Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!
When hobby threads meets E/N:

So I'm happily start to finish up work on my German WW1 bomber, a 1/144 AEG G IV, the most nefarious kit I've ever seen. It took three attempts, intense drilling and many many hours to even put it together. But finally, I'm about to paint the last details on it and attach transfers.

Cue GF throws a PMS fit about a complete nonsense issue(in this case, my vegetarianism, and what an insane hurdle it is for her, while curiously enough I'm the one who cooks for us both) and storms off, bumping everything on the table over.

Fffffffffffffffffffffff

The plane was completely smashed, every single strut was torn off and disorted, one of them broken completely in two. I might be able to put it back together somewhat, but seriously, there are hundreds of miniatures in my house that I'd rather her break than this one.

I need a hobby room. :smith:

On a more positive note I'm about to finish up my Peninsular 28mm Brits, I'll probably finish early next week. And then I'll get some 15mm Sassanids and Mongols to paint.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LintMan
Mar 12, 2006
Be seening you
Polish Lancers? Close but very far from what they are. They are Prussian Landwehr Cav basically militia on horses.

Miniatures are from Calpe Miniatures. My order arrived last week and I have a battery of cannons, unit of Musketeers, unit of Landwehr, Generals and some rifle armed jaegers for skirmish markers. The Landwehr cav is first on the painting table.

LintMan fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Aug 8, 2010

No Pun Intended
Jul 23, 2007

DWARVEN SEX OFFENDER

ASK ME ABOUT TONING MY FINE ASS DWARVEN BOOTY BY RUNNING FROM THE COPS OUTSIDE THAT ELF KINDERGARTEN

BEHOLD THE DONG OF THE DWARVES! THE DWARVEN DONG IS COMING!
I was in a different games store (since I am out of town) and one of the staff had Blitzkrieg out, so I took a look and we got discussing.

The polish can get an armoured train for about 700 points. You pick a point on the table and your opponent does likewise, the track is run between these point and you train rumbles up and down it during the game.

I can't wait to model it, guess it looks like I might be doing poles for my first EW army (I was kind of eyeing up the french).

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

No Pun Intended posted:

I was in a different games store (since I am out of town) and one of the staff had Blitzkrieg out, so I took a look and we got discussing.

The polish can get an armoured train for about 700 points. You pick a point on the table and your opponent does likewise, the track is run between these point and you train rumbles up and down it during the game.

I can't wait to model it, guess it looks like I might be doing poles for my first EW army (I was kind of eyeing up the french).

This is pretty much what could get me into Flames of War.

Anyway, I finished my British 27th Inniskilling Regiment of Foot. I totally weaseled out in the end and used the paper flags that came with the box instead of something more ambitious. I'm kind of torn about the whole painting experience as I didn't really felt that motivated while doing it and painting tons of uniforms got kind of dull, but I do like how they look together once painted:

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

lilljonas posted:

I need a hobby room. new girlfriend :smith:

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

Plastic Greek Hoplite upcoming frenzy ITT

http://www.victrixlimited.com/news-66-8th-August-Greek-Hoplites-sets

http://www.immortalminiatures.com/plastichoplites.html

I really shouldn't consider it, but this could be a nice project for next year.

Chenghiz
Feb 14, 2007

WHITE WHALE
HOLY GRAIL

lilljonas posted:

These look fantastic. Quick, someone move to Indiana and pick up Black Powder so I have an excuse to buy some Napoleonics!

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

Chenghiz posted:

These look fantastic. Quick, someone move to Indiana and pick up Black Powder so I have an excuse to buy some Napoleonics!

Thanks! The fact that I don't even know if anyone in my whole country plays 28mm napoleonics is a convenient reason for me not to dwelve any deeper in these. Which is kind of a shame given that I can't think of any other period with just as much support in plastic kits for 28mm right now.

big_g
Sep 24, 2004

Our young men will have to shoot down their young men at the rate of four to one, if we're to keep pace at all.
Those Perry Redcoats look awesome. I'm impressed as well you've done the whole lot. I've still three to finish off and I'm only doing the 5 stands.

That FoW tournament looks like a load of fun. Its always impressive to see fully painted armies on excellent terrain.

Here is the Panzer II.

I need to Dullcoat it (Any suggestions I've yet to find a good one.) and then weather the tracks and lower half.

R.S. Gumby
Jul 26, 2007

Utterly useless.
Just finished an Ottoman army for DBA. IV/55b to be more precise.

These are Essex 15mm. Not exactly a big army, just 12 stands, which means no options. Next DBA army I'll throw paint at is III/19b Welsh, which means a shitload of bows. I just got some Armenians which are tempting to do, for an Ottoman-Armenian grudge match, but the Welsh are all based and undercoated already. My goal is to have them done before the end of august, but I've got an oath to finish as well.

...and those are some gorgeous brits, lilljonas

Chenghiz
Feb 14, 2007

WHITE WHALE
HOLY GRAIL

big_g posted:

I need to Dullcoat it (Any suggestions I've yet to find a good one.) and then weather the tracks and lower half.
I've been using Testors Dullcote on my 40k stuff and it's worked out well, no frosting so far.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
From the Lego thread:

Skellyscribe
Jan 14, 2008
See how yond justice rails upon yond simple thief. Hark in thine ear: change places and, handy-dandy, which is the justice, which is the thief?
^^^ Incredible. I recognize some of those pieces from childhood.

big_g posted:

Hahaha I was so confused at first, I'm used to seeing models of much larger tanks and I thought that some experimental gigantic Nazi ubermensch was pushing his way out of the hatch to wreak havoc.

big_g
Sep 24, 2004

Our young men will have to shoot down their young men at the rate of four to one, if we're to keep pace at all.

Chenghiz posted:

I've been using Testors Dullcote on my 40k stuff and it's worked out well, no frosting so far.

Its quite hard to get Testors Dull Coat over here but I think I have sourced some. So you use the spray? And over gloss varnish?

I used the stuff out the tub straight onto acrylic and it didn't work out too well.

Chenghiz
Feb 14, 2007

WHITE WHALE
HOLY GRAIL

big_g posted:

Its quite hard to get Testors Dull Coat over here but I think I have sourced some. So you use the spray? And over gloss varnish?

I used the stuff out the tub straight onto acrylic and it didn't work out too well.

Yeah, I use the small(ish) spray cans. I am actually lazy and don't gloss varnish first so I can't really tell you if it works well over that.

big_g
Sep 24, 2004

Chenghiz posted:

Yeah, I use the small(ish) spray cans. I am actually lazy and don't gloss varnish first so I can't really tell you if it works well over that.

Oh cool it doesn't gently caress the acrylic then?

Chenghiz
Feb 14, 2007

WHITE WHALE
HOLY GRAIL

big_g posted:

Oh cool it doesn't gently caress the acrylic then?

Definitely not.

big_g
Sep 24, 2004

Here's a few more shots of the pretty much now finished Panzer II

And with the WIP MECHA-NAZI

My current display cabinet

And one showing how tiny this thing is in comparison to a Tiger. Amazing how much bigger these things got over such a small period of time.

R.S. Gumby
Jul 26, 2007

Utterly useless.
My Welsh are done!

It's an army for DBA; III19b Welsh. Not exactly spectacular. The army has no options, so just 12 stands, and it's pretty drat heavy on the bows, but that's partly why I got them, as the bows will be useful in a couple of other armies.

DBA purists might notice they're 4Bw, whereas the army list has them as 3Bw, but I like the look of 4 models per base better. In DBA there's no difference ruleswise. Plus, if/when I ever expand my medievals for Field of Glory, I'm pretty sure 4Bw will be more useful.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

R.S. Gumby posted:

My Welsh are done!

It's an army for DBA; III19b Welsh. Not exactly spectacular. The army has no options, so just 12 stands, and it's pretty drat heavy on the bows, but that's partly why I got them, as the bows will be useful in a couple of other armies.

DBA purists might notice they're 4Bw, whereas the army list has them as 3Bw, but I like the look of 4 models per base better. In DBA there's no difference ruleswise. Plus, if/when I ever expand my medievals for Field of Glory, I'm pretty sure 4Bw will be more useful.

drat that's a lot of bows. Well done though! Speaking of DBA, my three armies from Essex finally arrived: Sassanid Persians, Mongol Conquest and Scottish Commons (which are for a club mate). I'm pretty positively surprised by the quality, they look significantly better than the pictures on the website as well as the many poorly painted Essex armies online that sort of put me off the company before. Now I'll just have to decide which army to paint up first!

Sassanids + Mongols makes for a ton of horses though...

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

R.S. Gumby posted:

My Welsh are done!

Every time I see this kind of thing it makes me want to make a DBA army in 10mil or similar. I'd love to be able to do full armies in the time it'd take me to do a platoon of FoW or a single 40k unit.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

Arquinsiel posted:

Every time I see this kind of thing it makes me want to make a DBA army in 10mil or similar. I'd love to be able to do full armies in the time it'd take me to do a platoon of FoW or a single 40k unit.

I've painted 15mm DBA armies in two weeks, which is kind of the same time I take for a 28mm unit. Hint: do infantry armies like vikings, celts or something with a lot of pikemen.

Tamir Lenk
Nov 25, 2009

De Bellis Multitudinis (DBM) (Of the Wars of the Multitude)

DBM is a ruleset for table-top miniatures wargames for the period 3000 BC to 1485 AD. It is the big boy version of DBA.

Obviously, DBM works to recreate large battles. Players chose armies from 4 published Army List books using a points system to select roughly equal armies. The Army Lists fall into these basic periods:

Book 1 – Biblical Period 3000 BC – 500 BC. Egyptians, Assyrians, Hebrews, Trojan War, Xiang and Zhou Dynasty, etc. Loads of chariots, primitive cavalry.

Book 2 – Classical Period 500 BC – 476 AD. Greeks, Macedonians, Romans, Warring States and Han Chinese. Ends with the fall of the Roman Empire.

Book 3 – Dark Ages 476 AD – 1071 AD. Vikings, Carolingians, Arab Conquest and Empire, Tang Dynasty Chinese, Early Samurai. Ends with Manzikert just before the Crusades.

Book 4 – Medieval Period 1071 AD – 1500 AD. Crusades (Outremer and Northern Crusades, Mongols, Ottomans, 100 Years' War, Wars of the Roses. Ends at the start of the Renaissance.

DBM was the universal competition ruleset for Ancients from about 1993 until 2008.

Competitions generally were open, in that any army could face any other (e.g., WotR English vs. New Kingdom Egyptians). Standard tournament "orders of battle" (OB) were 400 AP for singles and 500 AP for doubles.

DBM went through several revisions to address gimmicky bullshit that emerged from tournament play. By the end, it became a very balanced yet bland set of rules. Despite the extensive balancing efforts balance, the authors could never eliminate certain core problems in the rules, especially cheesy geometry problems, without changing fundamental elements of the rules. Competitive Ancients has more or less migrated to Field of Glory, though many in the hobby still play DBM.

Field of Glory (FoG)

Field of Glory is a game of historical battles, currently ranging from biblical era to the age of early firearms. Field of Glory Renaissance is in beta stage, and will start to cover a couple of centuries after that.

FoG is one of the most discussed releases of historical games the last couple of years, for two reasons. First of all, it is backed by Osprey Publishing, universally known amongst historical geeks for their gazillion books on military history. Its authors include Richard Bodley Scott (co-author of DBM), and Nik Gaukroger, James Hamilton and Paul Robinson, veterans of the British competitive Ancients scene.

FoG eliminates much of the geometry that hindered DBM and breaks elements down by type, armor, quality, drill, and weapon type. In many ways it is a hybrid of the DBM element system and earlier WRG wargames. Like DBM it uses a standard points system and works well for competition. Armies run from 650 points for starter armies to 1000 points for large games. Standard competition armies are 800 points for 15mm, 650 points for 25mm.

FoG army lists are divided into sourcebooks with a major theme, like "armies around Middle East during the Crusades" or "Dark Age armies in North-West Europe." Tournaments are still open, but there are often "theme events" that restrict players to certain books and/or time periods (e.g., Classical, Biblical, High Medieval, etc.)

Even if the ruleset is pretty new the army books have been released with an impressive speed, and, with the publication of the Lost Scrolls, all popular historical armies are covered.

Armies in FoG are made out of Battlegroups (BGs), usually 4 to 8 bases, with 2 to 4 miniatures on most bases. A starter army can easily be 100 miniatures or more. The basing system is the same as for DBx. The game system can be used with any scale, though 15mm is the most popular for tournament play, followed by 25/28mm.

Units are far more detailed in FoG than DBA/DBM. Each stand in a BG has the following designations:

Type – LF, MF, HF, Cav, Kn, El, etc.

This is what the stand is and affects how you deal with terrain, move distance, combat dice, etc.

Armour – Unprotected, Protected, Armoured, Heavily Armoured

Armour factors into your ability to withstand shooting and perform in melee.

Quality – Poor, Average, Superior, Elite.

This reflects both morale and combat power by allowing (or requiring) rerolls. Elites reroll 1s and 2s, Superiors reroll 1s, and Poor reroll 6s

Training - Drilled, Undrilled

This affects your ability to carry out complex maneuvers such as expansions and contractions, turning face, etc.

Shooting Capability
– Bows, Crossbows, Firearms, etc.

Troops with these can (you guessed it) shoot. Basic shooting is 4" for standard range, 6" for long range. Some troops only shoot 2" (e.g., Javelins, Firearms).

Impact Capability
– Impact Foot, Lancers, Light Spear, etc.

Troops with these abilities are better when charging/receiving charges, but may not be so good in melee phases (e.g., Gallic Warbands, Viking Raiders).

Melee Capability
– Swordsmen, Skilled Swordsmen

These troops will be tougher in melee but (absent an impact capability) may have difficulty getting past the impact phase.

Ultimately, FoG has more stats to keep track of, but the subcategories make different armies feel different and allows more nuance than the broader troop types of DBM.

Certain troop types are especially popular and tournament players use the following shorthand:

"Proper Knights" = Kn/HvyArm/Superior/Undr/Lance/Sword. Your standard tin can.

"Shooty Cav" = Cv/Arm/Superior/Dr/Bw/Sword. Ghulams, Spahis, Mongol Heavy Cav, etc. The core troops of many Arab and Asian armies.

"Psiloi" = LF/UnProt/Average/Undr (or Dr – doesn't matter for LF)/Bw = basic skirmishing archers. Ps(O) in DBM.

Army building is easy and many DBM armies will have enough stands to become a FoG army. FoG armies tend to be slightly larger than DBM armies, so a lot of DBM players have had to add a few stands to fill out BGs.

Battlegroups also come in variable sizes, like 6-12 bases, and your army will usually have a maximum amount of every troop type. So you pick your Battlegroups, you kit them out like you want, and you choose the quality of your commanders. Basic tips on BG selection and size are small for maneuver, large for staying power. So mounted BGs are almost always in 4s. Infantry are usually 6-8 stands, though some players have used "swarms" of small BGs (especially drilled/armoured) with great success.

If you want to add some colour to your army you can usually add allies from other related lists. Allies, and even some troop choices, will be based on historical dates. So your Crusader army might or might not be able to have Saracen allies depending on what year you play. And you might or might not have access to unit choices depending on dates. A typical example is a Carthaginian army that can have Elephants at first, but once Hannibal has been rampaging around Rome for a while he loses that choice but gets access to imitation legionnaires and heavily armoured Gauls instead.

Manouvers in the game are also more complicated than DBA/DBM. Moves have a level of complication that are dependent on what unit type you have and whether they are drilled or not: everyone can walk forward without problem, but while drilled skirmishers have no problem waltzing in eights in difficult terrain, just trying to wheel twice can be tough on undrilled pikemen or elephants. You'll need to roll command rolls to do difficult things, and here it makes a difference if you have an Inspired Commander like Julius Caesar or Hannibal babysitting your troops or if you just picked up some backwater bum of a sergeant.

Combat is also more complicated, and is all about bonuses and maluses. Everything that tips the combat in your favour adds to your dice rolls on the attack: outnumbering your opponent, flanking them, having better armour or having a preferable choice of weaponry. Unlike Warhammer or DBM a winning result will usually not kill enemy bases. Instead, combat focuses on forcing the enemy to take "Cohesion Tests" that push them down a ladder of morale if failed. Reductions in cohesion take a BG from Steady to Disrupted to Fragmented to Broken. Each cohesion drop makes the BG worse at fighting. Broken troops rout and are considered dead unless they bolster before routing off the table. Thus you are usually involved in slow drag-out battles of attrition between big infantry blocks, which is very true to the Ancient battlefield.

FoG Resources

In addition to the rules and army books, there are a number of resources on the Internets for painting guides, tactical advice, etc. Some of the better ones include:

Field of Glory Resource Page - http://www.fieldofglory.com/onthefieldofglory.php

This is the publisher's collection of errata, quick reference sheets, scoring aids, etc. It includes the excellent army list generator, a snazzy Excel sheet for calculating your OB.

Slitherine Forums - http://www.slitherine.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=20

These are the official FoG forums with active discussions on painting, collecting, tournaments, tactics, etc.

Madaxeman - http://www.madaxeman.com

This site has several sections dedicated to FoG, including a wiki with guides for choosing and playing various armies, painting, figure manufacturers, sample OBs, tournament results, etc.

Tournaments

Again, like DBM before it, FoG really works best for competitive play. The UK has the most robust tournament scene, but there are many tournaments in North America with fat, sweaty wargamers to fuel them. Some of the major events include:

The International Wargames Federation (IWF) World Championship

This is the "World Cup" of Ancients Wargaming. It is held in the Spring each year in a different location. It came to the U.S. in 2003 (New Orleans) and 2009 (DC). For 2011, the IWF will be in Wellington, New Zealand. http://www.iwf2011.org

HMGS/Historicon

Historicon is the mother of all historical miniatures conventions and the annual mega-convention held by Historical Miniature Gaming Society (HMGS). http://www.hmgs.org.

Historicon hosts several tournaments, including an Open Event permitting all armies and a Theme permitting armies within some pre-defined region/time period (e.g., Punic Wars). It is held each year in July. http://www.historicon.org

HMGS has other annual conventions with tournaments, including Little Wars (April near Chicago); Cold Wars (March/April in Lancaster, PA), Fall In! (October in Lancaster, PA)

Bayou Wars

Bayou Wars is a wargaming convention held each summer near New Orleans. We have a wide variety of historical and science fiction/fantasy wargames run by area gamers. In addition, there are merchants, special guests, contests and more. Basically a smaller version of Historicon. The FoG tournament there closes a circuit of other tournaments and awards the Gulf South Champion Trophy.

R.S. Gumby
Jul 26, 2007

Utterly useless.

lilljonas posted:

drat that's a lot of bows. Well done though! Speaking of DBA, my three armies from Essex finally arrived: Sassanid Persians, Mongol Conquest and Scottish Commons (which are for a club mate). I'm pretty positively surprised by the quality, they look significantly better than the pictures on the website as well as the many poorly painted Essex armies online that sort of put me off the company before. Now I'll just have to decide which army to paint up first!
Essex is quite good, at least when factoring in their price and the huge range. There are duds like bad sculpts or monopose troops, not surprising considering their huge assortment. Probably their older stuff, I guess. Looking up their stuff on fanaticus etc of helps steering clear of them.

I also bought some mongols (Ilkhanid), and bought some extra to be able to morph them into some of the other mongol armies, only to discover that a couple of units in the army pack represent european vassal troops that'd look rather out of place in other armies. :argh:

Otherwise, my Essex favorites are their vikings, particularly the III40c Leidang army pack; £13 for 80 figures? Nice sculpts with lots of poses? gently caress yes please. :black101: Buy an extra general, and you have two armies! I'm seriously thinking of expanding mine for BBDBA/FoW.

Arquinsiel posted:

Well, what are you waiting for?

10mm is a bit odd scalewise though; 15mm seems to be most common, with 6mm and 28mm not too rare. Then there's the ones using plastic 1/72 sets...

For me it's 15mm; small enough that they're fast and easy to paint, but not too small to lose too much detail and character. Cheap too. So cheap it actually makes sense to get more than one army for the game, just so you can lend an army to a friend for a battle or two and watch the claws of addiction grip him until all he can think about is what army to get next that'd fit in with the dozen he already have. Especially if you really get into a particular era and region.

nuncle jimbo
Apr 3, 2009

:pcgaming:
So now all of a sudden I want a bunch of 15mm tall Roman Legionaires... you dicks. Who should I buy 'em from?

Tamir Lenk
Nov 25, 2009

lilljonas posted:

Sassanids + Mongols makes for a ton of horses though...

For DBA, Essex Sassanids are OK. If you expand that into a FoG/DBM army (and you should), you'll want more variety.

The good news is that Sassanids were actually far more varied in kit than the usual "tic-tac" helmet figures Essex provides.

When I did Sassanids, I used a mix of Old Glory bags and drew from Roman Clibinaari (who imitated the Sassanids), Western Asian Turks (included in the Sassanian Empire), actual Sassanids, and some Parthian cataphract figures.

Old Glory figures are sometimes a bit clunky, but the figs in these ranges are pretty good. By drawing from a broader assortment, the army ends up looking much closer to the irregular mix of Persians and Western Asians typical of the Sassanid Empire.

Tamir Lenk
Nov 25, 2009

uncle jimbo posted:

So now all of a sudden I want a bunch of 15mm tall Roman Legionaires... you dicks. Who should I buy 'em from?

Everyone makes Romans. For Early/Middle Empire, I'd look at Corvus Belli.

For Late Imperials (Dominate Roman in FoG), I like Chariot miniatures. I think they are distributed by Magister Militum.

Here they are at Navigator miniatures: http://www.navigatorminiatures.com/prodtype.asp?PT_ID=18&strPageHistory=cat

The Late Romans are in the "Fall of Rome" portion. Looks like they do earlier imperials too.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

R.S. Gumby posted:

10mm is a bit odd scalewise though; 15mm seems to be most common, with 6mm and 28mm not too rare. Then there's the ones using plastic 1/72 sets...
I deliberately have no ability to purchase via the internet, I have a few of the old Battle of Five Armies Elf cavalry blocks floating around and they're 10-mil-ish so I should use them someday, I've got about 300 20mil Motorised British Infantry with a tank company and some artillery batterys to paint, about the same again in Germans, a FoW German army, a few company's worth of mechs and all that GW poo poo taking up space still.

Bit silly to add more to the pile right now.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

R.S. Gumby posted:

Essex is quite good, at least when factoring in their price and the huge range. There are duds like bad sculpts or monopose troops, not surprising considering their huge assortment. Probably their older stuff, I guess. Looking up their stuff on fanaticus etc of helps steering clear of them.

I also bought some mongols (Ilkhanid), and bought some extra to be able to morph them into some of the other mongol armies, only to discover that a couple of units in the army pack represent european vassal troops that'd look rather out of place in other armies. :argh:

Otherwise, my Essex favorites are their vikings, particularly the III40c Leidang army pack; £13 for 80 figures? Nice sculpts with lots of poses? gently caress yes please. :black101: Buy an extra general, and you have two armies! I'm seriously thinking of expanding mine for BBDBA/FoW.

For me it's 15mm; small enough that they're fast and easy to paint, but not too small to lose too much detail and character. Cheap too. So cheap it actually makes sense to get more than one army for the game, just so you can lend an army to a friend for a battle or two and watch the claws of addiction grip him until all he can think about is what army to get next that'd fit in with the dozen he already have. Especially if you really get into a particular era and region.

BTW, what the hell is up with fanaticus? I've tried to sign up to that site at least three times, and never was I authorized. I even sent the mod an e-mail the second time. Eventually my account would just dissapear.

I thought about getting Ilkhanids, but I went with Mongol Conquest. Still ended up with non-mongol fools with throwing spears for some of the light cav. At least there's plenty of opportunities to field them as various tribes in a FoG army. This is actually one of my favourite things with DBA, that you can easily turn some related armies into a DBA army. My Carthaginians are simply two Carthaginian DBA armies and one Gallic army, with a few random packs added. I'm already looking into how much more I'd need for a Middle Eastern army as there are plenty of ways to ally in Swords & Scimitars, with crusaders (which I already did) in the Ilkhanid list and everything.

15 mm is fine and all but one day I'll finish 800 points of FoG 6mm samurai and it will be awesome.

Tamir Lenk posted:

For DBA, Essex Sassanids are OK. If you expand that into a FoG/DBM army (and you should), you'll want more variety.

The good news is that Sassanids were actually far more varied in kit than the usual "tic-tac" helmet figures Essex provides.

When I did Sassanids, I used a mix of Old Glory bags and drew from Roman Clibinaari (who imitated the Sassanids), Western Asian Turks (included in the Sassanian Empire), actual Sassanids, and some Parthian cataphract figures.

Old Glory figures are sometimes a bit clunky, but the figs in these ranges are pretty good. By drawing from a broader assortment, the army ends up looking much closer to the irregular mix of Persians and Western Asians typical of the Sassanid Empire.

Yeah, I have no quandries when it comes to using several makers. I used at least three different for my Carthaginians. Your version sounds really nice, and I haven't tried Old Glory yet.

With all the talk about different makers, here are my experiences with 15mm:

Started out with Corvus Belli. Nice sculpts, but incredibly hard metal. I pin all my cavalry to prevent them from falling of all the time, and drilling those minis is a pain.

Then I bought an army of Later Crusaders from Mirliton, which I absolutely adored. Really nice sculpts.

Now I bought two armies from Essex, and they look pretty nifty indeed. Cheap as chips too.

I've also bought some miniatures from Freikorps 15 to finish off my Carthaginians, and they were so-so. The numidians was pretty small and the Libyan infantry was pretty large. Not bad, but nothing that made me want to buy more.

The other manufacturers that people at the club have bought are Xyston and Black Hat. Xyston very impressive but large, and Black Hat were quite meh but incredibly cheap. Guy bought an entire FoG army for not that much more than one of my DBA Carthaginian armies from Corvus Belli.

lilljonas fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Aug 19, 2010

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Tamir Lenk posted:

:words:

Nice!

I'll try to work this in to the OP tonight. Since you borrowed from lilljonas' original post, I'll give you both credit.

LintMan
Mar 12, 2006
Be seening you
Well after Call to Arms I finally had some time to give my Landwehr Cav a coat of paint. Here they are, just need to base them up, do some pennants for their lances and and decide if I want to learn how to paint horses.

Next up Cannons and the Jaegers.

big_g
Sep 24, 2004

Those Prussians are loving awesome! Please post pics when you have done the bases.

Here is a couple of pics of the Panzer II with the giant ubermensch finished.

I need opinions now as he is not glued in yet. Better with or without? Please give your opinions, I know at least in this thread they will be serious and informed. Cheers!

My Dragon Panther Aust D kit arrived today. Its the "Premier Edition" and by God its a sexy kit. Its magic tracks and a gently caress load of phtoto etched extra parts and a metal barrel all for £35. I'm going to actually mould zimmerit on it with putty so that should be interesting. Lets hope I don't gently caress it up. WIP pics to follow.

big_g fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Aug 20, 2010

Jinjin Bemar
Apr 5, 2008

by Ozmaugh

LintMan posted:

Well after Call to Arms I finally had some time to give my Landwehr Cav a coat of paint. Here they are, just need to base them up, do some pennants for their lances and and decide if I want to learn how to paint horses.

Next up Cannons and the Jaegers.

Amazing.

You are inspiring me to pull my finger out my arse and paint something, Its been weeks since Ive got round to doing anything. Im always like this in the summer.

LintMan
Mar 12, 2006
Be seening you
Well actually having two days off in a row allows me to get some painting done. Photos taken at 10pm so just using the poor lighting I have in the house.

First up some skirmish markers. These are volunteer Jaegers.

Close up of the jaeger getting a cartridge from his pouch.

Next up some Cannons. These are a battery of foot artillery for Lasalle. Three 6pdr guns and a howitzer.

Then we have the based and completed Landwehr Cav unit. These are Militia cav are are not very good.

Group shot.

Next on the painting bench a unit of Landwehr infantry.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

LintMan posted:

Well actually having two days off in a row allows me to get some painting done. Photos taken at 10pm so just using the poor lighting I have in the house.

First up some skirmish markers. These are volunteer Jaegers.

Close up of the jaeger getting a cartridge from his pouch.

Next up some Cannons. These are a battery of foot artillery for Lasalle. Three 6pdr guns and a howitzer.

Then we have the based and completed Landwehr Cav unit. These are Militia cav are are not very good.

Group shot.

Next on the painting bench a unit of Landwehr infantry.

Awesome and fast painting there, Lintman.

Looking through my Essex order, I'm pretty miffed that they forgot to put in a howdah for my elephant and two whole packs of light Mongol cavalry. I sent them an e-mail and hope that they'll do something about it, in other case I'll just scratch build a howdah and then maybe examine the new Legio Heroica mongols. Those came out like two days after I posted my order to Essex, and I bet the Mongols work better in FoG than in DBA where you truly dance like a butterfly and sting like one as well.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Am I correct that, in Flames of War, as long as an intelligence book is from the same era, one can use its rules in any game?

Like, my friend and I are currently only using Fortress Europe, but I'm thinking I might like to try some stuff from River of Heroes.

No Pun Intended
Jul 23, 2007

DWARVEN SEX OFFENDER

ASK ME ABOUT TONING MY FINE ASS DWARVEN BOOTY BY RUNNING FROM THE COPS OUTSIDE THAT ELF KINDERGARTEN

BEHOLD THE DONG OF THE DWARVES! THE DWARVEN DONG IS COMING!
That is correct.

Tamir Lenk
Nov 25, 2009

A FoG Game

Hungarian Armati

Hungarian Nobles

Byzantine Latinikon

Byzantine Varangians

Early Tang Cavalry

Early Tang Infantry

Late Spanish (Santa Hermadad Nueva Castillan - 1492) Spearmen

SHNC Crossbowmen

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Are most FoG games played with sparse terrain? I imagine for warfare in that period it would be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tamir Lenk
Nov 25, 2009

Lord Commissar posted:

Are most FoG games played with sparse terrain? I imagine for warfare in that period it would be.

Depends. High initiative mounted armies tend to get pretty open tables by choosing Steppes when they can.

Otherwise, the terrain system is pretty balanced. I've seen both open and cluttered boards. Even sparse terrain can gently caress you when one of the few pieces is right in the middle.