Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

destructo
Apr 29, 2006
Bought into CPIX this morning at 5.81, looking for $7-8 before 9/11.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Jackal
Sep 13, 2009

imabmf posted:

Question for active traders, Does this happen often?

I have a brokerage account with Vanguard to manage my own retirement, not trading but investing. Anyway, I went to do my usual purchase every 2 weeks and for the first time I used a Limit order, just to do it. The market price and the ASK price from Vanguard were pretty far apart, so I set my buy limit at 81.00, Market price dropped to 80.94, but their ASK never dropped below 81.08.

Yet the trade was executed at the 81.00 price.

is this common or how it works? I figured the trade would not execute until the ASK was at 81.00 or below.

Someone could've sold it at 81.00 (therefor allowing you to buy) and the price hit back up because only a single lot was sold to you.

I am not sure if Vanguard is a Market Maker (they probably are) and might have met you at 81.00 for fun & profit?

ifuckedjesus
Sep 5, 2002
filez filez filez filez filez filez filez filez filez
My thoughts are that deep sea drillers - DO, NE, RIG and others will see a huge boost in share price when they lift the golf drilling moratorium.

We shall see how it plays out.

Eco RI
Nov 5, 2008

NOM NOM NOM OM NOM

ifuckedjesus posted:

My thoughts are that deep sea drillers - DO, NE, RIG and others will see a huge boost in share price when they lift the golf drilling moratorium.

We shall see how it plays out.

You don't think that's already priced in?

DancingMachine
Aug 12, 2004

He's a dancing machine!
GM's IPO announced for October. Should be a pretty big deal. It will have so much publicity, it pretty much has to end up overvalued, right? I guess the only question is how long it will take to come down off its initial high.

greasyhands
Oct 28, 2006

Best quality posts,
freshly delivered

DancingMachine posted:

GM's IPO announced for October. Should be a pretty big deal. It will have so much publicity, it pretty much has to end up overvalued, right? I guess the only question is how long it will take to come down off its initial high.

I think it's going to go very poorly. We'll see.

destructo
Apr 29, 2006
Best thing to do would be just to gauge initial hype and play the first day of the IPO a la Tesla.

abagofcheetos
Oct 29, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

GM's S-4 filing posted:

We have determined that our disclosure controls and procedures and our internal control over financial
reporting are currently not effective. The lack of effective internal controls could materially adversely affect
our financial condition and ability to carry out our business plan.

SIGN ME THE gently caress UP!

Synergy
Feb 20, 2003

All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain.

greasyhands posted:

I think it's going to go very poorly. We'll see.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/us_gm_recall

OOPS...

Dr. Eldarion
Mar 21, 2001

Deal Dispatcher

Anyone else been buying Take Two (TTWO) recently? I think it's ridiculously cheap, and have loaded up on it this week as a long-term play.

They've been doing very well in branching out from their core franchise (Grand Theft Auto, which alone outsells almost any other game around), having good success with new IPs (Borderlands, Read Dead Redemption). They also have some great-looking games coming soon (Civilization 5, Mafia 2). I'm quite optimistic about them.

Dr. Eldarion fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Aug 19, 2010

Dr. Jackal
Sep 13, 2009

Dr. Eldarion posted:

Anyone else been buying Take Two (TTWO) recently? I think it's ridiculously cheap, and have loaded up on it this week as a long-term play.

They've been doing very well in branching out from their core franchise (Grand Theft Auto, which alone outsells almost any other game around), having good success with new IPs (Borderlands, Read Dead Redemption). They also have some great-looking games coming soon (Civilization 5, Mafia 2).

I would assume Civ5 and Mafia2 are already in the pricing for those stocks. If Mafia2 or Civ5 has way the hell above expectations on sales they might be worth something but otherwise I am quite meh about TTWO.

I was looking at ATVI earlier this year for SC2 release(future) and also on speculation of MW2 not being bumped out due to CoD4 (or was it 5?). Their Q1 was above expectations but I would love to know what the expectations for SC2 sales are in this quarter.

IIRC, SC2's sales figures for launch was suppose to be not-as-zerg-rushed numbers wise.

Looking at F again now that they are below $12 again... (someone mentioned 11.5 being the better entry point?)

Jul 11, 2003

by astral
Not sure if its the right thread, can someone throw me an invite to zecco? I think they do a $75 referral.

TOO SCSI FOR MY CAT
Oct 12, 2008

this is what happens when you take UI design away from engineers and give it to a bunch of hipster art student "designers"

5436 posted:

Not sure if its the right thread, can someone throw me an invite to zecco? I think they do a $75 referral.
Sure: http://zecco.popularmedia.net/click/share/19fc796d09a33d880cb7a08a4f854ac3

greasyhands
Oct 28, 2006

Best quality posts,
freshly delivered

Dr. Eldarion posted:

They've been doing very well in branching out from their core franchise (Grand Theft Auto, which alone outsells almost any other game around), having good success with new IPs (Borderlands, Read Dead Redemption). They also have some great-looking games coming soon (Civilization 5, Mafia 2). I'm quite optimistic about them.

I've been in and out of TTWO several times now as its jumped between 8 and 11 over the last 6 months. I've been eyeing it lately as it's getting really cheap, but I'm extremely negative on the market as a whole right now so I'm holding off (I'm long nothing right now). I also suspect they'll be bought out eventually. Carl Icahn has several seats on the board and is working behind the scenes on getting them bought out I'm sure.

Dr. Eldarion
Mar 21, 2001

Deal Dispatcher

Dr. Jackal posted:

I would assume Civ5 and Mafia2 are already in the pricing for those stocks. If Mafia2 or Civ5 has way the hell above expectations on sales they might be worth something but otherwise I am quite meh about TTWO.
I was bringing those up to point out that they're doing more than just GTA, which still seems to be the perception of most people looking at the stock. Most people I've seen writing about it think they're a one-trick-pony, which isn't really the case.

... and I'm surprised nobody's in here yelling about CRM jumping up even further.

antishock
Aug 19, 2003
M&A Talk:

What are peoples thoughts about the Potash offer being to low? Think they are going to get an offer from someone other than BHP Billiton?

Intel's buyout of Mcafee, smart? I say yes but they paid way to much. Intel eventually was going to need to come up with secure desktop and mobile platforms (a la RIMM). I guess they didn't want to grow it organically or want to get a product to market quicker.

Plastic Jesus
Aug 26, 2006

I'm cranky most of the time.

antishock posted:

M&A Talk:

What are peoples thoughts about the Potash offer being to low? Think they are going to get an offer from someone other than BHP Billiton?

Intel's buyout of Mcafee, smart? I say yes but they paid way to much. Intel eventually was going to need to come up with secure desktop and mobile platforms (a la RIMM). I guess they didn't want to grow it organically or want to get a product to market quicker.

I don't know enough about POT to comment intelligently about it, though from what I've read I'll be surprised if BHP's takeover is successful (at least this first stab at it).

INTC for MFE is absolutely baffling. They don't need a secure desktop or mobile platform, they need to remain OS agnostic. I have to assume that they have something very specific in mind, otherwise they'd have saved themselves $6 billion and purchased a slimmer, more flexible startup. I just have no clue what that specific plan is.

One thing that both deals have shown me, though, is that it's a bad time to be short any specific names. These types of deals are likely to continue and getting caught out on even 1 could be crushing.

Plastic Jesus fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Aug 20, 2010

ayekappy
Aug 22, 2004

Brie Cheesin'
Well, fate and my bad decisions have led to what seems like another screw up. Yesterday I had an order for some FAZ calls at market open, didn't get the purchase and FAZ goes up like 30 mins later, decide to go with BP puts. Now FAZ is 16.30 instead of 15 while BP is merely 36.18 instead of 36.70 like yesterday. Plus with calls you get an infinite amount to raise, but for me to even come close to making what I would from FAZ doubling in a month would require BP to get to like 17 bucks by next month, and how could it even go much lower if it did? FAZ would just need another increase of ~3% to add another dollar to the option once it meets its strike.

ayekappy fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Aug 20, 2010

destructo
Apr 29, 2006
Thoughts on KIRK?

edit: watch JAZZ when trading resumes :lol:

destructo fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Aug 20, 2010

OGS-Remix
Sep 4, 2007

Totally surviving on my own. On LAND!
Anyone have any thoughts on INTU's recent changes?

Amusingly enough, I was looking at it last week, but this week has just been :psyduck:

I should check the insider trading volume but :effort:

poopfart
May 5, 2010

destructo posted:

Bought into CPIX this morning at 5.81, looking for $7-8 before 9/11.

http://www.reuters.com/article/idCNSGE67J0JK20100820?rpc=44

And the original date was for 9/10.

Christobevii3
Jul 3, 2006
Bought 5 jan 2011 puts $25 on BP. The no news on the relief wells which are 2 weeks late now and bad news on all fronts on fishing in the gulf. Wait for the bad Q3 number on GDP and oil should drop and should be good, worth a chance.

Plastic Jesus
Aug 26, 2006

Christobevii3 posted:

Bought 5 jan 2011 puts $25 on BP. The no news on the relief wells which are 2 weeks late now and bad news on all fronts on fishing in the gulf. Wait for the bad Q3 number on GDP and oil should drop and should be good, worth a chance.

I don't want to tell you your business, but that's a $90/contract bet that requires a 34% move downward in the next 3 months. Why not sell the 22.5 or the 20 to limit your downside, and more importantly reduce your theta drag?

Christobevii3
Jul 3, 2006
More of a small gamble risk looking for a vix spike and bad news on the BP well or economic slow down in gdp number.

ayekappy
Aug 22, 2004

Brie Cheesin'

Plastic Jesus posted:

I don't want to tell you your business, but that's a $90/contract bet that requires a 34% move downward in the next 3 months. Why not sell the 22.5 or the 20 to limit your downside, and more importantly reduce your theta drag?

Call me silly, but why does it require 34% down exactly? It should just require BP to go down enough in the next 3 months to sell the options for more than paid for+commissions. If BP dropped 2.5% 2 days in a row I'd think a profit could be managed,

Plus who says a 34%+ drop in the next 3 months is not outside the realm of possibility? They are huge but so are the amount of individual and group lawsuits piling up against BP. If they manage to manipulate(or if it ends up not being a problem) the data/news enough on toxins in fish from the spill maybe they might have a chance, but if that goes horribly wrong and starts more directly involving a more substantial and affluent part of the populace, doubt it.

Plastic Jesus
Aug 26, 2006

ayekappy posted:

Call me silly, but why does it require 34% down exactly? It should just require BP to go down enough in the next 3 months to sell the options for more than paid for+commissions. If BP dropped 2.5% 2 days in a row I'd think a profit could be managed,

Plus who says a 34%+ drop in the next 3 months is not outside the realm of possibility? They are huge but so are the amount of individual and group lawsuits piling up against BP. If they manage to manipulate(or if it ends up not being a problem) the data/news enough on toxins in fish from the spill maybe they might have a chance, but if that goes horribly wrong and starts more directly involving a more substantial and affluent part of the populace, doubt it.

Depends on when those back-to-back down days occur and what happens between now and then. Theta is a plodding, relentless bitch and while he's long vega, it's not much and the vol he has was expensive (IV is ~57%). Like I said, he's free to trade as he pleases (as are you). It just seems like a lot of things have to go right, with very few things going against him for this trade to turn out well. All I did was suggest writing the 22.5 or 20 series as a hedge.

Further, I prefer that my trades have more going for them than the upside being within the realm of possibility.

greasyhands
Oct 28, 2006

Best quality posts,
freshly delivered

ayekappy posted:

Haha, keep investing while thinking like this... and make sure you keep us updated

i am not zach
Apr 16, 2007

by Ozmaugh

ayekappy posted:

I think the US government has shown clearly enough that it is not interested in crippling BP, I don't think any of the parties involved (who have any authority) have any sort of interest in seeing the fall of BP, and many of them have a big interest in seeing BP recover. I'll admit there is a lot of public outcry, but I think money is much louder than words in this case. I see BP making a slow and steady recovery, with plenty of small downswings in the process. It's a great time to buy BP as far as I'm concerned (I hold a small position)

destructo
Apr 29, 2006

poopfart posted:

http://www.reuters.com/article/idCNSGE67J0JK20100820?rpc=44

And the original date was for 9/10.
Yeah, not the greatest news, although I think AH was a bit of an overreaction. I'll add to my position if it drops much more than that.

Christobevii3
Jul 3, 2006
25% move upward on my puts already. It was the Jan 30 i got, not the 25.

Cheesemaster200
Feb 11, 2004

Guard of the Citadel
BoJ has got to be making GBS threads their pants right now....

ziebarf
Jul 6, 2008

greasyhands posted:

I've been in and out of TTWO several times now as its jumped between 8 and 11 over the last 6 months. I've been eyeing it lately as it's getting really cheap, but I'm extremely negative on the market as a whole right now so I'm holding off (I'm long nothing right now). I also suspect they'll be bought out eventually. Carl Icahn has several seats on the board and is working behind the scenes on getting them bought out I'm sure.

Quantify the term "cheap" to me. I hear it thrown around stock market discussions all the time.. Would TTWO be considered cheap at 15? Are we speaking relative to its highs?

Dr. Eldarion
Mar 21, 2001

Deal Dispatcher

ziebarf posted:

Quantify the term "cheap" to me. I hear it thrown around stock market discussions all the time.. Would TTWO be considered cheap at 15? Are we speaking relative to its highs?
I was speaking about what I believe the value of their company is as it relates to their games. (also, what EA tried to buy them for a couple years ago...)

Their market cap is $700m, which is about what one GTA game alone will get them.

Edit: vvv He says it better vvv

Dr. Eldarion fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Aug 24, 2010

greasyhands
Oct 28, 2006

Best quality posts,
freshly delivered

ziebarf posted:

No, relative to it's peers. Look at it's enterprise value, it's book value, its price/sales, and its forward p/e. Then compare them to ERTS, ATVI. Then compare it to THQI, and think about the value of TTWOs franchises vs THQs. Remember ERTS tried to buy TTWO at around $26/sh and was rebuked about 2 1/2 years ago. Also, as I already said, Icahn is at work behind the scenes trying to broker a deal. TTWO currently has an incredibly strong portfolio and some really bad management that has been unable to control costs, if this changes going forward (I think it will with Icahn all over the board) then TTWO is currently very cheap.

Free Gucci Mane
Aug 31, 2009

by Ozmaugh

Cheesemaster200 posted:

BoJ has got to be making GBS threads their pants right now....

So if the BoJ decides to act and starts buying dollars, what does that mean for U.S. markets?

Dr. Jackal
Sep 13, 2009

greasyhands posted:

No, relative to it's peers. Look at it's enterprise value, it's book value, its price/sales, and its forward p/e. Then compare them to ERTS, ATVI. Then compare it to THQI, and think about the value of TTWOs franchises vs THQs. Remember ERTS tried to buy TTWO at around $26/sh and was rebuked about 2 1/2 years ago. Also, as I already said, Icahn is at work behind the scenes trying to broker a deal. TTWO currently has an incredibly strong portfolio and some really bad management that has been unable to control costs, if this changes going forward (I think it will with Icahn all over the board) then TTWO is currently very cheap.

someone explain to me how ATVI has 0 debt/asset but TTWO is at 11.6 (uncontrolled spending?) I wouldn't ATVI is looking more lucrative for long-term holds. TTWO does have a better chance of spiking up with some good news.

RIG up on report that Transocean's captain (maintainer of the RIG) are not responsible for risk assessment associated with drilling? (and I would assume cementing) so their stock jumps up 4%. I guess that with the Greenland news makes RIG seem more attractive for investors. What is the possible downside now for RIG other than a economic slowdown? (their lows during 07->09 about this was mid-40s)

greasyhands
Oct 28, 2006

Best quality posts,
freshly delivered

Dr. Jackal posted:

someone explain to me how ATVI has 0 debt/asset but TTWO is at 11.6 (uncontrolled spending?) I wouldn't ATVI is looking more lucrative for long-term holds. TTWO does have a better chance of spiking up with some good news.

RIG up on report that Transocean's captain (maintainer of the RIG) are not responsible for risk assessment associated with drilling? (and I would assume cementing) so their stock jumps up 4%. I guess that with the Greenland news makes RIG seem more attractive for investors. What is the possible downside now for RIG other than a economic slowdown? (their lows during 07->09 about this was mid-40s)

i think you reversed some numbers or something, TTWOs debt/asset is .12x, They have more cash than debt on their balance sheet.

Dr. Jackal
Sep 13, 2009

greasyhands posted:

i think you reversed some numbers or something, TTWOs debt/asset is .12x, They have more cash than debt on their balance sheet.

ep I guess so, I guess google is listed in percentage values not real values. I still think on that comparison ATVI is a better bet on some aspects (maybe split points into atvi and a smaller % into TTWO for spec)...

destructo
Apr 29, 2006
Picked up some PAL today at 2.98, along with FBP @ 0.39

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plastic Jesus
Aug 26, 2006

Closed my Sep 10 RUT bear call spreads yesterday, picked up Aug4 10 IWM bull call spreads in their place. Opened Aug4 10 GLD bull call spreads, bot SLV outright and opened Oct 10 bear call spreads in FXI (mostly as a hedge against the IWM position). Looks like lucky timing, but I'll take it.