Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Throb Robinson
Feb 8, 2010

He would enjoy administering the single antidote to Leia. He would enjoy it very much indeed..
I finally got to play TFU myself today instead of watching someone play it. I like how Shaak Ti becomes a force ghost by exploding into light. Fuuuuuuuuuuuuck.

I guess just disappearing wasn't UNLEASHED enough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bene Elim
Feb 9, 2010

The beast from Crete that can't be beat!

Big Mean Jerk posted:

IIRC, either Yoda or Mace Windu was the Jedi Grandmaster during the prequels, it's just not said aloud in the movies.

Grandmaster also refers to the leader of the Council, not the most powerful Jedi.
There are two titles; Grandmaster and Master of the Order.

The Grandmaster is the most powerful Jedi, and leader of them all everywhere. Very rarely awarded title, the only four I know of are Nomi Sunrider, Satelle Shan, Yoda and Luke Skywalker.

Master of the Order is a little different. They are the 'leader' of the council, presiding over sessions, and they 'run' (i.e. are in charge of) the main temple on Coruscant/Tython. Mace Windu held the title during TPM, and maybe some of AotC as well, but handed the title to Yoda so that he could go and play a more active role in the galaxy.

Everyone posted:

Empire at War :argh:
I really agree on the land battles. The Empire are so laughably terrible that I have never managed to complete any of their campaigns, but the only way I have found to counter the imperial AI with the rebels is hundreds of the T2-B tanks with Obi-Wan and Chewie to help. Nal Hutta is without doubt the most loving irritating planet to conquer. Bad, bad memories from that...

I really do love the space combat, if only for the sight of a massive doom fleet plowing across the map. Never knew about the z-level thing, and I really can't imagine how it would have worked. Shame they never got to finish it.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

Chaos Hippy posted:

Yoda was the Grandmaster in the prequels. The criticism of Luke being Grandmaster is not because he pulled the title out of his rear end, but because he gave it to himself.

Edit: VVV Goddammit. That can't be unsaid now. You've ruined everything.

Mind you, he also named himself a Jedi Master. Thanks to Kevin J. Anderson, so I guess Troy Denning had to go one up KJA again.

Really, Dark Nest is basically Troy Denning's love letter to KJA's complete tripe, and in it Troy Denning is here and there saying "look at what I can do" and "here's how I would have handled X".

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Bonzo posted:

Ok so I see how thing runs in the Skywalker family now, you just assign yourself titles right?

Like how Luke is a Jedi Grandmaster now and not just plan ol' Jedi Master. Never mind that people like Yoda were 900 years old and more powerful then Luke and there are current Jedi in the Order that are more powerful then him but he still gets to make up his own title.

Anakin had more potential than Yoda, and wasn't Luke supposed to be as powerful as pre-sunburned Anakin?

And Kyp doesn't count as more powerful than Luke because:
1) KJA
2) He's an assclown

Throb Robinson
Feb 8, 2010

He would enjoy administering the single antidote to Leia. He would enjoy it very much indeed..
Ive been told Kyp gets better in the NJO. I just thought he became a bigger dick and learned nothing from his retarded adventure with KJA.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Throb Robinson posted:

I just thought he became a bigger dick and learned nothing from his retarded adventure with KJA.

ding ding ding

I love how KJA went ahead and created a character who is supposed to be the most (or one of) powerful Jedi in the universe and nearly every single EU author either ignores him or makes him some reckless, bumbling idiot

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The funny thing about Luke assigning titles to himself is how in Return of the Jedi Yoda makes a point that he doesn't even consider Luke a Jedi yet.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

muscles like this? posted:

The funny thing about Luke assigning titles to himself is how in Return of the Jedi Yoda makes a point that he doesn't even consider Luke a Jedi yet.

Yo, you ain't a Jedi til you kill your dad bro.

Yoda was stone cold in some respects.

Throb Robinson
Feb 8, 2010

Did you know that SOE is putting out another Star Wars MMO?

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Star_Wars:_Clone_Wars_Adventures_(video_game)

AcridWhistle
Aug 20, 2003

Feasting on the flesh of a recently killed zombie probably wasn't the smartest of moves
It looks more like a series of minigames (ripoff minigames, I saw a Tower Defense in the video and some others) with Star Wars theming and a avatar based "chat area" almost like ZuZu pets or whatever kids play.

http://www.gametrailers.com/video/e3-2010-star-wars/100769

Do you think they will censor the word jizz :3:

Edit: Yeah Just a bunch of minigames and stuff
http://www.starwars.com/theclonewars/season3_date/index.html

quote:

Star Wars fans, Clone Wars Adventures is an action-packed virtual world where players can go online to experience fun minigames, daily activities, events, rewards, lively social environments and competition. Clone Wars Adventures lets players duel iconic adversaries with their own custom lightsaber, speed through the galaxy in a custom starfighter, defeat enemies and take down starships.

AcridWhistle fucked around with this message at 03:29 on Aug 25, 2010

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!

WhyteRyce posted:

Anakin had more potential than Yoda, and wasn't Luke supposed to be as powerful as pre-sunburned Anakin?

And Kyp doesn't count as more powerful than Luke because:
1) KJA
2) He's an assclown

I got the impression that Anakin and Jacen Solo were more powerful then Luke. I mean, Anakin turned into pure Force "light" power when fending off the Vong.

Sure it killed him but who else went out like that?

Jacen even slowed the gestation rate of his baby mamma.

mynnna
Jan 10, 2004

arioch posted:

Mind you, he also named himself a Jedi Master. Thanks to Kevin J. Anderson, so I guess Troy Denning had to go one up KJA again.
To be fair, if he's the only Jedi around, its not like there's someone else that could name him a master. :v:

Throb Robinson posted:

Ive been told Kyp gets better in the NJO.

He goes/stays dickish through the first part of the Vong war, gets better later.

Bonzo posted:

I got the impression that Anakin and Jacen Solo were more powerful then Luke. I mean, Anakin turned into pure Force "light" power when fending off the Vong.

Sure it killed him but who else went out like that?

Jacen even slowed the gestation rate of his baby mamma.

I dunno about more powerful re:anakin. More like just achieved a higher level of attunement in his final moments or something? Pretty sure the whole pure force thing wasn't what killed him though...he was dying already from various wounds, right? :iiam: And Jacen wasn't necessarily "more powerful", really, just had a much, much wider range of technique that he learned during his travels...techniques that Luke apparently has no problem learning just as (if not more) quickly.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

Torael_7 posted:

To be fair, if he's the only Jedi around, its not like there's someone else that could name him a master. :v:

Yeah, if you're singlehandedly rebuilding the Jedi order, which consists entirely of you at that point, you can call yourself whatever you drat well please. If Yoda wants to argue about it he'll have to get his rear end out of a little hut in a swamp.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Wingnut Ninja posted:

Yeah, if you're singlehandedly rebuilding the Jedi order, which consists entirely of you at that point, you can call yourself whatever you drat well please. If Yoda wants to argue about it he'll have to get his rear end out of a little hut in a swamp.
He was kind of dead at that point and for whatever reason didn't come along for ghosty chats with Luke.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Anyone else think it would actually be pretty creepy to have your dead master invisibly following you around giving you advice? Sure it works in movies but in real life you'd be taking a crap or sexing up your lady friend and you know that Obi Wan is out there... watching.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

LUUUKKKKEEEE, remember to wrap up your most important wingman.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Wingnut Ninja posted:

"What's that Yoda? You giving me more poo poo? I'm sorry I couldn't hear you over all the me getting down to business taking out the two Sith Lords that kicked your candy rear end all the way to the swamp"

Throb Robinson
Feb 8, 2010

http://starwars.com/vault/books/vortex_back/index.html

Han just looks so Tired of being on this book.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Throb Robinson posted:

http://starwars.com/vault/books/vortex_back/index.html

Han just looks so Tired of being on this book.
I really need a new vest.

T-1000
Mar 28, 2010
From reading the blurb, now there's sith again?

Somebody did a really crappy job of wiping out the jedi. You turn over a rock and a couple of jedi/sith scurry out.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

So I was cleaning out some stuff from my recent move and went through my book collection.

I found out that I own all the Thrawn Trilogy books, Specter of the Past, I,Jedi, the first three x-wing books and all the "tales from" books.

I remember my mom giving me these when I was younger but for one reason or another, I stashed them aside and completely forgot about them. I just finished Heir to the Empire a few days ago and I'm plowing through Dark Force Rising now.

It's times like these I'm cool with being unemployed.

Quantum Cat
May 6, 2007
Why am I in a BOX?WFT?!

Speaking of Han in FotJ books, they gave him a scene in 'Backlash' Where he fends off a bunch of "spark flies", little bugs that zap and burn you rather than stinging, with a flame thrower he pgrabbed off a guy named Carrack.

EU Han Solo posted:

Han let off the trigger, aimed, and fired again. Once more the camp was bathed in hues of red and orange as insects were vaporized out to a distance of 50 meters. A broad grin spread across Han's Face. "Why haven't I ever gotten one of these for myself?"
Leia Shot him an incredulous look before returning her attention to keeping the insects off the three of them. "Because that would be like letting children play with thermal detonators!"
"I like it." Han swung the nozzel around, causing the gout of flame to curve across the sky, sweeping insects away as it reached them. "I have a flamethrower."
"Blast it, Carrack, see what you've done?"

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

JUST FUCKING TAKE OFF ALREADY, SHIT
Okay so I just realized this. In Empire Strikes Back the Falcon attaches to the back of the super structure on a Star Destroyer. Then Vader hosts the meeting of the bounty hunters on his Super Star Destroyer. After the Falcon detaches and floats off with the garbage, they enter hyperspace. Also leaving in the garbage is Boba Fett. Does this mean that Boba Fett knew where the Falcon was and transferred his ship to the Star Destroyer?

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Ringo Star Get posted:

Okay so I just realized this. In Empire Strikes Back the Falcon attaches to the back of the super structure on a Star Destroyer. Then Vader hosts the meeting of the bounty hunters on his Super Star Destroyer. After the Falcon detaches and floats off with the garbage, they enter hyperspace. Also leaving in the garbage is Boba Fett. Does this mean that Boba Fett knew where the Falcon was and transferred his ship to the Star Destroyer?

I always assumed that he had docked with the Executor, had his meeting with Vader and promptly just let his ship float out and wait.

Around the time the bounty hunters show up, Solo had been in the area recently so it wasn't a stretch that he might be nearby and just waiting for the fleet to make the jump to hyperspace. Fett guessed on this and was correct.

haitfais
Aug 7, 2005

I am offended by your ham, sir.
Edit: ^^^ Yours makes more sense.

Ringo Star Get posted:

Pretty much. He predicted what Solo would be likely to do, and outmaneuvered him.

deadguy
Apr 23, 2007

Hello Bob

Vortex Blurb posted:

A new and even more insidious threat is rising, one that endangers not only the Jedi but the entire Galactic Alliance. Unless the Skywalkers survive to sound the alarm -- and to pass along the secrets they have learned about Abeloth and the Sith -- the galaxy will suffer as it has never suffered before.

Boy this combination of words will NEVER get old. That bad guy's called Abeloth this time, huh? Yeah def gonna buy this one in hardcover.

Dave Syndrome
Jan 11, 2007
Look, Bernard. Bernard, look. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Bernard! Bernard. Bernard. Look, Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard! Look! Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Look, Bernard! Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Bern

muscles like this? posted:

Anyone else think it would actually be pretty creepy to have your dead master invisibly following you around giving you advice? Sure it works in movies but in real life you'd be taking a crap or sexing up your lady friend and you know that Obi Wan is out there... watching.

Mister_Eel
Jun 29, 2007
I know I'm a little late to the Empire at War hate party but once I had a fleet containing just the Executor. So I fly it over a rebel planet containing a single squadron of B-wings. "Well this should be easy, I'll just auto-calculate the battle instead of loading up the space battle". Well the single loving squadron of 3 B-wings destroyed the Executor, which by itself could launch something like 10 squadrons of TIEs and Interceptor, both of which should have kicked the poo poo out of the THREE MOTHER loving B-WINGS!

Man it STILL pisses me off just thinking about what a huge steaming piece of poo poo that game is. Right after that happened I took the CD out of my computer and snapped it in half. I haven't bought a single Lucasarts game since and I probably never will.

Azzmo
Jul 2, 2007
STUPID MINORITIES ALWAYS MAKING ME FEEL UNCOMFORTABLE TO BE A WHITE MALE

Mister_Eel posted:

I know I'm a little late to the Empire at War hate party but once I had a fleet containing just the Executor. So I fly it over a rebel planet containing a single squadron of B-wings. "Well this should be easy, I'll just auto-calculate the battle instead of loading up the space battle". Well the single loving squadron of 3 B-wings destroyed the Executor, which by itself could launch something like 10 squadrons of TIEs and Interceptor, both of which should have kicked the poo poo out of the THREE MOTHER loving B-WINGS!

Man it STILL pisses me off just thinking about what a huge steaming piece of poo poo that game is. Right after that happened I took the CD out of my computer and snapped it in half. I haven't bought a single Lucasarts game since and I probably never will.

I'm enjoying the mental image here.

Faerunner
Dec 31, 2007
Battlefront 2 on the PS2 is disappointingly meh.

Locutus of Bald
Aug 20, 2009

by Debbie Metallica
Battlefront II/RS/ES for PSP are the only games I own for my PSP, but I've played II and RS several times a week for nearly two years and they continue to own bones.

benito
Sep 28, 2004

And I don't blab
any drab gab--
I chatter hep patter

Ringo Star Get posted:

In the audio commentary for AOTC, there's that scene with Obi-Wan and the Fetts chasing through the asteroid field, and Obi-Wan hides on the back of an asteroid. Lucas mentions that young Boba Fett remembered that and used it to his advantage in ESB. Yep. It's yet another minor scene in the OT that got a long and unnecessary explanation in the PT.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

deadguy posted:

Boy this combination of words will NEVER get old. That bad guy's called Abeloth this time, huh? Yeah def gonna buy this one in hardcover.

Abeloth is ~*~*~*~*~*FORCE CTHULHU*~*~*~*~*~

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

Mister_Eel posted:

Auto resolve in most games is utter shite, avoid it like the plague. The thing that pisses me off about EAW is that you can't save when you begin a battle so your locked in to do the whole tedious process before quitting.

And those rear end in a top hat B-Wing Pilots must have invented crash into the bridge of the Star Destroyer technique.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Mister_Eel posted:

I don't know if you remember X-Wing, but with the B-Wing it was incredibly easy to take down capital ships. Atleast the ones that were scripted to leave, because you could just whittle down their shields, and then disable them with the ion cannons. Then they would just sit there while you chipped away at them with your regular lasers. It'd take a while, but you could to it very easily.

kimcicle
Feb 23, 2003

Sorry if this was answered earlier in the thread, but I skimmed the OP and recalled receiving some Star Wars books from a family friend when I was in the 6th / 7th grade (about 14 or so years ago). I'm not sure exactly what they were, so maybe you guys can help and I can pick up where I left off. Luke had his Jedi Academy on Yavin 4 and there was some guy flying around in some ship that could cause stars to blow up or something along those lines. Eventually he throws the thing into a black hole while shoving himself in a canister or something? That was the last one I read, sorry if it's not specific enough.

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd

kimcicle posted:

Sorry if this was answered earlier in the thread, but I skimmed the OP and recalled receiving some Star Wars books from a family friend when I was in the 6th / 7th grade (about 14 or so years ago). I'm not sure exactly what they were, so maybe you guys can help and I can pick up where I left off. Luke had his Jedi Academy on Yavin 4 and there was some guy flying around in some ship that could cause stars to blow up or something along those lines. Eventually he throws the thing into a black hole while shoving himself in a canister or something? That was the last one I read, sorry if it's not specific enough.

The Jedi Academy Trilogy by Kevin J. Anderson. There's a readthrough of them going on in The Book Barn thread right now, link's in the OP.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

kimcicle posted:

Jedi Academy Trilogy.

Karandras
Apr 27, 2006

EAW rules but only for space skirmishes basically. The campaigns are horrible because half your missions are "Here, micromanage this pair of heroes for a dumb land battle". I love EAW to bits and the mod community is great but goddamn the campaigns are terrible. I played through all of Forces of Corruption to see the Eclipse and I regret it :(

I've been playing in and running some Star Wars games and am being driven a little crazy trying to get some consistent figures and justify some stuff. I know it is Just Star Wars etc but a sounding board is nice to get some perspective, so what do you think?

How many TIE defenders were roughly made? The wiki source says at least 10,000 were unaccounted for, which indicates there were a lot made post Endor.

How many ISDs are around (Roughly) in the Core ~0BBY? I'm thinking there would be at least a dozen at Kuat or Coruscant, but how many are there total?

Things like Mon Calamari managed to rebel and then defend themselves from the Empire seems ridiculous if the Empire is a huge galaxy spanning government with access to hundreds if not thousands of Star Destroyers and yet only had a dozen or more of their own unless:
a) Mon Calamari had an unusual amount of fixed defenses like space stations, but it'd have to be a *lot*
b) Imperial officers are really too incompetent, arrogant and competitive to organise a large enough fleet without the Emperor's personal interference
c) The Emperor was manipulating the situation to stop them taking Mon Cal, so he could set up his ROTJ end game.

I guess it makes sense if you picture the Imperial Fleet as being basically 100% held up intimidating local systems with only a few dozen or more capital ships free for action at a time?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd

Karandras posted:

EAW rules but only for space skirmishes basically. The campaigns are horrible because half your missions are "Here, micromanage this pair of heroes for a dumb land battle". I love EAW to bits and the mod community is great but goddamn the campaigns are terrible. I played through all of Forces of Corruption to see the Eclipse and I regret it :(

I've been playing in and running some Star Wars games and am being driven a little crazy trying to get some consistent figures and justify some stuff. I know it is Just Star Wars etc but a sounding board is nice to get some perspective, so what do you think?

How many TIE defenders were roughly made? The wiki source says at least 10,000 were unaccounted for, which indicates there were a lot made post Endor.

How many ISDs are around (Roughly) in the Core ~0BBY? I'm thinking there would be at least a dozen at Kuat or Coruscant, but how many are there total?

Things like Mon Calamari managed to rebel and then defend themselves from the Empire seems ridiculous if the Empire is a huge galaxy spanning government with access to hundreds if not thousands of Star Destroyers and yet only had a dozen or more of their own unless:
a) Mon Calamari had an unusual amount of fixed defenses like space stations, but it'd have to be a *lot*
b) Imperial officers are really too incompetent, arrogant and competitive to organise a large enough fleet without the Emperor's personal interference
c) The Emperor was manipulating the situation to stop them taking Mon Cal, so he could set up his ROTJ end game.

I guess it makes sense if you picture the Imperial Fleet as being basically 100% held up intimidating local systems with only a few dozen or more capital ships free for action at a time?

The number for Star Destroyers that gets thrown around a lot is 25,000. But re: Mon Calamari, I couldn't say.