Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mgant
Nov 26, 2005

Best in the West

madlilnerd posted:

I'm seeing sealion.

Sealion with some Bat-Seal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scary Ned
Mar 16, 2007

very scary

Kali11324 posted:

I'm gonna go ahead and say this is probably not a dog. But we need more pictures to be sure.

Supercondescending
Jul 4, 2007

ok frankies now lets get in formation

Kerfuffle posted:

As I read your post I was kind of laughing because I wonder if they are like dog versions of horoscopes and you end up subconsciously looking for the results in a way to where they fit. :v:

They pretty much are exactly this and I wish they would go away because of it.

Ceridwen
Dec 11, 2004
Of course... If the Jell-O gets moldy, the whole thing should be set aflame.

Superconsndar posted:

They pretty much are exactly this and I wish they would go away because of it.

They really aren't. They are far from perfect, and not something that should be used to test a dog for pit content or determine if it's purebred, but that doesn't mean it's the same as just spitting out random breeds.

The science behind it is actually pretty cool and is still coming along. It is based on he same methods I used for my graduate research. It will never be able to do some of the things people think of when they think about DNA testing, but that doesn't mean it's made up poo poo.

For what it's worth, I would agree that many people either use the tests for the wrong reasons or take the results entirely too seriously. But they do that with many other things as well. It's hardly unique to canine DNA testing.

Harry Lime
Feb 27, 2008

This is Freya, our best guess right now is that she is an Australian Cattle Dog/Dutch Shepard mix.

We picked her up from the no-kill shelter on Monday, she had been there since February. The people at the shelter told us she was 5-6 but in her vet records the vet puts her at 2-3. She has adjusted well so far and is a sweet, quiet dog.

She suffers from a bit of separation anxiety right now so its probably a good thing I am unemployed at the moment and have the time to work with her on that.

The first morning my girlfriend left for work Freya ran up to the window to try and see where she had gone.

She is quite fond of sleeping most of the day.

rivals
Apr 5, 2004

REBIRTH OF HARDCORE PRIDE!
She is very cute. Do you have a crate for her to work on the anxiety problems?

Harry Lime
Feb 27, 2008

rivals posted:

She is very cute. Do you have a crate for her to work on the anxiety problems?

She does have a crate and for the most part she has been fine with it. Today we've been doing our routine to leave up to the point where she starts to take notice and starts following us. She's made a lot of progress in just an afternoon actually. Earlier today she started getting anxious when we put on shoes and now she pretty much non-plussed when we head out the door. We've also made a point of waiting until she calms down when we get back from being away to give her any attention. To keep this from being too off topic her is another picture of her.

Anther
Jun 8, 2008

It eats you, starting with your bottom.

Kali11324 posted:

Seal Dog

I might be a little crazy, but I'm seeing some Basset hound here with the out-turned feet and wrinkly forehead.

shady anachronism
Oct 14, 2006

Where's my goddamned milk?!

snarkcookie posted:

Looking very cattle dog.

Also just because :3

Mmmmmmm, toesssss.

And Kali11324, I have no idea what your pup is, but he's adorable in a dopey way.

I did a double-take when I saw this dog because she made me think of Miss Indy's blue merle Cardigan Corgi, Zeke.

shady anachronism fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Aug 14, 2010

nitrogen
May 21, 2004

Oh, what's a 217°C difference between friends?
Hi my name is Eli. Here I am, doing my impression of :buddy:

My daddy Nitrogen got me about 2 years ago. Here, I'm doing my impression of :smith:. (He's been shaved in this pic. His undercoat was hacked off a lot for summer. Usually it's very thick, almost like a sheep's. It'd be kinky like a sheep if I didn't brush him every day.)

My daddy doesn't know what the hell I am. The folks down at the pound said I was a golden retriever.

I don't think so. I have weird thick woolen undercoat, and very few golden hairs.
I might be some kind of lab. I have purple spots on my tongue, but that doesn't really make me a chowchow.

What kind of dog do ya'll think I am?

nitrogen fucked around with this message at 08:43 on Aug 15, 2010

adventure in the sandbox
Nov 24, 2005

Things change

Harry Lime posted:

It wouldn't surprise me if Freya had Akita in her background. Something about her ears and the shape of her face.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Vanderloo posted:

What kind of dog is this?

Looks identical to my first dog, a Rott/Dob mix.

I miss Ajax. :(

Scary Ned
Mar 16, 2007

very scary

nitrogen posted:

Eli looks like a chow/golden mix to me. In some shots he looks very goldeny, in others he looks very chowy.

nitrogen
May 21, 2004

Oh, what's a 217°C difference between friends?

Scary Ned posted:

Eli looks like a chow/golden mix to me. In some shots he looks very goldeny, in others he looks very chowy.

I bet he looks goldeny in the second photo, where I shaved him and got rid of most of his undercoat in the process, for summer.
That undercoat of his is a real pain in my (and his) rear end.

He DOES have spots on his tongue, but my vet tells me all sorts of dogs do, so *shrug*

Next time I groom him, or partake of a major undercoat removal, I should take a picture of the back yard. It looks like I killed chickens back there.

nitrogen fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Aug 17, 2010

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

Click here for the full 800x600 image.

Nikita has been enjoying the A/C quite a bit lately.

Warbadger fucked around with this message at 13:37 on Aug 18, 2010

sexily
Jul 25, 2001

Oh, is this 1953?

This is Wicket. The shelter said he's a Yorkie, but his underbite says Brussels Griffon to me. He's some kind of Terrier for sure. He's 11 weeks now and 5 pounds.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

nitrogen posted:

He looks like a golden/samoyed mix to me. Chow's possible too.

Gonktastic
Jan 18, 2007

nitrogen posted:

Hi my name is Eli. Here I am, doing my impression of :buddy:

My daddy Nitrogen got me about 2 years ago. Here, I'm doing my impression of :smith:. (He's been shaved in this pic. His undercoat was hacked off a lot for summer. Usually it's very thick, almost like a sheep's. It'd be kinky like a sheep if I didn't brush him every day.)

My daddy doesn't know what the hell I am. The folks down at the pound said I was a golden retriever.

I don't think so. I have weird thick woolen undercoat, and very few golden hairs.
I might be some kind of lab. I have purple spots on my tongue, but that doesn't really make me a chowchow.

I dunno, he looks a lot like our suspected golden/chow mix! Sunny was a pound puppy, and the best dog I ever had. :3: She taught all of our other dogs how to behave nice. She isn't really mean at all! You see, Bear took her sock.

At least you get a good look at her chowchow tongue! Unfortunately this is the only picture I have of her. She also had a very thick, easily-matted coat, as well as a half-curled tail and lots of fluff! The reason I suspect it is cuz that huge smile in the first pic looks JUST like she used to.

Bonus purebred Samoyed for comparison. Eli could be a golden chow-chow samoyed mix. But considering how infrequently you see either of those these days, golden retriever is more likely, imo. There's a lot of very pale gold ones out there.

Kerfuffle
Aug 16, 2007

The sky calls to us~
Gonktastic your dogs are SOOO FLUFFFYY. :3: I want to pet them.

HondaCivet
Oct 16, 2005

And then it falls
And then I fall
And then I know

nitrogen posted:

Hi my name is Eli.

Polar bear x lion

bekpek
Jun 5, 2007
Nuts on the road.
This is Colin, he is a corgi mixed with something but we are not really sure. We have had suggestions of border collie or lab but who knows!

Eyrie
Apr 10, 2009

nitrogen posted:

I bet he looks goldeny in the second photo, where I shaved him and got rid of most of his undercoat in the process, for summer.
That undercoat of his is a real pain in my (and his) rear end.

He DOES have spots on his tongue, but my vet tells me all sorts of dogs do, so *shrug*

Next time I groom him, or partake of a major undercoat removal, I should take a picture of the back yard. It looks like I killed chickens back there.

I hope you didn't shave him to make him cooler for summer. Doesn't work that way with double coated dogs. It might be hard for awhile because his hair is probably wrecked but you could always just take him to the groomer every 6-8 weeks for undercoat removal, instead of shaving him.

tardsteak
Jul 26, 2007

You just gotta keep livin' man, L-I-V-I-N.
This is Porter. We found him abandoned in a parking lot, looking pitiful and scared to death. My wife and I weren't about to leave this little dog to die so we quickly made the decision to keep him. However, we have no idea what kind of dog he is and he is starting to get pretty big!

Porter on June 25, two days after we got him. Vet estimated his age to be around 9 weeks old. Weight: 7 lbs

July 24, looking handsome :) Weight: 18 lbs

Today (August 23). Weight: 27 lbs!

So, two questions: How did a dog crossbreed with a horse and how big is this beast going to get? My best guess is he's a German Shepherd/Pitbull mix but good grief I hope I'm wrong. The weight limit at our apartment is 35 lbs :ohdear:

rivals
Apr 5, 2004

REBIRTH OF HARDCORE PRIDE!
That dog is going to be way more than 35 pounds if he's over 25 at ~16 weeks. His paws look pretty big by that last picture and that's a pretty good indicator of how big they'll get. He's really cute though.

Kerfuffle
Aug 16, 2007

The sky calls to us~
Sweet christ that is an ADORABLE puppy. GSD/Pit is about as good as I could guess too. I'm seriously doubting he'll stay under 35, but I hope it all works out though. :ohdear: Feel free to post updates somewhere!

Pretty Cool Name
Jan 8, 2010

wat

Great Dane / kangaroo mix.

Adorable dog. :)

Pretty Cool Name fucked around with this message at 04:51 on Aug 24, 2010

a life less
Jul 12, 2009

We are healthy only to the extent that our ideas are humane.

I think the math is that at 4 months they're half their adult weight, and at six months they're three-quarters of it.

No idea about the mix though. It's just Awesome Dog.

HondaCivet
Oct 16, 2005

And then it falls
And then I fall
And then I know

He's pure bathorsedog. His fur is so short, I can only imagine how fuzzy it feels. :3:

Build-a-Boar
Feb 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Holy crap what an awesome-looking dog. His paws and ears are telling me he's going to evolve into a pony.

tardsteak
Jul 26, 2007

You just gotta keep livin' man, L-I-V-I-N.
Yeah he's pretty much the best dog ever. He was growing so fast that I don't think he has a clue how big he really is...for instance he'll forget that he can jump up on the couch or bed and will just sit there waiting for you to pick him up.

Still..he hasn't really gotten taller in the last couple of weeks, so I think as long as he doesn't get too tall we should be able to get by the weight limit thing. One of the neighbors has a fat-rear end bulldog that I know weighs more than 35 lbs and he's not having any problems...so as long as Porter doesn't full develop into a horsaroo I think we'll be alright. Even in a worst case scenario I got a friend who lives less than five minutes away who's willing to take him in until we can get into a different place.

PrinnySquadron
Dec 8, 2009

Those are some awesome ears he is sporting.

Meow Cadet
May 2, 2007

friendship is magic
in a pony paradise
don't you judge me

tardsteak posted:

Yeah he's pretty much the best dog ever. He was growing so fast that I don't think he has a clue how big he really is...for instance he'll forget that he can jump up on the couch or bed and will just sit there waiting for you to pick him up.

Still..he hasn't really gotten taller in the last couple of weeks, so I think as long as he doesn't get too tall we should be able to get by the weight limit thing. One of the neighbors has a fat-rear end bulldog that I know weighs more than 35 lbs and he's not having any problems...so as long as Porter doesn't full develop into a horsaroo I think we'll be alright. Even in a worst case scenario I got a friend who lives less than five minutes away who's willing to take him in until we can get into a different place.

Chances are, the 35lb. limit is just a guideline. You should just ask the office what they expect you to do if the puppy *you rescued from certain death* ends up being larger than 35 lbs. If you've been good tenets (or if they have lots of unoccupied apartments/condos/houses), they'll probably say it doesn't really matter.

Harry Lime
Feb 27, 2008

adventure in the sandbox posted:

It wouldn't surprise me if Freya had Akita in her background. Something about her ears and the shape of her face.

I think you're right actually. Wally P just posted his Akita Kodi in the primitive breeds thread and his color patterning is pretty much a match to Freya's.

Kodi

Freya

Her tail seems to support Akita as well. When it's up it always curls to her left.

EVG
Dec 17, 2005

If I Saw It, Here's How It Happened.
What are your best guesses on Danny here?

He's 25 lbs at 2 years old, and was listed by the rescue as a "husky/sheltie mix". At first we thought we agreed with the husky part, but the more we look, the more we see border collie (except for that tail!)

always be closing
Jul 16, 2005
lab x swampfox?

My friend could no longer care for this dog, so I took her in two days ago, shes adjusting great, gets walked by my brother and me 3 times each day, chills around the house, hasnt chewed anything yet. Appears housetraining is complete, id guess the dogs around a year and a half old.

Does the dog look skinny to anyone? He was feeding alpo food when he gave it to me. I plan to pick something else up tonight at the store. Im feeding her one cup in the am and one at night.

Shes a funny pup, flopping around the house and getting scared of the coke ads(with giant human faces) at the bottom of convenience store doors. She has no problem and plays great with the other neighborhood dogs and seems properly socialized. She will be spending all her time in the house, since i have my gamedog in the backyard, although confined to his own run, so this dog will get to enjoy some backyard time occasionally.

Her name is Kaya, I guess thats like Hawaiian islander speak for blue marlin.

a life less
Jul 12, 2009

She looks like a border collie cross to me.

She's nice and trim, but not too skinny. I wouldn't worry about putting too much more weight on her. If her hip bones have a bit of padding on them I wouldn't worry.

always be closing
Jul 16, 2005
yeah, actually after i posted we were playing and she has some nice muscle on her legs and hips. Nice dog Im very happy to help. I hope i can find my stillwater kennels collar for her, should look awesome! Whats the best brush, or way to control her hair? just brush outside with a regular rear end comb?

a life less
Jul 12, 2009

Furminators or shedding rakes are great for shedding season. Otherwise I'd probably just use a slicker brush, but I don't know for sure -- I've always had medium coated dogs.

Vigilante Banana
Jul 28, 2010

Low five! Yaaaaaay
We have three mutts.

This is KC. He's the oldest, a Jack Russel Terrier mixed with something French that I can't even remember. It's similar to a Maltese. He's got the Jack personality, minus the energy (although that's probably because he's getting old. If I remember correctly, he was insane when he was a puppy). He is incredibly stinky. Also the cutest thing in the world right after he's been given a bath, and in the odd moments he feels playful.

From left to right, Lacey and Elliot. We rescued Lacey from the Humane Society. They thought she was part Lab and part Rottweiler when she was a puppy, but she's absolutely tiny (for a medium sized dog). We think she's some sort of Lab/Shepherd from her frame, Chow from the black spots on her tongue and curly tail. She's a total sweetheart, probably just your run-of-the-mill mutt. Elliot is the baby. We rescued him from a shelter, he and his brother had been dumped in an alley behind a grocery store in the middle of the summer. When we got him, he had canine lice and reeked of urine. Now he's a carefree HUGE puppy (a little over two years old now, still with the puppy mindset). They thought he was some sort of St. Bernard mix, but we think he's probably more of an Anatolian Shepherd. Whatever he is, he's really sweet and fairly dumb. My mom used to take him to work with her when she worked at a nursing home, and he was always super gentle with the residents. I wish I had baby pictures, he looked like an oversized Beagle when he was younger.

Here's Lacey by herself:

And Elliot:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation
My Babushka. I have had her for about 4 years now, and she continues to be as stubborn as the day I rescued her. She is my little girl!

Also, my parents bought us the DNA testing kit for Christmas last year after having both of their dogs tested. We got the results back, and she is:
Level 3, Chow Chow
Level 4, Australian Shepherd, Collie, and Great Pyrenees
Level 5, Labrador Retriever, Shetlend Sheepdog, and Yorkshire Terrier...

Huh.