Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

King Plum the Nth posted:

Are there any books of merit that don't focus on human frailty, entropy, cynicism, longing, etc.? I could be way off base but it seems like intelligence is usually equated with a degree of sarcasm or cynicism (at least when people are trying to fake intelligence/insight this is the route they take) and most of what I've read or tried to read -- especially the stuff which could be argued to have "literary merit" -- is kind of a downer. Intellectually stimulating, sure; I’m asking questions and seeking answers and all, but a bummer none the less. I’m open to the possibility that it’s not the books, it’s just me, but I think I can objectively say it is the books to some extent.

I don't want any sappy, saccharin religious or Hallmark type fiction. If at all possible, I'd like to avoid fluff in general. Just wondering if there's a vein of uplifting, or at least less bleak, literature out there. Anyone?

I would strongly recommend Steinbeck's Cannery Row and Thursday Next.

I know, upbeat Steinbeck! Crazy!

You could also try Kerouac's On the Road, maybe Dicken's David Copperfield. Almost anything Mark Twain wrote before his wife died -- Huckleberry Finn, etc. If you don't mind girlier stuff, try Jane Austen; the writing's excellent and everybody gets married at the end.

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Aug 20, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snail Information
May 29, 2010

Snailmancy
I'm considering starting to real some mythical horror stuff... I've no idea where to start, but I was thinking maybe with Lovecraft-

Thing is there's a ton of compilations of his short stories. Which Lovecraft work should I start with?

Mr Darcy
Feb 8, 2006
I'd love to find out more about the myths of various cultures. especially Greek & Norse. But pretty much anything would be of interest.

Can anyone reccomend any decent book/books on the subject?

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Mr Darcy posted:

I'd love to find out more about the myths of various cultures. especially Greek & Norse. But pretty much anything would be of interest.

The Sagas of the Icelanders

Mythology by Edith Hamilton

For Norse mythology it's a bit harder. This might be a good starting place, though it's kid-oriented:

D'auliares book of Norse myths

barkingclam
Jun 20, 2007

Mr Darcy posted:

You could always go with Njal's Saga which is available in a bunch of forms. Penguin Classics has a few books on Norse mythology, but I can't say I've read any of them.

Evfedu
Feb 28, 2007
Finished The Anubis Gates recently, and am wondering if Power's other stuff is worth looking into?

I had some fun with TAG, but I never really disliked the "baddies" and pretty much just felt kinda sad that their time was ending and they had gone a bit off the rails trying to deal with it. I mean, even Horrabin ended up much more pitiable and heart-breaking than moustachio-twirling loathsome Also, probably because it's 20 years old and I'd read Night Watch and seen 12 Monkeys and what-have-you, but the plot felt a bit... predictable for the first few hundred pages.

However, I was really, really impressed that he linked all these historical events with his narrative and used magical fantasy as an explanation, that just blew my hair back. But yeah, what's his best book? Are his protagonists always worryingly competent? Does he ever write characters I could get my teeth into disliking?

rasser
Jul 2, 2003

Sneak Lemming posted:

I'm considering starting to real some mythical horror stuff... I've no idea where to start, but I was thinking maybe with Lovecraft-

Thing is there's a ton of compilations of his short stories. Which Lovecraft work should I start with?

There was a Lovecraft threat some months ago that would answer just this. Try looking back a few pages.

Dazzling Double V
Jul 26, 2007
Better than Rick Santorum's red boxers

Mr Darcy posted:

Snorri's Edda and the Poetic Edda are the primary sources for our modern understanding of Norse mythology. Davidson's Gods and Myths of Northern Europe is a well-regarded text, although I haven't read it myself.

Facial Fracture
Aug 11, 2007

Mr Darcy posted:

This is a pretty good resource for browsing Greek stuff: http://www.library.theoi.com/

Major Greek texts (Iliad, Odyssey, Theogony, plays of Aeschylus & Euripedes, etc.) are available in lots of different translations with many or few notes depending on what you're looking for, so read the original stuff rather than some catch-all. Norton's Classical Lit anthology is cheap and has some cool stuff in it (as well as good intro notes if it's all new to you), but it's mostly excerpts and it's not all mythology.

I recommend Apostolos N. Athanassakis's translation of Hesiod's stuff (mainly for Theogony); the intro and notes go into similarities between Greek/Norse, Greek/Hebrew, even Greek/Japanese myths, which might interest you. Pseudo-Apollodorus's Bibliotheca is later, a bit less popular, but offers more and different versions of the classic myths, and it's a good choice if you don't want to skip ahead to Ovid's Metamorphoses and read the same/similar myths with a Roman spin.

Flaggy
Jul 6, 2007

Grandpa Cthulu needs his napping chair

Grimey Drawer
Reading Karen Miller Empress the first book in the Godspeaker trilogy. I am absolutely loving the first book and want to know any other authors like her. Maybe like this trilogy too.

Bloodbath
Apr 10, 2005

GRIM AND FROSTBITTEN KINGDOMS
I pretty much read fantasy exclusively but I'm currently playing Mass Effect 2 and now I want to try some Sci Fi. Can any one recommend me a bit space adventure novel/series with lots of depth? Something like lotr/asoiaf/robin hobb but in space would be great. :)

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Bloodbath posted:

I pretty much read fantasy exclusively but I'm currently playing Mass Effect 2 and now I want to try some Sci Fi. Can any one recommend me a bit space adventure novel/series with lots of depth? Something like lotr/asoiaf/robin hobb but in space would be great. :)

Check out the "Space Opera" thread.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3149277&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

I've started reading Philip K. Dick and am really enjoying his writing style. I started with VALIS and have since finished Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? and The Man in the High Castle. Does anyone have a good pick for a book of his I should read next, or other authors/books that are similar to Dick's writing style?

Day Man
Jul 30, 2007

Champion of the Sun!

Master of karate and friendship...
for everyone!

The Ninth Layer posted:

I've started reading Philip K. Dick and am really enjoying his writing style. I started with VALIS and have since finished Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? and The Man in the High Castle. Does anyone have a good pick for a book of his I should read next, or other authors/books that are similar to Dick's writing style?

I really liked his A Scanner Darkly.

RowsdowerHotline
Nov 5, 2003
Forum Crackwhore
Can anyone recommend a good book that overviews the life of Nikola Tesla and his work? I'm looking for something that is well written and informative and doesn't go off into "Tesla's doomsday weapon" theories, if you know what I'm talking about.

The other recommendation I would ask for is a good book that focuses on Alexander the Great. His life, accomplishments, etc.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Jack Black
Nov 6, 2007
Alright, a cherries jubilee and that's it.

Wiley360 posted:

Can anyone recommend a good book that overviews the life of Nikola Tesla and his work? I'm looking for something that is well written and informative and doesn't go off into "Tesla's doomsday weapon" theories, if you know what I'm talking about.

Ooooo seconding this!

seglda
Apr 10, 2005
Can someone recommend me a non-fiction book on the paranormal?

Recently, I read Mad Gasser of Mattoon: Dispelling the Hysteria by Scott Maruna and I thought it was pretty good. It's a perfect blend of mystery and reality, I really enjoyed it. I've also recently read The Mothman Prophecies by John Keel.

I'd appreciate any suggestions in the same vein as these books.

endlessmug
Jul 19, 2010
delicious beef - thanks! i'd heard about mann, but never read any. magic mountain it is.

facial fracture - yea, i was big into Kerouac in high-school, read all his stuff. though, i feel like i'm over it now. as for Nabokov, tried Lolita a while back, but couldn't get into it. Camus i've never tried. some have told me to read Jung, but it looks dense. any first recs? and i've never even heard of Simone Weil, but i'll check out that gravity & grace book.

i'm big into mysticism/meditation/shamanism/religion/science/philosophy be it modern or no. i enjoyed "the universe in a single atom" by the dalai lama (fascinated with that guy) and continue to read his stuff. pinchbecks "breaking open the head" made me realize there's a lot out there we don't understand (same with rick strassmans's dmt book and huxley's "doors of perception"). there was this book rational mysticism that was OK, but had some interesting interviews.

ken wilber was interesting, but he seems a bit of a know-it-all and needs to be more open to criticism about his work.

liked karen armstrongs buddha biography and now reading "the case for god" as counter-point to my readings of the new atheists.

i've also been recommended Alan Watts, Carlos Castenada, and Carl Sagans "Dragons of Eden" (loved cosmos),

but yea, right now, no one does it for me like Herman Hesse. just read Demian. phenomenal.

any more recommendations would be awesome guys! thanks for all the help. :D

ShutteredIn
Mar 24, 2005

El Campeon Mundial del Acordeon

endlessmug posted:

but yea, right now, no one does it for me like Herman Hesse. just read Demian. phenomenal.

Have you read Pictor's Metamorphoses? http://www.amazon.com/Pictors-Metamorphoses-Fantasies-Hermann-Hesse/dp/0312422644

It's a collection of his fantasy short stories. Think more fairy tale than Elven maidens with swords. Great stuff.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Wiley360 posted:

The other recommendation I would ask for is a good book that focuses on Alexander the Great. His life, accomplishments, etc.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

The Nature of Alexander by Mary Renault.

delicious beef
Feb 5, 2006

:allears::allears::allears::allears::allears::allears:

The Ninth Layer posted:

Ubik, and Flow My Tears.

kuddles
Jul 16, 2006

Like a fist wrapped in blood...

Wiley360 posted:

Wizard is really good if you're interested in a good biography of Tesla. It's completely chronological so it's really easy to follow. The author clearly did a lot of research to make sure what he was writing about was most likely true, even if it was simply an oft-repeated story about his eccentric behaviour. He even shows how some typical events probably didn't occur the way it's been recounted. The only downside is that it focuses more on the man, including his genius and his flaws, that it doesn't really go into a lot of detail about his inventions, especially the more off-beat ones.

You also might be interested in Empires of Light due to it's subject matter. It's far more pulpy in it's execution, but if you want to read the story of Tesla and Edison's great battle for electricity in the style of a summer pot-boiler, it does a great job of that.

kuddles fucked around with this message at 14:14 on Aug 24, 2010

rasser
Jul 2, 2003
I have a colleague who spent years in Africa and claims that there have been African civilizations with classical metropoli of a million citizen and every bit as magnificent as those in Mesoamerica, Mesopotamia, Asia. And I mean, black sub-Sahran Africa not Carthage, Egypt, Nubia etc.
If this is true (I have no clue!) I would like to read about it. Does ayone know?

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

rasser posted:

I have a colleague who spent years in Africa and claims that there have been African civilizations with classical metropoli of a million citizen and every bit as magnificent as those in Mesoamerica, Mesopotamia, Asia. And I mean, black sub-Sahran Africa not Carthage, Egypt, Nubia etc.
If this is true (I have no clue!) I would like to read about it. Does ayone know?

He's not completely making poo poo up, but he might be overstating a bit. See, e.g., http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chinguetti , http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Zimbabwe . Books on the subject, I'd like to read those too.

RowsdowerHotline
Nov 5, 2003
Forum Crackwhore
Thank you for the help Hieronymous Alloy and Kuddles! I'll definitely be checking those out soon. :)

flavaaDAAAAAVE
Jun 2, 2008
I just finished White Noise by Don Delillo and the part I liked most was the section Airborne Toxic Event. I'd like some recommendations for stories that deal with catastrophic events, preferably man-made, with nonplussed characters running from or fighting said catastrophe. The character's lives need to irreversibly shattered. The larger the better, though not necessarily war even though I'm not ruling that out. Aliens are definitely out though. I'd like it to be relatively short - 300pgs or so max.

inktvis
Dec 11, 2005

What is ridiculous about human beings, Doctor, is actually their total incapacity to be ridiculous.
On the subject of Greek myth, I'm reading Roberto Calasso's The Marriage of Cadmus and Harmony at the moment and it's deceptively casual in tone but staggeringly good. It's kind of a synthesis of disparate shards and scraps of Greek mythology with commentary on the trends and undercurrents running through it. Haven't finished it just yet, but seems like one of the better books I'll have read this year.

kuddles
Jul 16, 2006

Like a fist wrapped in blood...

flavaaDAAAAAVE posted:

I just finished White Noise by Don Delillo and the part I liked most was the section Airborne Toxic Event. I'd like some recommendations for stories that deal with catastrophic events, preferably man-made, with nonplussed characters running from or fighting said catastrophe. The character's lives need to irreversibly shattered. The larger the better, though not necessarily war even though I'm not ruling that out.
I'm not sure if these are what you're looking for because they are pretty mainstream, but I think Blindness, Alas, Babylon, and Lucifer's Hammer fit the bill, although they also are a little longer than you asked for. Specifically, Blindness tells the most original and interesting tale and is probably the least dated. Not that the other books mentioned aren't well-written, but they are more a reflection of their times. Some people who didn't live through the cold war find Alas, Bablyon a little too cheesy for instance.

I can't think of any that have Delillo's writing style, however.

kuddles fucked around with this message at 15:08 on Aug 25, 2010

flavaaDAAAAAVE
Jun 2, 2008
The writing style isn't important to me as long as it's good. Blindness looks cool. Thanks!

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
You could try Camus' The Plague, though it isn't a man-made disaster.

mistermojo
Jul 3, 2004

I'm looking for 'popular history' books. Any subject is fine, but the more unique the better. Some of the books of this type I enjoyed are:

Devil in the White City
The Blue Nile
Fourth Part of the World
King Leopold's Ghost

UnculturedSwine
Jul 7, 2006

inktvis posted:

On the subject of Greek myth, I'm reading Roberto Calasso's The Marriage of Cadmus and Harmony at the moment and it's deceptively casual in tone but staggeringly good. It's kind of a synthesis of disparate shards and scraps of Greek mythology with commentary on the trends and undercurrents running through it. Haven't finished it just yet, but seems like one of the better books I'll have read this year.

Thanks, I've been looking for something like this. Calasso's Literature and the Gods seems interesting as well.

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man

mistermojo posted:

I'm looking for 'popular history' books. Any subject is fine, but the more unique the better.

Barbara Tuchman writes some of the best pop history books, easy to read yet still meaty enough to maintain a high regard among historians. I especially loved A Distant Mirror, focusing on France and England through the time of the Hundred Years War. Dava Stobel is also a terrific writer -- Galileo's Daughter is a biography of the man with a focus on his relationship to his daughter and his social maneuvering in 16th century Italy. I'll also recommend Jessica Warner's Craze: Gin and Debauchery in an Age of Reason, Stephen R. Bown's Scurvy : How a Surgeon, a Mariner, and a Gentleman Solved the Greatest Medical Miracle of the Age of Sail, and David Cordingly's Under the Black Flag: The Romance and the Reality of Life Among the Pirates.

mistermojo
Jul 3, 2004

dokmo posted:

Barbara Tuchman writes some of the best pop history books, easy to read yet still meaty enough to maintain a high regard among historians. I especially loved A Distant Mirror, focusing on France and England through the time of the Hundred Years War. Dava Stobel is also a terrific writer -- Galileo's Daughter is a biography of the man with a focus on his relationship to his daughter and his social maneuvering in 16th century Italy. I'll also recommend Jessica Warner's Craze: Gin and Debauchery in an Age of Reason, Stephen R. Bown's Scurvy : How a Surgeon, a Mariner, and a Gentleman Solved the Greatest Medical Miracle of the Age of Sail, and David Cordingly's Under the Black Flag: The Romance and the Reality of Life Among the Pirates.

Thanks, those all sound exactly what I was looking for!

Nimrod
Sep 20, 2003
I'm looking for some books on Permaculture, sustainable living and counter-culture. Right now i'm reading Permaculture : principles & pathways beyond sustainability by David Holmgren and it's been interesting.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

A Distant Mirror is a fantastic book, I would put that at the top of your list. 14th century Europe is an absolutely unbelievable part of history (the early 20th century will probably be viewed similarly in the future, which is part of the book) and she tells the story very well. Tuchman rules.

Prof_Beatnuts
Jul 29, 2004
I used to be bad but now I'm good
Hi there, just got finished with a couple of books: Jude the obscure, Blood Meridian and American Psycho and now I want to read a truly depressing book, something that makes you feel like poo poo. I've been searching around on Google for a list of depressing books but I either find very feminine stuff, or stuff for children.

I need an adult masculine/gender neutral book that has an excellent story and all kinds of Sad/depressing/upsetting poo poo in it. Thanks in advance.

edit: Is On the beach by Nevil Shute good?

Prof_Beatnuts fucked around with this message at 04:54 on Aug 26, 2010

QVT
Jul 22, 2007

standing at the punch table swallowing punch

Prof_Beatnuts posted:

Hi there, just got finished with a couple of books: Jude the obscure, Blood Meridian and American Psycho and now I want to read a truly depressing book, something that makes you feel like poo poo. I've been searching around on Google for a list of depressing books but I either find very feminine stuff, or stuff for children.

I need an adult masculine/gender neutral book that has an excellent story and all kinds of Sad/depressing/upsetting poo poo in it. Thanks in advance.

Maybe try End of the Affair by Graham Greene. It makes for a good soulcrushing. Could also try Life After God by Coupland, depressing and hopeless, all that.

7 y.o. bitch
Mar 24, 2009

:derp:

Name 7 yob
Age 55 years young
Posts OVER 9000 XD
Title BOOK BARN SUPERSTAR
Motto Might I quote the incomparable Frederick Douglas? To wit: :drum:ONE TWO THREE TIMES TWO TO THE SIX/JONESING FOR YOUR FIX OF THAT LIMP BIZKIT MIX:drum:XD

Prof_Beatnuts posted:

Just finish what you started with Hardy and read the rest of him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Prof_Beatnuts
Jul 29, 2004
I used to be bad but now I'm good

7 y.o. bitch posted:

Just finish what you started with Hardy and read the rest of him.

I looked at Hardy's stuff and The mayor of Casterbridge is the only one that I think is interesting.

*Also, a quick side-note, Barnes and Noble.com likes to spoil the whole plot of books listed in there "Classics" collection.