Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

guidoanselmi
Feb 6, 2008

I thought my ideas were so clear. I wanted to make an honest post. No lies whatsoever.

My only comparison has been with ilford 3200 delta and hp5 which haven't ever really faltered from the tables at dil B and E/H (whatever half strength B is).

I'll just probably cut my dev time by a min or so but I hate wasting acros :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McMadCow
Jan 19, 2005

With our rifles and grenades and some help from God.

HPL posted:

Watch your agitation too. Too much or too vigorous agitation will blow out stuff too.

Yeah and always give it the same agitation. Everything you do needs to be exactly the same every time you do it.

Zegnar
Mar 13, 2005
I saw some prints the other day of negatives with the exposure details printed on the gap between frames, I guess with an segment LED screen inside the camera... is this a real thing, and are there any 35mm cameras that do it?

Zegnar fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Aug 21, 2010

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Zegnar posted:

I saw some prints the other day of negatives with the exposure details printed on the gap between frames, I guess with an segment LED screen inside the camera... is this a real thing, and are there any 35mm cameras that do it?

It's real, it's called data imprinting. Looks like the Nikon F6 will do it as well as the EOS 1N, and I know the Pentax 645N, Mamiya 645AF will do it as well. Looks like you can do it on the F5 with a special back.

Mannequin
Mar 8, 2003

Reichstag posted:

Nice picture.

The lab got my roll confused with someone else's :( Hope they can get it back.

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:

Paul MaudDib posted:

It's real, it's called data imprinting. Looks like the Nikon F6 will do it as well as the EOS 1N, and I know the Pentax 645N, Mamiya 645AF will do it as well. Looks like you can do it on the F5 with a special back.
The F4 has a special back too. I've wanted one for a while now.

Mannequin posted:

Christ, that sucks. Who was it?

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

Mannequin posted:

Nice picture.

Try 7 rolls, and never getting them back.

gently caress Thailand.

:smith:

Mannequin
Mar 8, 2003

pwn posted:

The F4 has a special back too. I've wanted one for a while now.
Christ, that sucks. Who was it?

It was a local place, they sent it out to a smaller lab for processing, not really sure where.

Pompous Rhombus posted:

Try 7 rolls, and never getting them back.

gently caress Thailand.

:smith:

drat... :(

Sushi in Yiddish
Feb 2, 2008

Just tried out some M5 flash bulbs and an old flashgun with a folding reflector. Tried taking a TLR self portrait...goddamn those things are bright. The magnesium inside burned a tiny hole through the side of the bulb so I'm kind of glad there wasn't anything too flammable about.

I can see why red eye reduction and electronic flashes got so popular!

pwn
May 27, 2004

This is my first time venturing into using filters in film. How do Nikon's black and white filters rank? I'm seeing this and thinking :10bux: is too good to be true.

Pretty much completely unfamiliar with this world. Enlighten me.

Dr. Cogwerks
Oct 28, 2006

all I need is a grant and Project :roboluv: is go

pwn posted:

This is my first time venturing into using filters in film. How do Nikon's black and white filters rank? I'm seeing this and thinking :10bux: is too good to be true.

Pretty much completely unfamiliar with this world. Enlighten me.

I'm guessing that color filters are fairly simple to make, I've always seen 'em run pretty cheap. $10 for a colored filter in a standard kit-lens ring size doesn't sound unreasonably cheap to me, but it is a third-party seller in that Amazon link. Be a little wary, I guess? Pro shops do often have boxes full of old colored filters laying around though.

I'd personally suggest a yellow or orange filter and a polarizer before anything else. Red's nifty too, it'll make outdoor scenes turn kinda alien and weird - black foliage, high contrast, dark skies with strongly defined cloud structures. Green's good for lightening foliage up if you're shooting lots of leafy stuff. If you want a quick approximation of what each one does, open up a color photo and play with the presets for Photoshop's 'Black and White' image adjustment.

Ephotozine posted:

Changes using the yellow filter are subtle so it's used by many photographers as a lens protector and most benefit is seen in landscape photography where the effect on blue is just enough to make a light sky a shade darker than the print's border.

The orange lightens reds so it's favoured by portrait photographers who use it to reduce freckles and skin blemishes. Architectural photographers also find it's affect on bricks useful. This out of all the filters is arguably the most practical and should be a definite first on your shopping list.
Red is for the creative photographer who likes contrasty results, as tones are dramatically affected. It's also used by infrared photographers as an alternative to the true infrared filter and very popular with landscape shooters.

Green is less popular in the black & white photographer's kit, but would be appreciated by landscape photographers as it affects greens and can help differentiate between foliage making the whole scene come to life. The downside is it lightens the blue in a sky so the overall contrast may suffer.

Blue is little used for black & white work and would mostly be considered as a contrast reducer which you can often do satisfactorily using a different paper grade.

There are tons of gimmick filters out there too.

Dr. Cogwerks fucked around with this message at 12:08 on Aug 22, 2010

pwn
May 27, 2004

That's good info, thank you. My motivation is playing with red/green/blue combinations to produce colour prints. There's so many different numbers of each colour too. Is there a correlation to link the number of a given filter with Photoshop's B&W colour controls?

ZoCrowes
Nov 17, 2005

by Lowtax

Shots four roles of Kodachrome over the past day or so. I'm going to send them in tomorrow here is hoping they turn out.

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads

ZoCrowes posted:

Shots four roles of Kodachrome over the past day or so. I'm going to send them in tomorrow here is hoping they turn out.

You won't be able to stop holding them up to the light and stairing at them, doesn't matter what you've shot.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Spedman posted:

You won't be able to stop holding them up to the light and stairing at them, doesn't matter what you've shot.

It's so depressing Dwayne's stopped processing 120 and larger Kodachrome. 35mm Kodachrome looks so good, but the 4x5s from the Library of Congress are just jaw-dropping. And now it's almost over for good. :(

pwn
May 27, 2004

Spedman posted:

They're like magical windows, almost three dimensional.

I went swimming with friends today and shot a roll of Kodachrome. I took my F4 + 50 out in the water with me, I felt pretty badass. :cool:

Gnomad
Aug 12, 2008
From my ridiculous extravagant mass gear purchase at a yard sale last Sunday-

A brace of Argus rangefinders, a C3 (every film shooter should own at least one brick) and a C44 with 50mm and 100mm lenses. I haven't tried the lens change yet. Both work and are clean enough to eat off of. A flash for the Argi and a lifetime supply of flash bulbs, a working GE light meter, and a nonworking Leica meter, and other treasures to be shown later. You should see the stash of photo paper.

Gnomad fucked around with this message at 04:10 on Aug 26, 2010

Sushi in Yiddish
Feb 2, 2008

Gnomad posted:

From my ridiculous extravagant mass gear purchase at a yard sale last Sunday-

A brace of Argus rangefinders, a C3 (every film shooter should own at least one brick) and a C44 with 50mm and 100mm lenses. I haven't tried the lens change yet. Both work and are clean enough to eat off of. A flash for the Argi and a lifetime supply of flash bulbs, a working GE light meter, and a nonworking Leica meter, and other treasures to be shown later. You should see the stash of photo paper.

Nice finds! The C3 is much tinier than in the pics on the web.

How long does photo paper last, anyhow?

Gnomad
Aug 12, 2008

Sushi in Yiddish posted:

How long does photo paper last, anyhow?

Good question, but the bigger question is "how long does chemistry last?"

The most recent dates on paper or chemistry is 01-01, the oldest I've seen thus far is the Kodak color film development kit from 04-1995. The ektacolor RA chemistry dates from the mid 90's, even sealed it's likely pooched.

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine
I would toss* chemicals that old, unless it was a sealed bottle of a long-shelf life developer like Rodinal.

*Dispose of safely through an authorized party.

VV Yeah, powdered stuff might be fine as long as it wasn't exposed to lots humidity.

365 Nog Hogger fucked around with this message at 06:11 on Aug 26, 2010

krnhotwings
May 7, 2009
Grimey Drawer
The powder stuff should be fine. In my high school photo class, my teacher brought out a can of paper developer from the 70's or so and it was still fine to use.

Mannequin
Mar 8, 2003
Will external light meters tell you how long to meter a scene for in particularly low light, like shots at night that might require a minute or two of exposure?

Alternatively, have any of you used charts like this, and do they work?

http://www.fredparker.com/ultexp1.htm
(Scroll down to Chart B towards the end)

McMadCow
Jan 19, 2005

Mannequin posted:

Will external light meters tell you how long to meter a scene for in particularly low light, like shots at night that might require a minute or two of exposure?

Yeah, I'm pretty sure my Sekonic 758 is good for something like a 30 min exposure, not including reciprocity failure.
Hell, I bet that could be programmed in too. I don't know even half of what this thing can do.

McMadCow fucked around with this message at 06:12 on Aug 26, 2010

Rednik
Apr 10, 2005

Mannequin posted:

Alternatively, have any of you used charts like this, and do they work?

http://www.fredparker.com/ultexp1.htm
(Scroll down to Chart B towards the end)

Consult a reciprocity failure chart once you get a light meter reading: http://home.earthlink.net/~kitathome/LunarLight/moonlight_gallery/technique/reciprocity.htm

Gnomad
Aug 12, 2008
as long as the powdered stuff is still white, I reckon it's OK. The Rapidfix I can always test with film, but the color stuff will have to wait for hazmat day at t he local landfill. I've done color in the darkroom before and while it is enormously satisfying to emerge victorious with a color print, I'll do the color stuff on the Ricoh C720 that recently arrived at the office.

The work I did with color did help me out when I started servicing color copiers. I knew more about the color correction than my classmates and I had the Kodak color correction filter set, you loked at the print and it gave you a rough idea of what needed to be done. Just the same, I'm happy that the newer boxes don't need any intervention. If they do, there's another problem that needs to be fixed.

Anyway, more stuff

The motor base for the drum was the missing link. Given my limited darkroom space, I would rather try the drums than fool around with trays, but wasn't having much luck finding the motor. Well, there we are!

Gnomad
Aug 12, 2008
and flash bulbs!

does even the most dedicated of luddite film nerd use flash bulbs?

Amusing anecdote-as a teenager, my friends and I would spend days at the local landfill shooting at glass with our wrist rockets and looking for useful items. Yes, just like we were living in some 3rd world hellhole but diversion-wise, Eagle River was like that-and one fine day i found a whole bushel of flashbulbs that used a standard bulb base. Upon scuttling home with my prize, I proceeded to change out all of the regular bulbs in the house with flash bulbs. My mom thought the first couple were funny but the humor wore thin not long after and I was persuaded to return the normal bulbs to all the fixtures. Glorious while it lasted though.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Gnomad posted:

does even the most dedicated of luddite film nerd use flash bulbs?

I think there's actually still a tiny niche for them. The smallest flashbulb has a guide number of 150, the largest available had a GN of 550. They don't act like a point light source like an electronic flash - it acts like a diffuse light source the size of the reflector.

But I've never used them and I don't know anyone who does, so it is probably a dedicated luddite thing.

Nice haul by the way. Is that Eurynar a Tessar-formula lens? It looks pretty nice, you might want to see if you can make a rollfilm back fit it.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Aug 26, 2010

fygar
Nov 24, 2004
glorp
I just came across an old Canon Canonet rangefinder (the original with the film advance on the bottom of the camera). The self timer is stuck and the leaf shutter doesn't fire. Aperature blades seem to work in fits and starts. The light meter probably doesn't work, but I can live with that. Viewfinder glass is fogged. Would it be worth having a professional give this camera a CLA? I only ask, because I'm convinced that I'm never going to find another inexpensive rangefinder camera.

killabyte
Feb 11, 2004
Blue Horeshoe Loves Anacot Steel

Paul MaudDib posted:

I think there's actually still a tiny niche for them. The smallest flashbulb has a guide number of 150, the largest available had a GN of 550. They don't act like a point light source like an electronic flash - it acts like a diffuse light source the size of the reflector.

But I've never used them and I don't know anyone who does, so it is probably a dedicated luddite thing.

Nice haul by the way. Is that Eurynar a Tessar-formula lens? It looks pretty nice, you might want to see if you can make a rollfilm back fit it.

I've used flash bulbs on a super speed graphic. They make a really satisfying sound when they go off. Buy yourself a crown or speed graphic with a graflite and put them to use...you will be a hit at parties.

McMadCow
Jan 19, 2005

fygar posted:

I just came across an old Canon Canonet rangefinder (the original with the film advance on the bottom of the camera). The self timer is stuck and the leaf shutter doesn't fire. Aperature blades seem to work in fits and starts. The light meter probably doesn't work, but I can live with that. Viewfinder glass is fogged. Would it be worth having a professional give this camera a CLA? I only ask, because I'm convinced that I'm never going to find another inexpensive rangefinder camera.

Canon Canonet QL17 GIII Rangefinders, which are the top of the Canonet line and feature a 40mm f1.7 lens can be found on Ebay for around $50-100. Unless you can get all those issues corrected for less, put it on the shelf and find another one.

here: http://cgi.ebay.com/Canon-Canonet-QL17-G-III-rangefinder-35mm-camera-/190434487940?pt=Film_Cameras

RustedChrome
Jun 10, 2007

"do not hold the camera obliquely, or the world will seem to be on an inclined plane."
I have one in almost the exact condition. I bought it for $1 and use it as a prop with models sometimes. :D

There are a lot of cheap, fixed lens rangefinders out there. I'm sure it would be cheaper to get a working later model Canonet or something like the awesome Olympus 35RC for less than it would cost to get the big old Canonet put back into working order.

Sushi in Yiddish
Feb 2, 2008

fygar posted:

You can buy a good, working camera online for probably less than it would take to mail it to a CLA shop. I've found some success with former Soviet Union rangefinders like the zorki (if you don't mind bottom loaders), and Yashica also has a line of RFs that can be had for cheap.

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

fygar posted:

You could also try the Minolta Hi-Matic's too, I've got a 7sII, great little camera, plus John Glenn took a version into space with him.

The Affair
Jun 26, 2005

I hate snakes, Jock. I hate 'em!

I'm using those same M3b's for my Crown Graphic, as the above poster suggested, and it does work pretty well.

I had to buy a special adapter to get them working my flashgun, but other than that it's worth using bulbs for the look of absolute shock on a person's face when you fire one off at them.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

yeah I got my Oly 35 RD for less than a hundred eurobucks.

The Gooniest Goon
Jul 10, 2010
I've just come into possession of a Pentax Spotmatic SPII with a 50mm f/1.4 S-M-C Takumar lens. (It's got a black finish as well!) Cost me $100 and the only issue is some mild yellowing of the lens. I've loaded it with Tri-X for a true old-school feel.

That being said, I have a question - the guy who sold me the camera is offering a 135mm f/3.5 lens for $50. Should I take it or leave it?

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Zombotron posted:

I've just come into possession of a Pentax Spotmatic SPII with a 50mm f/1.4 S-M-C Takumar lens. (It's got a black finish as well!) Cost me $100 and the only issue is some mild yellowing of the lens. I've loaded it with Tri-X for a true old-school feel.

That being said, I have a question - the guy who sold me the camera is offering a 135mm f/3.5 lens for $50. Should I take it or leave it?

http://www.keh.com/camera/Pentax-Screwmount-Fixed-Focal-Length-Lenses/1/sku-PS060108005620?r=FE

Looks like a pretty reasonable price if in good condition, Keh have some others selling at around $60 in EX condition.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Keh has an EX for $41 now.

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

Zombotron posted:

Just a heads up, that yellowing is from radioactive isotopes in the lense.

Anyway, enjoy your superfast glass takumar-buddy!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sushi in Yiddish
Feb 2, 2008

Moist von Lipwig posted:

Just a heads up, that yellowing is from radioactive isotopes in the lense.

I think I can top that. A friend of mine gave me a negative anti-dust brush in a very thick box.

Displayed proudly on the label was "contains plutonium", which apparently would push the dust right off the negs or disrupt static cling.