Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Ninja Toast! posted:

I think he's right, I'm pretty sure that while you can use 5 different computers, you can't go between mac and pc without formatting it. At least the one I tried wouldn't let me.

Nope, I have both a mac and PC and use my ipod on both and it doesn't make me reformat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

I said come in! posted:

Nope, I have both a mac and PC and use my ipod on both and it doesn't make me reformat.
It could be that his iPod is HFS+ (Mac only) formatted and yours is FAT32 (Windows/Mac) but I thought they came FAT32 by default now. I could be wrong, it's been some time since I had a fresh iPod.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Virion posted:

It could be that his iPod is HFS+ (Mac only) formatted and yours is FAT32 (Windows/Mac) but I thought they came FAT32 by default now. I could be wrong, it's been some time since I had a fresh iPod.

This would be it then, almost certainly.

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

Was looking for a more general apple products thread, but I'm retarded to the point that I can't find it, so I figure I'd ask here.

Getting an iMac in the next couple of weeks, however with the new ipod touch probably coming out in mid September, if I get the free ipod touch with my iMac, should I wait until mid September? Or do they not include the brand new iPod touch models in the free/discount deal?

EDIT: Durh, the back to school deal ends September 7th. Probably specifically for that reason.

Sudden Loud Noise fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Aug 13, 2010

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I really don't believe that the cheapest ipod touch is going to include all of the new features. Its going to be a 2nd/3rd generation touch, almost certain of it. So I would say you are okay to buy your imac right now. You can just sell it for $100 - $150 and put it towards getting the higher end ipod touch with all of the new hardware which will likely be around $300.

PS1 Hagrid
Sep 17, 2007

I decided to update my second generation Touch to iOS4 and goddamn if it wasn't a terrible move. My whole user experience is a mess now with the device stuttering and crashing at every instance, slowing down to a crawl when doing anything more complicated than listening to music, WiFi connection dropping randomly and for a while iTunes didn't recognize the newly updated iPod at all. I had to tinker for several hours with drivers and such and now it shows up but I can't sync for some reason. :doh:

I wish there was a way to downgrade back to 3.1.3 because this is just ridiculous.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.

Hungry Bit posted:

I decided to update my second generation Touch to iOS4 and goddamn if it wasn't a terrible move. My whole user experience is a mess now with the device stuttering and crashing at every instance, slowing down to a crawl when doing anything more complicated than listening to music, WiFi connection dropping randomly and for a while iTunes didn't recognize the newly updated iPod at all. I had to tinker for several hours with drivers and such and now it shows up but I can't sync for some reason. :doh:

I wish there was a way to downgrade back to 3.1.3 because this is just ridiculous.

There is, just google. I've had a fairly decent 4.0 experience save for some lags and whatnot. Hoping 4.1 kinda tweaks the user experience for older generations.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Does any one in the UK know if this repair site is legit? I need to get the headphone jack on my touch repaired but the prices are all over the place and it's confusing the hell out of me.
I don't like the idea of sending it off to some website (paranoia ahoy) but the only repair place I can find locally is charging £70 for the repair. Can anyone in the UK tell me how much this fix should cost?

Lee Van Queef
Aug 27, 2007

by Ozma
iTunes is telling me there's not enough free space on my touch to sync my photos. I have 374 MB of free space and the only photo folder I have selected is 348 KB. What's the deal?

Archilochos
Jul 14, 2008
What's the general consensus on the amount of time it takes between the announcement of a new ipod and when it's actually available in stores?

I'm leaving the country for an extended period October 8th, and my classic ipod died so I'm buying an ipod touch to replace it. Obviously I would prefer the latest generation, but would I have enough time to get my hands on a new one if they announce it in say, mid-September?

xX_WEED_GOKU_Xx
Apr 30, 2010

by Ozma

Archilochos posted:

What's the general consensus on the amount of time it takes between the announcement of a new ipod and when it's actually available in stores?

I'm leaving the country for an extended period October 8th, and my classic ipod died so I'm buying an ipod touch to replace it. Obviously I would prefer the latest generation, but would I have enough time to get my hands on a new one if they announce it in say, mid-September?

They're available the day of the announcement, which is usually in early September.

Archilochos
Jul 14, 2008

xX_WEED_GOKU_Xx posted:

They're available the day of the announcement, which is usually in early September.

Oh, no kidding, I figured they were like iphones with a shipping delay and a massive wave of preorders. That's great! Thanks so much, that's a big weight off my mind.

xX_WEED_GOKU_Xx
Apr 30, 2010

by Ozma

Archilochos posted:

Oh, no kidding, I figured they were like iphones with a shipping delay and a massive wave of preorders. That's great! Thanks so much, that's a big weight off my mind.

There might be a couple of days' delay between the announcement and their availability in non-Apple stores, but at any rate you'll definitely be able to get one before October.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

I recently joined the rest of the planet and got an MP3 player, a 2nd Gen iPod Touch. I got it used on eBay for $125 shipped and I'm really digging it so far.

Maybe I'm just easily impressed but the very concept of a touch-screen blows my drat mind. Growing up as a kid I would have never imagined I would actually own a device that essentially had no buttons, and I would just touch the screen to do poo poo.

I've been grabbing a bunch of apps and games and poo poo for it, I'm having a blast with this thing so far.

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004
I am admittedly useless with Apple product but my girlfriend is having a problem with her new Touch. When we plug it into the onkyo dock that plugs into the receiver the thing stops playing music and says "Accessory Connected". I searched around a bit and found something called NoAccessorySplash but I haven't gotten around to installing it yet as I'm currently updating the ipod to the latest firmware. Has anyone else run into this problem?

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Does the Onkyo dock have controls on it? It may be designed to take over the iPod controls when one is connected, in which case it's operating properly.

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

Does the Onkyo dock have controls on it? It may be designed to take over the iPod controls when one is connected, in which case it's operating properly.

No controls on it and it's been working fine for the past couple months, just one day it stopped!

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004
Is there a way to revert the firmware back to an older version so I can jailbreak it?

1karus
Jan 29, 2006

The Fun Machine
Took a Shit and Died

two_beer_bishes posted:

Is there a way to revert the firmware back to an older version so I can jailbreak it?

You'll need to obtain a copy of whatever firmware you'd like, then when you do a restore, hold shift and click on the restore button in itunes.

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004

1karus posted:

You'll need to obtain a copy of whatever firmware you'd like, then when you do a restore, hold shift and click on the restore button in itunes.

Perfect, thanks so much!

LaptopGun
Sep 2, 2006

All I'm going to get out of him is a snappy one-liner and, if I'm real lucky, a brand new nickname.
Google will help you two beer bishes. You probably wouldn't try it, but don't try installing a firmware that came out before her particular generation of touch.

Ninja Toast!
Apr 22, 2009
Does anyone know if there's a good lavalier microphone for an ipod touch? Would just any that has it's own power source work?

Was thinking of this one http://www.amazon.com/Audio-Technic...82516849&sr=8-1

Also, what's a good app to use for good sound quality, or is the built in one usually sufficient?

Sammus
Nov 30, 2005

Is there any way I can plug my itouch into my computer and use it as a bluetooth dongle?

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.
In somewhat Touch related news, apparently Steve Jobs sent out another of his random customer e-mails claiming that the 3G's issues with iOS4 are being fixed soon. I would assume this goes as well for at least the 2nd gen Touch. Even before this e-mail, the thought has existed that the 4.1 update will fix iOS 4 for older gen users of the Phone or Touch so hopefully this holds true.

tunja
Jun 11, 2005
wtf is a tunja.
College Slice
I see that the OP hasn't been updated in forever, but it would have saved me a lot of trouble to add in the fact that if you don't have wifi, you're pretty screwed for trying to install apps on an ipod touch. Unless someone can correct me, of course, but I just spent the past hour trying to get anything working besides the initial jailbreak. Going to have to find some place in town with free internet I suppose.

IAmKale
Jun 7, 2007

やらないか

Fun Shoe

tunja posted:

I see that the OP hasn't been updated in forever, but it would have saved me a lot of trouble to add in the fact that if you don't have wifi, you're pretty screwed for trying to install apps on an ipod touch. Unless someone can correct me, of course, but I just spent the past hour trying to get anything working besides the initial jailbreak. Going to have to find some place in town with free internet I suppose.
Are you talking about Jailbreak apps? Because regular apps can be installed by connecting your iPod to iTunes in the absence of WiFi... :rolleyes:

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004

1karus posted:

I tried putting an older version on but it gives me error 3194. I haven't been able to find anyone that has gotten past this problem :(

Should I just wait for someone to figure out how to jailbreak the newer versions?

edit: figured it out

two_beer_bishes fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Aug 25, 2010

GET ME OUT OF FYAD
Feb 5, 2004
booyakasha
Welp, it looks like the new iPods will be announced come Sept 1st!

GET ME OUT OF FYAD fucked around with this message at 05:11 on Aug 26, 2010

1karus
Jan 29, 2006

The Fun Machine
Took a Shit and Died
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Kz0xxyDrjU

IAmKale
Jun 7, 2007

やらないか

Fun Shoe
I really hope there's a camera on the back, too, but my gut tells me it ain't gonna happen so long as Apple sees the Touch as "a gaming device" :sigh:

1karus
Jan 29, 2006

The Fun Machine
Took a Shit and Died
The conference's date has been confirmed as Sept. 1st.

toxick
Oct 20, 2008

Karthe posted:

I really hope there's a camera on the back, too, but my gut tells me it ain't gonna happen so long as Apple sees the Touch as "a gaming device" :sigh:

I dunno, the rear camera is an important part of Facetime calls. It would be a serious misstep for Apple to not include it. I think the real question is, will the rear camera be 5MP, with a flash, and capable of recording 720P video, like the iPhone? There were rumors that the new touch would end up with the 3GS's 3.2MP camera.

Only one more week till we know.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

toxick posted:

I dunno, the rear camera is an important part of Facetime calls. It would be a serious misstep for Apple to not include it. I think the real question is, will the rear camera be 5MP, with a flash, and capable of recording 720P video, like the iPhone? There were rumors that the new touch would end up with the 3GS's 3.2MP camera.

Only one more week till we know.
Now, even if the camera is 3.2MP, wouldn't it theoretically be able to record 720p video? I mean, 720p is 1280x720 and 3.2MP is 2048x1536...

IAmKale
Jun 7, 2007

やらないか

Fun Shoe

toxick posted:

I dunno, the rear camera is an important part of Facetime calls. It would be a serious misstep for Apple to not include it.
Wait, I thought Facetime only used the front-facing camera. Is one of Facetime's marketed features an ability to switch between the front and rear camera?

Edit: A quick search and it looks like, yeah, Facetime brags about being able to "share what you see" by switching to the rear camera. My hope has been restored! As for 3.2MP vs 5MP, obviously 5MP is more desirable, but 3.2MP isn't anything to snub.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Not major news at this point, but I got an e-mail from Apple today saying "Hurry -- September 7 is the last day for college students to get a free iPod touch with a new Mac." So that fits in nicely with everything else we've been hearing.

Ninja Toast!
Apr 22, 2009
Ok, so I got a microphone sort of, but hows about a good quality recording program? Anything better than voice memo out there? (non-jailbroken)

Ninja Toast! fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Aug 27, 2010

toxick
Oct 20, 2008

Ninja Toast! posted:

Ok, so I got a microphone sort of, but hows about a good quality recording program? Anything better than voice memo out there? (non-jailbroken)

There's an app called FiRe, and a free version called Blue FiRe. You might want to try that.

No End to Gulps
Aug 19, 2006

Go home and be a family man
So Staples (in Canada) had a deal with the Sony Walkman E series that was the 8 gig model for 69 bucks. Nah bad, I thought to myself - since I'm a huge CBC radio nerd and I would love to catch up on previous podcast programming.

The ball starts to quickly roll and I start getting images of grandeur. Why not get a motherfucking IPod, so I can DIRECTLY download the podcasts from the comfort of wherever I am in the house??? (I don't need an IPhone 4 because I really don't need a cell phone bill right now).

So here I am literally dreaming of owning this pocket laptop.
So my question is, what are my odds of getting the rumored Ipod 4 on the first day it's released? Do I preorder?
Can I purchase it, in Canada, at say Future Shop, the day Steve Jobs comes out on stage next week?
Or does history prove they're always sold out for a year, and are never released in Canada at least 3 months after the American release?
Do I need to seriously line up for this thing, like the Iphone?

Idioteque Dance
Jun 19, 2004

Dinosaur Gum

No End to Gulps posted:

So Staples (in Canada) had a deal with the Sony Walkman E series that was the 8 gig model for 69 bucks. Nah bad, I thought to myself - since I'm a huge CBC radio nerd and I would love to catch up on previous podcast programming.

The ball starts to quickly roll and I start getting images of grandeur. Why not get a motherfucking IPod, so I can DIRECTLY download the podcasts from the comfort of wherever I am in the house??? (I don't need an IPhone 4 because I really don't need a cell phone bill right now).

So here I am literally dreaming of owning this pocket laptop.
So my question is, what are my odds of getting the rumored Ipod 4 on the first day it's released? Do I preorder?
Can I purchase it, in Canada, at say Future Shop, the day Steve Jobs comes out on stage next week?
Or does history prove they're always sold out for a year, and are never released in Canada at least 3 months after the American release?
I got my iPod Touch about half a year ago and am still loving the poo poo out of it (though I've never found a way to subscribe to podcasts, only download individual episodes - is it possible?), and I'm also tempted by the idea of selling mine off to get a new one as soon as, but it's always a wiser decision to at least wait for the first reviews to come in to make sure there aren't any annoying flaws. It's not like waiting a week or something will kill you... as awesome as it would be. Just something to think about!

As far as country availability goes, if it's an issue... just import it from a US website. Seriously though, best toy for grownups ever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IAmKale
Jun 7, 2007

やらないか

Fun Shoe

No End to Gulps posted:

The new iPods are typically available on the day they're announced - I went in to an Apple Store the day after the iPod Touch 3G was announced and was able to stroll in, buy one, and get out in about ten minutes. It might take a couple days for third party retailers to get their shipments in, but other than that I don't think you'd have to wait long to get the new one.

• Locked thread