Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lemons
Jul 18, 2003

MA-Horus posted:

Those goretex socks are the greatest piece of issued kit you can get. They will keep your feet warm, and DRY. When morale is poo poo, you've been up for a million years, you can take comfort that your feet are dry at least.

I've never worn goretex socks before, but my feet get a bit sweaty just from sitting around the office. I guess I just have sweaty feet. Wouldn't goretex socks just make that worse by not allowing the sweat to escape/be absorbed?

Of course, I've never been in the army so maybe you guys are standing in water/mud all day, and sweat would be preferable, I don't know.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elgar
Mar 12, 2005
Hey guys, what is going on I don't understand.
Tuyop, Simkin. I'll be seeing you guys on the 1.2 interation starting in Nov. I'm a retard and failed my 1.2 this summer so I'm with you guys in the fall. Woo. You guys better not be weirdos.

Oh as for the Int thing that was being discussed earlier. Int is closed. I have a friend trying to transfer to Int and she can't get in. Yes Infantry NCM is closed as well.

Simkin
May 18, 2007

"He says he's going to be number one!"
Personally, I just went with Neos, but those have their pros and cons as well. Either way, you always need to bring a shitload of extra socks, and at least one extra pair of boots to the field. It's not just a sort of useful thing to bring, it's absolute necessity.

Simkin
May 18, 2007

Elgar posted:

Tuyop, Simkin. I'll be seeing you guys on the 1.2 interation starting in Nov. I'm a retard and failed my 1.2 this summer so I'm with you guys in the fall. Woo. You guys better not be weirdos.

Oh as for the Int thing that was being discussed earlier. Int is closed. I have a friend trying to transfer to Int and she can't get in. Yes Infantry NCM is closed as well.

Tuyop bombed out of 1.1, so it's just going to be me on 1.2. How many of you guys didn't make it through to the end of course?

Elgar
Mar 12, 2005
Don't listen to him. After a few days your feet start to smell like ammonia and I'm pretty sure that kills everything off. 8) At least you guys had it somewhat dry this summer. Although a lot more balls I heard.

Wha? I didn't see that. Just bad at skimming I suppose.

It wasn't many. Like 4 out of 60. Which makes it worse. It wouldn't have been so bad if it was a 50% fail rate like 1.1.

Pro of the LAVs? you have heaters that can dry your kit in a few minutes.

Elgar fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Aug 20, 2010

Simkin
May 18, 2007

Noice. I believe plans were being hatched to figure out tiedown points for a barbeque and travel fridge, such that any patrol base would immediately turn into a tailgate party.

It was a lot drier this summer from what I've heard, but there were still a few days where you had no opportunity to avoid being soaked - you either got it from above, below (gently caress you, I'm not following you through all those cattails, ffffffffuuuuu), or from just soaking wet fields that we were patrolling or doing hasties through.

How were the DS on 1.2? We bonded with (or at least liked) all of the warrants on 1.1, but not always so much the officers. Maybe if they weren't just dicks the vast majority of the time that they were with us...

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

CANADA DOESN'T GET PENS LIKE THIS

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made American Products. Bitch.

Elgar posted:

Pro of the LAVs? you have heaters that can dry your kit in a few minutes.

You were allowed to use things to make you suffer less in training as an officer? You know what we were allowed to use to ease the suffering as an NCM? Nothing, when our kit got wet we switched it out or dried it in the sun, if it was raining well, you were hosed. I wish I went through university.

Simkin
May 18, 2007

^^ It's been that way (the not having anything to make life suck less) for all of my training, but I imagine there's a few perks of being in a LAV that would just be a pain in the rear end to try to deny to us.

Co-ed Butane Inspector
Nov 18, 2003

Why must I be so Curious?
I was just down at the local recruitment office. Sadly the recruiters had all left for the day, I ended up talking to a navel officer, not too much help, but was able to answer a few of my questions.
He was able to tell me they are all full up for the year. I am interested in med tech. I almost finished school, and just wanted to sit down and talk with a recruitment officer about my options. He was able to give me the number for the local reserves though. I will try and head down there again or call the recruitment officer in a few weeks if not sooner.
Anyone here a medtech? willing to share what a normal day is like?

Co-ed Butane Inspector fucked around with this message at 04:16 on Aug 24, 2010

compressioncut
Sep 3, 2003

Eat knuckle, Fritz!
In-service commissioning programs are open again - CEOTP and UTPNCM. Only six MOCs open in the former (Inf, Armd, Arty, AEC, Plt and I think MARS), pretty well all of them in the latter.

COT program is also open if you want a remuster to something more interesting (SARTECH, AESOP and so on). AESOP would be OK.

Will the third time be a charm? I think so. Guy who beat me last year tried three times, and my new CO is a lot more proactive.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Simkin posted:

^^ It's been that way (the not having anything to make life suck less) for all of my training, but I imagine there's a few perks of being in a LAV that would just be a pain in the rear end to try to deny to us.

Hey simkin are you on leave or something? I don't think I've seen you around on PAT.

Also all your lav talk is making me hate my career (more).

Simkin
May 18, 2007

Yeah, I took what pitiful two days short they were giving me and burned 4 annual to gtfo New Brunswiick. Not really looking forward to being on PAT under Capt.youknowwho, but oh well, it won't be for that long. Maybe I'll even get the chance to see the dentist for my first time in my military career.

Boogat
Jan 5, 2006

Oh, I am serious. Look, this is my serious face.
Does anyone here know anything about MPOs? Is this something I should try and stay away from? I get the feeling they just deal with administrative bullshit and spend most of the time behind a desk... I don't want to join up and then get stuck in something that has me counting down the days till I can leave. Becoming a civilian constable is my ultimate career goal, so I would want to do something that would give "somewhat" relavent experience. I don't have a police foundations degree, so I can't go for an actual MP spot.

I was actually considering Infantry Officer until I read Simkin's posts lol.

Simkin
May 18, 2007

Hahaha... Glad to see I broadened your horizons a bit. I've actually been looking into OT'ng to MPO as well, but they've been shooting everyone down as far as transfers go for the past little while (okay, for as long as I've been in Gagetown). I'd also be interested to hear from someone with actual experience as an MP officer as to what the job entails.

Elgar
Mar 12, 2005
I have had a good go so far. I'm being sent off to Wainwright for a few weeks OJT so that should be neat. Unfortunately I have to use my leave, not something I really wanted to do. Ah well I suppose. 17 annual to use :(. Block leave is balls

Also Simkin, Hush now, Capt Canada is always ready to lead everyone to fitness excellence. I got along well with him when he was my course O so hopefully that rubs off to the limited experience I will have with him on PAT.

Tuyop, are you redoing 1.1 then? Should be even more fun in Jan. Wooo. Best thing about 1.2 in the winter though is you can only use roads, so there are only one you can really attack an obj and there are only 4 objs. Don't know what it means on the defense though. As long as I don't fail it again. Ugh. loving defensive.

As for using poo poo to lessen our suffering. The Lavs have to be started up to keep the batteries charged. SO just ramp up the heater while it "Charges" for 20 minutes.

As for relations with the staff everyone got along alright I thought. But all the staff is changing out for this 1.2. We might get all those happy folks from 1.1. As a lot of the 1.1 officers were out for our course evaluating us. It could be a sign. Or just use of resources, who knows?

We will be getting D60 for our course by the way. It is the King's life in comparison to H1. I am actually suffering now that I got moved to the F lines from D59. My own Bed, bathroom and cable? Sigh.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe
I saw the good captain doing 5 x 205 pound snatches at the gym last night. It was beautiful.

I'm heading out to Spain and France to parade my growing PAT belly around the beaches of southern Europe next week. Love the block leave. I have to drive down to Halifax on Friday, come back to report in on Monday and then loving bust it to Montreal to catch my flight at 20:45. It's really gay that they couldn't just give me one more day so I could have a whole extra weekend away.

Latest word on the new course is that it's not until May.

Also, regarding comfort in the field: I actually don't really mind it at all. I didn't wear neos or rain gear or gortex socks of any sort all summer. It wasn't so bad. :suicide:

Alain Perdrix
Dec 19, 2007

Howdy!
This is probably a dumb, dumb question with a very obvious answer, and you might all just laugh at me, but here goes:

I travel a fair bit for work in the summers and operate my own businesses. Additionally, I'm a full-time student. Is there any conceivable way I could join the reserves? Apparently you can do weekend BMQ or something, but would I then be completely hosed when it came to BIQ/SQ or whatever?

I can't afford to give my work and work-related travel up, as I need them to live, and they represent a career that I've fought rather hard to establish. Are the reserves just not in the cards at all for me?

DrakeriderCa
Feb 3, 2005

But I'm a real cowboy!

Alain Perdrix posted:

This is probably a dumb, dumb question with a very obvious answer, and you might all just laugh at me, but here goes:

I travel a fair bit for work in the summers and operate my own businesses. Additionally, I'm a full-time student. Is there any conceivable way I could join the reserves? Apparently you can do weekend BMQ or something, but would I then be completely hosed when it came to BIQ/SQ or whatever?

I can't afford to give my work and work-related travel up, as I need them to live, and they represent a career that I've fought rather hard to establish. Are the reserves just not in the cards at all for me?

You can do weekend BMQ & SQ (I did :( ), but because they're only run on weekends they stretch out over a few months. So you need to guarantee that you'll be available for all those weekends for a few months straight.

And yes, at some point you will have to be able to set aside a few months to do your trades course (BIQ, etc).

vains
May 26, 2004

A Big Ten institution offering distance education catering to adult learners

Simkin posted:

I don't know how it is in the Canadian military but the heaters in our LAVs never work.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Alain Perdrix posted:

The reserves are probably not for you. Why would you want to join the reserves, anyway? You have a lot on the go and can't really do any Class B contracts or conceivably go on tour at all.

Alain Perdrix
Dec 19, 2007

Howdy!

tuyop posted:

The reserves are probably not for you. Why would you want to join the reserves, anyway? You have a lot on the go and can't really do any Class B contracts or conceivably go on tour at all.

I was a cadet, and always wanted to go regular force. I've got a lot of friends in the regular force, and just sort of fell into the other career I'd always dreamed of (the only career I would put above joining the CF) pretty much immediately out of high school.

It keeps me traveling a lot, and I would be crazy to give it up. Not many people get to do it. With that said, I still think about the reserves every once in a while, and this is one of those once-in-a-whiles. I work out six days a week and I shoot frequently, which I suppose is realistically as close to being in the CF as I'm ever going to be.

Alain Perdrix fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Aug 26, 2010

Ruse
Dec 16, 2005

Gentlemen, let's broaden our minds!
Well, I've been TD'd to the Iroquois for two weeks until my Boarding Party course starts. That wouldn't be too bad if I wasn't sitting through HAZMAT lectures all day today and then major storing all week.

:negative:

Samu
Jan 11, 2010

The only thing I hate more than hippie neo-liberal fascists and anarchists are the hypocrite fat cat suits they grow up to become.
Guys I got qualified on the C7 and I think my dick is at least an inch bigger now. Is this normal?

Fraser CDN
May 16, 2009
MORON

Samu posted:

Guys I got qualified on the C7 and I think my dick is at least an inch bigger now. Is this normal?

Fire the Carl G(84mm), your dick will grow by feet. Range week was fun, except having to look forward to the BFT on Friday, but I think they have changed that now.

M. Propagandalf
Aug 9, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Vancouver reservist here with a week left in CFSAL Borden to wrap up my QL3 for RMS Clk, and its the first time I've ever gone east of my province within Canada.

Nearly had the chance to visit Montreal with the only francophone girl on our course, but travel arrangements for the weekend didn't work out. A guy from my unit on course with me managed to speak a bit of French with her, and I found out that he took up the Explore program. I'm headed for my last year as an undergrad, so I'm going to apply for Explore and hopefully have the chance to spend next summer in Montreal to make up for missing out for this summer.

Highlight of the course so far was having the commandant drop by in class and having a casual chat. He dropped by a second time to give a presentation on taking up UN missions and his own tour in Sudan. Our course director also mentioned his opportunities of living off the fat of Europe sans taxes while taking tours there. The cool tour opportunities for UN/NATO missions are supposed to be mainly for ranks Sgt and above.

Up until then, I would have just settled with going as far as taking my QL5 and sticking as a corporal, but now I'm tempted to go after PLQ so I get the chance to be on UN/NATO operations.

Simkin
May 18, 2007

Samu posted:

Just wait until you get to do some live fire with a C6. You'll be drilling holes in the ground when you go prone. :swoon:

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe
Yeah the area support weapons give you a serious hard-on.

I still think the 84 sounds like the loving hand of god when it fires. You need to wear two pieces of ear protection on the range (plugs and those over-the-ear headphone things) and it still makes your ears ring.

The M203 is gay though. Just all kinds of gay.

Fraser CDN
May 16, 2009
MORON

tuyop posted:

I still think the 84 sounds like the loving hand of god when it fires. You need to wear two pieces of ear protection on the range (plugs and those over-the-ear headphone things) and it still makes your ears ring.

203 is gay if you get blueberries or are on a winter course and cant see them land. I never got 2 sets of ear protection when I fired the Carl G( only those use once throw away plugs), I loved that thing, it felt so awesome when it fired. Like taking a boot to the chest. Also good for cleaning your nose out.

Lassitude
Oct 21, 2003

Does it make me a bad infantry dude if none of the weapons are all that exciting to me? Personally I'm just in it for the hardcore camping and hiking experience. If there were a job in the CF where I could just walk around in the bush and camp all day err day I'd probably quit university and do that for a living.

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

tuyop posted:

Wow, wrong on two accounts, I wore a set of disposable earplugs when I fired the Carl G. It wasn't loud if you were firing the weapon, only if you were spectating. Also M203's are the most badass weapon I've fired even if it was just chalk rounds. Its fuckin' so much fun. Its a hard weapon to accurately fire and it's just all around badass when firing from the hip(had a really cool RO)

acumen
Mar 17, 2005
Fun Shoe

My Spirit Otter posted:

Wow, wrong on two accounts, I wore a set of disposable earplugs when I fired the Carl G. It wasn't loud if you were firing the weapon, only if you were spectating. Also M203's are the most badass weapon I've fired even if it was just chalk rounds. Its fuckin' so much fun. Its a hard weapon to accurately fire and it's just all around badass when firing from the hip(had a really cool RO)

For the record, the M203 is one of the best weapon systems we employ overseas. A good grenadier is a very valuable asset.

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

acumen posted:

For the record, the M203 is one of the best weapon systems we employ overseas. A good grenadier is a very valuable asset.

I believe it. I've heard stories of a member of 2vp being able to lob a round into a bathroom window from 100 meters away. However that is all hearsay. I do believe it because the 203 is one of the infantry's primary area neutralization weapons

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

M. Propagandalf posted:

Vancouver reservist here with a week left in CFSAL Borden to wrap up my QL3 for RMS Clk, and its the first time I've ever gone east of my province within Canada.

Nearly had the chance to visit Montreal with the only francophone girl on our course, but travel arrangements for the weekend didn't work out. A guy from my unit on course with me managed to speak a bit of French with her, and I found out that he took up the Explore program. I'm headed for my last year as an undergrad, so I'm going to apply for Explore and hopefully have the chance to spend next summer in Montreal to make up for missing out for this summer.

Highlight of the course so far was having the commandant drop by in class and having a casual chat. He dropped by a second time to give a presentation on taking up UN missions and his own tour in Sudan. Our course director also mentioned his opportunities of living off the fat of Europe sans taxes while taking tours there. The cool tour opportunities for UN/NATO missions are supposed to be mainly for ranks Sgt and above.

Up until then, I would have just settled with going as far as taking my QL5 and sticking as a corporal, but now I'm tempted to go after PLQ so I get the chance to be on UN/NATO operations.

Oh hey there something I know about

Took my RMS QL3s in August 2004. If I may give one very important piece of advice:

Do NOT, under any circumstances, visit the JR's mess the night before your accounting exam. I had such a bad scotch hangover I passed by 1%.

Enjoy the good food. When I was there, the 2004 Summer Olympics were on but the base SM (KEEP OFF THE loving GRASS YOU TROOPS) had the cable line taken down due to a grad parade. Because of that douche I didn't get to watch any of it. It's a hard life.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe
vOv, the M203 is heavy and makes the C7 imbalanced and the chalk rounds sound like a toy. Maybe it's because we weren't allowed to use slings on our course that I hate it so much. I don't care how effective it is because in the mean time it's just another heavy piece of metal I'm going to have to carry everywhere.

And yeah, the 84 still made my ears ring with the double ear protection on. Maybe I just have sensitive ears.

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW
:circlefap::circlefap::circlefap:
Has Canada shown any interest in the XM25 the US is developing to replace the M203?

Gay but Spooky
Oct 25, 2005
boots, gently caress sack marches, guns, grass

the army sucks

M. Propagandalf
Aug 9, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

MA-Horus posted:

Oh hey there something I know about

Took my RMS QL3s in August 2004. If I may give one very important piece of advice:

Do NOT, under any circumstances, visit the JR's mess the night before your accounting exam. I had such a bad scotch hangover I passed by 1%.

Enjoy the good food. When I was there, the 2004 Summer Olympics were on but the base SM (KEEP OFF THE loving GRASS YOU TROOPS) had the cable line taken down due to a grad parade. Because of that douche I didn't get to watch any of it. It's a hard life.

I've never been much of a drinker - I had less than one glass for nearly the last two months was by invitation from a guy who was on my BMQ-L at Bleachers. Last night was the first night I actually stayed at the JR ranks mess, and that's only because I found out they played the UFC match.

The food is a bit of a disappointment compared to what I had at PRTC Chilliwack, which is where I did my BMQ-L. On the plus side, there's the luxury of having time to actually eat and digest our food, as opposed to cramming it down within 15 minutes before the next timing.

Some people on our course purchased wireless cable, which they've been willing to share for a few bucks. Along with that, I've been fortunate enough to have a notebook that my roommate lent to me until the end of the course (only because he bought a new one himself to play Starcraft II), thus keeping out of net withdrawal.

I think this year is the first year the ECs and PCs are marked differently - we don't get percentages. Instead, we lose marks that are categorized as critical, essential, and non-essential errors. You're allowed either less than two or three critical errors, anything beyond that is a fail. Based on a given test, five NEs will equal an E, and ten Es will equal a C. So if two criticals are a fail, the maximum number of errors you can have is 1C, 9Es, and 4NEs. Based on this system, my worst test so far has been on the CCPS - I understood and input everything, except I forgot one print screen, which cost me a C and a perfect score. On the other hand, my claims PC had a sea of red because of wrong calculations, which led to a bunch of errors, but none of them totaled up to a C.

acumen
Mar 17, 2005
Fun Shoe

grover posted:

Has Canada shown any interest in the XM25 the US is developing to replace the M203?

Doubtful. The only other option I've seen is one of those easily detachable stand-alone grenade launchers where the tube swings to the side to load instead of forward.

Simkin
May 18, 2007

I hated the 203 all course long, until the last week, when we moved into live fire platoon attacks, and they started issuing us ammo. Sure, it was just chalk rounds, but then again, we're just shooting at mannequins. I plowed through 3 bandoleers (18 rounds) in a bit under 5 minutes, and by the end, the hand guard on the 203 had actually separated (the glue melted :v: ). Then again, everything's more fun when you actually get to shoot it, rather than just humping it around for the sake of weight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fraser CDN
May 16, 2009
MORON
edit: never mind