Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Cross-Section posted:

I think we might now have a reason for Haden Blackman's sudden departure from Lucasarts...

I'm sure some people in this thread will be overjoyed by this, but think about it; TFU II has been proclaimed to be a "Empire Strikes Back" of sorts plot-wise, and since the third sequel's cancellation is taking place so late in TFUII's dev cycle, it's likely we're getting a cliffhanger ending with no foreseeable resolution in the future. Ouch, my canon.

Welp, looks like internal development at Lucasarts has gone to poo poo, thankfully we have competent developers like Bioware and Traveller's Tales to handle thi

:wtc:

That's a very strange stance to take because even if whoever was in charge didn't like TFU it at least was a moneymaker. The first game sold a SHITLOAD (over 5 and a half million) of copies and if 2 sold even half as many it'd be known as a huge success in videogame terms.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
Meh, I'm strugging through some of the lamer aspects of Empire At War a game that should have been in development for another year to include a Z-axis for space battles.

They won't get my sympathy. Thats what you get for mass marketing mediocre clone war themed dreck for Consoles instead of making the obvious good game sequals.

Of course they won't learn if they recover from this like they didn't learn last time.

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009
http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Boba_Fett_and_the_Assassin_Droids

Can someone explain to me what the gently caress.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Jedi Knight Luigi posted:

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Boba_Fett_and_the_Assassin_Droids

Can someone explain to me what the gently caress.

Wow, usually the RPG stuff is quite sane and and logical. This is just odd.

Throb Robinson
Feb 8, 2010

He would enjoy administering the single antidote to Leia. He would enjoy it very much indeed..

muscles like this? posted:

That's a very strange stance to take because even if whoever was in charge didn't like TFU it at least was a moneymaker. The first game sold a SHITLOAD (over 5 and a half million) of copies and if 2 sold even half as many it'd be known as a huge success in videogame terms.

Maybe this new guy is more interested in putting out a game he likes then a Money maker? Or maybe TFU didn't make as much money back as they put into it. I don't know how much it costs to make a game these days.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Forgive me for being late to the "Star Wars name" conversation, but I feel mine is goofy enough that it needs to be shared - Mcner Archi!

I'm picturing someone like Carl from ATHF who has to live next to all the absurd elements of the EU. "Look, pumpkin, if you want to get down and dirty with giant bugs, do it indoors, where I don't have to watch!"

Darth Freddy
Feb 6, 2007

An Emperor's slightest dislike is transmitted to those who serve him, and there it is amplified into rage.
The lack of no Force Unleashed 3 is going to suck, same goes for the awesome as hell Lego themed games. I will not even mention no new tie fighter game as I have been dieing for a honest to go space combat sim for years. Replaying Freespace 3 can only last you so long.

On a new note. All the post about empire at war made me dig out my best of Star Wars PC box since I never did empire at war, and I saw it came with a 14 day trial to Galexeys. Should I even bother playing at this point?

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Darth Freddy posted:

The lack of no Force Unleashed 3 is going to suck, same goes for the awesome as hell Lego themed games. I will not even mention no new tie fighter game as I have been dieing for a honest to go space combat sim for years. Replaying Freespace 3 can only last you so long.

On a new note. All the post about empire at war made me dig out my best of Star Wars PC box since I never did empire at war, and I saw it came with a 14 day trial to Galexeys. Should I even bother playing at this point?

Please edit your post to fix typos and double negatives. My eyes hurt.

Most people will say it's not worth trying Galaxies. I've never tried it, but apparently it went to poo poo some time ago. That being said, if it's free for you to try, by all means give it a shot if you've got the time.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

That Lucasarts news makes it sound like the new guy is axing drat near everything. That seems like an odd business policy, but given the company is part of the Lucas empire, they probably don't need to worry that much about money.

Throb Robinson
Feb 8, 2010

He would enjoy administering the single antidote to Leia. He would enjoy it very much indeed..
Star Wars Galaxies is a poo poo ton of fun to someone who never played the old game.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
If you hate what TFU added to canon, SWG will make your loving head explode.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Mahoshonen posted:

Forgive me for being late to the "Star Wars name" conversation, but I feel mine is goofy enough that it needs to be shared - Mcner Archi!

I'm picturing someone like Carl from ATHF who has to live next to all the absurd elements of the EU. "Look, pumpkin, if you want to get down and dirty with giant bugs, do it indoors, where I don't have to watch!"

Somebody has wrecked my freaking speeder!

Ahem, yeah go for that free trial if it is still valid since you never played the much more awesome version that died some time ago.

Slantedfloors
Apr 29, 2008

Wait, What?

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Like how the Empire cloned General Grevious, but also made the clone a robot.

No, I don't know how that works.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Slantedfloors posted:

Ewoks of love, the Jedi Village of Dathomir a never ending battle of Hoth and Imperials wearing pink uniform pantaloons.

SWG has it all baby.

I was going to say Pet Rancors, but the Creature Handler Profession was awesome.

Slantedfloors
Apr 29, 2008

Wait, What?

Crowetron posted:

That Lucasarts news makes it sound like the new guy is axing drat near everything. That seems like an odd business policy, but given the company is part of the Lucas empire, they probably don't need to worry that much about money.

Liscensed products will no longer be of any concern to us. I have just received word that Lucas has dissolved the third-party developers permanently. The last remnants of the 90's have been swept away.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Slantedfloors posted:

Well, that's easy. It's waaaay cheaper to just build a robot and tell it it's a robo-clone or whatever than actually cloning a robot.

The robot's all "Hey, I look just like this crazy evil dude from the Clone Wars."

and the scientist is just like "Uhh...you're a clone!" and then they change his name to General Greviouus.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Now explain why HK-47 is on Mustafar 2,000 years after KOTOR.

Slantedfloors
Apr 29, 2008

Wait, What?

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Now explain why HK-47 is on Mustafar 2,000 years after KOTOR.

A Space-Wizard did it.

Throb Robinson
Feb 8, 2010

Well he downloaded his mind into a capital ship computer that got covered in magma. The ship was preserved until an earthquake uncovered it. The player does some lovely missions to put him in a new body and gives him a droid army that you have to fight. Then you get the YT-2400 player ship.

:goonsay:

lovely story but I love my YT-2400 in a gay way.

tribbledirigible
Jul 27, 2004
I finally beat the internet. The end boss was hard.

Throb Robinson posted:

Well he downloaded his mind into a capital ship computer that got covered in magma. The ship was preserved until an earthquake uncovered it. The player does some lovely missions to put him in a new body and gives him a droid army that you have to fight. Then you get the YT-2400 player ship.

:goonsay:

lovely story but I love my YT-2400 in a gay way.

I was so disappointed in the video game as the Outrider did not transform the way the toy did. I was all set for it being a big gently caress-off version of the B-Wing.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Wampus42 posted:

I was so disappointed in the video game as the Outrider did not transform the way the toy did. I was all set for it being a big gently caress-off version of the B-Wing.

Post NGE Star Wars Galaxies and dissapointment go hand in hand!

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

It just wouldn't be Star Wars if we didn't also kind of hate it.

hellsy
May 8, 2005
enjoy badger bleeding
I wished some team would mod some recent space-sim game Now is not the time to revisit X-wing alliance I think. It was pretty awesome tho.

Lucas!!!

Azzmo
Jul 2, 2007
STUPID MINORITIES ALWAYS MAKING ME FEEL UNCOMFORTABLE TO BE A WHITE MALE

Crowetron posted:

It just wouldn't be Star Wars if we didn't also kind of hate it.

"He beats me but I love him anyway because he can't control his anger sometimes...that's all."

Did any of you ever play X-Wing vs. Tie Fighter on a network or on the internet? It was great solo but I feel like I probably missed out on the best part.

hellsy
May 8, 2005
enjoy badger bleeding

Azzmo posted:

"He beats me but I love him anyway because he can't control his anger sometimes...that's all."

Did any of you ever play X-Wing vs. Tie Fighter on a network or on the internet? It was great solo but I feel like I probably missed out on the best part.

I also regret never being able to play it online. I reckon most people were tie fighters tho.

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

This hand of mine shines and roars! It's bright cry tells me to grasp victory!

Slantedfloors posted:

Liscensed products will no longer be of any concern to us. I have just received word that Lucas has dissolved the third-party developers permanently. The last remnants of the 90's have been swept away.

But that's impossible! How will lucasarts maintain quality control with out the experienced developers?

randombattle fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Aug 23, 2010

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

hellsy posted:

I wished some team would mod some recent space-sim game Now is not the time to revisit X-wing alliance I think. It was pretty awesome tho.

Lucas!!!

A game like Freespace 2, perhaps?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zSe8CpdIF7U

It's still in a pre-alpha state, and therefore has a good chance of not ever seeing the light of day, but what the mod team has accomplished so far is pretty impressive.

Slantedfloors
Apr 29, 2008

Wait, What?

randombattle posted:

But that's impossible! How will lucasarts maintain quality control with out the experienced developers?

The subsidiary CEO's now have direct control over their intellectual properties. Fear will keep the fans in line. Fear of Yoda Stories 2.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I saw a trailer of the space stuff in the Old Republic MMO and it looked like crap.

Throb Robinson
Feb 8, 2010

It looked like Star Fox 64 the game but your in asteroid chase from AoTC or the Begining of RoTS. Looks pretty but to me at least when I think space in Star Wars I think dogfighting from A New hope and Return of the Jedi.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Has there ever been a source or reason why space in Star Wars got a lot more nebula-esqe anyways?

Or was it just Lucas jizzing over CGI like with the rest of the prequals?

astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga

Cross-Section posted:

A game like Freespace 2, perhaps?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zSe8CpdIF7U

It's still in a pre-alpha state, and therefore has a good chance of not ever seeing the light of day, but what the mod team has accomplished so far is pretty impressive.

That's pretty cool, but now I'm going to be horribly crushed when it never gets finished. :(

Throb Robinson
Feb 8, 2010

SeanBeansShako posted:

Has there ever been a source or reason why space in Star Wars got a lot more nebula-esqe anyways?

Or was it just Lucas jizzing over CGI like with the rest of the prequals?

Probably going to go with the Jizz. But I remember one of the first mods I downloaded for Swg was a mod to get rid off all the nebulas and poo poo just floating around in space. Empty black with stars looks so much better.

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

This hand of mine shines and roars! It's bright cry tells me to grasp victory!

Slantedfloors posted:

The subsidiary CEO's now have direct control over their intellectual properties. Fear will keep the fans in line. Fear of Yoda Stories 2.

I liked yoda stories... It was a fun little play for 5 minutes game.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

Slantedfloors posted:

Licensed products will no longer be of any concern to us. I have just received word that Lucas has dissolved the third-party developers permanently. The last remnants of the 90's have been swept away.

Slantedfloors posted:

I can't be the only one that caught these references. I CAN'T BE!

Doctor Krieger
Apr 8, 2007

...because these corporate bag-munchers owe me $630 for my GODDAMN FLEX ACCOUNT!

Dick Trauma posted:

I can't be the only one that caught these references. I CAN'T BE!

No. But no-one else would have found them that remarkable.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

Ehdee posted:

No. But no-one else would have found them that remarkable.

It seemed like people were responding to them as if they were not silly Tarkin references. V:shobon:V

Fledgling Gulps
Jul 4, 2007

I'll meet you in Meereen,
we'll grub out.

Throb Robinson posted:

Probably going to go with the Jizz. But I remember one of the first mods I downloaded for Swg was a mod to get rid off all the nebulas and poo poo just floating around in space. Empty black with stars looks so much better.

Well Homeworld would disagree but I guess empty space is more star warsy

Traxus IV
Sep 11, 2001

it's our time now
let's get this shit started

Dick Trauma posted:

It seemed like people were responding to them as if they were not silly Tarkin references. V:shobon:V
We are all jaded and bitter Star Wars fans, speaking in references becomes a matter of course after a point. Fluent in six million forms of communication, etc. etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I refuse to acknowledge ANYTHING introduced in SWG as canon. The fact that there are hundreds of Jedi running around major cities in their robes supports that.