Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug
V8, Miller Lite, and raw egg. There is balm in Gilead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Erebus
Jul 13, 2001

Okay... Keep your head, Steve boy...

The Tao Jones posted:

Wow, now I'm imagining Ray as Bertie Wooster and Cornelius as Jeeves.

"If I may say, sir, the effect of that medallion with your thong-wear is a trifle... disconcerting."
Well, I bristled a bit at that. If the ladies didn't want to be getting mad rutty with a cat cold rocking a Speedo, then that was their bally loss. "Dash it, Cornelius, this is what I shall wear!"
"Very good, sir."

He kind of already had a Jeeves once, though.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Man I don't even drink and I still want to try those hangover remedies. They have an inexplicable allure.

Dove from Above
Apr 16, 2007

Snowy! Have you thought about psittacosis?

The Tao Jones posted:

Wow, now I'm imagining Ray as Bertie Wooster and Cornelius as Jeeves.

"If I may say, sir, the effect of that medallion with your thong-wear is a trifle... disconcerting."
Well, I bristled a bit at that. If the ladies didn't want to be getting mad rutty with a cat cold rocking a Speedo, then that was their bally loss. "Dash it, Cornelius, this is what I shall wear!"
"Very good, sir."

I think Ray is often supposed to evoke Bertie... just in a more modern and Californian way. He appears to believe in a certain Code of the Smuckleses. I don't think he'd ever be friends with a loser like Gussie Fink-Nottle, though.

Cosmik Slop
Oct 9, 2007

What's a hole doing in my TARDIS?

Interesting point. Committed bachelor-hood (although there is Tina), love of strong drink, no shortage of money, unorthodox decision-making skills... plus Roast Beef makes a pretty good stand-in for Gussie.

(Man, I got to find my Wodehouse books in the garage. "Oofy Prosser". Who else would've thought it?)

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Onstad is asking for donations on twitter! You should donate because this is the best comic on the internet, and the man has a family to support.

if you ain't hip to the tweet : http://twitter.com/achewood

MelvinTheJerk
Jun 4, 2001

I'm still here.
I plan to donate a generous sum this evening after I deposit my paycheck. Well, at least a sum.

say no to bats
Aug 15, 2001
Rumblee tumblee, climin' a hunny tree

dolphins are gay posted:

Onstad is asking for donations on twitter! You should donate because this is the best comic on the internet, and the man has a family to support.

if you ain't hip to the tweet : http://twitter.com/achewood

Will donations make more than 2-3 strips a month happen? If the strips are so slow to get out now due to other projects that create income, it seems like the other projects aren't going so well anymore, or the update schedule has scared off most of the fans except the most devoted which aren't nearly enough to pay the bills anymore.

grilldos
Mar 27, 2004

BUST A LOAF
IN THIS
YEAST CONFECTION
Grimey Drawer
You are taking a very extreme angle and I recommend you stop before this thread devolves into its monthly argument earlier than scheduled.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Grilldos posted:

You are taking a very extreme angle and I recommend you stop before this thread devolves into its monthly argument earlier than scheduled.

He's right though.

If I had the money I'd buy a book rather than donate. That way everyone wins.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

say no to bats posted:

Will donations make more than 2-3 strips a month happen? If the strips are so slow to get out now due to other projects that create income, it seems like the other projects aren't going so well anymore, or the update schedule has scared off most of the fans except the most devoted which aren't nearly enough to pay the bills anymore.

I don't think fans ever get 'scared away' by an update schedule. They might stop coming around as often, but I would bet that most come back.

I'm not trying to sound like a dick, because I really enjoy Achewood and I think Onstead is a fantastic writer, but I think he could use a new production system. I understand he's a dad and puts a lot of work into each comic, it just feels like there isn't much content forthcoming.

Manwithastick
Jul 26, 2010

I too am on the "dont want to be a dick" train

This recent slow down had made me really step away from achewood and look at other comics instead (which isnt too bad as now I read wonderella et al), what was a "Every hour" view is now a "every 5 days" glance

That said I love achewood and will keep supporting it through book purchases which look lovely on my credenza :)

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug

Manwithastick posted:

I too am on the "dont want to be a dick" train

This recent slow down had made me really step away from achewood and look at other comics instead (which isnt too bad as now I read wonderella et al), what was a "Every hour" view is now a "every 5 days" glance

That said I love achewood and will keep supporting it through book purchases which look lovely on my credenza :)

This is why the Internet Gods gave us RSS. I never have to check the site; I just wait for Google Reader to bestow upon me many blessings.

I donated. It felt good. I am a knucklehead since small times :3:

The Action Man
Oct 26, 2004

This is a good movie.

Deathlove posted:

This is why the Internet Gods gave us RSS. I never have to check the site; I just wait for Google Reader to bestow upon me many blessings.

I am a chochacho.

Manwithastick
Jul 26, 2010

Deathlove posted:

I've never understood how RSS works, can you explain it to me :(

say no to bats
Aug 15, 2001
Rumblee tumblee, climin' a hunny tree

Grilldos posted:

I used to subscribe to his assetbar when it was updated regularly, I have since let that lapse since its been updated 2 times in the past month outside of "new comic update" posts.

Seriously, if even the paid content isn't being updated much at all anymore, its not a good thing.

I still want to give him my money but there needs to be stuff worth paying for first.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

Manwithastick posted:

Remember when Windows 98 came out and every media outlet was like "WOW, PUSH TECHNOLOGY WILL BE THE GREATEST, WE JUST PUSH INFORMATION ONTO YOUR SCREEN IT IS SO RAD!!! SURE IT WILL BOG DOWN YOUR 28.8 MODEM TO A STANDSTILL BUT WHO CARES!" and it was a complete and total flop? It's exactly like that, only not a flop

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug

Manwithastick posted:

http://www.commoncraft.com/rss_plain_english

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
Go Here:
http://www.google.com/reader/

Sign up, then paste the url of the website you want to track. It will tell you if it has been updated and when etc...

GigaPeon
Apr 29, 2003

Go, man, go!

Manwithastick posted:

Ray will.

http://achewood.com/index.php?date=07222003

glug
Mar 12, 2004

JON JONES APOLOGIST #1
Ray needs to do some Wesley Willis cover songs and videos.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
I was reading through the subscription fanflow and ran across something that startled me.

Lie Bot is black?!

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

I thought he was Italian. Or at least Johnny Cash thought he was.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
Ah! I remember this.

"PROBABLY ITALIAN" was what Cash thought of "THAT GOD-DAMNED ROBOT".

BitterAvatar
Jun 19, 2004

I do not miss the future
I always assumed he was Italian as well due to the Faux Dago commentary from Chucklebot, but that was probably just based on looks so who knows!

grilldos
Mar 27, 2004

BUST A LOAF
IN THIS
YEAST CONFECTION
Grimey Drawer
There are such thing as black Italians.

palecur
Nov 3, 2002

not too simple and not too kind
Fallen Rib
Those are Sicilians.

McGravin
Aug 25, 2004

Tantum via caeli per ferro incendioque est.

Grilldos posted:

There are such thing as black Italians.
Othello, the Moor of Venice?

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

say no to bats posted:

I used to subscribe to his assetbar when it was updated regularly, I have since let that lapse since its been updated 2 times in the past month outside of "new comic update" posts.

Seriously, if even the paid content isn't being updated much at all anymore, its not a good thing.

I still want to give him my money but there needs to be stuff worth paying for first.

I hear ya. I bought a month of the fanflow in July and it only updated on the first day I had it, and the last day (barring comic posts). It was nice to read the backlog, but there's no way I'm paying for a lack of new content. I really wish there was more new stuff, I love the comic, but with my budget, I can't really justify paying up for nothing.

glug
Mar 12, 2004

JON JONES APOLOGIST #1
Baby due any minute now, so the only money I shot was a preorder of the next book. I'm all over those.

I'd support Onstad for a ton o' chuckles, great reads, and characters I'll keep forever. I'll twit him some ducats when I get another pay check after the baby. See how it all shakes out.

For more information about my life, click here.

Madrox
Jan 31, 2001

Does whatever
a multiple can.

:siren: Neeewwwww Striiiiip! :siren:

Ashenai
Oct 5, 2005

You taught me language;
and my profit on't
Is, I know how to curse.
Confirming the Herodotus quote, it's in one of his lesser known works, Addendum to The Histories (Go Stick A Xiphos Up Your rear end, Persians)

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 15 days!
Having watched "The Third Man" just recently, I can now enjoy this re-enactment with the voice of Orson Welles (played by Teodor) still fresh in my head.

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug
Here's a youtube of Orson Welles to help the rest of the world: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V14PfDDwxlE

Hooray, new strip!

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > Batman's Shameful Secret > BSS Derailed Thread: Spider-Island

It has been 6 weeks and 3 days since T may or may not have put the old homosexual's ten inch cock in his mouth.

Ashenai
Oct 5, 2005

You taught me language;
and my profit on't
Is, I know how to curse.

Happy Hippo posted:

It has been 6 weeks and 3 days since T may or may not have put the old homosexual's ten inch cock in his mouth.

never forget

Fillerbunny
Jul 25, 2002

so confused.

Happy Hippo posted:

I saw the 'Citizen Roomba' as title of the new strip in my email this morning and said to myself

:nyd: OH NO HE DITENT :nyd:

oh yes he did

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005
alt text is great, especially because I love the gently caress out of Citizen Kane and that bugged the poo poo out of me the second it happened in the strip.

palecur
Nov 3, 2002

not too simple and not too kind
Fallen Rib

Sigma-X posted:

alt text is great, especially because I love the gently caress out of Citizen Kane and that bugged the poo poo out of me the second it happened in the strip.

Someone actually liked Citizen Kane? Why? I watched it just for cultural literacy's sake at home one day and was just bored for 3 hours. "An rear end in a top hat lives, is an rear end in a top hat, dies." Please explain what I was missing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > Batman's Shameful Secret > BSS Derailed Thread: Spider-Island

Gomi posted:

Someone actually liked Citizen Kane? Why? I watched it just for cultural literacy's sake at home one day and was just bored for 3 hours. "An rear end in a top hat lives, is an rear end in a top hat, dies." Please explain what I was missing?

A film that appeared like lightning out of a clear blue sky that created many technical and structural devices that are still in common use today.