Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Robert Analog
Feb 16, 2008

shyah

:allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Sheldrake
Jul 19, 2006

~pettin in the park~

doctor thodt posted:

ELEPHANTS WERE USED

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

I think I'll wait for the eventual slimmed-down keepcase release. I like BotRK, but not enough to devote that much shelf space to it.

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I believe there will be a plain digibook release as well. Sony hasn't re-released any of their digibooks in keepcases that I know of.

Adrianics
Aug 15, 2006

Affirmative. Yes. Yo. Right on. My man.
My copy of Picnic Of Hanging Rock, which I ordered because of this thread, arrived today and I can't wait to watch it once I've gotten my days' work done. I'm looking to watch more of Peter Weir's work because I'm a huge fan of The Truman Show and Dead Poets Society. Just wanted to leave a note of thanks for pointing me to it :)

Gozinbulx
Feb 19, 2004
Two movie I absolutely cannot wait to see on blu ray:

Grand Prix

Le Mans

any info on when these are gonna get the treatment?

also anyone have Leone/Eastwood westerns on blu ray? i only found it as a box set on some weird obscure site so I wondered whether they even really existed.

SneakySneaks
Feb 11, 2006

Adrianics posted:

My copy of Picnic Of Hanging Rock, which I ordered because of this thread, arrived today and I can't wait to watch it once I've gotten my days' work done. I'm looking to watch more of Peter Weir's work because I'm a huge fan of The Truman Show and Dead Poets Society. Just wanted to leave a note of thanks for pointing me to it :)

With their current streak of releases I really hope this in the December release plans from Criterion for us region A customers.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Gozinbulx posted:

Two movie I absolutely cannot wait to see on blu ray:

Grand Prix

Le Mans

any info on when these are gonna get the treatment?

also anyone have Leone/Eastwood westerns on blu ray? i only found it as a box set on some weird obscure site so I wondered whether they even really existed.

Grand Prix was released on HD-DVD and it looked amazing.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1053304

No word on when it will come to Blu-Ray. It's one of the few HD-DVD titles that haven't made the jump yet.

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Gozinbulx posted:

They exist:

http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/The-Man-with-No-Name-Trilogy-Blu-ray/10781/

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan
Any news on My Neighbor Totoro for blu-ray? My girlfriend has been yammering about this for some time now and I really want to see Nausicaa as well but Ghibli/Disney seem to be dragging their asses on this, probably recruiting Miley Cyrus to voice Nausicaa or some crap :psyduck:

In other news, just got Robocop on BD, can't wait to pop this in and Verhoeven out!

EDIT:

Wikipedia posted:

A remastered Blu-ray sourced from a 6K filmscan was released on July 14, 2010 in Japan. It includes a uncompressed Japanese LPCM stereo track, a English dub and English subtitles. There is no date set for Nausicaa Blu-ray in North America.

Awwww, what the hell, this is even worse!

Moist von Lipwig fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Aug 23, 2010

Unruly Amoeba
Feb 11, 2007

Moist von Lipwig posted:

Any news on My Neighbor Totoro for blu-ray? My girlfriend has been yammering about this for some time now and I really want to see Nausicaa as well but Ghibli/Disney seem to be dragging their asses on this, probably recruiting Miley Cyrus to voice Nausicaa or some crap :psyduck:

I'd guess it's actually the Japanese holding this up. Disney will use the same transfer, but there's probably a lag due to the Japanese trying to stem the 'reverse importation' of it back into Japan from America. The American BluRay will be substantially cheaper than the eighty dollar import.

Athletic Footjob
Sep 24, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Unruly Amoeba posted:

I'd guess it's actually the Japanese holding this up. Disney will use the same transfer, but there's probably a lag due to the Japanese trying to stem the 'reverse importation' of it back into Japan from America. The American BluRay will be substantially cheaper than the eighty dollar import.

The UK and Australia have got a release dates of 18th October and November respectively, so I imagine USA should be getting it around that time.

Unmistakeable Fire
Oct 1, 2006
River Kwai looks gorgeous even on the shittiest VHS tape, it will probably look mind blowing on Blu.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Full television version of Fanny and Alexander coming out in Japan, November 26. C'mon Criterion :(

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever

FitFortDanga posted:

Full television version of Fanny and Alexander coming out in Japan, November 26. C'mon Criterion :(

I'm expecting (hoping?) that will be announced for December, or at least early next year.

Has there ever been any word on a Vertigo blu-ray? I ask because I bought the poster yesterday and realized I hadn't seen it in way too long.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Vertigo probably needs a lot of work. It's one thing for Psycho, a B&W film, to be cleaned up for Blu-Ray, but the restoration is already 14 years old.

Perhaps they can use the mono-to-5.1 process on Vertigo to get a better remix this time. The mono track on the Masterpiece Collection DVD really isn't that bad. Rear Window had to have its audio restored from a 35mm print and it sounds great.

Neo_Reloaded
Feb 27, 2004
Something from Nothing
Apparently at least portions of Lionsgate's October 5th wave is already on shelves at Best Buy, possibly as another set of 'Best Buy exclusives.' People at Blu-ray.com have reported seeing Blair Witch Project, Bad Lieutenant, Wonderland, and High Tension. The posts are far from definitive, so others may be out there as well.

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Oh man I am going to pick up High Tension immediately. Thanks for the heads up.

Just got my Gladiator replacement disc too!

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Kino posted:

KINO LORBER IS PROUD TO ANNOUNCE THE HOME ENTERTAINMENT RELEASE OF METROPOLIS

THE COMPLETE METROPOLIS

PREBOOK: OCTOBER 19, 2010
STREET DATE: NOVEMBER 16, 2010

YEAR: 1927 / 2010
GENRE: SCIENCE FICTION / CLASSIC

Metropolis takes place in 2026, when the populace is divided between workers who must live in the dark underground and the rich who enjoy a futuristic city of splendor. The tense balance of these two societies is realized through images that are among the most famous of the 20th century, many of which presage such sci-fi landmarks as 2001: A Space Odyssey and Blade Runner. Lavish and spectacular, with elaborate sets and modern science fiction style, Metropolis stands today as the crowning achievement of the German silent cinema.

Kino International is proud to announce the DVD and long awaited first time ever Blu-ray release of the new restoration of Fritz Lang's 1927 science fiction masterpiece METROPOLIS, now with 25 minutes of lost footage and the original Gottfried Huppertz score. This new 147-minute version (being released as THE COMPLETE METROPOLIS), opened theatrically in April 2010 earning over $350,000 at the box office, and since it’s original restoration, has gone on to earn $1,000,000 in theatrical ticket sales!

When it was first screened in Berlin on January 10, 1927, the sci-fi epic ran an estimated 153 minutes. After its premiere engagement, in an effort to maximize the film's commercial potential, the film's distributors (UFA in Germany, Paramount in the U.S.) drastically shortened METROPOLIS, which had been a major disappointment at the German box office. By the time it debuted in the United States later that year, the film ran approximately 90 minutes (exact running times are difficult to determine because silent films were not always projected at a standardized speed).

METROPOLIS went on to become one of the cornerstones of science fiction cinema foreshadowing BLADE RUNNER and THE MATRIX to name just a few recent examples. Testament to its enduring popularity, the film has undergone restorations in 1984 and again in 1987. The 2001 restoration combined footage from four archives and ran at a triumphant 124 minutes. And at the time was widely believed that this would be the most complete version of Lang's film that contemporary audiences could ever hope to see. But, in the summer of 2008, the curator of the Buenos Aires Museo del Cine discovered a 16mm dupe negative that was considerably longer than any existing print. It included not merely a few additional snippets, but 25 minutes of "lost" footage (about a fifth of the film) that had not been seen since its 1927 debut in Berlin. The discovery of such a significant amount of material called for yet another restoration, carefully executed by Anke Wilkening of the Murnau Stiftung (Foundation) (the German institution that is the caretaker of virtually all pre 1945 German films), Martin Koerber, Film Department Curator of the Deutche Kinemateque and on the music side, by Frank Stoebel. Regarding the quality of the added footage Ms. Wilkening has said: "The work on the restoration teaches us once more that no restoration is ever definitive... Even if we are allowed for the first time to come as close to the first release as ever before, the new version will still remain an approach. The rediscovered sections which change the film's composition, and at the same time always be recognizable through their damages as those parts that had been lost for 80 years."

DVD ITEM#K690
UPC# 7 38329 06902 5
SRP: $29.95

DVD Features:

- Original 1927 score by Gottfried Huppertz, performed by the Rundfunk Symphony Orchestra, Berlin, conducted by Frank Strobel presented in 5.1 Dolby Digital Surround
- Limited Edition Collectible "O-Card" Packaging
- Voyage to Metropolis, a 50-minute documentary on the making and restoration of the film
- Interview with Paula Felix-Didier, curator of the Museo del Cine, Buenos Aires, where the missing footage was discovered
- 2010 re-release trailer

BLU-RAY ITEM#K713
UPC# 7 38329 07132 5
SRP: $39.95

Blu-ray Features:

- Original 1927 score by Gottfried Huppertz, performed by the Rundfunk Symphony Orchestra, Berlin, conducted by Frank Strobel presented in DTS HD Master Audio 5.1
- Limited Edition Collectible 3-D Lenticuar Box Packaging
- HD Video: 1920 x 1080p
- Voyage to Metropolis, a 50-minute documentary on the making and restoration of the film (presented in HD)
- Interview with Paula Felix-Didier, curator of the Museo del Cine, Buenos Aires, where the missing footage was discovered
- 2010 re-release trailer

Seems like they could have come up with more extras than that.

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Yeah, I'm probably just going to end up importing the Masters of Cinema release.

quote:

* 150-minute feature film (including 25 minutes of footage previously thought lost to the world)
* Special-edition packaging with lavish wraparound sleeve and embossed printing
* Pristine film transfers presented on Blu-ray (1080p) and DVD (2-disc)
* Newly translated optional English subtitles
* Full-length audio commentary by David Kalat and Jonathan Rosenbaum
* Die Reise nach Metropolis (2010) documentary about the film
* 56-page booklet featuring new essays, archival interviews, vintage production stills, and more
* Further extras to be announced nearer the release date

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

doctor thodt posted:

Yeah, I'm probably just going to end up importing the Masters of Cinema release.

You'd really turn down Limited Edition Collectible 3-D Lenticuar Box Packaging?

The Lucas
Dec 28, 2006

morestuff posted:

You'd really turn down Limited Edition Collectible 3-D Lenticuar Box Packaging?

MoC has better packaging too!

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

That's all?

Imagine if Criterion had this film. Multiple cuts (the '27 Paramount cut licensed from MoMA, plus the restoration), multiple scores (Huppertz, Alloy Orchestra, and even the lovely Moroder one), Von Harbou's novel, multiple commentaries, perhaps the Berlin premiere footage as an alternate angle, and even the previous DVD's extras like the documentary and a revised restoration comparison.

I was OK with giving a pass on their other silents in terms of supplements, but Kino has no excuse to be this no-effort with such a major film and charging a premium for it.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

They didn't even bother to port over their old commentary. Granted, they'd have to re-cut it for the new version, but that wouldn't be so tough.

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Arrow (UK) is releasing Battle Royale on 11/15 with both cuts of the film.

blast0rama
Aug 13, 2003

Tingly.

doctor thodt posted:

Region free?

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

doctor thodt posted:

If it's region free, I'm on it! My old region free DVD player broke, so now I can't watch my Japanese edition DVD of it. :(

The Lucas
Dec 28, 2006

Is the MoC Metropolis gonna be region free?

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

OGB posted:

Region free?

Unknown this early but given Arrow's history of region coding and the availability of the movie in the US, it'll probably be region free.

The Lucas posted:

Is the MoC Metropolis gonna be region free?

Nope, region B locked.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

An amusing comment on the Blu-ray.com announcement for Metropolis:

someone who doesn't understand silent movies posted:

Fantastic release, will be a first day buy for me.
Lets hope we get the original mono mix, I hate these releases with 5.1 HD Audio that were originally in mono, just give us the original Audio Track.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
I hope it's subbed and not dubbed

edit:

doctor thodt posted:

Nope, region B locked.
Is it even going to be blu-ray? All I see for the Masters of Cinema release is DVD

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Aug 25, 2010

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Steve Yun posted:

Is it even going to be blu-ray? All I see for the Masters of Cinema release is DVD

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.
I've never seen Metropolis. I take it the film is probably worth risking a blind buy?

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

qbert posted:

I've never seen Metropolis. I take it the film is probably worth risking a blind buy?

I know I'll probably get poo poo for this but I don't think so. Metropolis is considered a classic, but I think it excites film nerds because of lot of things other than the actual movie.

There's some good stuff to be sure (the visuals are pretty incredible), but remember we're talking about a silent film from 1927 that's been hacked to death in the editing room and people have been trying to restore back to it's "original" version since its release. It's a film that typical moviegoers are probably not going to find interesting.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

qbert posted:

Yes. Not only is it an entertaining and easily accessible silent, the technical aspects hold up extremely well. The story isn't the most complex in theme, but no worse than Avatar. The new footage helps a lot - the subplots with Josaphat, Georgy, and Der Schmaler add a lot of depth.

The music score is one of the best ever composed for a film, too.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.

doctor thodt posted:

As I don't really understand Regions and such, if I were to buy this, would I be able to play it on my PS3, or is that locked or something?

Bambi
Jan 26, 2009

Any time you see Delekhan post, make this face and tell him how much he owns.

TheBigBudgetSequel posted:

As I don't really understand Regions and such, if I were to buy this, would I be able to play it on my PS3, or is that locked or something?

Most players sold in the US (including the PS3) are Region A players, which means they can only play region A and region free BD's.

Region free players (capable of playing any region locked BD) tend to be expensive and a sort of specialty item; not to mention many of them need to be modified in order to be region free - so if you own one, chances are you would know it.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

qbert posted:

I'm in the same boat you are in after getting burnt buying The General. Not to say that The General is a bad movie or that it doesn't look fantastic but every time I try to watch it, I fall asleep and I don't get all of the praise it was given during release.

I'm probably going to Netflix Metropolis first.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quartknee
Mar 20, 2009
I heard that there would be an alternate score by Alloy Orchestra (a junk orchestra touring right now performing their score to the new version of Metropolis), but I don't see it listed in these special features. bummer.

• Locked thread