Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

remote control carnivore
May 7, 2009

CmdrSmirnoff posted:

Are you seriously gonna do a taco stand?

My brother and I are starting up our meadworks. A hundred bucks of honey is ready to be alcoholized and if it doesn't poison us then we'll start selling; there's exactly 0 competition in the mead market here and hopefully it would at least bring in enough money to keep me from starving while looking for work. Definitely seems like a brighter future than getting rejected from jobs I'd hate doing anyway.

F'reals, yo. Hoping to go brick and mortar within 2-5 years (keeping the stand though. "There's money in the taco stand!") My supply lines are all taken care of, now I just have to do the dastardly paperwork. My out of work lawyer husband has something to do there at least.

There is actually a fairly successful meadery near where I am living now. Their product gets you pretty plowed. I bet you could sell to your fellow students like hotcakes.

PS former classmate of mine has branched into candlemaking. I'm trying to get her to drop out. She's too cool for (law) school.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

billion dollar bitch
Jul 20, 2005

To drink and fight.
To fuck all night.
Lawyer & Law School Megathread # 13: Color My Underpants Important

deathdrive83
Sep 21, 2002

Outside by the other worlds.
Oh dear god, I just got an offer from my 2L firm after being no offered last summer. I guess they have room for a new associate now. And right as my friends at all of the local collection agencies are threatening to take my to court for my medical bills.

This is the first time I've been relieved since I got accepted to that crappy TTT. Hopefully, the feeling isn't so naive this time.

billion dollar bitch
Jul 20, 2005

To drink and fight.
To fuck all night.
Congratulations!!!

Ersatz
Sep 17, 2005

deathdrive83 posted:

Oh dear god, I just got an offer from my 2L firm after being no offered last summer.
Awesome, congrats!

CmdrSmirnoff
Oct 27, 2005
happy happy happy happy happy happy happy happy happy

Omerta posted:

This was outside one of my professor's door today.

http://officespam.chattablogs.com/archives/2006/08/coloring-book-for-lawyers.html

Oh my god even my guitars are mahogany :gonk:

quote:

F'reals, yo. Hoping to go brick and mortar within 2-5 years (keeping the stand though. "There's money in the taco stand!") My supply lines are all taken care of, now I just have to do the dastardly paperwork. My out of work lawyer husband has something to do there at least.

There is actually a fairly successful meadery near where I am living now. Their product gets you pretty plowed. I bet you could sell to your fellow students like hotcakes.

PS former classmate of mine has branched into candlemaking. I'm trying to get her to drop out. She's too cool for (law) school.

I just wanted to take up a craft of some sort and mead-making is easier than blacksmithing. Creating something is infinitely more rewarding than writing a memo, and I felt more accomplished after soldering together an effects pedal than anything I've done in my years of school.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

CmdrSmirnoff posted:

Oh my god even my guitars are mahogany :gonk:

I just wanted to take up a craft of some sort and mead-making is easier than blacksmithing. Creating something is infinitely more rewarding than writing a memo, and I felt more accomplished after soldering together an effects pedal than anything I've done in my years of school.
picking fleas off a dog's dick with your mouth is infinitely more rewarding than writing a memo, you set the bar kind of low there

Defleshed
Nov 18, 2004

F is for... FREEDOM

Soothing Vapors posted:

picking fleas off a dog's dick with your mouth is infinitely more rewarding than writing a memo

Lots of great new possible thread titles today.

Tetrix
Aug 24, 2002

I might have asked this before, but... when spamming government employers via email with my cover letter, resume, and unofficial transcript, should I attach them as one .doc or .pdf or attach 3 separate documents?

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Soothing Vapors posted:

picking fleas off a dog's dick with your mouth is infinitely more rewarding than writing a memo, you set the bar kind of low there
I wrote a memo to the court (no, not a motion) that got an (alleged*) sex offender's case dropped. That was pretty rewarding.
You people just need to stop doing civil law.

*And I do mean alleged, he was actually likely innocent (a word i don't use lightly)

JudicialRestraints
Oct 26, 2007

Are you a LAWYER? Because I'll have you know I got GOOD GRADES in LAW SCHOOL last semester. Don't even try to argue THE LAW with me.

nm posted:

I wrote a memo to the court (no, not a motion) that got an (alleged*) sex offender's case dropped. That was pretty rewarding.

*And I do mean alleged, he was actually likely innocent (a word i don't use lightly)

You shouldn't have done that. He was probably guilty of something.

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004

maskenfreiheit fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Mar 19, 2013

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004
god i love circular logic

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

nm posted:

Congratulations!

nm posted:

JudicialRestraints posted:

You shouldn't have done that. He was probably guilty of something.

That's another nice thing about criminal law - guilt doesn't always mean you don't win.

A brief I wrote eight months ago finally bore fruit and my guy is no longer doing 80 years for the drugs that were in his backpack.

On the other hand, full, 'walk out of jail' victories like nm's are rare - my guy still owes 10 years for the case he was on probation for when he picked up his new case.

And I'd rather pick fleas off a dog's dick with my mouth than write the brief I'm working on now, so it's not all whores and hashish on the criminal side...
...but its still better than civil law

Lykourgos
Feb 17, 2010

by T. Finn

joat mon posted:

And I'd rather pick fleas off a dog's dick with my mouth than write the brief I'm working on now, so it's not all whores and hashish on the criminal side...

Look on the bright side, the brief has to end at some point. I just got done with the world's longest statement of facts, after the defendant's accomplice couldn't stop coming up with new versions of events. :suicide:

but, yes, people need to abandon civil law

EDIT: nnnn world's longest statement of facts just got replaced with world's longest trial record :negative:

Lykourgos fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Aug 24, 2010

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

joat mon posted:

Picking fleas off a dog's dick with your mouth is probably way more fun than answering discovery. Writing memos isn't too bad but discovery...ugh. Poodle penis please.

Roger_Mudd
Jul 18, 2003

Buglord
My Islamic Law Professor is a Chief Justice in Eygpt.

I wonder how the legal market is over there.

fougera
Apr 5, 2009
any advice for callback interviews?

believe it or not, serious post

Stunt Rock
Jul 28, 2002

DEATH WISH AT 120 DECIBELS
People who work in criminal law generally are generally much nicer because you see the same people constantly. That's not as common in civil law, unless you work in a niche market. Here, the nicest and most reasonable attorneys to deal with are usually involved in criminal work or family law.

GamingOdor
Jun 8, 2001
The stench of chips.

CmdrSmirnoff posted:

My brother and I are starting up our meadworks. A hundred bucks of honey is ready to be alcoholized and if it doesn't poison us then we'll start selling; there's exactly 0 competition in the mead market here and hopefully it would at least bring in enough money to keep me from starving while looking for work. Definitely seems like a brighter future than getting rejected from jobs I'd hate doing anyway.

I've actually been considering using my final semester's loans to start a meadery as well. I'm waiting to see if my 15 gallons of mango melomel tastes good or wipes out 1/3 of the school at the next bbq.

Defleshed
Nov 18, 2004

F is for... FREEDOM

blar posted:

I've actually been considering using my final semester's loans to start a meadery as well. I'm waiting to see if my 15 gallons of mango melomel tastes good or wipes out 1/3 of the school at the next bbq.

On the upside you're now supposedly trained to defend yourself against the inevitable lawsuits that follow when your classmates go blind from drinking your stuff.

Direwolf
Aug 16, 2004
Fwar
So, second day of orientation and I believe I've been told about 10 times in each activity that I will be learning to Think Like A Lawyer! I must admit, I'm a little bit nervous about the complete paradigm shift that's about to occur, but at least I know my $200,000 isn't going down the drain!

lemonadesweetheart
May 27, 2010

Hi guys, so my girlfriend and I were talking last month about how I should probably get my act together life wise and I figured I'd give law a chance. I'm more looking at a JD as a way of helping out with a potential future political career but I am also pretty interested in the potential of studying Sharia and how it pertains to western law. I might even consider doing some international law with this in mind but again it is more about helping me out with a future in the political arena.

Anyway, I've been doing some practice lsats for the last month with a view to taking the actual test in October and I've managed to bring myself up from low 140s to about a 151 average. I don't really have much of a problem with the test but I tend to get easily distracted. I still think I can do pretty good at it when it comes to the actual test though. I've only done about a dozen practices so far and I should really move on to timing them as well so I have it down.

I saw this place http://law.uark.edu/current/journals/journal-of-islamic-law-culture.html and it seems really good and focused on what I want but I also think that Fordham might be a better choice seeing as how I live much closer to it. Could I get some advice on any other good specialty programs that would provide a good political science focus and could I also get some advice on lsat stuff.

Adar
Jul 27, 2001

lemonadesweetheart posted:

Hi guys, so my girlfriend and I were talking last month about how I should probably get my act together life wise and I figured I'd give law a chance. I'm more looking at a JD as a way of helping out with a potential future political career but I am also pretty interested in the potential of studying Sharia and how it pertains to western law. I might even consider doing some international law with this in mind but again it is more about helping me out with a future in the political arena.

Anyway, I've been doing some practice lsats for the last month with a view to taking the actual test in October and I've managed to bring myself up from low 140s to about a 151 average. I don't really have much of a problem with the test but I tend to get easily distracted. I still think I can do pretty good at it when it comes to the actual test though. I've only done about a dozen practices so far and I should really move on to timing them as well so I have it down.

I saw this place http://law.uark.edu/current/journals/journal-of-islamic-law-culture.html and it seems really good and focused on what I want but I also think that Fordham might be a better choice seeing as how I live much closer to it. Could I get some advice on any other good specialty programs that would provide a good political science focus and could I also get some advice on lsat stuff.

6.5/10. Not too bad but the forum cancer and the LSAT give it away

entris
Oct 22, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Roger_Mudd posted:

My Islamic Law Professor is a Chief Justice in Eygpt.

I wonder how the legal market is over there.

Do they teach you how to hack off hands on-the-job or do you have to know that when you interview?

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

Hi guys, so my girlfriend and I were talking last month about how I should probably get my act together life wise and I figured I'd give law a chance. I'm more looking at a JD as a way of helping out with a potential future political career
if you want to be a politician, why are you going to law school? do something else with your life/time

law school "specialties" are unfortunately meaningless, no employer will give a poo poo. unless you're planning on working for a muslim community centre or something, no one on earth will be impressed that you were on the journal of sharia law or whatever. Law Review > Any Secondary Journal

basically: don't go to law school at all. the legal job market is dire, you'd be better off in any other field. especially don't go if you're rocking a 151. if your choices are some random shitholes like Fordham, UArk or, let's say, Duke, then the better choice is "just don't go"

lemonadesweetheart
May 27, 2010

Adar posted:

6.5/10. Not too bad but the forum cancer and the LSAT give it away

I'm not sure what you mean by the LSAT thing but I know I'm not at 170 or anything but I don't really need it to be 170. As for the forum cancer thing, I posted in lf. Big deal, I'm not sure what that has to do with my post here.

entris posted:

Do they teach you how to hack off hands on-the-job or do you have to know that when you interview?

Okay maybe this isn't the place I should be posting then, I thought this was a somewhat non-retard thread.

MaximumBob
Jan 15, 2006

You're moving who to the bullpen?

Stunt Rock posted:

People who work in criminal law generally are generally much nicer because you see the same people constantly. That's not as common in civil law, unless you work in a niche market. Here, the nicest and most reasonable attorneys to deal with are usually involved in criminal work or family law.

Tax is a pretty small community, and every private practitioner in a city basically goes up against the same office every case. Yet a decent number of them try to pull all kinds of underhanded poo poo.

lemonadesweetheart
May 27, 2010

Soothing Vapors posted:

if you want to be a politician, why are you going to law school? do something else with your life/time
law school "specialties" are unfortunately meaningless, no employer will give a poo poo. unless you're planning on working for a muslim community centre or something, no one on earth will be impressed that you were on the journal of sharia law or whatever. Law Review > Any Secondary Journal

basically: don't go to law school at all. the legal job market is dire, you'd be better off in any other field. especially don't go if you're rocking a 151. if your choices are some random shitholes like Fordham, UArk or, let's say, Duke, then the better choice is "just don't go"

Thanks for the somewhat serious post I guess.

The reason I'm doing this is because I'm interested in the legal field but with a view to working in the political arena. I'm not looking to actually be a politician though and I think a JD would be important for working policy. I'm mostly interested in Middle Eastern stuff which is why I talked about the focus. Besides there are plenty of folks currently in the political arena who have JD's.

It seems like you pretty much vindicated what I said there so I am definitely going to consider the UArk one. I'd be interested in hearing from the other guy who mentioned his Islamic course too.

I am kinda worried about the job market which is why I think it's important not to be totally resolved on being a lawyer. I figured if it came up I could do it but if it didn't work out then at least a JD would be handy in other fields. It's also one of the reasons I think it's more important to specialize in something that isn't just law. I also took a look at this and it seems to bear out that specialization is important. http://grad-schools.usnews.rankingsandreviews.com/best-graduate-schools/top-law-schools

Like I said a little bit ago, I don't really care about going to Harvard so I'm not really that bothered if my LSATs seem a little low relatively. That's why I'm looking for help here even though at the end of the day though, everyone still just has a JD so I'm not sure why you guys are so elitist about where they come from.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Adar
Jul 27, 2001

Soothing Vapors posted:

upgrading to 7.5/10 just for this post

Direwolf
Aug 16, 2004
Fwar

Thanks for the somewhat serious post I guess.

The reason I'm doing this is because I'm interested in the legal field but with a view to working in the political arena. I'm not looking to actually be a politician though and I think a JD would be important for working policy. I'm mostly interested in Middle Eastern stuff which is why I talked about the focus. Besides there are plenty of folks currently in the political arena who have JD's.

It seems like you pretty much vindicated what I said there so I am definitely going to consider the UArk one. I'd be interested in hearing from the other guy who mentioned his Islamic course too.

I am kinda worried about the job market which is why I think it's important not to be totally resolved on being a lawyer. I figured if it came up I could do it but if it didn't work out then at least a JD would be handy in other fields. It's also one of the reasons I think it's more important to specialize in something that isn't just law. I also took a look at this and it seems to bear out that specialization is important. http://grad-schools.usnews.rankingsandreviews.com/best-graduate-schools/top-law-schools

Like I said a little bit ago, I don't really care about going to Harvard so I'm not really that bothered if my LSATs seem a little low relatively. That's why I'm looking for help here even though at the end of the day though, everyone still just has a JD so I'm not sure why you guys are so elitist about where they come from.

There are degrees in policy, you know, they are called "Masters of Public Policy", it's right there in the title.

IrritationX
May 5, 2004

Bitch, what you don't know about me I can just about squeeze in the Grand fucking Canyon.
If you're serious, you should only go to law school to specifically be a lawyer. Not a lawyer-politician, not a lawyer-whatever, but a lawyer only. Law school serves no other purpose, and barely serves that one.

Your options are very limited, and you're going to end up paying sticker no matter where you go. If you go to law school, 1) Go to the best school you can 2) in the region you want to work in as a lawyer 3) as cheaply as possible. If you're going to a low-ranked school and paying sticker, do not go to law school, period.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
Don't go to law school buttnugget

entris
Oct 22, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

this isn't the place I should be posting

Hey at least you got one thing right!

Seriously though, with your LSAT scores, you are looking at a huge amount of debt for a very low chance of success. All of the stuff you mentioned is classic troll material, which should tell you one of two things: 1) if you are a troll, you are a boring one who is playing the same cliches we get from other trolls and 2) if you are genuine, your reasons for going to law school are incredibly terrible and not at all a good idea, to the point where we actually think you are a troll rather than believe you are a genuine person because a genuine person would read the OP and then never post the sort of terrible thinking that you posted.

TL;DR: do not go to law school for the reasons you have posted, especially with a 150s LSAT.

Roger_Mudd
Jul 18, 2003

Buglord

entris posted:

He said we might have misconceptions about Islamic criminal law but once we learn about it we might change our minds. Unless those stoning/lashings/dismemberments turn out to be a huge joke, I'm not sure my mind will change.

remote control carnivore
May 7, 2009

Save me jeebus posted:

Update on my non-law school life:

I live in an RV in my best friend's spacious yard, right next to the Colorado river. I just plowed my savings into a taco stand startup.

I am already more successful than 95% of law students.

hth

Lykourgos
Feb 17, 2010

by T. Finn
:laffo: @ your troll, lemonade

That's why I'm looking for help here even though at the end of the day though, everyone still just has a JD so I'm not sure why you guys are so elitist about where they come from.

Nobody is being elitist; Harvard is just as poo poo as Cooley, they're not fooling anybody here. Actually, Cooley is probably a fair sight better than Harvard. The point that people are trying to make, however, is that employers will pee pee and doo doo on you if you go to a tttoilet school like UArk or duke

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender
Formerly Diplomaticus/SWATJester

CaptainScraps posted:

Picking fleas off a dog's dick with your mouth is probably way more fun than answering discovery. Writing memos isn't too bad but discovery...ugh. Poodle penis please.

Lawyer & Law School Megathread #12: Poodle penis please.

JudicialRestraints
Oct 26, 2007

Are you a LAWYER? Because I'll have you know I got GOOD GRADES in LAW SCHOOL last semester. Don't even try to argue THE LAW with me.
In case you guys missed it, Lemonade was talking about moving from the New York area to go to U Arkansas to study Islamic culture.

I'd give it at least an 8 out of 10.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sigmachiev
Dec 31, 2007

Fighting blood excels
Got my first BigLaw rejection letter today! I am one with the brotherhood now.

That interview sucked on both ends so whatever, today was better and for better spots anyway.