Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BeefofAges
Jun 5, 2004

Cry 'Havoc!', and let slip the cows of war.

dxt posted:

any engineering interview tips? I have my first one with xcel on thursday.

Try to think of some specific projects you worked on, so that in the interview when they ask you for examples of stuff you've worked on, you don't just give a vague one sentence answer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groda
Mar 17, 2005

Hair Elf
No matter where you apply to, try to find a map of the organization before you talk to someone who will be directly affecting your chances of getting hired.

ch3cooh
Jun 26, 2006

I got my first job through the on-campus screening and interview process, and I found my current job on the job board of an industry website (https://www.rigzone.com). If you are a student hit up every job fair, dressed preferably in a suit but at a minimum shirt and tie. Bring plenty of copies of your resume. Most of the big employers in your field will probably have fairly long lines so when you get to the recruiter keep it short, introduce yourself, tell them the kind of job your interested in and ask them a couple of quick questions about what they are looking for. Ask if they are accepting resumes and hand one over if they are. Ask them when they will be back on campus for interviews and the best way to get on the schedule. Thank them for their time and move to the next booth.

Most companies will host an info session the week of their on-campus interviews. NEVER SKIP ONE OF THESE. You'll learn a little about the company and many times can actually meet your interviewer there. This can help to take the edge off of the interviewer since you aren't walking into a room with a total stranger. Even if you aren't on the schedule for that company go to the info session, meet the recruiters and offer a copy of your resume and let them know that if anyone cancels or they have an opening in their schedule you would really like to interview. The day of the interviews keep your schedule clear so that you can be at an interview at the drop of a hat.

Basically in those situations you just have to grind on it. Just work and work and work at it, interview as often as possible.

skystream92
Jul 1, 2007

dxt posted:

any engineering interview tips? I have my first one with xcel on thursday.

Questions. Definately. Asking intelligent questions pertaining to the job you are applying for shows your ability to assess the challenges that come with the job and your interest in it as well.

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW
:circlefap::circlefap::circlefap:

Plinkey posted:

If they ask you something like 'Why are you interested in working for us?' A canned answer like 'I need a job' or 'I'll take whatever I can get at this point' won't get you anywhere.
This really hurts you in salary negotiations, too. Best if they think you're highly competed for.

Ziir
Nov 20, 2004

by Ozmaugh

skystream92 posted:

Questions. Definately. Asking intelligent questions pertaining to the job you are applying for shows your ability to assess the challenges that come with the job and your interest in it as well.

Nothing says "I'm not interested" than an interviewee saying he doesn't have any questions to ask.

T.H.E. Rock
Sep 13, 2007
;)
Any advice on grad school for engineers? I'm debating on going for my masters (mechanical or materials science) right out of school or working for a few years and trying to get someone to pay for it.

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

T.H.E. Rock posted:

working for a few years and trying to get someone to pay for it.

This. Just ask about tuition assistance in the interview, most large companies will have some kind of program that you can get your masters in a related field. Grad classes are expensive as poo poo ($2900/class * 10 classes for me). So that's like 30k+ saved.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Thoguh fucked around with this message at 14:31 on Aug 10, 2023

skystream92
Jul 1, 2007

Plinkey posted:

This. Just ask about tuition assistance in the interview, most large companies will have some kind of program that you can get your masters in a related field. Grad classes are expensive as poo poo ($2900/class * 10 classes for me). So that's like 30k+ saved.

Out of curiousity, do you happen to know what level of tuition assistance is pretty normal in industry? I think my company only gives you ~5k per year, which seems pretty low to me.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

skystream92 posted:

Out of curiousity, do you happen to know what level of tuition assistance is pretty normal in industry? I think my company only gives you ~5k per year, which seems pretty low to me.

I'm really not sure what the standard is. I work for a defense contractor and we are unlimited to anything that says "engineering" behind it or MBAs. I believe that the business people and some other location are limited to something like 15k/year. They also pay for my books here. I've got another friend that works for another smaller engineering company, and they do it all on a case by case basis.

There is also no limit on how many degrees you get/how long you go to school here. You are just hooked in for a year after your last day of class (or you have to pay them back for any classes taken in the previous year).

A few people around here have something like: BS EE, MS EE, MS COMP SCI, MS SYSTEMS, MBA. So here you can just go to school indefinitely. Getting a PhD or a JD requires some extenuating circumstances though.

pimpology 101
Aug 6, 2006
Pimpin' ain't easy.
Does anyone know how the job market is in the Silicon Valley/Bay Area?
I'm studying to be a Computer Engineer right now.
I'd really like to move there after I graduate and I figure they must have more engineering jobs than here in New York.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Forever Zero posted:

I have a question, I can't decide if I would rather go into medicine or Engineering. Math kicked my rear end at first, but someone told me that the classes get somewhat easier the higher you go because they aren't "weed out" courses anymore, also, which one is better for job opportunities?

Why not just do both and major in biomedical engineering! There are some people that will tell you a biomedical engineering degree is worthless, but the trick is to make sure you really concentrate in one area of biomed, and you will pretty much have to go to grad school and get an MS or ME/MSE. I didn't, and it screwed me over...I have a job that is sort of in the biomed industry, but it's more technician work than actual engineering work.

ApathyGifted
Aug 30, 2004
Tomorrow?

pimpology 101 posted:

Does anyone know how the job market is in the Silicon Valley/Bay Area?
I'm studying to be a Computer Engineer right now.
I'd really like to move there after I graduate and I figure they must have more engineering jobs than here in New York.

California has 12.3% unemployment right now. I wanted to move there too, but:

a) 12.3% unemployment!
b) drat it's expensive. Mostly talking about rent, but gas prices tend to be higher AND you're likely going to be commuting further (I'm assuming you just mean you're in New York state, and not NYC specifically).

The average aerospace job in California pays 10k more than it does here in NC, but the rent for an apartment alone is full-on doubled, coupled with typically higher gas prices and much longer commutes in greater traffic, etc.

Save California for when the economy has calmed the hell down and you've gotten a bit of experience to warrant some extra pay to offset the cost of living.

dxt
Mar 27, 2004
METAL DISCHARGE

grover posted:

This really hurts you in salary negotiations, too. Best if they think you're highly competed for.

so I shouldn't tell them its my first interview then

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Free Broken Glass!
Aug 3, 2009
Always drop your teleporter as soon as you can leave the spawn zone. Even if you and your sentry are dead, you still get points and can help your team by bringing them to the front line. As fun as killing stuff is, getting everyone else into battle is a far more effective contribution.

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Free Broken Glass! posted:

Always drop your teleporter as soon as you can leave the spawn zone. Even if you and your sentry are dead, you still get points and can help your team by bringing them to the front line. As fun as killing stuff is, getting everyone else into battle is a far more effective contribution.

Good advice right here.

Ostiosis
Nov 3, 2002

I enrolled in an Electrical Engineering course at Vermont Tech, and just found out it's accredited differently from regular colleges (ABET-TAC instead of ABET-EAC) and am wondering what the difference is and if anyone has transfered credits between the two before.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Ostiosis posted:

I enrolled in an Electrical Engineering course at Vermont Tech, and just found out it's accredited differently from regular colleges (ABET-TAC instead of ABET-EAC) and am wondering what the difference is and if anyone has transfered credits between the two before.

Looking it up, Vermont Tech only offers technology programs. You are not in a program to become an engineer, and your credits will not transfer to a degree granting one beyond the normal math, sciences, etc requirements.

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Ostiosis posted:

From what I can tell it's a EET degree. Is it a 2 year program as opposed to a 4 year program?

Ostiosis
Nov 3, 2002

Plinkey posted:

From what I can tell it's a EET degree. Is it a 2 year program as opposed to a 4 year program?

They said they are doing a four year program starting next year and I am a freshman. I don't really know what the degree is for if it's not EE.

sw0cb
Feb 18, 2007
I've got a question. I'm knocking out math classes and such at my local community college before transferring to the University of Central florida to finish my Mechanical Engineering degree. Does anyone who went to school in orlando or at UCf have any tips? Like clubs I should join or things I can seek out that will end up helping me in the long run?

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Ostiosis posted:

They said they are doing a four year program starting next year and I am a freshman. I don't really know what the degree is for if it's not EE.

If it's a 4 year starting next year I have no idea if it can/will be accredited by ABET-EAC by the time you graduate, I'm sure that it's accredited by ABET somehow. If it's a 4 year there is a good chance that it's a full on EE program.

Accreditation really doesn't matter a whole lot as long as your program has it, I don't know any major engineering school that's not accredited. GPA and work experience matter a lot more. Also school name dropping can get you somewhere, if you're in an area with a lot of grads from one school, like PSU, VT, GT, Purdue, OSU...etc.

Ostiosis
Nov 3, 2002

Plinkey posted:

If it's a 4 year starting next year I have no idea if it can/will be accredited by ABET-EAC by the time you graduate, I'm sure that it's accredited by ABET somehow. If it's a 4 year there is a good chance that it's a full on EE program.

Accreditation really doesn't matter a whole lot as long as your program has it, I don't know any major engineering school that's not accredited. GPA and work experience matter a lot more. Also school name dropping can get you somewhere, if you're in an area with a lot of grads from one school, like PSU, VT, GT, Purdue, OSU...etc.

It's accredited by ABET-TEC right now.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
I'm an engineer. :3:

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe

Baloogan posted:

I'm an engineer. :3:

Terrible low content post ^^

You don't need to take engineering to be an engineer, any hard science will do.

Programming, physics, mathematics and a good attitude are all you need.

I work with lasers, sonar and sensors in general.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Ostiosis posted:

Its a degree in Electrical Engineering Technology and accredited as such. Its a technician degree, not an engineer's degree.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Thoguh posted:

ABET accreditation is crucial for any engineering degree. Anyone who tells you otherwise is trying to sell you on their school. For any proffesional certification your degree must be ABET accredited, and for government contracts there is often a clause specifying that a certain (very high) percentage of your engineers working on the project have ABET accredited degrees.

If your school is already accredited by ABET for a two year degree, I would assume they know what it takes to get accredited for a full engineering degree before you graduate, but you are taking a small risk that they won't get accreditation in the next few years.

That's what I meant but worded it bad: Accreditation doesn't matter much as long as it's ABET, and don't waste your time with a non-accredited school.

Phlegmbot
Jun 4, 2006

"a phlegmatic...and certainly undemonstrative [robot]"

Baloogan posted:

You don't need to take engineering to be an engineer, any hard science will do.

Programming, physics, mathematics and a good attitude are all you need.

Not quite. Unfortunately a math or physics degree won't get you an engineering license in Ontario, for example.

Vivek
Jun 27, 2007

Phlegmbot posted:

Not quite. Unfortunately a math or physics degree won't get you an engineering license in Ontario, for example.

Not all engineers are licensed.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Vivek posted:

And not all countries allow you to call yourself an engineer without being licensed. Canada is a bitch about it for example.

Phlegmbot
Jun 4, 2006

"a phlegmatic...and certainly undemonstrative [robot]"

Vivek posted:

In this province to do any engineering work that involves public safety and welfare, you need to be licensed. I don't know anything about other jurisdictions.

jayd42
Jul 19, 2004
custom title

Phlegmbot posted:

In this province to do any engineering work that involves public safety and welfare, you need to be licensed. I don't know anything about other jurisdictions.

My licensed boss looks over all my work... You can work without a license, you just can't sign anything or legally call yourself an engineering.

jayd42
Jul 19, 2004
custom title

Ziir posted:

I'm a Rocket Scientist :smug:.

Well, not really. I have a BS in Aerospace Engineering and I've worked for defense/aerospace contractors and NASA. I just graduated in May actually and now I'll be a Mechanical Engineering graduate student focusing on computational fluid dynamics (CFD) next month. If anyone has questions about aerospace engineering, mechanical engineering, fluid dynamics, CFD, or how much paperwork is required for the simplest DoD projects, ask away.

I work at a small shop that will sometimes quote on jobs that involve tall exhaust stacks. We use Solid Works and have the flow modeling package, but haven't really used it a whole lot because my boss and I are unsure of how to go about verifying any results that the CFD package shoots out. Specifically, we had to deal with vortex shedding frequencies recently. We ended up increasing the strength and natural harmonic of the structure instead of going with something cool, like altering the vortex shedding frequency.

How would we go about verifying the CFD results?

lu lu lu
Jul 27, 2007
I've got some apples
I have a quick question for the Civil engineers. I'm going back to school for Civil, and I was wondering how much the upper division courses relied on chemistry. I already have all the credits I need, but it's been about seven years. Would it be in my best interest to retake it?

T.C.
Feb 10, 2004

Believe.
It depends on how your program is structured and what they actually do in the classes. The spots where it might be important are in materials classes/metallurgy if you do either of those, water treatment or possibly some kinds of environmental engineering classes.

I know I could have gotten away without university chemistry. The classes where it was vaguely useful explained the concepts again because they figured you wouldn't remember.

See if you can find someone in the program you're doing to ask. It's pretty program specific.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeathByDoubleDip
Feb 9, 2009
Jaded undergrad physics senior here considering CS/EE/M.E. for an M.S. degree and possibly a Ph.D. Can anyone tell me about the kind of catch-up or remedial work I'd be expected to complete? I'm barely taking my first EE course this year (a Signals/Systems elective) and I'm still looking at some other options as well.

Also, aside from an internship which is no longer an option seeing as this is my last year (I got into one on an Air Force Base, and wasn't clear if it was slanted towards EE or ME, and a plasma physics research thing, and I ended up choosing the latter), is there any way I can continue to try to narrow down my focus? I'm currently looking at photonics (EE), plasma processing (EE/ME), robotics, scientific computing (CS), but I'd be open to look at fluids, as long as it's not HVAC stuff (I already know that puts me to sleep).