Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bojanglesworth
Oct 20, 2006

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:
Look at all these burgers-running me everyday-
I just need some time-some time to get away from-
from all these burgers I can't take it no more

Otacon posted:

I bought my TJ front fenders used for $30, and spent a few hours with a rented angle-grinder to trim away the sheet metal. Are you a DIY, fabrication-friendly Jeeper?

That would be me! I even own an angle grinder. Did you just take the flares off and cut where they used to cover? Any photos?

Edit: New page bonus filthy interior pic:

Bojanglesworth fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Aug 23, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Otacon
Aug 13, 2002

Bojanglesworth posted:

That would be me! I even own an angle grinder. Did you just take the flares off and cut where they used to cover? Any photos?

Edit: New page bonus filthy interior pic:

I have a few pictures: However, there are some differences between your 97+ Cherokee and my 95, most notably that you have to worry about your washer-fluid tank when cutting into your passenger-side front wheel-well.

I stuck the flare onto the body using some duct-tape, and traced underneath it with a Sharpie. I marked and drilled the holes, and widened the ones in the flare before attaching them with nuts and bolts. Not a bad job at all, and even passed NJ inspection :D

economic haircut
Jul 5, 2008
It took a while, but I finally realized that I can buy an entire truck for a fraction of the cost of just the most recent repair on the dodge... New to me Toyota lurking behind the Jeep.

Click here for the full 720x540 image.

Best purchase EVER... I love this thing, It's a rusty heap of fury. Mods so far - 33in Swampers, power steering conversion. Thats it. Next up, welded rear diff, and aussie locker in the front. I'ts much funner to bounce off obstacles rather than just blow up on them

Click here for the full 720x540 image.

A very stuck Jeep.

Bojanglesworth
Oct 20, 2006

Otacon posted:

I have a few pictures: However, there are some differences between your 97+ Cherokee and my 95, most notably that you have to worry about your washer-fluid tank when cutting into your passenger-side front wheel-well.

I stuck the flare onto the body using some duct-tape, and traced underneath it with a Sharpie. I marked and drilled the holes, and widened the ones in the flare before attaching them with nuts and bolts. Not a bad job at all, and even passed NJ inspection :D

Nice, I like it! My fenders are pretty destoryed anyway, I may have to try that out. I think my dad actually has some air powered tin snips that would probably cut that fender like butter.

Salami Surgeon
Jan 21, 2001

Don't close. Don't close.

Nap Ghost

Ozmiander posted:

$600 road ready full size jeep. Awesome.

Welcome to the fullsize Jeep club. Early 80s, 360, TF727? What transfer case?

Gingerbread House Music
Dec 1, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

SNiPER_Magnum posted:

Welcome to the fullsize Jeep club. Early 80s, 360, TF727? What transfer case?

360/727/np229(?)/d44/amc20

It's actually my second one, but i ended up selling it before i even got it dirty.

apatite
Dec 2, 2006

Got yer back, Jack

Some pictures from recent trips:

apatite
Dec 2, 2006

Got yer back, Jack

^^ ouch.

^^ XJ got stuck, then when I started winching him it just sunk my truck to the frame in mud.

^^ 34" tires below my brother's boot tread.. :D

The ground was so wet where the XJ got buried that using a hi-lift without a board or something as a base lead to us just squeezing water out of the dirt

Bojanglesworth
Oct 20, 2006

apatite posted:

^^ ouch.

^^ XJ got stuck, then when I started winching him it just sunk my truck to the frame in mud.

^^ 34" tires below my brother's boot tread.. :D

The ground was so wet where the XJ got buried that using a hi-lift without a board or something as a base lead to us just squeezing water out of the dirt

drat that thing is burly. I like it.

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

And, of course as always, kill Hitler.

Apatite, those pictures are the epitome of why I want to buy a Toyota 4x4 and start wheeling.

Bojanglesworth
Oct 20, 2006

Picked up some matching rims and tires today for dirt cheap. Also ordered fender flares and tail lights that arent held together by packing tape.

Helmacron
Jun 3, 2005

looking down at the world
I'm out of work currently and was going to drive up to the Kosciuscko range today, maybe climb a mountain, maybe drive around in the snow, maybe utilize these chains I found in the garage of the house I'm sharehousing in.

So last night I took out the bung on my 2001 Hilux (tray, extra-cab), took off the oil cap, closed the hood, went inside and slept.

This morning I woke up, bright and early went outside, noticed it must have seriously poured last night. Shrugged. Put back bung, poured oil. Waited. Poured more oil in. Waited. Topped up oil (possibly put a little bit too much, since I haven't got a jug). Waited.

Tried to start my car. The starter turns over, all the lights, the radio comes on. But the engine won't kick in.

So I got out, mused, took some oil out until it's reading just under the line. Waited. Tried again.

I think I broke my car. Anyone have any advice?

apatite
Dec 2, 2006

Got yer back, Jack

Super Aggro Crag posted:

Apatite, those pictures are the epitome of why I want to buy a Toyota 4x4 and start wheeling.

Do it!

Toyota wheeling is cheap wheeling :D

So far I've only got a rebuilt motor, all new and upgraded suspension/steering/brakes (OME leaf springs in front, bilstein shocks all around, new shock mounts/hoops front and rear, trail-gear crossover steering with IFS toyota truck steering box, larger toyota brakes from newer truck, blahblahblah), swapped some new 4.7:1 gears into the transfercase in place of the stock 2.28:1, blew up a locker and a couple of welded third members, now running just a lock-right in the rear, and so on and so on.

oh wait, did I say something about cheap?? :jerkbag:

Clamwacker
Feb 12, 2007

It is now time to rock out with your cock out. BEGIN!
I love the creative sheet metal trimming on the bed. I didn't notice the first few pics showing the cleaner lefthand side, and then I got to one showing the righthand side, and I thought it was very strategically placed rust damage.

apatite
Dec 2, 2006

Got yer back, Jack

Clamwacker posted:

I love the creative sheet metal trimming on the bed. I didn't notice the first few pics showing the cleaner lefthand side, and then I got to one showing the righthand side, and I thought it was very strategically placed rust damage.

Yeah lotsa bodywork to do but I hate it :(

The bed got shortened 11" by cutting the rear portion off, cutting out 11" and then welding the rear section back on. This eliminated a bunch of rust (plus shortened the bed so it doesn't get smashed up as much) and at the same time I welded new metal into the driver's side of the bed over the wheel well to make it so you couldn't see ALL the way through anymore, at least :P :P I still need to do the same on the passenger side, and a whole bunch of other poo poo.

Despite being a California truck the majority of its life, the past 5 years or so of northeast winters have really taken their toll. I've had to replace all but one body-mount on the cab/frame, and also fabricate floorboards for both the driver and passenger sides of the cab. This worked out OK for me because I didn't want to move the front axle forward just yet, but I wanted more room between the tire and firewall for clearance. I basically "tubbed" the firewall at the same time I was replacing the floorboards. Essentially Toyota built this thing so it knwos how to rust in _just_ the right spots which I end up wanting to modify anyway

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

Helmacron posted:

I'm out of work currently and was going to drive up to the Kosciuscko range today, maybe climb a mountain, maybe drive around in the snow, maybe utilize these chains I found in the garage of the house I'm sharehousing in.

So last night I took out the bung on my 2001 Hilux (tray, extra-cab), took off the oil cap, closed the hood, went inside and slept.

This morning I woke up, bright and early went outside, noticed it must have seriously poured last night. Shrugged. Put back bung, poured oil. Waited. Poured more oil in. Waited. Topped up oil (possibly put a little bit too much, since I haven't got a jug). Waited.

Tried to start my car. The starter turns over, all the lights, the radio comes on. But the engine won't kick in.

So I got out, mused, took some oil out until it's reading just under the line. Waited. Tried again.

I think I broke my car. Anyone have any advice?

Petrol or Diesel?

Big K of Justice
Nov 27, 2005

Anyone seen my ball joints?
Off to a two day off road desert adventure tomorrow night. And not enough time to get everything ready :ohdear:

Bumped into a chorus of "But itttts tooo hotttt outttt...".

It's a god drat desert, what do you expect :mad:

There was a bit of thundershowers over in Borrego Springs, so we'll see what the badlands look like this weekend.

incredibull
Sep 7, 2008

GENERIC

apatite posted:

Yeah lotsa bodywork to do but I hate it :(

The bed got shortened 11" by cutting the rear portion off, cutting out 11" and then welding the rear section back on. This eliminated a bunch of rust (plus shortened the bed so it doesn't get smashed up as much) and at the same time I welded new metal into the driver's side of the bed over the wheel well to make it so you couldn't see ALL the way through anymore, at least :P :P I still need to do the same on the passenger side, and a whole bunch of other poo poo.

Despite being a California truck the majority of its life, the past 5 years or so of northeast winters have really taken their toll. I've had to replace all but one body-mount on the cab/frame, and also fabricate floorboards for both the driver and passenger sides of the cab. This worked out OK for me because I didn't want to move the front axle forward just yet, but I wanted more room between the tire and firewall for clearance. I basically "tubbed" the firewall at the same time I was replacing the floorboards. Essentially Toyota built this thing so it knwos how to rust in _just_ the right spots which I end up wanting to modify anyway

I guess there's a pretty good reason that most of these trucks that I see have been bobbed or caged in the rear. That's the perfect candidate for a custom box if you can find someone to do it affordably.

Big K of Justice
Nov 27, 2005

:argh:

I just jeopardized my trip. I did a full service and a coolant flush, and in the process drop and lost one of the crossover brass bleeder screws.

I got a new one being sent to me but it won't get here in time. Using a bolt with a washer for now, it sorta works well enough for local driving with the bolt weeping a few drops a coolant but it won't work for desert driving for 2 days.

:sigh:

Hopefully I can source one before tomorrow.

Big K of Justice
Nov 27, 2005

Ended up pushing the trip back to this labor day weekend.

Where everyone canceled at the last hour, one person had a critical breakdown, and another group didn't get the memo and went out the weekend before. :doh:

Ah well, 2 trucks is enough of a group to party.

This weekends trip was to the area around Ocotillo Wells off road vehicle park which is part of the larger Anza Borrego park near Borrego Springs, CA.

Click here for the full 1664x1133 image.

Day one was mostly on the south side of the park, Going from the ranger station over to Devils Slide, the Shell Reef and a few other points of interest along the way ending at the gas domes then turning south back to the highway.

Day two I remembered to save the GPS trail shown at the top. We were supposed to go run on Truckhaven trail which is on the North Side of S22 but we turned south and wound up going on the Tectonic trail instead. That's marked by the GPS line at the top.

This is the daytime pic of coming into Borrego Springs from Temecula. it's a Twisty 2 lane road with a ton of switch backs. Awesome for motorcyclists, not so awesome for anything bigger than a normal passenger car.

Fuel was cheap on the way there...

Our little convoy..

And it was pretty hot, too hot to camp [90 degrees at night] so we got rooms at the local "resorts".

And it was hot, food melted and shoes came unglued.

We hooked up with a bunch of xj's for a bit but they were running different trails. We the only groups in the whole park. Generally speaking it's too hot in the Summer [100-115] so most of the off road/motorsports crowd won't show up until the cooler months.

Not sure what this is, a memorial or grave marker?

Problem is with half the pictures we took, things were really steep or tricky to do, but when photographed, they don't really that difficult at all.

I gave the kids a ride in the H1, they got a kick out of it. We were airing up here before heading back to the motel.

Probably head back down again in a few weeks and try and re-try some obstacles that I couldn't do on this trip. I'll post some video later if I can get a hold of this crazy hill I tried to do and completely failed to climb, got up to 90% of the way then lost traction :haw:

Just wished I had more time to go explore out there, will have to do that this fall.

Big K of Justice fucked around with this message at 07:40 on Sep 8, 2010

Kill-9
Aug 2, 2004

You've got the cutest little baby face...

Geared Hub posted:

Problem is with half the pictures we took, things were really steep or tricky to do, but when photographed, they don't really that difficult at all.

That always seems to be the case when trying to photograph offroading. You tell them "this was a sphincter puckering run" and it looks like a walk in the park.

Salami Surgeon
Jan 21, 2001

Don't close. Don't close.

Nap Ghost
Why are those XJs running different tires front to rear?

Big K of Justice
Nov 27, 2005

SNiPER_Magnum posted:

Why are those XJs running different tires front to rear?

Hmm taking a closer look, at first I'd say they swapped sets but the tires/rims are slightly different. Pro Comp MT's on the rears of both, and BFG AT-KO's on the front of one, and Toyo AT's on the front of the other.

Either they're running the best set of tires they got mixed and matched, or some how thinking along the lines of using aggressive tires on the rear end where the weight is going up hills and having a/ts on the steers for sands and the whoops.

I know that every time I see cheap off road tires for sale, it's usually 2 of them are good and 1 or 2 of the rest of the set has uneven wear or is cracking.

I know that in short track off road racing, the teams will cut additional grooves into the tires, with deep cuts in the sidewalls to get extra grip on high speed turns in the dirt, and long cuts on the rears for traction for putting down all that power, in which case you'd have the tires with the aggressive sidewall up in the front. But those guys on the track are going 70-90 mph in dirt, not teter tottering across the desert at 5-15 mph.

I'd say its a more of a budget thing. If my truck was a pure dedicated trail rig [these xj's were trailered in behind a motor home] I'd be using take-off's from race-dezert.com classifieds or craigslist and mixing and matching sets off street queen trucks and suv's.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass
Question for off-road enthusiasts about Hi-Lift jacks. I want to keep one in my XJ at all times in case of emergencies or just for jacking up tires. It looks like the standard size is 48", but would I really regret it if I got a 42" one? I'd like to keep it in the car under the rear seat and think the 42" has a better chance at fitting vs. the 48". My car is modestly lifted (31" tires, 2" lift) so the extra height isn't necessary to yank the tires up on normal surfaces. When you're in a pinch off-road do you find the extra lift height is necessary?

Big K of Justice
Nov 27, 2005

mod sassinator posted:

Question for off-road enthusiasts about Hi-Lift jacks. I want to keep one in my XJ at all times in case of emergencies or just for jacking up tires. It looks like the standard size is 48", but would I really regret it if I got a 42" one? I'd like to keep it in the car under the rear seat and think the 42" has a better chance at fitting vs. the 48". My car is modestly lifted (31" tires, 2" lift) so the extra height isn't necessary to yank the tires up on normal surfaces. When you're in a pinch off-road do you find the extra lift height is necessary?

You should be ok, although you should never be lifting a vehicle to the max height of the jack, so keep that in mind. I usually use a strap/hook attachment like the Lift-Mate. I hook the Lift-Mate to the wheel then jack it up a few inches and leave it at that.

Off road, the tricky part is getting a nice level and stable surface, if the soil is too soft then you need to spread the load out using sheets of plywood with the optional support base, or even digging a better jacking point under the vehicle.

You should be fine with a 42" jack I think. If you need extra height you could always jack it up, toss debris/rocks/soil underneath a wheel, then re-jack it up again.

scapulataf
Jul 18, 2007

by Ozmaugh

Geared Hub posted:

Off road, the tricky part is getting a nice level and stable surface, if the soil is too soft then you need to spread the load out using sheets of plywood with the optional support base,

I know its cheap, but plywood fuckin sucks dick.
The added cost of these will pay for itself, trust me.
http://www.dicausa.com/category.php?cat=Outrigger-Pads

Or these: http://www.alturnamats.com/outrigger_pads.php

E: Looks like they're pretty much the same company, but whatever. These things are dope as gently caress.

scapulataf fucked around with this message at 05:42 on Sep 11, 2010

Rogz
Jul 22, 2009

Mr booby head vagina man.
Yes, why use something that does the same job for free. I hate money, here have mine!

Big K of Justice
Nov 27, 2005

Those outrigger things are neat, but even Hi lift sells a platform/holder for like $30. Different market, you won't get many offroaders paying $200+ for a small square of plastic. That's like 2 jacks, or a winch extraction kit, or sand ramps, etc.

Sometimes you have to make do with what you find on the trail or what you have on you at the time.

economic haircut
Jul 5, 2008

.... so thats why everyone converts to crossover/hi-steer in their Toyotas.

Bent it back, but now it gets tweaked if I even look at it funny.

reddeathdrinker
Aug 5, 2003

Scotland the What?

economic haircut posted:

.... so thats why everyone converts to crossover/hi-steer in their Toyotas.

Same problem with Land Rovers - if it isn't the track rod (behind the axle), it's the drag link (in front). Took out the track rod on my Discovery last Saturday in the forest - snapped clean through! Got a spare from a club member, fitted it Sunday morning, and then bent it, just like the Toyota above, towards the end of Sunday afternoon. Borrowed another spare to get me home...

On the bright side, got my rock/tree slider sills fitted at the same time. Got an RTV trial on Sunday, so will get pics up soon...

Colonel K
Jun 29, 2009
Here's my Defender a couple of days after I'd bought it, having only thrown on my MT's from the range rover.

Now it's undergone a few mods, lift, snorkel, winch bumper, breathers, tree sliders.

some flex

Down the line I'll probably go for 4.11's, arbs and 35"s.

bonus shot of my old fourtrak pulling out a friends disco in the snow.

scapulataf
Jul 18, 2007

by Ozmaugh

Rogz posted:

Yes, why use something that does the same job for free. I hate money, here have mine!

Where do you get free plywood from?

Geared Hub posted:

Those outrigger things are neat, but even Hi lift sells a platform/holder for like $30. Different market, you won't get many offroaders paying $200+ for a small square of plastic. That's like 2 jacks, or a winch extraction kit, or sand ramps, etc.

Sometimes you have to make do with what you find on the trail or what you have on you at the time.

Really, they're 200 a piece? Goddam. My boss paid for the ones we got, I had no idea they were that expensive. Our mobile mats were like 1200$ for 8 2X6 mats.
I guess I interpolated incorrectly and assumed that those fuckers would only be like 50-60 bucks or something.

The Royal Nonesuch
Nov 1, 2005

Ferremit posted:

Do you guys get the Pope Water Tractors over there in the states?

You lay your hose out, hook it up to the sprinkler, put the sprinkler on the hose so it uses it as a guide track and turn it on. it slowly trundles along under your truck spraying it!

I've never seen those in the US but my dad has about 8 antique Kees tractor sprinklers, which you can pick up on ebay for $50-100. They're cast iron, weigh a ton and are badass:

If it runs off it's hose track it will pull as far as it can and dig itself the gently caress into the ground until it bottoms out. I call them my dad's Grapes of Wrath Watering System. They put out a lot of pressure, I can see them being great for cleaning an underside.

scapulataf
Jul 18, 2007

by Ozmaugh

The Royal Nonesuch posted:

I've never seen those in the US but my dad has about 8 antique Kees tractor sprinklers, which you can pick up on ebay for $50-100. They're cast iron, weigh a ton and are badass:

If it runs off it's hose track it will pull as far as it can and dig itself the gently caress into the ground until it bottoms out. I call them my dad's Grapes of Wrath Watering System. They put out a lot of pressure, I can see them being great for cleaning an underside.

Holy fuckin poo poo, I want one.

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Stupid drivers always breaking car, Gronk fix car...
I have that same thing, but mine is a bit worn and just leaks too much to really get the speeds to drive through my crabgrass :(

TheFrailNinja
Jun 28, 2008
CAN'T SEE SCHOOL BUS, INSISTS HE'S AN EXCELLENT DRIVER

GET OFF THE ROAD SON

APPARENTLY SUCKS AT POSTING TOO

Going to look at this on Saturday. I've been watching the price come down all summer on craigslist... now I just have to find somebody to buy my Galant.

Bojanglesworth
Oct 20, 2006

TheFrailNinja posted:

Going to look at this on Saturday. I've been watching the price come down all summer on craigslist... now I just have to find somebody to buy my Galant.

That is super clean! Good luck!

Bojanglesworth
Oct 20, 2006

Bojanglesworth posted:

Picked up some matching rims and tires today for dirt cheap. Also ordered fender flares and tail lights that arent held together by packing tape.

Updated photo after paint, fender flares, tailights, basket etc:

Short video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BtmN0OH0hF4

Bojanglesworth fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Sep 30, 2010

TheFrailNinja
Jun 28, 2008
CAN'T SEE SCHOOL BUS, INSISTS HE'S AN EXCELLENT DRIVER

GET OFF THE ROAD SON

APPARENTLY SUCKS AT POSTING TOO
Would you believe it has 176k miles? Seller claims it drives like it has 50k, and I honestly don't care what the odo says if it drives as good as it looks. Every picture of this truck looks perfect, seller claims there's no rust. I'm psyched because my dad had a white '87 just like it many years ago. Only thing that could make it better is a 5-speed trans, but you really can't have everything. Just most things, in this case.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bojanglesworth
Oct 20, 2006

TheFrailNinja posted:

Would you believe it has 176k miles? Seller claims it drives like it has 50k, and I honestly don't care what the odo says if it drives as good as it looks. Every picture of this truck looks perfect, seller claims there's no rust. I'm psyched because my dad had a white '87 just like it many years ago. Only thing that could make it better is a 5-speed trans, but you really can't have everything. Just most things, in this case.

drat, it seriously looks spotless. What is their asking price?