Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Roxy Rouge
Oct 27, 2009
Crossing my fingers for you, Longpig!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Space Cadet
Jun 1, 2000

Destruction, hence, like creation, is one of Nature's mandates.
About a year ago my wife and I lost our first pregnancy to being ectopic, the whole ordeal was over in 30 hours or so as we weren't trying and it wasn't viable it didn't hit us too terribly hard. Some tears, some feelings of letdown, some wondering of what could have been. What the experience showed us was that we both wanted kids instead of furthering our careers and being professional DINKS (which is also nice). Last year she got pregnant while on birth control and using condoms, so we don't anticipate much difficulty but we have officially entered the "trying" phase. I forgot how great sex without condoms is.

Our beagle is grown up, we have a 1.5 year old nephew that I love and I am hoping to add a daughter to my family, but a son will likely be just as awesome. I am giddy with anticipation, but also terrified of what kind of a father I am going to be. Wish me luck goons, I will probably be hanging around this thread a lot more these days.

dishonesty
Sep 11, 2001

There's no place like home.

Space Cadet posted:

Wish me luck goons, I will probably be hanging around this thread a lot more these days.

Awwww I wish you guys the best of luck. I hope you're not here long and are off to the pregnancy thread asap <3

As for me... I'm in the "2 week wait" period. Woe.

It's REALLY hard to not test already, or in a couple of days, but I really want to wait til I've missed a period (assuming I conceived!).

Part of what pissed me off the most about losing pregnancies.. (apart from losing baby of course) was that I'd have to start allll over again. The weeks dragging by, waiting for scans, waiting til 12 weeks... all that.

Starting all over again from 4 weeks.. killer.

Come onnnnnnn baby juice. Work your magic!

Ma_NiC
Mar 6, 2004
Good luck! I hope it works out for you this time. I'd love to see a mini-dishonesty :)

Pata Pata Pata Pon
Jun 20, 2007

So next month it'll have been a year since we started trying for a baby, and I'm torn. Since reading "Taking Charge of Your Fertility," I've had fun charting my cycle and learning all the fertility signs of my body. Part of me wants to hold out for a couple of more cycles (which could be several months) and continue to try to conceive without any other intervention (certainly, it's the cheapest route).

On the other hand, in May I went to the doctor with abdominal pain and a complaint of lack of periods, and she said I had cysts (now gone), and figured I've been mostly anovulatory in the last year. An ultrasound last month came back totally normal so she told me that if August came around and it still looked like I wasn't ovulating, we could try to treat that (and get my husband tested too, just in case).

So I'm torn. I'd love to just keep trying naturally for a few more cycles, but if I'm going to continue not ovulating I also want to sort of start getting that taken care of sooner rather than later. I'm also overweight and trying to lose a few pounds before baby, so waiting to lose another 5-10lbs could also maybe kick me back into ovulating if that's what's holding me back. I'm only in my mid-twenties so I'm not really pressed for time, but my husband and I wanted to start a family a little sooner rather than later. Waiting is so difficult :(.

dishonesty
Sep 11, 2001

There's no place like home.

Ma_NiC posted:

Good luck! I hope it works out for you this time. I'd love to see a mini-dishonesty :)

dishonesty already IS mini. So that means my baby will be mini-mini!

Although hubby is huge, so we may have giant baby.

Oh god. I don't mind if my kids grow up to be tall like their Dad as long as they're little when I have to push them through my vagina :aaa:

fishandcandy
Jul 10, 2006

dishonesty posted:

Part of what pissed me off the most about losing pregnancies.. (apart from losing baby of course) was that I'd have to start allll over again. The weeks dragging by, waiting for scans, waiting til 12 weeks... all that.

This is the only part of losing my baby that really made me angry. 21 weeks of pregnancy and all I got was this dead baby... It sucks that it happened to my baby and my heart is broken, but sometimes terrible things happen. But now I have to start all over just when I was getting to the part of pregnancy I really like. That is just hosed up.

So, I read TCOYF and decided to start charting my temps this week to practice. Postpartum bleeding stopped last week and I think I'll get my period back pretty quickly. I have a dr's appt next week and hopefully he'll give me the okay to start trying.

I've been taking my handfuls of vitamins everyday. Prenatal + DHA + 4 mg of folic acid, since I have an increased risk of another baby having a neural tube defect.

I wish there was more I could be doing to get ready. I feel like I'm in limbo. I really hate waiting.

Ma_NiC
Mar 6, 2004
Aw, my heart breaks for you, fishandcandy :( That is truly terrible. Good luck on getting pregnant again.

Banjos4Hobos
Jun 22, 2006
I thought that some of you may find this new study interesting:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-10880232

BBC News posted:

Women who have had a miscarriage do not need to wait before trying to get pregnant again, say doctors.

A study by the University of Aberdeen of 30,000 women found that conceiving within six months offered the best chance for a healthy pregnancy.

The findings, published in the British Medical Journal, counter international guidelines that women should wait at least six months before trying again.

Doctors said the study would help them reassure and advise patients.

The researchers looked at data between 1981 and 2000 relating to women who had a miscarriage in their first pregnancy before going on to becoming pregnant again.

Women who conceived within six months were less likely to have another miscarriage, termination or ectopic pregnancy, the figures showed.

Also, among those who went on to give birth, conceiving within six months was associated with reduced risk of Caesarean birth, a premature delivery or a low birthweight baby compared with those women who had conceived between six months and a year.

Around one in five pregnancies ends in miscarriage before 24 weeks, a risk that increases with age.

Study leader Dr Sohinee Bhattacharya, a lecturer in obstetric epidemiology, said current World Health Organization guidelines recommend that women delay by at least six months.

The NHS Choices website advises waiting three months to give women time to come to terms with the loss and for their menstrual cycle to re-establish itself.

But Dr Bhattacharya said that for older women, who are more at risk of miscarriage, a delay may actually hamper their chances of a successful pregnancy.

"Women wanting to become pregnant soon after a miscarriage should not be discouraged.

"If you're already over 35, I would definitely advise to try again within six months as age is more of a risk than the interval between pregnancies."

The only reason women may need to delay is if they have had a complication such as infection, she advised.

It is not clear why waiting longer than six months may be associated with more risk.

One theory is that underlying fertility problems may get worse with time.

Another possibility is that women trying for another baby shortly after a miscarriage may be highly motivated to stick to a healthy lifestyle.

Dr Tony Falconer, president-elect of the Royal College of Obstetricians and Gynaecologists, said the study showed women did not have to worry about trying again once they are physically and emotionally ready.

"It may be worth taking this opportunity to talk to your GP about anything you can do to prepare for a pregnancy," he said.

Professor Steve Field, chairman of the Royal College of GPs, said: "Miscarriages are a very traumatic event for prospective mums-to-be, and this new evidence will help health professionals reassure patients and enable them to give some good news and hope to patients at a time when they are often very anxious and under great stress."

Mary Newburn, head of research and information at parenting charity NCT, said: "It will be very reassuring to many women planning a pregnancy in their 30s or 40s to know that if they miscarry they do not need to wait before conceiving again."

So basically, unless you have complications you can start trying again immediately after a miscarriage rather than holding off, which goes against most of the advice that's given at the moment (although I thought it was just a couple of months, I didn't realise the guidelines were to wait for 6!). It'll be interesting to see if this changes what the doctors think, and if anything else comes out of it. I know some have already been advising that there's no need to wait but now it seems there's the hard evidence to back it up.

Good_Vs_Evil
Sep 12, 2006

My wife and I were in the fertility clinic Friday and, I kid you not, they were playing the Phil Collins song "Against All Odds" over the muzak system. :( I really hope this isn't a sign.

Grayscale Rainbow
Oct 17, 2009

I haven't posted anything in here in a very long time. This is because life got hectic for a while plus I had nothing to report. My husband and I finally got an appointment to a fertility clinic. My obgyn had told us to get a semen analysis done, which we were going to do but in looking into places to get it done we found this fertility clinic. Since I wasn't happy with my doctor anyway we decided to just do the fertility stuff without him.

The fertility clinic appointment was on Friday and I am so freaking happy we made the switch. The atmosphere was relaxed, the doctor was wonderful and explained all of our options and the whys of everything. I realize now that I had felt like I was never going to actually get pregnant and resigned myself to that fact. We've only been trying for about 10 months, but I'm on my 13th cycle. Maybe it was easier to assume it would never happen than get my hopes up every month. Anyway, that's all changed (yay!)

We're going to try Clomid first and then go from there in terms of treatment. I had an internal ultrasound (which I geeked out about: I love seeing my innards, even if it is a black and white mish-mash). I have a cyst on one ovary, though it's nothing to worry about, and the other ovary had a big follicle (which was awesome since I know I'm close to ovulating so getting the visual confirmation was really nifty).

I just feel so hopeful and excited, which I haven't felt for several months. I love this clinic. All the nurses were very nice and everything about the process was explained. This may seem silly to say, but it felt like everyone really knew what they were doing (and wanted to be doing it). I don't think I realized how frustrated I was with my obgyn until I had a different experience to compare it to. I’m just so thrilled.

I Wish I Was
Dec 11, 2006

I saw this at the bookshop and thought of you.
My husband and I have seriously started discussing gettin' knocked up. We need to decide on go/no go soon, because the semester starts Monday and I've signed up for a weight lifting class that I'd certainly have to drop if I got pregnant before the semester ends.

So this weekend I'm researching if it's better to wait a year and be 39 (which would put kid #2 at 40 or 41), or do it now and be overweight.

With my daughter (who will be eleven on Monday), I literally got pregnant the first time we "tried" so I've been going into this assuming that it will be the case again. I know that's not true, but I can't seem to wrap my head around the idea that it might actually be difficult for me to conceive - my ex joked that all he had to do was yell "gently caress you" from across the room and I was pregnant.

Fire In The Disco
Oct 4, 2007
I cannot change the gender of my unborn child and shouldn't waste my time or energy pretending he won't exist
How overweight are we talking about? I was about 25-30 lbs overweight when I carried Cecilia, and my OB cautioned me against gaining too much while pregnant but didn't really go more in depth than that. As it turns out it didn't matter, as I apparently inherited my mom's pregnancy genes and only gained 16 lbs total, 6 of which were my girlie.

I Wish I Was
Dec 11, 2006

Fire In The Disco posted:

How overweight are we talking about? I was about 25-30 lbs overweight when I carried Cecilia, and my OB cautioned me against gaining too much while pregnant but didn't really go more in depth than that. As it turns out it didn't matter, as I apparently inherited my mom's pregnancy genes and only gained 16 lbs total, 6 of which were my girlie.

I'm about 70-80 pounds over my ideal weight. The research I've done in the last few hours indicates that maternal age is a much bigger deal for the baby than being overweight - overweight tends to cause problems for the mom, like gestational diabetes and hypertension, but older moms run much greater risk of genetic abnormalities and miscarriage and that risk increases every year.

I'll take ME feeling like crap for a while to have a healthy baby.

Fire In The Disco
Oct 4, 2007
I cannot change the gender of my unborn child and shouldn't waste my time or energy pretending he won't exist
I agree. And if you do end up with GD, I am a full time diabetic, and I was able to carry Cecilia to term without any worries of overly-large newborns by being very strict with my control over my blood sugar. It's totally possible if you're really on top of it. They'll make you get more tests than you would have otherwise, like an echocardiogram and brain ultrasounds, but they may make you do that anyway since you're over 35.

Therapee
Jan 20, 2008
My husband and I sat down today and he told me that he had been working on budgeting for about a month, but didn't want to tell me in case it got my hopes up and it wouldn't work.

It will work, and we've decided to stop taking birth control- starting tomorrow. I'm so incredibly excited. We're not going to start tracking ovulation yet.

What did you ladies do to prepare yourselves to become pregnant? I'm already in good shape and I work out, and I'm going to pick up some folic acid tomorrow. I already take a daily multivitamin. Is there anything else the thread would suggest?

bamzilla
Jan 13, 2005

All butt since 2012.

Therapee posted:

What did you ladies do to prepare yourselves to become pregnant? I'm already in good shape and I work out, and I'm going to pick up some folic acid tomorrow. I already take a daily multivitamin. Is there anything else the thread would suggest?

The vitamins are the main thing. You might want to talk to your OBGYN (when you get one) in regards to the proper vitamin combination to take if you're not taking prenatals. Get some good recommendations on an OB or a midwife. I got a great recommendation from my family practitioner.

I Wish I Was
Dec 11, 2006

Therapee posted:

My husband and I sat down today and he told me that he had been working on budgeting for about a month, but didn't want to tell me in case it got my hopes up and it wouldn't work.

It will work, and we've decided to stop taking birth control- starting tomorrow. I'm so incredibly excited. We're not going to start tracking ovulation yet.

Woot! My husband and I decided that since I took out my NuvaRing yesterday I'm not putting another one in. We're also not going to track ovulation or anything just yet, but just see how things go for a few months.

Therapee
Jan 20, 2008

bamzilla posted:

The vitamins are the main thing. You might want to talk to your OBGYN (when you get one) in regards to the proper vitamin combination to take if you're not taking prenatals. Get some good recommendations on an OB or a midwife. I got a great recommendation from my family practitioner.

I will totally ask about the vitamin combination.

I've worked with pregnant teens for years and I already know the hospital I will deliver at and the OB I want. I've worked with them for years and they are awesome people.

Chickalicious
Apr 13, 2005

We are the ones we've been waiting for.

I Wish I Was posted:

I'm about 70-80 pounds over my ideal weight. The research I've done in the last few hours indicates that maternal age is a much bigger deal for the baby than being overweight - overweight tends to cause problems for the mom, like gestational diabetes and hypertension, but older moms run much greater risk of genetic abnormalities and miscarriage and that risk increases every year.

I'll take ME feeling like crap for a while to have a healthy baby.

Just wanted to pop in here and let you know that gestational diabetes isn't just a problem for mom, in case you didn't know. It can cause problems for the baby too, including:

quote:

* Excess growth.
* Low blood sugar (hypoglycemia)
* Respiratory distress syndrome
* Jaundice
* Type 2 diabetes later in life
* Developmental problems

Rarely, untreated gestational diabetes results in a baby's death either before or shortly after birth.

More details at the link.
http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/gestational-diabetes/DS00316/DSECTION=complications

Eia
Nov 5, 2003
Therapee, now is a great time to have a preconception appt with your OB to review any/all health details prior to conception - get the plumbing looked at, check any medications you already take, see what your pre-pregnancy blood pressure is, update any vaccinations that are relevant. That last bit can be important - if your rubella titer doesn't show immunity you should get an MMR booster, and if you haven't had a pertussis vax in the last 10 years you should get that too. If you do this before conception you don't have to worry about potential effects on the fetus, you just update your immunities ahead of time! That's not as critical as the folic acid, which you should start ASAP, but since you know you're going to start trying, might as well do all the housekeeping!

Revenant77
Aug 28, 2004

Not so sweet

Eia posted:

Therapee, now is a great time to have a preconception appt with your OB to review any/all health details prior to conception - get the plumbing looked at, check any medications you already take, see what your pre-pregnancy blood pressure is, update any vaccinations that are relevant. That last bit can be important - if your rubella titer doesn't show immunity you should get an MMR booster, and if you haven't had a pertussis vax in the last 10 years you should get that too. If you do this before conception you don't have to worry about potential effects on the fetus, you just update your immunities ahead of time! That's not as critical as the folic acid, which you should start ASAP, but since you know you're going to start trying, might as well do all the housekeeping!

Wow, I have to say I wish I knew about the vaccine portion a while ago. I had a preconception appointment with my doctor and they didn't check my titers. I didn't think anything of this because I was up to date on all of my immunizations. After I finally got pregnant they did run my MMR titer and turns out I'm not immune to Rubella after all! And you can't get the vaccine while pregnant. Luckily there has only been 6 reported cases in my state in the past 10 years so I don't have too much to be concerned about but it is something additional to worry about.

fishandcandy
Jul 10, 2006
If you do get the rubella vax, your doc might want you to wait some amount of time before you get pregnant. CDC says 4 weeks.
http://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/vpd-vac/combo-vaccines/mmr/faqs-mmr-hcp.htm#pregnancy

Therapee
Jan 20, 2008
If anyone is interested, the gummy prenatals at Target (vitafusion brand) are delicious and do not upset my stomach. I went for gummies since every multi I have ever had made me puke unless is was a gummy due to powders upsetting my stomach. They're also really affordable- 90 gummies for 13 bucks.

Randomity
Feb 25, 2007

Careful what you wish,
You may regret it!

Therapee posted:

If anyone is interested, the gummy prenatals at Target (vitafusion brand) are delicious and do not upset my stomach. I went for gummies since every multi I have ever had made me puke unless is was a gummy due to powders upsetting my stomach. They're also really affordable- 90 gummies for 13 bucks.

I think they taste disgusting (I am not a fan of any gummy candy really), however they are still way better than choking down a huge pill and definitely easy on the stomach. I highly recommend them too.

fishandcandy
Jul 10, 2006
I might have to try those gummies once I get pregnant. I went and bought Naturemade prenatals with DHA and they are huge. Like giant kidney beans. I can't imagine swallowing a huge pill like that when I'm puking all the time.

I'm casually charting this cycle. It's frustrating.

Therapee
Jan 20, 2008
These have DHA and Omega 3 already in them, along with all of the B's and folic acid. No iron though. They leave kind of a funky taste in the back of my throat, but other than that they go down easy and cause no issues. I have a really sensitive stomach and everything gives me heartburn. I was afraid the fruit flavors would give me heartburn but so far they haven't, even on an empty stomach.

Randomity
Feb 25, 2007

Careful what you wish,
You may regret it!

fishandcandy posted:

I might have to try those gummies once I get pregnant. I went and bought Naturemade prenatals with DHA and they are huge. Like giant kidney beans. I can't imagine swallowing a huge pill like that when I'm puking all the time.

I'm casually charting this cycle. It's frustrating.

Yeah I never had problems with taking pills until I got pregnant, since then I just can't get them down and these vitamins have been a lifesaver for me.

fishandcandy
Jul 10, 2006

Therapee posted:

These have DHA and Omega 3 already in them, along with all of the B's and folic acid. No iron though. They leave kind of a funky taste in the back of my throat, but other than that they go down easy and cause no issues. I have a really sensitive stomach and everything gives me heartburn. I was afraid the fruit flavors would give me heartburn but so far they haven't, even on an empty stomach.

They only have 50mg DHA. :( So I'd still have to take a pill for that, I want closer to 200mg. Plus I'm taking extra B12, B6 and folic acid, so I'd still have to take those, too.

Actually I'm hoping all the extra B vitamins will prevent at least some of my puking.

hookerbot 5000
Dec 21, 2009
This is going to sound silly and is slightly embarassing, but when we were trying to conceive I pretty much decided that either me or my boyfriend were infertile and that was why I couldn't. It's much easier for men to test their fertility levels, Amazon sells semen testing kits, and I had a left over gift voucher and nothing else I wanted....

Anyway, we found out I was pregnant before we used it, so does any UK goon want an unused sperm detecting kit? I am pretty sure it's a massive con, etc but you never know. I hate throwing stuff away and can't return it because I opened the box to read the instructions.

Therapee
Jan 20, 2008

fishandcandy posted:

They only have 50mg DHA. :( So I'd still have to take a pill for that, I want closer to 200mg. Plus I'm taking extra B12, B6 and folic acid, so I'd still have to take those, too.

Actually I'm hoping all the extra B vitamins will prevent at least some of my puking.

They make plain DHA gummies too, but you would probably have to order them online. I looked for them in the stores and couldn't find any. They do make some branded for kids that I have seen in Wal-Mart and Target, but I don't know the specifics or how much is in them.

Like these for adults:
http://naturesorganicmarket.com/omega3-adult-gummy-vitamins-nutrition-now-dha-fish-oils-60-ct-p-597.html?zenid=aturbc3gj91st3s0kl3iagats0

Lannie
Nov 21, 2005

snookie snookeie snnnokeid

fishandcandy posted:

I had been taking a B complex vitamin before I got pregnant. I had to stop taking it when I was about 6 weeks along because it was making me puke more than anything else. Supposedly a lot of women have issues with B during pregnancy.

As for prenatals, I found the Naturemade gels that you mentioned above to be the only prenatals I could take. They never made me throw up like the other ones did.

I ended up taking the Naturemade prenatal, extra folic acid, fish oil, flaxseed oil, evening primrose oil, red raspberry leaf, extra iron, and cranberry pills by the end of my pregnancy. Oy vey! I take so many pills!

Fire In The Disco
Oct 4, 2007
I still do take so many pills. :( I literally take 30 pills 3 times a day to boost my milk supply...

fishandcandy
Jul 10, 2006
High doses of B6 can prevent morning sickness. It helped me before but I was never super consistent about taking it. I take 100mg a day - way more than in a B-complex vitamin.

I think I need a calcium supplement, too. But maybe I'll just start drinking a big glass of milk or something.

I have some kid's DHA gummies. The say they're lemonade flavor, but it's more of a lemon fish flavor. Gross.

Therapee
Jan 20, 2008
I've been taking Viactiv calcium chews for a really long time and they are absolutely delicious. I take the chocolate ones so I can't speak to the other flavors, but they are like soft creamy Toosie rolls. When I was dieting I would wait and eat them when I had a sweets craving.

*edit* I ordered some Pre-Seed and the company I ordered from sent me a shipment notice yesterday stating that the package would be sprinkled with plenty of baby dust. I feel like I have reached some sort of milestone.

Therapee fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Aug 29, 2010

Optimus_Rhyme
Apr 15, 2007

are you that mainframe hacker guy?

So we're trying to get pregnant and the doctor put my wife on Folgard OS. At $30 a month I'm looking for alternatives. Any ideas?

qentiox
Nov 8, 2005

I like dragons.

Optimus_Rhyme posted:

So we're trying to get pregnant and the doctor put my wife on Folgard OS. At $30 a month I'm looking for alternatives. Any ideas?

I used the Target brand prenatals with both pregnancies. It's 100 for $8 I believe.
http://sites.target.com/site/en/spot/mobile.jsp?title=product_detail&asin=B001FYZ5D2&keywords=Prenatal%20vitamin

I Wish I Was
Dec 11, 2006

Optimus_Rhyme posted:

Make sure to compare ingredients and dosages and not just price - my doctor when I was pregnant with my now 11-year-old told me that prescription prenatals are often higher quality with better bioavailability and are more accurate in providing what you actually need as opposed to either throwing the kitchen sink at you or having only 25% of what you need of one thing unless you take four of them which puts you at 400% or even 800% of other things. Lots of the OTC ones I've seen have a measly amount of calcium, for example.

EDIT: Actually, I just looked up Folgard OS and it appears to be 1.1 mg Folic Acid, 12.5 mg Vit B-6, 250 mcg Vit B-12, 100 mg Magnesium, 300 IU Vit D-3, 1.5 mg Boron - not nearly as much stuff as a prenatal multivitamin would have. So as long as the multi you buy covers those areas, you should be good to go.

I Wish I Was fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Aug 30, 2010

fishandcandy
Jul 10, 2006
You might want to ask the doctor if there was a reason he prescribed them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Therapee
Jan 20, 2008
My Pre-Seed came today and they weren't lying. They actually included "baby dust", which is code for a big bag of glitter and confetti moon, stars, and something that just says 'BABY'.

• Locked thread