Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JudicialRestraints
Oct 26, 2007

Are you a LAWYER? Because I'll have you know I got GOOD GRADES in LAW SCHOOL last semester. Don't even try to argue THE LAW with me.

sigmachiev posted:

Got my first BigLaw rejection letter today! I am one with the brotherhood now.

That interview sucked on both ends so whatever, today was better and for better spots anyway.

sup bro.

Of course you jumped ship to a real school so you have more chances at biglaw. I only have like 6 real interviews and I've already got one rejection.

Is E&J Brandy the proper brand to drink my woes away with?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neon Belly
Feb 12, 2008

I need something stronger.

Neon Belly fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Aug 1, 2016

CmdrSmirnoff
Oct 27, 2005
happy happy happy happy happy happy happy happy happy

JudicialRestraints posted:

Brandy's a good choice. I've been rocking a bottle of St. Remy the last couple of days.

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

1st Sgt. Matthews and the men have Procured for me a cummerbund from a traveling gypsy, who screeched Victory shall come at a Terrible price. i am Honored.

Normally no, but Wisconsinites get a free pass when it comes to brandy, since they consume about 14% of the nation's supply.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Abugadu posted:

Normally no, but Wisconsinites get a free pass when it comes to brandy, since they consume about 14% of the nation's supply.

I would imagine that Wisconsinites consume 14% of the worlds alcohol.

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

1st Sgt. Matthews and the men have Procured for me a cummerbund from a traveling gypsy, who screeched Victory shall come at a Terrible price. i am Honored.

nm posted:

I would imagine that Wisconsinites consume 14% of the worlds alcohol.

They did just recently revise their DUI laws, so that there's the potential of jail time for third-time offenders.

First time is still just a violation, though.

JudicialRestraints
Oct 26, 2007

Are you a LAWYER? Because I'll have you know I got GOOD GRADES in LAW SCHOOL last semester. Don't even try to argue THE LAW with me.

Abugadu posted:

They did just recently revise their DUI laws, so that there's the potential of jail time for third-time offenders.

That's only for the third time when the small town cop doesn't just take your keys and drive you home without worrying about any of that 'paperwork.'

Solomon Grundy
Feb 10, 2007

Born on a Monday

Oh, the mighty Erk & Jerk. Roll on.

Defleshed
Nov 18, 2004

F is for... FREEDOM

That's only for the third time when the small town cop doesn't just take your keys and drive you home without worrying about any of that 'paperwork.'

Haha I am from small-town Michigan and this exact thing happened to me when I was in high school around 1994...

I was driving my dads truck down a back road, with the door open, puking out of it while I drove. I was hammered off of MD 20/20. County cop pulled me over, asked if I "felt allright", told him no I was a bit under the weather. His partner drove my dad's truck home, knocked on the door and woke up my dad to tell him I was back, said good night and left.

Small towns own.

J Miracle
Mar 25, 2010
It took 32 years, but I finally figured out push-ups!
So my boss is kind of a persnickety dude, he's a solo practicioner that does mostly torts and some business contract dispute stuff. He's been in a real pissy mood lately and things haven't been going real great around work. The problem I have is that he hasn't yet written me my letter for federal clerkship apps, and I'm concerned that if he's not in a good mood he won't do it. Would it make my already marginal chances any more marginal to use a backup letter I have from my writing professor who I TA'd for? That would make all three of my letters from faculty (one from an Associate Dean who I had five classes with and TA'd for and gave me multiple "jurisprudence awards", one from an adjunct clinic professor who is also a high-up in the State Appellate Defender's Office, and one from this writing professor). Is that better/worse/no difference/who-the-gently caress-cares-you're-not-getting-a-clerkship than 2 letters from faculty and one from my current employer?

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Abugadu posted:

Wow, I expect riots if they enforce that.

Feces Starship
Nov 11, 2008

in the great green room
goodnight moon

Defleshed posted:

Haha I am from small-town Michigan and this exact thing happened to me when I was in high school around 1994...

I was driving my dads truck down a back road, with the door open, puking out of it while I drove. I was hammered off of MD 20/20. County cop pulled me over, asked if I "felt allright", told him no I was a bit under the weather. His partner drove my dad's truck home, knocked on the door and woke up my dad to tell him I was back, said good night and left.

Small towns own.

wait wait wait we got into a fight one time about whether or not Grand Rapids sucks. you were part of the "sucks" camp and i opposed you

what high school did you go to?

poofactory
May 6, 2003

by T. Finn

J Miracle posted:

So my boss is kind of a persnickety dude, he's a solo practicioner that does mostly torts and some business contract dispute stuff. He's been in a real pissy mood lately and things haven't been going real great around work. The problem I have is that he hasn't yet written me my letter for federal clerkship apps, and I'm concerned that if he's not in a good mood he won't do it. Would it make my already marginal chances any more marginal to use a backup letter I have from my writing professor who I TA'd for? That would make all three of my letters from faculty (one from an Associate Dean who I had five classes with and TA'd for and gave me multiple "jurisprudence awards", one from an adjunct clinic professor who is also a high-up in the State Appellate Defender's Office, and one from this writing professor). Is that better/worse/no difference/who-the-gently caress-cares-you're-not-getting-a-clerkship than 2 letters from faculty and one from my current employer?

write it for him and ask him to sign it.

Defleshed
Nov 18, 2004

F is for... FREEDOM

Feces Starship posted:

wait wait wait we got into a fight one time about whether or not Grand Rapids sucks. you were part of the "sucks" camp and i opposed you

what high school did you go to?

That may have been a couple years ago when I was still a new Chicagoan and was all "BIG CITIES OWN, loving OWN"

Grand Rapids still does kind of suck, mostly for the fact that it is controlled by the Christian Reformed Church and the Amway families.

I went to high school in Allendale, out in the cow pastures by GVSU.

JudicialRestraints
Oct 26, 2007

J Miracle posted:

My understanding is that Federal Clerkships are a magical land where academic references are actually preferred over anything as mundane and plebian as an actual WORK reference. Don't let them see the dirt under your nails, have the prof. write it.

Jove
Jun 18, 2004

He doesn't come to us...we go to him...BOW DOWN, SLAVE.
Flying out to HLS tomorrow. Freakin' the gently caress out! Any HLS goons out there? Helpful tips?

I've been living on the West Coast for five years. Will I be shocked (shocked!) by the more intense and bitchy attitudes there? Are HLS students as horrible as some say they are?

IrritationX
May 5, 2004

Bitch, what you don't know about me I can just about squeeze in the Grand fucking Canyon.

Jove posted:

Flying out to HLS tomorrow. Freakin' the gently caress out! Any HLS goons out there? Helpful tips?

I've been living on the West Coast for five years. Will I be shocked (shocked!) by the more intense and bitchy attitudes there? Are HLS students as horrible as some say they are?

One of the coolest people I've ever known is a 2L at Harvard. I might be able to put you two in contact.

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.

Jove posted:

HLS' reputation as a place for sociopathic gunners is mostly a product of students at other top tier law schools trying to find reasons not to feel disappointed about not getting in.

It's law school, so it's not going to be cuddly because the American law school model is not built in a way to give you College Pt. II. However, from my experience with lots of HLS students, people at HLS are more likely to be secure about themselves, much more relaxed around other law students in general, and aren't going to view every classmate as a potential enemy.

Honestly, I think it's probably students at the lower ranked schools you have to be worried about. Everything said about HLS students actually happens at those places.

JudicialRestraints
Oct 26, 2007

TyChan posted:

HLS' reputation as a place for sociopathic gunners is mostly a product of students at other top tier law schools trying to find reasons not to feel disappointed about not getting in.

It's law school, so it's not going to be cuddly because the American law school model is not built in a way to give you College Pt. II. However, from my experience with lots of HLS students, people at HLS are more likely to be secure about themselves, much more relaxed around other law students in general, and aren't going to view every classmate as a potential enemy.

Honestly, I think it's probably students at the lower ranked schools you have to be worried about. Everything said about HLS students actually happens at those places.

This is pretty much right. I mean if you only need to be top 50 or something ridiculous like top 75 why work hard? Down here at rank 28 you apparently need to be top 15 to even have a shot at NLJ 250 let alone a Vault Firm. Sociopathic gunning gets intense in that environment.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

TyChan posted:

It's law school, so it's not going to be cuddly because the American law school model is not built in a way to give you College Pt. II.
Law School is high school pt2. Instead of jocks, you have law review editors.

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Leading us to the promised land (i.e., one tournament win in five years)
Grand Rapids would be awesome if there were any jobs and if there weren't any jesus freaks there.

ewr2870
May 8, 2007

Jove posted:

It's awesome. Relax.

People are very rarely horrible in the Paper Chase sense. There are a lot of people who are extremely socially awkward, but the school is big enough that you'll be able to find a large group of people who are well-adjusted, funny, and brilliant. You're going to love it.

HooKars
Feb 22, 2006
Comeon!

nm posted:

UVA actually still has jocks and they are still the cool kids.

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

For who knows what is good for a person in life, during the few and meaningless days they pass through like a shadow? Who can tell them what will happen under the sun after they are gone?
Cambridge is wonderful too, if that helps.

If you ever end up hating HLS then you can spend plenty of time outside of it.

The weather may be a shock, though, depending on where you're from. At least you're not flying out today in this goddamn rain.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Petey posted:

Cambridge is wonderful too, if that helps.

If you ever end up hating HLS then you can spend plenty of time outside of it.

The weather may be a shock, though, depending on where you're from. At least you're not flying out today in this goddamn rain.

I flew in from Michigan yesterday and my plane got delayed by two hours. I nearly missed the Red line and had to take a cab because of it. One of these days I'm going to get around to finishing that weather machine and we won't have these problems anymore

I will, however, use it to make it rain perpetually on HLS

Incredulous Red
Mar 25, 2008

Anyone recommend a good evidence supplement?

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

HooKars posted:

UVA actually still has jocks and they are still the cool kids.

I always wanted a NGSL jersey.

Have you started working yet?

Jove
Jun 18, 2004

He doesn't come to us...we go to him...BOW DOWN, SLAVE.
Thanks for all the advice, guys. You're all probably right and I'll become acclimated given enough time.

I'm moving from Portland, OR so I doubt the weather will shock me.

HooKars
Feb 22, 2006
Comeon!

TyChan posted:

Have you started working yet?

Nope, one more weekend left of freedom - I start on Monday

billion dollar bitch
Jul 20, 2005

To drink and fight.
To fuck all night.
Yay I got another callback through email spamming places that didn't interview with us!

echopapa
Jun 2, 2005

El Presidente smiles upon this thread.

nm posted:

No, no, law school is junior high.

Tetrix
Aug 24, 2002

3 interviews today. The one with the big firm had two guys. One of the guys spent the entire time checking his Blackberry and looking up at me occasionally. Not expecting a call back.

Bro Enlai
Nov 9, 2008

TyChan posted:

spent 1L year drawing comics about federal judges being huge jerks, got straight P's, feelin' fine

(not really)

e: seriously get out and talk to some people you goon, even the gunners are relatively personable here

Bro Enlai fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Aug 26, 2010

billion dollar bitch
Jul 20, 2005

To drink and fight.
To fuck all night.
Do firms still do callbacks after labor day?

srsly
Aug 1, 2003

fougera posted:

any advice for callback interviews?

believe it or not, serious post

You should know this by now, but:

Firm has already decided you are smart enough to work for them. Callback is about if you are cool enough to work for them. Or as one partner put it to me, "Could I stand to be stuck in an airport in Cleveland for 12 straight hours with this person?" Maybe some rear end in a top hat associate will ask you a substantive legal question. That happened to me. Once. gently caress that guy.

Be cool, show an interest in the firm and the people interviewing you. Be prepared to talk about your interests or outside hobbies. The ideal callback interview should feel like you just met several new people in succession at a frat party and successfully shot the poo poo with each of them.

Questions you ask should be stuff like "How does summer work get assigned around here?" Or "What's you're favorite experience from working here at the firm in the last year?" Or "What programs does the firm have in place for associate development?" or some poo poo like that. No mushy questions about work-life balance.

Be expected to be asked about who else you have callbacks with. Come up with a convincing lie that makes you sound desirable if the real answer is "You're my only hope."

Ersatz
Sep 17, 2005

billion dollar bitch posted:

Yep.

fougera
Apr 5, 2009

Yay I got another callback through email spamming places that didn't interview with us!

aren't you at CLS? is it that brutal?

I mean, its pretty bad down here at GULC...

J Miracle
Mar 25, 2010
It took 32 years, but I finally figured out push-ups!
Said gently caress it yesterday and applied to clerk for Easterbrook, I've got a decent shot right?

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

U.Va.'s Career Services Dean said that you usually shouldn't worry until about October.

You might want to take that with a grain of salt, though. That was back in the relatively halcion days of 2002.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Draile
May 6, 2004

forlorn llama
I once got a callback by mail that showed up a few weeks after OCI, but for the most part if I hadn't heard anything within a few days of the interview that meant I wasn't getting a callback.