Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kassoon
Nov 16, 2005

gonna hit you with his cockatrice

toro913 posted:

Kassoon watch Casablanca and you better like, or else.

Well you won't be disappointed this day, because I did eventually like Casablanca. I say eventually because I thought the start was really bad, and the woman was so full of cliche that it reminded me it was made in 1940, but then the ending was so great and kept me guessing that it ended up really good overall. I thought I would be bored because older movies tend to be predictable and I'm just not able to enjoy a movie if I know what's going to happen next, but everything turned out okay in the end and I think it deserves that #16 spot.

marioinblack posted:

I've only really seen this and Basterds, and it's really a hit or miss movie depending on the style of comedy you like. So instead of putting a potential dud on you, I'll put this since it's a very solid movie. One of the better WWII movies I've watched (although about half of what I've watched came from this thread).

Saving Private Ryan is yet another riveting WWII story (I guess it's the theme of this post now). While not on par with Schindler's List it's also not really comparable since it's a different perspective and genre really. The action scenes are about as well done as they possibly could be. Plus the use of sound might be the best I can remember in a movie. I felt a little disconnect with some of the side characters though, but overall it's an incredible movie probably 9/10 on my scale.

Well hello again marioinblack! You enjoyed Schindler's List so to reward you let's give you another great b&w film in a completely different genre, you get to watch Dr. Strangelove

Updated list:

Inception - Both a modern and on the top 250. I hear it's sort of like Memento? I don't know, I haven't read much on it. The last time modern and top 250 have aligned like this was with The Dark Knight, and I really enjoyed it.

Casablanca
City of God

Fantastic Mr. Fox - Apparently great, but released during a time I wasn't watching movies.

Saw - Apparently now a classic horror film, I never saw it because it just seemed like a vessel for gratuitous violence, but it's one of those films I keep seeing references to, so maybe it's good?

The Curious Case of Benjamin Button - Apparently great, just didn't go see it.

Little Shop of Horrors - My wife recommended this, but the last time she recommended a movie we watched Wet Hot American Summer because she watched it drunk in college once and thought it was great. It was not.

Probably the last for me, thanks for giving me a few good movies

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bodnoirbabe
Apr 30, 2007

Kassoon posted:

Inception - Both a modern and on the top 250. I hear it's sort of like Memento? I don't know, I haven't read much on it. The last time modern and top 250 have aligned like this was with The Dark Knight, and I really enjoyed it.

Since this is the last movie you're going to be doing in this thread, might as well leave with a top notch one. Enjoy, and even though you're not going to do more movies, please come back and tell us what you thought.

So, I just finished Rocky and I think it was really cute. Not the normal thing you hear someone describe Rocky as, right? But really it was. Rocky was an adorable, dumb dog. The kind that knocks over poo poo while he's bounding into your lap to lick your face. The story was simple and Stallone did very well in it. I liked the movie and can see why it's popular, although I think being female, I don't regard it as the end all be all of sports movies like guys would. Great underdog story.

Anyhow, here's my updated list:

1. The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly - I'm not a huge western fan, but I HAVE tried to watch this. I always fall asleep in the first half hour

2. The Usual Suspects. I've never seen this movie, but I do know how it ends, and since it's one of those that the ending is a surprise, I feel that watching the movie would be moot.

3. A Streetcar Named Desire. I hear it's one of Brando's most inspiring roles. Also, I am retarded.

4. The Pianist. I don't get enough Adrien Brody as it stands, I suppose I should watch one of his finest performances.

5. City of God. I know very very little about this movie, but everyone keeps getting it recommended to them, so I'm going to add it.

6. Apocalypse Now. I don't know the difference between this and Redux, so whoever recommends this, make sure you let me know which is the better to watch.

7. Eraserhead. I've seen Twin Peaks and Mullholland Drive, but David Lynch kind of freaks me out, so I've avoided his masterpiece to keep me sane.

8. Grosse Point Blank This movie I've tried to watch, but always got distracted. I have a feeling it's going to be hard to keep concentrating on, but I want to finish it. Plus, I like John Cussack.

9. City of Lost Children. My husband is partially deaf and I hear this is about deaf people and culture. Suppose I should give it a whirl.

10. Vertigo. I've seen introductory Hitchcock like The Birds and Psycho, but never got into his more mindfuck films. I suppose this would be a good place to start.

Finished movies: Die Hard; Dr. Strangelove.; Chinatown; Citizen Kane; There Will Be Blood; Do The Right Thing; The Graduate; Rocky

Magic Hate Ball posted:

STANDBY: The Color Purple

Just out of curiosity, why is this on standby?

Bodnoirbabe fucked around with this message at 05:26 on Aug 25, 2010

Arkane
Dec 19, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Bodnoirbabe - you have to get through the slow first part, because The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly is one of the best movies ever made.

I watched Hannah and her Sisters and it was drat good. Some films you can tell in the first 5 minutes you're going to love it, and it was definitely true here. The final scene where Woody's character got his proof, a la her pregnancy brought a smile to my face.

Updated List:

It's a Wonderful Life - Tier 10, Mr. Smith Goes to Washington - Tier 10
The Adventures of Robin Hood (1938) - Going to veer off the Capra/Stewart track for a Claude Rains movie I haven't seen.

Singing in the Rain - Tier 9
Dancer in the Dark - I have seen one von Trier movie (Dogville), which I hated. However, I believe this film will be a bit more accessible, so I'll give him another try I suppose. I've also wanted to see this movie for a while, but never had occasion to watch it.

On the Waterfront - Tier 9, A Streetcar Named Desire - Tier 10
East of Eden - I have seen Rebel Without a Cause and fell asleep halfway through Giant with little interest in returning (oh it's "sprawling" alright), but the one film of Mr. Dean's that I haven't seen is East of Eden. Also directed by Elia Kazan. I am eager to see this one.

Aguirre: The Wrath of God - Tier 8, The Elephant Man - Tier 5
I, Claudius - 1970s miniseries - featuring Mr. John Hurt - about the Roman empire. I've heard of the book, but didn't know this was a miniseries. With a 9.3 on IMDB, color me interested.

The Graduate - Tier 9, Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf? - Tier 7
A Man for All Seasons - Also based on a play, this beat Virginia Woolf in nearly every category in the Oscars en route to a near-sweep of its categories. Surely must be good (I think?). This wasn't ever on my RADAR, and I have no clue what it's about outside of characters, but now I'm looking forward to it.

Stand by Me - Tier 7, Hannah and her Sisters - Tier 10
Crimes and Misdemeanors - Woody's direct follow-on to Hannah and her Sisters, another film in the middle of Allen's filmography that I haven't seen.

8 1/2 - Tier 9, Amarcord - Tier 7
Nights of Cabiria - Would like to continue with the Fellini filmography (feel free to recommend an alternate Fellini work!).

Ed Wood - Tier 9, Fear & Loathing in Las Vegas - Tier 7, Shakespeare in Love - Tier 9, Elizabeth - Tier 5
La Haine - Thought I painted myself into a bit of a corner with this string, but wait...La Haine with Vincent Cassell is a movie I've never heard of but has amazingly good reviews. Voila.

Bowling for Columbine - Tier 5
Capturing the Friedmans - I don't know much about this movie, but it frequently ranks amongst top recent documentaries, and has good reviews.

City Lights - Never had any interest in watching this movie, but I gather it's rather brilliant for the times (or any time).

Baktus
Jan 30, 2008
Arkane you will watch Capturing the Friedmans. It is the only movie I have seen on your list. I personally did not like it very much but picking something else would feel like cheating as opposed if I had not seen any than I could just pick random. But I hope you will like it.

I finished watching The bridge on the river Kwai. The premise was kinda different than I expected going in. I was surprised by the lack of combat scenes. By the end of the movie I got a little sense of Catch-22 feel. I don't know if the movie was made to be a serious war movie or rather anti-war movie but for me it had a satire effect. Like Catch-22 it is a character driven story on the absurd situations in war. 8/10

The Gold Rush: I find Charlie Chaplin to be an extremely interesting person. I am pretty well read about him personally but haven't seen his movies.

Sunset Blvd
The Lost Weekend: Sticking with Billy Wilder theme here.

The Third Man:
The Maltese Falcon: This is a genre I definitely need to catch up to and this one is next in line.

High Noon: Has been put on hold many times in favour of other westerns too many times.

M: I have a very vague idea what this movie is about. I know it is directed by Lang.

The Conversation
Dial M for Murder: This is a random pick from Hitchcock movies I have not seen, wich are all but two.

The Hustler: I feel like I'm missing out on the legend of Paul Newman. Hoping to make amends.

Sleuth: Heard of this movie from these forums. It has been recommended pretty often so I'll put my trust in that.

The Treasure of Sierra Madre: This movie just never peaked my interest and always had to suffer defeat in the harsh world of movie picking filled with prejudice. But I'm now very willing to give it a go.

The Bridge on the river Kwai:
On the Waterfront I dare you to make me watch this.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

What the hell, I'll just eat some trash.

Baktus: I dare you. Get up on On the Waterfront. Also, just out of curiosity, why didn't you like Capturing the Friedmans? I was really impressed by it.

M. Hulot's Holiday was exceptionally charming. It's rare you see a comedy shot as well as it. The bit where the two kids are looking out the car window and the beach appears from behind the rushes pretty much sums up being a child during the summer. The slightly "off" look everybody had coupled with their dress and the very formalized way they moved made it feel at times like a Mad Magazine article - like when they cut to that kid and he's burning an umbrella with his magnifying glass. Terrific.

New List:

Trouble in Paradise/ any Lubitsch No excuse.

Shadows No excuse. I loved Woman Under the Influence. Also I love Charles Mingus. So I really don't know what the gently caress's wrong with me.

The Bad and the Beautiful I've been meaning to get into Minnelli.

Odd Man Out Sitting on my DVR. Give me an excuse.

Ugetsu Monogatari I don't know, someone make me watch this.

L'Atlante I really liked Zero De Conduite until it got going, then I hated it. But what the hell?

All That Heaven Allows No excuse

Late Spring Love that Ozu

Anticipation of the Night I respect Brakhage more than I enjoy his work, but I feel like I should definitely get this one under my belt.

Blow Up Again, no excuse.

Finished from this thread: Au Hasard Balthazar, In the Mood for Love, La Dolce Vita, Anatomy of Murder, The Grand Illusion, Ben-Hur, Gone with the Wind, Black Orpheus, the Departed, Midnight Cowboy, The Red Shoes, Harvey, M. Hulot's Holiday

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

penismightier, I like all the movies on your list but none stands out at the moment so I'll go with Trouble in Paradise because it sounds like you haven't seen any Lubitsch and you really should.

Taegukgi was a great war film, one of the best I've seen. Some of the human drama is a little melodramatic but it's also really loving effective and the battle scenes are absolutely brutal.

Updated list:

America, America There's a Cahiers du cinéma top 100 films list out there and I have only this one left, which I would have a hard time making myself watch otherwise. A Kazan film about the American dream that's 3 hours long, that really doesn't sound very interesting but who knows.

Beau Travail I've never seen anything from Claire Denis, this sounds like a good place to start.

Europa '51 Another highly regarded Italian director I'm kind of meh on, but it does have Ingrid Bergman.

Lilja 4-ever I'm under the impression this is very depressing but very good.

The Testament of Dr. Mabuse Let's what trouble he gets into with sound.

Sanxia haoren Apparently this is one of the best films of the last 10 years.

Pelle the Conqueror It's Swedish and won an Oscar, I think it's a sad film.

Fear and Desire I have a fear that this will be as terrible as I've heard, but also a desire to complete Kubrick's features.

The Cove Let's give docs another try.

Pursued Another Western I should see.

For the hell of it, here's what I've seen so far:
Last Tango In Paris 7.5/10 , Lola Montes 8.5/10 , First Blood 8.5/10 , Lolita 8.5/10 , The New World 8.5/10 , The Decalogue 9.5/10 , Neotpravlennoye pismo 10/10 , A Passage to India 8.5/10 , Yi-Yi 8.5/10 , The Last Emperor 7.5/10 , In a Year with 13 Moons 8.5/10 , The Big Red One 8.5/10 , Les Vampires 9.5/10 , Ballad of a Soldier 9.5/10 , Chelsea Girls 7.5/10 , Kin-Dza-Dza 9/10 , My Life as a Dog 8/10 , The Man who Fell to Earth 8/10 , Red Beard 8.5/10 , Satantango 9/10 , Napoleon 10/10 , Faces 9/10 , Godzilla 7/10, Olympia I 9.5/10 II 8.5/10 , Bad Day at Black Rock 9/10, Soy Cuba 9.5/10, Ossessione 8/10, Greed 10/10, Hoop Dreams 9.5/10, The Burmese Harp 9.5/10 , Éloge de l'amour 6.5/10 , Woodstock 7.5/10 , Die Nibelungen Siegfried 9/10 Kriemhild 8.5/10, Ceddo 10/10 , Wrath of Khan - 7/10 , Shoah 9/10 , City of Sadness 8.5/10, Fires on the Plain 9/10 , Berlin Alexanderplatz 9/10 , Heima 6.5/10 , Angels with Dirty Faces 8.5/10 , Juliet of the Spirits 7/10 Kings of the Road 8.5/10 , Farewell My Concubine 7.5/10 , Dodesukaden 10/10 , The Shootist 7/10 , Goodbye Lenin 9.5/10 , La hora de los hornos 9/10 , The Traveling Players 5/10 , Reds 9/10 , Werckmeister Harmonies 9/10 , Five Fingers of Death 8/10 , Dr. Mabuse: The Gambler 9/10 , Ong-bak 7.5/10 , The Devils 8.5/10 , Nostalghia 8/10 , Killer's Kiss 8.5/10 , Koyaanisqatsi 8.5/10 , Taegukgi hwinalrimyeo 9.5/10

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

Bodnoirbabe posted:

Just out of curiosity, why is this on standby?

Standby as in, I've just sent out the Netflix today and it should be here on Wednesday. Same with Moon and The French Connection (which got lost somehow). Gonna see if I can make a triple-movie day and get them all out of the way in one go.

Arkane
Dec 19, 2006

by R. Guyovich
PA you gotta see The Cove. Amazing documentary.

I watched Capturing the Friedmans and this is second best documentary I've seen behind Hoop Dreams, displacing...The Cove. It covers the gamut as far as topics: from mass hysteria to the power of suggestion to police investigative tactics to the breakdown of a family in the face of crisis. But most of all, it brings to mind the importance of "innocent until proven guilty" and how that is sort thrown by the wayside sometimes. Here's my take on the charges in the case: Given the complete lack of physical evidence, they are innocent, because there is PLENTY of 'reasonable doubt.' Definite parallels to the McMartin case which I just read about after watching the movie; the media played an even bigger role in that case.

Updated List:

The Adventures of Robin Hood (1938) - Going to veer off the Capra/Stewart track for a Claude Rains movie I haven't seen.

Dancer in the Dark - I have seen one von Trier movie (Dogville), which I hated. However, I believe this film will be a bit more accessible, so I'll give him another try I suppose. I've also wanted to see this movie for a while, but never had occasion to watch it.

East of Eden - I have seen Rebel Without a Cause and fell asleep halfway through Giant with little interest in returning (oh it's "sprawling" alright), but the one film of Mr. Dean's that I haven't seen is East of Eden. Also directed by Elia Kazan. I am eager to see this one.

I, Claudius - 1970s miniseries - featuring Mr. John Hurt - about the Roman empire. I've heard of the book, but didn't know this was a miniseries. With a 9.3 on IMDB, color me interested.

The Graduate - Tier 9, Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf? - Tier 7
A Man for All Seasons - Also based on a play, this beat Virginia Woolf in nearly every category in the Oscars en route to a near-sweep of its categories. Surely must be good (I think?). This wasn't ever on my RADAR, and I have no clue what it's about outside of characters, but now I'm looking forward to it.

Crimes and Misdemeanors - Woody's direct follow-on to Hannah and her Sisters, another film in the middle of Allen's filmography that I haven't seen.

Nights of Cabiria - Would like to continue with the Fellini filmography (feel free to recommend an alternate Fellini work!).

Ed Wood - Tier 9, Fear & Loathing in Las Vegas - Tier 7, Shakespeare in Love - Tier 9, Elizabeth - Tier 5
La Haine - Thought I painted myself into a bit of a corner with this string, but wait...La Haine with Vincent Cassell is a movie I've never heard of but has amazingly good reviews. Voila.

Bowling for Columbine - Tier 5, Capturing the Friedmans - Tier 10
The Fog of War: Eleven Lessons from the Life of Robert S. McNamara - I try to veer away from documentaries on controversial subjects because I'm very opinionated and it's easy for me to get annoyed with something minor. So I've never seen this, but I do like Errol Morris documentaries and this did beat Capturing the Friedmans for the Oscar.

City Lights - Never had any interest in watching this movie, but I gather it's rather brilliant for the times (or any time).

Chauntecleer
Mar 15, 2006
Rawr!
Arkane, watch A Man For All Seasons. It's the story of Thomas More, so if you don't know anything about his life, the film may not be as easy to follow.

1. La Dolce Vita - I don't know what it's about, but in an episode of the 4400, Meghan Doyle has the movie's poster in her office, so now I want to see it.

2. Seven Samurai - My husband told me that this movie "is a Western, but with Samurai!" It'll be hard to live up to that description, now.

3. Touch of Evil - I love Orson Welles, but have only seen the opening shot of this movie for a film class. No good reason I haven't gotten around to watching the whole thing, but I haven't.

4. Chinatown - In Hot Fuzz, Danny Butterman says "Forget it Nick, it's Sanford!" Now I want to get the reference.

5. Duck Soup - I had a crush on Harpo Marx when I was a little girl, but haven't really seen many of the Marx Brothers' films.

6. Treasure of the Sierra Madre - Always heard this was great, but haven't seen it.

7. Brazil - I like other Terry Gilliam films. My husband has had the DVD sitting out for several months so that he can make me watch this, but it hasn't happened yet.

8. Shop Around the Corner - I love Jimmy Stewart, and have no good reason for not having seen this movie yet.

9. A Few Good Men - Everyone in law school says you have to watch this movie if you want to be a lawyer, but I don't like Tom Cruise so I haven't seen it.

10. Bridge Over th River Kwai - I saw African Queen when I was a little kid, but confused it with this movie (because they both.. um.. have a river?), and at some point in adulthood I realized that I never actually saw Bridge Over the River Kwai.

Rush_shirt
Apr 24, 2007

Chauntecleer, watch Brazil. It's my favorite Gilliam and, in my opinion, critically, his best film (though I have yet to revisit Time Bandits). Make sure you avoid the 'Love Conquers All' edition.

Finally watched Stalker. Gorgeous. Those images are going to last. Loved the pacing, loved the theological slant, loved the allegorical feel of it all. I hope to re-watch it someday. Until then, I have the bonus features to tide me over...

My updated list:
Fanny and Alexander — Determined to watch more Bergman, I've come to this lofty masterpiece. There are probably other Bergman films I'd enjoy more, but I kind of want to see this one the most.

Schindler's List — It's a "great film" I've avoided because I don't want to feel manipulated by Spielberg.

Breathless — I don't know if I'm a Godard person or a Truffaut person. I don't think I'm either, but maybe seeing this will prove me wrong.

The Rules of the Game — While I feel bad for not seeing more Bergman or Fellini, I absolutely must see more Renoir. I don't know anything about this other than it's good.

Any film by Satyajit Ray — FFD raves about this guy and I'm curious about Indian cinema.

North by Northwest — I really want to know why a plane would chase Cary Grant in a corn maze, dammit.

Predator — Someone in the Predators thread told me I needed to see the original in order to truly understand how bad the most recent one is. Is this the one where Arnold tells people to get to the chopper?

Once Upon a Time in the West — More Leone. I hear this has Morricone at his peak, and since I loved the score in his other movies, I kind of want to see it for that reason alone.

Tokyo StoryGood Morning was all right, but I don't think it went anywhere interesting. Ozu is shaping up to be another great director I'll never understand; hopefully this will change things.

Barry Lyndon — Another Kubrick movie I have yet to see. Haven't bothered before because of the length.

Finally watched:
Goodfellas; The Godfather; The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly; Casablanca; The Incredibles; The Godfather, Part II; Aguirre, The Wrath of God, 12 Angry Men; A Clockwork Orange; A Fistful of Dynamite; Persona; Stalker

Still watching Berlin Alexanderplatz with my friend (we're on episode 8 I think?). It's taken a while because we've both been very busy with obligations. I had to reduce my Netflix down to one...

Vertigo Ambrosia
May 26, 2004
Heretic, please.
thegloaming, I have to admit I don't remember much about Rules of the Game besides that it uses deep focus, but it's really good.

Got around to Chinatown, and I completely loved it. I can't put my finger exactly on why at the moment, but it just really works. That, and it's absolutely beautifully shot.

As for my list:

1. Chinatown - No excuse besides general film deprivation. Eraserhead - All I know is that it's David Lynch's first feature and it has a guy with freaky hair and a really disturbing baby.

2. Solaris - The plot sounds really interesting, but I'm wary about the length.

3. Bullitt - I hear this Steve McQueen is a pretty cool guy... (thanks for reminding me about this, toro) Dog Day Afternoon - I almost put Serpico here, but after hearing about the plot, I feel like I really need to see this.

4. Imitation of Life - I was sick the day I had to watch this for class; I loved Written on the Wind, so I should really just watch it already.

5. A Fistful of Dollars - I've only seen two westerns ever, and only one Eastwood movie, so I figure I'd start here.

6. Badlands - I have never seen a Terrence Malick film.

7. North by Northwest - I've seen Rear Window, and I'm not really that into Hitchcock, but he's another director I feel like I need to see more of. Psycho - I've seen probably the first 20 minutes or so, and besides, I've got to (hopefully) redeem myself for North by Northwest.

8. The Player - I've never seen anything Altman, and after my boss at my internship said that it sometimes reminded him of his job, I've begun to feel like I should have seen it.

9. Infernal Affairs - I was interested in The Departed when it came out but never ended up seeing it, and I also feel like I need to see more Chinese film, or at least one that hasn't left me in tears at the end (Crouching Tiger did because it was beautiful, Farewell My Concubine did because it crushes your soul within the first 30 minutes and then keeps going).

10. Let the Right One In - I wanted to see this so bad when it came out, but never got the chance. Apocalypse Now - It's a classic, so of course I should see it, but I really got interested after I read that Coppola said that Aguirre, Wrath of God inspired him while making this.

Sheldrake
Jul 19, 2006

~pettin in the park~

Vertigo Ambrosia posted:

8. The Player - I've never seen anything Altman, and after my boss at my internship said that it sometimes reminded him of his job, I've begun to feel like I should have seen it.

This movie is great, and pretty much my favorite Altman hands down. If you end up liking it, also check out Secret Honor... though that's practically its complete opposite.

Okay, Peaceful Anarchy told me to watch all of the Hiroshi Teshigahara set and, by God, I did.

I watched Pitfall first, and it was probably my favorite of the bunch. The use of sound in the first few minutes is riveting, and the slow progression from ennui to sudden and repeated violence was hypnotic. The sheer amount of mutilation and destruction for such a moot point was disturbing and fascinating.

Face of Another was kind of a let down, as it didn't feel nearly as precise or pointed as Pitfall. It had an interesting idea about trying to create a world without trust and only anonymity, and I will admit I chuckled to myself when I thought about how accurate the points in this film would become if, instead of being applied to the masks, they were applied to the internet. Other than that, though, it had some good visuals, but it just dragged too much at the beginning for me.

Woman in the Dunes, however, was compelling from beginning to end. The way Teshigahara photographed the sand and let the tension between the film's two central protagonists build visually was stunning. It was a very strange hybrid of a horror film and a drama, but it really kept me guessing.

While I had some downtime, I checked a few more off my list:

4 Months, 3 Weeks, 2 Days - It was both extremely uncomfortable and damned fascinating and it somehow still ended far too soon. That's all I've got to say about it, I guess.

Mo' Better Blues - The story itself seems cliched as all get out and the ending makes it even worse, but the music and the casual chemistry Denzel Washington and everyone in the world apparently have makes this a lot more gripping and enjoyable than I'd expected.

The Small Back Room - Disappointing black and white thriller that takes too long to get anywhere interesting. Another miss from Powell and Pressburger for me.

Butterfly - It wasn't hilariously bad, but just kind of a stupid film that tries to be racy and fails miserably. Stacy Keach looks lost, Pia Zadora has no idea what she's doing and Orson Welles is, uh, there.

Here's my updated list:

Sheldrake posted:

1. Empire of Passion - I also bought this at a previous Criterion sale. I love the cover, just haven't gotten around to it yet. I also really liked In The Realm of the Senses, strangely enough.

2. Odd Man Out - I love Carol Reed and James Mason, but the plot description does nothing for me.

3. Abel Gance's Napoleon - I love silent movies and Eg Eggleby and FFD talk this up all the time, but the four hour investment just seems like a lot.

4. Gospel According to St. Matthew - I didn't really care for Salo, and then I really don't care too much about the Bible.

5. Up! - No, not the Pixar movie. The Russ Meyer flick. Beyond the Valley of the Dolls is one of my favorite movies, but Faster Pussycat, Kill! Kill! never did much for me.

6. Cornered - A film noir starring and directed by the same people who made Murder, My Sweet, easily one of my favorite films of all time. I guess I'm worried that it won't live up to my expectations.

7. The Gypsy Moths - Deborah Kerr! Burt Lancaster! I should like this even if the premise sounds stupid, right?

8. Fat City - I've heard some mixed reviews, and I'm far from the world's biggest John Huston fan, but the story sounds pretty interesting.

9. Blood Orgy of the She Devils - It, uh, sounds interesting.

10. Voyage of the Rock Aliens - Yes, I will give you another chance to make me watch a (possibly) terrible Pia Zadora film. I'm just that nice.

Finally Seen: Hiroshima Mon Amour - 8/10, Clockers - 7/10, A Matter of Life & Death - 9/10, Mo' Better Blues - 8/10, Small Back Room - 5/10, 4 Months, 3 Weeks, 2 Days - 8/10, Butterfly - 3/10, Pitfall - 9/10, Woman in the Dunes - 8/10, Face of Another - 7/10

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

ClydeUmney posted:

PeacefulAnarchy, I'm gonna tell you that Fear and Desire really is pretty awful. Kubrick was right to try to hide it. I'm not saying don't watch it, but I am saying that the lower you set expectations, the less you'll find yourself giggling at how shockingly bad it is. Here's what I said about it when I saw it:

Yeah my expectations are really low, but I still want to see it out of curiosity.

Sheldrake posted:

Pitfall - 9/10, Woman in the Dunes - 8/10, Face of Another - 7/10

Pitfall is actually my least favourite of the three because I found the style distracting and it didn't click for me until after it was over. I should probably watch it again. Glad you liked them, now how about putting those Rohmer films on your list.

Sheldrake
Jul 19, 2006

~pettin in the park~

Peaceful Anarchy posted:

Pitfall is actually my least favourite of the three because I found the style distracting and it didn't click for me until after it was over. I should probably watch it again. Glad you liked them, now how about putting those Rohmer films on your list.

Pitfall is apparently most other people's least favorite it, but it grabbed me and didn't let go, as the weird intro just knocked my socks off. But that's a 'to each their own' sort of thing. The Rohmer's will be up there... eventually. Marathoning foreign flicks takes a lot more time than I'd like, and I wanted to jump back into the thread and avoid FFD's dreaded "List of Shame."

tokillthesunflower
Oct 18, 2009

WHAT DID YOUR FATHER TEACH YOU?
Sheldrake, you get Cornered

A Fistful of Dollars was really good. I still prefer The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly, but you can tell that this film is the start of something special. All that (now) classic Leone camera work, Eastwood's scowl, and man, that score.

Oh, and a question I've never really thought to ask: It's called 'The Man With No Name' trilogy, but is it all the same character? Or are they three different guys that just happen to be bad-rear end, taciturn and no-named? Probably a stupid question, but eh.

New List:

The Conformist Just recently found out about this movie, and it has not yet made it up my Netflix.

Sunrise Same as The Conformist

The Rules of the Game Honestly never even heard of this film.

La Dolce Vita Saw 8 1/2, liked it well enough, but haven't gone any further into Fellini's films.

The Gold Rush Continuing my Chaplin journey.

Ordet Excited to watch this after having recently seen The Passion of Joan of Arc.

L'Avventura I've never seen any Antonioni, but I'm finding I really like Italian film from this period.

Andrei Rublev After reading up on this on IMDb, it sounds really interesting.

Ugetsu I've heard about this movie from a few different people, just haven't gotten around to watching it yet.

Jules et Jim I've seen this movie referenced in several movies, but haven't gotten to watching it yet.

Finally watched: Lawrence of Arabia, Annie Hall, Vertigo, Braveheart, Battleship Potemkin, It's a Wonderful Life, Tokyo Story, The Bicycle Thief, Rashomon, Night of the Hunter, La Grande Illusion, City Lights, The Grapes of Wrath, The General, Les Enfants Du Paradis, Dr. Strangelove, The Passion of Joan of Arc, Seven Samurai, Breathless, Apocalypse Now, The 400 Blows, The African Queen, A Fistful of Dollars

tokillthesunflower fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Aug 24, 2010

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

tokillthesunflower posted:

Oh, and a question I've never really thought to ask: It's called 'The Man With No Name' trilogy, but is it all the same character? Or are they three different guys that just happen to be bad-rear end, taciturn and no-named? Probably a stupid question, but eh.

They're different guys. Joe, Manco, Blondie.

Persona IhaveneverseenanIngmarBergmanfilm. :ohdear:

That is a bad one to start with.

tokillthesunflower
Oct 18, 2009

FitFortDanga posted:

They're different guys. Joe, Manco, Blondie.

Good to know.

FitFortDanga posted:

That is a bad one to start with.

And also good to know. I've been following TSPDT's top 1000 thus far, but maybe I'll hold that one back til I've got more Bergman under my belt. What would you recommend to start with?

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

And also good to know. I've been following TSPDT's top 1000 thus far, but maybe I'll hold that one back til I've got more Bergman under my belt. What would you recommend to start with?

Seventh Seal

Voodoofly
Jul 3, 2002

Some days even my lucky rocket ship underpants don't help

FitFortDanga posted:

Seventh Seal

Wild Strawberries would be my other pick for first Bergman. I think some people are put off by the reputation of The Seventh Seal (it is a lot more fun than you might think).

Hellbunny
Dec 24, 2008

I'm not bad, I'm just misunderstood.
Argh, I hate you so much Magic Hate Ball! Dancer in the Dark was soo.... whyyyyyy did she have to diiiiieeeeee!! :cry: I mean yeah, it was pretty obvious but still... gently caress.

It was pretty brilliant but now I wanna shoot myself.

New list:
1 Dead Man (1995) One of my friends (who's an even bigger filmnerd than me) told me to see this. And it sounds awesome!

2 Deer Hunter I'm madly in love with vietnam movies already so why haven't I seen this? Garh, I'm so lazy.

3 Dogville I'm pretty sure I'm gonna hate myself for this but gently caress it, more Trier for me heheh (oh god I'm gonna cry again am I?:(

4 Eraserhead David Lynch flew over my head. Wanna fix that.

5 Jin-Roh - The Wolf BrigadeFirst anime movie on this list. I know almost nothing about this, so I've been hesitant to check it out. You never really know with anime, but I wanna see this.

6 Cinderella Man I Love boxing movies, but this one got away. Dunno why really.

7 Yatterman I wanne see more of Miike, and this one sounds well... completly bonkers.

8 Nightmare Before Christmas A movie that has haunted me since I was a little kid. I wanna get closure!

9 Heat My dad bought this one when we were in Thailand when I was very young, so I considered it a "grown-up" movie until I was like 16. Then the cassette was broken. :(

10 The Prestige Nolan owns, wanna see more Nolan.

Voodoofly posted:

Wild Strawberries would be my other pick for first Bergman. I think some people are put off by the reputation of The Seventh Seal (it is a lot more fun than you might think).
True, and since I am the only one to have posted a new list I get to decide (You guys are too lazy :mad:).

tokillthesunflower, Watch the seventh Seal, it's great and surprisingly funny.

Hellbunny fucked around with this message at 00:49 on Aug 25, 2010

meanmikhail
Oct 26, 2006

The angriest Russian around

Hellbunny posted:

1 Dead Man (1995) One of my friends (who's an even bigger filmnerd than me) told me to see this. And it sounds awesome!

This. I love it, it's about as understated as Johnny Depp ever was, Robert Muller's photography is stunning, and it's my favorite Jarmusch film.

Finally got around to Time Bandits, and I loved it. It has that great energy and sense of visual style Gilliam's best films (Brazil, Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas) have, and the whole cast is wonderful.

Updated List:

1. La Dolce Vita- I haven’t seen enough Fellini

2. Koyaanisqatsi- I own in on video, so watching would be easy, but…

3. Red River- See # 2

4. Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid- I loved the Sting, so now I feel the need to see Newman and Redford’s other movie together. Have it recorded.

5. The Apartment- Billy Wilder is a filmmaker I greatly respect, and I love Jack Lemmon, but I never got around to this. Have it recorded.

6. Prizzi’s Honor- I recorded it, but it was never watched, and now I don't have it anymore. But I'd still like to see it.

7. Broken Blossoms- I liked Intolerance a lot and…appreciated Birth of a Nation. Let’s see some more Griffith!

8. The Last Waltz- It’s the only major Scorsese work I haven’t seen

9. The Kingdom- I've seen Dogville but I'm otherwise inexperienced with von Trier. I have it on video and I've started it, but...

10. Charlie Chaplin’s silent films

Finally seen: The Searchers, Pather Panchali, The Sting, Ran, The Great Dictator, Fitzcarraldo, Badlands, Time Bandits

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

meanmikhail watch Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid, the most enjoyable of those you have listed.

The Cove was very good, bordering on great. It was a bit different than I expected, spending more time on the background, both historical and for the actual filming, than on the dolphin hunt itself but still very informative and convincing. For all the praise, though, it feels a bit underwhelming. I can't quite put my finger on why but even with all the awards it feels like it doesn't really have a chance of achieving the change it advocates.

Updated list:

America, America There's a Cahiers du cinéma top 100 films list out there and I have only this one left, which I would have a hard time making myself watch otherwise. A Kazan film about the American dream that's 3 hours long, that really doesn't sound very interesting but who knows.

Beau Travail I've never seen anything from Claire Denis, this sounds like a good place to start.

Europa '51 Another highly regarded Italian director I'm kind of meh on, but it does have Ingrid Bergman.

Lilja 4-ever I'm under the impression this is very depressing but very good.

The Testament of Dr. Mabuse Let's what trouble he gets into with sound.

Sanxia haoren Apparently this is one of the best films of the last 10 years.

Pelle the Conqueror It's Swedish and won an Oscar, I think it's a sad film.

Fear and Desire I have a fear that this will be as terrible as I've heard, but also a desire to complete Kubrick's features.

Pursued Another Western I should see.

Burma VJ The Cove beat this out for best doc, but I think it might have more potential to impress me.

For the hell of it, here's what I've seen so far:
Last Tango In Paris 7.5/10 , Lola Montes 8.5/10 , First Blood 8.5/10 , Lolita 8.5/10 , The New World 8.5/10 , The Decalogue 9.5/10 , Neotpravlennoye pismo 10/10 , A Passage to India 8.5/10 , Yi-Yi 8.5/10 , The Last Emperor 7.5/10 , In a Year with 13 Moons 8.5/10 , The Big Red One 8.5/10 , Les Vampires 9.5/10 , Ballad of a Soldier 9.5/10 , Chelsea Girls 7.5/10 , Kin-Dza-Dza 9/10 , My Life as a Dog 8/10 , The Man who Fell to Earth 8/10 , Red Beard 8.5/10 , Satantango 9/10 , Napoleon 10/10 , Faces 9/10 , Godzilla 7/10, Olympia I 9.5/10 II 8.5/10 , Bad Day at Black Rock 9/10, Soy Cuba 9.5/10, Ossessione 8/10, Greed 10/10, Hoop Dreams 9.5/10, The Burmese Harp 9.5/10 , Éloge de l'amour 6.5/10 , Woodstock 7.5/10 , Die Nibelungen Siegfried 9/10 Kriemhild 8.5/10, Ceddo 10/10 , Wrath of Khan - 7/10 , Shoah 9/10 , City of Sadness 8.5/10, Fires on the Plain 9/10 , Berlin Alexanderplatz 9/10 , Heima 6.5/10 , Angels with Dirty Faces 8.5/10 , Juliet of the Spirits 7/10 Kings of the Road 8.5/10 , Farewell My Concubine 7.5/10 , Dodesukaden 10/10 , The Shootist 7/10 , Goodbye Lenin 9.5/10 , La hora de los hornos 9/10 , The Traveling Players 5/10 , Reds 9/10 , Werckmeister Harmonies 9/10 , Five Fingers of Death 8/10 , Dr. Mabuse: The Gambler 9/10 , Ong-bak 7.5/10 , The Devils 8.5/10 , Nostalghia 8/10 , Killer's Kiss 8.5/10 , Koyaanisqatsi 8.5/10 , Taegukgi hwinalrimyeo 9.5/10 , The Cove 9/10

Bodnoirbabe
Apr 30, 2007

Peaceful Anarchy posted:

I have not heard of, much less seen any of the movies on your list, so I'll just go with the first one on there. I hope you enjoy it despite your own reservations.

Just finished The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly. It was a good film, and I'm glad I finally stayed awake to see it get interesting. Clint Eastwood is so debonair in that movie, and I found Tuco hilarious. I actually started feeling pretty bad at the end for Tuco, greedy little weasel that he was. Anyhow, it's not something that I'd stick around to watch again, but I enjoyed it.

Updated list:

1. 2001: A Space Odyssey - Another film I've fallen asleep attempting to watch several times. Always right around the space part starts. I've seen the ending, but have no idea how it connects with the movie. The whole thing just seems boring.

2. The Usual Suspects. I've never seen this movie, but I do know how it ends, and since it's one of those that the ending is a surprise, I feel that watching the movie would be moot.

3. A Streetcar Named Desire. I hear it's one of Brando's most inspiring roles. Also, I am retarded.

4. The Pianist. I don't get enough Adrien Brody as it stands, I suppose I should watch one of his finest performances.

5. City of God. I know very very little about this movie, but everyone keeps getting it recommended to them, so I'm going to add it.

6. Apocalypse Now. I don't know the difference between this and Redux, so whoever recommends this, make sure you let me know which is the better to watch.

7. Eraserhead. I've seen Twin Peaks and Mullholland Drive, but David Lynch kind of freaks me out, so I've avoided his masterpiece to keep me sane.

8. Grosse Point Blank This movie I've tried to watch, but always got distracted. I have a feeling it's going to be hard to keep concentrating on, but I want to finish it. Plus, I like John Cussack.

9. City of Lost Children. My husband is partially deaf and I hear this is about deaf people and culture. Suppose I should give it a whirl.

10. Vertigo. I've seen introductory Hitchcock like The Birds and Psycho, but never got into his more mindfuck films. I suppose this would be a good place to start.

Finished movies: Die Hard; Dr. Strangelove.; Chinatown; Citizen Kane; There Will Be Blood; Do The Right Thing; The Graduate; Rocky; The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly

Bodnoirbabe fucked around with this message at 05:25 on Aug 25, 2010

Atheistdeals.com
Aug 2, 2004

Bodnoirbabe watch Apocalypse Now, I think the theatrical cut is better than Redux so go with that.

I have a lot of old classics in my Netflix queue so I might as well have people tell me which ones to watch.

1. Seven Samurai-I've seen Yojimbo and Rashomon and enjoyed them both, I'm sure I'll like this as well but I haven't gotten around to watching it due to its length.

2. The Seventh Seal- Never seen any Bergman and I know nothing about his work.

3. 8 1/2-I know nothing about this except that it is highly regarded.

4. On the Waterfront- The only movies I can remember watching with Marlon Brando in them are The Godfather and Apocalypse Now. I'd like to see his acclaimed earlier work at some point.

5. Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind- Might as well throw a modern movie up here.

6. The Trial- I haven't seen Citizen Kane either, I'll put that on this list after watching one or two that are on instant watch.

7. Barton Fink- I've seen a few Coen movies (Fargo, No Country, The Big Lebowski, maybe one or two others that I can't remember) and loved them all.

8. Cool Hand Luke- I've seen part of it on TV at some point but I don't remember anything about it.

9. Moon- Another modern movie that I've seen praised constantly.

10. The Thin Blue Line- I love good documentaries so I guess this will be the documentary number.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

Hellbunny posted:

Argh, I hate you so much Magic Hate Ball! Dancer in the Dark was soo.... whyyyyyy did she have to diiiiieeeeee!! :cry: I mean yeah, it was pretty obvious but still... gently caress.

This was the reaction I'd hoped for. :v:

tokillthesunflower
Oct 18, 2009

Atheistdeals.com posted:

2. The Seventh Seal- Never seen any Bergman and I know nothing about his work.

I almost gave you The Trial, but I'm not sure that it's the best intro to Welles if you've never seen anything of his. But I just finished watching The Seventh Seal and enjoyed it immensely, and apparently it's a good place to start with Bergman.

The Seventh Seal was incredible. Everything was beautiful, right down to the costuming. What struck me the most was that the composition of every shot was striking and gorgeous to look at. The story was engaging and the theme is one I've always responded to rather strongly. There's way too much to praise about this film for one post, so I'll just leave it at that.

New List:

The Conformist Just recently found out about this movie, and it has not yet made it up my Netflix.

Sunrise Same as The Conformist

La Dolce Vita Saw 8 1/2, liked it well enough, but haven't gone any further into Fellini's films.

The Gold Rush Continuing my Chaplin journey.

Ordet Excited to watch this after having recently seen The Passion of Joan of Arc.

L'Avventura I've never seen any Antonioni, but I'm finding I really like Italian film from this period.

Andrei Rublev After reading up on this on IMDb, it sounds really interesting.

Ugetsu I've heard about this movie from a few different people, just haven't gotten around to watching it yet.

Jules et Jim I've seen this movie referenced in several movies, but haven't gotten to watching it yet.

Finally watched: Lawrence of Arabia, Annie Hall, Vertigo, Braveheart, Battleship Potemkin, It's a Wonderful Life, Tokyo Story, The Bicycle Thief, Rashomon, Night of the Hunter, La Grande Illusion, City Lights, The Grapes of Wrath, The General, Les Enfants Du Paradis, Dr. Strangelove, The Passion of Joan of Arc, Seven Samurai, Breathless, Apocalypse Now, The 400 Blows, The African Queen, A Fistful of Dollars, The Seventh Seal

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

I've been curious about this one for awhile, so you get to be my guinea pig

High and Low Took me awhile to get around to it, probably FFD's gentle prodding got me off my rear end. I enjoyed it alot, but the shift in focus from Toshiro Mifune's character to the police procedural was odd. But I've always had a soft spot for procedurals. They give you a much clearer picture of what being a cop might actually be like, instead of most movies where police work mostly consists of shoot-outs and highspeed chases. It did drag a little in the scenes that were just different police giving their reports. Beautifully shot, but not as gripping as some of Kurasawa's other work. I would be interested in see some more of his non-period pieces.

I also watched robocop and Charade, from my list, so there's been some re-arranging.

Brokeback Mountain: Somehow avoided this when it came out, I think I figured my liberal upbringing would have made it a little redundant.
Revanche: Hadn't heard of it until netflix told me I'd love it.
The Last Picture Show: I don't know anything about this movie, something to do with a movie house closing down?
Children of Paradise: I keep confusing this movie with City of lost children, which is dumb. (My confusion, not the movie.)
Metropolitan: No real explanation for not seeing this, the description makes it seem like something I'd enjoy.
Scarface (1932): I gather the DePalma has very little to do with this movie, and I haven't seen any 30's gangster movies in awhile, and almost no pre-code ones I don't think.
The Rules of the Game: I've never seen any Jean Renoir.
Raising ArizonaBetween the Nick Cage thread, excitement for the True Grit remake, and my abiding love for the Coen Brothers (I even liked Intolerable Cruelty and The Lady Killers a little bit) the fact that I haven't seen this early effort from them seems increasingly wrong.
D.O.A. (The classic noir, not any of the movies titled Dead or Alive) Shortly after I moved to the Bay Area, the SF Museum of Modern Art had a giant video art exhibition, one of the displays was three tvs playing this movie with staggered start times so you could see the begining middle and end all at the same time. I watched for a little while and it made me incredibly curious to see the actual film. I don't remember much from the couple minutes I watched so I don't think it'd be spoiled for me.
The Red Shoes I missed an opportunity to see this on the big screen when they remastered the prints last year and have been kicking myself ever since.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Skwirl posted:

The Rules of the Game: I've never seen any Jean Renoir.

I'm not crazy about anything on your list, but this is probably my favorite of them.

Okay, so... my library only has one copy of Insomnia and I'm not jazzed enough about it to keep waiting for it. So for the third (fourth?) time I'm redoing my list, but this time I think I'm going to stick with the concept. I've got a number of checklists on ListsOfBests that I'm almost done with. These are all films I need to complete my obsessive checklisting:

1. The Crying Game ("Jim Emerson's 102 Movies You Must See") - The Dean of Students at my college actually spoiled the big reveal for me soon after it came out. Thanks, whatever your name was. I'm not too interested in the movie, but it's the only one left on this list.

2. The Reckless Moment ("Time Out's Centenary of Cinema") - This is actually on a bunch of lists I'm doing. I like Ophuls, I like noir... should be a winner.

3. The Big Parade ("100films.net's Greatest 100 Films Ever Made") - Another one that appears on several lists.

4. Moonfleet ("John Kobal's Top 100 Movies") - Fritz Lang's Hollywood films are pretty spotty.

5. Yankee Doodle Dandy ("AFI's 100 Years... 100 Movies") - Not a big Cagney fan, although I liked Footlight Parade.

6. Pour la suite du monde ("Chefs-d'oeuvre de Mediafilm") - I don't know anything about this list (the description is in French) or this movie.

7. Mon Oncle d'Amerique ("Chefs-d'oeuvre de Mediafilm") - I like most Resnais.

8. Wuthering Heights ("Filmsite.org's 100 Greatest Films Pt. 1") - I expect it to be watchable at least.

9. The Naked Island ("DVDBeaver's Desert Island DVDs") - The only Shindo I've seen is Onibaba, but I liked it a lot.

10. The Savage Innocents ("DVDBeaver's Desert Island DVDs") - Nicholas Ray is usually good.

Atheistdeals.com
Aug 2, 2004

I almost gave you The Trial, but I'm not sure that it's the best intro to Welles if you've never seen anything of his. But I just finished watching The Seventh Seal and enjoyed it immensely, and apparently it's a good place to start with Bergman.

Well, I have seen The Third Man (don't know if Welles directed it or not) and F for Fake. I don't know if either of those are anything like The Trial, Touch of Evil or Citizen Kane though.

Anyway, I'll watch The Seventh Seal tonight.

von Braun
Oct 30, 2009

Broder Daniel Forever
Metropolis - My first Fritz Lang and my mind was blown away by this excellent film. Watching this made me realize how good silent films can be. I have seen a couple mind you; La Jétee, Körkarlen and La Passion de Jeanne d'Arc and I would put Körkarlen and Jeanne d'Arc on my top 10.
Metropolis was a whole other beast though. The acting and directing was perfect and the story was very good.

FitForDanga: Moonfleet. I just finished Metropolis so you will get to watch this.

1. 400 Blows
I bought this together with Diary of a Country Priest on Criterion but since I had not wanted to see The 400 Blows for as long as Country Priest, I never got around to it. Also, I have never seen French New Wave before.

2. Lolita
On my shelf I have every Kubrick movie which I was going to through chronologically (I have seen Full Metal Jacket, Clockwork Orange and 2001 before), but when I got up to Lolita I just stopped. I have seen bits on TV but it looks so bland... I love Kubrick so I will give it a shot.

3. Hamnstad (Port of Call)
When I heard about Criterion's Eclipse series I was really excited about this since Ingmar Bergman is a person and director I hold in high respect, but I just stopped watching when I got to this. Also after I finish this box I will watch...

4. Jungfrukällan (The Virgin Spring)
No real excuse here.

5. M
We were going to watch it in film class but I was sick that day so I never got around to it.

6. Metropolis
Le samourai
Have been interested in this for quite some time.

7. Rashômon
Yojimbo
A Fistful of Dollars
Never seen any of the "Dollar" movies.

8. Psycho
I really do not have a good excuse here, though I have not seen too many Hitchcock's either except from Vertigo, Rear Window and The Man Who Knew Too Much.

9. Three Colours
Never seen a Kieselowski before but I know I should.

10. Låt Den Rätte Komma In (Let The Right One In)
The Royal Tenenbaums
Bought this on Criterion for cheap on an auction site and it has been sitting left unseen on my shelf ever since. Also, never seen a Wes Andersson.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

von Braun posted:

FitForDanga: Moonfleet. I just finished Metropolis so you will get to watch this.

That actually works out nicely because I have two other Lang movies on deck.

zandert33
Sep 20, 2002

von Braun- You get to continue the Fritz Lang love with one of my all time favorite movies "M"

I watched The Searchers, and honestly it really didn't click for me. I love Leone's movies, and maybe I was hoping for something closer to that. I understand that John Wayne is not supposed to be a "good" guy, but even so I just didn't care for his character. The movie was absolutely beautiful to look at though. I modified my list to add Stagecoach, which I feel like I should at least watch, though I really don't want to watch it just yet.

quote:

My updated list:

1. Stagecoach (please don't pick yet)

2. Any Fellini movie:
I started watching 8 1/2 once, but then got distracted and didn't get back to it. I haven't seen anything else he's made.

3. Fanny and Alexander:
I really enjoyed Scenes from a Marriage, so am up for more

4. Schindler's List:
Another movie I've meant to see, but just never have.

5. Any Chaplin movies:
I'm game for any, but just never saw any

6. To Kill a Mockingbird:
Honestly I don't know much about it other then that it's a movie that exists and is supposed to be good

7. The Elephant Man:
It's Karl Pilkington, which is enough reason for me to check it out sometime

Already watched: Jaws, Scenes From a Marriage, The Searchers

Arturo Ui
Apr 14, 2005

Forums Bosch Expert
Oops..ok...Zandert, watch Fanny and Alexander. I've only managed to see the shorter version; FFD says the long version is superior and I'd believe him about that.

Stalker was an interesting film, though I can't say I enjoyed watching it too much. The sepia photography during the "real world" scenes was very nice to look at, and the question of whether there was anything special about the Zone or if the Stalker invented it to give some meaning to his existence, was an interesting one, though it seems like it was definitively answered in the final scene. I thought most of the scenes within the Zone, though, were undeniably dull.

My list:

1. City Lights Blazing Saddles - never really loved Mel Brooks but this one seems popular
2. Cinema paradiso - don't know anything about it other than it's rated quite high on IMDB
3. All About Eve - It's on every best-of list.
4. Rebecca - one of the major Hitch films I haven't seen
5. Sunrise: A Song of Two Humans - I have no idea what this is about, but it sounds intriguingly abstract.
6. It Happened One Night - i would like to see some early Capra.
7. The Best Years of Our Lives - this seems like an unusually dark film for its time period, so that interests me
8. The Grapes of Wrath Stalker Days of Heaven - Badlands is one of my favorite movies. Why not?
9. Viridiana - I have not really enjoyed any Bunuel film i've seen but i'll keep trying him, as a fan of surrealism in general.
10. Le Samourai - has supposedly influenced a lot of movies i enjoy.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

Alright, took awhile for Netflix to get it to me but I just finished The Warriors and it was pretty drat good. I felt like the dialogue could've been a bit more polished but I loved the world they created there. It was definitely as good as I hoped it would be. 8/10

As well, I wound up watching The Wild Bunch on my own so I guess I can cross that off my list as well. I really didn't like the first half hour or so, it had some odd edits and I wasn't feeling it but it picked up once the plot started moving and it got more streamline. Overall a 7/10.

I liked the method Zogo's been using number the movies by when they entered the list so I'm gonna switch to that.

#1 Eraserhead - I've never seen a David Lynch film before. I've had this one on my hard drive for awhile now and I've always been curious about it.

#2 Apocalypse Now - I started watching it about a year ago. I got about thirty minutes in and got too tired to stay up. Never finished it.

#4 The Maltese Falcon - I like noir and my grandpa told me it was great.

#5 There Will Be Blood - I've heard a lot about it.

#6 Dr. Strangelove - I like Kubrick, haven't gotten around to this one.

#7 Goldfinger - I've never seen a Connery Bond movie and for this I feel terrible. In fact, any of them will do but this is the one I hear the most about.

#8 American History X - Same reason as everything else here.

#9 High Fidelity - This is the movie everybody tells me I'll love and are kind of shocked I haven't seen it.

#12 Barton Fink - I'm a big Coen Brothers fan but still haven't gotten around to this one. I've heard good things.

#13 Chinatown - Don't think I've actually ever seen a Polanski film before.

Finally, Arturo Ui, I'm giving you Blazing Saddles. Brooks is kind of different every film and can often be hit or miss. Blazing Saddles is one I love and is in my opinion his finest hour.

marioinblack
Sep 21, 2007

Number 1 Bullshit

TrixRabbi posted:

#13 Chinatown - Don't think I've actually ever seen a Polanski film before.
Go see this now.

I guess I have to say I really didn't find Dr. Strangelove all that interesting. It had some moments of brilliance, and Sellers is fantastic, but I really found myself disinterested at a lot of points. It really wasn't my kind of movie. I probably went into with too lofty expectations, but maybe Kubrick is just not the director for me.

marioinblack posted:

1. Casablanca
Aliens
The Great Escape - I guess I'll use this to throw movies in more of an action type mold together. Although this movie may be loosely using the term, still don't know why I've never seen it.

2. Citizen Kane
To Kill a Mockingbird - I've seen a few bits but never the entire thing.

3. Rear Window - I haven't seen a Hitchcock movie in a long long time.

4. A Clockwork Orange
Dr. Strangelove
Eraserhead - Never seen a Lynch movie and would be going into this without knowing anything about the plot or actors in it.

5. Goodfellas
Raging Bull - I'll have to put another Scorsese film on here since I enjoyed Goodfellas so much.

6. Godfather Part I
Godfather Part II
On the Waterfront - I guess I've thrown a Brando one out there already, might as well do another.

7. Wall-E
Ratatouille - To continue the Pixar spree.

8. Chinatown
One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest
The Shawshank Redemption
Schindler's List
The Green Mile - Keeping with a 90s trend here.

9. 12 Angry Men
Mr. Smith Goes to Washington - The only James Stewart movie I've seen is It's a Wonderful Life, which I regard highly.

10. Gone With the Wind
Do the Right Thing
Back to the Future
Saving Private Ryan
Apocalypse Now - Keeping with a war theme.

MonkeeKong
May 17, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Go with Raging Bull simply because it's Scorceses third best film after King of Comedy and Goodfellas.

1. Notorious, I've seen my fair share of Hitchcock but haven't seen this one yet. I have no idea why.

2. Andrei Rublev, I'm ashamed to admit that I've only seen two of Tarkovskys movies (Mirror, Solaris) but I've always been a bit scared of the running time of this one. It shouldn't really be a problem since I watched loving Heaven's Gate in one sitting once and this one is probably a whole lot better.

3. La Strada, I have a similar track record with Fellini as with Tarkovsky and this must change. I'm not sure why I haven't seen La Strada yet. Probably because I don't like circuses.

4. Down By Law, the stuff I've seen by Jim Jarmusch so far has been great and I love Tom Waits, I really can't explain why I haven't seen this.

5. Gertrud, I saw The Passion of Joan of Arc and was awed by who beautiful it was. I guess Dreyers religiousness has put me off so far.

6. Salo, want to see this mainly because Michael Haneke mentions it as one of his favorite films of all time. I haven't seen it yet because I'm pretty sure it will make me feel like poo poo.

7. Last Tango In Paris, will probably be my first Bertolucci. Imagining a bloated Marlon Brando naked isn't a very pleasant thought.

8. Satantango, I saw Werckmeister Harmonies and loved it. Satantangos massive running time of seven hours have made me reluctant to see it so far.

9. L'avventura, I have so far loved everything I've seen by Antonioni, but I was hellishly tired when I tried to see this one for the first time so I shut it off and went to sleep after half an hour and then had to return it the day after. Bummer.

10. The Leopard, one of the all time greats. Or so I've been told. I guess the prospect of a three hour long Italian melodrama scares me a bit.

Atheistdeals.com
Aug 2, 2004

MonkeeKong posted:

1. Notorious, I've seen my fair share of Hitchcock but haven't seen this one yet. I have no idea why.

Unfortunately, I haven't seen any of the movies on your list, MonkeeKong. I chose Notorious because it is the first one listed. I wish I had better reasoning, sorry!

I just watched The Seventh Seal and it's definitely a great film and refreshingly different than the movies I usually watch. My favorite scene was the smith confronting his wife and the actor in the forest. I didn't really expect something so funny to happen in this movie. I loved the ending as well.

1. Seven Samurai-I've seen Yojimbo and Rashomon and enjoyed them both, I'm sure I'll like this as well but I haven't gotten around to watching it due to its length.

2. The Seventh Seal
Casablanca-It never entered my mind to seek this out until this year when I got Netflix and started to going through older movies that I missed out on. I probably wouldn't watch this unless someone on the internet told me to. I don't know why I have an irrational aversion to this.

3. 8 1/2-I know nothing about this except that it is highly regarded.

4. On the Waterfront-The only movies I can remember watching with Marlon Brando in them are The Godfather and Apocalypse Now. I'd like to see his acclaimed earlier work at some point.

5. Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind-Might as well throw a modern movie up here.

6. The Trial-I haven't seen Citizen Kane either, I'll put that on this list after watching one or two that are on instant watch.

7. Barton Fink-I've seen a few Coen movies (Fargo, No Country, The Big Lebowski, maybe one or two others that I can't remember) and loved them all.

8. Cool Hand Luke-I've seen part of it on TV at some point but I don't remember anything about it.

9. Moon-Another modern movie that I've seen praised constantly.

10. The Thin Blue Line-I love good documentaries so I guess this will be the documentary number.

Arkane
Dec 19, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Atheistdeals.com posted:

9. Moon-Another modern movie that I've seen praised constantly.

This one is good. And Notorious was a good choice.

I watched A Man for All Seasons and just generally found it to be mediocre, although you gotta admire the guy for sticking to his principles. A lot of exposition, some of which didn't really translate for me from the play to the screen. John Hurt was pretty good here as the Judas-type character, as was whoever played the King. Orson Welles was pretty much unrecognizable, and didn't really stand out either.

Updated List:

The Graduate - Tier 9, Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf? - Tier 7, A Man for All Seasons - Tier 7
The Best Years of Our Lives - Another Best Picture winner I've never seen.

Bowling for Columbine - Tier 5, Capturing the Friedmans - Tier 10
The Fog of War: Eleven Lessons from the Life of Robert S. McNamara - I try to veer away from documentaries on controversial subjects because I'm very opinionated and it's easy for me to get annoyed with something minor. So I've never seen this, but I do like Errol Morris documentaries and this did beat Capturing the Friedmans for the Oscar.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

TrixRabbi posted:

I liked the method Zogo's been using number the movies by when they entered the list so I'm gonna switch to that.

My numbers are what they're currently ranked on the IMDb top 250 list.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Arkane posted:

No alternate required, this is my favorite Fellini.

Moonfleet - A decent adventure tale, dragged down by the lack of a compelling central character. Jon Whiteley as the Dickensian child is pretty much empty as a character, and Stewart Granger just doesn't have seem to have any leading man chops. I wish there'd been more of George Sanders, who's always a delight. The color widescreen photography provides a few striking moments, but more often it's awash in dreary shades of brown. I also found the movie slightly confusing at times, as the relationships between some of the main characters were murky. Overall, it's passable as "brain off" entertainment, but not much more than that. Another disappointment from Lang's later career. Rating: 6

updated list:

1. The Crying Game ("Jim Emerson's 102 Movies You Must See") - The Dean of Students at my college actually spoiled the big reveal for me soon after it came out. Thanks, whatever your name was. I'm not too interested in the movie, but it's the only one left on this list.

2. The Reckless Moment ("Time Out's Centenary of Cinema") - This is actually on a bunch of lists I'm doing. I like Ophuls, I like noir... should be a winner.

3. The Big Parade ("100films.net's Greatest 100 Films Ever Made") - Another one that appears on several lists.

4. Moonfleet
4. Icon of Cool ("DVDBeaver's Desert Island DVDs") - I have no idea. Something Korean.

5. Yankee Doodle Dandy ("AFI's 100 Years... 100 Movies") - Not a big Cagney fan, although I liked Footlight Parade.

6. Pour la suite du monde ("Chefs-d'oeuvre de Mediafilm") - I don't know anything about this list (the description is in French) or this movie.

7. Mon Oncle d'Amerique ("Chefs-d'oeuvre de Mediafilm") - I like most Resnais.

8. Wuthering Heights ("Filmsite.org's 100 Greatest Films Pt. 1") - I expect it to be watchable at least.

9. The Naked Island ("DVDBeaver's Desert Island DVDs") - The only Shindo I've seen is Onibaba, but I liked it a lot.

10. The Savage Innocents ("DVDBeaver's Desert Island DVDs") - Nicholas Ray is usually good.