Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

I only pray, Heaven knows when to lift you out
I vaguely remember asking my dad why he hated Clinton so much, and he said "because he rode on Bush's success for fixing the economy"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cognac McCarthy
Oct 5, 2008

It's a man's game, but boys will play

That would've been pretty impressive for Bush to bring about 8 years of unprecedented prosperity with 4 years of being president. Though if he's going to think economic policies project forward that much, that makes the recession that happened under Bush Reagan's fault. He needs to decide if he likes Bush or Reagan more.

chesh
Apr 19, 2004

That was terrible.
I need help refuting a facebook thing, please.

I posted:

Poll: 56% of chesh thinks Americans are tarded.

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=129291805&sc=fb&cc=fp

liberal friend posted:

How many of the respondents can correctly describe what a Muslim is?

I posted:

96% of chesh guesses that figure to be at 12.

conservative friend posted:

I don't understand why they would ask the question in the first place. Who cares what religion he is when his economic policies will add more debt to the bottom line than all other presidents in U.S. history combined and his foreign policy spits in the face of our longest held allies while opening up the checkbook to people who state that they'd like to kill us?

I posted:

[citation needed]

conservative friend posted:

On the deficit, I was wrong. His economic policies will result in a mere doubling of the national public debt to $11.5 trillion (assuming, of course, that increased top marginal tax rated don't have the historical effect of reducing revenue to the government).
http://www.cbo.gov/ftpdocs/100xx/doc10014/03-20-PresidentBudget.pdf

On the checkbook thing: England can have back their Churchill bust and Israel can't get a photo with PBO, but we can rebuild mosques the world over and send a guy who accused the U.S. of being complicit in the 9/11/2001 attacks abroad as a state department emissary.
http://www.usaid.gov/oig/public/fy09rpts/9-000-09-009-p.pdf

Go U.S.!

wtf is he talking about? Like, on all counts.

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

It's how her species communicates

He's saying deficit spending won't work, that we shouldn't rebuild the mosque's we bombed, and the guy building the Ground Zero Mosque wants to kill us because he said the U.S.'s policies were an accomplice to the 9/11 attacks.

That's what he's talking about. Besides the first one, which really won't be proven until a few years from now, he's wrong. Drawing a parallel to saying "maybe we should of rethought that whole stationing troops in Saudi Arabia thing" to "I want to kill America" is dumb beyond words. The bombs we dropped on mosque's cost more than rebuilding them, so who wasted more money in that deal?

UltraPenguinX
Mar 23, 2009

TC: hOnK hOnK iM a MoThErFuCkInG sEaL :o)
While we're on the subject, one of my ultra-conservative cousins posted an Facebook app-type thing, saying "I'm the xth person to protest against the Ground Zero Mosque. Click here to join the fight" or something. I, being the person that I am, asked him why he was protesting it. He said it was insensitive. I gave him the spheal about how we're allowed to build churches near abortion clinic bombings, but he still said that it's insensitive because 'out of all the locations they chose, they HAD to choose the one closest to ground zero'. Furthermore, his intellectually stunted friend joined in and said 'we don't know anything about the guy who is building this mosque, and there is no reason they should build it so close'. I'm honestly at a loss for how to combat such wrongness. Should I just give up and spare myself the idiocy-induced headaches?

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

UltraPenguinX posted:

While we're on the subject, one of my ultra-conservative cousins posted an Facebook app-type thing, saying "I'm the xth person to protest against the Ground Zero Mosque. Click here to join the fight" or something. I, being the person that I am, asked him why he was protesting it. He said it was insensitive. I gave him the spheal about how we're allowed to build churches near abortion clinic bombings, but he still said that it's insensitive because 'out of all the locations they chose, they HAD to choose the one closest to ground zero'. Furthermore, his intellectually stunted friend joined in and said 'we don't know anything about the guy who is building this mosque, and there is no reason they should build it so close'. I'm honestly at a loss for how to combat such wrongness. Should I just give up and spare myself the idiocy-induced headaches?

I like to say "so there were no muslim office workers in the twin towers that day? It would give the muslim-american (know this isn't a term, but it works for this argument) families a place close by to pray for their mothers, fathers, brothers, sisters, daughters, sons who lost their lives just going to work."

It's not a debate, really, but it gets them to shut up.

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

I love debate, and love countering talking points with rational logic, but you've got to just cut your losses sometimes. There is no saving some people :smith:

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

crime fighting hog posted:

I love debate, and love countering talking points with rational logic, but you've got to just cut your losses sometimes. There is no saving some people :smith:

I like leading people to the logical conclusion, and having them keep their stance for illogical reasons.

Actual conversation:

Friend: "I don't think they should build the mosque, not for religious reasons, but because with all this protesting and anger, something bad is likely to happen there."

Me: "Yeah, something bad will probably happen, but they can't just give in because a group of people are upset."

Friend: "I just don't want another tragedy."

Me: "So they shouldn't build it because they're scared of what a group of people might do if they continue?"

Friend: "Yeah."

Me: "So the Muslims should give in to terrorism?"

Friend: "... Look I just don't think they should build it is all!"

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
I guess being PC isn't considered a waify pussy move as long as it's in support of racist viewpoints.

chesh
Apr 19, 2004

That was terrible.

Grem posted:

He's saying deficit spending won't work, that we shouldn't rebuild the mosque's we bombed, and the guy building the Ground Zero Mosque wants to kill us because he said the U.S.'s policies were an accomplice to the 9/11 attacks.

That's what he's talking about. Besides the first one, which really won't be proven until a few years from now, he's wrong. Drawing a parallel to saying "maybe we should of rethought that whole stationing troops in Saudi Arabia thing" to "I want to kill America" is dumb beyond words. The bombs we dropped on mosque's cost more than rebuilding them, so who wasted more money in that deal?

Ugh, thank you. You are awesome and smart because I seriously couldn't even parse that poo poo. Just to keep the thing rolling:

conservative "friend" posted:

I've found that the best arguments are supported by reliably sourced information. I haven't named the Godwin's corollary yet, but relying on the internet information equivalent of Muhammad Saeed al-Sahhaf is definitely a roll over and bare your underside move.

OK, what the gently caress, seriously.

I posted:

First off, that last thing you said there makes no sense. Mike linked a graph based on a CBO number projection analysis done by the Center on Budget and Policy Priorities, which is a non-partisan think tank. Since you already linked CBO numbers, that's fair game, and no Godwin bullshit applies.

Second, you can't blame a guy two years in for all the wrongs of an economy that was crashing when the last rear end in a top hat was still in charge.

Third of all, even if you're right, it really won't be proven until a few years from now. Feel free to bring it back up then. Wasn't Bush the one who said that history will be the final word on a presidency?

Fourth, drawing a parallel to saying "maybe we should of rethought that whole stationing troops in Saudi Arabia thing" to "I want to kill America" is dumb beyond words. The bombs we dropped on mosque's cost more than rebuilding them, so who wasted more money in that deal?

My punching meter is rising.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc

quote:

Second, you can't blame a guy two years in for all the wrongs of an economy that was crashing when the last rear end in a top hat was still in charge.

True, but I would've used:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
Here's another awesome graph I found while searching for that one. "Portion of US gov't budget vs. Amount of Media Coverage"

It's informative and pretty! My only complaint is that I'm not able to spend the time to find one that's high-res enough to make out the poo poo at the bottom.

http://www.pitchinteractive.com/usbudget/img/barchart_v2.jpg

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
What is that graph showing? I'm guessing the left side is the current divisions of the budget, but what is the right side? What is actually paid for? A future budget? The effects of the various departments?

Ahh. you're right :downs:

Watermelon Daiquiri fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Aug 21, 2010

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Watermelon Daiquiri posted:

What is that graph showing? I'm guessing the left side is the current divisions of the budget, but what is the right side? What is actually paid for? A future budget? The effects of the various departments?

He said it, didn't he? "Portion of US gov't budget vs. Amount of Media Coverage"

It would be better if there was some source supplied, though. I mean, what defines media coverage of a portion of the budget, and what does that mean in practise?

red19fire
May 26, 2010

This seems like the most relevant place to put this. Not necessarily a forwarded email, but a facebook status chain message. This girl was Jewish in high school, but for some reason switched to fundie christian during college, presumably because of a boyfriend. Most of her posts are innocuous messages about how jesus got her great concert tickets, but then this obviously copy-pasted garbage comes out. I just had to put her in her place.

Surprisingly, this status update was deleted 5 minutes later.

tek79
Jun 16, 2008

red19fire posted:

"Press 2 to disconnect until you learn to speak English."

This is a longer line than "Press 2 for X", so wouldn't this be more of a nuisance, since it takes up more of the callers time? Oh wait, thats not the point, I forgot Jesus advocated hatred towards foreigners...nevermind.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
It's like a neopolitan ice cream of right-wing boner inducers. The creamy classic vanilla of passive-agressive white nationalism, the sweet loving strawberry of the Jesus who agrees with everything you think, and the tough rich chocolatey manliness of the totally non-descript AMERICAN SOLDIER.

UltraPenguinX
Mar 23, 2009

TC: hOnK hOnK iM a MoThErFuCkInG sEaL :o)

Burrito posted:

I like leading people to the logical conclusion, and having them keep their stance for illogical reasons.

Actual conversation:

Friend: "I don't think they should build the mosque, not for religious reasons, but because with all this protesting and anger, something bad is likely to happen there."

Me: "Yeah, something bad will probably happen, but they can't just give in because a group of people are upset."

Friend: "I just don't want another tragedy."

Me: "So they shouldn't build it because they're scared of what a group of people might do if they continue?"

Friend: "Yeah."

Me: "So the Muslims should give in to terrorism?"

Friend: "... Look I just don't think they should build it is all!"

My story has a similar ending. I posted an article written by Gladstone pretty much blowing any argument in favor of Mosque protesting out of the water with a systematic rebuttal of any point they could ever make. My cousin's response: "yeah I still don't think they should build it".

Is it that hard to just come out and say "I don't like muslims because they're different"? Jeez.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

crime fighting hog posted:

I vaguely remember asking my dad why he hated Clinton so much, and he said "because he rode on Bush's success for fixing the economy"
Reminder: Bush raised taxes. (And yes, that was a good thing, I respect H.W. Bush for doing the right thing there)

thefncrow
Mar 14, 2001

UltraPenguinX posted:

My story has a similar ending. I posted an article written by Gladstone pretty much blowing any argument in favor of Mosque protesting out of the water with a systematic rebuttal of any point they could ever make. My cousin's response: "yeah I still don't think they should build it".

Is it that hard to just come out and say "I don't like muslims because they're different"? Jeez.

It's not necessarily what's going on here, because there is a potential bigotry component, but it's interesting how this seems to mirror an item from a blog I had just read recently about how gut feelings of disgust can essentially overwhelm rational reasoning in a person. The article quoted this from A Very Bad Wizard by Tamler Sommers:

quote:

He presents scenarios designed to evoke strong moral responses ("It's wrong!"), but ones that are hard to justify rationally. (Examples include: having sex with a chicken carcass you're about to eat, wiping your toilet with a national flag, and, as we'll see, brother-sister incest.)

. . . .

TAMLER SOMMERS: . . . You do an experiment where you present five scenarios to a subject and get their reaction. One of these scenarios describes a brother and a sister—Julie and Mark—vacationing in the south of France. They have some wine, one thing leads to another, and they decide they want to have sex. They use two different kinds of contraception and enjoy it, but they decide not to do it again. How do people react to this, and what conclusions do you draw from their reactions?

JONATHAN HAIDT: People almost always start out by saying it's wrong. Then they start to give reasons. The most common reasons involve genetic abnormalities or that it will somehow damage their relationship. But we say in the story that they use two forms of birth control, and we say in the story that they keep that night as a special secret and that it makes them even closer. So people seem to want to disregard certain facts about the story. When the experimenter points out these facts and says, "Oh, well, sure, if they were going to have kids, that would cause problems, but they're using birth control. So would you say that it's okay?" And people never say, "Ooh, right, I forgot about the birth control. So then it is okay." Instead, they say, "Oh, yeah. Huh. Well, okay, let me think."

So what's really clear, and you can see it in the videotapes of the experiment, is: people give a reason. When that reason is stripped from them, they give another reason. When the new reason is stripped from them, they reach for another reason. And it's only when they reach deep into their pockets for another reason, and come up empty-handed, that they enter the state we call "moral dumbfounding." Because they fully expect to find reasons. They're surprised when they don't find reasons. . . . [I]t's a cognitive state where you "know" that something is morally wrong, but you can't find reasons to justify your belief.

Essentially, for some people, they're not using reason to deduce their own personal moral views, but instead are simply using reason to explain their personal moral views. The trick is, someone operating on the former level can be reasoned out of their position, because rational reason is the road by which they came to that conclusion. For the latter, however, you can't reason these people out of these positions. They didn't reasonably and rationally come to that decision based on a review of the facts, even though they may think they did. Instead, their gut has dictated this position to them, and they use reason to defend their belief. However, stripped of all reason, they will still continue to cling to their belief.

Of course, it's also entirely possible that they're people who hold these beliefs because they hold other bigoted beliefs to be true, and they're simply attempting to hide the bigoted reasons in order to not appear bigoted. Whether or not someone is from column A or column B is rather difficult to know without the benefit of omniscience.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
That's a fine example of the way people put their reaction before their reasoning...but insisting that siblings getting down could be written off as a bonding experience with no negative effects that never happens again is kind of rigging the game now isn't it? I think in that situation people are probably reaching for a better explanation because there are legit reasons that they're being denied using. They aren't realizing that this is to be approached as a completely hypothetical situation where we get to make definitive statements about their ability to keep a secret, futures, mental health and relationships. The entire thing hinges on the fact that you assume there's no downside AND they never tell anyone else. If that's the case then anything is justifiable.

Or maybe I'm arguing from my disgusted gut right now :tinfoil:

thefncrow
Mar 14, 2001

Intel&Sebastian posted:

That's a fine example of the way people put their reaction before their reasoning...but insisting that siblings getting down could be written off as a bonding experience with no negative effects that never happens again is kind of rigging the game now isn't it? I think in that situation people are probably reaching for a better explanation because there are legit reasons that they're being denied using. They aren't realizing that this is to be approached as a completely hypothetical situation where we get to make definitive statements about their ability to keep a secret, futures, mental health and relationships. The entire thing hinges on the fact that you assume there's no downside AND they never tell anyone else. If that's the case then anything is justifiable.

Or maybe I'm arguing from my disgusted gut right now :tinfoil:

Well, but the point is that the question being asked isn't if incest is acceptable, but if this particular instance of incest is acceptable. A reasonable response to this could be a combination of issues, objecting to the hypothetical scenario while admitting that, in these extremely limited and fictional circumstances, incest is acceptable. When you're out of reasonable objections to the situation, this would be a rather acceptable response.

Instead, these folks can't come up with that answer. They know, in their gut, that incest is wrong, and that it's always wrong. Because incest is always wrong, it's still wrong in this scenario. When asked to justify it, though, they're left without an explanation, because the scenario defused the common objections.

Like I said, someone using reason to answer this question could still object to the arbitrary nature of the hypothetical situation, and that would be acceptable, but this isn't occurring to these people. They don't have reasons which lead them to the conclusion that incest is unacceptable in this particular instance. Instead, they have a blanket belief that incest is unacceptable, and use reason to justify the pre-existing belief. When reason fails them, they don't abandon their gut feeling, but hold onto it, even as they're being forced to confront the reality that they have no reason supporting their conclusion.

thefncrow fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Aug 23, 2010

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006
It seems sort of like saying "What if you could cure any person of any disease by rear end-raping them?" Maybe in that scenario morality dictates that you go on a rape spree at the children's hospital but I still wouldn't blame people for saying "ew...", nor do I think their reaction one way or the other proves anything. I think the usefulness of the hypothetical hinges somewhat on the realism of the scenario.

thefncrow
Mar 14, 2001

Doomclown posted:

It seems sort of like saying "What if you could cure any person of any disease by rear end-raping them?" Maybe in that scenario morality dictates that you go on a rape spree at the children's hospital but I still wouldn't blame people for saying "ew...", nor do I think their reaction one way or the other proves anything. I think the usefulness of the hypothetical hinges somewhat on the realism of the scenario.

The usefulness of the hypothetical doesn't necessarily hinge upon reality. Now, the adaptability of such a conclusion drawn in a hypothetical scenario to reality, that certainly does hinge upon the realism of the situation. That's why the stupid "ticking time bomb" hypothetical situations are rhetorical garbage and aren't a valid way of arguing for torture of real people.

And it's perfectly acceptable to say that such a scenario might make a person feel gross about such a situation and conclusion. But if you allow your personal revulsion to make the decision when no rational evidence supports your conclusion, then that's the sort of thing I'm talking about.

thefncrow fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Aug 23, 2010

Whatev
Jan 19, 2007

unfading

the yellow dart posted:

I like how it is a massive freak out over essentially returning to the tax levels pre-2001, which still has the US at some of the lowest taxes in the Western world, and which were predicated on a solid economy and the surpluses of the Clinton era. Oh but lets cut more taxes so we can fix the deficit trickle down Milton Friedman Jesus-Reagan :psyboom:
FYI, the numbers that email gives are bullshit. The Bush tax cuts will only expire for the upper two brackets.

It's a big deal if you're a loving millionaire or a loving millionaire-to-be!

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

Won't someone please think of the millionaires?!

the yellow dart
Jul 19, 2004

King of rings, armlocks, hugs, and our hearts
B-b-b-b-b-buuut the DEATH TAX!

Edit: I was aware, I just wish they were more expanded. I make decent coin yet only paid something like 10% in taxes last year. Granted the govt. pays me anyway, but it seems ridiculous that a well-payed single individual such as myself pays relatively nothing in taxes.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
Just got one from my step-dad:

quote:

Everyone concentrates on the problems we're having in this country lately: illegal immigration, BP oil spill, and alligators attacking people in Florida .

Not me. I concentrate on solutions for the problems. It's a win- win situation.

+ Dig a moat the length of the Mexican border.

+ Send the dirt to New Orleans to raise the level of the levies.

+ Put the Florida alligators in the moat along the Mexican border.

Any other problems you would like for me to solve today? Yes!

Think about these:

1. Cows
2. The Constitution
3. The Ten Commandments

C O W S

Is it just me, or does anyone else find it amazing that during the mad cow epidemic our government could track a single cow, born in Canada almost three years ago, right to the stall where she slept in the state of Washington? And, they tracked her calves to their stalls. But they are unable to locate 11 million illegal aliens wandering around our country. Maybe we should give each of them a cow.

T H E
C O N S T I T U T I O N

They keep talking about drafting a Constitution for Iraq .... Why don't we just give them ours? It was written by a lot of really smart guys, it has worked for over 200 years, and we're not using it anymore.

T H E
T E N
C O M M A N D M E N T S

The real reason that we can't have the Ten Commandments posted in a courthouse is this:
You cannot post 'Thou Shalt Not Steal,' 'Thou Shalt Not Commit Adultery,' and 'Thou Shall Not Lie' in a building full of lawyers, judges and politicians. It creates a hostile work environment.

Also, think about this: If you don't want to forward this for fear of offending someone-- YOU ARE PART OF THE PROBLEM!

It is Time for America to speak up!

Yep, I passed it on!

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
Classy. I don't suppose any of the people using Bible for political purposes has ever taken the bit about "you shall not make wrongful use of the name of the Lord your God, for the Lord will not acquit anyone who misuses his name" seriously.

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

The bit about not using the constitution anymore cracked me up, I like this one.

ApathyGifted
Aug 30, 2004
Tomorrow?

Mordiceius posted:

Just got one from my step-dad:

Mordiceius' step-dad posted:

+ Dig a moat the length of the Mexican border.

Did you reply that we already have one? (Yes I know it doesn't run the whole length).

akula
Oct 24, 2004

Whatev posted:

FYI, the numbers that email gives are bullshit. The Bush tax cuts will only expire for the upper two brackets.

It's a big deal if you're a loving millionaire or a loving millionaire-to-be!

I was under the impression that all tax brackets will be increased unless congress acts.. anyone?

edit: here are the proposed increases as far as I am aware:

- The 10% bracket rises to an expanded 15%
- The 25% bracket rises to 28%
- The 28% bracket rises to 31%
- The 33% bracket rises to 36%
- The 35% bracket rises to 39.6%

Cognac McCarthy
Oct 5, 2008

It's a man's game, but boys will play

akula posted:

I was under the impression that all tax brackets will be increased unless congress acts.. anyone?

edit: here are the proposed increases as far as I am aware:

- The 10% bracket rises to an expanded 15%
- The 25% bracket rises to 28%
- The 28% bracket rises to 31%
- The 33% bracket rises to 36%
- The 35% bracket rises to 39.6%
The source being? When people talk about the "Bush tax cuts", they're referring to the unprecedented low tax rates for the most wealthy in the country, not his cuts for low and middle class families.

thefncrow
Mar 14, 2001

Davish Krail posted:

The source being? When people talk about the "Bush tax cuts", they're referring to the unprecedented low tax rates for the most wealthy in the country, not his cuts for low and middle class families.

Without action, he's right. All of those brackets would change.

Of course, no one is talking about taking no action. The Democrats plan to extend the tax cuts for lower and middle class families, and let the tax cuts on the upper brackets expire. The Republicans are trying to scream their head off to get everything extended, even the tax cuts for the wealthy.

The tax cuts were a single bill passed under reconciliation, and so all of those cuts expire at once. Without some action, all of the tax cuts will expire this year. Republicans are just trying to hold the extension of the tax cuts for the lower tax brackets as a bargaining chip to get the tax cuts for the upper brackets extended as well.

You'll notice that's why the phrasing is usually "Bush tax cuts for the wealthy". That's referring to the cuts to the top brackets, and so you'll have politicians say "We will let the Bush tax cuts for the wealthy expire". They're not talking about the whole package, but only the tax cuts for the higher tax brackets.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc

quote:

Of course, no one is talking about taking no action.

No one is advocating taking no action. The right wing is loudly talking about the consequences of taking no action and attempting to paint it as if that's what the left wants to do. Which is a completely dishonest and bad faith argument designed to scare people into supporting extending all of them by pretending that it's all or nothing.

qmark
Nov 21, 2005

College Slice
Just received this from my dad, who likes to borrow ideas from the extreme left and extreme right, depending on his mood:

quote:

>Charley Reese is retiring. His last column is this
>one. I know many will miss this
>southern gentleman.. He had a great run and we
>are all better off for it. Farewell, Mr. Reese,
>and thank you.
>
>Be sure to read the Tax List at the end.
>
>
>This is about as clear and easy to understand as it can be - read it!!
>
>The article below is completely neutral, not anti republican or democrat.
>
>Charlie Reese, a retired reporter for the Orlando Sentinal, has hit the
>nail directly on the head, defining clearly who it is that in the final
>analysis must assume responsibility
>for the judgments made that impact each one of us every day. It's a short
>but good read. Worth the time. Worth remembering!
>
>545 vs. 300,000,000
>
>
>
>545 PEOPLE--By Charlie Reese
>
>Politicians are the only people in the world who create problems and then
>campaign against them..
>
>Have you ever wondered, if both the Democrats and the Republicans
>
>are against deficits, WHY do we have deficits?
>
>Have you ever wondered, if all the politicians are against inflation and
>high taxes,WHY do we have inflation and high taxes?
>
>You and I don't propose a federal budget. The President does.
>
>You and I don't have the Constitutional authority to vote on appropriations.
>
>
>The House of Representatives does.
>
>You and I don't write the tax code, Congress does.
>
>You and I don't set fiscal policy, Congress does.
>
>You and I don't control monetary policy, the Federal Reserve Bank does.
>
>One hundred senators,435 congressmen, one President, and nine Supreme Court
>justices equates to 545 human beings out of the 300 million are
>
>directly, legally, morally, and individually responsible for the domestic
>problems that plague this country.
>
>I excluded the members of the Federal Reserve Board because that problem was
>created by the Congress. In 1913, Congress delegated its Constitutional duty
>to provide a sound currency to a federally chartered, but private, central
>bank.
>
>I excluded all the special interests and lobbyists for a sound reason.
>
>They have no legal authority. They have no ability to coerce a senator, a
>congressman, or a President to do one cotton-picking thing. I don't care
>if
>
> they offer a politician $1 million dollars in cash. The politician has the
>
>power to accept or reject it. No matter what the lobbyist promises, it is
>the legislator's responsibility to determine how he votes.
>
>Those 545 human beings spend much of their energy convincing you that
>
>what they did is not their fault. They cooperate in this common con
>
>regardless of party.
>
>What separates a politician from a normal human being is an excessive
>
>amount of gall. No normal human being would have the gall of a Speaker,
>
>who stood up and criticized the President for creating deficits.....
>The President can only propose a budget. He cannot force the Congress to
>accept it.
>
>The Constitution, which is the supreme law of the land, gives sole
>responsibility to the House of Representatives for originating and approving
>appropriations and taxes. Who is the speaker of the House? Nancy Pelosi.
>
>She is the leader of the majority party. She and fellow House members,
>
>not the President, can approve any budget they want. If the President vetoes
>
>
>it, they can pass it over his veto if they agree to.
>
>It seems inconceivable to me that a nation of 300 million cannot replace 545
>people who stand convicted -- by present facts -- of incompetence and
>irresponsibility. I can't think of a single domestic problem that is not
>
>traceable directly to those 545 people. When you fully grasp the plain truth
>
> that 545 people exercise the power of the federal government, then it must
>follow that what exists is what they want to exist.
>
>If the tax code is unfair, it's because they want it unfair.
>
>If the budget is in the red, it's because they want it in the red
>
>If the Army & Marines are in Iraq and Afghanistan it's because they
>want
>
>them in Iraq and Afghanistan...
>
>If they do not receive social security but are on an elite retirement plan
>not
>available to the people, it's because they want it that way.
>
>There are no insoluble government problems.
>
>Do not let these 545 people shift the blame to bureaucrats, whom they hire
>
>and whose jobs they can abolish; to lobbyists, whose gifts and advice they
>
>can reject; to regulators, to whom they give the power to regulate and from
>whom they can take this power. Above all, do not let them con you into the
>belief that there exists disembodied mystical forces like "the economy,"
>"inflation," or "politics" that prevent them from doing
>what they take an
>
>oath to do.
>
>Those 545 people, and they alone, are responsible.
>
>They, and they alone, have the power..
>
>They, and they alone, should be held accountable by the people who are their
>bosses.
>
>Provided the voters have the gumption to manage their own employees...
>
>We should vote all of them out of office and clean up their mess!
>
>Charlie Reese is a former columnist of the Orlando Sentinel Newspaper.
>
>What you do with this article now that you have read it......... Is up
>to you.
>
>This might be funny if it weren't so true.
>
>Be sure to read all the way to the end:
>
>Tax his land,
>
>Tax his bed,
>
>Tax the table,
>
>At which he's fed.
>Tax his tractor,
>
>Tax his mule,
>
>Teach him taxes
>
>Are the rule.
>
>Tax his work,
>Tax his pay,
>He works for peanuts Anyway!
>Tax his cow,
>Tax his goat,
>Tax his pants,
>Tax his coat.
>
>Tax his ties,
>Tax his shirt,
>Tax his work,
>Tax his dirt.
>
>Tax his tobacco,
>Tax his drink,
>Tax him if he Tries to think.
>
>Tax his cigars,
>Tax his beers,
>If he criesTax his tears.
>
>Tax his car,
>Tax his gas,
>Find other ways
>To tax his rear end.
>
>Tax all he has
>
>Then let him know
>That you won't be done
>Till he has no dough.
>
>When he screams and hollers;
>Then tax him some more,
>Tax him till
>He's good and sore.
>
>Then tax his coffin,
>Tax his grave,
>Tax the sod in
>Which he's laid...
>Put these words
>Upon his tomb,
>Taxes drove me to my doom...'
>When he's gone,
>Do not relax,
>Its time to apply
>The inheritance tax..
>
>Accounts Receivable Tax
>Building Permit Tax
>CDL license Tax
>Cigarette Tax
>Corporate Income Tax
>Dog License Tax
>Excise Taxes
>Federal Income Tax
>Federal Unemployment Tax (FUTA)
>Fishing License Tax
>Food License Tax
>Fuel Permit Tax
>Gasoline Tax (currently 44.75 cents per gallon)
>Gross Receipts Tax
>Hunting License Tax
>Inheritance Tax
>Inventory Tax
>IRS Interest Charges IRS
> Penalties (tax on top of tax)
>Liquor Tax
>Luxury Taxes
>Marriage License Tax
>Medicare Tax
>Personal Property Tax
>Property Tax
>Real Estate Tax
>Service Charge Tax
>Social Security Tax
>Road Usage Tax
>Recreational Vehicle Tax
>Sales Tax
>School Tax
>State Income Tax
>State Unemployment Tax (SUTA)
>Telephone Federal Excise Tax
>Telephone Federal Universal Service FeeTax
>Telephone Federal, State and Local Surcharge Taxes
>Telephone Minimum Usage Surcharge Tax
>Telephone Recurring and Nonrecurring Charges Tax
>Telephone State and Local Tax
>Telephone Usage Charge Tax
>Utility Taxes
>Vehicle License Registration Tax
>Vehicle Sales Tax
>Watercraft Registration Tax
>Well Permit Tax
>Workers Compensation Tax
>
>
>
>
>
>STILL THINK THIS IS FUNNY? Not one of these taxes existed 100 years ago,
>
>& our nation was the most prosperous in the world. We had absolutely no
>national debt, had the largest middle class in the world, and Mom stayed
>
>home to raise the kids.
>What in the hell happened? Can you spell 'politicians?'

I responded with this link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qOyqtLy1hv8

the yellow dart
Jul 19, 2004

King of rings, armlocks, hugs, and our hearts
I like how he thinks early 1900s America was one of the most prosperous countries in the world when we were still pretty much considered a backwater to Europe. Hell, 100 years ago most of the American West still wasn't made into states yet (I'm looking at you, Arizona!).

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?

the yellow dart posted:

I like how he thinks early 1900s America was one of the most prosperous countries in the world when we were still pretty much considered a backwater to Europe. Hell, 100 years ago most of the American West still wasn't made into states yet (I'm looking at you, Arizona!).

But...no..no. You're just too young to remember, but back then, it was wonderful.

*sighs in nostalgia*

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

Neckbeard v. 2.0 posted:

But...no..no. You're just too young to remember, but back then, it was wonderful.

*sighs in nostalgia*

Fine, then we'll go to the Greatest Generation. Surely World War 2 was when we overtook the rest of the world, there was no debt, taxes were low, and we were absolutely the major superpower of the world.

God drat facts getting in the way of my blissful fondness for days gone by :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meatball
Mar 2, 2003

That's a Spicy Meatball

Pillbug
That whole list boils down to "I like nice things but don't want to pay for them :qq:"