Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

UrbanFarmer
Jun 13, 2010

by Ozma
I just moved into a rental house and two potential wiring issues have jumped out at me.

The following is in the computer room. Should I rewire this so there is a ground plug? I haven't taken off the panel to see if there is a ground wire yet. Or can I just put in a 2-3 prong adapter, throw on a good surge protector, and call it a day?

The second SEEMS absolutely insane to me, but wanted to make sure I am right before I demand it be fixed. This is a 60 amp box outside, open to all the elements that is powering an AC. Is that wiring being in the elements like that insanity or is it just me?

Thank you!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW
:circlefap::circlefap::circlefap:

UrbanFarmer posted:

The second SEEMS absolutely insane to me, but wanted to make sure I am right before I demand it be fixed. This is a 60 amp box outside, open to all the elements that is powering an AC. Is that wiring being in the elements like that insanity or is it just me?

Thank you!
Yes, that is insane, illegal and unsafe!

As to the PC plug, 3-prong adapters are unsafe and illegal for this application (or any application, WHY THE gently caress ARE THEY STILL SOLD?? GRRRR), and a surge protector does not protect against electric shock. Appliances with 3-prong plugs require that ground for safety; if you don't have a ground, the first warning from an electrical fault would be a potentially fatal electric shock.

The only way to legally and safely retrofit a 3-prong receptacle to that without adding a ground wire back to the panel is by installing a GFCI receptacle. This won't add a ground, but will protect people against fatal electric shocks, and allows you to legally (and safely) add 3-prong receptacles. However, since it's a rental, you are probably not allowed to DIY it and would have to have your landlord's blessing and hire a professional electrician. It's a trivial job and would be east for a sparky, but would still be rather costly.

grover fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Aug 7, 2010

dwoloz
Oct 20, 2004

Uh uh fool, step back
Aren't the 3 prong adapters legit IF the system is grounded through armored conduit and you attach that little tab on the adapter to the center screw?

That sub panel wiring is scary. I would be on the phone to the property owner.

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW

dwoloz posted:

Aren't the 3 prong adapters legit IF the system is grounded through armored conduit and you attach that little tab on the adapter to the center screw?
That's the sole reason they're still allowed to sell them. But when's the last time you've seen a grounded plate mounting screw?

UrbanFarmer
Jun 13, 2010

by Ozma
Thanks guys, you're lifesavers. Maybe literally :)

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW

UrbanFarmer posted:

Thanks guys, you're lifesavers. Maybe literally :)
Another idea would be to get a GFCI extension cord/power strip and remove the ground prong so it fits in your outlets. Electrically, it would be the same as if you had installed a GFCI receptacle. Would run you about $20-30, and would be way safer than a 2-prong adapter.

Cheapest of the cheap off froogle. Probably a real piece of crap, but you'll ruin it for any other use the moment you remove the ground prong:
http://www.google.com/products/cata...0CAcQ8wIwADgA#p

grover fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Aug 7, 2010

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Speaking of grounds --

I'm putting a wireless weather station on my boy's playset (about 14' high at the peak) situated about 25' from a 2-story house. I'll be using a 1" galvanized pipe to mount the components. I'm thinking I'll do one of these three things (in order of what I see as riskiest to safest):

a) Mount an 8' section of pipe to the side of the playset, rising 3' above the playset so I have room to mount the various components.

b) Mount a 20' section of pipe 3' into the ground, projecting 3' above the playset.

c) Mount an 8' section of pipe to the side of the playset, rising 3' above the playset, but with a large-gauge wire running down the side of the playset to a grounding rod.

Obviously option "a" is the easiest, but what should I do for safety's sake?

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW

meatpimp posted:

Speaking of grounds --

I'm putting a wireless weather station on my boy's playset (about 14' high at the peak) situated about 25' from a 2-story house. I'll be using a 1" galvanized pipe to mount the components. I'm thinking I'll do one of these three things (in order of what I see as riskiest to safest):

a) Mount an 8' section of pipe to the side of the playset, rising 3' above the playset so I have room to mount the various components.

b) Mount a 20' section of pipe 3' into the ground, projecting 3' above the playset.

c) Mount an 8' section of pipe to the side of the playset, rising 3' above the playset, but with a large-gauge wire running down the side of the playset to a grounding rod.

Obviously option "a" is the easiest, but what should I do for safety's sake?
Galvanized pipe counts as a ground rod if driven deep enough, and is pretty cheap. I'd just pound a piece as deep as you can get it (ideally 8') which should suffice.

Will you be running any cables from this to your house, or is it all self-contained? If so, there's some other stuff you're supposed to do with the grounds that I'd have to check up on.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

grover posted:

Galvanized pipe counts as a ground rod if driven deep enough, and is pretty cheap. I'd just pound a piece as deep as you can get it (ideally 8') which should suffice.

Will you be running any cables from this to your house, or is it all self-contained? If so, there's some other stuff you're supposed to do with the grounds that I'd have to check up on.

Good deal, I'll just get some extra pipe and get to hammerin'.

This is a wireless station, so the pipe itself is my only real concern.

Thanks!

Edit: Hit rock at 7' and pounding on a coupling bent the pipe a bit, but it's in and it's solid.

meatpimp fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Aug 8, 2010

para
Nov 30, 2006
I probably shouldn't have tried this, but I did and now there's no undoing it.

We have a pretty new garbage disposal, maybe a few months old. It doesn't work and so we suspected the switch may be bad. So I set off to try to replace it.

The garbage disposal is 120V, 6.9A. I purchased a switch that is speced for 120V, 15A from Lowes. This is a single switch with 3 connections, not a 3 way switch.

The switch is not labeled for what terminal is + or -, so I just wired the new one the same as the old one. That is, whatever wire was on the top terminal I put on the top terminal of the new switch. Below is a picture of the old switch.

Click here for the full 855x639 image.

Now the big difference between this switch and the new one I bought is that the new one is one of those flat rocker switches, and the screws on the old one come out much further than the new ones do. The screws for the terminal connections that is.

The old switch had of course a ground, and on the top terminal of the picture was connected one wire. However, with the picture above, there were two wires connected to the bottom terminal. I thought this was weird but didn't really pay much attention to it.

By this point I had the new switch mostly in but still had to wire that bottom connection. The thing is, the screw doesn't come out enough to fit both wires in there. So I tried just one and taped up the other live wire with electrical tape to insulate it. I gave it a shot and nothing happened, the garbage disposal wouldn't come on. So I'm back to square one where either the switch or the disposal could be broken.

Now my question is, why were there two wires on that bottom connection? And is it safe to put some electrical tape on that live wire and push it back in the box? How do I fix this? Should I have even tried to do this? What have I done..

Here are some pictures of how the new switch is currently wired.

I wasn't sure the gauge of the extra wire is so I took a picture with a penny beside it before I taped it back up.

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW

para posted:

Now my question is, why were there two wires on that bottom connection? And is it safe to put some electrical tape on that live wire and push it back in the box? How do I fix this? Should I have even tried to do this? What have I done.
The one you left disconnected is probably the "live" wire bringing in power from your electrical box, and the other screw to something else that's always on, like your dishwasher or range hood. It should never have been double-lugged under the screw terminal on the switch.

What you need to do is get a 6" or so piece of #12 wire and a wirenut. Use the wirenut to join both wires from the bottom screw, plus this new piece of wire. Then, put this new pigtail under the switch.

para
Nov 30, 2006

grover posted:

The one you left disconnected is probably the "live" wire bringing in power from your electrical box, and the other screw to something else that's always on, like your dishwasher or range hood. It should never have been double-lugged under the screw terminal on the switch.

What you need to do is get a 6" or so piece of #12 wire and a wirenut. Use the wirenut to join both wires from the bottom screw, plus this new piece of wire. Then, put this new pigtail under the switch.

That makes a lot of sense, thanks. Will it be safe to leave it like this for the next 24 hours or so until I can get back to Lowes, or should I disconnect the switch entirely and tape off all the wires?

edit: I just noticed the outlet next to the switch no longer works. The outlet is not controlled by the switch, so that must have been where that wire was going. Seems strange, oh well. Thanks for the help, I really appreciate it.

para fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Aug 10, 2010

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

para posted:

That makes a lot of sense, thanks. Will it be safe to leave it like this for the next 24 hours or so until I can get back to Lowes, or should I disconnect the switch entirely and tape off all the wires?

edit: I just noticed the outlet next to the switch no longer works. The outlet is not controlled by the switch, so that must have been where that wire was going. Seems strange, oh well. Thanks for the help, I really appreciate it.

If it hasn't blown up yet, it won't, probably ever. Electricity isn't some demon beast out for blood. If the breaker is on and you're not getting shocked, then that's probably how things will stay for quite a long time. Like, until the electrical tape melts.

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

grover posted:

The only way to legally and safely retrofit a 3-prong receptacle to that without adding a ground wire back to the panel is by installing a GFCI receptacle. This won't add a ground, but will protect people against fatal electric shocks, and allows you to legally (and safely) add 3-prong receptacles. However, since it's a rental, you are probably not allowed to DIY it and would have to have your landlord's blessing and hire a professional electrician. It's a trivial job and would be east for a sparky, but would still be rather costly.

Just adding that every 3 prong receptacle doesn't need to be GFCI, just the first outlet in the electrical sequence. I purchased a house last year that was all 2 prong and I rewired all the outlets to 3 prong with the 1st receptacle on each chain being GFCI. If you have the blessing to do the whole thing, which really the landlord should be doing anyway, get some GFCI's for the first in sequence then get 3 prong outlet/wall plate contractors packs.

edit: handy dandy 2 to 3 prong conversion chart for older homes using GFCI's in sequence.

Click here for the full 800x600 image.

keykey fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Aug 10, 2010

UrbanFarmer
Jun 13, 2010

by Ozma
I'm back with a new question regarding this 1970's house I'm renting.

An outlet in the kitchen was very sketchy. Sometimes it worked, other times it didn't, so I decided to replace the outlet. We tried plugging stuff into the outlet, but this was one of those times it wouldn't work. My girl had a dehydrator running on the outlet next to it so when I hit the circuit breaker that turned it off (the breakers are of course not labeled) and the dehydrator went off, I called it good.

Off came the outlet and holy poo poo is it ugly. Maybe it's 70's code but there is paper covering inside the box and no dovetails. I wired the new outlet the exact same way as it was as you can see in the two pictures below:

All was well until I was down to reconnecting the last white wire (I was thinking neutral...) -- as soon as I connected it to the screw, sparks flew and the loving dehydrator started back up! Without the circuit breaker being turned back on!

I'm aware that this isn't a safe box by today's code. However, is it safe enough that my house isn't going to catch on fire?

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW

UrbanFarmer posted:

All was well until I was down to reconnecting the last white wire (I was thinking neutral...) -- as soon as I connected it to the screw, sparks flew and the loving dehydrator started back up! Without the circuit breaker being turned back on!

I'm aware that this isn't a safe box by today's code. However, is it safe enough that my house isn't going to catch on fire?
The top and bottom of that outlet are on different circuits; you're supposed to break the tab off between then before hooking it up like that. One of the circuits was opened by the breaker, but the other was apparently live the whole time- you're very lucky you didn't get shocked. Both of these circuits SHOULD have been on the same breaker if they share a neutral.

The outlet that's intermittent is probably a lamp outlet controlled by a switch somewhere, which might explain why it only works sometimes.

UrbanFarmer
Jun 13, 2010

by Ozma
Thanks for the insight. If I leave it as it is now, should it be ok?

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

grover posted:

The top and bottom of that outlet are on different circuits; you're supposed to break the tab off between then before hooking it up like that. One of the circuits was opened by the breaker, but the other was apparently live the whole time- you're very lucky you didn't get shocked. Both of these circuits SHOULD have been on the same breaker if they share a neutral.

The outlet that's intermittent is probably a lamp outlet controlled by a switch somewhere, which might explain why it only works sometimes.

I don't think that's 2 different circuits, the wire counts don't match up considering which hots are bound together, unless someone wired those 2 circuits together in a different box. Actually, I think UrbanFarmer didn't shut off the right circuit at his box and the dehumidifier going off was an unfortunately timed auto-shutoff...

Anyway, look on the outlet you replaced. Look to see if both of its screw terminals are disconnected from each other for both its hot and neutral sides and match those to your new outlet. The tabs just pry off with pliers.

That switched hot goes somewhere else than the switch, probably to a ceiling light. It could go to another "1 always hot, 1 switched hot" duplex receptacle in the room though, you might want to get a lamp or something and check.

Also, you got really ugly wallpaper.

dwoloz
Oct 20, 2004

Uh uh fool, step back
Ive been trying to change out my dangerous Zinsco panel and PGE gave me the runaround for 2 weeks then told me I'd need to fork out $4000 to run new underground service. (!!)
So, trying to get my electrician to just do the panel change hot and not even involve PGE in the whole matter

dyne
May 9, 2003
[blank]
What exactly is a running board? In my unfinished basement, there's a large duct that fills a joist space so I have to run a bunch of wires below the duct. It's my understanding that I can put a running board there to make it code-compliant, I just don't know exactly what that is. Is it just a 1" thick board that I would attach below the vent and staple wires to the underside?

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

dyne posted:

What exactly is a running board? In my unfinished basement, there's a large duct that fills a joist space so I have to run a bunch of wires below the duct. It's my understanding that I can put a running board there to make it code-compliant, I just don't know exactly what that is. Is it just a 1" thick board that I would attach below the vent and staple wires to the underside?

Do you mean there's an actual duct pipe in between the joists, or it's a panned duct? You can run cables straight through across a panned duct for residential, but threading the cables through the holes you drill is tricky. I've done it by drilling holes on either side, then threading the holes with a short length of 6# solid copper wire first. It's rigid enough to stay straight for the length of the gap, but you can still bend around on it as needed. Once you thread the 2 holes, tape your other cable to the copper wire and pull it through the hole.

And the other way to to it on the bottom of the panned duct would be with a metal raceway. Basically, it's a metal enclosure with holes on the ends that you run your cables in and close the cap on it to protect the wires inside.

edit: Define "bunch of wires". If you're running both power and low voltage (phone/data/video/etc) cables, you'll probably want to separate the power from the low voltage into 2 raceways some distance from each other. Power can cause interference with low voltage especially if they're run in parallel right next to each other.

kid sinister fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Aug 21, 2010

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW

dyne posted:

You mean like the yellow cable in this photo? You can't do it like is shown in the photo as it's subject to damage. If you do, you have to nail boards up beside it to protect the cable.

dyne
May 9, 2003
[blank]

grover posted:

You mean like the yellow cable in this photo? You can't do it like is shown in the photo as it's subject to damage. If you do, you have to nail boards up beside it to protect the cable.

Yeah, pretty much. Here's a picture that I should've included in the first place showing the duct (which actually spans 2 joist spaces). They're all power lines, I'm putting the low voltage wires elsewhere.

Click here for the full 800x597 image.

Those are the previous owner's runs. He had no concern about code, earlier today in the attic I found a bunch of splices sitting in the insulation protected only by pairs of foil pie pans

dyne fucked around with this message at 01:37 on Aug 22, 2010

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!
Not a question, just a complaint that could really only be posted here. I had to do demo yesterday in a house where instead of running romex or conduit through the joists, they just ran 14ga wire in the gaps between sheets of drywall, then mudded over it. How in the name of christ can someone who is capable of wiring up a basement be that absolutely retarded?

So, I guess there was a question after all.

motorcycledriveby
Nov 8, 2007
Fitness is everything, but I could never do that
Curious if there's a limit on how many receptacles can be attached to a single breaker? This is in Pennsylvania, and despite my efforts to read the code book, I couldn't follow it.

We're talking 1.5 bedrooms + living room + dining room + fridge outlet + basement ceiling lights all on a single 15A breaker (labeled Living Room), despite there being switches labled for the Bedrooms and Kitchen.

Actually, the breaker labeled Kitchen controls the non-fridge outlets in the Kitchen and the GFCI in the laundry in the basement, and has been tripping when we only have a microwave + toaster oven + basement dehumid running.

This all seems really suspect to me, but I'm not sure if it's lovely and old, or lazy and unsafe.

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW

motorcycledriveby posted:

Curious if there's a limit on how many receptacles can be attached to a single breaker? This is in Pennsylvania, and despite my efforts to read the code book, I couldn't follow it.

We're talking 1.5 bedrooms + living room + dining room + fridge outlet + basement ceiling lights all on a single 15A breaker (labeled Living Room), despite there being switches labled for the Bedrooms and Kitchen.

Actually, the breaker labeled Kitchen controls the non-fridge outlets in the Kitchen and the GFCI in the laundry in the basement, and has been tripping when we only have a microwave + toaster oven + basement dehumid running.

This all seems really suspect to me, but I'm not sure if it's lovely and old, or lazy and unsafe.
There is no limit to the # of receptacles on a circuit in residential construction and none of those rooms are required to have dedicated outlets, so it's legal, but it's very poor design.

Slugworth: I don't know, but the stupidity of people never ceases to amaze me.

tuzalu
Jul 23, 2007
I got a spa over the weekend that will be located in the backyard. I need to run a line to the spa that is 50 amps and 220ish volts. The spa will be right next to the house and I am hoping to be able to run a line attached to the house from the breaker box to the spa. I know I need to have some kind of shut off switch near the spa. I don't know if this matters, but our AC unit has a 220v box near where the spa will be. I went to home depot and saw conduits that kind of looked like pvc pipe. Would this be the best option and what are some things I need to consider with running electrical outdoors? Is there a specific type of wire I need to use for outdoors? I have done some basic wiring inside but have never worked with 220 volts and never added a circuit to the breaker box.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002
That's probably because it was PVC. Electric uses a special type of PVC that's more resistant to sunlight and is colored gray. PVC would probably be the best choice for you since it's the easiest to work with. All you need is a hacksaw, a utility knife for the burrs, corners, fittings and the joining cement. There is a restriction about the number of bends between pull points with conduit; you're only allowed a total of 360 degrees of bends.

There are 2 types of cable used outdoors: UF and THWN. UF is watertight cable approved for direct burial. If your cable run goes below ground, then you need this. THWN isn't a bundled cable, it's individual wires that are rated for use in conduit outdoors above ground. Since it isn't bundled, you'd need to pull 4 different cables: black, red, white and green. You'll most likely find cable marked as THHN at the store, but read marking on the insulation; almost all THHN cable is also rated THWN.

As for adding circuits, first make sure that you have enough free slots in your box. 220 will require a 2 pole breaker, so you need 2 slots right next to each other. You may want to take one of your existing breakers to the store so you can match the type. Look for ones marked "spare" if you have any, you can pull those without affecting anything.

fake edit: one of the most common noob mistakes for running cable is not giving yourself enough slack, especially at your breaker box. Leave yourself plenty at both ends, cable is cheap compared to time.

kid sinister fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Aug 24, 2010

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

I'm reading through my code book here.

You must have GFCI protection.

You must have a disconnect prominently labeled no closer than 5 feet of, readily accessible to, and within sight of the spa.

Your connection must contain a ground, which connects to the grounding of the "packaged spa assembly" which, assumedly, is all bonded together properly.

Looks like the easiest way is to have a 2-pole GFCI breaker running to a 250V receptacle mounted to the side of the house within sight of the spa. There will be a sign saying "spa emergency shutoff - pull plug" next to the receptacle. You can then run a cord no longer than 15' to connect the spa to the house.

babyeatingpsychopath fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Aug 24, 2010

tuzalu
Jul 23, 2007
Thanks for the responses. I have kind of a noob question about the breaker box. It is built into the house on the outside wall connected to the garage. In order to feed a new wire into it, will i need to cut into the drywall behind the breaker?

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

tuzalu posted:

Thanks for the responses. I have kind of a noob question about the breaker box. It is built into the house on the outside wall connected to the garage. In order to feed a new wire into it, will i need to cut into the drywall behind the breaker?

How do the other wires get there? Go the same way.

AbsentMindedWelder
Mar 26, 2003

It must be the fumes.
If any of you looked at the update in my lathe thread you would know I have a rotary phase converter. It's an Arco Roto-Phase, Model A. I have a couple questions on the specifications that I have to call Arco for, but that's not what this post is about.

It requires that a standard 3 phase motor magnetic starter be used to start the converter and provide overload protection. I'm not an expert on such topics. What I'm particular concerned with is the following quote off their FAQ:

Arco FAQ posted:

Where should the motor magnetic starter be located?

Always on the three phase side and it should be a three phase magnetic starter. It should be noted that the manufactured phase (T3) must not go through a heater coil on two-heater coil starters, and T3 should not be connected to the holding coil.
Roto-Phase Wiring Diagram for Installation

My concern is that will any "standard" 3 phase magnetic starter allow me to not connect T3 to the heater coil and holding coil? I see in that wiring diagram that T3 is connected to something in the starter.

I realize I should probably be educating myself more on motor control and 3 phase power... feel free to throw some links at me.

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW

dv6speed posted:

Roto-Phase Wiring Diagram for Installation

My concern is that will any "standard" 3 phase magnetic starter allow me to not connect T3 to the heater coil and holding coil? I see in that wiring diagram that T3 is connected to something in the starter.

I realize I should probably be educating myself more on motor control and 3 phase power... feel free to throw some links at me.
The "Roto-Phase magnetic starter" is not a 3-phase starter, it's a 1-phase starter to start your phase converter. You'd use a standard 3-phase starter for any 3-phase loads on the load side of that.

I really don't like the way it's connected in their drawing. If you do hook it up this way, it's very important you put a properly sized 3-phase breaker between the phase converter and your motor loads.

grover fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Aug 25, 2010

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

dv6speed posted:

Yes, any standard 3-phase magnetic starter can have a jumper instead of a heater. It looks like you're feeding two phases of your 3-phase service from one breaker and just manufacturing a third phase. If your converter overloads, its starter will trip, but it'll continue spinning, possibly giving very bizarre waveforms for that third phase.

So you're going to have
panel->3p disconnect->3p starter -> inverter.

The 3p starter will have heaters on two poles, and a jumper on the third. I'm not sure how this will prevent 2-phasing your 3p motor when the overloads pop, as the diagram suggests feeding the 3p stuff from a different breaker.

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Silly goose, you're here forever.

Posting to make sure it's okay to feed a power tool that expects single phase 240 with both hot legs of a household 120/240 service before I fry myself.

(Already checked to make sure the tool didn't have neutral tied to ground or some other stupid wiring decision.)

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW

thelightguy posted:

Posting to make sure it's okay to feed a power tool that expects single phase 240 with both hot legs of a household 120/240 service before I fry myself.

(Already checked to make sure the tool didn't have neutral tied to ground or some other stupid wiring decision.)
Hot to hot in a residential 120/240 panel is pretty much the definition of 1-phase 240V, so you're safe there. :) You'll need to use a 2-pole yoked breaker to feed it if you don't have an existing tool circuit. Make sure the protection is properly sized, too- you don't want a 60A 240V breaker supplying a tool that's only designed for 15A fault-protection.

Frying yourself should never be a hazard; you should be working with the breakers secured and never supplying power like this to tools that aren't properly insulated or grounded, and thus have nothing to shock yourself on. ...it's burning down your house you have to worry about!

grover fucked around with this message at 10:39 on Aug 26, 2010

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Silly goose, you're here forever.

Cool, just wanted to make sure because the guy I bought it from was hell-bent on telling me that I needed a 3-phase 480v delta supply and a step down transformer, even though it clearly says AC 200-240V 1Φ 21A on the controller. :psyduck:

Secret_Squirrel
Feb 26, 2004

i'm from Maryland, no one can beat me.
Is there a limit to the number of overhead/canister lights that can be on a single circuit? I have seven canister lights running 35 watt CFLs, two overhead pendant style fixtures with normal incandescent bulbs, a front porch light with a large CFL, and a backyard patio with dual flood lamp bulbs all on a 15 amp circuit.

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

Secret_Squirrel posted:

Is there a limit to the number of overhead/canister lights that can be on a single circuit? I have seven canister lights running 35 watt CFLs, two overhead pendant style fixtures with normal incandescent bulbs, a front porch light with a large CFL, and a backyard patio with dual flood lamp bulbs all on a 15 amp circuit.

Check the lamp ballast for VA used. A 15A circuit has
code:
120V * 15A = 1800VA Max
1800VA * 0.8 safety factor = 1440VA Available
Usually, CFLs are lamp wattage x 1.2-1.5. Incandescent bulbs are their wattage. Count everything, add it together, and see how close to 1440 you are. If over 1440 but below 1800, don't put anything else in that circuit, or considering swapping out incandescents for CFLs, but don't worry.
If over 1800, worry, because you may soon have a problem.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW
A 15A circuit is quite large. You could put over 100 15W CFLs on a circuit, and not blow it. This is a loaded question, though. If you're talking "practically", then if you're not nuissance-tripping the breaker, you have no issues. Legally, though, the circuit was supposed to have been designed for the maximum wattage bulbs the fixtures could handle. If those can lights have a sticker that says "120W max" then you have to consider each as having a 120W bulb even if you only have a 35W in there now. Same for the flood lights, etc. Given the #, you're probably safe either way, but it's worth checking.

Also be careful with fluorescents as they approach the circuit ampacity limit. Incandescents have a power factor of 1.0 and A=V*Ω/W=A*V, but CFLs create harmonic current and current can exceed the rule-of-thumb calculation. So 35W/120V= 0.3A, but the harmonic current might push peak current levels to 0.4A.

grover fucked around with this message at 15:13 on Aug 28, 2010