Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Look Under The Rock
Oct 20, 2007

you can't take the sky from me
My mom knit her first sweater in Lamb's Pride and wears it with a turtleneck. But I hate turtlenecks so I could never do that. If I knit a sweater I'm springing for alpaca.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CureMinorWounds
Apr 29, 2007
Faster Casting Time!
I usually post in the crochet thread, but I've been practicing my knitting, so I have a question for you guys. How do you get the edges of your knitting to not look like poo poo? I've been trying to make a cabled headband, and the first time it curled up, and this time the edges just look like complete poo poo and I'm not sure how to fix it. Any wonderful videos or first hand knowledge you guys would like to share with me?

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

CureMinorWounds posted:

I usually post in the crochet thread, but I've been practicing my knitting, so I have a question for you guys. How do you get the edges of your knitting to not look like poo poo? I've been trying to make a cabled headband, and the first time it curled up, and this time the edges just look like complete poo poo and I'm not sure how to fix it. Any wonderful videos or first hand knowledge you guys would like to share with me?

Avoid the stockinette stitch. It curls like a motherfucker and there's no way to avoid it since that's what it's suppose to do. Use the moss stitch for edges. http://www.ehow.com/how_2044332_knit-moss-stitch.html

To make the edges not look like poo poo, for the first edge stitch, knit [or purl], pull the yarn tight then knit as you usually do. Make sense?

Drei
Feb 23, 2006

she's incredible math
If it's an exposed edge (ie not going to be seamed) I usually slip the first stitch of each row purlwise (rather than knitting it). This stretches that edge stitch over two rows and makes it look neater.

felgs
Dec 31, 2008

Cats cure all ills. Post more of them.

Another option is to add two stitches to each edge, and work those in garter (always knit those two, or always purl). Garter does not curl, and can help stabilize.

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow

Drei posted:

If it's an exposed edge (ie not going to be seamed) I usually slip the first stitch of each row purlwise (rather than knitting it). This stretches that edge stitch over two rows and makes it look neater.

This makes garter stitch scarves go from "My first scarf!" to "I bought this in a store WITH MONEY".

CureMinorWounds
Apr 29, 2007
Faster Casting Time!

Wandering Knitter posted:

This makes garter stitch scarves go from "My first scarf!" to "I bought this in a store WITH MONEY".

This was sort of the look I was going for, but I'm not sure I understand, do you do that the whole way up? Or every other row? I'm not the sharpest knife in the drawer, sorry if I'm missing something obvious.

Drei
Feb 23, 2006

she's incredible math
No, every row. Don't knit the first stitch, just slip it. That way it only gets knit when it's the last stitch in the row - ie it is only knit every other row.

EDIT: Now with possible helpful photo?

This is the center panel of a blanket I'm making, which is done in garter stitch. I've slipped the first stitch of every row. See how the edge stitches look kinda big and loopy? Once I block it that extra slack will go away as those stitches are forced to stretch over two rows, which results in a much cleaner looking edge. Also note that near the stripe I accidentally knit that stitch, hence why it is looking rather lumpy.

Drei fucked around with this message at 05:28 on Aug 24, 2010

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow
In related knitting news, the big craft fair I went to this year is less than two weeks away.

And guess who's ready with lots of knitting related goods to sell?

...not me! :smithicide:

CureMinorWounds
Apr 29, 2007
Faster Casting Time!

Drei posted:

No, every row. Don't knit the first stitch, just slip it. That way it only gets knit when it's the last stitch in the row - ie it is only knit every other row.

EDIT: Now with possible helpful photo?

This is the center panel of a blanket I'm making, which is done in garter stitch. I've slipped the first stitch of every row. See how the edge stitches look kinda big and loopy? Once I block it that extra slack will go away as those stitches are forced to stretch over two rows, which results in a much cleaner looking edge. Also note that near the stripe I accidentally knit that stitch, hence why it is looking rather lumpy.

That is amazing and exactly what I was looking for, thanks!

And to you Wandering Knitter, don't feel bad, I have a big one coming up in like a month and I've been so busy with work I've only got 2 hats ready! I'm so hosed.

This is why I'm making up some headbands, so maybe I'll sell something.

Sodium Chloride
Jan 1, 2008

I finally finished knitting something!

Garter Stitch mitts, nice easy pattern:

Oh man my arm looks so pale

And this not yet blocked shawl:

I don't have enough room to block it and will have to go to my friend's house. Never blocked anything... it's just wetting and pinning it, right?

Bob Shadycharacter
Dec 19, 2005
Pretty much yeah. Let it soak in lukewarm water for a while, then lift it out of the water in one big mass and make sure you're supporting the whole thing with your hands. Roll it up in a towell and try to get as much of the water out as you can. Then lay it out on whatever you're blocking it on and smooth it out into the shape you want and pin it down.

If it's supposed to have a straight edge - looks like that's a half circle shaped shawl with a straight edge on the top? - it can be helpful to run thread or something through the stitches up there and pin the thread into a straight line. If you put pins in it you're going to get a scalloped edge there it'll drive you nuts. They make wires for this purpose too but thread is fine. Thread or embroidery floss, something like that. I like the colors!

Sodium Chloride
Jan 1, 2008

That was really helpful, thanks! I wouldn't have thought of using wire/thread to keep the top straight.

felgs
Dec 31, 2008

If you are using thread, thread it BEFORE soak. Really. Ask me how I know.

Spiteful
Apr 26, 2009
Just curious if anyone has any good easy baby knitted toys I could make. I just keep freaking out i'll make *random pattern* wrong and end up somehow killing the baby.
I'm not sure how a poorly knitted toy could do this but knowing some of these kids it's certainly a possibility. I also suppose i'll need to go down a needle size or something to make sure my knitting has SUPER TENSION so the stuffing doesn't show through?
FelicityGS, why thread it before soak?

Twatty Seahag
Dec 30, 2007
I just kind of make up toys as I go along, but if the pattern calls for eyes you can embroider them on instead of using buttons. Much safer! :) I've also put the stuffing inside a nylon stocking before closing up the toy, that kind of helps keep it in check.

Amykinz
May 6, 2007

Spiteful posted:

I also suppose i'll need to go down a needle size or something to make sure my knitting has SUPER TENSION so the stuffing doesn't show through?

You'd want a good, tightly spun yarn too. Once the kid starts teething, they'll chew on ANYTHING (my niece likes tape measures and remote controls) and the tighter the knitting and the yarn, the less likely they're going to chew the fuzz outta the yarn.

felgs
Dec 31, 2008

Spiteful posted:

FelicityGS, why thread it before soak?

Trying to thread cotton through wet wool without splitting anything is a total nightmare--plus most animal fiber is weaker when wet. I wanted to try the thread thing, but I had already soaked the shawl to try it on. "OH I'll just try it anyway!" I ended up just reblocking it later.

Debbie Metallica
Jun 7, 2001

TauntTheOctopi posted:

I made some totoros for my boyfriend's birthday yesterday.

ADORABLE. I love Totoro!

EVG
Dec 17, 2005

If I Saw It, Here's How It Happened.

Sodium Chloride posted:

I finally finished knitting something!

Garter Stitch mitts, nice easy pattern:

What pattern did you use for this?

Sodium Chloride
Jan 1, 2008

EVG posted:

What pattern did you use for this?

Garter Stitch Mitts by Ysolda:
http://ysolda.com/2007/11/25/garter-stitch-mitts/

Goldaline
Dec 21, 2006

my dear
I've been getting back into knitting lately! I actually didn't do much while I was in school for fibers, because I'm too slow at it, compared to other techniques. Now I've got lots of time, and I'm slowly tackling new knitting skills!

Some stranded knitting pockets for a vest.

And a simple feather-and-fan scarf, because I was terrified of lace knitting.

Drei
Feb 23, 2006

she's incredible math
Gorgeous colorwork!

Here's a few things I've recently completed - nothing too exciting, but it's been a productive summer!

Crazy Zauberball socks! The colors didn't photograph quite as crazy as they are in real life, but I'm happy because these are the first socks that fit my feet relatively well!

Fairly boring linen stitch scarf for my dad's birthday. (Why can't dudes be more fun to knit for?)

The Brattleboro Hat, featured in the newest IK issue. Totally not my colors but it was for a store sample. Buttons!

A Marian Cowl. This literally took two hours, done on 15mm needles. I was chatting with my boyfriend on Skype as I was working on it, and he kept laughing at me because of the comical size of my needles.

On a slightly unrelated note, today Amanda Seyfried came into my store, and I learned that she 1) has excellent taste in yarn, and 2) hates knitting on DPNs.

Scooty Puff Jr.
Oct 2, 2004
Who's ready for safe fun?
What yarn is that Brattleboro hat knit out of? It looks...cozyful.

I've got to make it out to your locale one of these days. I've only been once, and I'm about to move downtown, so I will no longer be nearer the Edgemont urban yarns.

Unfortunately, having just graduated, I am now fully broke. (Job time!)

Look Under The Rock
Oct 20, 2007

you can't take the sky from me
I love those socks, which pattern did you use?

Does anyone get second sock syndrome? I always get excited, buy nice yarn, speed through the first sock and then look at my needles and yarn and go "I have to do another??"

Bob Shadycharacter
Dec 19, 2005

Look Under The Rock posted:

I love those socks, which pattern did you use?

Does anyone get second sock syndrome? I always get excited, buy nice yarn, speed through the first sock and then look at my needles and yarn and go "I have to do another??"

I could be wrong since I didn't knit it, but I think I recognize the Circle Socks pattern? If not it looks very much like it. And it's lovely!

I have some zauberball that I want to make socks from but I'm kinda scared of the stuff because it's singles and they tend to come apart when I knit with them. Dunno what else to do with it though, nothing's really jumping out at me on Ravelry.

I totally get second sock syndrome which is why I learned to do two socks at the same time on one bigass needle. It's the same amount of work and yet magically it seems like the whole thing gets done a lot faster that way. Granted, it's not a good idea with every pattern.

Scooty Puff Jr.
Oct 2, 2004
Drei, are you going to the Kaffe Fassett lecture on Oct 1st?

I just found out about it, luckily they had just added 20 seats.

The fiber fest before last in Victoria when I worked at the Oak bay yarn store, one of the guys who came in said he took a class with Fasset and that's he's a total A-hole who hates self-striping yarn (or something...) but who knows! Should be interesting.

In other news, dude was totally hot when he was young, as his older books can attest.

Any other GreaterVan knitters hitting up this event?

felgs
Dec 31, 2008

Look Under The Rock posted:

If it's a difficult sock and the yarn was a pain, yeah. I still have finished the Bex socks because the yarn I chose is ridiculously splitty and annoying to work with.

Otherwise, it's just stuff to knit during lecture.

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow
Is anyone going to the Knitting retreat in PA in September???

...Because if you are you have my condolences. The pregnant hambeast in my knitting/crochet class is going and you'll be forced to share a bunk with her. :gonk:

Bob Shadycharacter
Dec 19, 2005
I wish I could afford to go to a knitting retreat. I don't know why I thought they wouldn't be that expensive but there was one near (well, near-ish) me last year and it was like $800 or something.

I spent all my money on yarn, dammit!

Drei
Feb 23, 2006

she's incredible math
Brattleboro was done in Punta Yarns Mericash Thousand Colors. Kinda weird color-wise, but it's 20% cashmere, soo...

And Bob is correct, those are the Circle Socks (free pattern on Ravelry, look it up!) Re: finishing a pair of socks - I really want to try the two at a time sock technique on one circular). Our sock class teacher has a funny way of getting through a pair - she's super competitive, so she has one sock cast on that she takes with her throughout the day, and another that she works on at home, and she tries to beat herself at finishing one over the other.

To be honest I was never a huge fan of Kaffe's work so I don't think I'll be going. I wonder if the guy who dissed him was the same one I talked to - he was pissed since Kaffe chewed a friend out for using variegated yarn.

Brandon Mably is doing a 6 hour color workshop on Oct 3rd that might be cool, but tix are $135 and it may even be booked up by now. I am excited for our other guests planned for the fall, as Takako from Habu is coming with a trunk show of her kits, plus Debbie Stoller is also visiting for the launch of her new SnB book.

Scooty, whereabouts are you going to be downtown? I too was downtown till very recently (and I miss it so much!)

Scooty Puff Jr.
Oct 2, 2004
You know, I think it must be the same guy. The one I spoke to was definitely from Vancouver (I was grilling him about the best yarn shops) and had just come over for a workshop. I've never gotten to go to a fiber lecture before - anthro, psych, film, writing, etc, etc, but never on fiber, so, why not, I figured.

I can't imagine why he hates varigated yarn. (And what a hypocrite because the "Colourscape by Kaffe Fasset" yarn from Rowan is in fact varigated.)

You must get all the good details on who's coming to town. Brandon Mably is a bit too expensive for my jobless pocket.

I'm moving to Nelson and Cambie, just on the edge of Yaletown. (Don't stalk me goons!) It's fair bit more than in North Van but it seems really hard to find anything in greater van for less than $600 if you insist on having luxuries like laundry and a stove.

I'm excited though, my boyfriend and I are going to eat our way along Robson.

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow
I want to take a moment to thank everyone that's been helping me hunt down some Patons SWS. Although I'll probably have to make my kitten batches half soy half wool now I have plenty to last me till I can hopefully get a real job. :v:

Robin Sparkles
Apr 23, 2009

Wandering Knitter posted:

I want to take a moment to thank everyone that's been helping me hunt down some Patons SWS. Although I'll probably have to make my kitten batches half soy half wool now I have plenty to last me till I can hopefully get a real job. :v:

I have some leftover earthy colour of this if you want it?

madlilnerd
Jan 4, 2009

a bush with baggage

Drei posted:

plus Debbie Stoller is also visiting for the launch of her new SnB book.

Is this one going to have things you can actually wash or wear or both? I can't for the life of me remember why I bought the Nation book, everything in it seemed to be made from unwashable Lamb's Pride or was absolutely hideous or both. I made the Razor poncho at the request of a friend, who never wears it, and the cat toy. Everything else either looked retarded or was made out of yarn that was too expensive or impossible to wash. I've thought about making the 4ply cardigan out of another yarn but think I might go mad knitting a cardi on 4ply needles.

And now for a real question:
I've designed and made a sweater for myself and it's time to assemble it. How the hell do I know how many stitches to pick up and knit from around the neck? My mum said that there might be a formula but she's forgotten it if there is.

felgs
Dec 31, 2008

I believe that for stockinette, it's 3 stitches to every 4 rows--adjust as necessary to avoid rumpling.

While this isn't specifically picking up, it is a cast on that allows for mimicking it. Provided you can wade through her rather wordy and distracted post to the meat of it, it mentions various ratios for different pick-ups as well.

Sideways Cast On

Scooty Puff Jr.
Oct 2, 2004
Poll time!:

What kind of wool wash do y'all use to wash your wool (and knitted items?)

I use soak but I'm going to give Unicorn Wash a try, as well as their Power Scour for raw fleece.

Anyone else? Heard any good things about Soak, Eucalan, Kookaburra, Unicorn or others? Or do you use normal soap?

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

When I die, if there is a heaven, I will spend eternity rolling around with a pile of kittens.
I've never had any problems with Eucalan but I've also never used anything else, so there you go.

felgs
Dec 31, 2008

I use Soak for handknits. For washing fleece, Dawn is amazing. Unicorn Scour is just as good as Dawn, and you can use less of it for the same amount.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drei
Feb 23, 2006

she's incredible math

madlilnerd posted:

Is this one going to have things you can actually wash or wear or both? I can't for the life of me remember why I bought the Nation book, everything in it seemed to be made from unwashable Lamb's Pride or was absolutely hideous or both.

So use a superwash or non-fug substitute...? I can't remember the last time I used the exact yarn called for in the pattern.

Anyways, I use Soak and really like it, especially the Ravelry scent (smells like green apple Jolly Ranchers!) I also use it to wash delicate stuff like lingerie.