Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PopeOnARope
Jul 23, 2007

Hey! Quit touching my junk!

Chris Knight posted:

Have you tried the place in Waterloo/St. Jacobs?

Not yet, though it seems pretty rad. I don't drive, though. So.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mascot
Feb 10, 2010
Just noticed that the thread title is using the inappropriate plural for LEGO...wasn't it correct awhile ago?

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

Mascot posted:

Just noticed that the thread title is using the inappropriate plural for LEGO...wasn't it correct awhile ago?

Only mods can change thread titles, so ask at your own risk!

That being said, Inspector_71 is a cool mod and would likely change it if asked politely.

Jusupov
May 24, 2007
only text

Mascot posted:

It's a joke

Umbra Dubium
Nov 23, 2007

The British Empire was built on cups of tea, and if you think I'm going into battle without one, you're sorely mistaken!

Mascot posted:

It was.

Carbohydrates posted this thread with its first title, someone (a mod, presumably) changed it to "The LEGO Thread: Something AFOL" and then someone (else?) slipped the extra S in sometime later.

afflictionwisp
Aug 26, 2003
LEGO thread, I need your help. This

is supposed to look like this

or this,but the head is kicking my rear end. Keeps ending up either too big or completely unrecognizable. Any chance some enterprising individual just had a flash of inspiration they'd be willing to share?

Oh, hey, I don't think I ever posted the completed Appa in this thread.

Mascot
Feb 10, 2010
Orlando Imagination Center had lots of brick grab bags today. $8 each..not too bad.

I picked up a couple and got a pretty decent piece distribution...shitloads of trans-clear and trans-dk green 1x2 bricks for some reason though.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

afflictionwisp posted:

Oh, hey, I don't think I ever posted the completed Appa in this thread.

Wait, you're the one who built that Appa? Nice work, dude. One of the few Avatar MOCs, and one of the few of those that doesn't suck

It's a drat shame Spongebob won the war between the two, we could've had Azula, Zhao, Iroh, Ozai, and loving TOPH minifigures. God drat it Nick/Lego.

No Pun Intended
Jul 23, 2007

DWARVEN SEX OFFENDER

ASK ME ABOUT TONING MY FINE ASS DWARVEN BOOTY BY RUNNING FROM THE COPS OUTSIDE THAT ELF KINDERGARTEN

BEHOLD THE DONG OF THE DWARVES! THE DWARVEN DONG IS COMING!
I would have killed for a Fire Nation tank set.

No Pun Intended fucked around with this message at 10:20 on Aug 23, 2010

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice
Does anyone else get the feeling that LEGO missed out on something great by going with Creationary instead of Bricktionary?

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

I managed to get a Galactic Enforcer for $69 at WalMart last night, I wasn't going to chance waiting for another price drop and having it sell out again.

Joudas
Sep 29, 2005

Now here's a kid who's whole world got all twisted,
leaving him stranded on a rock in the sky...

3 posted:

Does anyone else get the feeling that LEGO missed out on something great by going with Creationary instead of Bricktionary?

Bricktionary sounds like it might actually be a book about bricks, creationary actually sounds like a board game.

Umbra Dubium
Nov 23, 2007

The British Empire was built on cups of tea, and if you think I'm going into battle without one, you're sorely mistaken!

Joudas posted:

Bricktionary sounds like it might actually be a book about bricks, creationary actually sounds like a board game.

Creationary sounds like a Creationist Dictionary.

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice

Joudas posted:

Pictionary, dude.

Shuppiluliumas
Nov 9, 2006
The King of Prussia Lego store got the series 2 Minifigures in today. I got a call from a friend around 1 to tell me, and I got to the store at 6. They were already sold out. They're letting them go 16 to a customer. If you live near a Lego store and want to get them there, go NOW.

GerbilNut
Dec 30, 2004
So my local Target has the Castle Trolls Mountain Fortress 7097 for $49.99 (scanner rings up $0.00, it's clearanced apparently but they are guessing at the price) I don't see them dropping below $139 on Amazon and Ebay so I guess I will be picking it up tomorrow if it's still there. I've grabbed in the last two days and managed to talk myself out of it.

Anyone want it?

Really Big Shoe
Sep 11, 2001

HEY HOW DID THIS SHOE GET ON MY LAP ITS SO BIG OH GOD SEND HELP
The Austin store has the series 2 figures as well. We ran through probably 1/3 of our supply today, I don't see them lasting more than two more days. I got a bunch of mimes, two vampires, a witch, two mexicans, and a karate guy. Pretty stoked on what I can do with all of these mime heads.

GerbilNut
Dec 30, 2004

Really Big Shoe posted:

The Austin store has the series 2 figures as well. We ran through probably 1/3 of our supply today, I don't see them lasting more than two more days. I got a bunch of mimes, two vampires, a witch, two mexicans, and a karate guy. Pretty stoked on what I can do with all of these mime heads.

I'm jealous, I plan to make it up to the austin store in the next month or two from Corpus but I doubt they will have evven one hiding out by then. Time to hope TRU has some this time.

Baggins
Feb 21, 2007

Like a Great Wind!
I've seen a few rather good vignettes around on different LEGO sites. I'd like to see what you uys can come up with.

Rules are simple. 8x8 studs, whatever you want.

To start us off:

I might re-create this in real bricks later with the Toy Story soldiers.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Work in progress. I had made arms, but they were way too heavy. I have to figure something else out.

WhiskeyJuvenile fucked around with this message at 16:16 on Aug 24, 2010

AstroZamboni
Mar 8, 2007

Smoothing the Ice on Europa since 1997!
Here's my current vignette, an astronomical observatory with CCD imager attached to cassegrain telescope (complete with mirror!), realistic focuser and working technic equatorial mount.

Click here for the full 505x819 image.

Click here for the full 688x711 image.

Click here for the full 482x660 image.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Found a couple of almost full boxes of Series 2 figures at the WalMart up at St. Clair & Runnymede here in Toronto, and did a quick cross-compare of the barcodes. Grabbed 16, and ended up with dupes of the Ring Master and Swimming gal. Time go check that barcode printout and head back I guess! :)

InfinEight
Apr 25, 2007

What planet is this again?-- OH SHIT
If you like Lego and Carl's Jr., then I have good news!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4yafW-6EVRM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pVlq5P8ThEs
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IGdKYwQhrcE

afflictionwisp
Aug 26, 2003

afflictionwisp posted:

Any chance some enterprising individual just had a flash of inspiration they'd be willing to share?

Y'all are no drat help whatsoever, but there's plenty of time for you to redeem yourselves, 'cause this moc is quickly getting out of control.

InfinEight posted:

If you like Lego and Carl's Jr., then I have good news!

These are funny as hell!

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

PopeOnARope posted:

Not yet, though it seems pretty rad. I don't drive, though. So.
Check a Wal-Mart. They're showing up in Toronto area stores now.

Civil
Apr 21, 2003

Do you see this? This means "Have a nice day".
I guess I'm not into legos like a bunch of you guys are, but I do have a 5 year old that loves playing with them, so I get a lot of exposure to them as well. When I moved out of my parent's place to go to college, I took all the bricks I'd accumulated when I was a kid (mostly technic stuff from the late 80's) and put it up in their attic. A couple years ago, I got it back from my parents so he'd have a good set of bricks to start working with.

Since he's been into legos, he's collected a shitload of them through birthdays, holidays, etc. We have the Minotaurus board game, which is kind of fun, and he just got the Ramses Pyramid, which we haven't played yet. He's picked up a number of town sets, space police, Star Wars, Indiana Jones, those ocean crab things, a bunch of bionicle poo poo, and just this weekend, a fire helicoptor and a truck.

I signed him up for the lego club thing and he gets those kid's magazines and catalogs, which he reads obsessively, and will point out to any visitor which ones he really wants. He's been building his own stuff lately, since he wants to get his picture in the magazine. I should start submitting pictures soon, he's starting to get good.

Anyway, if you don't have kids, try it out. It's a good way to share your hobby.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Wow, those Carl Jr. ads are amazing. I like the semi-destroyed Grand Emporium in the dinosaur one.

"I got shotgun!"

cakeslob
Jul 10, 2007

:twisted:I'M PEGGY HILL:twisted::wtc::q::mmhmm:

Chris Knight posted:

Check a Wal-Mart. They're showing up in Toronto area stores now.

in Toronto you guys are getting series 2 (already?)
Im in Hamilton and hit up toys r us all summer looking for any of them but they havent had a single thing except those aliens from toy story

is toys r us the problem or does hamilton suck(more so)?

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Fixed the arms. This is my first MOC, so yay for that:

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x38: FLOPPY_INTERNAL_ERROR

So I'm thinking about buying my first Lego set in a while, and I found this Y-Wing (7658) set on Bricklink for pretty much MSRP.

The Y-Wing has always been a favorite ship of mine, but I've never been able to get the set. Does anyone have this set that can post some pictures, or comparisons to the 1999 Y-Wing/TIE Fighter set?

InfinEight
Apr 25, 2007

What planet is this again?-- OH SHIT

Kazy posted:

So I'm thinking about buying my first Lego set in a while, and I found this Y-Wing (7658) set on Bricklink for pretty much MSRP.

The Y-Wing has always been a favorite ship of mine, but I've never been able to get the set. Does anyone have this set that can post some pictures, or comparisons to the 1999 Y-Wing/TIE Fighter set?

Having bought two of these (and also a fan of Y-Wings), I can definitely recommend it. It's far more detailed than the original set and is nicely proportioned. It also has a ton of useful pieces, and I especially liked the creative design of the engines. If you can get it for a reasonable price, go for it. Here's a decent set review in pictures to help you out: http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=237907

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

Every time I build a creator set I don't want to tear it down. I can't recommend these sets enough. Minifig scale is good in its own right, but I just prefer bigger builds.

SubbyMinx
Dec 30, 2009
You guys are all finding series 2 minifigs in the US and Canada, but is there any sign of them in the UK yet? I can't seem to find them yet, although I've been working a fair bit, so not had too much chance to look.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
I'm not even going to try and find minifigs this time. I spent about $70 and ended up with a half dozen ninjas and crash test dummies.

I'll just buy the ones I want a la carte and spend a whole lot less.

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

I bought a few series 2 today, got Spartacus, the pharao, 2nd circus-dude, ski-guy, bayway babe and the mexican. I'm really, really happy with the first two.

I also noticed they still had at least two unopened boxes of series one. Unfortunately for all you US goons, it's in the Netherlands..

Robot Hobo
May 18, 2002

robothobo.com

Taeke posted:

I also noticed they still had at least two unopened boxes of series one. Unfortunately for all you US goons, it's in the Netherlands..
There's a Lego store a few miles from where I live. I've gone in there repeatedly trying to snag some series 1 figs, and I haven't even come close to getting one. I've been told by the people there that the shipments come in Monday mornings, and the collectible minifigs always sell out within minutes, even with the 5-per-customer limit. So the only way I could MAYBE get one there would be to take the day off work and show up at the mall early.

All I want really is a robot or two, a nurse (for my Mom), a couple crash test dummies, a spaceman (mostly for his gun), and one of those creepy-rear end clowns. Though if Lego turned around and started selling zombies in 10-packs, I'd definitely jump at that.

MaliciousOnion
Sep 23, 2009

Ignorance, the root of all evil
I see Series 1 minifigs everywhere in Australia. I don't think they're as popular over here.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

cakeslob posted:

in Toronto you guys are getting series 2 (already?)
Im in Hamilton and hit up toys r us all summer looking for any of them but they havent had a single thing except those aliens from toy story

is toys r us the problem or does hamilton suck(more so)?

Don't know, I never went out to get Series 1. There's a thread on Red Flag Deals, that's where someone posted about the WalMart I ended up at.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Would tan and dark tan work as a parquet wood floor?

e: or should I use brown and dark tan?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shuppiluliumas
Nov 9, 2006

Baruch Obamawitz posted:

Would tan and dark tan work as a parquet wood floor?

e: or should I use brown and dark tan?

I personally think brown and dark tan would look better, but I think tan is perfectly viable too. Depends on the kind of wood, I suppose. You can also try alternating old brown and new brown, if you want to be really fancy.

afflictionwisp posted:

Y'all are no drat help whatsoever, but there's plenty of time for you to redeem yourselves, 'cause this moc is quickly getting out of control.

These are funny as hell!

What's the specific issue?