Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
I would say that Brief Interviews is his finest work. For a series of scraps they just cohere so beutifully. I mean, The Depressed Woman and Octet tips the reader that a lot of his later work are very intricate questions and of course he breaks away from his affected hyper-complex style which can get choking after what, a novel and 2 non-fiction collections written in it (the affected style, that is). And I guess the topic of sex is a lot more accessable a topic than the folly of a quest for immediate self-gratification.
Also meanolmrcloud, do you think that The Octet is a narrative? I was convinced that he really had failed to write an Octet and just decided to take it from there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

meanolmrcloud
Apr 5, 2004

rock out with your stock out

Mr. Squishy posted:

Also meanolmrcloud, do you think that The Octet is a narrative? I was convinced that he really had failed to write an Octet and just decided to take it from there.

I'm leaning towards its being purposefully constructed-the complexly layered meta at play has me imagining him licking his lips with a dopey rear end grin on his face for actually flying this ridiculous idea and watching it sail so wonderfully.

I actually wrote my previous post before finishing the rapist story and honestly that piece shines so brightly it brings every theme in the book up several notches. I've been wrapping my head around its depth all morning and honestly I'll probably go through that again before i start anything else.

Edged Hymn
Feb 4, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Holy poo poo I need to get Brief Interviews. Any buzz about Girl With Curious Hair? I loved Oblivion if that's any indication I'll like GWCH.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

Can anyone recomend anyone, well, even remotely like him?

barkingclam
Jun 20, 2007

Mr. Squishy posted:

I found some of Don DeLillo's stuff (especially Ratner's Star or White Noise) rather similar. Jonathan Franzen was good friends with DFW and I don't think they're entirely dissimilar. I read The Corrections right after Infinite Jest and they kind of reminded me of the other, especially when Franzen wrote about being depressed.

meanolmrcloud
Apr 5, 2004

rock out with your stock out

Mr. Squishy posted:

Tried Delillo, it wasn't nearly as lively or rich as I expected and I was actually pretty disappointed at White Noise despite it being an OK book. I opted for 2666 after IJ just for a sense of relentless scope and then read The Brothers Karamazov again because at that point I needed a masterful lunatic with a deep world and stupid long sentences to extend my 4 month 3 book submersion.

flavaaDAAAAAVE
Jun 2, 2008

Mr. Squishy posted:

I'm reading Delillo's White Noise and while it is similar it's, like another poster said, not as lively. It has sort of a dissociated feel to it.

I read somewhere that John Barth was influential to DFW. Specifically Lost in the Funhouse.

From wiki: "Barth presents a literary "funhouse," a dense maze that weaves in and out of plot, narration, and a self-conscious attention to the process of writing itself."

Sounds familiar.

Mario Incandenza
Aug 24, 2000

Tell me, small fry, have you ever heard of the golden Triumph Forks?
Barthelme too, his short story The Balloon was supposed to have served as the inspiration for DFW to become a writer.

aricoarena
Aug 7, 2006
citizenh8 bought me this account because he is a total qt.

flavaaDAAAAAVE posted:

I'm reading Delillo's White Noise and while it is similar it's, like another poster said, not as lively. It has sort of a dissociated feel to it.

I read somewhere that John Barth was influential to DFW. Specifically Lost in the Funhouse.

From wiki: "Barth presents a literary "funhouse," a dense maze that weaves in and out of plot, narration, and a self-conscious attention to the process of writing itself."

Sounds familiar.

He says in the Lipsky book that Westward the Course of Empire Takes its Way was entirly ripping off of Barth.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Mr. Squishy posted:

I feel like Rick Moody was doing a passable DFW impression with his narrator character in The Four Fingers of Death, but I'm only a little ways in so I don't know if that will hold up throughout the rest of the book. Pick it up in the bookstore and read through the first dozen pages of the "Introduction", see what you think.

Edit: I should disclaim that I haven't been a huge Moody fan. He's clearly talented but doesn't usually take things in the direction I'd like, I guess. This latest novel is much more like it, though.

mdemone fucked around with this message at 15:33 on Aug 18, 2010

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

aricoarena posted:

He says in the Lipsky book that Westward the Course of Empire Takes its Way was entirly ripping off of Barth.

Ripping off is the wrong term.

For whom, is the funhouse fun?

e: Pothead McDonald is saying Varoom Varoom, as he drives through the endless cornfields but his dad is constantly irritated that his let-down of a son is saying "For Whom" the whole way. It is one of many many references to Barth, not a "rip off"

syscall girl fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Aug 18, 2010

Pedro De Heredia
May 30, 2006
There's some parts of IJ I'd like to re-read, if anyone remembers the page numbers I'd appreciate it:

- the whole spiel about the increasingly evolving camera-phones and people's attempts to hide their faces.
- a part about how AA requires you to repeat mantras and believe in some higher power and how it works even if you don't believe in it.
- a part about how a depressed guy felt like every day and how his wife handled it.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Pedro De Heredia posted:

There's some parts of IJ I'd like to re-read, if anyone remembers the page numbers I'd appreciate it:

- the whole spiel about the increasingly evolving camera-phones and people's attempts to hide their faces.
- a part about how AA requires you to repeat mantras and believe in some higher power and how it works even if you don't believe in it.
- a part about how a depressed guy felt like every day and how his wife handled it.

i) there is kind of a funny article about his thoughts on video communication here: http://www.ivarhagendoorn.com/blog/literature/david-foster-wallace-on-video-phones (with page numbers, if you follow the link)

ii) AA mantras be they good or bad (I love how DFW doesn't clown on them but lets his desperate and near hopeless characters do that) are throughout IFJ

iii) I dunno, but Kate Gompert had the unipolar depression that was just a mind gently caress to read. That and the short story "The Depressed Person" (if you really want to be depressed.)

Kieselguhr Kid
May 16, 2010

WHY USE ONE WORD WHEN SIX FUCKING PARAGRAPHS WILL DO?

(If this post doesn't passive-aggressively lash out at one of the women in Auspol please send the police to do a welfare check.)

flavaaDAAAAAVE posted:

Sounds familiar.

That's a postmodern thing in general. Nothing special about DFW or Barth in that sense.

WoG
Jul 13, 2004

Pedro De Heredia posted:

Beaten on the first, but it's 144. I've read that part on its own half a dozen times.
Second: 442? 270? It's covered a few places.

This might be useful -- http://faculty.sunydutchess.edu/oneill/Infinite.htm

PopZeus
Aug 11, 2010
Man, I'm so glad to see a DFW thread! I have loved everything I've read by the guy and if there was any single person I wish was still around today, it would be him. What a tremendous loss.

I've seen a fair amount of Infinite Jest discussion and it's all making me feel like re-reading it. I read A Supposedly Fun Thing... first, then when the bookstore only had one copy of Infinite Jest and nothing else, I decided to take the plunge. It was incredibly bittersweet finishing the book, as I'd been reading it over a few months and it never seemed to get any closer to finishing (which was fine with me). Then boom!, the last page turned and for a few seconds I contemplated turning to page one and doing it again.

If a group of fellow DFW-enthusiasts are willing, I'd love to have a Infinite Jest read-along, a la the Infinite Summer project. It'd be great to read a set amount every week or so and discuss it more in depth while it's still fresh in my mind. If there's any book I've read that calls for analysis and discussion, it'd surely be Infinite Jest. Anyway, if no one wants to do this, I've still got The Girl With Curious Hair to read next!

Favorite IJ part: Hm, either the Eschaton stuff or Hal's phone call with Orin while he flicks fingernails (toenails?) into the trash. If I'm in a more downbeat mood, it's the section where he describes how it feels to have depression (using the girl in the hospital). Holy poo poo was that a chilling and eye-opening passage.

Foyes36
Oct 23, 2005

Food fight!

Pedro De Heredia posted:

This whole rant should be required reading for anyone involved in the ACN scam.

flavaaDAAAAAVE
Jun 2, 2008

PopZeus posted:

If a group of fellow DFW-enthusiasts are willing, I'd love to have a Infinite Jest read-along, a la the Infinite Summer project. It'd be great to read a set amount every week or so and discuss it more in depth while it's still fresh in my mind. If there's any book I've read that calls for analysis and discussion, it'd surely be Infinite Jest. Anyway, if no one wants to do this, I've still got The Girl With Curious Hair to read next!

I'm down with this.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

flavaaDAAAAAVE posted:

I'm down with this.

Me too, but we'd need some way to keep everyone reminded and moving along in it (even if it's a slow pace), because every group-reading I try to do with IJ winds up with me losing track of it 25% of the way through and forgetting to keep up with the thread, or whatever.

Or maybe I just need to get my poo poo together.

PopZeus
Aug 11, 2010

mdemone posted:

Me too, but we'd need some way to keep everyone reminded and moving along in it (even if it's a slow pace), because every group-reading I try to do with IJ winds up with me losing track of it 25% of the way through and forgetting to keep up with the thread, or whatever.

Or maybe I just need to get my poo poo together.

Agreed. If it's done, it needs to be done right.

Le Sean
Feb 18, 2006
Magazines call me a Rockstar, Girls call me Cockstar
I actually just got IJ from the library (finally) so I'm on board. Plan on starting it today actually.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Le Sean posted:

I actually just got IJ from the library (finally) so I'm on board. Plan on starting it today actually.

This reminds me, we'd need to be careful about spoilers for exactly this reason. (Not that there are a lot of things to be spoiled in the plot, per se, but some things are better left to the first-time reader's discovery.)

ProperCauldron
Oct 11, 2004

nah chill
I finished reading Elegant Complexity this week. (I've read IJ twice.) It helped me with the consistent imagery in the book, specifically, the color blue, spiders and water.

I would've liked if it helped fill in more of the blank slices of the plot's sierpinski triangle.

flavaaDAAAAAVE
Jun 2, 2008

mdemone posted:

This reminds me, we'd need to be careful about spoilers for exactly this reason. (Not that there are a lot of things to be spoiled in the plot, per se, but some things are better left to the first-time reader's discovery.)

Mine is in the mail. Does someone want to start a new thread for this? I'm too lazy.

Le Sean
Feb 18, 2006

So, when does IJ get good?

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Le Sean posted:

When you put it down and give it someone with good taste.

e: vvvvv Sorry, that was uncalled for. Maybe on your second reading. vvvv

syscall girl fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Aug 24, 2010

Le Sean
Feb 18, 2006
No, yeah, but seriously.

Groundskeeper Silly
Sep 1, 2005

My philosophy...
The first rule is:
You look good.
I highly recommend Lost in the Funhouse if you liked IJ, but have a wikipedia handy when you do it. It seems like every other sentence had a word I didn't know or a reference to a Greek god I didn't get or something like that.

aricoarena
Aug 7, 2006
citizenh8 bought me this account because he is a total qt.

Le Sean posted:

No, yeah, but seriously.

Have you got the wheelchair assassins yet? Id say that i had problems getting going, but I do that with most books. Around page 200 I started reading seriously every day. I hit a speed bump around the time with the wraith though.

PopZeus
Aug 11, 2010

aricoarena posted:

Have you got the wheelchair assassins yet? Id say that i had problems getting going, but I do that with most books. Around page 200 I started reading seriously every day. I hit a speed bump around the time with the wraith though.

Honestly, the opening segment with Hal at the college interview hooked me for good. I feel like if you are going to be the type of person to love Infinite Jest, it's going to get you in the first 100 pages, easily. You either get it or you don't!

ShutteredIn
Mar 24, 2005

El Campeon Mundial del Acordeon

Mr. Squishy posted:

List of books mentioned/blurbed/etc by DFW:
http://htmlgiant.com/author-spotlight/dfw-praise-compendium/ I highly recommend David Markson, DFW was heavily influenced by him.

The syllabus for his class is really interesting to me as I've only read 2 of these so far:

quote:

DFW’s Syllabus Texts

Speedboat – Renata Adler
Giovanni’s Room – James Baldwin
Nightwood – Djuna Barnes
In Watermelon Sugar – Richard Brautigan
Play It as It Lays – Joan Didion
Desperate Characters – Paula Fox
The Golden Notebook – Doris Lessing
The Moviegoer – Walker Percy
The Man Who Loved Children – Christina Stead

Sch
Nov 17, 2005

bla bla blaufos!bla bla blaconspiracies!bla bla bla
McSweeney's iPhone app some time ago had an excerpt of Adam Levin's forthcoming novel The Instructions which very much reminded me of DFW. He certainly seems to have the same... playfulness with words and format. The excerpt had me hooked, and I really can't wait until it comes out in November. Oh, and it's also set in a school and over a thousand pages long...

Recently, they featured another piece of him, a reading of a short story originally published in the quarterly some time ago, "Considering the Bittersweet End of Susan Falls", which was also fantastic.

bort
Mar 13, 2003

Le Sean posted:

I was hooked the moment I started reading Erdedy's story of climbing the walls waiting for the woman who'd said she would come.

mighta hit a lil close to home :sweatdrop:

Also, don't skip footnotes. Not that that would ruin the narrative for you, but it's designed to be a fractured experience.

edit: also in re: synchronized reading, I've had a couple tries peter out, too; I also realized that I've started it and not finished it on my own several times. At this point, I can just pick up a copy and open to a random page and start reading and be instantly engaged and within the narrative flow. It's a lot more like a movie than a book in that regard. Any movie I think approaches art, I can just watch a few minutes of the middle, or watch the ending again and so forth. It's such a weird book. I loved the hell out of The Secret History and read it over and over, but always start to finish and I never went back to see what a character said 75% of the way through the book, or to reread the description of something.

bort fucked around with this message at 13:14 on Aug 24, 2010

Konec Hry
Jul 13, 2005

too much love will kill you

Grimey Drawer

bort posted:

I was hooked the moment I started reading Erdedy's story of climbing the walls waiting for the woman who'd said she would come.

mighta hit a lil close to home :sweatdrop:

Exactly this for me too, with a feeling of "so I finally read a passage of a book which I can relate to so very strong and it's this?!". IJ is also the only book I've (so far) finished just to start reading all over again.

Johnny Landmine
Aug 2, 2004

PURE FUCKING AINOGEDDON

Konec Hry posted:

Exactly this for me too, with a feeling of "so I finally read a passage of a book which I can relate to so very strong and it's this?!". IJ is also the only book I've (so far) finished just to start reading all over again.

I didn't start all over again, but the first thing I did when I got to the ending of IJ was go back and read the first chapter again. I was really, really glad I did; one sentence in particular that I'd kind of passed over with the miscellany surrounding it and then forgotten about due to the book's length stuck out like a sore thumb and completely charged my view of What Happened Afterwards. (Should be pretty obvious which sentence I mean.) I'd almost say rereading the first chapter after finishing the book is essential.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Dust Man posted:

I didn't start all over again, but the first thing I did when I got to the ending of IJ was go back and read the first chapter again. I was really, really glad I did; one sentence in particular that I'd kind of passed over with the miscellany surrounding it and then forgotten about due to the book's length stuck out like a sore thumb and completely charged my view of What Happened Afterwards. (Should be pretty obvious which sentence I mean.) I'd almost say rereading the first chapter after finishing the book is essential.

This is what I did as well and I highly recommend it. The next thing I did was get online and start searching for other people's thoughts on the subject.

onefish
Jan 15, 2004

Hey, this thread got interesting in the past few pages!

aricoarena posted:

I honestly would like to know what you mean by this because I've heard other people and critics talk about it and don't know what they mean.

At 150pages in I would mostly agree with you about the characters and plot, though I think you are completly wrong about things being genuine.

Yeah. I'm just fine with discussion coming from people who didn't like the book, but it's interesting that for some readers IJ actually seemed not-genuine. To me, DFW almost always seemed utterly desperate to be genuine, to be honest. He seemed to lay himself bare in an attempt to connect with and understand others and the world around him, and to wrack himself to the utmost trying to show us his characters in such a way, too. Only the dialogue from smart-asses was smart-rear end. Everything else was, to me, about as genuine as one person could be with another.

For people wondering when it gets good - well, it doesn't have to be right for everybody. I was interested from page 1, really interested by page 20, and realized I was completely hooked sometime after page 100 or so. But I didn't see that as the book "getting good," just me getting my head around it.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

flavaaDAAAAAVE posted:

I'm down with this.

I'd also like to do this, though I kind of fully expect it to peter out after a fortnight. Mostly because I'd like to read it after I read a few of his essays which read to me like primers for his more oblique attacks on the same subject.
And IJ had me sold by the triangled fingers.

knees of putty
Apr 2, 2009

gottle o' gear!
Considering the subject of a lot of stories around the AA, I find it quite funny that some people like IJ only after they identify! To me the book became interesting once I'd orientated myself to the style. After about 50 pages in, the stories were so powerful or funny or ludicrous or sad that it was impossible not to like it.

I think it would be a mistake to consider DFW being "honest". The book even goes to great lengths to describe itself as meta (eschaton - mapping - hyperreal - honest about being dishonest - characters flagging themselves as metaphors - cross-dressing and so on). The power of the book is that it presents a multi-faceted look at what people do to survive, amongst other themes. Every single story (apart from perhaps the mountain top conflab, which serve a different role entirely, in my view) are ruminations on what people cling on to in life to get them through (and of course the lies they tell themselves), but it's hard to see the characters as honest in any shape or form.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

barkingclam
Jun 20, 2007
Did anybody else read the Time cover story on Jonathan Franzen? I knew him and DFW were friends but not the extent of it (they were best friends and Franzen helped pull him out of a deep depression shortly before Wallace's death) and how affected Franzen was by Wallace's suicide.

The whole thing doesn't appear to be online, but it's worth checking out.

• Locked thread