Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Slantedfloors posted:

The subsidiary CEO's now have direct control over their intellectual properties. Fear will keep the fans in line. Fear of Yoda Stories 2.
If they could upgrade the whole nice little timewaster thing it had going for it to be more playable it could be fun. Or I could shove Chewbacca into my flight suit again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

I refuse to acknowledge ANYTHING introduced in SWG as canon. The fact that there are hundreds of Jedi running around major cities in their robes supports that.

It all started when they acknowledged the Holiday Special with the Christmas Lifeday event.

hellsy
May 8, 2005
enjoy badger bleeding

SeanBeansShako posted:

It all started when they acknowledged the Holiday Special with the Christmas Lifeday event.

At least we got Boba Fett out of it, I mean if i recall it right. All he did was call Luke friend lots and he was his for the taking. McCain tried the same trick but sadly wasn't a Mandalorian

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

hellsy posted:

At least we got Boba Fett out of it, I mean if i recall it right. All he did was call Luke friend lots and he was his for the taking. McCain tried the same trick but sadly wasn't a Mandalorian
It's hardly fair: McCain had Palin, Boba Feet had a dinosaur. Everyone know dinosaurs are way much cooler than creationists.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
Why did Padme get elected queen anyway? How come a 14 year old was the best candidate on the entire planet?

Throb Robinson
Feb 8, 2010

He would enjoy administering the single antidote to Leia. He would enjoy it very much indeed..
I never thought about it. I thought she was older then 14. I guess that makes the whole anakin alittle less "Hand that rocks the cradle"

mynnna
Jan 10, 2004

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

I refuse to acknowledge ANYTHING introduced in SWG as canon. The fact that there are hundreds of Jedi running around major cities in their robes supports that.

The best part of SWG, back when I played it pre-NGE, was running around abusing my arsenal of overpowered exceptional weaponry combined with superfood, super-stims and bugged personal shield generators to beat all the jedi kids into a paste as an otherwise more or less normal guy.

I kinda miss those days :smith:

mynnna fucked around with this message at 05:11 on Aug 24, 2010

Locutus of Bald
Aug 20, 2009

by Debbie Metallica

Throb Robinson posted:

I never thought about it. I thought she was older then 14. I guess that makes the whole anakin alittle less "Hand that rocks the cradle"

I believe Weird Al clearly tells us in The Saga Begins that "do you see him hitting on the queen? he's just nine and she's fourteen yeah he's probably gonna marry her someday".

However, on Radio Disney, I guess "hitting on" is offensive so they literally made Weird Al rerecord the line as "do you see him talking to the Queen"

edit: I was wrong. They originally deleted the entire line, so Weird Al recorded the "talking" line because he didn't want his song to sound stupid.

Locutus of Bald fucked around with this message at 06:33 on Aug 24, 2010

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

JUST FUCKING TAKE OFF ALREADY, SHIT
Lucasarts could literally release TIE Fighter and X-Wing on steam so that it was compatible for newer PCs and they'd rake in shitloads of cash. Thats all they need to do, they released their OTHER games. Why not TIE? What is verboten about it?

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Bloody thing requires a joystick, which no one has any more. Also the graphics are outdated, and what Star Wars fans really want is pretty graphics and superpowers.

BaronVanAwesome
Sep 11, 2001

I will never learn the secrets of "Increased fake female boar sp..."

Never say never, buddy.
Now you know.
Now we all know.

Slantedfloors posted:

The subsidiary CEO's now have direct control over their intellectual properties. Fear will keep the fans in line. Fear of Yoda Stories 2.

Say what you will, I probably played more Yoda Stories on grandma's PC than any other game.

(Make a sequel)

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Ringo Star Get posted:

Lucasarts could literally release TIE Fighter and X-Wing on steam so that it was compatible for newer PCs and they'd rake in shitloads of cash. Thats all they need to do, they released their OTHER games. Why not TIE? What is verboten about it?

Last time I talked to a guy from Lucasarts about it, he said that this kind of stuff was indeed on the table, but usually only one, maybe two guys would get tasked to porting this stuff to Steam so it took longer than usual. For some stuff, I imagine it's much easier to port than stuff like X-Wing, so while the wait sucks, I'm sure we'll see it at some point.

DougieFFC
Mar 19, 2004

We are Fulham, super Fulham, we are Fulham, fuck Ch*lsea.

BonHair posted:

Also the graphics are outdated

I still play X-Wing Alliance from time to time as it runs without any problems on modern systems (I also have the Collector's Edition versions of X-Wing and Tie Fighter which only require a little bit of tinkering), and thanks to the X-Wing Alliance Upgrade Project still looks plenty flash. The game engine was obviously capable of handling far more complex models than the ones that were designed for it, and the updated models make it look excellent for an 11-year old game. The gameplay meanwhile hasn't aged a bit and is still the perfect amount of micromanagement in order to feel more immersive that a simple action game like Battlefront II. It's also really easy to make custom missions for it that I'm surprised there aren't more 100 mission epics out there. I always wanted to write some epic campaign involving an Imperial squadron that eventually jumps the fence but I was always too lazy.

I know there's also a Tie Fighter total conversion out there for it. I've no idea whether it's still possible to play multiplayer or if there's any community for it still but if they re-released it with working MP I'd be on that like a rash. Back when XvT was released (this was 1997-8 I think) we used to go to an internet cafe with joysticks in our bags and have team Tie Fighter vs. Tie Fighter battles and they were incredible fun.

Tie Fighter probably edges XWA in terms of atmosphere but XWA deserves more recognition than it ever received.

Edit: Tie Fighter total conversion (Battles 1-7) and X-Wing conversion + Tie Fighter battles 7-13.

DougieFFC fucked around with this message at 14:18 on Aug 24, 2010

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Why did Padme get elected queen anyway? How come a 14 year old was the best candidate on the entire planet?

A planet with a hollow core half populated by snobby upperclass royalists on land and retarded annoying clumsy lizard people under the sea.

gently caress, they should have elected Boss Nass. Everything is much better with Brian Blessed.

Also, I brought up the X-Wing Versus TIE Fighter on STEAM thing in the last thread, I would so buy it if they released it already.

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

The Wookieepedia article on Padme Amidala contains the phrase "secret wife." That cracks me up.

Edit: Apparently she had a "former lover" before even getting elected? I find it disturbing that a 13-year-old girl could be considered to have a lover.

my cat is norris fucked around with this message at 15:34 on Aug 24, 2010

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!

SeanBeansShako posted:

A planet with a hollow core half populated by snobby upperclass royalists on land and retarded annoying clumsy lizard people under the sea.

Did the Naboo and Gungans ever go to war with each other? It seems that the Gungans just lived in the sea and there were no signs that they had ever been at war with anyone...yet they have these huge dinosaur like things that can generate shields and posses some kind of advanced ion cannon abilities.

And if your race lives underwater, why do you have huge dinosaurs around to begin with?

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

Bonzo posted:

And if your race lives underwater, why do you have huge dinosaurs around to begin with?

Because only Jedi have the ability to Summon Bigger Fish.

ARCDad
Jul 22, 2007
Not to be confused with poptartin
So I'm reading Wookiepedia right now just to see what I've missed in the last few years of Star Wars books (I stopped reading after they killed Chewbacca with a loving moon. I honestly could not deal with anything that absurd/retarded anymore). It appears as if that whole Yuuzhan Vong war thing, this whole LOTF thing seems like it's one giant boring piece of poo poo. Politics and more Politics. Are there any actual space battles in this or is it just Daala proving herself to be even more inept than she already is (which I don't know if that's possible to do or not) and people sneaking around hating on Luke and the Jedi?

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Because on Naboo, government is traditionally run by kids between the ages of 12 and 20. Seriously. It's pretty much for the same reason that we have teen civics programs on Earth: to instill the values of good citizenship in young people.

tribbledirigible
Jul 27, 2004
I finally beat the internet. The end boss was hard.

Pththya-lyi posted:

Because on Naboo, government is traditionally run by kids between the ages of 12 and 20. Seriously. It's pretty much for the same reason that we have teen civics programs on Earth: to instill the values of good citizenship in young people.

And like teenagers on Earth, the whole Naboo-Gungan animosity was because the bored Queens of Naboo needed "frenemies".

hellsy
May 8, 2005
enjoy badger bleeding
I just remembered something and had to find it. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2GtuTS5-skc I reckon he would more than likely do this or his children would for him.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

So Amidala was elected or appointed Queen? Either way, I've never heard of a ruling system where royalty steps down to become a politician after.

For that matter, how was Leia a Princess when her dad wasn't a King? I don't remember Bail ever being called "Prince" or "king" Organa. And if his wife was royalty wouldn't that make him Duke or Earl or something?

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd

Bonzo posted:

So Amidala was elected or appointed Queen? Either way, I've never heard of a ruling system where royalty steps down to become a politician after.

For that matter, how was Leia a Princess when her dad wasn't a King? I don't remember Bail ever being called "Prince" or "king" Organa. And if his wife was royalty wouldn't that make him Duke or Earl or something?

He was married to the Queen. As for his title... v:shobon:v

hellsy
May 8, 2005
enjoy badger bleeding

Bonzo posted:

Elected Queen, which was limited to two terms, I can imanage that they had the same poo poo on Alderaan.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

sniper4625 posted:

He was married to the Queen. As for his title... v:shobon:v

So Bail Organa is the Star Wars version of Prince Phillip?

In that case I guess Princess Amidala died not at the hands of Anakin but crashed in one of Coruscant speeder tunnels due to a sinister white Corellian Uno Speeder was claimed to be seen moments before her death!

SeanBeansShako fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Aug 24, 2010

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

hellsy posted:

Elected Queen, which was limited to two terms, I can imanage that they had the same poo poo on Alderaan.

I'm no history major but has there ever been an elected Queen?

Lucas: Ok guys... (shuffles legal sized papers around) so Amidala is Luke's mum
Employee: Ok. What is she? Is she a slave like Anakin or Padme? Is that how they meet?
Lucas: Nope. She's a Queen!
Employee: Really? So the whole Skywalker family is decended from Royalty?
Lucas: Nope. She's um...was elected Queen!
Employee: Um really? Who would vote in a 14 year old Queen? Not really a great leader don't you think? I mean, no wonder Naboo is easy to invade. My nephew is 13 and gets wedgies once a week from the school bullies. Can kids vote too? Because if that's true its like saying Brittany Spears would be the Queen of America.
Lucas: Good point. We'll just have her finish serving her 2nd term by the second movie.
Employee: :negative:

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!

Bonzo posted:

Lucas: Ok guys... (shuffles legal sized papers around) so Amidala is Luke's mum
Employee: Ok. What is she? Is she a slave like Anakin or Padme? Is that how they meet?
Lucas: Nope. She's a Queen!
Employee: Really? So the whole Skywalker family is decended from Royalty?
Lucas: Nope. She's um...was elected Queen!
Employee: Um-
Lucas: Youre fired.
Employee: :smith:

There, made it more realistic for ya.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Ok so I see how thing runs in the Skywalker family now, you just assign yourself titles right?

Like how Luke is a Jedi Grandmaster now and not just plan ol' Jedi Master. Never mind that people like Yoda were 900 years old and more powerful then Luke and there are current Jedi in the Order that are more powerful then him but he still gets to make up his own title.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

gently caress I hate the ground combat in Empire At War. It is just plain awful. It is like they had some intern play Command and Conquer, some of the Total War games and several other stellar titles and asked him to report him back.

They picked some rear end in a top hat who hated RTS because that is the only logical way to explain the tedious nature of the games poorly designed mechanics.

I'm really not sure if I want to keep playing now. Solid work LA, truly a modern classic.

Slantedfloors
Apr 29, 2008

Wait, What?

SeanBeansShako posted:

They picked some rear end in a top hat who hated RTS because that is the only logical way to explain the tedious nature of the games poorly designed mechanics.

My "favourite" levels were the ones where you were just constantly inundated with native units. Literally, just hordes of poorly armed (and poorly rendered...) models flying toward your units, surrounding them, and firing constantly.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Slantedfloors posted:

My "favourite" levels were the ones where you were just constantly inundated with native units. Literally, just hordes of poorly armed (and poorly rendered...) models flying toward your units, surrounding them, and firing constantly.

gently caress fighting with and against those guys, they are the worst cannon fodder I have ever experinced in RTS gaming.

I personally find it mind boggling how easily your Infantry dies. Massive rear end Turbo Laser, annoying build pad anti-infantry lasers every goddamn vehicle that can move instantly kills them as it moves over them.

Not to mention the half assed defence upgrades and 'planetary condition effects'.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

The ground combat of Empire at War is especially appalling considering that the game was designed by Petroglyph, which is the company made from former Westwood Studios employees after EA shut down Westwood. The same people who made Command & Conquer are responsible for one of the worst ground-based combat games I've ever played.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Bonzo posted:

Ok so I see how thing runs in the Skywalker family now, you just assign yourself titles right?

Like how Luke is a Jedi Grandmaster now and not just plan ol' Jedi Master. Never mind that people like Yoda were 900 years old and more powerful then Luke and there are current Jedi in the Order that are more powerful then him but he still gets to make up his own title.

IIRC, either Yoda or Mace Windu was the Jedi Grandmaster during the prequels, it's just not said aloud in the movies.

Grandmaster also refers to the leader of the Council, not the most powerful Jedi.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Chairman Capone posted:

The ground combat of Empire at War is especially appalling considering that the game was designed by Petroglyph, which is the company made from former Westwood Studios employees after EA shut down Westwood. The same people who made Command & Conquer are responsible for one of the worst ground-based combat games I've ever played.

That is pretty depressing fact yeah. Empire At War should have gotten a lot more staff and development time as well a better engine licence.

I can't believe they went for a release without putting a Z-Axis in the space battles.

On that topic, gently caress those Tartan Cruisers so much. Why the hell haven't the Fighters got an evade skill so I don't have to micro micro manage my space battles?

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice
Command and Conquer was pretty terrible and was known as the spam-the-tanks gimmick RTS since LONG before EAW, so I'm not sure what you were expecting.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

arioch posted:

Command and Conquer was pretty terrible and was known as the spam-the-tanks gimmick RTS since LONG before EAW, so I'm not sure what you were expecting.

I wish Spam The Tanks would actually at least work in EAW. It doesn't, all the stuff under Tech 3 is hilariously rubbish.

Also, gently caress the EAW AI. Yeah sure Empire, keep building hundred of lame rear end tier 1 stuff in small groups and send them every five minutes instead of building your tech and fleet up enough so you can defend some of your worlds worth defending.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

SeanBeansShako posted:

I wish Spam The Tanks would actually at least work in EAW. It doesn't, all the stuff under Tech 3 is hilariously rubbish.

Also, gently caress the EAW AI. Yeah sure Empire, keep building hundred of lame rear end tier 1 stuff in small groups and send them every five minutes instead of building your tech and fleet up enough so you can defend some of your worlds worth defending.

I remember one game I played where, as the Rebels, I completely took over huge swaths of the Galaxy with extremely minimal resistance in space. I had huge gently caress off fleets of Mon Cal Cruisers and Star Destroyers (I forget how) and nothing could stand in my way. I always wondered what the gently caress the Imperials were doing since I NEVER saw any capital ships anywhere. Well, my question was answered when the Imperials were down to their last two planets, Courscant and Borleias, where I saw that they had about 300 Acclamator class starships split between the two planets.

I just quit the game because I didn't want to deal with that bullshit.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

If you were building Star Destroyers you might have been using a mod. Despite the cruddy rear end the game is it has a hell of a lot of mods.

I'm sort of watching Phoenix Rising and seeing what they can do to make Ground Combat less shite.

haitfais
Aug 7, 2005

I am offended by your ham, sir.

Big Mean Jerk posted:

IIRC, either Yoda or Mace Windu was the Jedi Grandmaster during the prequels, it's just not said aloud in the movies.

Grandmaster also refers to the leader of the Council, not the most powerful Jedi.

Yoda was the Grandmaster in the prequels. The criticism of Luke being Grandmaster is not because he pulled the title out of his rear end, but because he gave it to himself.

Edit: VVV Goddammit. That can't be unsaid now. You've ruined everything.

haitfais fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Aug 24, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

The alternative is Starkiller now.