Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Urban Renewal
Sep 23, 2008

by T. Finn

Buffis posted:

Anyone know of any online store located in China that sell go equipment internationally?
Shipping from China to Europe is often rather cheap so I'm trying to find out some nice kits.

Isn't Yellow Mountain Imports in China? I got my set from them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Buffis
Apr 29, 2006

I paid for this
Fallen Rib
Seems like they're based in America.

rearadmiral.rowboat
Apr 11, 2009

And ev'ry last inch of me's covered with HAIR!

Crumpets posted:

Thanks for the game, kayak, you poo poo talking scum bag! (I mean this in the nicest possible way.) We'll have to play again some time :)

haha I don't know who this is but anytime bro!

Under 15
Jan 6, 2005

Mr. Helsbecter will you please stop shooting I am on the phone

Buffis posted:

Seems like they're based in America.

the boards are made in china though I forget what the company name is

just look up whoever makes the yunzi stones

sensual donkey punching
Mar 13, 2004

=)
Nap Ghost
hels did yuo send me a book and a mysterious pin

Under 15
Jan 6, 2005

sensual donkey punching posted:

hels did yuo send me a book and a mysterious pin

thank you for 32 years

Athanos
Sep 19, 2006
Hmmm since I can hardly play with you people online now I will have to play with real people.... Human contact scares me, wish me luck!

Prodigious
May 6, 2007
On an epic quest to find spiky rocks to upgrade my club
i lost against the only french dude i played... how thsi can be happen,,,

o.m. 94
Nov 23, 2009

i played a bro..........

Athanos
Sep 19, 2006

Prodigious posted:

i lost against the only french dude i played... how thsi can be happen,,,

That's prety shameful...

Prathm
Nov 24, 2005

The only SA-room I can find on KGS is "Sugoi Animes". Am I doin it rite?

Hipster Scumbag
Apr 6, 2007

by T. Finn
Any advice for getting stronger at tesuji/tsumego? I seem to have topped out on KGS at 11 or 12 kyu, and I think improving my tactics is the only way to grow stronger. I've been successfully doing tsumego on goproblems.com at the 30 through 12 kyu level, but these 10-kyu puzzles are beastly. Are there things to consider or is it just practice, practice, practice and deep, bulletproof calculation?

You are Jennifer
Dec 25, 2008

Prathm posted:

The only SA-room I can find on KGS is "Sugoi Animes". Am I doin it rite?

SA for pubbies, ITGO for goons.

Hipster Scumbag posted:

Any advice for getting stronger at tesuji/tsumego? I seem to have topped out on KGS at 11 or 12 kyu, and I think improving my tactics is the only way to grow stronger. I've been successfully doing tsumego on goproblems.com at the 30 through 12 kyu level, but these 10-kyu puzzles are beastly. Are there things to consider or is it just practice, practice, practice and deep, bulletproof calculation?

The higher you rise, the more difficult further improvement is. Finding the answer isn't really important so much as improving your ability to think ahead for solutions and improving your intuition to guess which lines you should start reading along first.

ThePineapple
Oct 19, 2009

Hipster Scumbag posted:

I'm increasingly finding that global strategy in general takes precedence over specific tesuji and the like. Most of the games I play nowadays I go through without ever really having to ponder a tough life and death question. I would say that at your level, broader concepts like choosing proper fuseki, how to attack and defend (for instance, the goal of attacking usually isn't to kill, but to make profit while chasing the opponent), etcetera, would be more useful.

Of course, the ability to read accurately is also absolutely necessary, and studying tesuji/tsumego is an important part of go. So yes, keep doing tsumego and you will get better at reading - like you said, practice, practice. But I would also recommend becoming more familiar with broader strategic concepts - if you can pick up a copy of Attack & Defense, I would highly recommend it.

Hipster Scumbag
Apr 6, 2007

by T. Finn
I like the approach in Elementary Go Series: Life and Death where you receive Status problems instead of "White to kill" or "Black to live" problems, since you don't ever have a guy over your shoulder saying "oh! you could kill with the right move here." That said, doing a problem properly takes me like 5 minutes and half the time I still get them wrong. My brain is so full of tsumego I talk to people and friends during the day while wrong answers to life & death problems play out in my head. It's hard to improve from 11k!

Buffis
Apr 29, 2006

I paid for this
Fallen Rib

Hipster Scumbag posted:

It's hard to improve from 11k!

And it just gets harder afterwards :(

Pillow Face
Jun 22, 2004

Spreading the Nite Crew cancer one volunteer shift at a time.

Oh how I missed your gentle caress, ITGO.

Coca Koala
Nov 28, 2005

ongoing nowhere
College Slice
Is it a safe assumption that https://www.kiseido.com is a safe place to order stuff from? I want to get a copy of Attack and Defense without paying 30 bucks on amazon, but the shopping cart interface that Kiseido has looks a bit clunky and outdated; do I have anything to worry about?

WuChou
Aug 28, 2002

Cosmic.

Coca Koala posted:

Is it a safe assumption that https://www.kiseido.com is a safe place to order stuff from? I want to get a copy of Attack and Defense without paying 30 bucks on amazon, but the shopping cart interface that Kiseido has looks a bit clunky and outdated; do I have anything to worry about?

Nah, they're fine. I've gotten a bunch of books from them in the past.

One day I will start playing again. Really.

Urban Renewal
Sep 23, 2008

by T. Finn
Yeah their ordering system predates the internet but I've had no problems with the multiple books I've bought there. If you want to see a REALLY sketchy Go site that still apparently works, check out Yutopian.

Under 15
Jan 6, 2005

one time I hosed up my order on kiseido and a lady with a very difficult accent called me that very evening to sort out my poo poo :angel:

Prodigious
May 6, 2007
On an epic quest to find spiky rocks to upgrade my club

the power of a japanese 3 dan

Hipster Scumbag
Apr 6, 2007

by T. Finn

how does one become a 10k playing moves like this? white lost by a hundred points

Under 15
Jan 6, 2005

cool dude rolls tex

rearadmiral.rowboat
Apr 11, 2009

And ev'ry last inch of me's covered with HAIR!

Buffis posted:

And it just gets harder afterwards :(

nah!

Emo Rodeo
Dec 28, 2006

This is one mystic quest
Just play more games, I didn't read any books until lower single digits. The best way to improve is to play games and then review them in ITGO. Seriously, step one: play more games step two: review your games, its the best way to improve. It's also a lot cheaper than importing go books.

Under 15
Jan 6, 2005

Emo Rodeo posted:

Just play more games, I didn't read any books until lower single digits. The best way to improve is to play games and then review them in ITGO. Seriously, step one: play more games step two: review your games, its the best way to improve. It's also a lot cheaper than importing go books.

you aren't ready for a theory book besides Tesuji until you are 10k

although if you get depressed about go before 10k read chapters of Lessons in the Fundamentals of Go until you feel better, then continue

Hipster Scumbag
Apr 6, 2007

by T. Finn

Under 15 posted:

although if you get depressed about go before 10k read chapters of Lessons in the Fundamentals of Go until you feel better, then continue

I feel like there's rarely a bad time for a book about the opening...

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!
I should really start playing again but I'm too lazy. Also there's not enough girls in the Go club. :smith:

I really like the game, but if I play I want to improve, and I feel that I can't improve unless I either play a huge amount, or if I do problems. But both are just too much :effort:

Buffis
Apr 29, 2006

I paid for this
Fallen Rib

Under 15 posted:

To be honest though, I first read Fundamentals of Go when I was 12k or something, and I didn't understand most of it, since my reading sortof sucked.

Now I'm 6k, and decided to read it again, and it was a much nicer experience. I feel somewhat stuck at 6k though, but I guess I just need to play more games.

Quad
Dec 31, 2007

I've seen pogs you people wouldn't believe
So, no idea when its coming out, but there's a Go game being worked on by Microsoft Research Cambridge for XBLA. The other day, I WAS thinking, "this game is fun, but it would be better if a 12 year old was calling me a fag", so I'm pretty stoked.

Just starting playing and going to club again, maybe this is the year I rise above the worst player there.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
I really wish there was a good multiplayer Go app for android.

Actually, upon researching just now, KGS has an official app, but it's $15, gently caress :cry:

JayMax
Jun 14, 2007

Hard-nosed gentleman

QPZIL posted:

I really wish there was a good multiplayer Go app for android.

Actually, upon researching just now, KGS has an official app, but it's $15, gently caress :cry:

You do get a subscription to KGS+ for a certain time along with it, though. It's not bad value, though I'm not sure I'd like to play go on a tiny screen.

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!
Why isn't this thread in the TG Discussion forum?

Hipster Scumbag
Apr 6, 2007

by T. Finn
Let's rap about the 44 point low approach, high attachment josekis. I was playing a handicap game with a 16-18 kyu friend of mine who kept using it and I couldn't really figure out the right response. I tried the stretch-and-peep non-joseki once, and another time the hane. The 33 invasion seems kind of lukewarm, and suppose black does not play on the bulge shape, but at d instead in this example? It seems as though black could get sealed in. Aside from that, what are popular ways for white to continue after the attach-and-extend joseki? Some of the ones I've looked at on the library seem difficult to interpret.

Under 15
Jan 6, 2005

uXs posted:

Why isn't this thread in the TG Discussion forum?

Because nobody reads that poo poo

Plastic Snake
Mar 2, 2005
For Halloween or scaring people.
It's all neckbeardy tabletop games in TG anyway; nobody in there talks about real games :smug:

o.m. 94
Nov 23, 2009

Under 15 posted:

Because nobody reads that poo poo

Ask / Tell isn't much better

Under 15
Jan 6, 2005

hestler you are going to die I am going to come kill you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Emo Rodeo