Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Karmine
Oct 23, 2003

If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine.

Lone Rogue posted:

It makes the Attitude Era even more difficult to watch, as if Beaver Cleavage vs. Droz was easy on the eyes to begin with.

See I differentiate between early attitude era and late attitude era.

EARLY (97-99): Austin getting over like loving crazy, feud with McMahon, Rock gets his big push. Everything else was lovely.

LATE (00-01): Tag teams catch fire with the Hardys, E&C, Dudleys, and others, Rock becomes world famous and hosts SNL, storylines made sense and weren't (always) Crash TV bullshit

It has nothing to do with any questions but that's my take on the issue. Not all of the attitude era was hot garbage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CVagts
Oct 19, 2009
The best part of them having to go from WWF to WWE was the Bobby Heenan comment during his HOF speech.

ncumbered_by_idgits
Sep 20, 2008

CVagts posted:

The best part of them having to go from WWF to WWE was the Bobby Heenan comment during his HOF speech.
Which was what?

Perry Normal
Jul 23, 2010

Humans disgust me. Vile creatures.

Bikeage posted:

Why the hell is Papa Shango there?

"For our legends shirt, we need six legends and one character who wasn't even that guys most popular gimmick."

Space Cob
Jan 24, 2006

a pilot on fire is not fit to fly
I've been watching the 2009 Royal Rumble and got to thinking: are there any matches similar to the Rumble held by other promotions?

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Karmine posted:

See I differentiate between early attitude era and late attitude era.

EARLY (97-99): Austin getting over like loving crazy, feud with McMahon, Rock gets his big push. Everything else was lovely.

LATE (00-01): Tag teams catch fire with the Hardys, E&C, Dudleys, and others, Rock becomes world famous and hosts SNL, storylines made sense and weren't (always) Crash TV bullshit

It has nothing to do with any questions but that's my take on the issue. Not all of the attitude era was hot garbage.

Fair enough. I guess everything up until the Chris Kreski era was a lot of luck and a lot of poo poo.

DannoMack
Aug 1, 2003

i love it when you call me big poppa
Why was Chris Kreski replaced as head writer?

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

It's amazing that WWE and WCW were nearly opposites in that during alot of the head to head era WCW's midcard and cruiserweights were tearing it up every night and their main events were awful - and WWE was pretty awful for everything but the main events which were pretty good.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

DannoMack posted:

Why was Chris Kreski replaced as head writer?

2000-ish was really when Stephanie began to take a far more active role in the backstage operations of the company, and eventually Vince decided that she should be running creative. I'm pretty sure he still hung around as a contributor for another two years or so, but getting demoted and replaced by the boss's daughter has to sting, I would imagine.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Space Cob posted:

I've been watching the 2009 Royal Rumble and got to thinking: are there any matches similar to the Rumble held by other promotions?

WarGames, kind of.

Two teams of wrestlers with staggered entries into two rings surrounded by a cage, meaning one team would get the early advantage but the other team would have the freshest man to enter the ring by the end. You couldn't eliminate somebody until all wrestlers had entered the ring, at which point I believe it shifted to Elimination Rules.

I won't even go into TNA's Reverse Battle Royale, though....

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
TNA had (possibly still has) Gauntlet matches, which were battle royal/Royal Rumble elimination rules until the final 2, when it became pinfall/submission for the win.

Space Cob
Jan 24, 2006

Jerusalem posted:

WarGames, kind of.

Two teams of wrestlers with staggered entries into two rings surrounded by a cage, meaning one team would get the early advantage but the other team would have the freshest man to enter the ring by the end. You couldn't eliminate somebody until all wrestlers had entered the ring, at which point I believe it shifted to Elimination Rules.

I've always heard about War Games (and how TNA basically hosed it up by making the faces get the advantage) but I never actually sat down and watched one.

Is there one that stands out as the best? I'd love to watch the idea done right as I bet with the right stables it could be gold.

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

Jerusalem posted:

Yes, except it wasn't elimination, it ended as soon as any member of either team submitted or surrendered (no pins, no disqualifications and obviously no countouts).

Space Cob posted:

I've always heard about War Games (and how TNA basically hosed it up by making the faces get the advantage) but I never actually sat down and watched one.

Is there one that stands out as the best? I'd love to watch the idea done right as I bet with the right stables it could be gold.

WarGames '92 was popular last time I linked it: part one and part two.

Eugene Jerome
Jun 24, 2005

by angerbeet

Space Cob posted:

Wargames from Wrestlewar 1991 and Wargames from Wrestlewar 1992 were both rated ***** by Meltzer

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

Jerusalem posted:

I don't see why you wouldn't, I hear they are really very simple.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

tzirean posted:

Yes, except it wasn't elimination, it ended as soon as any member of either team submitted or surrendered (no pins, no disqualifications and obviously no countouts).

Laaaaaaaame.

Karmine
Oct 23, 2003

If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine.

Mr. Carlisle posted:

It's amazing that WWE and WCW were nearly opposites in that during alot of the head to head era WCW's midcard and cruiserweights were tearing it up every night and their main events were awful - and WWE was pretty awful for everything but the main events which were pretty good.

And then toward the end Raw was really good top to bottom and all of WCW was terrible!

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Karmine posted:

And then toward the end Raw was really good top to bottom and all of WCW was terrible!
And at the beginning Raw was pretty bad and WCW was great.

Rusty Shackelford
Feb 7, 2005

Space Cob posted:

What about WCW's World War 3?

Zack_Gochuck
Jan 4, 2007

Stupid Wrestling People
World War 3 was a pretty standard battle royal, though. Just on a large scale.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Just based on that one we watched a few months ago for a "Sunday Nitro", it was a neat concept but a loving pain to watch with the camerawork/setup of the time. They cut it into three cameras showing all the action all the time, making it difficult to actually follow anything and missing a ton of action/eliminations.

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe

Timby posted:

2000-ish was really when Stephanie began to take a far more active role in the backstage operations of the company, and eventually Vince decided that she should be running creative. I'm pretty sure he still hung around as a contributor for another two years or so, but getting demoted and replaced by the boss's daughter has to sting, I would imagine.

He was also constantly derided as a geek and a nerd for making storyboards for the angles he'd write.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

Was WCW the only group to use multiple rings in matches?

Space Cob
Jan 24, 2006

Rusty Shackelford posted:

What about WCW's World War 3?

I think I watched this once. Wasn't fun though :(

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib

projecthalaxy posted:

Was WCW the only group to use multiple rings in matches?

When Mick Foley won the Deathmatch Tournament in Japan, the show used 3 rings, mainly to transition from one match to another quickly while barbed wire and body parts were collected in the other two.

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

"Mathewson pitched against Cincinnati yesterday. Another way of putting it is that Cincinnati lost a game of baseball."

Captain Charisma posted:

He was also constantly derided as a geek and a nerd for making storyboards for the angles he'd write.

Which is funny, because Brian Gewirtz was the guy Stephanie pushed up to take Kreski's place and he's like the kind of all nerds.

Sotar
Dec 1, 2009
I just looked up the rules to a reverse battle royal. My head hurts.

Rusty Shackelford
Feb 7, 2005

Sotar posted:

I just looked up the rules to a reverse battle royal. My head hurts.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rKlNp7frkGc

Watching it is even worse.

HulkaMatt
Feb 14, 2006

BIG BICEPS SHOHEI

Best part of that match is Sonjay Dutt realizing nobody is around him. It would be stupid for him to not go into the ring, so he goes to climb in but he SLIPS.

Happens at 4:55.

Also Storm SNEAKING his way into the ring.

HulkaMatt fucked around with this message at 08:05 on Aug 23, 2010

NutShellBill
Dec 4, 2004
I AM SPUTNIK'S PARACHUTE ACCOUNT
I just watched it, and it wasn't that bad... -ish.

The reverse battle royal idea is an interesting idea, but poorly executed. If they'd started the 16 guys from outside the arena, as opposed to four feet away from the ring, it could have been like a fun little foot race to the ring.

Ignoring the fact that they could have just started things off as an 8 man battle royal, and still had the resentment between AMW, the battle royal was fun to watch. I don't watch TNA, so I had no idea who was going to win, so the result was surprising, at least.

I wish they'd stuck to the rules in the intro though.

- 16 Man Reverse Battle Royal
- 8 Man Normal Battle Royal
- Last 2 men have a match to determine the number one contender.

Instead, the rules get changed into that complicated "seeding a tournament" confusion, which really subtracted from what was going on in the ring. Kazarian, the Motor City Machinguns and god help me, Lance Hoyt looked REALLY good.

Of course, knowing Russo, the number eight seed probably beat number one, making the whole thing moot, and stupid.

It's a fun time waster match; but that's inexcusable when you have as many wrestlers on the roster as TNA does.

At least Kevin Nash didn't win?

El Duke Silver
Aug 15, 2008

rarely goes out and should never be approached

NutShellBill posted:

Of course, knowing Russo, the number eight seed probably beat number one, making the whole thing moot, and stupid.

Well, actually...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fight_for_the_Right_Tournament#2007_2

Yes. That's exactly what happened. It also includes the semi-final match between Christian and Chris Harris, neither of whom were in the quarter-finals.

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

"Winning is great, sure, but if you are really going to do something in life, the secret is learning how to lose. Nobody goes undefeated all the time. If you can pick up after a crushing defeat, and go on to win again, you are going to be a champion someday."
(Wilma Rudolph)

Chilly McFreeze posted:

Made this up pretty quick:

You're awesome- just sent you a PM!

HulkaMatt
Feb 14, 2006

BIG BICEPS SHOHEI

NutShellBill posted:

I just watched it, and it wasn't that bad... -ish.

YEP!!! Even though James Storm shouldn't be last place since he made it to... the final part.

Also here was the lovely tournament:

It was terrible. The match was terrible.

HulkaMatt fucked around with this message at 09:05 on Aug 23, 2010

Sotar
Dec 1, 2009
How the hell did Chris Harris and Christian Cage get into the semi-finals?

RacistGuidingLight
Apr 5, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Sotar posted:

Someone figured that no one wanted to watch Rikishi sit on Sabin for five minutes, I guess.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Sotar posted:

Well you see a graphic was shown telling us that Shelley and Sabin were OUT and Fatu held the company up for money (they didn't sign him to a contract before putting him in this tournament) so they just threw two random guys into the semis!

Scruttocks
Dec 19, 2006
High five little buddy! Yeah! My self-esteem is at an all time high!
The worst part of that is Robert Roode and Rikishi had a 15 minute match??!

I think Beer Money are awesome, but Roode was so so dull as a singles wrestler. I think he gets really overlooked when talking about most improved wrestlers.

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

CVagts posted:

ncumbered_by_idgits posted:

Which was what?
youtube answer (around 2:40):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eSCof4UYwb4

text answer:
He says WWF, then realizes he's not 'allowed' to say those initials, and goes off thusly:
"You want to talk about wildlife...when I came here, they had the three Freebirds. They had the Junkyard Dog, Mad Dog, two Bulldogs, a little...Matilda, a guy with another dog...you had two Killer Bees, you had a guy with a snake, you had a Hawaiian guy with a lizard...and to top it off, I'm the Weasel, doing commentary with a Gorilla!"

Edwardian
May 4, 2010

"Can we have a bit of decorum on this forum?"

oldskool posted:

youtube answer (around 2:40):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eSCof4UYwb4

text answer:
He says WWF, then realizes he's not 'allowed' to say those initials, and goes off thusly:
"You want to talk about wildlife...when I came here, they had the three Freebirds. They had the Junkyard Dog, Mad Dog, two Bulldogs, a little...Matilda, a guy with another dog...you had two Killer Bees, you had a guy with a snake, you had a Hawaiian guy with a lizard...and to top it off, I'm the Weasel, doing commentary with a Gorilla!"

[/quote]

Bobby Heenan needs an Own Zone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Edwardian posted:

Bobby Heenan needs an Own Zone.

Bobby Heenan IS the Own Zone.

Seriously, I love you Bobby. :)