Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

The only good EU news I can think of right now (Thrawn and Wraith excepted) is they've vowed to do no more multi-author series.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth Freddy
Feb 6, 2007

An Emperor's slightest dislike is transmitted to those who serve him, and there it is amplified into rage.

Greedish posted:

you mean Alzheimer's?

christ, altimers?

e: At least you didn't say old timers!

You never heard of the altimers? They are an alien race from a semi alternate dimension. Since the dawn of time they have been responsible for rapid on set of age in people. It is now up to one of the last true heros to put a stop to this horrible attack on the people of the galaxy.

Top Bunk Wanker
Jan 31, 2005

Top Trump Anger

Throb Robinson posted:

I hope the EU gets so out of control we are still debating on SA in like 20 years about the new Star wars books with 140 year old luke having to fight altimers to save the day.

I read this as Altmers, like from Morrowind, and thought "you know, that wouldn't be so bad".

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice
It'll be hilarious if Luke's still around in Legacy time period. Or Luuuke.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Der Luftwaffle posted:

By 1980s I'm not sure if you're talking about the Lando Calrissian Trilogy, but if not then I'd say check it out. It's pretty good in that it has very little to do with anything in the EU and pretty much consists entirely of Lando being a sarcastic bastard and playing space poker at every opportunity. Literally every opportunity, you'll understand when you read it.

That sounds exactly like what I'm talking about. Thanks!

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

arioch posted:

In the Legacy comic book series Luke is definitely dead as his force ghost showed up a couple of times.

Captain von Trapp
Jan 23, 2006

I don't like it, and I'm sorry I ever had anything to do with it.

arioch posted:

They could always introduce a Luke ghola.

DougieFFC
Mar 19, 2004

We are Fulham, super Fulham, we are Fulham, fuck Ch*lsea.

muscles like this? posted:

In the Legacy comic book series Luke is definitely dead as his force ghost showed up a couple of times.

Although the authors have always been deliberately ambiguous about the source of the projection. They say things like "it always *seems* to be Luke's Force-ghost".

hellsy
May 8, 2005
enjoy badger bleeding

Slantedfloors posted:

It's pretty annoying that Jedi Outcast had the perfect lightsaber dismembering system (had to be enabled, of course) years ago, but every game since they act like the Futurama light-billyclubs.

You should check out http://www.moviebattles.com/ its a star wars mod for jedi academy, the saber system is decent, nothing like chopping Count Duuku's head off. I think its pretty good and loads of people still play it. you can be pretty much everything from star wars and the battles all take place in real places from the star wars galaxy, like naboo and its theed generator.

Anyone else played it?

hellsy fucked around with this message at 13:57 on Aug 22, 2010

T-1000
Mar 28, 2010

WhyteRyce posted:

Yeah I thought the combo system, with the exception of a couple of moves, was annoying and didn't do much other than add some more "wow, acrobatics!" moves to the game. 90% of everything I did involved force pushing some enemy into another enemy or over a rail, usually after I charged them with lightning.
I think the best move was something like lightsaber, lightsaber, forcepush. It was basically the home run bat from Super Smash Brothers, launching whatever you hit into the stratosphere. That sort of overpowered absurdity is exactly what I want in my Star Wars videogames. I didn't complain back in the days when I got to fly a TIE Defender with a tractor beam (faster, more heavily armed, and better shielded than anything before or since), or a missile boat armed with something like eighty missiles (the most you ever got before was eight).
I killed so many rebels and traitorous Imperials, it's a wonder the Empire didn't win.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

hellsy posted:

You should check out http://www.moviebattles.com/ its a star wars mod for jedi academy, the saber system is decent, nothing like chopping Count Duuku's head off. I think its pretty good and loads of people still play it. you can be pretty much everything from star wars and the battles all take place in real places from the star wars galaxy, like naboo and its theed generator.

Anyone else played it?

Movie Battles is pretty awesome, as it is like the video game version of your childhood free for all star wars action figuire brawls.

Plus, Droideka friendly fire is the easiest way to troll both teams.

WorldsStongestNerd
Apr 28, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
I thought Jedi who were very strong in the force could have extended lives? I want to see an ancient Luke Skywalker slowly losing touch with his humanity as everyone he knows dies of old age. He becomes more and more detatched from the world and slowly slips over to the dark side. After witnessing hundreds of years of pointless and cyclical power struggles in the galaxly he decides that Vader was on to something with the whole iron fist of control thing.

Throb Robinson
Feb 8, 2010

He would enjoy administering the single antidote to Leia. He would enjoy it very much indeed..
I always hated the Idea of being Strong in the force or weak in the force. Jedi shouldn't have Power levels. I always figured you were or you weren't. Then again the EU seems to be big on making the Force a Genetic trait with whole races Force sensitive and such.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

arioch posted:

In my day we had class when we killed a man. Not with your fancy force-healing, and your death sticks, and your long hair. Why, when I was your age I had to blow up a Death Star; flying in a trench shooting at a thing the size of a womprat in middle of the greatest space blizzard the galaxy has ever seen. Did I complain? No sir, I did it and killed my pappy too because it was the right thing.

Humph, kids these days.

Locutus of Bald
Aug 20, 2009

by Debbie Metallica
In A New Hope, R2D2 plays a message to Ben Kenobi from Princess Leia that said, in part, "Years ago you served my father in the Clone Wars". But after rewatching the Prequel Trilogy, I didn't get the impression that Obi Wan was serving Bail Organa at all.

Or is this more of a "Obi Wan was a Jedi, who worked for the Republic, which Bail was part of by being a senator" thing?

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Locutus Of Bored posted:

In A New Hope, R2D2 plays a message to Ben Kenobi from Princess Leia that said, in part, "Years ago you served my father in the Clone Wars". But after rewatching the Prequel Trilogy, I didn't get the impression that Obi Wan was serving Bail Organa at all.

Or is this more of a "Obi Wan was a Jedi, who worked for the Republic, which Bail was part of by being a senator" thing?

It's Lucas being Lucas. Some things work out, others need to be stretched, some are just tossed out.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
I've finally gotten around to starting my Empire At War Alliance Campaign, oddly enough I never got far in it. Completed the Imperial and Zahn Campaigns in the past but always got stuck after getting Han Solo and Chewbacca on the winning side.

Murphys Law
Nov 1, 2005

Locutus Of Bored posted:

"General Kenobi, years ago my father sort of knew you. He let you on his ship that one time. You remember, don't you? Senator, tall, dark hair. Anyway, he needs a favor....."

Captain von Trapp
Jan 23, 2006

I don't like it, and I'm sorry I ever had anything to do with it.

Locutus Of Bored posted:

"Served" in this context makes it seem like her dad was a higher ranking officer, implying that they were both in the armed forces at some point. Obviously in the prequels they weren't. But either way, you're right. It's a boneheaded and obvious continuity that's almost as jarring as Leia's memory of her mother who in the prequels said all of one word to her before croaking.

Fledgling Gulps
Jul 4, 2007

I'll meet you in Meereen,
we'll grub out.
If Leia hadn't been intercepted and was able to deliver the message to Ben, would he have gone with her? Both he and Yoda seemed perfectly content to chill out in their respective hide-y holes for 20 years while the empire did its thing. Really, the only thing either of them were ever interested in was helping Luke become a jedi. They just wanted the sith dead and Luke to restart the jedi order. Who gives a gently caress about empires and rebels? I bet Ben would have told Leia to gently caress off.

EG
Jan 10, 2007
Just found this on wookiepedia-

A canon drawing of my new favorite alein species - http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Jeby

Well Manicured Man
Aug 21, 2010

Well Manicured Mort

EG posted:

Just found this on wookiepedia-

A canon drawing of my new favorite alein species - http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Jeby

Wookiepedia posted:

Jeby were prone to mirth—their laughter would cause the pink spots covering their body to fall off. As a result, the Jeby would be forced to recollect their lost spots with their tentacles, and reinstate them on their bodies. When detached, the spots of the Jeby would litter the surface of their home planet, Rainboh.

Whose bright idea was it to make winning contest entries canon? I see these in all sorts of franchises, not just Star Wars. I know it must feel good to the winner to know that he's added to the rich and varied EU, but where do creatures like the Jeby fit into the thematic landscape of the Star Wars universe? It makes no sense.

:v: It's almost as if the EU has no quality control!

Throb Robinson
Feb 8, 2010

He would enjoy administering the single antidote to Leia. He would enjoy it very much indeed..

Well Manicured Man posted:

Add this to the OP.

Darth Freddy
Feb 6, 2007

An Emperor's slightest dislike is transmitted to those who serve him, and there it is amplified into rage.

Well Manicured Man posted:

Whose bright idea was it to make winning contest entries canon? I see these in all sorts of franchises, not just Star Wars. I know it must feel good to the winner to know that he's added to the rich and varied EU, but where do creatures like the Jeby fit into the thematic landscape of the Star Wars universe? It makes no sense.

Because they got to make some little kids day and you know that's really neat?

vseslav.botkin
Feb 18, 2007
Professor

Fledgling Gulps posted:

If Leia hadn't been intercepted and was able to deliver the message to Ben, would he have gone with her? Both he and Yoda seemed perfectly content to chill out in their respective hide-y holes for 20 years while the empire did its thing. Really, the only thing either of them were ever interested in was helping Luke become a jedi. They just wanted the sith dead and Luke to restart the jedi order. Who gives a gently caress about empires and rebels? I bet Ben would have told Leia to gently caress off.

I always thought this had the potential to be an interesting Infinities story -- or maybe something similar, like "what if the droids hadn't gotten picked up by the Jawas or landed close enough to Obi-Wan to make the trek on their own?"

I doubt he would have told her to gently caress off, but even if he did, the stormtroopers would have tracked him down sooner or later, forcing him to take some sort of action regardless. Would he have gone looking for Luke, or just blown town? Maybe in some alternate universe he's the one making out with Leia and blowing up the Death Star.

jonjonaug
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

Fledgling Gulps posted:

If Leia hadn't been intercepted there wouldn't have been a message to Ben in the first place.

Her message was there so that Ben could deliver the plans for her, since she was about to be busy with the whole "get tortured by Darth Vader" thing. Someone needed to deliver the plans and Ben just happened to be in the area. If she hadn't been intercepted she would've delivered the plans herself.

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

There was a similar contest for people to create backstories for background characters that became canon...there were so many that one I would not be surprised if someone in this thread won that contest. Of course, even though one of our main beefs is with elaborate information on every single background dude, I would still take lame pride in contributing to Star Wars. God I suck.

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

I think we might now have a reason for Haden Blackman's sudden departure from Lucasarts...

Kotaku posted:

New Lucasarts president Paul Meegan certainly isn't wasting any time. Barely two months into the job and we hear he's already swinging the axe and cancelling high profile sequels.

If you were wondering why it was strange that Force Unleashed II creative director Haden Blackman would leave mid-project, this may explain things: according to sources at Lucasarts, Meegan has cancelled a third Force Unleashed game that was already in development, and members of Force Unleashed II's team (though we're not sure exactly how many) will be shown the door once that game ships.

I'm sure some people in this thread will be overjoyed by this, but think about it; TFU II has been proclaimed to be a "Empire Strikes Back" of sorts plot-wise, and since the third sequel's cancellation is taking place so late in TFUII's dev cycle, it's likely we're getting a cliffhanger ending with no foreseeable resolution in the future. Ouch, my canon.

Kotaku posted:

These sources say "morale and productivity are at all-time lows" since Meegan took over, with most Lucasarts developers only finding out about Force Unleashed II's cancellation on the PSP by reading it on gaming news sites.

Welp, looks like internal development at Lucasarts has gone to poo poo, thankfully we have competent developers like Bioware and Traveller's Tales to handle thi

Kotaku posted:

We've also been told that another sweeping change made by Meegan is that the majority of "external" development of Lucasarts properties is coming to an end, with BioWare's Old Republic MMO to be the last game not developed internally at Lucasarts. That would presumably mean, for example, no more LEGO Star Wars or LEGO Indiana Jones titles after the upcoming LEGO: Clone Wars, as those have all been handled by Traveller's Tales.

:wtc:

Fledgling Gulps
Jul 4, 2007

I'll meet you in Meereen,
we'll grub out.

jonjonaug posted:

If Leia hadn't been intercepted there wouldn't have been a message to Ben in the first place.

Her message was there so that Ben could deliver the plans for her, since she was about to be busy with the whole "get tortured by Darth Vader" thing. Someone needed to deliver the plans and Ben just happened to be in the area. If she hadn't been intercepted she would've delivered the plans herself.

Oh. :saddowns: I thought recruiting Ben was part of her mission all along. Why were they in the Tatooine system if it wasn't though? From what I understand from the movies, if you manage to get into lightspeed you've pretty much gotten away, so they must have come to Tatooine first then gotten caught by the star destroyer.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Cross-Section posted:

I'm sure some people in this thread will be overjoyed by this, but think about it; TFU II has been proclaimed to be a "Empire Strikes Back" of sorts plot-wise, and since the third sequel's cancellation is taking place so late in TFUII's dev cycle, it's likely we're getting a cliffhanger ending with no foreseeable resolution in the future. Ouch, my canon.
Maybe they can go spend some time making the Nextgen Indiana Jones game they promised 4 years ago.

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

JUST FUCKING TAKE OFF ALREADY, SHIT
That or make a new X-Wing or TIE Fighter. I can pray right? Every night?

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Those are just far too complicated for today's youth. How can you expect them to balance shields, engines, lasers, and beam? Besides, they'd just set it during the clone wars. No Thrawn for us.

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

It won't happen, sadly. The X-Wing/TIE Fighter series was developed by Totally Games; it wasn't a in-house project at Lucasarts, they only published. With this new "no external developers" policy that's being instituted, what small chance there was of a good sequel has gone up in smoke. :smith:

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Well no external developers sounds a hell of a lot better than no internal development (+Firings) that was the nightmare 2 years ago.

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Lucasarts might be facing that same situation again, though:

Kotaku posted:

Another unnamed project, due to ship next year, has avoided the axe, but has been "put on hold" while developers have been told to "expect management and reporting changes". Those changes are down to the departure of Blackman, who as work was winding down on Force Unleashed II had been leading development on this secret project.

Add that to the "low productivity and morale" bit from earlier, plus the fact that it's stated that most of TFUII's dev team is being shown the door when the game releases, and you start to see a lot of parallels between "two years ago" and now.

But I swear, if that "unnamed project" was Republic Commando II... :argh:

Dave Syndrome
Jan 11, 2007
Look, Bernard. Bernard, look. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Bernard! Bernard. Bernard. Look, Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard! Look! Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Look, Bernard! Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Bern

Cross-Section posted:

Add that to the "low productivity and morale" bit from earlier, plus the fact that it's stated that most of TFUII's dev team is being shown the door when the game releases, and you start to see a lot of parallels between "two years ago" and now.

I still haven't forgiven LucasArts for cancelling Sam & Max 2. :colbert:
Although now I'm worried. Telltale Games did an awesome job with the Sam & Max games, and Tales of Monkey Island was mostly brilliant. If this "no external development" policy means that Telltale won't be able to produce any more Sam & Max or Monkey Island games, there will be rioting.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!

Dave Syndrome posted:

I still haven't forgiven LucasArts for cancelling Sam & Max 2. :colbert:
Although now I'm worried. Telltale Games did an awesome job with the Sam & Max games, and Tales of Monkey Island was mostly brilliant. If this "no external development" policy means that Telltale won't be able to produce any more Sam & Max or Monkey Island games, there will be rioting.

Sam and Max isnt owned by Lucasarts, so no worries there.

Dave Syndrome
Jan 11, 2007
Look, Bernard. Bernard, look. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Bernard! Bernard. Bernard. Look, Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard! Look! Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Look, Bernard! Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Bern

Gutcruncher posted:

Sam and Max isnt owned by Lucasarts, so no worries there.

Ah, good to know. I'm stilly plenty worried for Guybrush though :ohdear:

Locutus of Bald
Aug 20, 2009

by Debbie Metallica

jonjonaug posted:

This is incorrect.

Leia said in the message, "Years ago you served my father in the Clone Wars. Now he begs for you to help him in his struggle against the Empire....I regret that I am unable to present my father's request to you in person"

She was going there to recruit Ben and bring him to Alderaan

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Ringo Star Get posted:

That or make a new X-Wing or TIE Fighter. I can pray right? Every night?

That pisses me off because I'm pretty Certain Rodriquez before he left in May made comments alluding to something new with the franchise. Granted it was a quick "Nothing yet, but something, soon..." comment, but it was better than nothing.

What the gently caress Lucasarts?