Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

LeftyChris posted:

Quater turn throttle and sexy thumb lever action!

So is the thumb lever for the front brakes?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cheesebot
Jul 21, 2002

I cheesebot

LeftyChris posted:

Haha Rev you're hardcore!

Project Busa is complete!

I gotta tell you, a couple of weeks ago I was riding home from Nova Scotia and I was on the Kancamagus Trail on New Hampshire. I had hurt myself in a fall in Nova Scotia a week earlier (turns out I fractured my right scapula - see crash thread) and I found it difficult to do "the wave" at all the bikers on the trail. I found myself thinking "Wow, I wonder if oncoming bikers get offended that LeftyChris doesn't wave back." Then I said "Wait a minute, LeftyChris is so loving hardcore I bet he DOES wave!"

LeftyChris
Mar 28, 2010

KARMA! posted:

How do you get such a swank lookin' left hand setup? Thing looks original!
Danny Mac over at http://www.justmotorcycles.net/ does all my conversions for me,him and Phil are a great pair of mechanics,i'd be lost without them!

2ndclasscitizen! posted:

So is the thumb lever for the front brakes?
Thumb lever does my back brake,foot break does my front.I find it works better for me,easier to perform emergency stops,swerve around myopic cagers/pedestrians(which was a daily occurrence when I dispatch rode around central london!) if all my hand has to worry about is the clutch while my foot anchors on the front brake

cheesebot posted:

do "the wave"
Ha cheesebot wavings easy,however trying to take a picture is another matter...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FttZ6sV3HYw

Hey walkin dude why isn't your girl on the 250?

elsanto
Apr 6, 2004

Mcqueen posted:

Sup blue FZ6 buddy. :respek:

Can't decide if I like the black frame better than the silver frame, but the nakedized black frames look awesome. Hint, hint.

Blue FZ6 army! Too bad Yamaha won't sell them in the States anymore. I was in Sicily in May, and every other bike in Palermo was a naked Fizzer. Hardly saw any Ducatis, which was weird.

elsanto fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Jul 30, 2010

OrangeFurious
Oct 14, 2005

Ce n'est pas une St. Furious.

the walkin dude posted:

Me on my SV.

Girlfriend stuck in a car.

About a trillion years ago Z3n and I met up in Malibu. I described being stuck behind a pack of squids who seemed to think basketball shorts and knee-pads were good gear. I don't know that I got my point across, but I described the effect as being like gang-bangers in mini-skirts and hooker boots.

Z3n - this is exactly what I was talking about.

snail
Sep 25, 2008

CHEESE!
I just realised I've never posted a picture of my repainted track bike. tl;dr, I picked up a ex-HRC race bike from the Australian SuperBike series, raced by a guy that is now in the BSB. I asked my brother to repair and repaint the fairings a flat white. He runs a vinyl cutting business for a bit of extra pocket money and came back with...

On a warm up lap

Later in the day when the instructor let us have a bit more fun

the walkin dude
Oct 27, 2004

powerfully erect.
I felt like being extra squiddy that day. I had just gone swimming and it was 95 degree heat and I was being slammed (sensitive to heat myself). All about the percentage and management of risk, right? :downswords:

I don't feel comfortable riding without kneepads anyway.

schreibs
Oct 11, 2009

the walkin dude posted:

I felt like being extra squiddy that day. I had just gone swimming and it was 95 degree heat and I was being slammed (sensitive to heat myself). All about the percentage and management of risk, right? :downswords:

I don't feel comfortable riding without kneepads anyway.

To be fair they dont look like they cover your knee.

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

I tried to take a few pictures when I went to NYC last weekend. These were about as good as I could do in a dimly lit area with a point and shoot.

Click here for the full 1944x1458 image.

And here's most of the lovely group I went with

Oh, and riding an air-cooled V-Twin through New York City is a terrible idea, but not as terrible as trying to ride a Boss Hoss.

the walkin dude
Oct 27, 2004

powerfully erect.

schreibs posted:

To be fair they dont look like they cover your knee.

They were slipping down, yeah. I need new knee guards.

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

CANADA DOESN'T GET PENS LIKE THIS

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made American Products. Bitch.
My first bike, I bought it about a week ago, 1986 750 Honda Shadow

SeamusMcPhisticuffs
Aug 2, 2006

republicans.bmp
I've been waiting too damned long to post in this thread, so back to page 1 with you.

My first working bike:

2002 BMW F650 Dakar.

PO put half the Touratech catalog on it. 11k miles for $2500.

cheesebot
Jul 21, 2002

I cheesebot

SeamusMcPhisticuffs posted:

Wow that sounds like a smoking deal, and I thought I got my '01 for cheap.

redscare
Aug 14, 2003

I've been waiting too damned long to post in this thread, so back to page 1 with you.

My first working bike:

2002 BMW F650 Dakar.

Highway robbery is what that is

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

YOU CANNOT MAKE A MISTAKE SO BIG THAT 80 GRIT CAN'T FIX IT!
:smug:

2002 BMW F650 Dakar.

Did you at least give the man a kiss?

Tsaven Nava
Dec 31, 2008

by elpintogrande

2002 BMW F650 Dakar.

You bastard. I thought I got a steal on my '04 Wee-strom at $3500, and it had 48k miles

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer
Found some old pictures from my makeover of my last bike!

Before:

After:

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
Oh man, what'd you hit...that front wheel is hosed.

FuzzyWuzzyBear
Sep 8, 2003

And it looks like a two thousand person attempted to sit on the pillion seat.

Scrapez
Feb 27, 2004

Rear Ended and smashed into the car in front of you?

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Being stupid and overconfident. Cut corners through a relatively open right-left hander. Coming out of the left-hander I was on the wrong side of the road when a car came in the other direction.

I tried to whip it over to the right side of the road, but I didn't have time (or strength, I'm kind of wimpy and that fucker clocked in at 600 pounds wet) to point the bike in the right direction again, so I went off the road on the right side at about 35 mph. There wasn't any big ditches of anything, just rough ground, so while I made what would have on road been a very gentle left turn the bike was bucking like crazy. I was just getting the bike going back towards the road, and I remember thinking “I might even survive this”, which also is the last thing I remember from the crash itself, apart from the feeling that a giant spring just had ejected me into the air and away from the bike a millisecond later.

Since I can't remember the rest, this is just guesswork, but my front wheel probably hit a rock (hard enough to make a dent that couldn't pass between the forks later), flipping forward and throwing me off in the process. The bike landed on its tail before flipping over and landing on its nose. I landed in a röjningsröse (basically a collection of rocks), breaking my pelvis in two places, shattering my tail bone into at least three pieces and breaking my scaphoid bone. Thanks to for dumbfuck luck and my back protector, there wasn't any damage to the spinal cord (and as I understood it the spinal cord exits the vertebral column higher up).

My dad was riding with me (on the red 750 you can glimpse in the photos), but since I was an rear end I had gotten ahead of him quite a bit, so he just saw me right before I flipped. I can clearly remember looking up at the trees and screaming my rear end off, yet my dad told me later that he was so loving scared because I was just laying there, completely silent.

He sold his bike and didn't ride for three years after that... :smith:

redscare
Aug 14, 2003
What is it with all this talk of broken pelvises in CA lately, jesus christ

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
That's got to be the worst thing ever, to come around a corner and see your son lying on the ground after crashing his motorcycle, not moving or doing anything. :(

If you don't mind sharing, what was recovery/etc like? How quickly did you get back on bikes?

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Z3n posted:

If you don't mind sharing, what was recovery/etc like? How quickly did you get back on bikes?

Recovery was painful, but I didn't need any surgery at all. The pelvis fractures where apparently so called “stable fractures” or whatever they called it, meaning no surgery was needed and all I got was some reeeeeally strong painkillers and a couple of crutches. The tail bone? No idea, nothing was done about it either. For about five weeks it hurt like a motherfucker to walk and sit. I took the painkillers the first week, but since I have an uncle who got addicted a couple of years back, I was afraid and stopped taking them after that.

After about six weeks, I didn't feel a thing from the pelvis or tail bone and could get around without crutches. But six weeks of crutches had made me notice that my left wrist hurt sometimes, so they did an x-ray when I was there for a follow-up, and then they discovered my broken scaphoid bone. By that time, it had begun to develop pseudo arthritis (meaning the fracture, unable to heal, had started to become encapsulated, preventing a normal healing), so they had to operate and put in a two inch long Herbert screw, and then a cast on top of that. Convalescence time for that? Five loving months. To this day I have absolutely no pain or anything to indicate I ever broke my pelvis but my left wrist hurts when I bump it into poo poo, and when I twist it too hard (like when I turn a knob or something).

After that, I kind of quit motorbikes. This was in 2007, and until March 21 this year I hadn't even sat on a motorbike since the accident. I was so tense that day (March 21), that my shoulders and arms ached after ten minutes. Not the best way to go about riding, especially not since it was raining quite a lot that day, but hey, I got over it. Before I did my 1700 mile trip to Norway, I had less than 300 miles under my belt since the accident.

So now I ride again, and my dad bought an old Kawasaki two months ago. :unsmith:

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Well, welcome back :) Sorry that your first trip back on the bike was so lovely.

I'm absolutely dreading the day that I crash and break one of my wrists, they're already pretty hosed up from years of abuse and any additional damage is going to do a number on them. :sigh:

FuzzyWuzzyBear
Sep 8, 2003

I broke my left wrist last year in May while lowsiding on my Maxim. It broke on either side of the bone that connects the wrist to the forearm (think of it as a "U," with either point of the U having a fracture). Only had a 6 week recovery time and just a cast, no surgery. It nows functions normally, including stuff like weightlifting and pushups.

MrZig
Aug 13, 2005
I exist onl because of Parias'
LEGENDARY GENEROSITY.

Nidhg00670000 posted:

My dad was riding with me (on the red 750 you can glimpse in the photos), but since I was an rear end I had gotten ahead of him quite a bit, so he just saw me right before I flipped. I can clearly remember looking up at the trees and screaming my rear end off, yet my dad told me later that he was so loving scared because I was just laying there, completely silent.

He sold his bike and didn't ride for three years after that...:smith:

...3 years later...

Nidhg00670000 posted:

So now I ride again, and my dad bought an old Kawasaki two months ago. :unsmith:

This made me feel so :unsmith: my eyes got a little watery. I hope you and your dad ride together for a long time. :)

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

Nidhg00670000 posted:

The tail bone? No idea, nothing was done about it either. For about five weeks it hurt like a motherfucker to walk and sit.

Broken tailbones are like broken little toes. They can't really put a cast on it so unless there are complications, they just let it go and give you pain killers.

Glad everything worked out in the end (no pun intended). :)

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Doctor Zero posted:

Broken tailbones are like broken little toes. They can't really put a cast on it so unless there are complications, they just let it go and give you pain killers.

Glad everything worked out in the end (no pun intended). :)

And unfortunately, broken pelvises have three results:

1 - The fracture is stable so you take painkillers and basically walk it off.
2 - You die from rupturing the iliac vein. This usually happens in less than 2 hours.
3 - The fracture is more of a shatter and you have to get a plate put in and be unable to walk for 3 months plus suffer from horrible arthritis for the rest of your life, or until you get a hip replacement, whichever comes first.

Like an rear end in a top hat, I opted for choice 3 instead of 1.

Nidhg00670000 posted:

So now I ride again, and my dad bought an old Kawasaki two months ago.

Glad to hear you're recovered and back on the road!

Imperador do Brasil fucked around with this message at 13:57 on Aug 21, 2010

NoDoorway
Jul 31, 2007

I never had a doorway
Soiled Meat
That is horrible. Yay for being back in the saddle though.

In other news, I got a new thing:

:v:

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back
My motorcycle does it with two too!

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

about goddamn time. Now I have to come back up and try to drop that bike too. :argh:

redscare
Aug 14, 2003
Guys...I've been to the promised land of nearly 1000 cc of displacement...and I'm afraid there's no going back...

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

So how do you like it? :haw:

redscare
Aug 14, 2003

Z3n posted:

So how do you like it? :haw:

TOOOOOOOOOOOORRRRRRQQQQQQQUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUE

HOLY poo poo SO MUCH TORQUE

I had such a stupid grin on my face when I pulled up to my condo. Need to get used to the sporty riding position again, but otherwise, :hellyeah:

The chain needs to be tightened up, but dude put brand new Michelin Pilot Roads on it. Can't wait to take it out more once I get it registered/insured.

Marv Hushman
Jun 2, 2010

Freedom Ain't Free
:911::911::911:
Ride it like you stole it, because you DID. Nice find, nice price, nice everything. Congrats.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar

redscare posted:

TOOOOOOOOOOOORRRRRRQQQQQQQUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUE

HOLY poo poo SO MUCH TORQUE

I had such a stupid grin on my face when I pulled up to my condo. Need to get used to the sporty riding position again, but otherwise, :hellyeah:

The chain needs to be tightened up, but dude put brand new Michelin Pilot Roads on it. Can't wait to take it out more once I get it registered/insured.

Oh boy now I have a bike buddy on the forums.

My $.02 on the bike.
Crank up the preload a bunch on the shock it raises the ride height and the shock is pretty mushy and it can handle it. I've got it about 2/3 of the way down the threads. Also most people drop the forks in the triples a fair amount. I'll check sometime and tell you on irc.

Helibars are a worthwhile investment if you plan to tour and buell footpegs can be made to fit which give you a bit more legroom.

Don't bother trying to find hardbags that work. I have a givi bag that I got working but it was a pain. The tank is plastic so you need a strap on tank bag if you want to use one.

This is a cool resource for the bike:
http://home.comcast.net/~sl_mille/

Someone made a cheat sheet for setting all the poo poo and functions on the dash. I printed it out and homebrew laminated it with packing tape and stuff it in the trunk. It's totally not intuitive to use but there are lots of cool functions like average speed and top speed.

second best sponge
Jun 13, 2003

I'm from Cleveland :tinsley:
This is my 98 Katana.

I want to get her naked, and maybe streetfight her out, turn her into my parking lot stunt bike. Once I sell my car I'm getting a GSXR 750.

second best sponge fucked around with this message at 04:59 on Aug 26, 2010

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

You are going to absolutely rape the christ out of those forks if you turn it into a parking lot stunter. But it'd be fun anyways.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, I know it's not a grand collection like Z3n has or anything, but it's already starting to feel crowded in there...

GSX600F, XJ650, CBR1000F.