Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Web Jew.0
May 13, 2009

Moose Bigelow posted:

HHH beat Kane at MSG to unmask him during the Katie Vick storyline...okay you know what whenever I say Katie Vick it shuts my brain down from continuing.

HHH beat Kane to unmask him but that was a year after the Katie Vick angle. Katie Vick was in 2002 during the initial months of Triple H's terrible WHC reign of terror, the unmasking was late 2003 when HHH had Evolution and Kane was in a face tag team with RVD, which transitioned into another wonderful Kane storyline where he set JR on fire and electrocuted Shane McMahon's balls.

Also it looks like some young members of the WWE Universe were as curious as you are about this:

Best Answer - Chosen by Voters

you better don't read about this storyline...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hirams Bitch
Oct 24, 2008

LividLiquid posted:

If they're looking to save money, and they should be, taping every-other Raw is an excellent way to do it but Vince got mercilessly mocked by Bischoff forever about not being live every week when Nitro was and that likely got stuck in his craw. Ratings have pretty much never taken a dive on taped weeks.

Eh, WWF turned the ratings war around while taping RAW every other week - remember, the Mick Foley title win was after WCW's last ratings victory. It wasn't until Smackdown started in fall '99 that they went back to live RAW every week, since they wanted to tape SD on Tuesdays instead.

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

LividLiquid posted:

If they're looking to save money, and they should be, taping every-other Raw is an excellent way to do it but Vince got mercilessly mocked by Bischoff forever about not being live every week when Nitro was and that likely got stuck in his craw. Ratings have pretty much never taken a dive on taped weeks.

I'd say the problem here is TNA's Monday night venture this year. Anybody so much as whispers "tape RAW every other week," Vince can point at Monday Impact ratings, which were 1.0 or 0.9 live but went down to 0.6 and 0.5 on those last two taped weeks.

DMPunk
Jan 25, 2010

Not to be a dick, and being a guy I have no idea what she must be going thru, but its been like 6 months since she lost her baby. How much time do you need exactly?
That Katie Vick angle was hilariously awesome.

Rousimar Pauladeen
Feb 27, 2007

I hate the mods I hate the mods I hate the mods! I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS! Hey wait a minute why do the mods hate me I'm contributing to the conversation I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS I HA

DMPunk posted:

That was one of the few times I have ever been so embarrassed about what I was watching that I wished for the return of Nitro.

DMPunk
Jan 25, 2010

Not to be a dick, and being a guy I have no idea what she must be going thru, but its been like 6 months since she lost her baby. How much time do you need exactly?

Moose Bigelow posted:

That was one of the few times I have ever been so embarrassed about what I was watching that I wished for the return of Nitro.

Yeah, I'd imagine thats not the ideal time for your grandpa to walk in on you and go "What are ya watching?". That and the time Trish barked and stripped.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

projecthalaxy posted:

What are some memorable moments made better by signs in the crowd? I remember at the beginning of the JBL/HBK slavery feud, they were giving a promo in the ring and slowly, between the two in the camera, rose 1995 Shawn Michaels as a cardboard cutout, killing the drama. Does anyone have the photo of this?
There was a sign that said "SHITMAN" and they actually drew attention to it in some video promos leading up to Bret vs. Austin at Wrestlemania 13

oldpainless posted:

The footage of Kane hiding his face is probably SummerSlam 2000.

Kane had been face along with UT and pulled a nonsensical heel turn which led to the match.
It was a weird moment that didn't really go anywhere. Taker and Kane had a match, Taker removed the mask and Kane bailed, later on Kane had the mask back like nothing ever happened. They also had an angle at some point where Vince's stooges unmaksed Kane (facing away from the camera at the time) and took pictures. Vnce threatened to blackmail him with the pictures but hurrp derrp the stooges fudged the camera and Vince yelled at them and that was that.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib

Minidust posted:

There was a sign that said "SHITMAN" and they actually drew attention to it in some video promos leading up to Bret vs. Austin at Wrestlemania 13
It was a weird moment that didn't really go anywhere. Taker and Kane had a match, Taker removed the mask and Kane bailed, later on Kane had the mask back like nothing ever happened. They also had an angle at some point where Vince's stooges unmaksed Kane (facing away from the camera at the time) and took pictures. Vnce threatened to blackmail him with the pictures but hurrp derrp the stooges fudged the camera and Vince yelled at them and that was that.

I'm pretty sure that was DX that did that to Kane. They reacted to how disgusting his face was too. Which made his eventual unmasking even funnier.

Perdido
Apr 29, 2009

CORY SCHNEIDER IS FAR MORE MENTALLY STABLE THAN LUONGO AND CAN HANDLE THE PRESSURES OF GOALTENDING IN VANCOUVER
Did Austin ever miss catching when beers were thrown to him?

Sionistic
Apr 22, 2008

We don't need your money!

Perdido posted:

If he did, none of the tossers are alive to attest that he did

Veg
Oct 13, 2008

:smug::smug::xd:

Perdido posted:

All the time actually. He was a loving good catcher though. He'd just pick up any beers on the ground and drink them too. :shobon:

Eugene Jerome
Jun 24, 2005

by angerbeet

Perdido posted:

When he finally came back after he quit WWE in 2002, I think on his first RAW back he missed almost all of them.

It was also really weird because he went back to his WWE The Music: Volume 3 theme that night, and the crowd hadn't heard him use it in so long that they didn't pop.

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

"Winning is great, sure, but if you are really going to do something in life, the secret is learning how to lose. Nobody goes undefeated all the time. If you can pick up after a crushing defeat, and go on to win again, you are going to be a champion someday."
(Wilma Rudolph)

This doesn't exactly fit here, but I have to ask anyway and hope someone here can help me. I looked through the last five pages and didn't see anything.

Does anyone have, or can anyone make, an audio clip of Michael Cole's "I've received an email from the General Manager" line? I want to make that my text message and email sound on my iPhone but I don't have any idea how to get that audio myself.

I'd be happy to PayPal someone a dollar or two to make it if it isn't too much trouble. :)

Wojtek
Oct 17, 2008
When you press the button to read one, it should say "and I quote..."

I might have to do this for my phone now, damnit.

Ice To Meet You
Mar 5, 2007

IllegallySober posted:

Does anyone have, or can anyone make, an audio clip of Michael Cole's "I've received an email from the General Manager" line? I want to make that my text message and email sound on my iPhone but I don't have any idea how to get that audio myself.

Made this up pretty quick:

WeaselWeaz
Apr 11, 2004

Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Biscuits and Gravy.

Minidust posted:

Pretty sure that's wrong. Austin cut a promo with the line "If you put the letter S before the work Hitman you'll know what I think of Bret Hart." I think it was from the buildup to their earlier Survivor Series match, too.

DMPunk posted:

The best part of it was Mick Foley spoke at my college about a week later and went off burying WWE for the angle and no longer being entertaining.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.

Chilly McFreeze posted:

Made this up pretty quick:

I love the booing in this.

Zack_Gochuck
Jan 4, 2007

Stupid Wrestling People
I want that GM to be Hornswoggle so bad so I can watch the internet implode.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

Magic_Ceiling_Fan posted:

He's busy watching the divas.

Rousimar Pauladeen
Feb 27, 2007

I hate the mods I hate the mods I hate the mods! I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS! Hey wait a minute why do the mods hate me I'm contributing to the conversation I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS I HA

I want that GM to be Vince Russo so bad so I can watch the internet implode.

Hinoarashi
Mar 28, 2010
Do established names like Danielson have different rates to come to an indy organization to win a match vs. coming in to lose?

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

WeaselWeaz posted:

Pretty sure that's wrong. Austin cut a promo with the line "If you put the letter S before the work Hitman you'll know what I think of Bret Hart." I think it was from the buildup to their earlier Survivor Series match, too.
We're both right. Turns out that sign was from Bret's Wrestlemania 12 entrance, and I remember that Austin promo from later on that you mentioned.

Sign can be seen here, the "S" is written much much lighter than the rest of the letters: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xglJDLmdPao#t=4m25s

Better quality here, but the sign is censored: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qKUxo-ZLd8g#t=4m37s

Can't remember the exact video package that used this later on but I definitely recall seeing it... it might have been building up to Bret vs. Austin at Wrestlemania 13 or it could have been something shortly after Bret's heel turn.

El Axo Grande
Apr 2, 2005

by T. Finn

this

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Hinoarashi posted:

Do established names like Danielson have different rates to come to an indy organization to win a match vs. coming in to lose?

Personally, I've never heard of a guy doing that in the Indies. The truth is, when you bring in a big name draw, they tend to always win their matches. The homegrown talent is fine with it because when a local guy goes "the limit" with a top name, it gives them better credibility and looks good on their wrestling resume. I've seen the "Draw" come in and lose their matches but it was never because they were paid more to do it.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Hinoarashi posted:

For the most part no. Wrestlers usually only change their rate match to match if they are being asked to work twice in a night or if they are doing an especially dangerous match, or are losing their hair/mask.

Now, some name independent wrestlers know that a promoter tends to just bring in big indie names to lose to his local guys (this is less the case now than say 5+ years ago) and they might ask for more since they know it is going to be a one off thing and the guy will never use them again.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

El Axo Grande posted:

this

I think that's the best possible outcome and most likely one as well.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
I'd hope that most indie wrestlers would care more about actually getting paid, rather than if they win or lose.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

MrBling posted:

I'd hope that most indie wrestlers would care more about actually getting paid, rather than if they win or lose.

For all of the horror stories, most indie wrestlers get paid. Not well, but they do get paid. The only ones who get away with stiffing are the ones who are working in generally lovely conditions already. Not paying the wrong guy can kill your entire promotion because it could be a guy with time on his hands and he knows a lot of the talent, and can decide to go ahead and start a promotion of his own just to run you out of town. Not too many promotions have "name power" anymore in the indies. Meaning whoever provides the best show provides the best show.

DMPunk
Jan 25, 2010

Gatts posted:

I think that's the best possible outcome and most likely one as well.

The GM will be a tank full of manatees like in South Park.

Bikeage
Nov 10, 2009
With the recent talk/"leak" of a new WWE logo, I found it odd that this was on the cover of the Kmart circular this week:

Are they allowed to use the old WWF logo on new products? I thought they just didn't have to blur it on the old footage.
Why wouldn't they use the new Legends logo?

:psyduck:

The Croc
Dec 19, 2004

A-well-a everybody's heard about the bird!

OH YEAH!

Its only the scratch logo they cannot use the 80's/early to mid 90's logo is fine.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

The Croc posted:

Its only the scratch logo they cannot use the 80's/early to mid 90's logo is fine.
Which is incredibly strange. Both say WWF. So they can say World Wrestling Federation and they can show one logo that says WWF. But they can't SAY WWF or show the OTHER logo that says WWF.

Bikeage
Nov 10, 2009

LividLiquid posted:

Which is incredibly strange. Both say WWF. So they can say World Wrestling Federation and they can show one logo that says WWF. But they can't SAY WWF or show the OTHER logo that says WWF.

That's why I question it-- sure they're allowed to use the old logo and un-abbreviated name on video-on-demand reruns of shows from the '80s and '90s, but I can't figure out why, in 2010, WWE would market a shirt that clearly says WWF.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW
If the WWE got rights to the WWF name again, do you think they should change back?

DMPunk
Jan 25, 2010

Lone Rogue posted:

If the WWE got rights to the WWF name again, do you think they should change back?

At this point, I'd say no. Only older people who dont keep up with wrestling say WWF anymore. Well, except for Bret. He would like to go back to WWF I bet.

El Axo Grande
Apr 2, 2005

by T. Finn

Lone Rogue posted:

Honestly no, I think the whole idea of the 2002 campaign, beyond the legal requirements, that this was "Beyond" the WWF. This is WWF, ECW and WCW fused.

Karmine
Oct 23, 2003

If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine.

Lone Rogue posted:

Absolutely yes.

Honestly if we are ever able to look back at the past seven years or so and just remember it as "the WWE era" I would be OK with that.

DMPunk
Jan 25, 2010

I just wish they could not have their old footage blurred. That is way worse than having WWE instead of WWF.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

DMPunk posted:

I just wish they could not have their old footage blurred. That is way worse than having WWE instead of WWF.

It makes the Attitude Era even more difficult to watch, as if Beaver Cleavage vs. Droz was easy on the eyes to begin with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Bikeage posted:

That's why I question it-- sure they're allowed to use the old logo and un-abbreviated name on video-on-demand reruns of shows from the '80s and '90s, but I can't figure out why, in 2010, WWE would market a shirt that clearly says WWF.
No. They've spent so much time marketing their new name that it would be counter-productive. But they'd stop having to blur old logos, commentary and promos.