Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

N183CS posted:

My buddy is selling his 01 KTM Duke II locally. I wanted it a year and a half ago when my best friend sold it to him, and I still kinda want it. The engine was rebuilt by a KTM shop in San Jose and had the LC4 crank bearing issue fixed, and the bike is basically mint. Anyone know the major differences (besides the obvious) between the Duke II and the 640 Adventure? I see them selling for a lot less in the same condition. He wants $4500 for it, is this a decent deal or would I be better off buying one down south (I live in AK) and shipping it up? Also it has brand new tires.

Duke II's go for about 4k in good condition up here in Seattle. I think they are cool bikes, some people don't like the looks and I can understand that, I do though. Phenomenally fun bikes. If you are even remotely serious about grabbing one do everything you can to get a test ride on it. That'll tell you all you need to know.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
There have been a few on BARF lately for around 3k. 4500$ seems too high, maybe around the 3500$ mark seems more reasonable. Also, rebuilds make me a little leery, just because I've seen too many idiots try and rebuild bikes and somehow get them running just long enough to get sold and then explode. It sounds like this one was done well, but it just makes me nervous.

Saga
Aug 17, 2009

N183CS posted:

My buddy is selling his 01 KTM Duke II locally. I wanted it a year and a half ago when my best friend sold it to him, and I still kinda want it. The engine was rebuilt by a KTM shop in San Jose and had the LC4 crank bearing issue fixed, and the bike is basically mint. Anyone know the major differences (besides the obvious) between the Duke II and the 640 Adventure? I see them selling for a lot less in the same condition. He wants $4500 for it, is this a decent deal or would I be better off buying one down south (I live in AK) and shipping it up? Also it has brand new tires.

I had a Duke II. The duke =/= a 640 adventure in any way. Suspension travel and damping on the Duke is long road bike, not dirt bike, and it has 17" cast wheels from the factory, not spoked.

It's for track days and twisty roads, although it will pull 100 with you flat on the tank and you can do distance on it. It also needs quite a bit of commitment to ride fast compared with a sports bike - with the c of go where it is and the lightness of it, you need to load the appropriate end of the bike dirt-style to make it grip. But it's not really an SM - it's happier with you leaning off and the pegs scraping than with foot out - which is good, because it is 150kg, which is a lot to prop up with a leg at 60mph. That said, basically the harder you ride it, the better it feels. If you go completely brain out on the road or take it to a dry track day, it will make your jaw drop. While you're outbraking liter bikes and mashing the pegs into the tarmac. The downside to this is that if you don't want to ride hard, it tends not to make life easy for you - the gearing's not great for low speeds, power band is typical big single, and without committing to one end or the other it tends to either spin up or walk at the front if it's cold or wet.

Build and materials quality really isn't that great on the Duke either. I won't go into it but mine wasn't impressive in any way, and was a PITA to work on. That loving exhaust system.

Can't really speak to the 640 adventure - people who like their overland bikes love them, I know that. But it's not a SM. I bet it's a good fire-road bike if you happen to have hundreds of miles of dirt to ride.

As far as buying a Duke II, my impression is that the current 690s are far better put together with better materials - personally, I'd be more tempted by an early 690SM with a spare set of dirt wheels.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Saga posted:

That said, basically the harder you ride it, the better it feels. If you go completely brain out on the road or take it to a dry track day, it will make your jaw drop. While you're outbraking liter bikes and mashing the pegs into the tarmac. The downside to this is that if you don't want to ride hard, it tends not to make life easy for you - the gearing's not great for low speeds, power band is typical big single, and without committing to one end or the other it tends to either spin up or walk at the front if it's cold or wet.

This describes my experiences with the 690SM to a T. KTMs are generally better the harder you ride them.

AngryGuy
Sep 30, 2008
Are there any short dudes here riding a supermoto?

I was going to buy another SV650 but I'm thinking a DRZ400SM would be more fun since I'm still gonna have my Daytona 675.

I'm a short poo poo though and I'm kinda nervous about sitting on top of a 35 inch seat when my inseam is only about 29 inches. That's about 2.5 inches taller than my D675.

AngryGuy fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Aug 24, 2010

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

AngryGuy posted:

I was going to buy another SV650 but I'm thinking a DRZ400SM would be more fun since I'm still gonna have my Daytona 675.

I'm a short poo poo though and I'm kinda nervous about sitting on top of a 35 inch seat when my inseam is only about 29 inches. That's about 2.5 inches taller than my D675.

If you weigh more than 100lbs, it will compress quite a bit.

Kenny Rogers
Sep 7, 2007

Chapter One:
When I first saw Sparky, he reminded me of my favorite comb. He was missing a lot of teeth.

AngryGuy posted:

36/30 checking in. I rode Bunway's DRZ without an issue, and my Daily Driver is a KLR, which is even taller and heavier.
WildWanderer's SV650 felt loving TINY to me.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

AngryGuy posted:

You'll get used to it quick, and if you do drop it, it doesn't matter because it's a loving supermoto. And I've got a 30 inch inseam, with an additional ~2 inches of seat padding, and the bike is still fine for me.

TylerC 2.0
Jan 22, 2010
Welp after beating the ever living poo poo out of my KLR 250 it's at the shop to replace the float needle. Also getting new street tires instead of the knobbies!!
I'm excited to see how they effect handling I'm going 1 inch wider in the back

needknees
Apr 4, 2006

Oh. My.
Some jackass is trying awfully hard to get me to sell my completely and utterly useless CBR and buy a perfectly practical 690SMC. What should I do :ohdear:

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

needknees posted:

Some jackass is trying awfully hard to get me to sell my completely and utterly useless CBR and buy a perfectly practical 690SMC. What should I do :ohdear:

You should do it so hard.

needknees
Apr 4, 2006

Oh. My.

Spiffness posted:

You should do it so hard.

Oh.

My.

loving.

God.

Went down to the local KTM dealer, found out (already knew this but wanted an excuse to go BS at a shop and ride around for a bit) that they do not carry any KTM street bikes, only dirt stuff. Shot the poo poo with one of the shop guys for awhile, asked if they knew were any used 690smcs were. They didn't know of one :(.

BUT WAIT

There was a guy there picking up a new dirtbike that piped up! Motherfucking 06 625smc with twenty four hundred miles on it. $4k.

SHOULD I DO IT?!?

I can't believe I'm even considering selling my CBR, and then this opportunity pops up. It must be fate :ohdear:

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Yes. Sell the CBR, take the 4k, buy the KTM, and then use the rest of the money to finally BUY A loving TRACKBIKE.

But you already knew I was going to say all that.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Z3n posted:

Yes. Sell the CBR, take the 4k, buy the KTM, and then use the rest of the money to finally BUY A loving TRACKBIKE.

Do exactly this

needknees
Apr 4, 2006

Oh. My.

Z3n posted:

I have no idea what the used market is on stuff like that because there basically isn't a used market in this area since none of the shops carry KTM street bikes. What would something like that be worth? According to the shop guys this guy buys a lot of dirtbikes from them and all of his trades are loving immaculate. This wouldn't be going through the dealer so it's not like they have a direct vested interest in this dude selling a bike. My gut says it's a pretty decent deal but I really have no idea.

...probably riding it this weekend :D

Edit - and probably buying it this weekend :(

needknees fucked around with this message at 02:12 on Aug 25, 2010

Primo Itch
Nov 4, 2006
I confessed a horrible secret for this account!

needknees posted:

More like

needknees posted:

and probably buying it this weekend :fap::devil:

There you go.

:)

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

needknees posted:

I have no idea what the used market is on stuff like that because there basically isn't a used market in this area since none of the shops carry KTM street bikes. What would something like that be worth? According to the shop guys this guy buys a lot of dirtbikes from them and all of his trades are loving immaculate. This wouldn't be going through the dealer so it's not like they have a direct vested interest in this dude selling a bike. My gut says it's a pretty decent deal but I really have no idea.

...probably riding it this weekend :D

Just like a trackbike, or DOT race tires...or anything else.

Just go ride it. You'll see.

Also, you'll never be like "That CBR1000RR that got away it is such a unique bike!"...but you will do that over the only KTM sumo available in your area.

But seriously...just ride it.

That seems a touch high for that bike, but I've also never seen one with only 2400 miles on it. Usually they have at least 5-8k. So...seems like a fair deal.

Z3n fucked around with this message at 03:06 on Aug 25, 2010

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Serious warning: be careful not to loop it on the test ride.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Yeah, I don't know how the 625s are geared but if it's anything like the 690s, it's stupid short in first and wheelies are VERY easy. Be careful.

Although I don't think the 625 has the insane throttle response of the 690, so that makes it somewhat more manageable.

CSi-NA-EJ7
Feb 21, 2007
The 625's are corked too if I remember right. New Akros and fixing the throttle stop will bump it from 30hp to nearly 60.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

CSi-NA-EJ7 posted:

The 625's are corked too if I remember right. New Akros and fixing the throttle stop will bump it from 30hp to nearly 60.

I highly doubt he rode it for 2400 miles corked...but that is worth asking about. Silly KTMs.

needknees
Apr 4, 2006

Oh. My.
gently caress you guys the CBR is up for sale :qq:
Edit again: double gently caress you guys so is the CR250 :qq:

I called my insurance agent, and even though I have about the cheapest rate on (decent) insurance i've seen on a literbike this loving katoom is 110/year cheaper with the same coverages. I don't think they know what I have planned for this thing...

The wheels are turning. It shall be mine :black101:

Edit: What is this "corked" business?

needknees fucked around with this message at 07:38 on Aug 25, 2010

CSi-NA-EJ7
Feb 21, 2007
It came from the factory restricted, possibly for tiered licensing in the UK or cheaper insurance. I'm not quite sure why they did it. Either way stock it has around 30hp. New pipes and getting rid of the throttle stop will do some crazy things to that bike :)

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back

needknees posted:

Edit again: double gently caress you guys so is the CR250 :qq:

Because you're also getting a 450exc?

needknees
Apr 4, 2006

Oh. My.

Zool posted:

Because you're also getting a 450exc?

A newer, slightly nicer CR250 but don't tell anyone I'm getting that instead of a trackbike :ssh:

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

needknees posted:

A newer, slightly nicer CR250 but don't tell anyone I'm getting that instead of a trackbike :ssh:

I've been telling a certain someone that he needs to nut up and buy a track bike for way longer than he's been hassling you. Don't take no poo poo!

(buy a track bike though)

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Spiffness posted:

I've been telling a certain someone that he needs to nut up and buy a track bike for way longer than he's been hassling you. Don't take no poo poo!

(buy a track bike though)

My nuts are ready, my bank account is unwilling. Does anyone want to buy a ZX9R that runs but can't be titled and a DRZ400SM? :v:

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back

needknees posted:

What's a cr250 if not a trackbike?

FuzzyWuzzyBear
Sep 8, 2003

I currently have a CBR F2 and am thinking about getting a supermoto sometime in the future. My bike only has something like 85hp and I'm happy with that, so I don't need lots of speed. I want a light, "pure as I can get" supermoto that is still good for highway use and occasional trackdays on big boy tracks. Will the DRZ400 suffice or will I want more powah?

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

DRZ doesn't really describe what you want unless your budget restricted.

You have to define "pure" SM a bit more and list a price point really.

Pure supermoto and highway use are totally opposite things. Big boy tracks means taller gearing and more power, which also eliminates a lot of the pure SM options a bit.

Ideally? KTM 690. I use mine on big boy tracks, SM tracks, commuting and long trips. Not everyone can find one in their budget then.

Husky 610 is close to the requirements as well.

A DRZ is fine on big boy tracks if you play waith the gearing or dont mind relaxing down the straights basically.

With SM you sort of have to choose and compromise somewhere. You can either have reliability and highway gearing, or pure SM track performance.

Edit: Feel free to send me a message on AIM if you wanna get real into the nitty gritty of each bike.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

The DRZ is sort of like the SV650 of the sumo world...it'll get everything done, but there are many bikes out there that will do it better. However, if you mod the poo poo out of a DRZ, it'll get up on equal footing with most other sumos out there.

Personally, after riding different DRZs and working out the progression on them, I wouldn't want to really ride one distance that didn't have at least the 39mm flatslide on it, and preferably a bore kit. The other thing is that a DRZ lacks a slipper clutch, which is an awesome thing to have on a sumo.

They'll handle freeway fine if you gear them up to 15/41. I'm currently running 14/41 and I actually prefer the slightly longer ratios that the 15 tooth sprocket supplies. IMO, 15/41 is the best street gearing, with 14/41 being a bit better if you're going to be doing a fair bit of offroad or wheelies.

The KTM/Huskys are vastly superior out of the box, but tend to be significantly more expensive.

Also, I have my old yellow DRZ going up for sale if you're interested in buying it. Hit me up here or on AIM (in the profile) if you want to talk about it.

FuzzyWuzzyBear
Sep 8, 2003

How is the reliability and maintenance schedule of something like a KTM 610 or KTM 690 vs a DRZ400? Also, Z3n, I'd totally buy your DRZ but am not in a financial position to buy right now. :( Unless, of course, you'd want to trade for my F2 as a trackbike! :lol:

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Husky 610, just fine. I'm not sure what the intervals are and I'm too lazy to look it up. The KTM 690 is 6,000 mile valve checks, I do oil every 3k miles tops because I love it dearly, I've never known a 690 with valves out of spec, people report the valves being perfect even after 24k miles. It's a rock solid engine.

The husky is very much the same.

Checking valves on the 690 is way easier to do than on a DRZ for what it's worth, though you only have to do it half as often.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

15.5k interval on DRZ valves. Shim under bucket for life.

Besides that, I figure changes every roughly ~2k on my DRZ, I do a lot of short hop riding so it has a hard life.

needknees
Apr 4, 2006

Oh. My.
You assholes :argh:

inspection/ride/pickup on Saturday

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

one of us
one of us
ONE OF US

4/20 NEVER FORGET
Dec 2, 2002

NEVER FORGET OK
Fun Shoe
I'm going to wait until deep into the winter to save money/see what kind of deals I can find, but I sold the GSXR to pay off some debt. Once I've got my living situation locked down and some cash saved up I'm coming back to sumos. I miss it so bad :(

A supermoto really is the most fun you can have on two wheels. I can't wait to try something out other than a DRZ.

That Genuine Stank
Apr 25, 2004

Zool posted:

What's a cr250 if not a trackbike?

Seriously, turn it into a sumo and track it. Is there any supermoto racing in needknees' area?

needknees
Apr 4, 2006

Oh. My.

stizu posted:

Seriously, turn it into a sumo and track it. Is there any supermoto racing in needknees' area?

No :saddowns:

They used to run sumos and <=250 streetbikes at a shifter cart track pretty close to me but the owner died a few years ago and it's been in limbo since. They started running autox there again this year so things might be looking up. Other than that place I don't know of any other kart/sumo tracks in the state.

I have entertained the idea of making the CR250 into a sumo but with the money I'd sink into that I'd basically be halfway to this 625SMC that I'm looking at for a bike I can't ride on the road. I'd been toying with the idea of ditching the CBR1k for awhile anyway, it's completely loving retarded for 99.9999999% of the riding I do, and the amazingly small portion of my riding it DOES excel at, it still scares the piss out of me. I loving love riding the thing at the track but it eats tires like they're going out of style and honestly is not helping my progression one bit. I'm reasonably competent on the track but going over video you can tell I'm totally leery of the bike, and for good reason in my opinion :-/.

I like the idea of a true dirtbike to play around on trails and the SMC for everything else. At the tracks around here I think it would be an absolute blast.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fofalooza
Feb 5, 2004
How well off would I be going with a sumo and aggressive dual sport tires for an extended and not very technical off road riding trip? What are the big differences between a supermoto and a dedicated dual sport, like a KLR? You guys seem to really know your poo poo so who better to ask :) I've always wanted a supermoto as a dick around bike and after this trip, I'd probably get another set of rims with real road tires or knobbies to keep my options up. Any bike recommendations?

• Locked thread