Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

billion dollar bitch
Jul 20, 2005

To drink and fight.
To fuck all night.
You know what? Honestly, I would much rather have an emailed than a mailed rejection letter. It's faster. You don't have that hangtime when you're waiting, thinking, oh, maybe firm X likes me, after all, they haven't rejected me. But then you get the letter in the mail and realize that there was a period of time when you were hoping and they had already said no to you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost
Rural Alaska DA trip report Number 5:

After clerking for a rural Alaskan judge for exactly one week, I am officially an expert on A) the "I did I did I did the Iditarod Trail"* race, including the minutia of when the Iditarod Trail Committee can kick a musher out in the middle of the race because he's a goddamn loving [redacted]. and B) EVERY loving POST CONVICTION loving PETITION ever. Including someone whining about their loving over-the-counter [redacted] being confiscated after they personally rioted and caused serious insurrection.

Let me add, however, that clerking for an appellate judge is far more awesome than writing briefs in law school. A) These are real issues with real people and real money; B) I need to be at my desk for at least 7.5 hours a day, which somehow makes writing appellate memos at least marginally interesting; and C) my fellow clerks are awesome and we all understand the exact predicament (hating law school) we are all currently in.

Separate quote:

SWATJester posted:

And yet, the doctors still bitch about malpractice insurance costs.

Yes it's the doctors driving up insurance costs. It couldn't possibly be the insurance company, they're the epitome of good-hearted egalitarianism. The Doctors are the ones demanding $350k/yr down payments on med-mal insurance. You aniled it right on the head.

Edit: Not only did you nail it on the head, you analed it on the head (both gay). As a gay man, I am allowed to not only keep that typo, I am allowed to emphasize it.

*If you don't know where this quote is from then you are no true Alaskan (I'm looking at you Ainsley)

BigHead fucked around with this message at 09:36 on Aug 21, 2010

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
As a true gay Alaskan,

7StoryFall
Nov 16, 2003

Tetrix posted:

gently caress that HERE I COME

Got get 'em, killer.

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender
Formerly Diplomaticus/SWATJester

BigHead posted:

Rural Alaska DA trip report Number 5:

After clerking for a rural Alaskan judge for exactly one week, I am officially an expert on A) the "I did I did I did the Iditarod Trail"* race, including the minutia of when the Iditarod Trail Committee can kick a musher out in the middle of the race because he's a goddamn loving [redacted]. and B) EVERY loving POST CONVICTION loving PETITION ever. Including someone whining about their loving over-the-counter [redacted] being confiscated after they personally rioted and caused serious insurrection.

Let me add, however, that clerking for an appellate judge is far more awesome than writing briefs in law school. A) These are real issues with real people and real money; B) I need to be at my desk for at least 7.5 hours a day, which somehow makes writing appellate memos at least marginally interesting; and C) my fellow clerks are awesome and we all understand the exact predicament (hating law school) we are all currently in.

Separate quote:

Yes it's the doctors driving up insurance costs. It couldn't possibly be the insurance company, they're the epitome of good-hearted egalitarianism. The Doctors are the ones demanding $350k/yr down payments on med-mal insurance. You aniled it right on the head.

Edit: Not only did you nail it on the head, you analed it on the head (both gay). As a gay man, I am allowed to not only keep that typo, I am allowed to emphasize it.

*If you don't know where this quote is from then you are no true Alaskan (I'm looking at you Ainsley)

Notice how I said "Doctors bitch about" not "Doctors drive up". Insurance companies are scum, but they are scum in collusion with doctors.

Doctors can go ahead and suck a big fat dick any time they complain about insurance rates while they go ahead and bill the insurance company for $2000 for a 5 minute treatment that they can do in their sleep.

entris
Oct 22, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

SWATJester posted:

Doctors can go ahead and suck a big fat dick any time they complain about insurance rates while they go ahead and bill the insurance company for $2000 for a 5 minute treatment that they can do in their sleep.

Hahahaha yes this is a reasonable position to take.

Doctors are not paragons of nobility, but demonizing them is just as silly.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

entris posted:

Stick to demonizing insurance companies because they're loving scum. I really need to start amending bad faith denial of claims against them.

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender

entris posted:

I'm not demonizing them. I'm saying I have no sympathy for them when they boohoo about having to pay ridiculous insurance rates; yet they refuse to self-police their peers to an extent that makes even the legal field (which is pretty bad about self-policing) look awful; AND they can afford the rates multiple times over, AND the insurance is for something like protecting the public from harm from being butchered by lovely doctoring.

entris
Oct 22, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

SWATJester posted:

I'm not demonizing them. I'm saying I have no sympathy for them when they boohoo about having to pay ridiculous insurance rates; yet they refuse to self-police their peers to an extent that makes even the legal field (which is pretty bad about self-policing) look awful; AND they can afford the rates multiple times over, AND the insurance is for something like protecting the public from harm from being butchered by lovely doctoring.

...you definitely present a neutral, and well-balanced perspective on the medical profession. I eagerly await your careful, well-reasoned analysis of health care reform.

NOT.

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender

entris posted:

...you definitely present a neutral, and well-balanced perspective on the medical profession. I eagerly await your careful, well-reasoned analysis of health care reform.

NOT.

Yes because med/mal and health care reform are the same thing.

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost

SWATJester posted:

Notice how I said "Doctors bitch about" not "Doctors drive up". Insurance companies are scum, but they are scum in collusion with doctors.

Yeah I noticed I completely lacked reading comprehension about 5 minutes after I posted.

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009
Hey so for those who missed it I started working at the DC office of an AmLaw 100 law firm in May of this year...

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender

terrorist ambulance posted:

Hey so for those who missed it I started working at the DC office of an AmLaw 100 law firm in May of this year...

I really don't mean to rag on her but...

http://awfulyearbook.com/user/view/48080?pic=12066

Yeah, I wonder if there's more to the story...

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009
Can you draw her in ascii for those of us who never intend to sign up for ayb even to lurk

entris
Oct 22, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

SWATJester posted:

Yes because med/mal and health care reform are the same thing.

You just seem to have a pretty big chip on your shoulder re: doctors.

Biskies
Jan 24, 2004

Instead of wanting to be an astronaut when I grew up, I wanted to play with guns.

terrorist ambulance posted:

Can you draw her in ascii for those of us who never intend to sign up for ayb even to lurk

It was a picture of me when I was 22 sticking my tongue out, pretending I was going to lick butter from a little serving tub at a restaurant I was eating at. It's extraordinarily old and I honestly didn't even realize I still had an AYB.

I didn't realize this was the purpose of the Lawyer & Law School Megathread. However, I'll quietly accept your mocking since I should have known better than to ask advice from goons. My situation just sucked and I really didn't want to shell out money for a legal consultation if I was wasting my time. But again, I should have considered my audience better.

Biskies fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Aug 21, 2010

Lykourgos
Feb 17, 2010

by T. Finn

entris posted:

You just seem to have a pretty big chip on your shoulder re: doctors.

get a bill from them and see if you don't, too.

Biskies posted:

It was a picture of me when I was 22 sticking my tongue out, pretending I was going to lick butter from a little serving tub at a restaurant I was eating at. It's extraordinarily old and I honestly didn't even realize I still had an AYB.

I didn't realize this was the purpose of the Lawyer & Law School Megathread. However, I'll quietly accept your mocking since I should have known better than to ask advice from goons. My situation just sucked and I really didn't want to shell out money for a legal consultation if I was wasting my time. But again, I should have considered my audience better.

after you're done wiping away your tears, please post the picture so we can see it. It will be legally significant if your boss has bad taste, in addition to being ill-raised.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

Lykourgos posted:

get a bill from them and see if you don't, too.

One of the clerks in my office has a job that solely consists of negotiating down medical bills.

His stories have taught me that medical bills are loving almost completely arbitrary. Wooooo.

entris
Oct 22, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Lawyers complaining about doctors is just as ignorant as doctors complaining about lawyers.

Lykourgos
Feb 17, 2010

by T. Finn

CaptainScraps posted:

One of the clerks in my office has a job that solely consists of negotiating down medical bills.

His stories have taught me that medical bills are loving almost completely arbitrary. Wooooo.

I'd say they are sometimes outright malicious. What's that? yes the aspirin costs a hundred dollars because it was touched by my highly trained finger tips ok

JudicialRestraints
Oct 26, 2007

Are you a LAWYER? Because I'll have you know I got GOOD GRADES in LAW SCHOOL last semester. Don't even try to argue THE LAW with me.

entris posted:

Lawyers complaining about doctors is just as ignorant as doctors complaining about lawyers.

Just got a report back from state regulation and licensing. Turns out my cousin's doctor was trying to drug her and rape her. He had done the same thing in three other states only to be shuffled off with a slap on the wrist.

Doctors.

entris
Oct 22, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Lykourgos posted:

What's that? yes the aspirin costs a hundred dollars because it was touched by my highly trained finger tips ok

I'm sure that happens all the time :rolleyes:

JudicialRestraints posted:

Just got a report back from state regulation and licensing. Turns out my cousin's doctor was trying to drug her and rape her. He had done the same thing in three other states only to be shuffled off with a slap on the wrist.

Doctors.

I was going to give you a similar anecdote involving a lawyer but then I realized that everyone in this thread already thinks lawyers are scum. Also, I think you guys are so anti-doctor because you thrive on tearing down professions, and law has already been sufficiently debased so of course medicine is next. Afterwards we will attack the character of architects.

Anyway let's talk about Kagan getting confirmed on the court. Judicially inexperienced liberal with a leftist/gay agenda or a breath of fresh air? Or, just more perpetuation of the HYS dominance on the court?

JudicialRestraints
Oct 26, 2007

Are you a LAWYER? Because I'll have you know I got GOOD GRADES in LAW SCHOOL last semester. Don't even try to argue THE LAW with me.

entris posted:

I was going to give you a similar anecdote involving a lawyer but then I realized that everyone in this thread already thinks lawyers are scum. Also, I think you guys are so anti-doctor because you thrive on tearing down professions, and law has already been sufficiently debased so of course medicine is next. Afterwards we will attack the character of architects.

Anyway let's talk about Kagan getting confirmed on the court. Judicially inexperienced liberal with a leftist/gay agenda or a breath of fresh air? Or, just more perpetuation of the HYS dominance on the court?

195,000 dead a year from medical malpractice. What are the numbers like for lawyers again?

I do all my medicine pro se :smug:

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender

entris posted:

A neurosurgeon I was family friends with raped dozens of patients. It happens more than you think. (edit: Thought your quote was in reply to Judicial's comment about doctor raping, but comparatively, my doctor (a DO, not a chiro) last time I saw him did a quick manipulation on my back and billed $90 for literally 5 seconds work, without even asking. Granted, it all goes to my insurance company so I don't have to pay anything different, but for literally 3 minutes of him coming in, asking if there were any changes in my condition, printing out a prescription refill, and going yoink on my back, he bills the insurance company for the same amount a 1st year associate would bill for an entire hour.

quote:

What the gently caress do architects do anyway?

Leif. fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Aug 22, 2010

Lykourgos
Feb 17, 2010

by T. Finn

entris posted:

No, it literally does. Check the bill next time you get an aspirin. A quick google brings up things like this http://www.time.com/time/magazine/article/0,9171,995200-2,00.html

quote:

You've heard of the $10 aspirin? It's that pricey because hospitals mark up costs an average of 232%--as much as 673% at the 100 priciest institutions, according to a recent study by the Institute for Health and Socio-Economic Policy.

Read more: http://www.time.com/time/magazine/article/0,9171,995200-2,00.html#ixzz0xHxdR6Zt

But there's nothing quite like getting the bill first hand.

Holland Oats
Oct 20, 2003

Only the dead have seen the end of war
So I'm one week into law school and I don't hate my life. Things have exceeded my expectations quite nicely.

Ersatz
Sep 17, 2005

entris posted:

I've been similarly charged.

Lykourgos
Feb 17, 2010

by T. Finn

Holland Oats posted:

So I'm one week into law school and I don't hate my life. Things have exceeded my expectations quite nicely.

If you didn't already hate academia from experience with lib arts undergrad/high school, then going to law school isn't going to do anything. The hatred for a lot of people is only going to start after you work your first summer job, and realise in a very real, face to face manner how worthless law school is.

Roger_Mudd
Jul 18, 2003

Buglord

SWATJester posted:

God drat architects, what don't they do?

I don't like Doctors because they pretend they are doing something other than engaging in an economic transaction. The idea of "the practice of medicine" has morphed into some sort of magical mystical art that only high priests can understand (and how dare us mere mortals judge them).

If they would just acknowledge that they are motivated by the same profit motive as the rest of us I wouldn't have any professional beef with them.

Defenestration
Aug 10, 2006

"It wasn't my fault that my first unconscious thought turned out to be-"
"Jesus, kid, what?"
"That something smelled delicious!"

Grimey Drawer

SWATJester posted:

Design buildings that engineers say won't work

Or that lawyers can sue over

Mattavist
May 24, 2003

Guys stop badmouthing doctors, have you all forgotten that we too are doctors?

MoFauxHawk
Jan 1, 2007

Mickey Mouse copyright
Walt Gisnep
My goal at NULS will be to marry one of the med students at the law/med school campus.

10-8
Oct 2, 2003

Level 14 Bureaucrat

MoFauxHawk posted:

My goal at NULS will be to marry one of the med students at the law/med school campus.
Don't do this. I did it and it's all fun and games while they're in med school but then residency starts and within a month they turn into a hollow shell of a person as the 90-hour weeks wreak havoc on their bodies and souls. Eventually you leave as the job consumes them.

I'm not bitter... not at all.

Omerta
Feb 19, 2007

I thought short arms were good for benching :smith:

Lykourgos posted:

If you didn't already hate academia from experience with lib arts undergrad/high school, then going to law school isn't going to do anything. The hatred for a lot of people is only going to start after you work your first summer job, and realise in a very real, face to face manner how worthless law school is.

Omerta fucked around with this message at 03:19 on Aug 17, 2011

Lykourgos
Feb 17, 2010

by T. Finn

Omerta posted:

I really hated my undergrad studies but so far I'm enjoying everything. As an added bonus, my school has free kegs and food every thursday.

Well, maybe you'll get lucky and only hate it as a 2 or 3L when you realise there's no jobs. I doubt it, though; unless you do a research project or go on vacation for summer, the actual practice of law ought to change things.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

Omerta posted:

I really hated my undergrad studies but so far I'm enjoying everything. As an added bonus, my school has free kegs and food every thursday.

"First week is great, the next 3 years are going to be just awesome and stimulating!"

Yeah I was like that too.

Roger_Mudd
Jul 18, 2003

Buglord
School starts tomorrow. Under 9 months left and one small test and I'm a lawyer!

Night school was cool because I could work but 4 years of law school is hell.

TheBestDeception
Nov 28, 2007

Roger_Mudd posted:

School starts tomorrow. Under 9 months left and one small test and I'm a lawyer!

Look at how wrong you are... the bar is terrible

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost

TheBestDeception posted:

Look at how wrong you are... the bar is terrible

To be fair, the bar itself is fine. It's the three months leading up to the bar that is unbearably soul crushing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

Roger_Mudd posted:

I envy you people starting already so much. Michigan isn't starting until the 8th, and as a result we have exams up until like 2 days before christmas. I hate our administration.