wireless keyboards/mice, wifi, and nVidia ION chipsets that will handle GPU decoding in XBMC windows or linux. It'll probably be cheaper and easier to go that route.

There reviews say they studder with HD content, that's a pretty big deal killer for me but I don't want to spend $1000 on a custom built to do what a $90 device can do (Seagate FreeAgent Theater+)

Edit: Just saw some info on the Popcorn Hour C200 for the first time. It's $300 and promises to do everything that I want my HTPC to do, including newsgroup access, in HD with no hassle.

Citycop fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Sep 2, 2010

Kynetx
Jan 8, 2003

KKKLIP ART posted:

One argument that can be made for SSD in HTPC would be that they make no noise.

Yes, beyond a doubt, but hard drives are getting pretty quiet. Honestly, I think that money is best spent elsewhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

portable s0n
Jun 2, 2008
When I first built my machine there was no issues but recently I have had some "tearing" or dropped frames, I am not sure how to describe it. I took some youtube video and you can kind of make it out

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JHtvEY2blZ0

These are the specs

Intel BOXDH57JG LGA 1156 Intel H57 HDMI Mini ITX Intel Motherboard
Core i530
2GB ram
Windows 7 x64
1TB drive and 1 500GB Drive

I thought it might be heat so I took out one drive and left the case open but still the same problem. Has the latest drivers from intel. Latest nightly of dharma build multiple times.Happens with DXVA and without. Happens on all different bitrate files.

Could it just be pure power? I thought this chip should be able to pretty much eat up 1080p.I also tried the Live CD with no success, just kept crashing under INTEL video.