Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

TeMpLaR posted:

So - thoughts?

Edit: My STI post wingstration

If only you were in Australia, I want a STI big wing and offer to buy it off you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dphi
Jul 9, 2001

allonblack posted:

Dick Hannah meetup and Cobb meetup this weekend for you Portland-ish folks. Who's going?

poo poo, I'm going to be in Eugene this weekend.

TeMpLaR
Jan 13, 2001

"Not A Crook"

Cat Terrist posted:

If only you were in Australia, I want a STI big wing and offer to buy it off you

Bummer - I am going to sell the entire old trunk + Wing Combo so someone can just drop it in too. I can only imagine how much shipping is going to be on something like that.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

TeMpLaR posted:

Bummer - I am going to sell the entire old trunk + Wing Combo so someone can just drop it in too. I can only imagine how much shipping is going to be on something like that.

Probably not a much as we might think, we source smaller parts from the USA all the time. Baby Hitler might know. Where in the USA are you?

TeMpLaR
Jan 13, 2001

"Not A Crook"

Cat Terrist posted:

Probably not a much as we might think, we source smaller parts from the USA all the time. Baby Hitler might know. Where in the USA are you?

I'm at 12210 - Albany, NY

Amandyke
Nov 27, 2004

A wha?

TeMpLaR posted:

I'm at 12210 - Albany, NY

I must be doing something wrong, but I got a quote from UPS for $1,300 and from DHL for $826.

Assuming 15 lb shipment, 36"x18"x24"

SaabFanatic
Aug 25, 2010

by Ozma

Amandyke posted:

You've been raped on oversized shipments for the last decade - but the last few years have made it a lot worse. USPS used to actually be cheaper and faster than UPS, but I have no recent real-world data to back that up.

TeMpLaR
Jan 13, 2001

"Not A Crook"

Amandyke posted:

I must be doing something wrong, but I got a quote from UPS for $1,300 and from DHL for $826.

I also think those measurements are way off, since the entire trunk must be like 5 or 6' wide. even wing alone would be atleast 5' wide.

Amandyke
Nov 27, 2004

A wha?

TeMpLaR posted:

I also think those measurements are way off, since the entire trunk must be like 5 or 6' wide. even wing alone would be atleast 5' wide.

Whelp, USPS says it's too big to ship. But going from their schedule, it'd be like $130 to australia.

Khelmar
Oct 12, 2003

Things fix me.
Does anyone know the part number for the aux input plastic insert in the center console in the 2010 Outback? I'm looking for just the part with the USB and headphone jack to replace one with just the headphones. Thanks!

thealphabetsez
Jun 1, 2004

allonblack posted:

Shawn and Mario, they're good buddies and both generally good dudes. Pics and videos of both cars up here -

http://subarushawn.com/

Dick Hannah meetup and Cobb meetup this weekend for you Portland-ish folks. Who's going?

I have been following Shawn's blog since placing my order, rampantly eating up any updates and counting down the days until my vin is filled. I didn't mean it to come off as though I think anything negative of Mario -- merely poking fun at his mega long locks.

I'll be at Hannah taking photographs, I doubt I will have my car by that time though. Possible going to Cobb in the morning, but that is a long drive.

Homebrewism
Jun 21, 2010

JBark posted:

I got one of these here in Oz, works great. I'd imagine they sell it in the States as well.
http://www.thule.de/Thule/ProductPage____83256.aspx

The tail end of the strap can be threaded back through the buckle, so it all lays flat without flapping. I just tie the remaining bit of the strap back on itself to prevent the last bit from blowing around.

Nice, now I at least have an idea of the kind of product to look for. This looks like exactly what I've wanted. Thank you!

Backno
Dec 1, 2007

Goff Boyz iz da rudest Boyz

SKA SUCKS

Huge_Midget posted:

Well if we do buy it from Rohrman's in Lafayette, that's all we'll be doing. We live in Fort Wayne and will be having all the service done here in Fort Wayne (which is also a Rohrman dealership unfortunately). I didn't consider Tom Wood, I'll check their inventory.

I got my '04 Impreza from Tom Wood in Indianapolis (96th St. isnt Carmel yet :colbert: )and they kicked all kinds of rear end. I have also heard nothing but poo poo about Rohrmans dealerships.

Edit: I see you already got it, but my points still stand.

Backno fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Aug 25, 2010

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

My 02 WRX wagon had had the dash oil light come on when I start the car cold first thing in the morning. I've checked the oil level and its fine. The light comes on dimly then fades over the course of 2-3 minutes and doesn't come on the rest of the day regardless of starts or waiting. Only the first AM start. Guesses, ideas?

Edit: Also any decent Subie shops in Orlando?

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.
Probably have too thick of an oil in there?

Amandyke
Nov 27, 2004

A wha?

toplitzin posted:

My 02 WRX wagon had had the dash oil light come on when I start the car cold first thing in the morning. I've checked the oil level and its fine. The light comes on dimly then fades over the course of 2-3 minutes and doesn't come on the rest of the day regardless of starts or waiting. Only the first AM start. Guesses, ideas?

The light should indicate oil pressure. How many miles on the car? Have you ever changed out the oil pump? And from Deuce, oil weight may play a large role in it.

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

toplitzin posted:

On wet days, my oil light comes on then fades, but it only happens in the winter once or twice a year. I have an 02RS (NA 2.5, different motor) and my research on rs25.com indicated that it's just a sensor getting wet, light goes off once the car warms up, and to clean it and put dielectric grease on it (which I haven't done yet). Your 2.0 might have different issues like the above two posters mentioned, but it's still worth looking into.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Seat Safety Switch posted:

It still vibrates a lot between 700-900 rpm, though - is it possible my A/C pulley is bad? I was watching it while the A/C was kicking on and off and vibrating the car badly and it seemed like it "jumped" a little after it declutched. It's also making a faint wittering noise and giving an off-balance "kicking" feeling when I put my hand on top of the compressor. Even with the A/C off, it vibrates, but the belt is still driving the pulley when the A/C clutch is disengaged so I can imagine it being the cause of the problem especially under vacuum braking.

The belt tension is fine but the A/C belt looks like it has a tiny bit of wear towards the front that isn't on the other belts. I'm thinking it may have gotten smacked in the accident and the belts replaced without inspecting the pulley. I'm going to try disconnecting it altogether and see if it takes care of the vibration.
Still having these problems along with the occasional hitch when I'm coasting at part throttle with the A/C turned off.

Also, does it make any sense to replace the oil pickup tube on my car? A few guys on a local Subaru forum are buying and installing them on their 2.5s, and there's a fairly harrowing thread on NASIOC about failures of this part. It's fairly cheap insurance and I'm definitely out of warranty by now.

Amandyke
Nov 27, 2004

A wha?

Also, does it make any sense to replace the oil pickup tube on my car? A few guys on a local Subaru forum are buying and installing them on their 2.5s, and there's a fairly harrowing thread on NASIOC about failures of this part. It's fairly cheap insurance and I'm definitely out of warranty by now.

Not unless you feel like you need to spend $200 to replace it. If anything inspect it first. Those failed ones didn't look like they failed from rusting through (what fastwrx claims) they look like stress fractures.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Yeah, it is quite a bit of money. There's a YouTube video I found where a guy is pounding on it for a few minutes with a chisel and hammer and can't replicate a failure from direct impacts until the thing is warped. It does look like a failure of the brazing could and has happened, but I can't see it being that common or they'd probably have done a recall by now to save having to buy new engines under warranty.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
I've seen three broken pickups in person over the last three years of working on subarus every day (although two were in the same week about a month ago).

I think our machine shop sells reinforced pickups which are quite a bit less than the killer b ones. I'll have to check next time I'm over there.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Amandyke posted:

The light should indicate oil pressure. How many miles on the car? Have you ever changed out the oil pump? And from Deuce, oil weight may play a large role in it.

105k, I got it at 80k. I don't think its on my recently done list. 10-30.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
the light comes on at under 2psi. It's bad when the light comes on.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
I threw the Turn In Concepts brake master cylinder brace on today. It was a hell of a job getting it in there, and it's pushing the air pump hose up a little bit where it's currently mounted, and a clip that was supposed to be included wasn't so I ended up having to use a zip-tie.

As for the performance benefit, I can definitely modulate the brakes better - the pedal feel is much firmer - but I'm not sure I'm actually getting much better "feel" out of it. I had one braking run at city speeds where I could clearly feel the brakes bite in, though. I'll try adjusting the plunger a bit more and see if that makes the brakes communicate more.

I don't think the part is intended to improve brake feel so much as it is brake pedal feel, if that makes sense.

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007
How is the hill assist in the wrx? Every opinion I can find on it is from a :rice: forum where they say they loose races and get in crashes because of it, is it really that annoying?

kaws!
May 25, 2008

New subie! Custom billstiens, brembos, 6 speed, twin plate clutch, whiteline works, R180 rear end, 2 way front and rear diffs etc. Just waiting on an engine.

quadpus
May 15, 2004

aaag sheets
Does anyone in Western Washington have a god drat rear passenger door for a 1st gen Impreza? The junkyards here really suck.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

ColHannibal posted:

How is the hill assist in the wrx? Every opinion I can find on it is from a :rice: forum where they say they loose races and get in crashes because of it, is it really that annoying?

No, it's not. Stop reading :rice: while you still can

quote:

New subie! Custom billstiens, brembos, 6 speed, twin plate clutch, whiteline works, R180 rear end, 2 way front and rear diffs etc. Just waiting on an engine.

I got an early STI long block sitting around if you dotn have anything lined up.

Where on earth have I seen your car before......?

kaws!
May 25, 2008

Cat Terrist posted:

No, it's not. Stop reading :rice: while you still can

I got an early STI long block sitting around if you dotn have anything lined up.

Where on earth have I seen your car before......?

This used to be the fastest liberty in Ausland, 420kw atw built by Techworkz in Canberra. Oversteer in SA has the most powerful one at the moment. Its getting an EZ30R with some fun bits, aiming to build an interesting NA. Mick has run a legacy in our events here, and I've run a 180b sss as a navigator.

If you ever come down south to Canberra for some of our rally events hit me up (koskos at live dot com dot au), got spare beds and tools for repair for a story and a beer.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Yes I know Mick, I get some of my parts via him. The recent addition of a Techworks R180 SpecC plated R180 compeltely transformed my car into such a nice drifting machine

BTW join http://www.wrx.org.au you know the club captain and we have a resonably healthy Canberra presence ;)

Who's 180b are you navving for?

kaws!
May 25, 2008

Cat Terrist posted:

Yes I know Mick, I get some of my parts via him. The recent addition of a Techworks R180 SpecC plated R180 compeltely transformed my car into such a nice drifting machine

BTW join http://www.wrx.org.au you know the club captain and we have a reasonably healthy Canberra presence ;)

Who's 180b are you navving for?

Joining now, haven't had something on the road for the past few years thanks to headgasket/another headgasket/another headgasket/big ends. Mick has been my good mate for many years, we went over to japan a few weeks ago. Good times!

I've run with Chris Hellesy in the 180b (bright yellow with cheetah spots), car should be ready again soon after getting a new L20. Had some issues with port sizing and compression but should be good soon. Grew up with him from about age 8, he is the only person to best me at the races I've entered though culverts still freak me out despite the years of yelling.

kaws! fucked around with this message at 13:27 on Aug 29, 2010

c355n4
Jan 3, 2007

I threw the Turn In Concepts brake master cylinder brace on today. It was a hell of a job getting it in there, and it's pushing the air pump hose up a little bit where it's currently mounted, and a clip that was supposed to be included wasn't so I ended up having to use a zip-tie.

As for the performance benefit, I can definitely modulate the brakes better - the pedal feel is much firmer - but I'm not sure I'm actually getting much better "feel" out of it. I had one braking run at city speeds where I could clearly feel the brakes bite in, though. I'll try adjusting the plunger a bit more and see if that makes the brakes communicate more.

I don't think the part is intended to improve brake feel so much as it is brake pedal feel, if that makes sense.

That is correct, the brace only changes the pedal feel.

Sterndotstern
Nov 16, 2002

by Y Kant Ozma Post
This is me not going to the big giant Dick Hannah meet today, as my mother in law is coming to Portland and we're still unpacking and setting up her bedroom and stuff.

Sucks. I'd love to see pics!

c355n4 posted:

That is correct, the brace only changes the pedal feel.

Can someone define pedal feel for me? Are you saying there is less "squish" between the time your foot contacts the pedal and actual engagement? Or is the pedal less compliant to sideways deflection under hard braking? Obviously your pedal firmness cannot change unless you're changing hydraulic ratios or boost levels, so I'm having trouble understanding the effect of this part.

Sterndotstern fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Aug 29, 2010

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

Sterndotstern posted:

Can someone define pedal feel for me? Are you saying there is less "squish" between the time your foot contacts the pedal and actual engagement? Or is the pedal less compliant to sideways deflection under hard braking? Obviously your pedal firmness cannot change unless you're changing hydraulic ratios or boost levels, so I'm having trouble understanding the effect of this part.
It prevents the brake master cylinder from moving around under hard braking (from firewall flex, reportedly), which in turn results in a harder pedal from removing some of the mushy play.

I'm not entirely sure how it works. My guess is that the master cylinder moving around is using up at least some of the force of the braking effort, and the brace helps keep that in check. As a result the pedal is a lot firmer, even with the car off.

c355n4
Jan 3, 2007

If you want to see what movement the MCB is stopping. When you are bleeding the brakes. Watch the cylinder when your friend pumps the brakes. You'll see it kinda wiggle and distort. The brace is really a feel thing and doesn't make any performance increase.

I could be wrong though :p

ConspicuousEvil
Feb 29, 2004
Pillbug
I may be in way over my head here and hopefully this is the right thread to ask, but I've been hearing a weird noise from my 2007 Forester (basic model). I've been hearing a buzzing sound (perhaps more of a vibration) from the front passenger's side. I'm thinking something to do with the wheel/wheel bearing? It only happens when I'm accelerating and it's a high-pitched buzzing. My mom said she had a similar thing happen to an Outback she had (not sure what year/model) and that it was some kind of recall? The car has 60k miles on it and I haven't had any real problems before this. Ideas?

syphon
Jan 1, 2001

ColHannibal posted:

I had an old 80's GL with the hill holder, and my current WRX also has a hill holder. I vastly preferred how the one on my old GL works. I don't know the mechanics of how each one worked (so hopefully someone can explain the difference).

On the old GL, holding the clutch pedal down would also hold the brake down, and it'd release both as soon as you let off on the clutch (it would hold them indefinitely, if you kept your foot on the clutch). This means that as soon as you start letting off the clutch, you're rolling backwards.

On the WRX, If you press the brake pedal while also holding the clutch, it holds the brake for a predetermined time (it's like, 3 seconds. I've played with it at stoplights), then lets go. I THINK it's supposed to let go when you release the clutch, but sometimes it doesn't.

That's where the problem comes in that those guys mentioned. Occasionally I'll start slipping out the clutch trying to drive (even when not on hills), but the hill holder is still holding the brake down. My engine revs for about a second and then the brake releases and the car lurches forward. This happens maybe 1 out of every 20 times the hill holder is engaged. If done in a certain situation (like racing) I can see this pissing some ricer off.

Sten Freak
Sep 10, 2008

Despite all of these shortcomings, the Sten still has a long track record of shooting people right in the face.
College Slice
Dumb Q: Helping a reformed lesbian with her 99 Forester, headlamp bulb is out. Directions say to remove the electrical connections first but they're not visible. Is the small rubber cover separate from the larger rubber seal? I cannot see the connectors to unplug them. What am I missing?

Vladimir Putin
Mar 17, 2007

by R. Guyovich
Wait, a reformed lesbian?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

So, if i need a new oil pump, is there are more better replacement than OEM?