Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Machine
Dec 15, 2004
Rage Against / Welcome to
Dang it, GOG, I already have Gothic 2. I need a sale on Gothic 1! :argh:

Can't wait to get paid so I can buy the TA pack, though. Goddamn that's some fine gaming.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magnificent Quiver
May 8, 2003

teethgrinder posted:

It's been a long while, but if I remember correctly, that game supports any resolution right out of the box. Impressive for its time.

TA was one of those very few games that did this. Hell, there are still games being released that don't support widescreen resolutions.

Jabarto
Apr 7, 2007

I could do with your...assistance.

Overwined posted:

The Guild is an amazing genre-breaking game. In it you play an aspiring nobleman in the 1400s. Here is an abbreviated list of what you can do in the game:

• Break into other noble's homes and steal their poo poo
  • Marry a rich woman and lock her in a basement until she dies in order to get her money
  • Bomb other people's homes
  • Torture your enemies for justice or just for some personal vendetta
  • Extort money from any and all wrongdoers
  • Work your way up the political ranks so that you can declare the businesses of your opponents illegal
  • Own a cemetery with the sole goal of raising the people that PAY to be buried there to become your undead (and unpaid!) workforce.

I just bought the game because of this post, despite never having heard of it before. That's how good you make it sound.

Underwhelmed
Mar 7, 2004

Nap Ghost

Jabarto posted:

I just bought the game because of this post, despite never having heard of it before. That's how good you make it sound.

The quoted post paints a completely inaccurate picture of the Guild.

The game is at least 13.7 times more awesome than implied.

Imagine living the life of a priest, starting your own church, making money as a print shop since monks were among the few that would have been literate in that age, and then doing all those things listed above. Also, having a night life as a master of your own thieves' guild while publicly supporting the city watch in an effort to stamp out (other peoples') crime.

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about spending hundreds of dollars on Mass Effect 2 emoticons and Avatars.

Oven Wrangler
Personally I prefer starting out as an Alchemist. If you're not above save-scumming (which I'm not), you can live forever by drinking Faust's elixir every year and just reload if the effect fails. It's funny how no one reacts to your children and grandchildren dying of old age while you live on younger and healthier than you started the game :v:

It's how I always start my empire of evil.

It's also pretty nifty for regaining your health if you get tortured or tossed in the dungeon for a couple of years.

*Edit*

Oh god, I'm getting the urge to play this game again...

AG3 fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Aug 20, 2010

BeanBandit
Mar 15, 2001

Beanbandit?
Son of a bitch!

Jabarto posted:

Yeah, based on Overwined and Underwhelmed's posts, I think GoG is about to make another sale.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

BeanBandit posted:

Yeah, based on Overwined and Underwhelmed's posts, I think GoG is about to make another sale.

And another one. I really hope it's good. Don't let me down goon-review.

Bats
Sep 6, 2003

With great power comes great responsiblity...TO ROCK OUT!
gently caress, I didn't even want The Guild. I was debating Spellforce... Talk about a 180. The Guild sounds like it would be a lot of fun.

Drlupinmario
Aug 18, 2010

by T. Finn
So who wants to play some of theese games together? I have a ton, like earth 2150, 2160 and Freedom Force vs the Third Reich

Maide
Aug 21, 2008

There's a Starman waiting in the sky...
At first I thought you had to buy all of those games to get the promo price, but then I figured out that you didn't and I bought The Guild. Thanks, goon review!

Bill Posters
Apr 27, 2007

I'm tripping right now... Don't fuck this up for me.

Count me in as another sucker 'The Guild' Purchase (I'm supposed to be saving money dammit :argh:).

Does anyone else have an opinion on the sequel? Assuming I like this one would the new one be worth picking up next time it goes on sale?

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about spending hundreds of dollars on Mass Effect 2 emoticons and Avatars.

Oven Wrangler
The sequel seems to be pretty universally less liked than the first game. I haven't played it myself so I don't know much in the way of details.

Lord_Pigeonbane
Nov 24, 2002

Just the ladies, now!
Guild II was a bit of a mess when it was released. I've heard that it's gotten better after some patchery, but I haven't confirmed that.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Well poo poo, I'm not one to miss a bandwagon. Getting The Guild and Better Than Oblivion 2.

Lord_Pigeonbane
Nov 24, 2002

Just the ladies, now!
Elias_Maluco, you said that you liked the Realms of Arkania games. Should they be played in order, or should I start with part 2? Is part 3 worth getting as well?

xarph
Jun 18, 2001

Has anyone else found that TA, fullscreened, flickers every couple of seconds? I'm running Win7 x64 with a radeon 4850. Windowed mode works, but in windowed mode the resolution is capped to 1280x1024 and the window is not re-positionable :(

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Lord_Pigeonbane posted:

Elias_Maluco, you said that you liked the Realms of Arkania games. Should they be played in order, or should I start with part 2? Is part 3 worth getting as well?

I never finished the first: interface and graphics seemed way too primitive, since I had played 2 first. Perhaps I will try again.

RoA 2 is the best one: huge map, lots of cities and dungeons, great plot. Ro3 improves on the graphics, but is focused in one single town.

And for me one of the best parts of this game is traveling on the huge and difficult world map. Never saw a game were traveling is so dangeours and hard (you have to camp, to find provisions, defend yourself against thieves and creatures, you can easily get lost and run out of everything and have your party members get sick and die. It helps that the world is so alive and realistic, the cities huge and, even though you dont have a 100 thousand generic quests, there's always something interesting happening.

RoA 3 is not bad, but being stuck to one town (albeit big and detailed) makes it a lot less interesting. RoA 1 is probably good too, its just looks too ungly if you played any of the others first.

As far as I can remember, there's little continuity between the plot of the 3 games, so dont worry about that. But if Im not mistaken, you can import the party of the previous game.

Thompsons
Aug 28, 2008

Ask me about onklunk extraction.
I never played the Guild 2, but the impression I get is not only was it buggy but it was also a huge pain in the rear end to play since, instead of just directing your workers and spending action points on bettering your character, you had to micromanage three different members of your dynasty as once. Even the first Guild could get pretty overwhelming by late-game, so I can only imagine how tedious it would be to do it with three characters at once.

Jabarto
Apr 7, 2007

I could do with your...assistance.

Thompsons posted:

Even the first Guild could get pretty overwhelming by late-game, so I can only imagine how tedious it would be to do it with three characters at once.

It looks overwhelming to me already, and I haven't even finished the tutorial. The thought of undercutting my rivals with undead slave labor is keeping me going, though.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

I never even thought of playing The Guild before, but reading this thread made me buy it.

beef express
Sep 7, 2005

The highest technique is to have no technique.

Bill Posters posted:

Count me in as another sucker 'The Guild' Purchase (I'm supposed to be saving money dammit :argh:).

Does anyone else have an opinion on the sequel? Assuming I like this one would the new one be worth picking up next time it goes on sale?

Not sure about 2 vanilla, but the standalone expansion Renaissance is still buggy as poo poo. There's a patch due the end of August, but there are some gamebreaking bugs at the moment (dynasty children not controllable, people getting stuck in buildings, AI doesn't ever bring charges against you). There is an interesting game somewhere in there, but right now you really need to put up with a lot of poo poo to find it.

Also no tutorial, manual that was only partially translated. Yeah.

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Elias_Maluco posted:

And for me one of the best parts of this game is traveling on the huge and difficult world map. Never saw a game were traveling is so dangeours and hard (you have to camp, to find provisions, defend yourself against thieves and creatures, you can easily get lost and run out of everything and have your party members get sick and die.

This description reminds me of Aidyn Chronicles on N64 :lol:

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages

Overwined posted:

:words: about The Guild

That sounds cool. I just bought The Guild along with the Total Annihilation pack.

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

Wine can of their wits the wise beguile,
Make the sage frolic, and the serious smile.
Well, since a bunch of people bought The Guild on my advice, I'll do you guys a solid and give you some general pointers as well as a guide to the most lucrative starting profession: thievery.

GENERAL TIPS
  • I love lists
  • Some of the interface mechanics are pretty obscure. One of the most frustrating is the cart manipulation. It works by simply highlighting the cart in your shop then hitting the destinations button and sending it to the market icon on the map. After a short while you'll be able to see the cart at any market stall. You can click and hold thee LMB and move the mouse up and down to move quantities.
  • As soon as you can afford it, buy one or more walking sticks. You can find these in the "Wood & Iron" market stall and they are pretty cheap all things considered. You can buy goods like this without a cart in the market. Basically click and pick up up to 3 of them and then click over to the little bag icon on the market window. That'll open up your personal bag so drop them in there. To activate the walking sticks close the market window (right click) and click the bag in the lower right corner of the screen. Then just click the stick once. Once activated the stick gives you 1 extra AP for 4 consecutive years. AP are hard to come by early in the game and this helps a lot.
  • I also find Endurance Potions to be useful to keep on hand. You buy and activate them them the same way as walking stick. When activated you get 2 bonus AP and you can only use one per year. If you are behind on AP and have the cash I suppose you could chug one a year, but I think that doesn't make a lot of sense. I keep them on hand for those moments when I need emergency AP like when I need to visit the doctor or I am just a couple shy of a new master grade or something. Other potions/perfumes can be very useful but are more up to personal style.
  • Likewise, anything you can do to help AP income is good. Improve your house with the +AP upgrades ASAP.
  • A lot of options are under the menu that comes up when you click your name on the top bar. Again, this page can have a lot more options than you can see, so use your scroll wheel to see all the options. Here is where you set laws, see your perks, go to the doctor, change occupations and many other useful functions.
  • Clicking on your shield on the top bar is also useful, but exclusively for family tree actions such as giving your kids money and sending them to school/uni. It's also useful to see which rich relatives are about to kick off and give you sweet cash.
  • Always have a little cash in hand at the end of the day so you can pay your taxes and other yearly expenses.

THIEVES GUILD GUIDE
The Thieves guild is in my opinion the most lucrative starting profession. You can make tons of money pretty quickly with this guild. However, this is the one profession where a master craftsman CANNOT run it, so in order to make money you'll have to give the guild your constant attention. Since you won't have a lot to do early game this works fine anyway. There are some risks to robbing people blind, but other than the money there are other thieves guild perks. With the thieves guild you can set other's buildings on fire and bankrupt your opponents. The highest grade thief in town sometimes gets named to an honorary position which carries no power, but gives you a salary. Also, the only way to obtain a Robber's Den is to arm your thieves and forcefully take one over.

HOW TO START:
  • Mmmm...bullets
  • The first few years in the thieves guild is very slow money wise, but will eventually skyrocket into amazing lucrativity. Yeah, I made that word up.
  • There are three available thief slots in your guild to start. One of these slots is occupied already. The first thing you want to do is hire a second thief.
  • At first your thieves are not good enough to be good burglars, which is where the real money is. We need to build up a bit of cash for basic improvements and for a third thief. So, keep your thieves constantly out pickpocketing. The income isn't great here, but should afford you basic upgrades.
  • When you have enough money to buy a third thief, do so. Immediately start this thief training his stealth skill while keeping the other two still out pickpocketing. When he has 5 or more stars in stealth send him out pickpocketing too. He will make a bit more than the others, but not enough yet to be useful. However, when you send him out, put one of the other two on stealth training until 5 or more stars then do the same to the last thief. Make sure to upgrade them to journeyman thieves as soon as you can.
  • Once all thieves are up to 5 or more stars in stealth it is time to start pulling down the real cash. First, you must send out two thieves to scout out a local house. Don't bother with businesses as they rarely have enough cash to make it worth it. If your thieves are properly trained and both journeyman, two of them should bring a house up to 100% reconnoitered. Check this status on the paper that sits on the table in the rec room. Since you can only send 2 out to scout at a time at the first building level you may want to send the third out pickpocketing to maximize his time.
  • Once the house is at 100% reconnoitered, send your highest stealth thief there to break in. I have heard that success rates are better after 8pm, but you can be reasonably successful any time of the day. Now is when you can stop worrying about money.
  • If you get caught trying to break into a place, let it "cool off" until the following year. I find that chances are high you'll get caught again if you try right after being caught. Don't worry, the scouted home will still be on your intelligence dossier and still robbable the next year.
  • Upgrade the Thieves Guild ASAP. This lets you have more scouts out at one time as well as lets you rob greater level houses. At level 1 you can only rob Houses. At Level 2, Townhouses. At level 3 Palaces. Upgraded Guilds also let you have cool poo poo like the prison to kidnap people (including your wife, parents, or even your children if you're especially wicked).
  • From here you probably have the hang of it. Bring in more thieves and train them up to a high stealth level. Lather rinse repeat. I find that the guild can hold far more thieves than I can manage so at level 3 I usually don't have a full complement of thieves. Saves money on wages, anyway.
  • When you have thieves free, you may want to train up their combat skill. Of course this will help you storm the robber's den if you choose to do that. But, if you notice when you get caught your thieves fight with the police for awhile. Higher combat skill allows them to take less damage during these fights and also gives them a chance at getting away without you having to pay a fine.
  • Choose marks closest to you for best usage of time. If a mark close to you is particularly poor, hit them over and over again and they'll eventually go tits up and move out. Hopefully to allow room for a richer neighbor. You can bankrupt rival dynasties this way, all the while getting rich as poo poo yourself.
  • While you are building your thievery business, spend AP ONLY in advancing your master grade and your own personal stealth skill. Your skill trickles down to all things thief-y.
  • Believe it or not, once you get to Grand Master in Thievery I find that the best second profession is Tailor. Tailor can be run automatically like a lot of other professions, but it has a meeting place where you can call people in and for the cost of only 1 AP you can get pretty much ALL the dirt on someone. This is by far the quickest and cheapest method to get dirt on people. The only downside is that you get dirt on random people. I have even gotten quite a bit of dirt on my own wife before. However, if you want dirt on someone specifically, choose someone in the same court as them and you are more likely to get dirt on the target person. From there if someone is particularly troublesome to you call them out and have them imprisoned and tortured or blackmail them, your call.
  • Indulgences are your friend. Because you are committing a sin every time you steal, church members will always hate your guts. You can spend AP in the confession booth, but I suggest you Get Thee to a Chancery! Indulgences are actually pretty cheap once you have a bit of cash and you can absolved your sins in one fell swoop. The upside to keeping your rap sheet with God clean is that there will be less dirt on you that opponents can get their grubby hands on.
  • From here the game opens up and you can do whatever appeals to you. It's natural that you will ignore your thieves guild a bit as you expand, but that's okay because it's a great springboard into the wider world! If I remember correctly, if you put a boss in place in the Thieves Guild he trains your thieves and pretty much just sends them out pickpocketing. This is fine and a good way to make your guild do something if you plan to ignore it.

Overwined fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Aug 20, 2010

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
I just picked up the Guild based on the recommendations in this thread. I also got Painkiller and Realms of Arkania as well (well, RoA 3 - I already had 1 + 2 so I figured I might as well complete the set).

You're all filthy enablers.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

The Cheshire Cat posted:

I just picked up the Guild based on the recommendations in this thread. I also got Painkiller and Realms of Arkania as well (well, RoA 3 - I already had 1 + 2 so I figured I might as well complete the set).

You're all filthy enablers.

Yesterday, after buying (for me The Guild, Spellforce and Painkiller), I went to look my list of games on gog. It actually made me sad.

There so many games on it I would have to quit my job and social life to play then all in a couple of years.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Yeah, I had a similar realization yesterday: "Man, look at all these games. I hope there are some "Let's Plays" for them..."

"...nah, I probably won't even watch the Let's Plays for 'em."

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
I think I screwed up in The Guild, I bought Iron for the making bombs, but I can't unload it anywhere on the store, what gives?

Thompsons
Aug 28, 2008

Ask me about onklunk extraction.

Honest Thief posted:

I think I screwed up in The Guild, I bought Iron for the making bombs, but I can't unload it anywhere on the store, what gives?

Did you upgrade your storeroom so it has slots for holding iron?

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009

Thompsons posted:

Did you upgrade your storeroom so it has slots for holding iron?

Unless it's a later upgrade, and as such hidden, I couldn't find it in the tree.

ImpactVector
Feb 24, 2007

HAHAHAHA FOOLS!!
I AM SO SMART!

Uh oh. What did he do now?

Nap Ghost

Honest Thief posted:

Unless it's a later upgrade, and as such hidden, I couldn't find it in the tree.
You have to click on the shelves in your working area. That'll let you upgrade your storage.

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
Thanks will try that, no need to dump the cargo now.

Ohthehugemanatee
Oct 18, 2005
The Guild is absolutely captivating. The game doesn't give you much guidance but it's pretty easy to try strategies out and learn what works and what doesn't. It also keeps surprising me by always being just a little bit deeper than I expect it to be.

Thanks for pushing this one. I never would have given it a shot based on its official description and I would have missed a hell of a game.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Not to mention that, in spite of the hard shine of the rest of the site, GOG.com's screenshots are always very low-res and high in jpeg artifacts. Why make the site so pretty, when your screenies are so ugly?

GoldenNugget
Mar 27, 2008
:dukedog:

doctorfrog posted:

Yeah, I had a similar realization yesterday: "Man, look at all these games. I hope there are some "Let's Plays" for them..."

"...nah, I probably won't even watch the Let's Plays for 'em."

yep that's what my life is turning into too... :(

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
Picked up Two Worlds to treat myself for getting a dollar raise and more hours for work. Does it control better with a gamepad or M+K?

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

Picked up Two Worlds to treat myself for getting a dollar raise and more hours for work. Does it control better with a gamepad or M+K?

M+K of course.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008

GreenNight posted:

M+K of course.

Yeah, just fired it up, doesn't even look like it supports gamepads. I thought it was a 360 port, but I guess I must be confusing it with something else.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

Yeah, just fired it up, doesn't even look like it supports gamepads. I thought it was a 360 port, but I guess I must be confusing it with something else.

Two Worlds was ported to the 360. I'm hoping Two Worlds II is of better quality. The sheer brokenness of a lot of Two World's mechanics made it lose its appeal early on for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Overwined posted:

Helpful tips for The Guild
I actually copy-pasted this to a text file for reference. Thanks.

Evil Fluffy posted:

Two Worlds was ported to the 360. I'm hoping Two Worlds II is of better quality. The sheer brokenness of a lot of Two World's mechanics made it lose its appeal early on for me.
For some of us, the brokenness is the appeal.

The MSJ fucked around with this message at 02:55 on Aug 21, 2010