Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kemper Boyd
Aug 6, 2007

no kings, no gods, no masters but a comfy chair and no socks

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

I wonder what would have happened if George Lucas decided to not do the PT and allowed the EU to cover the years prior to the OT....

You can see glimpses of that in the WEG Empire Sourcebook for the Star Wars RPG. Like everyone else, they were not really allowed to cover anything before the OT, but apparently Lucas agreed on some things being told.

The rise of Palpatine is actually more intelligent in the RPG books than how it turned out in the PT.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

I wonder what would have happened if George Lucas decided to not do the PT and allowed the EU to cover the years prior to the OT....

Lots of Thrawn stuff. And probably more reasonable extrapolations from the OT than what Lucas gave us, like Anakin would be a decorated adult war hero before training under Obi-Wan (not a problem before Lucas decreed that all Jedi needed to start training as babbies), Leia and Luke's mother wouldn't be a lame democratically elected queen and would survive long enough for Leia to credibly remember her, Yoda wouldn't use a lightsaber, Palpatine wouldn't necessarily be called a Sith, Tatooine would be Obi-Wan's home planet instead of Anakin's, and Owen would still be Obi-Wan's brother, no bullshit about Jedi not having families, Victory class Star Destroyers, Bail Organa would be a kick-rear end general before retiring to politics, we'd loving see poo poo go down on Alderaan, the Clone Wars would probably have both sides with Clones and Palpatine would only be pulling all the strings on the Republic end. And if Zahn wrote it we'd probably have some bullshit about Mara Jade's Jedi parents and Talon Karrde starting out as a small-timer.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

Kemper Boyd posted:

You can see glimpses of that in the WEG Empire Sourcebook for the Star Wars RPG. Like everyone else, they were not really allowed to cover anything before the OT, but apparently Lucas agreed on some things being told.

The rise of Palpatine is actually more intelligent in the RPG books than how it turned out in the PT.

I doubt nobody would predict Palpatines rise of power would be aided by a retarded lizard man.

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

Kemper Boyd posted:

Actually, as I recall it's more or less word-for-word taken from the old 70s novelization, which presumably featured backstory provided by Lucas to his ghost writer. Palpatine just became more an active participant, and less the pawn of various interests and shadowy advisors, at whatever point in the filming of the OT Lucas decided he was going to be an evil space wizard.

DougieFFC
Mar 19, 2004

We are Fulham, super Fulham, we are Fulham, fuck Ch*lsea.

Captain von Trapp posted:

I really dislike the EU for reasons well enumerated in this thread and the last - basically, that it's usually incredibly stupid.

It should be re-stated that an awful lot of us who bitch and bitch about the EU do actually really like it. Sure, the main heroes stories have been loving dumb since LOTF, but there's a fair amount of really great stuff. The varying standard of the literature reflects probably the varying standard of sci-fi authors as a whole, and the only thing that sets the EU apart is that once something is written and published, there's no backsies - it's part of the continuity for good.

As for the great, non-stupid stuff, it's more than people realise. So you have:
- The 8 novels Zahn has written (Thrawn trilogy, HoT duology, Outbound Flight, Survivor's Quest, Allegiance)
- The 9 X-Wing novels (particularly the ones written by Allston)
- The Han Solo trilogy written by Ann Crispin
- The Han Solo trilogy written by Brian Daley
- I, Jedi just about (makes the Jedi Academy trilogy story palatable)
- Most of the Clone Wars literature produced in between the releases of AoTC and RoTS (novels and comics)
- The TOTJ comics sort of, the KOTOR comics definitely
- Anything by Stover
- All of the comics produced by Dark Horse in the last decade - Empire, Rebellion, KOTOR, Republic, Legacy (okay, Legacy is great *and* stupid)
- An then if you enjoy Vector Prime you have a 20-novel-epic to enjoy

There's an awful lot of literature out there to enjoy and the good thing about a lot of the dross - things like Crystal Star, Planet of Twilight, Black Fleet Crisis, Bounty Hunter Wars etc. - is that you can steer clear of them and forget they existed. Planet of Twilight has sat in pristine condition on my bookshelf for the past fifteen years or so (whenever it was released), whilst Heir to the Empire is tattered and torn. The patchwork, jump-around-the-timeline approach of Bantam has an unintentional upside in that the really bad stuff is almost never referenced again, and have no impact on the lives of the characters (most of it is villain-of-the-week, reset button stuff) to make them essential reading.

Basically, there's enough out there for a new person coming to the EU to immerse themselves for years without encountering stupidity. The stupidity just seems to be more fun to talk about, and temporarily more prevalent with these ghastly three-author collaborative series.

And don't forget how awesome lots of the games are - the X-Wing and Dark Forces/Jedi Knight series especially.

TaylorEGibbons
Jan 18, 2010
Did you see the one where the star wars went into space and they met leprechaun in space? If you haven't, you seriously have no idea what you are missing.

Bene Elim
Feb 9, 2010

The beast from Crete that can't be beat!
^^ Was that the CG Clone Wars episode where they crashed on a planet inhabited by Irish midgets? That was terrible.

Der Luftwaffle
Dec 29, 2008
^ pacifist Irish midgets too, which is even more of a mindfuck.

NGL
Jan 15, 2003
AssKing

Bene Elim posted:

^^ Was that the CG Clone Wars episode where they crashed on a planet inhabited by Irish midgets? That was terrible.

More like lemur people. And I dug that episode. :colbert:

RedNeptune
Jun 21, 2006

Throb Robinson posted:

Personally I don't blame SOE for loving up SWG.

I was picked to be in the first beta, which was basically 100 of the most active developer forum posters handpicked by the devs. Out of the 250,000 people that applied for it, that made me feel all kinds of special! Bottom line is they put a lot of stock into the opinions of the first 100 which sometimes paid off (you can thank me for the diversity of wookiee patterns thankyouverymuch) but often just put way too many cooks in the kitchen. The developers picked us as if our personal opinions would represent the larger player base as a whole and put a lot of stock into them. Didn't work out so well.

I digress.

SOE has a lot of blame for how this game ended up. Trust me. :)

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
SWG had a weird bug where sitting down could cause you to slide all over the place. I logged out sitting in a cantina on a couch and logged back in to this:

As a bonus here's my musician/tailor. I played from launch until a while after JTL and I really enjoyed it until the wheels came off. I miss flying around in my Y-wing collecting things for my crafting.

Click here for the full 1024x768 image.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

SWG gave us the gift of Imperial Wookiees and Mon Calamari. I wish to see the alternate universe where they stayed with the CU where they kept making their own faction armour because Stormtrooper style Wookiee armour would have looked race betraying levels of kick rear end.

Aratoeldar
Mar 21, 2005
When Talon Karrde talks about the adventures that Mara and Lando have trying to find Jorj Car'das. This was during the Caamas Document crisis. I assume that these are from a comic.

Dave Syndrome
Jan 11, 2007
Look, Bernard. Bernard, look. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Bernard! Bernard. Bernard. Look, Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard! Look! Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Look, Bernard! Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Bern

Aratoeldar posted:

When Talon Karrde talks about the adventures that Mara and Lando have trying to find Jorj Car'das. This was during the Caamas Document crisis. I assume that these are from a comic.

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Caamas_Document_crisis
Nope, novels.

Throb Robinson
Feb 8, 2010

He would enjoy administering the single antidote to Leia. He would enjoy it very much indeed..

Dave Syndrome posted:

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Caamas_Document_crisis
Nope, novels.

Why does Han look like he is about to cry?

Personal theory is that he realized he was in a boring political story.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

Angry Midwesterner posted:

Lots of Thrawn stuff. And probably more reasonable extrapolations from the OT than what Lucas gave us, like Anakin would be a decorated adult war hero before training under Obi-Wan (not a problem before Lucas decreed that all Jedi needed to start training as babbies), Leia and Luke's mother wouldn't be a lame democratically elected queen and would survive long enough for Leia to credibly remember her, Yoda wouldn't use a lightsaber, Palpatine wouldn't necessarily be called a Sith, Tatooine would be Obi-Wan's home planet instead of Anakin's, and Owen would still be Obi-Wan's brother, no bullshit about Jedi not having families, Victory class Star Destroyers, Bail Organa would be a kick-rear end general before retiring to politics, we'd loving see poo poo go down on Alderaan, the Clone Wars would probably have both sides with Clones and Palpatine would only be pulling all the strings on the Republic end. And if Zahn wrote it we'd probably have some bullshit about Mara Jade's Jedi parents and Talon Karrde starting out as a small-timer.

That would have been SOOOOO loving sweet :smith:

FUUUUCK you Lucas, how come your story sucked so much? How could the loving creation of the Empire and Darth Vader be so boring?

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

Hey, we were talking about Starfighters of Adumar a little earlier. I remember the first time I read it. Even as a high school student it was obvious that the one superpower nation-state on Adumar was basically an allegorical US and Wedge was leading a UN stand-in to put Space Dubya in his place even though it was written pre-Bush.

Throb Robinson posted:

Personal theory is that he realized he was in a boring political story.

Yeah, Zahn has like Reverse Denning Disorder when it comes plotting Han and Leia arcs.

AcridWhistle
Aug 20, 2003

Feasting on the flesh of a recently killed zombie probably wasn't the smartest of moves
So it looks like the new more realistic lightsabering in TFU 2 results in stormtroopers loosing their heads no matter where you hit them but not loosing their other limbs. How much more time until this game goes gold?

http://www.gametrailers.com/video/gc-10-star-wars/703296

Slantedfloors
Apr 29, 2008

Wait, What?

AcridWhistle posted:

So it looks like the new more realistic lightsabering in TFU 2 results in stormtroopers loosing their heads no matter where you hit them but not loosing their other limbs. How much more time until this game goes gold?

http://www.gametrailers.com/video/gc-10-star-wars/703296

It's pretty annoying that Jedi Outcast had the perfect lightsaber dismembering system (had to be enabled, of course) years ago, but every game since they act like the Futurama light-billyclubs.

Throb Robinson
Feb 8, 2010

He would enjoy administering the single antidote to Leia. He would enjoy it very much indeed..
Jesus that opening. I can almost feel the Fan service levels reaching critical with how overpowered the Jedi are getting.

"George we want to have Starkiller fall down a building for like ten minutes"

"I'll allow it, but only if he destroys like fifty Tie fighters on the way down."

Slantedfloors
Apr 29, 2008

Wait, What?

Throb Robinson posted:

Jesus that opening. I can almost feel the Fan service levels reaching critical with how overpowered the Jedi are getting.

"George we want to have Starkiller fall down a building for like ten minutes"

"I'll allow it, but only if he destroys like fifty Tie fighters on the way down."

"George, in your outline, what did you mean by "Starkiller beats a Star Destroyer"? Like the minigame from the first one again?"
"Beat? That's a typo. I meant 'eat'. He eats a Star Destroyer."
"..."
"Like, with his mouth."

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

Pretty sure Denning's Luke already did that. Better make it an Eclipse-class Star Dreadnaught :razz: to show that it's "unleashed."

Tobaccrow
Jan 21, 2008

Don't smoke, kids... Unless you have to.
The stupidest thing about TFU's lightsaber combat: nearly all of the move upgrades went into one combo that was annoying and unnatural to pull off (you had to do something like hammer a button exactly four times, then press other buttons), looked and felt clunky, and only really worked on enemies you could already kill easily anyway.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Yeah I thought the combo system, with the exception of a couple of moves, was annoying and didn't do much other than add some more "wow, acrobatics!" moves to the game. 90% of everything I did involved force pushing some enemy into another enemy or over a rail, usually after I charged them with lightning.

Muppetjedi
Mar 17, 2010

http://www.bigbadtoystore.com/bbts/search.aspx?search=genki+wars

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

so is the guy from The Force Unleashed the strongest Star Wars guy ever or what's going on there

I've seen Jedi do some poo poo, but I don't know about some of the poo poo he's doing

Archr5
Sep 26, 2003

Trying desperately to be popular since 1982.

They released these at Celebration V, I worked the store for a bit over the weekend, the Slave Leia perfume was way more popular than the lando stuff.

that being said there was no shortage of people buying the "welcome to O'Lando" shirts and posters...

On a related note, Being at my first celebration taught me two things. 1) Dudes (and ladies) who dress up as storm troopers are 60% supernerd dicks and 40% actually pretty cool people. 2) I kinda want a storm trooper costume now.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Archr5 posted:

On a related note, Being at my first celebration taught me two things. 1) Dudes (and ladies) who dress up as storm troopers are 60% supernerd dicks and 40% actually pretty cool people. 2) I kinda want a storm trooper costume now.

Do you have the spare time to maintain and capital to spend on Stormtrooper armour? And if you get stuff the social skills to put up with the lamer members of whatever group you join to show it off with? If so go for it.

You got to admire the hardcore nerdyness of the 501st guys as with all levels of detail when it comes to hobby. And they do stuff for charity too.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice
Reminder that despite how badass Lando is in the in Empire Strikes Back (orchestrating an insurrection and evacuation from right under the nose of Darth Vader, the Imperial Fleet, AND his personal Super Star Destroyer) the latter EU basically has him running one implausible scheme after another, incompetently, disastrously, then has him as a golddigging bastard who marries for money and whose legacy will be remembered as creating an army of robots who were designed to fight and win a war against the Yuuzhan Vong but instead got co-opted into weapons to hunt down Jedi with by Unreconstructed Imperial Admiral turned Galactic Chief of State "Natasi" Daala.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

The only way he can redeem himself is to clone himself so we'll always have Lando in the slowly retarded future of the current EU storyline.

But everyone loves Lando, the one thing we can all be sure of in Star Wars.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

arioch posted:

Reminder that despite how badass Lando is in the in Empire Strikes Back (orchestrating an insurrection and evacuation from right under the nose of Darth Vader, the Imperial Fleet, AND his personal Super Star Destroyer) the latter EU basically has him running one implausible scheme after another, incompetently, disastrously, then has him as a golddigging bastard who marries for money and whose legacy will be remembered as creating an army of robots who were designed to fight and win a war against the Yuuzhan Vong but instead got co-opted into weapons to hunt down Jedi with by Unreconstructed Imperial Admiral turned Galactic Chief of State "Natasi" Daala.

Not everything Lando did was terrible, I mean he WAS the head of Hologram Fun World *facepalm*

draize_train
Apr 26, 2006
It's so funny that every EU writer ever took that one trait from Lando's character in Empire (being the administrator of a commercial facility) and just ran with it. Did Zahn start that with Lando's mobile mining operation in Heir to the Empire, or did someone else beat him to it? Not picking on Zahn here, since Lando's operation in that novel at least showed some continuity with the movies, and was being run competently.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

The EU needs more pre A New Hope Smuggler Swindler Conman Lady Killer Pirate Lando dammit.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

arioch posted:

Has Lando had any good stories in the EU? I was always interested in him in the 1980s novels, but I've never actually read anything with him in it.

Throb Robinson
Feb 8, 2010

I can't think of much beside the Thrawn Trilogy. He is really raked over the sucking coals by other authors. Not that Lando can ever suck, Just that the authors write him as his horrid farce of Lando.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
He's a 70+ year old father now. That's either ridiculous or classic Lando, depending on your view of the EU.

Throb Robinson
Feb 8, 2010

I hope the EU gets so out of control we are still debating on SA in like 20 years about the new Star wars books with 140 year old luke having to fight altimers to save the day.

Der Luftwaffle
Dec 29, 2008

feedmyleg posted:

Has Lando had any good stories in the EU? I was always interested in him in the 1980s novels, but I've never actually read anything with him in it.

By 1980s I'm not sure if you're talking about the Lando Calrissian Trilogy, but if not then I'd say check it out. It's pretty good in that it has very little to do with anything in the EU and pretty much consists entirely of Lando being a sarcastic bastard and playing space poker at every opportunity. Literally every opportunity, you'll understand when you read it.

Greedish
Nov 5, 2009

what does this say
i don't even know
help

Throb Robinson posted:

I hope the EU gets so out of control we are still debating on SA in like 20 years about the new Star wars books with 140 year old luke having to fight altimers to save the day.

you mean Alzheimer's?

christ, altimers?

e: At least you didn't say old timers!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Throb Robinson
Feb 8, 2010

Eh I'm tired and forgot to spellcheck. My point still stands. I still want my Skywalker tooling around with a cane and being bitter about the time he had to blow up the death star.