Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

Party Composition:
* Human Ranger 3 (Me) - I switch between Ranged and Melee. For ranged, I'm doing +6 (or +4/+4 with Rapid Shot) for 1d8+4 with my Longbow, and in melee, I'm doing +8 for 2d4+7 with my Falchion. I also have Power Attack, so, I'm usually doing 2d4+10 on a hit.
* Human Rogue 3 - Dual Shortsword, Acrobatics in to place for Sneak Attack. Has fun rolling handfuls of d6s.
* Halfling Sorcerer 3 - Mostly just fires off Magic Missile every round, uses Sleep occasionally
* Human Cavalier 2/Paladin 1 - Charging ability and horse are irrelevant for the most part as most of our fights are in dungeons with 5 ft hallways
* Half-Elf Cleric 2/Paladin 1 - Healbot

I think most of the issue is that I'm really the only person in the party who cares about optimization, besides the Rogue, who I built for another player who was new to the game. I consistently outdamage the other players as it is, and I think my DM is afraid of worsening the gap. Honestly, I can see where being able to do 4d6+8 might be a concern, but when I DM, I'm always of the opinion that "If it's in the book, you can use it". Of course, I've only ever DM'd in 4e, so that might have something to do with that. I think I'm just going to have to wait until I'm at the point where I'm completely overpowered by (competent) spellcasters before I'm allowed to take the spell. :sigh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Danhenge
Dec 16, 2005
Just memorize it and then forget about it until poo poo looks like it's going South (as it can often do suddenly in 3.*) and then whip it out.

counterspin
Apr 2, 2010

Someone in your party is a full caster using a serious spell(Sleep). You therefore have the right to go about your business. Does he really think that increasing you damage a step is worse than ending an encounter with one spell?

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Well, the spellcaster proclaimed that the APG was "broken" before the DM had gotten to look at it, so that probably poisoned her on the idea from the start, and she is generally opposed to my philosophy of "picking the the most optimum feats/spells" vs. hers of "picking fluffier choices and building a unique little snowflake", so pretty much all the choices I make are considered "overpowered"/"broken". I understand if she just wants to disallow use of the APG, but she let the Cleric take a sub-domain from it or whatever. I'm going to try and get her to actually look at the spell in the book rather than only being exposed to it through me explaining it to her, and see if that changes anything. Glad to know I'm not going crazy about these things being Not That Bad! If all else fails, I'll just c/p this thread derail and email it to her.

Hypnobeard
Sep 15, 2004

Obey the Beard

Yeah, I certainly wouldn't think twice about including it as-written in my game.

I don't think it's a thread derail, either, since we are talking about Pathfinder.

counterspin
Apr 2, 2010

This is exactly the sort of infuriating poo poo I hate. She can get away with being a special snowflake and choosing whatever strikes her fancy because she has chosen a class where she can easily out pace you without paying any attention to the way she builds her character.

Additionally, why does it matter what another player thinks? What does the GM think? Or am I just getting confused with the reuse of the pronoun "she" here?

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

The DM (she) has not yet read the APG, as far as I know. Her only knowledge of it comes from the sorcerer in our group, who proclaims every non-core book in every system we play "broken" (This includes stuff like the "_____ Power" series in 4e). It is her first time DMing, so I guess she is just relying on his opinion to determine this. I'm hoping to get a copy of it into her hands this weekend so she can form an opinion for herself.

The last campaign the DM and I were both players in was 3.5. I was a Level 13 Vow of Poverty Druid with a Fleshraker Dinosaur animal companion. She was a Ranger 6/Paladin 7 who was built solely around the gimmick of Smiting Evil at range.

Klungar fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Aug 20, 2010

Hypnobeard
Sep 15, 2004

Obey the Beard

Point the GM at the PFSRD: http://www.d20pfsrd.com/

It's got all the stuff from the APG available so she can peruse it herself.

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Tolan posted:

Point the GM at the PFSRD: http://www.d20pfsrd.com/

It's got all the stuff from the APG available so she can peruse it herself.

Are feats and spells up yet? We use that all the time, and I personally wasn't able to find them on there.

Hypnobeard
Sep 15, 2004

Obey the Beard

Klungar posted:

Are feats and spells up yet? We use that all the time, and I personally wasn't able to find them on there.

Looks like spells + class stuff are up, but feats are still not there.

grah
Jul 26, 2007
brainsss

Tolan posted:

Looks like spells + class stuff are up, but feats are still not there.

They're on the database but not on the html pages. So if you use the spells database (the google doc, basically) then you should find all the APG spells but if you click on "All Spells" on the sidebar you won't find any of them.

Dr. Tough
Oct 22, 2007

Klungar posted:

Well, the spellcaster proclaimed that the APG was "broken" before the DM had gotten to look at it, so that probably poisoned her on the idea from the start, and she is generally opposed to my philosophy of "picking the the most optimum feats/spells" vs. hers of "picking fluffier choices and building a unique little snowflake", so pretty much all the choices I make are considered "overpowered"/"broken". I understand if she just wants to disallow use of the APG, but she let the Cleric take a sub-domain from it or whatever. I'm going to try and get her to actually look at the spell in the book rather than only being exposed to it through me explaining it to her, and see if that changes anything. Glad to know I'm not going crazy about these things being Not That Bad! If all else fails, I'll just c/p this thread derail and email it to her.

What would be an example of a "fluffier choice" for comparison?

Jeb Bush 2012
Apr 4, 2007

A mathematician, like a painter or poet, is a maker of patterns. If his patterns are more permanent than theirs, it is because they are made with ideas.

counterspin posted:

This is exactly the sort of infuriating poo poo I hate. She can get away with being a special snowflake and choosing whatever strikes her fancy because she has chosen a class where she can easily out pace you without paying any attention to the way she builds her character.

Additionally, why does it matter what another player thinks? What does the GM think? Or am I just getting confused with the reuse of the pronoun "she" here?

Well, from the description of their playstyles he gave it sounds like the people playing good classes are really bad, so that might balance it a bit. :v:

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Dr. Tough posted:

What would be an example of a "fluffier choice" for comparison?

My DM has on more than one occasion non-ironically recommended taking Craft as a skill, people multiclassing into Paladin because "My god will like it!", playing a Paladin with a bow in 3.5... nothing major, just nothing the optimizer in me would ever consider. Before starting, I usually try to plan out a 1-20/30 outline of my character, and usually don't deviate too much from that. Different play styles, but by focusing on combat I definitely help make it possible for the other guys to do their "fun" stuff.

Dr. Tough
Oct 22, 2007

Klungar posted:

My DM has on more than one occasion non-ironically recommended taking Craft as a skill, people multiclassing into Paladin because "My god will like it!", playing a Paladin with a bow in 3.5... nothing major, just nothing the optimizer in me would ever consider. Before starting, I usually try to plan out a 1-20/30 outline of my character, and usually don't deviate too much from that. Different play styles, but by focusing on combat I definitely help make it possible for the other guys to do their "fun" stuff.

Well paladin with a bow is a little odd, but I don't see anything wrong with someone taking craft. Maybe their character has an actual job that they do when they're not murdering goblins. Or maybe carpentry (or whatever) is a serious hobby for them. If they want to multi-class into paladin to placate their patron deity that could be an interesting oppurtunity for some side questing. If people are branching out from pure combat, your DM should make an effort to lower the difficulty of the encounters.

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Dr. Tough posted:

Well paladin with a bow is a little odd, but I don't see anything wrong with someone taking craft. Maybe their character has an actual job that they do when they're not murdering goblins. Or maybe carpentry (or whatever) is a serious hobby for them. If they want to multi-class into paladin to placate their patron deity that could be an interesting oppurtunity for some side questing. If people are branching out from pure combat, your DM should make an effort to lower the difficulty of the encounters.

I'm not saying there is anything wrong with that. I'm just saying the rest of the players are taking non-combat-optimal skills/feats because they'd rather take skills/feats that add to their character and influence the story, which is their choice and their right. The problem is, my choices are being limited because I strengthen my character's backstory and characterization through the way I act as them and the way they interact with the other players, and leave my skills/feats for making me more effective in combat. In my world, my character can be a carpenter without having to waste ranks in Craft: Carpentry. As they saying goes, "Keep loving that dog!"

Oh, and we are running through Rise of the Runelords, and if anything, my DM is making the encounters more difficult, not less.

Danhenge
Dec 16, 2005

Dr. Tough posted:

skill points are way too critical and fiddly if you want to make certain kinds of prestige classes to gently caress around with craft or profession or whatever

Idran
Jan 13, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Danhenge posted:

skill points are way too critical and fiddly if you want to make certain kinds of prestige classes to gently caress around with craft or profession or whatever

Really? I've never done much optimization-wise, what kinds are those? I always thought skills were the easy part of things.

grah
Jul 26, 2007
brainsss
We've had to ban adamantium picks in my game because their use in conjunction with Craft(Mining) was making large parts of dungeons trivial.

Dr. Tough
Oct 22, 2007

Klungar posted:

I'm not saying there is anything wrong with that. I'm just saying the rest of the players are taking non-combat-optimal skills/feats because they'd rather take skills/feats that add to their character and influence the story, which is their choice and their right. The problem is, my choices are being limited because I strengthen my character's backstory and characterization through the way I act as them and the way they interact with the other players, and leave my skills/feats for making me more effective in combat. In my world, my character can be a carpenter without having to waste ranks in Craft: Carpentry. As they saying goes, "Keep loving that dog!"

Oh, and we are running through Rise of the Runelords, and if anything, my DM is making the encounters more difficult, not less.

You just need a better DM. If people want to make combat light characters it's probably not a good idea to run a combat heavy game (I'm not really familiar with Rise of the Runelords). When I GM I make sure to tell the players "this game will be combat heavy" or "this game will be mostly intrigue" or "make sure your characters are willing to do X" to make sure that this disconnect doesn't occur. And I hate to get into an argument about these kind of details, but if you told me that your character was a carpenter I would make you take at least couple points in Craft: Carpentry. It would be like saying that a character was a cat burglar but not taking stealth or climb.

Danhenge
Dec 16, 2005

Idran posted:

Really? I've never done much optimization-wise, what kinds are those? I always thought skills were the easy part of things.

Well to be honest those were mostly from the Complete line of books. Dunno how bad pathfinder has it.

Idran
Jan 13, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Danhenge posted:

Well to be honest those were mostly from the Complete line of books. Dunno how bad pathfinder has it.

Oh, that'd be why, I never looked really heavily at those back in 3.5. How bad could they get?

Jeb Bush 2012
Apr 4, 2007

A mathematician, like a painter or poet, is a maker of patterns. If his patterns are more permanent than theirs, it is because they are made with ideas.

Dr. Tough posted:

You just need a better DM. If people want to make combat light characters it's probably not a good idea to run a combat heavy game (I'm not really familiar with Rise of the Runelords). When I GM I make sure to tell the players "this game will be combat heavy" or "this game will be mostly intrigue" or "make sure your characters are willing to do X" to make sure that this disconnect doesn't occur. And I hate to get into an argument about these kind of details, but if you told me that your character was a carpenter I would make you take at least couple points in Craft: Carpentry. It would be like saying that a character was a cat burglar but not taking stealth or climb.

So what you're saying is you would punish players for saying their character used to be a carpenter? This right here is a good example of why having things like "craft: carpentry" which cost skill points is a bad idea.

Anonymous Zebra
Oct 21, 2005
Blending in like it ain't no thang
^^^ I often give my players 4 or 5 "free" skill points that they are allowed to put into craft or profession skills if they are constantly role-playing themselves doing such during long bouts of downtime. They basically started "Shackled City" and "Age of Worms" as working-class chumps and I let them fill in a non-combat skill to max for free when they generated characters.

What's really funny is that my experience with Paizo AP's is that they are massively deadly sometimes and have given my party of mostly optimizers a run for their money quite often. I can't count the number of times while playing "Age of Worms" that the party got cocky and then someone died because they walked into another ambush.

I mean these are the guys then ended an Adventure Path with a final boss that had a divine blast that could hit someone two miles away. He never really gets a chance to use it, but the fact that it's an option made me chuckle.

Anonymous Zebra fucked around with this message at 03:22 on Aug 21, 2010

Dr. Tough
Oct 22, 2007

Jeb Bush 2012 posted:

So what you're saying is you would punish players for saying their character used to be a carpenter? This right here is a good example of why having things like "craft: carpentry" which cost skill points is a bad idea.

I don't see how that would be punishment, all it takes is a couple points. I'd even make sure to give them opportunities to use it so they don't feel like they "wasted" it.

Jeb Bush 2012
Apr 4, 2007

Dr. Tough posted:

I don't see how that would be punishment, all it takes is a couple points. I'd even make sure to give them opportunities to use it so they don't feel like they "wasted" it.

If you can't see how having to spend skill points on carpentry instead of, like, any other skill is a penalty then I don't even know

Dr. Tough
Oct 22, 2007

Jeb Bush 2012 posted:

If you can't see how having to spend skill points on carpentry instead of, like, any other skill is a penalty then I don't even know

Your character is not going to implode because you had to put a couple points into craft instead of ride or whatever. If people have a problem with this then they shouldn't put things like that into their background. Or they should play in less difficult campaigns where their survival doesn't depend on that extra bluff point.

Hypnobeard
Sep 15, 2004

Obey the Beard

Yeah, particularly for classes in 3.5 with 2+Int skill points (like, fighters). Skill points are "welp, that's the skill I'm raising this level!" affair for them.

Anonymous Zebra
Oct 21, 2005
Blending in like it ain't no thang

Dr. Tough posted:

Your character is not going to implode because you had to put a couple points into craft instead of ride or whatever. If people have a problem with this then they shouldn't put things like that into their background. Or they should play in less difficult campaigns where their survival doesn't depend on that extra bluff point.

I'm going to have to disagree with you on this one. At early levels every skill point counts and can be a matter of life or death when it comes to not falling off a bridge over a 1,000 foot deep gorge, or successfully turning off a trap that might kill your rogue. Not to mention that several classes only get a few skill points to work with and can have these problems even at the high levels.

Someone being punished for "putting things like that into their background" is a fun way to ruin the charm of a game and make your players less likely to even both coming up with a character history. Just let your player take 5 free points of craft (baskets) and relax with the knowledge that having points in that skill will never make them unbalanced in combat nor come close to making them any meaningful amount of extra cash.

Dr. Tough
Oct 22, 2007

Anonymous Zebra posted:

I'm going to have to disagree with you on this one. At early levels every skill point counts and can be a matter of life or death when it comes to not falling off a bridge over a 1,000 foot deep gorge, or successfully turning off a trap that might kill your rogue. Not to mention that several classes only get a few skill points to work with and can have these problems even at the high levels.

Someone being punished for "putting things like that into their background" is a fun way to ruin the charm of a game and make your players less likely to even both coming up with a character history. Just let your player take 5 free points of craft (baskets) and relax with the knowledge that having points in that skill will never make them unbalanced in combat nor come close to making them any meaningful amount of extra cash.

Well I should point out something right now that is probably important to this discussion. When I DM people's characters aren't really in danger of dying. They can only die in one of three ways: Choosing to kill their character, dying at the hand of the villain, or through their own sheer stupidity. Now that's not to say that the game can't be challenging or that they can't be punished for failure. But my philosophy is that the characters should drive the plot forward so having them die from chasms wouldn't jive with that. So, putting a couple points in baskets isn't really a big deal in my group. I wish more people ran things that way. Now obviously not everyone sees it that way, thus people seem to get a little defensive of their skill points.

Danhenge
Dec 16, 2005
Uh, if the party's 18 int wizard with 5 ranks in alchemy rolls a 6 or better three weeks in a row they'll finish a flask of acid in that time. I'm not sure they really earned that.

edit: actually i just did the math and it's probably more like four weeks. i guess that might be ok

Danhenge fucked around with this message at 05:04 on Aug 21, 2010

grah
Jul 26, 2007
brainsss
I don't really get the argument that Craft is a useless skill. If you take it in a stupid area that can't possibly ever matter then it's your own fault. With a set of appropriate artisan's tools players can and should find creative ways to use their Craft skills if they chose to take any. Party can't lift or move some heavy object? Why not build some scaffolding and pullies with your Craft(Carpentry) and maybe some Knowledge(Engineering)? A character with enough ranks in craft(blacksmith) can save the party gold on weapons and armor, probably repair some sundered equipment, and even turn a profit without ripping off other party members. Throw on the Master Craftsman feat at level 5 and you've got a very useful crafts build.

Obviously a fighter who spends one of his 2 (or possibly less if he has low int) skill points on craft doesn't have that skill point for something that is probably more frequently useful. But fighters are typically military types and not prone to having a great deal of artisanship in their backgrounds. Why would you make a skill-intensive fighter build in the first place?

veekie
Dec 25, 2007

Dice of Chaos

grah posted:

I don't really get the argument that Craft is a useless skill. If you take it in a stupid area that can't possibly ever matter then it's your own fault. With a set of appropriate artisan's tools players can and should find creative ways to use their Craft skills if they chose to take any. Party can't lift or move some heavy object? Why not build some scaffolding and pullies with your Craft(Carpentry) and maybe some Knowledge(Engineering)? A character with enough ranks in craft(blacksmith) can save the party gold on weapons and armor, probably repair some sundered equipment, and even turn a profit without ripping off other party members. Throw on the Master Craftsman feat at level 5 and you've got a very useful crafts build.

It's actually not that building stuff is useless, even non-magical, non-alchemical things, on the contrary, building stuff is ridiculously useful, as any wizard with Fabricate, Minor/Major Creation and Polymorph Any Object would likely attest to.

The thing is, crafting takes forever. Building in increments of weeks and silver pieces when adventuring is generally days or hours critical, and works in gold pieces means that without magic the whole party will be sitting there for a while for the skill to be exercised without a good DM. It's easier by far at later levels to buy the things you'd need and pack it in extradimensional storage, or just get the spellcasters to fix it.
Letting mundane construction times scale more quickly with skill would probably help a lot.

Master Craftsman, on the other hand is a great idea, except it probably could have been just as well to make Craft skills an alternate prereq for crafting feats instead of needing to blow another feat on it.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

Dr. Tough posted:

what the gently caress is this anyway

''okay, so you've felled the epic dragon, but the baron is not impressed. he says to truely become the heroes of legend, you must beat him in a basket weaving competition!''

all eyes turn to falrgrin the fighter and his two points in weaving. it was time.

LionYeti
Oct 12, 2008

I'm playing Pathfinder despite my 4.0 protests in my college gamers guild cause it was either that or Shadowrun again. As per usual no one wanted to be the Cleric so it falls to me. I need some assistance in optimization needs to be a dwarf though for the story I wanna tell.

Jeb Bush 2012
Apr 4, 2007

blakout posted:

I'm playing Pathfinder despite my 4.0 protests in my college gamers guild cause it was either that or Shadowrun again. As per usual no one wanted to be the Cleric so it falls to me. I need some assistance in optimization needs to be a dwarf though for the story I wanna tell.

What, just being a cleric isn't broken enough for you?

veekie
Dec 25, 2007

Dice of Chaos
Well, even if you ask, a few basic clues like party makeup, game premise and level would help. Clerics are fairly strong anyway, so it's pretty hard to do it wrong entirely.

LionYeti
Oct 12, 2008

We have a Pali Rogue and Wizard/Arcane Archer possibly. Sorry I was being vague its just a longass time since I have played 3.5 and the first time I've played PF.

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

blakout posted:

Check out this and this for tips.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

counterspin
Apr 2, 2010

Skip the healing spells and go straight for as much offense as you can grab, mixing in any stronger debuffs that come across your spell list. Anything that removes an enemy from a fight is awesome. Also, when you get to the save or dies (Planeshift represent!) get those. Which is of course applicable advice for any full caster of any level, but I'm gonna hand it out anyway.